Game Day! Opening Day! Lucky 13 Starts Now

The quest for 6 starts today in the final opening day at the venerable crumbledone, AKA Candlestick Park. Funny, I remember the opening season at the Stick back in 1971. It was an astroturf monstrosity back then, which was akin to playing on the concrete in the parking lot. Players routinely broke legs and separated shoulders on that field, and I seem to remember Jim Lash shattering both his elbows in his short and ill-fated time with the 49ers. The Joe Thomas legacy, shitty as it is can only praised for putting the natural grass back into the Stick. To supposedly ease the stress on a fading OJ Simpsons knees. Simpson did little as a Niner, but at least he got the carpet out . . .

Anyhow, will the 2013 season be the lucky one for these Niners? Lots of people think so, but the word out of Vegas is that the Broncos are the odds-on favorites to win it all. At least that’s what the numbers were a couple days ago. Crazy. I think if the Niners had faced Denver last year instead of Balt it wouldn’t have been close. Sour grapes? Maybe, but the future is now. The Niners play 4 playoff teams in their first 5 games, and the 5th team is one they couldn’t quite figure out in the Rams. The early sledding is rough, and game one is against a team that was embarrassed badly by the Niners in the playoffs. The Packers. I hate to be overconfident, but I think we should win this one fairly handily. The Pack has geeked and overgeeked themselves silly for months over the read-option. Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy sent his entire staff to visit with Kevin Sumlin’s staff at Texas A&M to learn the read-option. I think we may use it, but not much at all. I think Roman and Harbaugh expect the Packers to overreact to the read-option, and will shadow Kappy. Either with an LB or a safety. Maybe they’ll even switch them up. The Niners can exploit this throwing behind the linebackers and getting behind the shadow over the middle. A good spot for VD and VM.

114 Responses to Game Day! Opening Day! Lucky 13 Starts Now

Time the rubber hits the road, I just hope we’ve learned how to score early and take control of the game. We shall see. Go niners

In some interesting injury news, No. 3 CB Casey Hayward is out with a bad hammy and will be replaced by rookie Micah Hyde, a fifth-round pick from Iowa. KW is slated as the slot guy but don’t be surprised if Quinton Patton gets some reps there today. In his short time on the Niners, he’s show to be able to get off the line quickly and get instant separation from defenders.

• In some interesting non-injury news, I’m enjoying the Breakfast of Champions — Vodka and Vicodin. Wheaties doesn’t have shit on me. Game prediction? 30-24 in favor of Chuck’s second-favorite team, or is it his favorite hobby? Fudge Packers!

3. Rooster says:

Should be a great opening game – I don’t see the 9ers “winning handily”, but I definitely think they have a great shot at winning a close one – something like 27-24, 34-31 – a thriller and a tossup.

4. Alleykat says:

Screw the Cheese Fudge Packerys…
    Kaep will take full advantage of the rookie CB Jekyl & Hyde starting.
    Red and Gold Roll…27-13

Niners will cream the Pack. Not even close.

Pryor is fun to watch run

7. Alleykat says:

Not impressed with Seascums D.
    No pass rush,Newton tore them to pieces on that 80 yard drive.Hey Pete,jam that down your throat your team looks gassed.

8. Dashon Goldson just laid out a Jets WR and was flagged. The “pussification” of the American male in the NFL continues. George Carlin was ahead of this as usual.

9. ODB says:

Anyone here ever go to jail over the niners?

Not yet. Carolina’s defense is taking it to Seattle. They don’t travel well, and this weather looks to wipe them out.

11. I’ve had three, count them THREE, fantasy TDs called back in this Lions game. 2 TD passes for Stafford, and a TD run for Reggie Bush. I’m the bush now, cause I’m getting fucked.

12. The future president of the United States just fumbles on 4th and goal on the inch line.
    I may have to vote democrat after that crap.

13. And if Andrew Luck and my “Survivor” pick of his Colts lose in Week 1 to T. Pryor and the Raiders, I may have to root for the Cal Bears.

14. Stafford to Reggie Bush for a 77 TD. I need an abacus to count all those fantasy pts.
    πŸ˜€

15. Alleykat says:

Damm midget Wilson threaded that TD pass.
    Atleast they fucked up the 2 pointer.

