Game Day #3 – Back to the Future

At least it is for Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck. The last time they were together, it was for the Jan 2011 Tostitos Bowl or something like that. Now? Indy is a little shakey from a near loss to the Raiders on opening day, and a loss to the not-so-lowly-anymore 2-0 Miami Dolphins. They got themselves in the news this week by trading next year’s 1st round pick to the Cleveland Browns for Trent Richardson, a guy they traded up in the 1st rouns to the #3 overall pick to get last year. In other words, a very cursious move as it smacks of giving up on this season for the Brownies. This after week 2. Lots of disgruntled fans by Lake Erie. The Niners got themselves into the news as well. But for much more awful reasons. Defensive standout Aldon Smith was busted trying to run over a tree at 7:00 am Friday morning. He was booked on DUI, pot possession, and possession of prescription meds of some kind. This is part of a pattern of brushes with the law, including a pleaded down DUI in Miami, being a passenger in a roll-over accident at the bewitching hour of 2:30 am, and his infamous house party where he got stabbed, and he allegedly shot at someone.

Youthful hijinks? Sure, you could say that, and there have been plenty of people who have had a few scrapes with the law only to go on and get their shit together and move on. On the other hand, life is riddled with talented individuals who can’t get out of their own way, and either hurt themselves or people around them. The 49ers meanwhile have chose the path of least resistance. Jim Harbaugh has said that Smith will suit up and play today. Curious, as when Demarcus Dobbs was busted for pot last year, the team left him at home for a road game. They suspended Brandon Jacobs for the last 4 games of the season for posting pics of himself in his Giants uni.

What’s the difference between Dobbs, Jacobs, and Smith? Well, Smith is an MVP-worthy talent. The others? Not so much. The 49ers can choose to be proactive regarding this, and leave him off the roster today. Or they can put Smith above his teammates, and start him. The point being, regardless of his status as an elite player, the front office and the coaches need to remind Aldon that playing football is a privilege. Yes, it is a privilege he has earned the right to play, but recent events tell another story. Taken separately, one of these screw-ups isn’t a major deal. But throw them together and you have a pattern of behavior that is troubling at best. Self-destructive at worst.

Yes, the 49ers desperately want to erase the taste of that Seattle beat-down. and yes, this is the NFL, where wins are a hard-fought commodity that takes a team effort to earn. But the team needs to show Aldon that there are consequences for screwing up, and he has to take a look at his actions as ones that are causing harm to himself and those close to him, andf that he isn’t bigger than the team. Otherwise, letting him start shows the rest of the team that as long as you are a great player, you don;t have to follow the rules that the rest of the guys must.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

155 Responses to Game Day #3 – Back to the Future

1. And you wonder why I’m now calling our team the Raiders?

Just Win Baby!

2. I used to pride myself upon the fact that this franchise operated, played, and both won and loss with dignity and class on and off the field. It even made me feel better than other fans because I rooted for such a classy organization. Quite snobby of me. I admit it. But that’s how I felt. I was proud as hell of everything this organization stood for and did. Now? How things have changed. But I can’t change my allegiance. But it does change how I feel.

You mean like Eddie D bribing the ex-gov of Louisiana for a liquor license? or buying off an assault charge? Please, Dennis. Don’t pretend that the so-called glory days were pristine. Take the good with the bad and move on.

4. I was holding out for a last minute change of heart, but no such luck. Aldon is active, but Vernon is not.

Jon Baldwin WR, B.J. Daniels QB, Vernon Davis TE, Chris Harper WR, LaMichael James RB, Joe Looney G, Nathan Stupar LB.

5. Hey, didn’t I see Phil post the other day? Where the hell ya been? Those coconuts must be up and running again. Good to see ya back. I hope you’re still taking down our game predictions. Allow me to be the first. I already revealed to Berger on the phone my “true” prediction — 38-24 in favor of the team that just had its ass handed to them by Seattle. But that won’t work for anti-jinxing and it makes for better blog fodder.

Colts 26
    Raiders 24

• phil fan says:

You won! …with the ant-jinx call. Damn Kap is playing worse than Smythe. Maybe GB was our Superbowl? This is a team that has fallen far, fast.What happened? It’s like Kap is trying to be someone else. Did Matthews get in their head?

