Are You Finally Ready For Some Football?

The 2013 football season is finally upon us. After months of dreary baseball to keep us somewhat busy, and the occasional murder or drug/dui/ arrest, or the fun task of opening a beer by using someone else’s head as a bottle opener, the bullets start (figuratively) flying for real tomorrow night. Week 1 is a real burn burner what with the Broncos facing the Baltimores after the Broncos completely blew their shot to advance in the playoffs last year by forgetting how to cover deep. Manning gets his shot at revenge and gets his last gasp at reaching the Super Bowl.

Bengals/Bears looks like fun, as does the hype-fest of the NY Giants facing the re-un-invented Dallas Cowboys. Falcons/Saints looks to be a thriller, as does the Titans/Steelers matchup. But the game of all games for week 1 is the Packers vs the 49ers. The Pack isn’t used to getting beat 2 times in a row by anyone, let alone the resurgent 49ers. They Pack had been something like 18-1 vs the Red and Gold in recent history, and they didn’t expect this type of resistance. Aaron Rodgers had a few daemons involved in his playoff game here last year, as it marked the first time he had stepped onto the Candlestick turf as the starting QB for the Packers, his being snubbed all those years ago by the organization he grew up idolizing, and the fact the Niners had beaten them at home pretty easily to start the season.

Frankly, I’m not that worried about Green Bay. I think we can do what we’ve done these last couple games, and that’s to pressure Rodgers, force mistakes, and get the 3-and-outs. I also think, since we got into their heads so badly in the playoffs last year, we go away from the read-option offense. I think GB will overreact to how we beat them last year. To further this thought, I think we go away from the read-option almost completely this season. Sure, we may use it, but sparingly. That diamond formation I think will also be a thing of the past. Teams will be keying on that, and shadowing Kappy, so it basically takes a player out of the defenses we face. This can be used to our advantage. And, as apparently we were ‘predictable’ in our formations and play calling (per Craig Dahl), Eric Mangini, defensive guru, was brought in to unscheme us from predictability. To this end, I think we’ll look different offensively. This doesn’t mean suddenly we’re the Daryl Lamonica mad-bomber team of the 60s. Just that the trickeration comes out of formations, not read-option. We’ll run a little pistol, and the usual shotgun and Kappy behind center, but I foresee a more straighforward offense of short to mid-range passes, full use of the tight ends, and the usual power running game. As in the past, 3rd down efficiency plays a large part in how this offense moves. Key to this are the wide receivers. If the WRs can get separation, and consistently get open (and Kappy finds them), then this increases the chance of VD being able to exploit the middle of the field. If our WRs are ineffective, then VD can (and has been in the past) neutralized with double coverage. This is especially telling in the red zone, where VD had little success last year.

Defensively, the team to me looks a little bit stronger. Justin Smith is back to full health, and we have a little more depth than before. I think the defensive backfield is a big question heading into the season, but I think Eric Reid already has a leg up on Dashon Goldson. Reid has (yeah, it’s preseason) been in the proper place and made all the plays he’s supposed to make. He’s not the highlight reel hitter that Goldson is, but he’s a solid tackler who covers well. He didn’t get tested too much deep, but the times they tried, he was there step for step with the WR. Glenn Dorsey should provide some needed depth, but the D line is younger, healthier, and stronger with Ian Williams taking Soap’s place, and Dorsey providing back up. . My only caveat in that regard is to the status of the draft picks Tank Carradine and Quintin Dial. Both are on the Reserve/Non-football injury list. This means both are eligible to come off the list in 6 weeks and play. Reading between the lines of Harbaugh’s infrequesnt references to those guys, it looks like Tank stands a pretty good chance of being ready by week 7. He may just get the extra couple games off to take advantage of the bye week in week 9, and hit the field week 10 at home against the Panthers. Dial’s turf toe? No idea, but since they didn’t stash him on the IR I’d think they expect him to play this year.

Game on!

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

66 Responses to Are You Finally Ready For Some Football?

This off season has felt like it was never ending. Weird since it was the shortest in nearly 2 decades.

I am officially ready for some football.

Chuck I’m cautiously optimistic about the Reid enthusiasm.
    He was my top rated Safety in April and all but, he’s going to get tested early and often.
    Hoping he’s not going to be too jacked with butterflies on Sunday.

Aaron is deadly with the crew or WRs he has to work with.
    Our best bet is to dare them to run and clog his passing lanes as we did last year.