16. 49ers inactives
    QB B.J. Daniels
    RB LaMichael James
    WR Chris Harper
    WR Jon Baldwin
    G Joe Looney
    DT/FB Will Tukuafu
    LB Nate Stupar

No surprises. None that I can see at least.

17. I can still vote republican: Tom Brady, future president of the United States, Tom Brady, beat Buffalo. I woulda had a hard time telling Berger I voted for Nancy Pelosi.

18. Just about 8 mins. until kickoff. I’m pretty goddamn excited.
    All kidding aside, you know where my allegiance lies. I saw John Brodie play at the ‘Stick.
    Go #11 and I don’t mean the ghost of Alex. Patton is my boy. Go General.
    Kap to Patton. 7 come 11. Just like at the craps table. Yo!

19. TB just with an unbelievable stupid 15 yd penalty to give the J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! the win.
    TB should be totally ashamed of themselves. 18-17 loss at NY. That’s beyond pathetic, it’s beyond words. I hope your flight from NY to TB flops into the Atlantic.

Damn if that TB defensive player plays next week he must be pro bowl good, cause that had to be the stupidest thing to do against the Jets!! Epic fail moment!!

21. Jesus H. Christ. The radio feed is like 30 secs ahead of TV.
    I need another drink.

22. Sack No. 1 for Aldon. Many more coming…

23. 1st play of the yr is a false start. Fire Harbaugh now! πŸ˜›

Damn first play and a penalty??? Really!!!

25. We have to expend a T.O on the 3rd offensive play of the game?

Fire Harbaugh now! No gay-ass smiley face.
    If we want to do that, we should’ve kept Mike Martz…

26. Why teams continue to try and run on our D is a mystery to me.

27. Where was the rush on that 3rd dn? Credit their OL…

Shit happens Dennis!!

29. Alleykat says:

Kaep’s got them rolling on this drive.
    Fuckin Joe Buck.Go take you pathetic act to ATT today you fuck!!!!!7

30. Alleykat says:

Perfect Throw to VD!!
    Kappy 6-7 on drive!!
    Eat spoiled cheese.Pack!!

Kap’s passes are on the money

32. Rooster says:

And the back-and-forth begins.

33. ODB says:

WTF. Cocksucking ripoff

34. And we burn our 2nd T.O…harken back to Singletary/Martz.
    Oh joy…

35. Alleykat says:

Shit Lee,where’s that knuckle punt mook.

36. Ronnie Lott #42

My favorite Niner of all-time.

• Irish Kevin says:

Over Joe the Great?? No way, favorite all time Defensive player, yes, Joe the Great all time favorite Offensive player!!

• Kevin, what can I say? I wore his #42 jersey at Candlestick each and every time I watched him play. Have his autograph as well, but that’s not my thing. I was just 16-years-old after Ronnie and the Niners won SB XVI, and Mom and I went up to Rocklin the next summer. I waited until after practice (players were still pretty accessible then) until Lott walked by the fence and got his attention. First thing I told him was “thank you.” Next I said was, “I love to see you hit people.” Ronnie replied, “that’s my job.” Then I said, “you’re doing one helluva job” Then I shook his hand after his signed my 49er Commemorative SB Book.”

Ronnie Lott, #42. My all-time favorite 49er. It will never change.

• Irish Kevin says:

That is a great story!!

37. Whooooo! I’m loving this extra curricular shit happening OB.

They’re hittin’ people!!! That’s football. My kind of football, anyway…

Fucking awesome. Eat shit Matthews

39. Once again, Kap and Boldin get the headlines, but our OL is fucking dominating.
    DOMINATING.

Take that Clay you cheap shot punk!!!

41. OK. Per rule 49. Sec. 57. Row 5. and seat 9 of the 49er season ticket holder fan book. I’ve switched from vodka/cranberry to Bud Light. Can pin this 14-7 lead on me.

Go OL!

Alex Boone is my favorite 49er.

42. ODB says:

Having VD and nothing else, won’t work for long.

43. ODB says:

Bouldin looks slow. Downgrade from Crabtree. Go D!!!

44. Rooster says:

Packers in the giving mood today.

45. We got Boldin for a 6th rd pk?

That’s more than a little brotherly love involved there…
    We Jewed the Ravens outta that shit….

46. ODB says:

Dawson: you slimy little cunt

47. ODB says:

Just piss poor D.

Damn do any of the Niner backs know how to tackle???????