6. Speaking of the Colts and Raiders…I’ll never forget that playoff game they had back in ’77. I was only 11 and watched it at my aunt’s florist shop in Richmond. She and my uncle were big Raider fans. They had season tickets. I even got to go to a few preseason games. Don’t worry, I didn’t root for the Raiders. But it was Christmas Eve Day, a pretty big flower day believe it or not, and so they had to give up their tickets and work at the shop. I used to spend a lot of time down there as a kid, my aunt treated me like King Farouk. Anywho, like I said, it was Christmas Eve Day so we must have spent Christmas Eve over at her house that year. All I really remember is watching the game in the back on a little B&W TV with Victor, who worked there and had the biggest booming and loudest voice I’ve ever heard. Victor was another Raider fan. So there I was cheering on Bert Jones and his Colts. Well, they gave up a late lead to “The Snake” and eventually lost in OT or 2OT. I was bummed. And to make matters worse, I don’t think I got any good Christmas presents that year. Bah-humbug.

7. RG Knee is now 0-3. Nice going Dr. James Andrews.

8. Whitner didn’t even hit ’em with his helmet. This league now has become so pussified, George Carlin wouldn’t even believe. Keep it up Mr. Goodell. Me and many others won’t be watching soon…

“Niners most penalized team so far this year.”
    Harbaugh’s whiny, screaming tantrums at EVERY penalty is now contributing to the team getting flagged a lot (my opinion). The refs hate him and for good reason. Harb’s needs to tone that part of his game way down

10. rob says:

refs pretty much gave em’ that touchdown imo

11. ODB says:

Lousy cunt-faced refs

I’m with Denny, my favorite Niner is Boone. I bought that Rhino trucker hat, it’s on it’s way.

The lost game plan from last week.

14. I wasn’t paying too close attention, but did we at least bench Aldon for the first snap or series? Doesn’t matter much in the big scheme of things, just wonderin’…

15. ODB says:

Hunter looks like a piece of shit this year.

16. rob says:

good defense good running !

17. OL playing with a chip on its shoulder. As well as it should. Great run blocking that entire series.

TD RAIDERS!!!

18. rob says:

hmmm pos ?

Hunter TD
    Great blocking.

Denny if you want to be Rhino hat buddies, go buy one of these:

Chuck, if you need help banning someone, let me know. I don’t think you blocked him in enough ways.

21. rob says:

DEFENSE !

22. ODB says:

Guess Smith an IV of King Cobra or Thunderbird in the sideline

23. rob says:

yessssssssss eric reid

24. rob says:

dashon who ?

25. ODB says:

Those cum-swallowing refs woulda given the roughing penalty against SF.

26. rob says:

grrrr this is starting to look like a mike nolan defense ! imo we should go with boldin and moore not Williams at WR !

27. ODB says:

We need a sack: Covoursier and pack of Salem’s for Smith

28. rob says:

12th reid is WAY ahead of goldson ! goldson took years to look as good as reid does right now ! nice pick by us imo !

29. rob says:

12th are you watching the colts players after reid is hitting em ! im excited !

He brings the wood yeah I agree.

Need a stop now from whoever. This d has not looked solid and where is Justin this year?

dammit

Not the best start on O or D. Have not seen the D win in the trenches 2 weeks in a row, a trend?

34. A. Bradshaw beats Whitner on coverage. Our DBs may be great hitters, which they are, but they can’t cover much. And THAT is a concern…

35. rob says:

400 yds passing game 1 150 yds since ! fire roman now ! if it doesn’t get better fire harbaugh

Davis needs to stay on his blocks, looks lost sometimes

38. rob says:

12TH LOL !

hey , reid is getting pics too ! I luv the kid ! imo he’s going to be REAL good ! 🙂

17 -0 Squawks over Jacksonville, make today a must win for the Niners.

40. rob says:

no jokes here tho wtf are we doing 2 passes completed in the first half ! huh ?!!!

If the Colts DB’s continue to be painted on the back of our slow, shitty wide receivers, does Harb’s decide to bring back the read option?

42. That now makes us 1/6 on 3rd dn conversions. Is it just me, but the Colts on D, look faster then we do on O. Just an observation…

Screen, slant, draw, bootleg? How about something else? Teams have figured out last years plays, time to be more creative?

