The Deep Game

Through all the injuries and inconsistency around the passing game last season, there is plenty of talk about the need for a wide receiver with speed. Someone who can get behind a (Seattle) defense and score on big plays. The blogosphere certainly has been burning up with ideas on who to draft. Since our division rivals up north appear to be the only thing in our way of reaching the promised land, it would seem to make sense to build a beast that can beat their beast. How do we do that? Little T.Y. Hilton had himself a day against the vaunted Seattle legion of boom. He and Reggie Wayne accounted for over 200 yards on 11 catches. Houston put up big numbers as well in a game Shaub gave away. NO and Minn put up some big numbers, but that was because they were hopelessly behind. Still and all, to me a big thing missing from the Niner attack IS a deep threat.

Strictly by the numbers, the Niners were, uh, 30th in passing yards. Terrible. But  Seattle was not much better at 26th. So, what does this mean? Well, beyond the fact that the Niners and Seahawks were 3rd and 4th respectively in running the ball, it means you don’t throw as much as many other teams because you burn time running. Old schoool NFL football. Throwing 15-25 passes a game isn’t going to garner most QBs big passing numbers, but both Wilson and Kaepernick rated out 7th and 10th in rating respectively, and if you look at ESPN’s Total QBR, Kappy is 7th, and Wilson is 13th. That being said, of the top 10 passing teams in the league, 7 made the playoffs. The NFL is heavily tilting toward becoming a Mouse Davis run-n-gun wonderland of 4 WR sets, flooding the field with pass catchers, whether WRs, TEs, or RBs, and heaving the rock all over the field.

Back to SF, what is our plan going forward? Can we tweak the passing game enough to matter? Are we going to stick with this 1970s style offense of ground and pound? Like the QB that preceded him, Colin Kaepernick came from a wide open system where he’s now being converted into a pocket passer. Part of Colin’s strength IS the breaking contain and scrambling for big chunks of yards (GB must be sick of him), but his development as a passer is at the point where there are questions regarding his progress. And the reasons for this are varied and manifold. The lack of viable WRs certainly played a part. As did the inconsistent pass pro. Kappy however, locked on to WRs at times, and threw some pretty terrible picks when the play obviously wasn’t there and he forced it.  Then there’s the whole play calling aspect of which has been beaten to death. Without knowing the design of plays and options, it’s hard to figure if plays are designed to only go a certain way, but it was disheartening to hear Kappy repeat that he’d throw that pass to Crabs given that one-on-one coverage by Sherman 10 out of 10 times.

I’d much rather hear him say he should have looked around for other options and checked down instead of throwing the pick. Being that it’s only talk, and maybe it’s false bravado after throwing the pick and enduring the choke sign Sherman gave him, but Kappy needs to learn from that play rather than stick to his narrative.

What irks me is Sherman ALWAYS lines up on the left side and takes the outside WR. Why not put Crabs in the slot? This is also where a speed WR can help greatly. Put the speed guy outside, and Crabs in the slot. With Boldin on the other side, and VD running routes as well, you can gain some favorable matchups. You can even run better with 3 WRs out there.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

198 Responses to The Deep Game

Baalke intimates the team is good at RB. I still expect them to take a RB in the draft but reading what Baalke had to say at the combine confirms my own thinking that the team will basically stay pat. Less carries for Gore as they transition from him to whoever steps up in camp.

Revisiting the question of how many picks this year it is 12 including the comp pick. Unknown as yet what round the comp pick is but expected 3 or 4.

My take on the run or throw question is that the top 2 teams in the NFL were without doubt the Niners and The Squawks. IMHO (ok not so humble) is that the Niners are just a bit out of balance and needed a few more opportunities from the passing game. Had Crabs been healthy I think the Niners would have been the top seed.

I agree they need a fast WR, especially a slot guy for Kap to have some underneath to throw to.
    A field stretcher would also be good but Patton has speed so a quick slot guy is where i see the greatest need.

On another subject. Boldin has transformed the free agency prospects for the Niners. Before him the Niners were where you go to wither on the vine. Moss, Ginn, Westbrook, Jacobs etc. Skill players have been underutilized in this O and it’s hard to argue with the notion that it is because of how conservative the O is. The design is so narrow that players have difficulty finding an effective role. Until Boldin that is. Maybe his success with the Niners encourages other FA to believe they can be successful too? Better yet maybe the coaches are willing to expand the way they play on O?

Nah, it’s Roman and Harbaugh we are talking about.

12th, here’s the 49er draft pick list I got a few weeks ago. I have no idea where I got it, but it shows 12 picks, how we got them, plus the comp pick for Goldson:

1. 1st round: own – No. 30
    2. 2nd round: Chiefs (Alex Smith trade) – No. 24
    3. 2nd round: own – No. 29
    4. 3rd round: Titans (2013 draft trade) – No. 13
    5. 3rd round: own – No. 30
    6. 3rd round: Compensatory (Dashon Goldson)
    7. 4th round: own – No. 29
    8. 5th round: own – No. 30
    9. 6th round: own – No. 29
    10. 7th round: Colts (Cam Johnson trade) – No. 26
    11. 7th round: Saints (Parys Haralson trade) – No. 27
    12. 7th round: Panthers (Colin Jones trade) – No. 28
    13. 7th round: own – No. 30

There you have it., A bakers’ dozen of picks. I sduspect anopther trade up- in either round 1 or 2. Then some flopping around to get picks for 2015.

No I was wrong, the 2015 pick was from the Colts. Here are this years picks minus the Goldson comp pick yet to be announced. This list is off the Niners site.
    1. First round – No. 30 overall
    2. Second round – No. 56 overall (from the Kansas City Chiefs)
    3. Second round – No. 61 overall
    4. Third round – No. 77 overall (from the Tennessee Titans)
    5. Third round – No. 94 overall
    6. Fourth round – TBD
    7. Fifth round – TBD
    8. Sixth round – TBD
    9. Seventh round – TBD (from the New Orleans Saints)
    10. Seventh round – TBD (from the Carolina Panthers)
    11. Seventh round – TBD

Huh. We would have gotten a shitload more picks if this happened. Jim Harbaugh to the Browns?

Hmmm. Harbaugh, not the 49ers, nixed the deal. That’s one way to get rid of Greg Roman!

Got to wonder if Harbaugh is playing head games with the front office to get a better deal?

Did Harbaugh engage with Cleveland while his buddy Mike Lombardi was still there? Throw in the U of Texas shit, and you have the makings of a little gamesmanship at least in preparation for the contract negotiations.

CSN Bay Area is saying Jim Tomsula would have been given the nod as the new head coach had Harbs left.

I’d hate to see Tomsula sully his perfect winning percentage of 1.000.

Cleveland’s first 2 picks in 2014 plus Josh Gordon was the apparent offer.

Is Baalke getting tired of Jimbo?

Spitty must be in a coma. A comma induced coma.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY in their right mind, would willfully and with forethought go to the Browns if they had any alternatives.
    The Browns are among the worst run franchises, top to bottom, in all of sports.
    All smoke and mirrors methinks.

Jed’s in full denial mode. Hey, Harbaugh’s raisin de eaterie is to revive floundering players and teams. Pulling them out of the Dwight Clark/Carmen Policy-induced cesspool of mediocrity would be quite the accomplomish.

Baalke’s mouth musta been watering at the thought of Cleve’s 1st and 2nd picks + Josh Gordon.

13. Harbaugh nixed the trade to Cleveland? Sure he did. i.e., the Browns weren’t going to back up the Brinks truck to complete the deal.

Fuck Jim Harbaugh. Fuck the 49ers. Fuck you, Spit for already giving Jimbo multiple SB wins already. And fuck any of the rest who still want Jim Harbaugh as their head coach.

Did we fire Jim Harbaugh yet? This organization makes me sick. Go Rams!

Take it easy on the vicodin dude.

Florio has stuck his neck out pretty far with this Harbaugh trade story and the young Prince York has taken a hatchet to it. It will be interesting either way.

16. I hope to hell you people fully understand just how Mickey Mouse this makes us look. Please don’t misunderstand me, I would have driven the SOB all the way to Ohio if the deal went through. But it didn’t. And when deals like this don’t go through, this info can’t be leaked.

But it did. And you know what happens next? Within the next two weeks the Niners will extend Harbaugh’s contract for 5 yrs/$40M. I couldn’t despise Jim Harbaugh or this organization any more at this moment if I tried.

Go Rams!

I have to say I believe Jed York. If I’m York I don’t let Jim get out of town for anything. And why would Harbaugh leave the 49ers with Kaep to start all over with …. Weeden? From my perspective, I wouldn’t do it no matter how much money they offered. Move the kids and family and start all over with more money in my pocket? Move from beautiful SF to Cleveland? Move from Kaep to Weeden? Hell no. I’d be preaching to my players not to jump for more money as well, so I wouldn’t even entertain the idea if it was presented to me. This looks as though someone’s trying to hurt the 49er organization. Right now, I believe Jed.

From Jed and Trent’s perspective, you don’t entertain a million picks in trade because 1.) the 49ers’ roster is stacked, and 2.) there’s nobody to replace Jim. And money isn’t an issue either because the new stadium is going to rake it in. The only really valuable thing the entire NFL doesn’t have much of is coaching talent. The NFL has money and the 49ers have all the picks they need. So I don’t see merit in these trade talks. I think it’s a real possibility the Browns contacted the 49ers, but Del can ask pretty girls out all he wants but at the end of the day he’ll still be feeding ducks. The Browns are now feeding ducks.

