Testy in Seattle

Game 2 of the pretty rough 5 game start to this season is coming to you (like a lot of Niner games this year) in prime time, Sunday Night. I guess this means I need to tape Breaking Bad. Anyhow, Seattle escaped from the steaming cauldron that is Carolina in September with a fugly win punctuated by the Panthers beating the Seahawks all over the field. Marshawn Lynch had an uncharacteristically quiet day. Gaining only 43 yards. The Seattle run game was shut down. Russell Wilson passed for 320, but only scored once as he fumbled on the Carolina 18 right before the close of the 1st half to kill their drive and close the half down 7-3. The killer turnover however goes to DeAngelo Williams, who had a sweet 16 yard run down to the Seahawk 8 yard line ruined by a fumble. This was with 5+ minutes left, and would have put Carolina up 14-12, and could have provided the margin of victory.

Anyhow, Seattle looked like a team tired from travel, and playing in a hostile, hot, sweaty, and humid environment. Much like the last time these two teams met. The 49ers were coming off a hugely emotional win near Rhode Island on a Monday night, one where the Niners squandered a 31-10 lead, only to regain the lead in the closing minutes for a 41-34 win. Lost in the amazing come-from-ahead victory was the fact that the defense was on the field for 65 plays in the 2nd half! The Niners offense stalled out for nearly all the 2nd half as NE closed the gap. Justin Smith also suffered a torn triceps early in the 2nd half to slow down the defense even more. So, they travel to Seattle on a short week, battered bruised, and spent. And proceed to get slaughtered like the proverbial lamb to the uh, slaughter.

I think we can throw the results from both these games out. One can easily imagine that the Seahawks overlooked Carolina in their zeal to avenge whatever Pete the cheat is spewing in his locker room to his players. Lots of bulletin board fodder during the offseason for this game as well. Pete’s team getting busted for PED use, St. Jimmy’s reaction to that. Seattle’s reaction to THAT. Talk of strangling, cheating, drinking, fighting and the usual banter. Fortunately, the game is nigh, and the talk seems to be down to barely a whisper as I’m sure both coaches put a gag order on players talking to the media. Well, the only talk recently is the bet between Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick regarding their eyebrows. As in, the loser shaves one of their eyebrows off. Weird? Sure. Kappy did say this regarding the wipeout last year: “We’re going up there to prove that’s not who we are.” So, which is it? Seattle’s run offense is suddenly kaput? The Niners run offense? Neither did much of anything their 1st games. the Niner defense didn’t give very much pressure to Aaron Rodgers, and he isn’t reminding anyone of Michael Vick. Although he does move well (pretty fly for a white guy). Wilson? He threw the ball all over the place but didn’t score near enough. Kappy merely had the best game of his life. 400+, 3 TDs, 0 picks. Things not seen since, *ahem* Joe Montana roamed the loam of the Stick.

Hard to make anything of these teams as they are so close to the preseason, and both looked inept in certain phases. You have to think, though, that both coaches have this game as a marker. Both these teams are seen as bona fide Super Bowl contenders. Both want to make the early statement. Both want to win the NFC West. The good news for the 49ers is that the early game is in Seattle, the December 8th game is in SF. My thought is these guys merely cancel each other out. Seattle wins a squeaker 21-20, and we return the favor by beating the shit out of them at home. I rarely pick agaisnt the Niners, but this time around, I think the fact that the 49ers didn’t play their starters much in the preseason comes back to haunt them with false starts, delay-of-game penalties, and a costly turnover.

77 Responses to Testy in Seattle

To touch on Grump’s call of the Seattle DBs getting a little grabby, I’m sure St. Jimmy will alert the refs to that very fact.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, I’m sure Harbaugh will be doing the rabid dog dance while making the international sign for holding. Whether the zebras pay any attention and choose to stop it, that’s the real question.

Feels like a Niner win to me Chuck. Grump has the Niners by more than 1 score and that would not surprise me either.
    Pride cometh before a fall and all that.

Once we beat the noise then we beat the Seaweeds.

well, I think we win outright and I’m hammering the $ line…….

Hope yer right. I ain’t feeling this weekend.

I’m LQTM that KC is favored over Dallas this weekend.

Oh shit! Alex beats Romo? Dennis may not survive.

Tweeted by Frank Gore:

“We’re gonna do our best to keep our quarterback’s eyebrows on.”

Where is Dennis? He of the “Packers will win” prognostication!

No doubt some sort of baffling voodoo science that ensured the Niners a win over the Packers, that is way beyond me to discern.

I can only guess at the margin of loss the maestro will have for the Niners this week.

What say you Dennis?

I’m rooting for the Chiefs. Go Alex!