44. WooooooW!!!!! Patrick Willis with the beat down. that was a Ronnie Lott hit.

45. Shit. Luck just outran T. Brown. The Colts are faster on both sides of the ball. Not good.

46. We had to burn a TO on D? Might as well bring back Martz and Singletary.

fuck! 2 plays in a row Justin gets there.

Roman better get his thinking Kap on.

Kap throwing over 20 yds? Nope. May as well be Alex Smith.

Shit playcalling 2 weeks in a row.

Seems to me we had the opposing defenses figured out much earlier BEFORE we hired Mangini to do it. These days, if the defense surprises us we stay surprised all game. They surprise us more these days, too.

Agree. The D has our # and we don’t change up in any significant way. As for Mangini input I want my money back.

No deep threat and that won’t change with Crabs or MM so what’s the plan Roman? How about a solid run game and some play action? Nope! How about keeping everything inside 20 yds? Yes!
    Dumb.

53. Jesus H. Christ. Shitty tackling on 3rd and long and PW may be injured?
    And now we used our SECOND TO on D. in the second half?
    How many days until the draft. Fuck this shit.

7 pts. thru 3 quarters vs the “vaunted” Colts defense.

54. ODB says:

Wow. What a fuck up at home. If they lose this game,

55. The Raiders deserve to lose this game, and at this point, I think it would be for the better.
    Might be the only thing to give this pathetic team a wake up call.

Our Raiders stink on ice.

Did we fire Bo Schembechler Jr. yet?

56. rob says:

we have to come up big here ! we need to step up and take this game ! anybody ?

The D-Line is suffering from sympathetic withdrawals for 99 today. Way too many inside runs and way too little pressure on the passer.

58. ODB says:

Colts are serving up ninety balls on a platter. Lightly breaded

The gods are with us after all.

Damn! We can’t even manage field goal range today. That loss in Seattle has beaten our spirit, too.
    Harbaugh better get his rah rah back and get this team pointed in the right direction before this becomes a trend.

61. 190 yds TOTAL offense with < 6mins to play.

Fire that worthless POS ex-head coach from Stanford. I want him gone.

62. Now that’s a fucking great play call. Luck on the naked boot. Fuck us.
    Our Raiders deserve to lose.

Fire Bo Schembechler Jr. now, or forever hold your piece of shit offense.

San Francisco, we have a problem……

Another three and out and we’re toast.

A big problem, this is not the same team as last year that is for sure!

Wow!! When it rains it pours!!

Ultimate fail. The lack of blocking is atrocious. This team is fucked.

So much for coming home from one embarrassing loss, now the Niners have 2 embarrassing losses!! This is sad.

69. ODB says:

Harbaugh

70. That Seattle beat down wasn’t an aberration, it was a statement of things to come.

TOTAL BLEEP!

So do the Niners have any excuse for this total melt down the last 2 games? I dont see any. Not having VDavis? They had him in Seattle. So what is it going to take to right this team?

73. And do think I picked our Raiders to win 9 games this year.
    I must have been drunk.

74. So I have to ask the question. Who’s gonna be the first wise guy to say we shoulda kept Alex?
    Raise your hand. Not I, said Frank the Cat. But I’m heading to my litter box to take a huge Kap dump.

75. We let our owner down today. He has the right idea…

76. twinfan1 says:

alex isn’t here anymore, dennis. you need to forget about him. and listen, as zack in a ‘law and order’ episode said to a morally deficient lowlife- ‘he doesn’t love you anymore’….

77. Once again, very impressed with my favorite player, Alex Boone on the CSN postgame. Very truthful, upfront and made zero excuses about our play today. He answered every question with aplomb and did so with great posture. All the while representing our franchise in a professional manner.

Good on #75.

78. So NOW the Raiders are suspending Aldon Smith for Thursday’s game vs the Rams.

That smacks of regret and total embarrassment of not doing it in the first place.
    Don’t insult my intelligence now, Raiders, let the fucking drunk play on…

Fuck you.

