Consternation Population

Well, the travel weary Niners came back from their 2 game roadie, I should say the defense came back from their 2 game roadie. The offense is circling Turlock in a holding pattern. A pattern where no one gets open and no one catches shit. In a game that saw very solid pressure from the base D, the 49ers befuddled and harassed Aaron Rodgers well enough to win this game. Unfortunately, the offense is circling the drain amid more sniping from T Smith, and ineffective blocking. Teams are daring us to beat them through the air, and since we can’t block, we are struggling mightily to even get first downs, let alone touchdowns.

CK had another underwhelming day, and the blocking was it’s usual porous self, but VMcD had a big drop on what would have been an early 1st down, the refs got CK on a call that was ludicrous at best, we had the 1st Packer drive stopped but for a ticky-tack illegal hands, and a missed facemask call on BJ Raji.

Granted, those are little things that decent teams can overcome. But not us. As the game progressed, there was less and less time, more and more pressure, and dwindling confidence offensively as a whole. CK did hit T Smith on a nice deep pass, but that ended in a 4th and 5 play where an all-out blitz was met with the usual slow-developing pass play that had zero chance of working.

This offense is struggling with the same things that they were last year. Poor line play, and no help for the relentless pass rush CK faces all the time. I’m not even going to mention screens, because they won’t work against teams playing us so close to the line. How about a slant? A play that gets the ball out in under 3 seconds?

Either CK isn’t able to do this, or we just don’t have this shit in the playbook. I hate to belabor this point, but the Previous QB suffered the same fate. No quick hitters. No hot-read passes. No slants. I can’t profess to know, but I know Reid throws quick passes, and Young Sir Alex can make that throw. No reason to think CK can’t do the same.

But until the line play improves significantly (shuffle the line already) and the team comes up with a different strategy to slow down the relentless pressure, we will continue down this path.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

356 Responses to Consternation Population

1. Lurker John says:

I’LL BE A MONKEY’S FUCKING UNCLE! A TOUCHDOWN!

Wow. An actual touchdown pass.
    We need to mark this occasion. Actually throwing the ball downfield helps move the chains. Who woulda thunk it?…

3. rob says:

Kap
    Where my ninas at

knotted at 13 this late in the game? NIce!!!!

5. rob says:

Lurker how do u like our d now go kap 🙂

6. rob says:

I mean flav

Why not throw a long pass on a 3rd and 20? WTF not? At 1-3, what are you protecting?
    You get 4 yards on a low risk play — is that worth anything on the ensuing punt? The Niners have turned into some sort of pansy ass team afraid of its own shadow…

There is just no defending that! Nice play Beckham

Looks like the acquisition of Reggie Bush was basically a waste for at least the first half of the season. This guy gets hurt wallking out of the locker room. Boy, what a surprise…

Kappy looks a million times better than he has the last three weeks. Win or lose, get him a couple games like this under his belt and maybe he can return to his primo form.

Why would you run a sweep when you’re on the 2? Idiotic play calling in the Red Zone…

That play shows why this is a passing league, 9 times out of ten the receiver gets the call!!

Colin’s play is like night and day!!

14. rob says:

Nice kap answer back 20-20 flav

Where is the blitz??

Acker shows why good receivers who can’t catch are called cornerbacks.

Where the hell was has this been

Colin should keep the ball.

Why do the Niners seem to get down right near the goal line, then start moving backward? Run Kap on a roll and he either passes or darts into the EZ…

Exactly what they did. And, they get a holding call that gives them a first down…

Eternity of time left for Giants, with 3 time outs. Screw the prevent defense…

22. Lurker John says:

WOOOOO! Looks like the O woke up this week, boys! Wow!

23. Lurker John says:

Well, two TD’s in the red zone tonight, so marked improvement there, but they have to get pressure on Manning!

24. Lurker John says:

This is going to get overturned. Fuck! Lynch has to drill Manning and force a fumble. He’s been close all night, he’s due!

25. Lurker John says:

Acker has sucked ass.

Damn

27. Lurker John says:

Un beleivable. Thanks fucking Acker

28. Lurker John says:

Collinsworth has been sucking New York’s cock all night. What an asshole. Major chokeage.