I think Dennis is crafting excuses for his boy Tony as we speak.

I think it’s a 3rd or 4th pick, right?

Baalke worked 2 two’s if KC are 8-8 or better. The man is a bandit.

What happened to Phil? His weekly round up of us experts predictions was great.

Me? Nope. I’ll send him an email. Maybe the coconut tree fell over and he lost his internet connection.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Where the Hell is Mad Mike for that matter? The Psychotic Venoms don’t sell like they used to, without him, and popcorn sales are down too.

Seriously, he can be annoying as Hell, but I hope he is okay, whatever he thinks of me.

He did pop his head in here about a month ago, he is absolutely annoying but it’s all good anyway. Miss the good ole days myself.
        I should rattle Red Dog’s cage (AKA Bulldog, Bullshit, NSA, Dirt diver etc) OK I made up the NSA handle but it fits perfectly, a guy who records every written word for years on end is creepy as fuck, just like the NSA.

I found Phil, he is on Grant Cohn blog at the democrat doing the same weekly guestimate game he did here last season. On to bigger and better things or we bored the piss out of him or both.

• Yeah I’m doing that over on Grant’s. Thought I’d check in here to see how the wild animals are doing. Lol. Got us another season to moan about but so far we’re lookin’ pretty good. Gash the ‘hawks, it’s all good.

Check out Clay Mathews major league flopping here. I saw this last night on a game recap on the NFL network

Too goddamned funny.

Clay-flop

Funny thing is, VD DOES grab his foot for a moment. But Clay goes for his Norma Rae moment.

Still waiting for the NFL to fine clay’s ass for the late hit AND the punches thrown.

chirp chirp chirp.

I guess it helps to be a narcissistic little bitch.

Lucky for Mathews he didn’t clothesline Tom Brady around the neck 6′ out of bounds or his season would be over.

Remember, I worked in Portland a couple times and I got the pleasure once (BURP) of going to the Kingdome. You could hear a pin drop except for all the overhead speakers blaring music.
    Seattle has specifically built this stadium for noise. Decibels approaching jet engines.
    Long snap counts and audibles are nearly impossible.
    You have to go with hand signals, and have codes you can change at halftime.

20. rtfirefly2 says:

Quick counts, score first and slow that crowd down. The Bill Walsh approach, but in Seattle it’s crucial now with that stadium.
    Kap to the outside and Gore up the middle. A lot.

Dennis’ chin must be on the sawdust floor about now somewhere.

Reruns already, Nip? You said that last week.

Wow. 12th, here’s the line: Seattle gets 3 points. Which is the home team bump. 44.5 being the O/U.

Shit, if I was a betting man I’d bet the Niners to cover and go under. These are 2 pretty strong defenses.

What I expected Chuck. I figure it’s a toss up game and by no means a gimme for the Squawks.

If I was a betting man I would take the Niners and the over. A score or 2 on defense would not surprise me.

Mathews $15k fine.

The punches shoulda earned him a suspension. Like someone somewhere said, if that was Brady or Manning who was clotheslined by, say Aldon Smith, he’d be facing a 2 game suspension and a $50,000 fine, if not more.

I said something like it about Brady on the last thread and it’s true. His roid rage coupled with a premeditated intent to tackle Kap hard when not throwing, in his own words, during the run up to the game should have created a suspension of a game or 2.

Sour grapes? Not really, Mathews said he would do it and he did, illegally out of bounds and threw punches at Staley in his rage. 15k was not justice.

Yeah, at the time, I was livid, for the reasons I gave when it happened. The late hit should have been an automatic 1st down. The rest should have offset. Well, Mathews should have been given 2 penalties and ejected. The fines/suspensions should have been later.

The original hit wasn’t a dead ball foul. Otherwise, EVERY QB going OB is an open target. If the late hitter causes a fight, then the penalties will offset, and you aren’t protecting anyone in that scenario. You are encouraging retaliation.

I’ll go with 27-24 Seattle. I’d like to go with Niners, but for my 10-6 prediction, I gotta go with an SF loss in this one. To win a roady in that building, everything has to go right…

28. So I heard that Seattle police will be wearing 49er garb so they’ll be ready to nab any potentially unruly Seahawk fans Sunday night. People in Seattle pretending to be people who they aren’t. Just like this gal I read about yesterday…

A Seattle judge sentenced Alicia Cruz to four years in prison for violating court-ordered drug treatment after being convicted of stealing the identities of more than 300 people. Cruz told the judge she would go straight, saying, “I’m a different person now.”

You can’t script that shit.