• Spitblood says:

I will say this – Jed, Trent and Harbaugh should hold a press conference and explain this because Colin Kaepernick (in the mist of a contract negotiation) needs to hear publically that Jim didn’t consider leaving or Colin’s price just got a lot more expensive.
      Maybe this is why the Browns did this – to see Kaep’s contract sky rocket. Who’s the new GM in Cleveland? That bastard’s not making friends quick.

I believe Jed too, but something stinks here.

Harbaugh is not happy about his contract and wants more cash. They agreed to let him do Visa commercials to pick up another mil in total from sponsorships. You don’t see many current coaches doing that. The negotiations broke down once already when Harbaugh made plain he wants to be paid like a SB winning coach and the team has balked (pun intended) at that since he hasn’t actually won it.

It is reported that the team has offered a shorter term extension paying more than he gets now but not SB winning money but with the proviso that he gets that type of money if he wins it. Harbaugh has not agreed to that and I do think he is weighing his options and/or increasing his leverage.

I also don’t believe Harbaugh feels he owes anything to anybody be that players or anybody else. He will take care of himself and honestly that is how it should be. He took over a very good team personnel wise that was underachieving and turned it into a winner. That makes him one of the few turn around specialists in the NFL and highly sought after at the right time.

Tough to get a new gig now though so he is the Niners coach for at least this season.

12th –
    The one thing you’re missing or not factoring into all of this is that Russel Wilson will take less to consistently compete for Super Bowls. I guarantee he will. That’s the kind of leader his is. He’s more concerned with rings, his team, legacies, and staying on top than money. So if you’re going to compete with that, you need to do the same or you’re screwed. And Colin Kaepernick was already saying he would also take less. He said it either during the playoffs or right after the NFC Championship game. Kaep was on board. But now if Harbaugh is seriously considering leaving for the money only, going to the barren waste land of Cleveland, Kaep will say, “Why the hell am I taking less if Jim’s left for more money? Me and Jim Tomsula aren’t going to win anything… show me the money.” That’s what you’re missing when you write, “He (Harbaugh) will take care of himself and that’s the way it should be.” I agree Harbaugh should look to get paid, but he should leave. And it’s not a direct analogy between Kaep and Harbaugh because there’s no salary cap for coaches, but that makes the principle even more important. The body follows the head of the snake. If Kaep wants more and it’s well known, Kaep will too. Then we’re all in a lot of trouble, especially if Wilson takes less.

If negotiations with Harbaugh break off, and the inner circles of the NFL hear about it, why wouldn’t Cleveland throw an offer out there? That makes sense. What doesn’t make sense to me is the 49ers jeopardizing future Super Bowl runs by not paying Jim Harbaugh like one of the best coaches in the NFL. That’s a mistake by the Yorks. That’s the only thing not making any sense to me. If Harbaugh needs leverage, he’s found it. Trust me, he’s found it.

Spit you know nothing about what Wilson and his agent want, ditto Kap. An off the cuff remark when put on the spot regarding the other players is far from a home discount contract. Maybe they sign for less and maybe not.

Harbaugh is here for this year then enters lame duck status. Clearly there is disharmony in the organization whether the Browns story is true, partly true or pure fiction because twice now no new contract has been signed by Harbaugh. If I was a betting man I would think the 2 sides would find a compromise and work it out. I seriously doubt Colin Kaepernick’s upcoming contract negotiation has an iota of importance to Harbaugh with regard to his contract requirements.

I think you are attributing the milk of human kindness to Harbaugh but he is lactose intolerant.

“League sources have told CSNBayArea.com that 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would likely be the team’s next coach if Harbaugh were to leave.”

Interesting neither Roman or Fangio are thought to be HC material. I like Tomsula and Fangio, don’t see Roman as ready for the role to be quite honest.

We’re all entitled to our own beliefs. It’s all speculation anyway. Nobody really knows anything when on the outside looking in I believe Wilson will take less. I’m sure of it, but yeap, it’s speculation on my part. I also think, before this, Kaep would have taken less. I don’t give much credence (clear water revival) to the report that Jim Tomsula would have been made the head coach. I think that’s just CSN Bay Area creating more of a story for blog and website hits so they can get more advertising dollars during the NFL’s down time. Tomsula is an easy suggestion that floats because he was the interim for one game. The piece fits, but when you look at it hard enough, it doesn’t. Perfect for more web hits.

It will be interesting to me to see what Wilson does actually do now he does have a SB win in his back pocket. I think he has another year to wait though IIRC.

Spit, Hoyer ain’t half bad. Weeden was the dumbest pick in a while. Cleve actually has talent. With a good coach, they’d be in the same boat as KC last year and the these very 49ers in 2011.

Jed said there’s nothing to this. All the reports are saying Harbaugh nixed it. Cleveland is not really saying anything concrete. Sounds to me like Harbaugh’s angling for more money. I guess the question is, how did the 2 get together? Mike Lombardi’s last move? Did Harbaugh contact Cleve? Sounds pretty far-fetched.

With all the free agent questions, Kappy especially, this is a pretty shitty time to go into a money grab.

• Spitblood says:

I agree. This is bad timing considering Kaep. Forgot about Hoyer. Jury’s still out on him. But he’s better than Weeden. Hell, Del with a heat on is better than Weeden.

That being said, Spit, I’d believe Tomsula more than Roman.

4949 Centennial Blvd. would be lined with angry villagers carrying torches and pitchforks if that happened.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t believe there’s any merit to anything regarding the 49ers’ next coach. First off, Jim’s under contract. I don’t believe the 49ers took the Browns seriously. The Browns have nothing the 49ers want so the process couldn’t have gotten far enough along to where A.) the 49ers were thinking about a replacement and B.) they let their thoughts leak to the public. There’s no truth to the Tomsula rumor. CSN Bay Area is just making stuff up for web hits.

It’s not the 49ers that are the issue. It’s Harbaugh. Did he initiate the contact?

How did this even become a thing? I seriously doubt Cleve’s blowing smoke here. It sure looks like a cry for money and/or power by Harbaugh.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t know if I agree that Harbaugh’s at the center of this. I think the change in Cleveland front office lead to the story being leaked because the team knew it could hurt an opponent without catching much heat around the league. They’d just have to point to Lombardi… who’s gone. I think CSN Bay Area just piled on. I believe Jed when he says the story’s not true. I think it’s true that the Browns were interested, but like I said, Del could ask out Jenna Jameson but he’d still be feeding the ducks.

It’s just so fucking outlandish as to not be real. I mean what’s the upside for Cleve? To let it be known another head coach told them to piss off, after all the others told ’em to piss up a rope?

Wonder how long Harbaugh holds his tongue?

• Spitblood says:

There’s a ton of upside for Cleveland. They let their fan base know they were going after one of the best head coaches in the NFL instead of the past long list of lemons they’ve hired. Cleveland was going to hang the owner after he fired Chud recently. Did you watch those press conferences? Even the NFL Network was laughing at the owner. It’s a PR move to let the fans know the ownership is serious about winning. You drop a name like Harbaugh and they start respecting you more. Hell, I rode an elevator once with Jessica Alba, ten floors… just me and her. We talked. She was nice. See what I mean? If there were any girls on this blog I’d instantaneously be more desirable to them. If I wanted to push it, I’d say we exchanged numbers. Cleveland needed to push it.

Cleveland also gets to weaken an opponent. Nobody’s going to pickup the phone and listen to the Browns now, because they broke the Cardinal rule of talking to the press after an offer was made. The reason it’s a Cardinal rule is because even an offer can weaken a team. But again, an offer means nothing. Del offered to give me a massage the other day. I didn’t respond to his email.

Harbaugh didn’t leak this. I guarantee it. That only weakens Harbaugh when he’s at the negotiating table. I’m positive Jed York and the 49ers’ front office didn’t leak this. So it’s gotta be the Browns, who, coincidentally just fired their GM. To me, it all adds up.

Oh, I’m sure Harbaugh didn’t LEAK it. I’m wondering if he initiated the contact though. Maybe it was just a bullshit session between Lombardi and Harbaugh.

As far as Cleveland’s upside? Meh. Don’t see it. They got stiffed in the end by another team, and they are stuck with a middle infielder (Joe Pettini) as their head coach.

2 draft picks and Josh Gordon is not slim pickings Maybe they would have given us more… Ahhh, who knows? Some bs for the offseason I guess.

That didn’t take long. Harbaugh’s tweeting his denial of anything ever happening

Apropos of nothing, Windows 8 SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilson’s got 2 more years left on his rookie deal. $675,000 and $800,000 or some shit. Bargain of the year. I’m sure they’ll renegotiate some time between now and Feb 20, 2015.

Hah! An overrated band owns a football team? LA Kiss signs a QB.

Be still my heart.

Guess he gets props for trying to earn his way back. But LA?

I mean really. You think he signs with the Iowa barnstormers?

Harbaugh says he knew nothing about it, and I believe him. Jed says the story isn’t true and questions the wisdom of Pro Football Talk putting the story “on record.” Now Adam Scheftner says, “The Browns were kicking around ideas but never presented anything substantial to the 49ers.” This is exactly the Browns trying to fire-up their fan base and get some support when support is almost non-existent for the owner and front office. And this will backfire on the Browns……. big time. If I’m Jed, Trent and Harbaugh I go after the Browns in a big way.