The Niners have no luck what so ever!!

30. Lurker John says:

Bowman just doesn’t have it any more. That should’ve been broken up. Nobody accounting for Verreen all fucking night, secondary sucks. What a shit loss.

• rtfirefly says:

Bowman did a whale of a job for a LB on Beckham in that zone they were playing. Bethea’s the guilty party; he was late on the double team in the EZ. Unforgivable.

• Lurker John says:

Fine, I see that. Maybe Bethea went to take a shit firs, ’cause he was nowhere to be found. Bow jumps and he breaks it up too. And fuck Chris fucking Collinsworth. Got spanked in 2 SB’s and has had it in for the Niners ever since. Screw him.

31. Lurker John says:

The D plays good, the O sucks. The O plays good, the D sucks. They don’t touch fucking Manning all night. Jesus Christ.

32. Lurker John says:

Not one deep throw in 3 downs.

How do you not even get a pass off upfield in this kind of situation? That is really weak…

Look at the bright side. We’re only one game behind the Seahawks.

35. Lurker John says:

41 of 54 for 441 yds? You have got to be kidding me.

So, did the brain trust finally decide at halftime to turn the offense loose? I don’t get it. Meanwhile, the defense plays like swiss cheese in a game the offense finally shows up with a pulse. So what? The team isn’t near good enough to sniff the playoffs. I don’t see any reason for this team to go even 5-11 now, or some such. Too good to get a top pick, so any moral victory in that kind of record is really worse than worthless. Time to roll over and try to get the top pick…

37. Lurker John says:

The offense started to get it going in the middle of the second quarter, and looked pretty good the rest of the way. The line actually had a decent game after the first quarter and a half.

BLEEP moral victories………Niners lost the other A**holes won.

39. Lurker John says:

This really sucks. What a shitty feeling.

Looks like they don’t need Vernon Davis. Wouldn’t be surprised if they cut him…

Cut that prima donna. He’s worthless. The local media is very soft on him.

• Lurker John says:

VD looks done, but I said the same thing about Kap last week. Blake Bell looks to have potential as a receiver. Put him in there. The season is circling the drain and the brain trust has nothing to lose by trying something different.

VD is tentative and displaying a penchant for dropping passes or not showing up to play at all. He’s dead weight at this point.

41. Lurker John says:

They have to find a way to get QB pressure from week to week. Letting Manning just stand there all game long is ridiculous.

42. Lurker John says:

This is where Kaepernick drives you nuts. Last week a good many of us, myself included, were ready to run him out of town on a rail. Then he comes back in an east coast, prime time game and has a great game against a good team. It’s there, still. He made some great touch passes tonight, made two nice TD passes and completed about 2 thirds of his passes. After the first quarter, it was like night and day.

It’s maddening. Which Colin do we get next week?

43. rob says:

We made changes to the offense kap did well
    Now we need to put it all together and both O and D to have a good game

I only got to see the 4th quarter and that was enough to drive me fucking crazy. Happy for the offense tonight though we need a little gravy on something.

Notice how the media paints this loss as heartbreaking? If you’re in contention for something it’s heartbreaking. This team has too many holes to be in contention for anything. Only Kap believes they can still go 12-4. You need a Hollywood script to believe that.

46. Lurker John says:

1-4 sucks, but all you can look for at this point is improvements, and at least the offense showed that last night. Keeping it up will be the key. And I don’t think even Kap believes there’s a snowball’s chance in hell they go 12-4. That’s just media BS.

47. rob says:

Kap knows like we do. We’re a better team than we’ve shown so far. Tiller is in and Kilgore will be back soon. Not to mention trent Brown.

• rob says:

From what I saw last night the changes chryst talked about paid off. That imo is another positive.

Keep on guys

• Lurker John says:

Brown is hurt or just not ready for prime time?

• 12th Man says:

Coaches say not ready John.

They took Tiller straight from PS to the game day line up. He played the same amount of snaps as Devey. Niners did what I hoped they would do which was to change the O line up and the play calling to give Kap a better chance at making plays.

