Would You Believe . . . Josh Johnson?

In the never-ending parade of injured 49er quarterbacks, Brody Purdy joins the list as he is undergoing an MRI on his oblique that he apparently strained during a 2nd possession scramble. I guess we will find out later today, but wow, the fun never ends.

This Seattle game has lost the bigger picture of being one that would determine the winner of the NFC West, but Seattle would be eliminated if they were to lose on Thursday. A win by them would still put them a game back, and even if they tie us, we hold a better conference record so the West is ours to lose. But this is Seattle. A team that always gives us fits. Well, except for earlier this year when Jimmy G came in as savior of the season. The 49ers have exorcized a lot of demons this season, flopping on a national stage, losing to the Cards, losing to the Seahawks, losing to Russell Wilson (ooops, not ALL of them), losing after the bye, so the hope is we can win this one, even if it happens to be with our 4th string QB. One that looks kinda like Geno Smith, the Seahawks QB.

Yesterday’s game was awesome in so many ways, but if we lose Deebo AND Purdy for any length of time, this season may fade away. Maybe Lance can come back? Who knows? The merry-go-round continues to spin.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

24 Responses to Would You Believe . . . Josh Johnson?

Good news is Deebo expects to be back some time during the regular season.

Shanny is very very lucky.

This is what Purdy said, I wish Kyle had this attitude about scoring

Even during a 35-7 victory over the 49ers, Purdy didn’t want to let up. The rookie knew what Brady was capable of doing if given the chance at a comeback.
    “I mean honestly, for me, I just kept telling myself, dude, this thing ain’t over with that guy on the other side of the field,” Purdy said. “I just wanted to keep putting up points on the board however many times as we could knowing this dude’s made all these comeback crazy comebacks in his career. So, I didn’t want that to happen in my first game as a starter.
    “So, the whole time I’m like doing my thing and stuff, not looking at the scoreboard knowing the situations and stuff, but also respecting who’s on the other side, didn’t want to give him a chance at the end.”

Love it. Just hope he plays Thursday Night.

I am liking this kid more and more everyday. What a breath of fresh he is for us. All he has to do is correct some of those flutter balls and I think he will be dangerous. It is amazing when a qb can spot the open guy and actually get it to him. Small sample size but I am sold.

Good thing the Niners didn’t get Mac Jones, he has lead feet, about as mobile as I am

• Berger says:

Considering how bad the protection he received was, and Patricia’s play calling, I thought Mac played great. We would’ve been good to take him, but we didn’t. I’m rolling with Purdy. If he continues like he has, Lance might be the back up next year. In reality, we should never have traded up and just taken the player that went in our original spot, Micah Parsons.

Zach Wilson looks even worse.

Both of those guys were pretty much thrown to the wolves.

Jones was drafted by a decent team. Wilson not so much, but he looks completely lost. Jones actually made some plays after screaming at Patricia on the sidelines. Jone is apparently sick of the dink and dunk offense and wants to go downfield more.
    AZ isn’t a terrible defense, but wow, that team is a mess. They’ve got injuries up the wazoo. And now Murray looks done for the year.

Well, it sounds like Purdy boy avoided a major injury but is ‘day-to-day’.

With this quick turnaround are we really gonna start Josh Johnson? This would be nutty in that we would be down to our 4th quarterback this season.

Win that game and the mind boggles. What I think MIGHT happen is Johnson gets the start and if things go fine, they roll with JJ. But if shit goes sideways, they bring in Purdy. Not ideal, but Purdy would get a 20-day break anbyway.

So I think Brock’s gonna go.

I think Purdy plays, if they win and clinch the division, then they give him a couple of weeks off, 2 games at the most

Yeah, crazy how fast and how far the Rams have fallen. I knew Stafford was a lucky fuck, but I didn’t see them falling completely off the table.
    AZ I knew was gonna be a yard sale, but even Seattle has exceeded my expectations as they grind towards .500.
    I figured we’d be in a fight with the Rams for the division.

And yeah, with only one team getting a bye, our winning the division this week will give us no compunction to winning out or playing all the starters. I actually kinda hate not being in a dogfight at the end, but them’s the breaks.
    Getting a 3 week break from meaningful games is weird. But it would give us time to heal up.
    I’d imagine we would treat these like preseason games and run the starters out there for a quarter or less to keep them sharp.

And word is Javon Kinlaw will begin practicing after the Seattle game. Be nice to get him right, but I ain’t holding my breath.

Still pissed off how they handled the DeFo situation.

14. Berger says:

What a great acid test. It will be good to see how Purdy plays with the crowd noise in Seattle. Something tells me that it won’t even phase him.

Prolly be a lot of Niner fans up there.

You could see Purdy was having fun out there. I don’t think the noise will phase him either. It’s pretty clear up here right now but who knows come Thursday

I read that Mason played 14 snaps on ST’s and 14 run plays. So that makes 28 plays and maybe that is one reason Shanny kept running Deebo. IDK.

I was wrong Mason was in there for 19 rb plays

Running back: McCaffrey 44, Kyle Juszczyk (fullback) 41, Jordan Mason 19,

Special teams: Woerner 19, Odum 16, Burks 16, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles 14, Mason 14, Thomas 13, Womack 12, Robbie Gould 11, Willis 11, Kroft 10,

If that is what it comes down to, Shanny is an idiot. Mason is much more valuable as an RB spelling CMC than an ST guy. Deebo is more valuable as a WR than an RB.

Fun Fact:

Both the Bears and the Broncos are 3-10 and eliminated from the playoffs.

Both have wins against the Niners.

• Winder says:

The true meaning of trap games.

Both this games were fucked up in that Chicago was Lance’s coming out party in a fucking monsoon, and the Denver game was Jimmy’s worst game as a pro.

The biggest factor in our resurgence is not turning the ball over. Something we were doing at an alarming rate early.

Ne thread is up.