Yeah, Harbaugh’s tweeting his denial of knowledge.

From ESPN:

When Pettine was hired, then-Browns CEO Joe Banner acknowledged there was one last “mystery candidate” out there who’d been under consideration but declined to name him.

Hey, maybe we’ll get their 2nd round pick anyway.

• Spitblood says:

Tampering. Fuck the Browns. This will definitely backfire on them. If I’m Jed and Trent and Jim, I go after the Browns with all I got. I beat the crap out of them in the court of public opinion.

Oh yeah, and one last thing….. Jim Tomsula. CSN Bay Area has been called out for bs like this a time or two before.

Schefter is now saying that Cleveland ‘kicked around’ the idea of Harbaugh, but ‘never really pursued it.’

All this proves is PFT now looks like a bunch of idiots. Nothing will come of this. No rule against idle speculation.

Told ya it was smoke and mirrors. Nobody with any brains or talent wants to go to the banks of the Cuyahoga.

Factory of Sadness indeed.

This Harbaugh story has some legs as does the underlying friction between the FO and Harbaugh that Kawakami wrote about. Jed may have been judicious with the truth in his denial which he has not allowed to be further questioned.
    Looks like a deal wash on the table, how serious is anybodies guess.

• Spitblood says:

Horseshit. The story has no legs because the Browns never had anything the 49ers wanted. Draft picks? Nope. Half the picks wouldn’t make the team and without a coach to coach ’em, talent gets squandered anyway. Money? Who makes Jed more money? Jim Harbaugh in the new stadium, or Norv Turner as the head coach? Jim Tomsula? Please. You don’t kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, particularly not when the 49ers are opening a new stadium.

The 49ers and Jim Harbaugh might be going through a tough negotiation, but so what? Then it’s a tough negotiation. These guys are professionals. In a tough negotiation you don’t let the wheels fall off, and they wouldn’t have, still might not, if it wasn’t for an immature, opportunistic and desperate franchise in the Cleveland Browns name dropping to potentially gain much needed respect with their fan base.

You negotiate hard and don’t let the two sides resent each other during the process. Jed York and the York family have hired Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary over the course of a decade. They aren’t going to let the best coach they’ve ever hired walk or be traded without insuring the next best option could compete for Super Bowls. And Jim has another year on his contract. A lot can happen in a year.

There’s really nothing to see here. The media got a day of work and wrote a few stories. And the Browns look dumb…… and dumber.

One more thing, Harbaugh has 2 years left on contract, he enters lame duck territory next year. This cat getting out of the bag gives Harbaugh more leverage and I expect a deal to get done but there is no guarantee. Owners aren’t known to enjoy playing second fiddle to the help.

Adam Scheftner (sp?) said the Browns never made an offer but were just kicking ideas around. That’s all anyone needs to know….. Next topic.

Lol, does that really work in your world?

1.) Idea
        2.) Approach organization to see how receptive they are to idea.
        3.) Negotiate
        4.) Offer
        5.). Trade

From what everyone’s writing the Browns were in stage one. This story never got legs. So it’s not really a story. If you’d like to keep writing about it, by all means – knock yourself out.

The accounts I read place them somewhere between 3 and 4 but maybe you haven’t read them?

What a BULLSHIT story. Shows how slow the football news is in the off season.

That deal would have required league approval and that would have been too hard to hide from snoopy reporters and professional leakers.

They’ve got a good coach in Pettine. Good D coordinator and possibly ready as a HC. Harbaugh has done great here, but given he was handed a great roster to begin with who knows if he’s able to build a team from scratch.

Kawakami belongs on a day time gossip show with the other ladies. “OK, here’s what I think is happening…”

NoFear,
      You might be slighting Harbaugh a little when saying he was handed a great roster. There were definitely some nice pieces that McCloughan, Nolan and Singletary brought in because of their bad records giving them high draft choices. But Harbaugh and Baalke made important adjustments immediately to the roster and this required them to not only correctly evaluate the team but have offensive, defensive and special teams philosophies when building the roster into what it is today. Nolan and Singletary didn’t have cohesive offensive philosophies. I know Nolan lost his offensive coordinators a lot.

Harbaalke brought in guys like Culliver, Aldon, Whitner, Goodwin, Moss, Rogers, gave Boone a chance, but most importantly, Harbaugh rejuvenated Alex Smith’s career. Smith might have still gotten the Chiefs’ job even without Harbaugh’s tutelage (because Andy Reid was a fan), but Smith’s psyche was shattered. He was on the ropes. Harbaugh deserves a lot of credit for picking Smith up, dusting him off and taking Smith to the NFC Championship game.

It’s fair to say Harbaugh’s fallen short on two occasions (taking Smith to the NFC Championship game isn’t falling short. In my opinion, that’s over-achieving). But learning to win championships is a process. Some, like Bill Walsh, figure it out quicker. Others take time. But even Bill Walsh was in the NFL a long time before he won championships. Bill Cower, Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin, even Pete Carroll, all took time as NFL head coaches learning how to win Super Bowls. Wooden was UCLA’s head coach for something like 15 years before he starting winning championships, and he’s considered one of the best coaches in all of sports. It’s a process and Harbaugh has earned at least a five year deal. Five more years of Harbaugh figuring out how to win a Super Bowl. I’d bet he does just that, with the added benefit of making Del’s head explode.

A bullshit story just dragged out of a reporters ass on a slow news day during combine week? Yeah sounds plausible.

The fact is that for whatever reason the deal didn’t happen.

The idea that some of the biggest names in the sports news biz made it up is bullshit. Reputable reporters don’t stand behind a story that is denied by the principal’s without solid evidence. A quick retraction is far easier than continuing the story line in effect calling the principals liars.

I don’t know exactly what went down or how far the process got but that something happened is a far stronger possibility than reporters continuing to stick their necks out just to make news.

I don’t slight Harbaugh. I’m the first one to say he’s done a remarkable job and achieved a remarkable win/loss record in his time here. He’s not my top choice in coaching styles but he’s getting it done so that’s my problem. Outstanding players make good coaches.

I’m saying he hasn’t had to build a winner from a bad team or suffer the losses in players and coaches many other HCs do. Maybe we’ll yet see how he handles losing streaks or other forms of adversity eventually, though I’m in no hurry for that test. I’d hate to see him take a job like Cleveland’s and fizzle out.

And I didn’t say the story came out of some reporter’s ass. I beleive the story came from Cleveland’s people. No surprise that they looked at and discussed a lot of options in their search for their next head coach. That doesn’t mean they got far enough in their spitballing to offer Harbaugh anything.

Also no surprise the media, even reputable reporters, if there is such an animal, got it wrong and wanted to sensationalize it in hopes of scooping a big story. Like war, in sensational reporting competition, truth is the first casualty. And like most reporting in the media, it usually takes three days to get it right, if then.

• Spitblood says:

I completely agree, NoFear. Well articulated. Who in their right mind would want to takeover a job where you had to spend 3-5 years building it up from scratch? I don’t think any good coach wants to do that.

Cleveland isn’t in that bad shape. Not that it matters. They have a good young team in desperate need of coaching. I have no idea about Pettini other than he was a middle infielder for the Giants in the 80s.

Every report I’ve heard says ‘NFL sources’ so you take that for what it is. Every ‘NFL source’ says the Niners were involved with the talks, however preliminary. There has to be some truth to it. These guys lied about Manning, and Harbaugh went into full denial mode. Nothing really new.

Then Harbaugh sobered up and realized it was Cleveland. They suck with a Capital C. They are NOT KC last year. KC last year was a good team with a HS QB. They played several contenders tough. including an OT loss in Pitt when the Steelers were rolling.
    These are the Browns we are talking about. When was the last time they won their division? Made the AFC Champ game? I mean, how old is Brian Sipe now, anyway?

The recent 49er lies that I think are relevant are the lies Trent Baalke just tried to pass off on unsuspecting members of the press at the combine. Actually, it was duet preformed by both Baalke and Harbaugh, AKA Harbaalke.

At the combine, Trent Baalke was asked if he felt giving away any information was good or necessary. He said there’s no advantage to talking too much at the combine. Then he talked for a while about not trading La Micheal James and how happy he was with the 49ers’ current backfield. Those two issues – current needs in the draft and current assessment of the team aren’t that different. Translation: If Harbaalke are talking about something at the combine, it’s a smoke screen. Maybe even a dang-gum blasted lie.

Media press conferences with Baalke and Harbaugh are interesting. Nobody ever really gives it to ’em with hard questions. But some members of the media do ask tough questions that get side-stepped by Harbaugh and Baalke, but few members of the press continue to follow up. Most of the time when a tough question is asked, Harbaalke lie. I could careless about the Browns report- that’s a none issue as far as I’m concerned. I’m talking about the 49ers’ tipping their hands regarding the draft.

Jim Harbaugh was asked if the 49ers were happy with Frank Gore’s play last year. Nobody asked (probably out of respect) if Gore was done. Not wanting to debate the topic and draw attention to 49er needs, Jim Harbaugh gave Frank Gore a grade of “A Plus, Plus.” Really? Sounds like hyperbolic denial to me. Might be a smoke screen. 14 yards on 11 carries in the NFC Championship game? “A plus, plus?” I wonder what Harbaugh’s public grade would have been if the player was younger with some learning to do and this wasn’t the combine?