As Rob says, Kilgore should also be back soon because Martin is getting rag dolled out there.

48. Lurker John says:

Getting a good center back should help a lot with consistency.

No team last season with a losing record after Week 5 went on to make the playoffs. How useful is this? Not much, there were a whole mess of teams at 3-2, including the SB Pats and Seahawks. I always like to know who’s on pace for the playoffs, though. Today it would be the Pats, Broncos, Bengals, Colts, Jets (!) and a tie between the Bills (!) and the winner of tonight’s Steelers-Chargers game. In the NFC it’s the Packers, Falcons, Cards, Giants, Panthers (only 4-0 cuz of their bye), and Vikings (!!).

They may as well pay off R. Bush and send him off into retirement. They need a productive RB besides Hyde. Bush is so fragile a strong breeze is a threat to his health.

51. Lurker John says:

I agree Nipper. Cut Bush and make Hayne and Mike Davis Hyde’s backups.

The game winning pass happened right down the steps from where I was sitting on the side of the end zone.
    In this pic, the guy with the white hat and face paint was just down and to the right of me.
    I thought for SURE Bowman was going to knock that ball out of his hands.
    He was off by mere inches.
    Great game to see live. Would’ve been better if we could’ve stopped that final Drive of course.

• 12th Man says:

Competitive game NJ, glad you didn’t have to sit through a blow out like I did in AZ.
      I’m going to the Bengal game too, must be a glutton for punishment.

I hear ya 12th.
        Took plenty of ribbing during the tailgate about how badly the NYG were going to destroy us.
        Could’ve heard someone fart in the upper deck when we scored with less than 2 minutes to go.
        Then, of course, we left too much time for them to come down the field and cut our hearts out.
        Place erupted to deafening applause.
        Bowman was right on that throw too.
        Alas, it wasn’t meant to be on this night, sadly for those of us wearing 9er colors.

Keep the faith. Gotta represent. Even when things look bleak.

I will say that Geep at least tried to get the ball out of Kaep’s hand more quickly.
        OLine had some struggles on short yardage but, for the most part, they played well enough to win.
        Could have burned more clock prior to our final score.
        Gave them way too much time to utilize on that final Drive.
        Defense got a little too conservative I thought.

53. rob says:

CHUCK you there ? How about a new post ?

54. Lurker John says:

I think not accounting for Vereen was their biggest issue all night, especially the last drive. He went basically unchecked and killed the Niners at the end. You figure Beckham will get his yards, but Vereen?

55. rob says:

Oh chuckles

56. rob says:

Anybody here trying to call me ? Just got two calls from unknown number

Hope all is OK Chuck.

58. rob says:

CHUCK is probably on vacation
    BERGER gimme a call

• rob says:

I got an angle
      I know a world class athlete at Michigan. What one question would you have him ask harbaugh

• What in the world possessed you even more than that poor pea-soup-barfing little girl in D.C. to scar off Peyton Manning from signing with the Niners and ultimately choosing to re-sign Alex Smith to a 3-year $24M contract?

JH: We were only “evaluating” Peyton Manning.
        WCA@UM: No. Please answer my question.
        JH: We were only “evaluating” Peyton Manning.
        WCA@UM: Not the question I asked: Answer my question please.
        JH: We were only “evaluating” Peyton Manning.
        WCA@UM: Answer the question I asked.
        JH: We were only “evaluating” Peyton Manning.
        WCA@UM: Answer as asked.
        JH: We were only “evaluating” Peyton Manning.
        WCA@UN: I see this is going no where fast. Johnny Mac? Little help.

• JH: Beelzebub. It was Beelzebub all along.

That’s a “Godfather” reference for you mooks out there.

• Winder says:

what really’s up between you and jed.

• What’s up between me and Jed?

I’ve lit the votive candle at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Pinole. Along with that I wish each and every goddamn day with all my heart that Jed, all the Yorks, the entire FO and all the players (practice squad too) die in a fiery plane crash on their next charter flight and land into the “Deep Blue Sea” (The scene in the movie where Sam L. Jackson gets eaten by a mako shark is worse than god awful. But the hit it took on Sam L’s acting credibility after the movie was worst of all).