I have to miss the game on Sunday in order to be home for the Seattle game the following week.

Hoping to get the radio call from KNBR via the web and watch the replay on Monday.

• Berger says:

I picked Reid on my fantasy team. I figure being a rookie he’ll get picked on a lot which should give him a lot of fantasy scoring opportunities.

Hoping we can apply pressure with the front and keep our LBs clean enough to handle the expected running game.

I want to see is Clay Matthews blanked and frustrated.
    He’s way too full of himself.

Yeah, of all the Packers, Matthews has to be the most annoying. Again, though, I just hope the defense starts fast and learns from last year’s playoff dog shit starts. It wasn’t all Goldson but he played a part in getting burned early in the Pack game and the Falcon game.

What’s great about the Read Option is the hesitation it creates with the pass rush.
      Hoping Kaep goes after them from the pocket.

I’m sure Harbaugh and Roman will have a good scheme cooked up.
      You know GB will attempt to show a running game too.

I’m pretty confident i our ability to stop their run game. Which is why if we start fast, we can make them one-dimensional.

It’s in our building, that’s a plus.
    Looking forward to Kyle and Anquan together, since we didn’t see them during the PS.
    No doubt Harbaugh kept everyone guessing as to what was going on in practices.

He’s very much a Belichick clone in terms of disinformation and secrecy.
    Gotta be excited for Kaep and what things will look like this Season.

Berger, do me a favor if you can.
    Since this is the final year for the ‘Stick, if you can get your hands on anything ‘Man Cave-worthy’ that commemorates the final season there, (beer bottles, programs and the like), keep me in mind.

Much appreciated!

Anything with the 9ers logo that can be hung on a wall, or displayed on a shelf, is worthy.
      You can drink the beer, just send me some empties. 😎

I’ll hit at least one game. I’ll see what I can get.

Excellent – Thanks Chuck.
    I grabbed some SB labeled Budweiser products out here but, for obvious reasons, I can’t bring losing mojo into the Man Cave.

I’m going 10-6 record with a division win. I’d love to go with 11-5, but I think the damn division is too tough. Plus, the mid-season London thing could F things up on either side of it.

I think the Niners improve to 12-4. Seattle’s tough (I think we split), but I think we take the Rams this time around.

The only good news about London is they scheduled our bye week after the London game.

• This second trip in four years across the pond is once again courtesy of Dr. John. York’s the Chair of the NFL International Committee or whatever the hell it’s called. He lobbied for the Niners to go again. It’s horseshit. Even bigger horseshit would be placing a permanent NFL team (Jaguars) in jolly old England. They don’t want to watch our football and we don’t like their soccer. They need to get that through their thick skulls.

13. And thanks in large part to the London trip, the Niners top the charts in travel miles this year with 32,948. “You’re now free to move about the country.” And the Atlantic Ocean. And London. And England. And Europe…

The Niners in the 80s and 90s were ALWAYS the most travelled team, as the Saints and the Falcons, and then the Carolina Panthers were (inexplicably) in the NFC West. maybe it’s good for them. It was their most successful era.

Shit, there was one year (1995) where all the NFC West teams but SF were located east of the Rockies. It was:

Niners
    Saints
    Falcons
    Panthers
    StL Rams.

I still can’t get use to Thursday being opening day!! Sunday rituals, get Sunday paper, fix a good breakfast. sit eat, read paper with the pre game on the TV. Listening for when they talk about the Niners. Thursday I am at work, last thing on my mind is football. I get home cooking some dinner and the game is already going on. and it is still BBQ weather so I might not even be in the house. Thrusday opening day is bullshit!!

“bullshit!!” …..I concur.

• You want some shit and complete utter bullshit? OK. I don’t know if everyone is doing it or not, but here are my predictions for the division winners and the wild cards…

AFC
        East: Patriots
        North: Bengals
        South: Texans
        West: Broncos
        Wild Cards: Dolphins and Colts

NFC

East: Cowboys
        North: Lions
        South: Saints
        West: Rams

Wild Cards: Packers and either the Seahawks or our Niners. One of the two is going to take a huge horseshit on the track this year and miss the playoffs completely. I’m not gonna jinx it one way or the other.

Now go pay my PG&E bill so I can get my fridge back on. These Bud Light cans are piss warm.