Trent Baalke coming out and saying they won’t trade LaMicheal James isn’t exactly a lie, but it’s also not the truth. Anyone is tradeable, especially a second round pick who’s young, fast, versatile and didn’t produce in his second year at all. Especially someone who was shaky at the only job he owned on the team.

I wish media events or press conferences had better audio. I wish I could hear the questions of the press better. That seems to be something the NFL overlooks. Maybe they don’t give the press a voice intentionally, who knows? But questions from the media generally touch on topics the fans are either rumbling about on social media, or they’re questions the press (who most of the time are fans as well) hope the 49ers will address. And Harbaalke aren’t dumb. They know when the press is asking questions about the 49ers’ backfield, there’s a reason for it. Harbaalke shutting the dialogue down about our backfield might not prove to be smoke and mirrors, but if I was a betting man, I’d say where there’s smoke (and mirrors), there’s usually fire. But I admit, this might be wishful thinking. Either way, I hope our backfield is seriously address in this year’s draft.

45. Nineteen days of sobriety out the window courtesy of Jim, Jed and the entire San Francisco 49ers organization. That’s all right. I know one thing for goddamn sure. When I meet you cocksuckers in hell: you’re buying.

Maker’s Mark?

• Spitblood says:

Del – start again. You don’t start over. You just start again.

• Launching into a new Jack London book, auto-biographical “John Barleycorn Memories”. Here’s the first paragraph:

It all came to me one election day. It was on a warm California afternoon, and I had ridden down into the Valley of the Moon from the ranch to the little village to vote Yes and No to a host of proposed amendments to the Constitution of the State of California. Because of the warmth of the day I had had several drinks before casting my ballot, and divers drinks after casting it. Then I had ridden up through the vine-clad hills and rolling pastures of the ranch , and arrived at the farm-house in time for another drink and supper.

Jack London. John Barleycorn (Kindle Locations 30-33).

46. Spit, I see you not only enjoy, but use at every chance to throw the mallards back in my face. My mallards make for the perfect analogy given that Harbaugh still has two years left on his contract: Harbaugh’s a lame duck.

That’s a laughing matter. But you think this mallard thing of mine is some sort of joke? You don’t know a goddamn thing about my mallards. The bond I have with mallards is both requited and privileged. Why should I give you answers? Oh, you think you’re *entitled* to answers?

Son, we live in a world that has mallards, and those mallards have to be fed by men with bread. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Nipperburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the fisherman, and you curse the duck feeders. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That the fisherman’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that Pinole Creek Bridge, you need me on that bridge. We use words like drake, mottled, migrate. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent nurturing mallards. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who fishes and pisses under the water of the very ecosystem that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a loaf of bread, and start feeding. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

• NoFear49er says:

Did you order the code Redhead?!

• NoFear49er says:

I fed the ducks you sent me to feed.

Did you order the code Redhead?!

You’re goddamn right I did.

thus ends the saga of poor Santiago the mexican grebe trying to fit in with the mallards for a soggy scrap of San Francisco sourdough.

… and shortly Dennis is seen limping his way home and heard muttering to himself,
        I’m gonna tear your eyes right out of your head and piss in your dead skull. You fucked with the wrong marine-biologist.

• Spitblood says:

They should have put your mallards in a glass jar on a mantlepiece. Where were you when Donald Duck was suckling at his mother’s teet? Where were you? Who was nursing you, poor Del – a mare at the track? That duck pond has been had. Nothing you can do about it. It’s gone. It’s had. You lose. Drainage! Drainage, Del, you boy. Drained dry. I’m so sorry. Here, if you have a duck pond, and I have a duck pond, and I have a straw. There it is, that’s a straw, you see? Del are you watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your duck pond… I… drink… your… duck pond! I drink it up!!! Did you think your song and dance and your superstition would help you and your ducks, Del? Spitblood is the Third Revelation! Spitblood is who the Lord has chosen!

Del as a youngster, many moons ago, I can vividly recall joining my Grandma, for duck feeding strolls at a lake near her home.

We however, used oyster crackers.
      Fun times indeed.

A taller WR to watch later today in Indy – Sammy Watkins’ team mate, Martavis Bryant.
    I’ve seen conflicting numbers on his 40, which should get cleared up.
    At 6’5″ it’s been reported that he can go under 4.4.

2 guys in the ‘tall’ category would be Martavis and Brandon Coleman, 6’6″ 220s.
    All these numbers will now get ironed out and finalized.

Donte Moncrief isn’t quite as tall but, he’s a thicker guy that can run as well.

Shitty thing is, if Davante Adams puts up a good 40 time, he could rocket up to the 1st round. Which would suck as we’d likely miss our chance.

Speaking of the Tall Man. . . .

You play a good game, boy. Now it’s time to die!

My all time favorite horror flick.

49. Del Mar read my comment to yer “19 days sobriety” post before Chuck switches the channel on us. Interesting book by Jack London…

In answer to my owm question, the Browns made the AFC Champ Game from 1986-1988, losing to John Elway each year. So I retract my statement that Jimbo going to Cleveland would never happen because nobody is so completely idiotic and/or insane as to even remotely in their wildest nightmare consider going to that miserably cold, rusty, polluted team (you thought I was writing of the city, huh?).
    If Cleveland dumps their owner and GM, and drafts Bernie Kosar, it could be a great idea.

I just don’t see it in the NFL with Johnny Manziel. I don’t think he’s going to be a good pro. I think being a risk taker and showman is ingrained in who he is, and I don’t think any head coach will be able to change or control that. I think Manziel will be entertaining, and certainly he’ll win games in the NFL – maybe even some in his rookie year depending on who drafts him. But I don’t think he’ll ever be the quarterback for a team that seriously contends for Super Bowls on a yearly basis. I think Manziel will be even more Brett Favre than Favre, and without Holmgren, Manziel probably won’t have a strong personality to hammer on Manziel to stay within the system. Manziel will lose games trying to scramble or just blindly throw it up. He’ll get more and more desperate and hit rock bottom in his second or third year. Then he’ll try to salvage his career, claiming he’s a changed man who will hold onto the football and not turn it over. And he will be able to do that for the majority of the time, but in the big games he’ll revert back to “Bad Johnny.”

Manziel is accurate with the football. He can also scan defenses quickly, and can read them. He’s obviously elusive. The only physical quality he seems to lack is arm strength and this is huge. I’ve always thought that a lack of arm strength is overrated – a lot like the 40 yard dash times at the combine. But when you’re a terrible decision maker, you need arm strength to get you out of trouble, and Manziel’s a terrible decision maker.

It’s funny but if you look at Cam, Russell and Kaep, all three of their head coaches kept them from doing too much and all three were right there to the end. It’s the Alex Smith style of play being harnessed or forced on running quarterbacks. Coaches are insisting qbs don’t force it and live to fight another day. Alex Smith simply won’t gamble. He won’t throw it into double coverage. That’s not why I hated Smith. I hated Smith because his delivery was slow, he wasn’t consistently accurate and certainly wasn’t accurate deep. Smith also sat in the pocket too long and couldn’t extend plays, throwing deep after evading tacklers. However, with all of Smith’s physical short comings, Smith was still successful under both Reid and Harbaugh because Smith’s conservative mind set kept him in games (or put another way, his lack of turnovers never let the game get too far out of hand).

Manziel is on one side of the spectrum, Smith on the other. They’re both opposites, but neither is a good. You want someone right in the middle – a play maker who can control himself. If you have to chose between the two, you take the play maker (not Micheal Irvin who’s awful btw on the NFL Network), and hope you can coach him to throw the ball away or take the sack and not fumble. But I can tell you aren’t going to be able to do that with Manziel. I’d bet dollars to donuts Manzeil will be that guy who can’t help himself on the football field – the guy who has to make the spectacular play.

If I was the Houston Texas I’d draft him anyway…. knowing all this might be the reality for Johnny. The Texans bore my socks clean off. I watch a Texans game on the coach, start day dreaming, the look down and my socks have fallen of due to extreme boredom. That’s the most boring franchise in the history of franchises. Only entertaining thing to ever come out of that franchise was the Andre Johnson, Cortland Finegan fight. After that? Major yawner. That team will never win a Super Bowl without getting a little PE-Zaz infused into the organization. Manziel will be a freak show, but that’s what Houston needs.

A few years ago Michael Vick was all the rage and now he’s useless frequently getting hurt until he stays on the sidelines. Manziel may be the second coming in college but most likely his exploits will be more modest as a pro. It has happen to others such as RG III. NFL Defenses love a risk taker giving them more opportunities for turnovers and interceptions.

How about Dri Archer blowing up the Combine?
    This kid is Tavon Austin with some bigger upside IMO.
    5’8″ 173 is definitely a Pocket Rocket.
    Unofficial 40 at 4.28 with a 1.46 10yd split.
    38″ Vert as well.
    Rocked the bench (20 reps) with the Big Boys too.

I’m in for this kid at a good price, 5’8″ or not, he brings it.
    You want a ‘Joker’? He’s the Man.

Disappointed with Jarvis Landry however, 4.77? Ouch.
    Even Davante Adams was a little slower then I had hoped.

Keepers remain as Donte Moncrief, Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Bradin Cooks and Martavis Bryant.
    Good looking group of WRs.
    Moncrief could be Crabtree with more size and speed.

Brandin Cooks that is.
      You want a field stretcher ala T.Y. Hilton?

Dri Archer is my answer.