79. But I’m sure if we had won today, all would good and rosy at 4949.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

80. I think I asked Flav the question before. Sorry, not a question, he said he’d take Kap > Luck and I chastised him. After seeing them play before your very eyes, would you like to change you mind?

• Flavor says:

I wouldn’t ever make a decision based off one game. Luck is a stud, I know that as much as anyone who’s followed his career since before you even knew who he was.
      But I have faith in Kap, he’s got all the tools to be one of the best ever.

81. Q: Andrew Luck was runner-up for the Heisman two years running. Why?
    A: Bo Schembelcher Jr. was his coach.

BTW, have we fired that no good POS loser yet?

Who cares, Dennis? The Niners are being out coached. Their lines have done little to nothing these last 2 weeks. luck beat our defense, not Kaepernick.

83. twinfan1 says:

niners are still too good to not turn it around. but why did they go away from gore? 10 carries in first half and first possession of second half. then 1 carry the rest of the way- and they were only one score down for much of the time.

• NoFear49er says:

I’ve asked the same question, from the Seahawks game. It was in the game plan today at least and they lost faith too early.

We could have schemed some receivers open, too.

84. Tony Dungy just said that Kap, and I quote, “looks like a rookie and he’s skittish.”
    Damn. Not so hot. Rookie and skittish. I’d prefer some nookie and skittles myself.

My problem exactly. They couldn’t get a 1st down to save their lives. TOP was 28 to 2 in the 2nd half. Mainly because they went away from the run. Out coached. Harbaugh panicked. Just like Seattle.

86. Just so I can sleep with a good conscious, are we all in agreement that this team’s biggest problem is Jim Harbaugh? If not, I’d appreciate your dissenting point of view. Thanks.

I’d go 50/50 Roman/Harbaugh Del.

You can’t pass to guys that don’t separate.
      You can’t separate with everyone on D standing within 15 yds of the LOS.

We need to stretch the field, not invite everyone into the Box.

Our Defense got worn down because the Offense couldn’t give them a rest.
      We got away from the running game too early, which could have helped wear down their Defense as well.

Is that Harbaugh?
      I say more Roman but, I’m not listening to the voices in the headphones either.

87. twinfan1 says:

i’m hearing from florio on snf that gore ‘had words’ with harbaugh late in the game..

• Heard the same myself, TF. Dissension amongst the troops. Time for a new general?

“All glory is fleeting.” —George S. Patton

• philippinefan says:

It’s early to change generals. Who would replace JH? Naw they will give him a couple more years to try to right the ship. Can’t see it happening with Roman as OC. But part of this is injuries starting with Crabs, Manningham then Ian Williams . RJF, Walker and Soap being gone hurts too.

I would love to be wrong but I think the Rams win on Thursday

My 2 cents for the game today?
    Goodwin is a weak link on the OLine.
    DEs are taking our OTs wide and blowing up the middle.
    The answer is, apparently, to flush Kaep laterally.
    Once he moves, he’s losing focus down the field while cutting the field in half.

Saw Goodwin on at least 2 occassions today looking for someone to block, while Kaep was laid out behind him.
    David Baas redux.

We need help inside on the DLine also.
    They were slicing us up with a patchwork OLine of their own.
    Dorsey is not a long term solution IMO.

• NJ, Dorsey is not a long term solution. Christ. He’s not even a short term solution. He’s a 4-3 DT, and we have him playing the nose. Who’s fault is that? Much blame to spread around to the players, mind you. But the butter who’s doing the spreading is Jim Harbaugh, no?

Hard for me to condemn Harbaugh this early after the run he’s been on.
        Granted, he’s in charge.
        We’ll see what sort of mettle he can muster now that he’s facing adversity for the first time in his short tenure

Roman appears to be the guy that’s myopic.
        Where’s the passing game?
        Who creates the the Offensive philosophy?

We show ZERO creativity with our route combinations.
        We appear to run INTO coverage instead of away from it.

Guys I could do without right now?
        Goodwin, Dobbs, Dixon, Rogers.

On warning?
        TBrown, Whitner and Nnamdi, Kyle and Dorsey.

If this Offense doesn’t give the Defense a blow in StL on Thurs, the wheels are gonna fall off.