It’s time to hit the reset button on this entire franchise. It all must go. Time to blow it up. Time to blow it all up.

Blow. This. Motherfucker. Up. Ka·boom.

Other than that? Not much.

59. And I hate to have to post this here to respond to something that was said over on Skeebers’ blog, but since I’m banned over there…

I have to call South Park “shenanigans” on Spitblood giving rhyme, reason and advice to and/for alcoholics. I have the same response for you if I just learned from Gambling Anonymous that my new sponsor was Art Schlichter.

Fuck and you.

60. That comment had a harsh ending. Here’s something a tad more pleasant.
    Support your local PD and the HP. They do a great job.

61. And just where the fuck is Chuck? I think it’s finally high-time someone posed the question: is this finally…

Niners 30, Ravens 24

31-6 Ravens. I think we get creamed.

64. How bout that ending to the Spartans/Wolverines game? The Michigan punter didn’t know to just FALL ON THE BALL instead of trying to lateral it and have it p/u by a MSU player who returned it for the GW TD as time expired. BTW, that same MSU player hurt his hip while celebrating his TD in the end zone. Hurt it so bad he had to be transported to the hospital. Apparently he dislocated it while getting trampled on by his teammates.

What a bunch of mooks. Even more so than that Michigan punter.

What a minute. Michigan? I know the coach over there. It’s Jim Harbaugh! That punter didn’t know what to do in a critical situation. That’s on coaching. That’s on Jim Harbaugh! But why should I be surprised?

Jim Harbaugh comes up the smallest in the biggest games. He LOST two NFCCGs and a SB. Don’t throw any regular season numbers at me. It’s “Super Bowl or Bust” round here. Just ask my buddy Jed. But ask him soon. He’s already been seen pricing out “waterbed mattresses” for when he bunks with Luca Brasi. Jim Harbaugh is “The Biggest Loser.” And we ain’t counting calories. Yet I used to get lambasted on this very blog for calling him such from the get-go. Ha! I’ll ask yet again…

Did we fire Jim Harbaugh yet?

65. Man. Ex-Niner Mike Shumann (he says everyone remembers the last 49er to make a catch in the ’82 NFCCG [that’s Dwight Clark for you super mooks] but no one remembers who was the first 49er to catch a pass that fateful day. It was Schumann! Don’t believe me? Just ask Mike. He’ll tell ya. He tells everyone that) just ripped Kap a new asshole on the KGO postgame show. I don’t think anything was left of his old one after everyone and their uncle ripped it before.

“Kap has all the hardware but not the software. Doesn’t spend enough time in the classroom. Can’t read the pre-snap defense. Compared him to an NBA ‘Catch and shoot” player.” I won’t even get into what he said about the whole deal about his mechanics. Or lack thereof.

Wow. Catch and shoot player. That’s parlance for “we don’t want you to think (because you can’t), just play. Just what I want from my starting NFL QB. If this is what you guys have settled for, you can have him.

And the ripping didn’t end with Kap. In closing Shumann was quoted as saying that Tomsula has already let the inmates run the asylum. Big wow. That charter flight can’t take a nose dive the combined length of both Bob Hope’s and Jimmy Durante’s schnauzers soon enough.

Blow this thing up.

Oh! Speaking of Bob Hope, Svengoolie (best horror host since the late-great Bob Wilkins) is currently show Hope’s 1939 classic “The Cat and the Canary.” Not to be confused with the picture he made a year later, “The Ghost Breakers,” in which Bob uttered this hilariously famous punch line…

66. I don’t believe it. Spitblood has turned Skeebers blog into a fucking AA meeting. I’ve never wanted, no, needed a drink more in my life than at this very moment. Just my luck the house is dry and I have to go to bed now for early work tomorrow.

Maybe I should find a 49er blog that has turned into a Gamblers Anonymous meeting. I could bet on the ponies racing now in Japan.

But I don’t have a problem with gambling as their society suggests all members do.
    I have a problem with losing!

67. rob says:

No CHUCK yet ? Looks like us inmates are ruling the asylum

Lucked out there – you don’t often see Smith drop TD passes right in his hands.