• Archer spent the majority of his time at K St. playing RB. But he excelled in the slot as well. No doubt his small frame will dictate that he does just that in the NFL. If we drafted him as a RB, at least that would help placate Spit.

Great name of Archer. Best/most famous archers of all-time? In no particular order…Howard Hill, Green Arrow, Cupid, Robin Hood and William Tell.

• Spitblood says:

If they draft Archer as a running back that will not placate me. It’ll have the opposite effect. We already have a bunch of small backs who get hurt and fumble. I want stronger backs who hold the football and can take a beating – with fresh legs. Devanta Freeman reminds me of a smaller Stephen Jackson. And he’s got some Marshawn Lynch to him. If we draft Freeman, I’ll be happy as a clam at high tide.

• rtfirefly says:

It would placate me as the one and only one RB I might draft. Can he catch and run? If so I’d consider him in the backfield and spot use in the slot.

• Spitblood says:

So LaMicheal James can’t catch and run? Please. It’s all about how we use players in our scheme. We need a mulit talented, larger back…. or two.

Spit I thought LMJ would offer more too.
        He’s MIA for some reason.

You’re guy Freeman turned in a pedestrian 4.58 with a 31.5″ vert.
        Not stellar.

I’m impressed with Bishop Sankey from UWash after today’s numbers were released.
        4.49 35.5″ vert along with 26 on the bench.
        There’s plenty of options.

Jerick McKinnon from GA Southern, 5’9″ 209 with a 4.41 and 40.5″ vert. 32 reps on the bench as well. Impressive.

I’m taking Ka’Deem Carey off my list too.
        He barfed on the 40 also. 4.70.
        Ouch.

• rtfirefly says:

What’s LMJ’s 40? Serious question, not snarky. Archer’s sounds like Mach 3. Again, he’d have to be able to CATCH and run or else I’m not interested.

Another RB, Damien Williams from OK, 5’11” 222 turned in a 4.45
        Didn’t lift well though.
        His numbers in College were excellent though.

One number that suggests burst, is the 10yd split.
        Dri Archer posted a 1.46, which you’d expect from a little speedster like him.

Another RB that did it was Jerick McKinnon at 5’9″ 209.

If Dri Archer were Drafted in SF, I’d be shopping LMJ to the highest bidder.

RT Dri Archer posted 99 rec for nearly 1200 yds with 12 TDs.
        He’s a Mitey Mite.
        Kick returns, receptions, and over 2300 yds as a RB too.
        7.2 YPC, 24 rushing TDs.

I’d take him in a NY minute. Kid is a blur.

He’s Tavon Austin with more muscle and probably more versatility.
        Plus, he wouldn’t cost us a 1st RD Pick.

• rtfirefly says:

Thanks, NJ. There’s my slot receiver/backfield naked screen dump off guy. Where’s he projected to go?

RT the info on LMJ indicates he ran 4.45 at his Combine.

I just don’t think he’s the receiver that Dri Archer is.
        We also know LMJ isn’t prolific in the KR game either.

All I’m suggesting is, grab talent and let them compete in Camp.
        I’m betting Dri is an improvement over LMJ.

• rtfirefly says:

Guy like that combined with VD could open up a lot of short stuff for Crabs and Boldin. Now we need a BIG hands possession guy and we’re good to go at WR.

• Spitblood says:

NJ, I’ve always said it, and I’ll say it again. Speed means absolutely nothing at the combine. Didn’t mean anything for Alshon Jeffrey, or Mohammed Sanu. Speed at the combine means nothing. If you’d like, go draft yourself the next Mike Mamula.

RT –
        ESPN has Archer ranked at 141.
        Simple math would suggest that’s the 4th RD.
        With his size being the concern I’m sure.

What 5’8″ guy throws up 225 20 times?
        This kid out performed many of the Linemen.

I’m all for speed.
        Add his hands and versatility, along with some muscle, and I’m turning in the Pick.
        Will he last to RD4?
        Sh!t if I know.
        Baalke makes that determination of course.
        Slotting is the key in the Draft game.

Mamula was a Combine Rat Spit.
        Watch some tape and decide if the kid can play football.
        I’m saying speed at the right position, like a slot receiver or KR, is a bonafide weapon.

DBs can’t cover what they can’t catch.

• rtfirefly says:

I go 4 wide like this:
        a xxxxxb
        c d e

or some variation thereof and I guarantee someone will get open. Formation suited to a strong side rollout.
        a=Crabs medium down and in
        b=VD with a chip block then fly
        c=Boldin short slant
        d=Archer flyin’, if he sees corner blitz, stop and be outlet
        e=TBA medium down and out

• Spitblood says:

NJ – How fast do you think Frank Gore can run a 40? Right now? I honestly think it’d be in the range of 6.2 – 6.5, And I’m not kidding.

Spit Frank and the speed argument aren’t in the same conversation.
        Frank is a quick-hitter that isn’t as quick any longer.
        My point about the 10 yd split is how I think our running game is based.
        Hit a crease quickly, pop through, get on the second level.
        That’s where Frank is laboring.
        No more second gear.

We need better speed, between the Tackles, without question.
        Having speed is always better then being without it.

• rtfirefly says:

F@$#%. c should be off the line inside a, d and e to the right side off the line

T.Y.Hilton – Combine Numbers –
    Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad Bench
    5′ 10″ 183 lb 4.34 s 1.53 s 2.51 s 4.36 s 7.03 s 35.5″ 9′ 11″ 7 reps

Dri Archer –
    5′ 8″ 173 lb 4.28 s (Un) 1.46 s NA NA NA 38″ 10′ 2″ 20 reps

Little Jimmy Haslam needs to shut the fuck up already. He’s totally fucking with our front office and trying to spread discontent.

55. That’s all it is: “Hey look at me, I’m fucking with the big shot 49ers, ain’t I cool?”

56. Ditka refuses to go quietly into the night. He knocks Obama and supports Goodie’s big bucks:

• NoFear49er says:

Why should Ditka go quietly anywhere? He was a great player and great coach. He’s got as much standing to voice an opinion on Goodell and Obama as anyone else. Besides what’s Obama done but make himself and his cronies rich, set race relations back fifty years, trample the Constitution, and steer the Republic sharply toward socialism? Why should he get knocked for it?

Do you see Obama making any effort to keep the Chinese communists from out of your water or stealing your resources? Good luck to y’all if they make a decisive move on it while Zero is still in office.

Stamp your little feet, but no one in history goes down as the worst potus other than Bush II.

• NoFear49er says:

That’s probably how it looks to you with head stuck so far up your ass. Backwards.

Lots of them worse than W by any sane measure. That sanity requirement puts further comment out of your reach.

• Yeah I agree NF but thought the article was a good one to start some comments. They would eat the PI in 2 days if they wanted to. Ditka I like just posted it not agreeing.

• NoFear49er says:

Got it Phil. China’s continued show of force in those waters without much in the way of resistance from the USA is a shame and shows us to be the paper tiger they’d like to think we are. We were gonna stop Iran from getting nukes, too.

Right. Let’s start saber rattling with China.

Great idea. Let’s start another cold war. Fun for all.

I mean shit Can’t slow down the weapons building program.

Him and his cronies rich? That’s Bush’s policy for 8 years. And he didn’t try to hide that facrt. Shipping jobs overseas. Tax cuts foir the rich. The only pres to cut taxes during wartime.

Besides, it doesn’t matter where my head is. Bush was a failure in most aspect of his presidency. His dick is in your mouth. Right wqhere you like it.

57. Here’s one fer NJ or anyone with an opinion. Are these 2 realistic prospects for us?

2 things that don’t fit for me there Phil.
      Both guys have short arms.
      I like Pryor but, he’s more of a FS.

Have to see how they run.
      I’m curious to see whether Deone Bucannon will be in the mix.
      6’1″ 211, little longer arms there too.

Also want to see what Mo Alexander has to offer.
      He’s a big SS from a small school, Utah State.
      6’1″ 220
      Arms are a little longer then the other 2.
      I’ve read that Baalke favors a bigger wingspan.

As always, anything is possible.

• We traded up last year to draft our FS. Now way in goddamn hell could/or should Baalke do that two years in a row. If he does, just more ammo for yours truly to as to why he should be fired along with the rest of our FO bums.

I think the Safety position can wait this year Del.
        I’d be looking for the BPA at 30.
        More than likely a WR if the right guy is sitting there.

Odell Beckham would be a nice option.

Still wouldn’t pass on DT Aaron Donald either.
        He’s a busy kid.
        Penetrator with some speed and power.
        He’s just under-sized but, he’d be an improvement over DDobbs.

What’s the lesson we learn from the Browns? You don’t deal with morons on any level, it always comes back to bite you. I read that former Browns’ GM, Micheal Lombardi (who I also think is an idiot even before all of this) is good friends with Harbaugh, so much so that Lombardi’s son is on Harbaugh’s staff as a ( I think ) personal assistant. So it’s probably true that Lombardi sent feelers out to Harbaugh knowing Harbaugh was in a tough negotiation, but that doesn’t mean Harbaugh or Jed ever seriously entertained anything to a point where even compensation was discussed. What makes me laugh is that Haslam says, “There was an opportunity there, and it didn’t materialize.” What a joke. That’s like talking to a girl who’s in a tough breakup and trying to get some but striking out (not that I’ve ever done this). That guy’s the biggest idiot in the NFL. Look at the way his team’s run. Look at his decisions since he’s taken over. A true moron. If there were true talks and his name was being drug through the mud (which it is and should be) he’d offer more specifics, more details. Instead we get this very diplomatic statement that really, still could mean anything. And someone answer me this, just out of curiosity: If Micheal Lombardi was so close to landing a whale, why fire him immediately after the whale gets away? Could it be because you’re full of shit?