49. Alleykat says:

Fuck can any DB make a fucking tackle?

Half time some coach is going to be screaming at the backs!! I think I hear them here in Sacramento!!

51. Rooster says:

Yep – just like I said – good close game – 9ers capitalized on a couple huge turnovers in the 1st half – refs even gave them an extra 3rd down on the 2nd TD, but Pack hanging tough – looks to go down to the wire – could go either way.

52. WTF just happened? Cox sucked some serious cock trying to make that tackle.
    TD Finley. WTF is Rob? He’s a Cox apologist. Yo, Rob. That 6 inches, I mean, six points, is on you buddy.

I’m outta jokes concerning Cox. Why don’t you like (Reggie) Bush?

I think Boldin might just be worth a 6th rounder…

54. Once again, our OL just pushed the GB DL back for 5 yds.
    Then? Our rookie TE, McDonald drops a pass on 2nd 3rd? Another INC to Marlon Moore. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but RUN THE GODDAMN BALL!!!

• Irish Kevin says:

Fuck that, if I never see another run dominated offense from the Niners I will be happy!! Your boy A smith had a good game against the Jags. Go Chiefs, go Alex!!

55. ODB says:

Niners may be cunted

56. That was who? That’s right, fucking Nnamdi. He sucks. I posted his stats from his last two yrs. as a Philly. As the show stats, “Numbers Never Lie.” He’s old and slow. And he’s an ex-Raider. Trifecta!

Vernon!!!!!!

58. Our OL is fantastic. Kap and VD get credit for that pass, but in my book: OL. OL. OL.

59. Shit. Hate to say, but Matthews just clowned Kap on that play.
    He did his homework. All that talk wasn’t for not…

60. Rooster says:

Whhooooops-e-daisy.

61. rob says:

defense !!!

62. rob says:

damm we need a stop and a score here

63. Rooster says:

Harbaugh has the deer in the headlights look.

Felt like our D ran out of gas on that last drive. Lacy consistently taking flight, we stated grounded.
    And it’s fu king embarrassing to hear all those GB fans. Nice job fake Niner season ticket holders. “FAITHFUL” my ass

I could have sworn the Niners had a defense!! At this point I have not seen any D by the Niners! Where are the Niners sacks??

66. rob says:

g o r eeeeeeeeeee !!!!

67. rob says:

g o r eeeeeeeeeeee !!!

Nice one spillman!!!

69. rob says:

c’mon frank

One more First down and this game is over!

Game over!!

72. rob says:

try hunter

Jesus, Boldin, have a day baby

74. Alleykat says:

400 +yards Kap,Boldin 13 catches,balls out 4 th down call priceless!!!!!!!!

What a time to finally get to Rodgers!!! Beautiful

What a game!
    Gargle mayonnaise Clay Matthews, you fuck

• barleyfreak says:

Yeah I know the refs “blew the call”, but there was some karma. Mathews clearly follows up his talk my laying one into our most important player OB and Staley backs up his QB (as he should) just by getting in his face and saying who-the-fuck-cares. Not quite the same, and I get the rules, blah blah blah, but the ensuing TD was sweet as it gets. Matthews is a punk.

77. Rooster says:

Well, so it was 34-28 – close enough – it wasn’t “27-24 or 34-31” as I predicted but it was “a thriller and a tossup” as I predicted. Good start to the season – great game.

78. Alleykat says:

Just got free Kamakaze shot from a Packer fan,who’s actually a buddy of mine,life is good!!!
    Niners Rock!!!

79. barleyfreak says:

Great game. Clutch plays by clutch players at clutch times and we earned it. My wife now freely admits her love for Boldin and I’m feeling pretty ok with that. 13 receptions, 208 yards, one TD, and I have him starting in BOTH my fantasy leagues. Jimbo needs to send his brother an extra special thank you note for that trade. What a freaking studly game. Awesome.

80. Grumpy Guy says:

That was a bit of the good, the bad and the ugly there.

Good: Boldin, Reid looked very sharp at safety, Justin and Aldon look great, VD has better rapport with Kaep. No turnovers.

Bad: Our CBs blew way too many tackles. We left three long TD passes on the field – VD dropped one, and Kaep is not in rhythm with KW on the other two.

Ugly: Some dumb penalties. Clock management is still precarious. Nnamdi made one play at the end but looked very shaky for 59 minutes before. There was some obvious rust with some guys, not unexpected in Week One.