29. Chuck, I started Kenbrell Thompkins last night in our fantasy matchup. Not so hot. Would’ve been a bit better but they reversed his TD catch. Figures. I did have the NE D/ST. They saved me. I should know better than to start guys on Thursday night games. Not enough time to practice. They’re always ugly, slow and mistake-filled games. Just like your Army.

Where the hell are the Niner faithful here?? Niners 34 – Seahawks 17. book it!!

These are the games that qualify a team as elite. Niners are elite. Squawks are still the lesser team.

32. So both Chuck and Snarkk picked the Niners to lose. Does that mean I have to go double reverse psychology/no jinx and pick the Niners to win this week to balance things out? I’m confused. I better drink on it.

33. twinfan1 says:

who is ‘mad mike’. if you’re thinking of me, i’m ‘michael’, certainly the sanest man at this pop joint. fyi, i won’t be posting here at nra west. 11-5 niners, win tie breaker with seattle to take west. kc goes 9-7, misses playoffs.
    enjoy the season.

34. Fun Seattle Fact: On November 13, 1851 Seattle was settled by the Denny Party, who had made their way from Portland, Oregon to what is now Alki Point in West Seattle.

Denny. Alki. Party. Looks like I’m moving back “Home.”

Nice to see there are those who know the Niners are going to win this Sunday!! Go Niners

WOOF 2!

Niners 20-13. And, u can bet I’m gonna be all over the seattle blogs, oh yeah.

I’m leaning close to that area too Winder.
      21-17 Niners.

My concerns are that Nnamdi and Eric don’t get torched over the top.
      Otherwise it could get ugly.
      Can’t bank on a pass rush, with Russell being as elusive as he is.

Hoping for the lower scoring Defensive battle myself.

38. Ninerdog says:

31-20 49ers…Gore runs the crowd down then Kaepernick hits a couple long passes Boldin? McDonald? Vernon? or maybe even Patton…you pickem’.
    That Niner defense is not gonna be fucked with.

39. Chuck’s blog is a great 49er blog for in-game commentary. Check back in tomorrow night to follow along as our #49ers kick some Puget Sound.

40. Shit. Those comments shoulda been collated into a tweet that subsequently would have been posted on Twitter to my 885 followers. Of which, the last 65 or so, are ALL Niner fans.

Fuck. See what I get for trying.

41. OK. Now I sent a tweet. And goddammit. I’m gonna send another. That’s just the kind of guy I am. (fucking Seattle Puget Sound gay-ass smiley face here).

PFT is reporting that, as luck would have it, we lost in Seattle on Harbaughs’ birthday last year.
    We now face them again in their building on Pete the Cheats’ birthday.

What a co-winky-dink.

43. You guys wanna hear a funny, but true story? That’s a silly question. Coming from me, you’d be asinine, (Jeff Kemp), asiten, (Steve Mike-Mayer) and asielven, (Alex Fucking Smith) not to wanna hear it. So buckle up and get ready…

I was just on my way out the door to take my daily afternoon walk and go feed my mallards down at the Pinole Creek when my doorbell rang. Who could it be? It was my next-door neighbor’s grandson, Jonathan. I’ve known this child all my life. I was there the day Jonathan was born. I’ve changed that boy’s diapers. I’m “Uncle Dennis.” I’ve been the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Mary fucking Poppins to that boy. Anywho…Jonathan was upset. First because he heard me swearing like a sailor during the ALA/A&M game when Johnny Football was doing his thing. And then because Jonathan was upset because he had done something wrong…

I asked Jonathan what was the problem? He told me he got suspended from school for fighting. I said, what? They suspend kids from the 2nd Grade? He said Dennis, I got in big trouble for punching another boy in the stomach. I asked Jonathan, what happened? He mumbled something that was barely audible. The whole time Jonathan kept his head down and looked at my welcome mat. But I managed to make out an learn that the other kid was in the 4th Grade.

Jonathan, a 2nd Grader, was suspended for beating up a 4th Grader and punching him in the stomach. My advice? I told Jonathan next time: punch ’em in the goddamn throat!

44. ninerdog says:

Last time they played up there, they had just got back from a wild Patriot game and Justin(I pick you up and throw you down like a cow on Saturday night)Smith had just tore his bicep or tricep or whatever it was and didn’t play. This time around I think with both Aldon and Justin healthy and McDonald and new Nose tackle Ian Williams on a tear, it will mean curtains for the Seafucks.
    The run defense and the outside pass rush will get the job done.
    Wilson is not as good as Rogers…I Doublechecked! As long as Reid doesn’t get out of position, they will be fine. Of course this is only my opinion and I am as full of shit as everybody else…except for Dennis of course but I think the defense will lead the bloodletting that will be this footballl game tomorrow.

Crazy shit, NJ. As Dennis said, you can’t write that shit.

New thread is up . . .