So Del, just out of curiosity, who do you think we should hire after we fire Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke?

• That’s an easy one. You as GM, and yours truly as HC.
      Beat us if you can!

• Spitblood says:

I don’t know if I’d hire you. I don’t care if you drink during the game, but are you going to throw the ball? ‘Cause if you run ball I’ll start drinking again. That’s why I can’t hire a running HC. The world’s a better place with me sober.

Actually, you can run the ball a little after I draft Freeman, Hill and Copeland, but I’m looking for a 60/40 kinda deal. Oh, and when I cut Frank Gore I’m tellin’ the fans it was your idea.

For what it’s worth – Here’s some highlights of Dri in action –

He’s got another gear that most Defenses can’t catch.
      It’s all about finding a niche within the Offense.

I thought LMJ would have brought that for us but……?

• Spitblood says:

Why draft a second LaMicheal James? So we can have two guys on the bench we don’t know how to use, or don’t fit our scheme? Draft guys who fit the scheme. And don’t worry about speed unless you’re looking for a receiver in the later rounds to run decoy routes and take the top off the defense.

And don’t give me anymore smaller skill position players. Haven’t you learned anything from Kyle Williams, LaMicheal James and AJ Jenkins? And you guys want more? Sorry, but you’re pissing me off. I’ll compose myself.

• NoFear49er says:

I have to agree with spitblood. I like the thunder and lightning approach but we need to get a Gore replacement that fits what we already do first. Getting another LMJ means we are banking on Lattimore, which may well be a good bet, but we don’t know yet.

I think I’d wait on the RB altogether unless we pick up a UDFA or a late late rounder to look at in camp.

Spit if you land Dri, he competes in Camp and outshines LMJ, you move LMJ.
        That’s all I’m suggesting.
        Our KR game is non existent right now.
        We have to deal with Tavon, Pussy Harvin and Tyrann Matheau in our Divison.
        We’ve got plenty of Picks to get weapons with.
        Tavon was a high 1st RD Pick.

If you can get a similar talent, at a reduced cost, what’s the harm?
        Football is all about speed and providing options to out-gun your opponent.
        LMJ hasn’t given us squat.
        Nothing to lose IMO.

NoFear49er Lattimore is likely the guy they’ve identified for that role.
        I’m not averse to going with another RB either.
        I’m simple suggesting that LMJ isn’t giving us anything in the Offense and, next to nothing in the KR game.

I’m proposing a shot at his replacement, not another pint sized RB.
        One for the other.
        Sankey, Seastrunk or, another insurance RB is always a good idea.
        If they aren’t convinced that Lattimore can handle the task.

I’m seeking a game changer in the field position battle, along with a bonafide field stretcher ala T.Y. Hilton.

You’ve got a top three pick in the draft and your team needs a pass rush and a QB, who do you draft, QB or DE (43 or 34 pass rusher)?

• rtfirefly says:

DE this year. 2 years ago, QB. Last year I don’t remember.

If you’re sold on the QB NoFear49er, it’s the QB for me.
      If you’re speaking the Rams here, Bradford is making way too much money IMO.
      Go after the guy you think could reduce the Cap hit and provide improvement.

If’ they’re sold on Bradford and, Clowney is there for them, the DE makes sense to me.

• NoFear49er says:

Purely hypothetical NJ49er & RT. My thinking is a QB is more of a gamble, maybe less dependign on what type of system he’s schooled in, and a dominant pass rusher can change a team’s fortunes for a long time despite troubles at QB. Got stuck wondering which is a better/(safer for the GM)/(better for the team) path to wander down.

• Spitblood says:

I think your question, NF, requires more context. If you have nothing, draft a DE and build your defense first. If you have some nice pieces in place, and you really like the composure of the qb with some good intangibles, draft a QB. For me it depends on the team you’ve got in place.

• rtfirefly says:

I don’t draft a QB that high unless I’m absolutely, positively convinced he’s going to be my guy for a long time. A DE only in the case of someone like Clowney. Otherwise, except for somebody spectacular, I’d trade down. Just ceteris parabis.

NJ – For the love of Jesus and everything holy. Are you F’n with me right now? It’s not about competition for guys like AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams and La Micheal James. They don’t fit our scheme. They’ll go on and have success else where. Either they don’t fit our scheme or Harbaugh can’t develop them, but either way you don’t draft another one hoping they’ll beat out LaMicheal James. That seems insane to me. You don’t keep slamming a square peg into a round hole, hoping it’ll fit. That’s the definition of insanity. And you don’t look for speed guys either unless it’s a take the top of the D wide receiver. You look to replace Gore, and Gore couldn’t run a 6.0 flat 40 yard dash. You look for a physical back like Freeman. Damn it, I’m still not composed.

Spit I’m not taking away your option at the RB position.
      Frank is going away soon.
      Is Lattimore the heir apparent?
      My guess is, Baalke had that idea in mind when he Drafted him, at a reduced price last year.

Dri is my suggestion for improving the Slot and KR game.
      We’re going to get at least 2 WRs from this group IMO.
      Someone to learn the ropes as a 1 and/or the 2.

It’s Dri for LMJ.
      We have seen nothing from LMJ.
      Therefore, we have nothing to lose.

Bad Pick? I’m beginning to think so.
      Did Harbaugh want LMJ? Because he was such a pain in the rump to contend with while he Coached at Stanford? Who knows?
      Maybe Baalke was coerced into selecting him for Harbaugh, I don’t know.

Let’s think about improving the KR game and, perhaps adding a weapon that could find some ways to contribute to the Offense, which LMJ hasn’t figured out yet.

All I can do, as a Jr GM is, crunch numbers and compare video clips.
        I see a kid that pops off the charts and, I would hope he has something to offer us, in terms of production.

We’re always trying to improve.
        Offense/Defense/STs.

T.Y. Hilton smoked Seattle’s Secondary for one simple reason.
        They couldn’t keep up with him.
        If there’s other WR options, offering 4.3 speed, I’m going to lobby for their services as well.

5’8″ isn’t ideal, in terms of an every down player.
        Having him for some special areas, is something I think they could afford.

• Spitblood says:

You can see, just from watching LMJ, that he has talent. He’s good. You don’t remember his run for a touchdown in the Super Bowl? He might not be the best PR guy (because of his size), but LMJ has talent. I think he got black balled because of his size and his fumble in the Super Bowl, but if you draft smaller guys who can’t hold onto the football as well as bigger guys, trust me, fumbling will be a problem with any smaller dude. It’s not James. It’s the scheme and Roman leaning too much on Frank Gore with his tired legs. Why do you think Vance McDonald lined up in the slot so much? It’s because he blocked from it a lot. That’s the scheme. The 49ers don’t use the slot that much to run pass routes out of with first or even second read guys. If they did, they’d use other guys in the slot and not Vance. So drafting for the slot, or drafting smaller guys (again) is really a waste. And Quinton Patton can play the slot just fine if the 49ers decide to utilize the slot more.

Sure Spit, it’s always about scheme in any Offense.
        We’ve debated the Roman/Harbaugh philosophy endlessly.
        It’s also possible that good players can be under-utilized certainly.

6 of one, half-dozen of the other.
        I’m simply advocating for play-makers.

If they don’t see potential from someone like Dri, so be it.
        I’d simply state that the kid offers upside from my vantage point.

You liked Ace Sanders last year.
        Another kid I lobbied for prior to the Combine.
        Same scenario, a specialized feature weapon, that might change the complexion of a game.

LSU WR Odell Beckham offers some good numbers as well.
    He’s done some PR/KR duty too, from what I’ve been able to locate.
    I’d take him as well, since he’s a more polished WR from a Pro-style Offense.

Let’s not confuse Dri Archer with Wes Welker just yet.
    I’m seeing him as game changer, not an every down feature.

Spit –
    Would you have considered TB RB Doug Martin from Boise St when he was coming out?
    I loved him too, all 5’9″ 223lbs of him. The Muscle Hamster.
    Compare –
    Frank Gore
    5’9″ 217
    Marshawn Lynch
    5’11” 215
    Marcus Lattimore
    5’11” 221

It’s not always about the size of the dog in the fight.
    It’s more often about the size of the fight in the dog.

GMs have to evaluate the College stats with the kid they have interest in.
    How he fits, what’s in his head.
    Always a crap shoot. A measure of desire to succeed.
    Never is it about a sure thing, between College and the NFL.

Lattimore possesses a very similar bio to Lynch, coming from a horrific knee injury, just like Frank.
    No guarantees that Marcus will succeed as Frank did.

Nice try. Dri Archer is not Doug Martin. And neither is Marcus Lattimore a Doug Martin. I don’t know where everyone comes off thinking Lattimore is a power back.

Hell yes, I’d want Doug Martin. But not in the first round. You know what I was saying about Doug Martin when he came out? I was saying the Browns were foolish to trade up for Richardson (I think it was Holmgren’s idea) when Doug Martin would have been available to them at their original pick. I was right. The trick to finding a running back is finding one in rounds 2-5. That’s where you get your stud, big, strong, running backs. And if you start worrying about speed, no offense, but you’re not paying attention. Frank Gore might not even be able to run a 6 second 40.