Dennis, not to be a dick, but when did one of your superstitions not to jinx actually help the Niners?

Fuck our schedule, we’re going 13-3, maybe 14-2..,,
    Peyton Manning better appreciate the moments this year, it’s his LAST chance at winning another Super Bowl. What’s he got, 1? And it’s the slimmest of chances at that. At this point, his bro is clearly a better QB (and more accomplished). I’m watching the game tonight and will be rooting for Baltimore since I always root against the fucking Bronco’s who I hate…….

Shit, I turn on NBC expecting to see a football game, and I get this crap-ass country music shit. Kenny Urban? Now this title bullshit for the Ravens?

Fuck this over and over.

This is unbearable. NBC is doing all it can to douche up NFL games.

I got 12-4, Flav. I don’t think the Niners win in Seattle. Beating RG III on the road will likely be tough. A couple other losses will bite them in the ass, but they will be the #2 seed again.

Baltimore scores first. Love it! There are probably 3 teams in the NFL I’d root against playing the fucking Ravens. Bronco’s are one of em

I’m just watching for injuries. I hate both these teams. Actually I’d like to see the Ravens go down. Mainly because The Broncos will fail in the playoffs anyway.

Wow. Peyton looks worse than Troy Smith.

23. Alleykat says:

That was incredibly a stupid ass play by Welker on the punt.Not only should you have let it go in the endzone for a touchback,you fucking chocked it and gave the Ravens an easy score from the 2.Not the best way to impress your new team and fans.

Denver super lucky to be only down by 3. 7 pt favorites? Well, we’ll see. Baltimore is beating them handily right now and that’s with a bunch of new non-SB-winning guys.
    Could be a loooong year for the Ponies

25. Alleykat says:

Boy Al,and longneck Collinworth sure arent in md season form yet.
    Michaels..The Ravens with a 10 play 80 yard drive for the score.3 runs and 7 rushes????
    Longneck…Wow did you see how fast the DB closed to breakup that pass to Dallas Clark..Replay clearly shows Clark fucking butchered a TD catch ( right in his brick hands)with no DB close to him.

26. Alleykat says:

Baltimore doesnt give a shit who they injured.
    Both Michael Oher and Jacoby Jones knocked.out of the game by their own team mates.

27. Peyton just PUNKED John Harbaugh by snapping the ball before that pass (was inc.) could be reviewed. Alex Smith would have called a T.O. on his behalf. He’s such a nice guy…

TD Manning!!! Go Ponies. Fuck the birds.

• Flavor says:

I was hoping you’d spend this season babbling about Alex Smith, it shows the depth of your weird obsession with him. Anyway, keep it up, more content to power thru with your therapist …

• Nothing to babble about. I hope he breaks his fucking neck the first time his drops back to pass. Done talking.

• Flavor says:

Done talking about Alex Smith? Ha, that is a good one. You can’t breath out without some despicable comment about him dying or breaking his neck. I guess guys who believe in jinxes don’t believe in karma, eh Denny?

28. Alleykat says:

Birds self-destructing.
    Little pip squeak Welker with a make up TD.

29. 5 TD passes for Peyton Manning, and he isn’t even done with the 3rd quarter.

“But the Niners are better off with Alex.”

You people need professional help more than I do.

30. And if Ray Lewis is watching this game, I hope that fucking murderer is choking on a hot wing.

Wow. The Denver LB Treviathan drops the pick 6 a yard short of the end zone and gets his teammate Woodyard injured in the scramble for the ball. Total moron.

• Alleykat says:

What a fucking idiot that LB Treviathan is.Your lucky to get one.pick six in a career.And this retard has to showboat and cant figure.out.where the goaline is?
      On the big stage opening night with million of people laughing at your stupidty now!!! Fuckin hilarious..ROTFLMAO

Looks like Woodyard is out for the year. Ultra stupid play.

Umm Manning killed it but why the hell is he still in?

Both teams playing like they need quite a bit more practice time. This is the future of the league since the players got practice time outlawed.

Peyton wins big because he’s an old pro that can take advantage of what the defense gives and he’s pretty effin’ accurate for the first game of the season. Personally I love seeing the Ravens fail miserably defending the title. Funny how the John Elways run at Ngati though.

Any FF team playing against Peyton this week, sorry about that shit.

I like Denver.

Query: How do we try and keep Dennis’ chin from hitting the sawdust floor? It’s a long season and I fear for stable boy.