69. rob says:

Nice pass

Kap to Torrey for 76!! Finally…

This team is so frustrating. Get a turnover at the oppo’s 29, and you don’t even once really throw into the EZ to score? And, the Raven’s defense backfield is nearly the worst in the league, just gave up a long TD to Smith. Championship level teams go for the throat — this one goes for the toes…

That TD pass was a thing of beauty

Smith let that one go right through his hands. The Niners have dodged two TD bullets so far.

74. zumiee says:

Chuck is on a job-related trip to Italy in an area with limited internet access.

75. zumiee says:

Looks like a lot of empty seats, if I’m seeing that correctly.

Niners are absolutely inept in the Red Zone. Might as well just take shots into the EZ outside the Red Zone instead…

• Winder says:

Agree not much to lose by trying

• snarkk says:

It’s obvious to me they are afraid Kap will throw a pick into a reduced amount of field, and don’t want to lose the default field goal chance. It’s just totally weak play calling. At 1-4, WTF do you have to lose?…

77. zumiee says:

The Ravens are pretty bad.

78. rob says:

Perfe coverage better catch

79. zumiee says:

Receiver shoved off and no call. Ref was right there.

80. zumiee says:

49er receiver was hit early, no call.
    That awesome NFL reffing.

Loss of Justin Smith and Aldon Smith has been huge for the defense. An impotent pass rush the entire season, and they won’t blitz to pressure the QB because of weak/rookie cover options in the backfield. Amazing they played as well as they did against Green Bay. The reduction in quality of players on the defense compared to just two years ago cannot be overstated…

Chalk one up for the joke grass.

$1 billion house, $20 landscaping…

84. zumiee says:

Nice catch!

Kappy should just pretend the pocket’s broken down on each play.

Kap needs to workin rolling left

LOL, it looks like he did just that.

Wide open!!!

Why is there no blitzing

Now here is a team that knows how to run the no huddle

Niner defense in 4thQ ahead goes into a coma. Just gives yards away…

GOOOOO PANTHERSSSSS!!!

If the Niners can hang on, they’ll be tied with the Seahawks for last. Some Thanksgiving Day matchup, LOL.

93. rob says:

Nice.win

Despite a decent first half, the Niners took 59:55 at home to just barely eke out a win over a really atrocious team. I don’t see any wins in the next 3 games before the bye…

• rtfirefly says:

Yeah, the last 5 weeks are when we clean up. Unfortunately, by then we’ll be 2-9 and any and all wins will just screw up our draft position.

95. Lurker John says:

Let’s go ahead and enjoy the win instead of finding reason to hate it. Jesus Christ, they won they fucking game and nobody here has any clue as to what will happen the next 3 weeks. Seattle isn’t playing well at all and Kaepernick has rebounded in tremendous fashion after it looked like he was done. Not much talk of that around here.

THEY WON THE FUCKING GAME.

John, they beat a crap team. Great. Barely. Niners are heading nowhere this season. I’m all for getting the best draft position possible right now, so losses aren’t bad. Call me a doomer, but I’m a realist. Like the Dubs did about 3 seasons ago, they tanked, and got Harrison Barnes. If they had won ONE more game, they lost that pick — a pick that helped them win a championship 3 years later. This Niner season is now all about identifying players to keep, players to dump, and positions of need. As well as identifying whether this coaching staff if worth keeping, or jettisoning en masse…

I really like the look kappy has shown the last couple of weeks. We strengthen our OL and figure out a better pass rush we just might have something. Redzone play calling really does suck and that is on coaching for the most part.

98. Lurker John says:

Snarkk, crap team or no, there are no gimmes in the NFL. The secondary is a disaster right now, yes, but they’re young and learning on the job. Same with the parts of the d-line. The team has put together two good games in a row after looking like a collection of stiffs in the previous 3. That’s a positive and something to build on. Seattle will be tough, they always but they’re floundering right now, band coming up here and putting together another solid game would be another positive, win or lose.

I can’t sit around all season believing there’s no hope for a competitive team this year. They won the game and I’m going to enjoy that.

99. 12th Man says:

Here’s where we stand….Niners won today.