• rtfirefly says:

I’m not running Archer between the tackles. Playmaker in space – Bill Walsh.
      I want to run successful toss sweeps. I want to be able to go 3 or 4 wide when I want. Now it’s a joke. If you want to keep the status quo run only attack, why bother drafting O at all? NF’s right, the offense as is has gotten the Niners deep into the offseason three years running.

• Spitblood says:

We have two play makers in space – Kendal Hunter and La Micheal James. If this is your draft philosophy, why not also draft a slower possession type receiver to go along the two we already have in Crabtree and Boldin?

• rtfirefly says:

I want a BIG possession receiver as my second receiver pick. Quick, not nearly Vance size. A poor man’s Megatron.

RT I’m high on Odell Beckham, Donte Moncrief and Jordan Matthews.
        All 3 can run well enough and make catches.

Several of the taller guys, 6’5″ area, are Brandon Cooper, Martavis Bryant and Kelvin Benjamin.
        The tall guys are obviously slower.
        Need a mixture.
        Each ingredient has to produce when needed.

Moncrief is a 6’2″ 220lb guy with 4.4 speed and a 39.5″ vert.
        Great numbers, excellent size.
        Would love to have him.

Brandon Coleman, not Brandon Cooper.
        My error.

• rtfirefly says:

I’ll read your reply tomorrow. Now it’s time to feed the dream ducks. Or Emma Watson. Hmmm…

And, we could have had Martin.
      When we passed, TB jumped up to get him.
      Point I’m trying to make is, GMs have other needs they feel are more important.
      Doesn’t mean they weren’t interested or, that Martin wasn’t worth it, they just addressed other areas.

It’s never an exact science.
      Roll of the dice.

Not comparing Dri to any of them Spit.
    It’s about heart and desire.

Frank battled knee injuries in College and he made it.
    Lattimore is a huge question mark but, he’s stayed driven to get here and, hopes to prove himself.
    Martin is productive. Smaller school product in comparison to places like LSU for example.

Lynch had off field issues in Buffalo and got dealt.

It’s about the individual.
    Are you a football player?
    Or just happy to make it?

I’m saying the same for Dri.
    Mid to later RD gamble, no pressure, no crazy cost involved.
    Again, the Draft slotting process is where the money is made or lost.

Here’s the numbers from the Combines.
    Just something to compare the measurables.
    No one is guaranteed to make it because they are selected higher.
    Just something to use for evaluation purposes.

Some guys in the RB group will easily be had in RDs 2-5 and beyond.
    It’s about addressing the the more pertinent needs, Contracts that will be moved etc.
    A monumental juggling act.

Jewel Hampton was a pretty productive RB who’s now learning the ropes behind a crowded RB stable.
    Our blindspot is the WR group.
    We’ve whiffed in the Draft at the position ever since Crabtree.
    DHB got selected ahead of him. Big deal. Where’s that gotten him?
    It got Al Davis a Cap hit and no significant ROI.
    Same with JaWalrus.

Makes the argument that we either got lucky by Drafting higher that year or, McCloughan was better at it then Baalke.

Plenty of guys were Drafted ahead of Montana and Brady too.
      If the GM sees something that fits, he’s obviously had good reason to make that assessment.
      Al Toon was Drafted ahead of Jerry too.
      On and on it goes.
      You hope to find play-makers with every Pick.
      Odds are stacked against you in that regard.

Having extra Picks, as we do, always improves your odds.
      They cut bait with AJ.
      Realized he wasn’t going to make it, moved on.

Same could occur with LMJ.

Jason La Confora just wrote that there’s a huge rift between Harbaugh and Baalke, and that the two are barely speaking – communicating mostly by email. Maybe Chuck was right when he suggested that Harbaugh wants more say when drafting. I think this all works out with Harbaugh getting paid and Baalke and Harbaugh once again getting along (if La Confora is right). But maybe Baalke and York (even Paraage) were considering trading Harbaugh without Harbaugh knowing. La Confora suggests that Harbaugh has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in the organization. If this is the case, a “behind the scenes trade,” would piss Harbaugh off, especially if he didn’t know about it. Jed York better start realizing where his bread is buttered. It’s Harbaugh who should win a power struggle because Harbaugh is the hardest to replace. He also proved at Stanford he can not only evaluate, but he can recruit. It was definitely Harbaugh who wanted Eric Reid.

I don’t know if La Confora is right, but I do believe this situation can be resolved without anyone leaving. For my money, Trent Baalke is on thin ice … if it was my team.

Hard to know what the real story is.
      Seemed to me Baalke was instrumental in getting Harbaugh away from Stanford?
      Wouldn’t surprise me if Harbaugh is the lightning rod either, it fits his personality.

Is it the roster or the Coaching?
      GMs aren’t growing on trees either.
      Stay tuned, this could get ugly.

Something upset the apple cart with McCloughan too.
      New stadium, new start, potential problems brewing.
      Go figure?

• Spitblood says:

If anyone but Jim Harbaugh is the coach of the 49ers next year, when that new stadium opens, all the momentum the 49ers have built going into Levi Stadium will be gone. Luxury box sales? Forget about those. High demand for tickets from Silicon Valley execs? Not a chance. You open Levi Stadium with Jim Tomsula as your head coach, and hello 6-10. The 49ers will play for Tomsula, but they won’t believe he has the chops to win a Super Bowl with. And even if it’s someone like Norv Turner or Bill Cower, nobody will be enthusiastic about 49er football with Harbaugh gone. The Nolan / Singletary years are all too familiar in the minds of plenty of 49er fans. Jed York is (a lot like Alex Smith) being saved by Jim Harbaugh. And then next thing you know, players like Colin Kaepernick will be looking for bigger paydays or other winning organization to play for. Kaep would get the franchise tag, but you can’t franchise everyone. You don’t get rid of Jim Harbaugh.

Tom Brady? Local kid Walsh had in for a workout? Yeah, even the genius and QB whisperer doesn’t always get it right. Especially on the comeback trail.

NJ49er, I don’t think any one guy gets everything they want without compromise. Imagine four, five, six guys in a room. GM, HC, Coordinators, Position experts, retired personnel guys, whatever.

Take turns making a pitch for every guy they consider for their draft board. GM shoots it down because they want to re-up the guy starting in his position and they won’t have money to sign another one. HC says I can work with this guy, he’s all motor, the best I’ve seen. etc., etc.

Somehow all these guys come to consensus on a draft board spot for each and every guy in the draft. Even the ones they think they have no chance to draft. Naturally they change daily and hourly as the clock winds down.

It’s amazing that anybody ever gets it right in the draft really. Although 1st rounders are pretty much slam dunks nowadays

Spitblood, re my hypothetical, if I give too much context it would lead to an answer. I expected an offense vs defense approach.

You’re right NoFear49er.
      Always a round table, Scouts, Coaches, GM etc.

Like juggling with machetes at gunpoint I’m sure.
      What’s surprising is this suggestion that Harbaugh is dividing the status quo.

Harmony isn’t the order of the day apparently?
      Even the 1st Rounders aren’t so much guaranteed anymore.
      Mistakes happen at all levels.
      It’s just that the value of the higher Picks is always magnified.

Need we be reminded of guys like JJ Stokes, Chilo Rachal, Kentwan Balmer, Mike Rumph, Rashaun Woods or Jim Druckenmiller?

Never an easy process.

No I didn’t want to reminded! Still don’t get Rachal. Big guy, just lost when big wasn’t enough.

I don’t like all the “insider” specualtion because most of it just isn’t based on anything but some writer’s attempt to stir things up. Nolan’s last couple years and Singletary’s last was like that every day.

Harbaugh wants something he’s not been offered apparently since they can’t seem to get a deal done with him. More money, more authority, who knows. I believe there is something to the old Bill Parcells notion about having to cook the meal and not being able to shop for the groceries. If that’s the issue maybe there is something to it. Hard to believe Harbaugh doesn’t have big influence when it comes to players he wants, though. If he wants it all to be up to him, I don’t think that’s the best way to go either.

I don’t think Harbaugh’s done enough here to be the one and only. It’s like Seifert. He was a great and proven defensive guy. But was he the head coach his record suggests?

• Spitblood says:

La Confora did write, “The Browns didn’t get very far,” so from a “trading Harbaugh” perspective, I doubt that’s what stirring things up. However, it couldn’t have helped, not on any level.

I don’t agree with you about one thing: Harbaugh is the one and only. Can someone, anyone, please tell me who’d they have coach the 49ers while also explaining to me your thoughts about how they’ll do in the post season. Anyone? There’s nobody out there, and if you bring in a flop, the 49ers go right back to the Mike Singletary years … and those were miserable. Just give me a name. Anyone?

People are complaining about Harbaugh not winning the Super Bowl in three attempts but nobody is offering any ideas about his replacement. The Browns and Dolphins would kill to have Harbaugh. So would about twenty five other teams. Harbaugh hits the market and everyone lines up for him. And you guys think Harbaugh is replaceable? Have you seen the recent hires this go-’round? Jim Caldwell? Mike Pettine? Whizzerhurts?

Are you guys insane? Jim Harbaugh is a top 3 head coach in the NFL. You don’t get much better than Harbaugh. You get rid of Harbaugh and this team crashed and burns like the Led Zeppelin. THE NFL IS ALL ABOUT COACHING!

Spit the dynamic here is going to be measured between McCloughan and Carroll vs Baake and Harbaugh isn’t it?