All in All: A “W”, that’s all you can ask for in September. On to the Shithawks and Pete the Cheat.

The Ravens weren’t doing the Niners any favors when they traded Boldin to us. He wouldn’t take a pay cut, they needed salary cap relief, they were in a fucked up situation. All the other teams in the NL knew this so Balt was never going to get anything decent for him. The only other offer they got was Minnesota who offered a 7th rounder. they took the best deal they had on the table.

Hell of a crazy-ass game. Can’t believe the refs fucked the late hit on Kappy. The call should have been 1st and goal Niners. TE play wasn’t a deal ball foul, but the fight was. It was a continuation play. The fight was after the personal foul. If they had called that 4th down, the Niners would have protested the game. Anyhow, I’m worried how the pass rush disappeared after the 1st quarter. The run game left a little to be desired.

Still and all, GB ttreated this game like a playoff game, and the Niners still won. Kappy with 400+. Bold in with 200+. Slow, ODB?

Uh, no.

Trestman (he’s gone!) wins his debut as head coach of da Bears.

Yeah, grump. The DBs weren’t tackling well. Cox had a huge whiff. Nnamdi was decent Reid was flat great. He’s looking better than Goldson already. Smart solid guy. Say what you will, and I thought this would be easier,, but GB gave it all they had, and still came up short. Matthews is a punk. I loved the shot of Matthews barking at Kappy after a sack, and Kappy just smiled at him.

• barleyfreak says:

Getting in the QB’s face and barking after a sack? I’ve seen that kind of sh*t result in taunting and by definition, it probably should have. Would have been sweet. Kap played with great poise. I mentioned on the Press Democrat blog that I thought they’d forgo the read option and try to beat them from the pocket, and that is what they did (virtual shoulder pat).

From Boldin, after the game. “I keep telling people how good of a quarterback he is. Everybody looks at how athletic he is and say he’s a running quarterback. He’s a quarterback first. Being able to run is just a bonus for him.”

That is what I’ve been preaching since day one. CK’s stardom will be based on his arm, his head, his leadership. Anything from his legs is a bonus.

For a first game of the season, very exciting. Niners will cut down on the penalties, and will tackle better as things move along. Reid looks like a player already. Not afraid to make a hit, and hey, that pick he made off the grass was very nice. Kid has talent. GB loaded up against the run, so OK, Kaep passes for 400+. Really, not much throwing to the other WRs, it was Boldin and VD that did the damage. If they eventually get Boldin, Manningham and Crabby on the field together, that would be good stuff. Is Kaep better than Alex? Uh, is filet mignon better than hamburger? Future looks bright, we can only wear shades…

Nnamdi had a pretty suspect game at least until he broke up that pass late in the 4th. That was a huge play for us.

Reid is the real deal. Nnamdi? Well, he’s the 3 for a reason. Cox was shakey as well. But all in all a great win to start the year. Seattle looked like shit, and should have lost, but woulda coulda shoulda for the Panthers. At home Seattle wi’ll play better.

Giants down by 6. Bout time for Romo to cough one up.

• Why teams like the Cowboys and all that end with the letter s, get into the “prevent defense” is beyond my comprehension. Whomever had the unmitigated gall to insert the “prevent defense” is really above and beyond my pay grade.

And I wish them, and their first born male child — dead.

Okay, the offence was darn good, but the D was suspect at best, way too many missed tackles and I agree Chuck where the hell was the pass rush?

89. Who won the game tonight? How bout that Tony Romo!?!?!?!

Go right ahead and retort with what you have. I’ll tell you this. Means nothing to some, but it means everything to me…I think Tony Romo is a nice guy. Football aside. I’d allow my daughter to go to the prom with Tony. Same as I said with Steve Young. There’s something said to being a nice guy…

90. Grumpy Guy says:

Of course Tony Romo won.

It’s September.

Not January.

91. Chico says:

Quote of the day came from Kap in the post game presser: ‘if intimidation is your game plan, you better find another one’ Love it!

Niners victory! Burp! Football fights are a joke. Pushing and shoving with helmets attached. HO HO HO! Chuck finally witnessed your pic on the FLAP. You look like a mild mannered accountant. I had this image in my head of a big blustering type with your big arms draped over another inebriated type.