89. Grumpy Guy says:

So let’s see… we can’t seem to pass, can’t seem to commit to running, are giving up way too many yards rushing, and our DBs can’t cover my dead grandma. And Kendall Hunter thinks running the ball out of the end zone to begin drives on our own 11 is really cool. And KW is trying to set a record for the most fair catches inside his own ten.

Wow. What a turnaround in two weeks. As Casey said, “Can anyone here play this game?”

We had BETTER beat the Rams. 1-3 in September with Aldon staring down the barrel at a month off, and Frank pissed at Jimbo… not a good look.

I’m hoping the dissention is a wakeup call Grump.

Special Teams is another area of disappointment.
      We have no threat of a KR/PR game either.

Our receivers need to know hot reads too.
      Kaep is pulling the ball down and looking alot like Alex all of a sudden too.

Lots to be concerned about in the early going.
      If we don’t show some progress vs the Rams on Thurs, we’re in trouble.

90. I’m looking for some rays of sunshine in the stats here, but…

23-14 in 1st downs
    5/12 vs 3/12 in 3rd down conversions
    Tot yds. 336/254
    Penalties 1/10 vs 6/48
    Turnovers 0/2
    TOP: 36:25/23:35
    Not an official stat, but Chuck Pagano > Jim Harbaugh, and it’s not even close.
    And that poor guy has battled and overcome cancer.
    Our team has a carcinoma, and it’s name is malignant Harbaughoma.
    Time to call the surgeon and eradicate the disease.

91. No adjustments on O or on D after the rest of the league has us figured out. Indy comes in acting like seattle and wins? I hate to go all Dennis on you but straight up I’m reluctantly going to call for a Rams win Thursday 21-13.

I’d rather be wrong but seems we don’t have the coaching brains to change our schemes.Bo don’t change!

Hey Phil –
      I’m with you.
      Can’t possibly consider us to be favored after the back-to-back flops we’ve produced on Offense.

I’m beginning to wonder if Mangina brought a case of chlamydia into the OCs Box?
      His expertise at improving this Offense has turned into the Itchy and Scratchy Show.

They appear to be suffering some sort of ailment up there which is not fostering an Offensively creative atmosphere.

Our Offense’s output has been, completely OFFENSIVE.

The only upside to a short week is, the long week that follows.

NJ49er, Aubrayo making a statement? LOL. RJF was crap.

NoFear49er our DLine was bitchslapped by a patchwork Indy OLine today.
      Much can be attributed to their familiarity with Harbaugh from Stanford I’m sure.

It’s time for us to fish or cut bait with our personnel there.
      Not sold on Dorsey.
      Thought Dobbs was overmatched too.
      Hope for TJ-E perhaps?
      Ray looked less than 100% too.

I think we’d both agree about RJF.
      No surprise he wasn’t retained, knowing what we knew of his abilities.
      Human Blocking Sled.

Never bought the hype of us running over them prior to the matchup either.
        I was just hoping to establish the running game and to get after Luck.
        We succeeded with Frank and Kendall and put it away.
        Why?

Isn’t there a belief in wearing down an opponent with a running game on our Staff?
        Thought we’d fare much better vs a depleted Indy squad on Defense too.
        They had answers, we looked lost.

What’s your take on Goodwin? I don’t benefit of rewind so I’m basing my observations on real time recollection.
        I was unimpressed with his ability to pick up the schemes Indy brought, especially in Pass Pro.
        Time for a fresh face at Center?

Indy moved RG Mike McGlynn to Center and he looked like a bulldozer.
        Gave Luck room to step up all afternoon as well.
        Us?
        Pathetic.
        Pressure in Kaeps’ face all day. Running laterally, losing focus, playing like a rookie.

We have issues. SB hangover?
        Time to call out Roman and Mangini?

Harbaugh losing control?

• 3 runs in the 2nd half. Even Harbaugh was surprised at that low number.

In conclusion: BLEEP!

Goodwin certainly seems like a big issue. The pressure mainly comes from up the middle, forcing Kappy to move laterally. Which breaks down the plays before they get anywhere.

But again, this team was absolutely dominated in the trenches. Beyond the lousy schemes, they are getting beat at the point of attack.

Suddenly, my 10-6 is looking optimistic…

No shit. 12-4 is a pipe dream at this point.

New thread is up.