Bring in Harbaugh to counter Carroll?
        Now that dynamic came head to head for the right to advance to the SB.

Harbaugh lost.
        Possible that this brought out the knives?
        Harbaugh wants more control?
        Baalke suggests that he didn’t uphold his end of the bargain?
        Carroll bested Harbaugh when it mattered most?

It’s got plenty of motive.
        I’ve gone on more about it below.

I hear you on that opinion NoFear49er.
    Something is creating the rift within, can’t all be the media.
    Always comes down to personalities and harmony between the GM and HC in any NFL front office.

Interesting take on the ‘Philosophy’ being initiated in SF from the Bleacher Report ranks –

Here’s a theory I’ll throw out there, in conjunction with the Bleacher Report/Browns ingredients as my basis.

Could it be possible that Lombardi was rumored as the replacement to McCloughan as a means to obtaining Harbaughs’ services?

Did Baalke wrestle control of that situation by delivering Harbaugh?
    Could the Cleveland reports have been generated by Lombardi suggesting he could, once again, deliver Harbaugh for Haslam?
    In that vane, could Chud have been let go as a precursor to creating the HC vacancy?

With Lombardi not able to deliver Harbaugh, could he have written his own termination as a result?

As Bleacher Report suggests, is the Offensive philosophy driven by Baalke’s roster engineering?

I have believed in the idea, that this Offense has been driven by personnel.
    A building blocks mentality that makes sense to me.

With Harbaugh not succeeding in 3 visits to the NFCC Game, to deliver the SB Hardware, are fingers now being pointed in both directions, HC to GM, GM to HC?

It seems very plausible to me, that Harbaugh feels he’s done everything he can to prove his worth and, is likely asking for more then Jed and Paraag are willing to commit without the hardware to show for it?

Could this ultimately have resulted in media leaks, suggesting that Tomsula could handle the HC duties, as a way to let Harbaugh know he’s not indispensible?

Power struggle for control of the Roster easily explains what could likely become the defining tactic for who stays and who walks.

As Parcells is famous for his declaration regarding shopping for the groceries, it opens the divide between GM and HC, as to who is doing the proper evaluations on personnel.

‘I can’t win with your personnel’ vs ‘My personnel are solid, you’re not coaching them thoroughly enough’ as NoFear49er eluded to.

In this arena, Paraag, Jed and Baalke hold the point IMO.
      Harbaugh could be abrasive, devisive, and caustic to the harmony of the front office.

As Chip Kelly has shown in Philly, new blood can work if the GM makes the HC decisions.
      Harbaugh could easily be expecting more then he’s likely to get, in terms of control or compensation?

What the Bleacher Report is suggesting is, that the Offense is a Spread variation, waiting on additional pieces to see it to fruition.
    Complimentary pieces, sought via the Draft, awaiting completion.

Makes sense to a degree.
    We’re not a WCO.
    We’re a hybrid prototype, without it’s final production trial certified?
    Test track tested, modifications applied and removed.

Interesting dynamic.
    Let’s hope this doesn’t hit the wall in turn 4, as it did with McCloughan weeks before the Draft.

• I’d say Yes there is a power struggle between Baalkebaugh on the personnel acquired to fit “what?” O scheme. Evolution is never easy and clearly McLoughan lost one power struggle (with Baalke) over future direction of this team. It’s still not resolved with Jimi on board. This goes way back to trying to answer the question: Who are we on O since Garcia / Mariucci? Acquiring Kap, LMJ, Hunter even Manningham point to Jimi having a plan to make the O some kind of spread attack, agree. But who calls the shots on player acquisitions? Baalke sez it’s himself. Losing 3 big games in a row has brought this to the forefront.

Meanwhile “none” of this is going on with the D. None. Agree the HC Jimi (so unlike Hendrix, lol) is More important than the GM. This may be one power struggle Baalke will lose. It better Not be Jimi or we’re fucked.

So Jed cans Trent who do you nominate for our next GM? Me, I dunno.

Spit – from the Walterfootball/Combine site link I posted earlier –

Check the stats for WR John Brown from Pitt State –
    He’s a relative nobody, except that he amassed 4000+ yds and 41 TDs.
    5’10” 179 4.34 40 / 1.50 10 yd split with a 36.5″ vert.

Better yet, he’s got game as a returner –

2013 MIAA SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR: John Brown, KR/PR, Pittsburg State…Brown caught 61 passes for 1,198 yards (19.6 ypc, 99.8 ypg) and 14 touchdowns during his senior campaign. He also rushed the ball 17 times for 100 yards (5.9 ypc) and two touchdowns. In special teams play, Brown averaged 32.4 yards per kickoff return with one touchdown and he averaged 11.5 yards per punt return on the season. Brown finished his decorated three-year Pitt State career with 185 catches for 3,380 yards and 32 touchdowns – all school records. – Pittsburg State football

You want a late RD / UDFA option, here’s another possibility –

Funny to me the blog has gone from “bullshit made up story” to explaining it away in various ways.

My thoughts on why it is happening.

Baalke stays, signed through 2016. Harbaugh is wearing his welcome out by being abrasive and the FO is weighing its options as it should. Harbaugh wants top money and the FO says earn it first, Harbaugh is making waves and suggesting he may go to Texas or USC etc, so they listen to an offer for him from the Browns. That offer is made because it is known in ownership/GM circles that there is a rift between HC and FO. Harbaugh understands the FO has called his bluff and nixes the deal since he wants to stay in SF with this level of success but on his terms.

The Browns didn’t leak the story. They had just hired a new coach who was the last girl standing on the dance floor, the last thing they needed was this story. My guess is it came from Lombardi who was not chosen by the Niners to be the GM during the “league wide search”.

Jed made a denial that gives him a back door out but won’t answer questions about it and now that Haslam answered questions and confirmed there was an offer he is wriggling as is Harbaugh.

Harbaugh often uses the phrase “pay the man” in response to questions about good players facing free agency. It is not his place to say it, he should defer to Baalke, but chooses to put pressure on Baalke instead. None of those guys have been signed to date. The phrase also shows his mentality in so far as he feels if its earned you deserve it. He thinks its been earned for himself and he wants paying.

Harbaugh began his NFL head coaching career with lies and has continued it till now. He has been caught several times lying and he is lying now. Jed is simply hiding behind semantics meaning that the entire story as presented was not true, allowing him to say its not true, but also without allowing any questioning of it because he would have to reveal what exactly did happen.

Harbaugh is a good coach and the Niners should try to find a way to keep him but if it has really become toxic in the building (no longer speaking with Baalke?) something has to give and that is likely to be Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh coaches this year either way and hope that some of the ego’s that have brought things to the point that other teams feel there is an opportunity to sign the Niners head coach have learned some humility and that if there is finger pointing as to who is to blame for the lack of winning the SB it needs to stop. But with guys this powerful ego is not something that can be set aside easily.

Feel free to disagree.

• No one gives a shit what the Browns said or the Niner denials. The story wont go away until the power struggle between Jimi and Trent is resolved. Thats real and is not resolved. New contract for Jimi = evidence it is. Absent that the longer it goes w/o the worse it is for 9ers on all levels.

Dont screw this up Jed. Only one of these 2 hot shots is irreplaceable. = Hendrix

I don’t agree really Phil. The part I agree with is this story is a symptom of the apparent conflict but I think the parties involved absolutely give a shit and are each using the court of public opinion (fans) to push their agenda.

The general fan reaction to it I find hilarious. This stuff is pretty common in the sports business yet there is this sense of outrage and denial of a story that obviously had some basic truth to it.

Jed told the truth in absolute terms but lied all the same. Dumb.

RB! Why have the Niners not used LMJ except in emergencies for injuries? Ditto other backs have sat on the bench like Westbrook and Jacobs.
    My thinking is it is because blocking and blitz pickup are more important in this O than running. The tight formation schemes the Niners primarily use mean there are a ton of D at the LOS. NF said the D will never allow the O to outnumber them and he is right. However, the formations currently allow overload, so the QB absolutely must have the second TE and RB block for him on pass plays.

It has been written that LMJ, Dixon and Hampton are just not as adept at blocking/blitz pickup as Gore but who is? Gore is a monster in those areas. Hunter is good also but not in Gore’s league. So the question is should the Niners adjust the scheme to utilize the skill set’s of these other talented players or stick with the tight formation stuff? So far we have seen the answer.

Baalke said at the combine that LMJ was intended to do more in games but it didn’t work out that way and that his time will come. This leads me to believe that scheme under Roman and Harbaugh is the reason LMJ has barely played.

Baalke has taken the players he believes can play at this level and it is up to the coaches to use them. I think there is somewhat of a conflict of philosophy between the Coach and the GM.

I don’t see Baalke taking a RB before the 4th round as I don’t believe he feels that is necessary. He seem’s to think the Niners are probably set at RB this year. Sorry Spit but they ain’t taking 2 RB and a FB this year, at least not to use in those roles.

Westbrook was a Singletary deal. But I get it. The biggest difference with Gore pre- and during Harbaugh is the fact that Gore used to catch 30-40 balls a year as a checkdown with Nolan/Singletary. That option dried up under Harbaugh.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, 12th. I was going to ignore the whole thing until I heard this morning on the way to work that Harbaugh and Baalke are at apparent odds w/each other. Throw in the play calling issues with Roman/Harbaugh, and you have the makings of a power grab.

New thread is up.