Wide Receiver Report . . . (The Walking Dead)

Would you like the bad news or the bad news? Funny enough, Kyle Williams, who just recently got off the PUP list, pulled his hammy on a 40 yard pass play from Kappy yesterday, Quintin Patton has a cast on his right hand (index and middle fingers, and AJ Jenkins continued to get wide open yet drop passes.

Needless to say, it’s early. These things should work themselves out. KW says he’s fine. Don’t know what happened to Patton. And AJ? Well, he just may be a lost cause.  The bright side, I suppose, is that KW’s knee held up after he got banged around in his first full-contract drill since getting hurt last year. He may not be spectacular as a WR, but he’s got what most of these other guys don’t. Experience.

According to the reports out of camp, a lot of the pass catchers weren’t catching passes. They were dropping stuff everywhere. Including 2 by Vance McDonald. Other than that? No other injuries to report. And, there’s news out of Seattle that Percy Harvin may miss the season with hip surgery.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

37 Responses to Wide Receiver Report . . . (The Walking Dead)

Practice never read so well!

Harvin is due in NYC for a second opinion tomorrow.
    Either way, he’s never been known as a durable individual to begin with.
    Now, with all the scratch in his bank account, he may opt to become even more fragile.

Good for us.
    Our challenge will be covering the likes of Austin, Stedman Bailey and Tyrann Mathieu as well.
    Carlos Rogers isn’t going to be the guy for those assignments.
    LMJ will be our answer to those individuals and, I expect to see him carrying a heavier workload this year.
    I’d like to see Tarrell Brown extended too, with some of that coin that Carlos is sitting on, quite frankly.

Harbaugh says all the right things in that regard, suggesting that Brown deserves to be paid.
    See how it shakes out.

Im of two minds on the Brown saga. Thats a bad precident to set allowing a player to not honor his contract yet still get paid.
      A compromise might work, handing him back some cash in exchange for something more maybe.

Meant to say ‘moreso’ on the earlier reply…..

I think Ballke did right thing to enforce the letter of the Contract too.
        Tarrell took the hit, as he should. It sends the message that it was designed to convey.

Now, I’d look to see where his head is for his next Contract, once he retains a new Agent of course.
        Good timing on the Teams’ part is going to determine whether Tarrell accepts an offer to remain in SF.

Losing Carlos wouldn’t bother me as much as losing Tarrell at this point.

I’m all for a Contract Extension for him 12th.
    Yeh, he’s just as responsible for the terms on his deal as his Agent, maybe morese since he signed it, no argument there.
    I just don’t want to see us with a disgruntled CB, who produces for us, polluting the Teams’ chemistry.

As Harbaugh suggests, cooler heads can turn a potentially big headache into a positive solution, if they don’t allow it to fester.

$2Mil is no laughing matter, no matter how hard he might try to wear a positive pose.

Brown was going to be tough to resign as he is likely to ask considerably more than the Niners wanted to pay. Maybe they package this lost 2 mil into an offer that is more acceptable to Brown given that as of now he has lost that 2 mil?

I’m pretty sure Rogers has gotten the message that he’s not exactly in the driver’s seat as of now. I’d like to see him restructure at some point in the future. Otherwise his time is limited here. Brown is a curious deal. He or his agent should have picked up on the stipulation of attending the workouts.

Losing 2/3 of your salary is a pretty big deal. At least he accepts his part (sort of. he did fire his agent) in blowing it, but one would hope that the team would cut him a deal. Like, say, give him a mill. Meet him halfway. It’s not like he’s trying to pull anything over on the team. It was just a big fuck up on his part.

I don’t want Rogers back if he plays this year the same as last, he looks to be in decline or just isn’t versatile enough for Fangio’s scheme.

As for Brown its a great opportunity for the team to apply leverage against Brown yet still come out looking decent for making up the 2 mil. Baalke is a clever guy working with leverage.

What concerns me 12th is that Carlos is our slot guy.
        I’m hoping that changes with Nnamdi.
        Given the situation with the lost cash for Tarrell and, the numbers alloted to Carlos, I’d find it more than fair to see those Contracts adjusted in Tarrells’ favor.

I’m with you regarding Baalke and leverage.
        There are times when you’re the hammer, and times when you’re the nail.

Hoping the heat is turned up on Carlos in Camp and, that Tarrell feels good about the vibes coming from Harbaugh about making things right.
        Last thing I want to hear about is Tarrell with a chip on his shoulder feeling like he was robbed.
        This Team is all about chemistry.
        All blame and finger pointing aside, you don’t want to see it screwed up by a starter losing $2Mil in that fashion.

Harbaugh today mentioned something about working around the contract to get him something. I hope they show good faith to let him know they do value him. It would help down the road.

6. barleyfreak says:

Crabtree’s achilles is going to have lasting ramifications. Everyone is talking about who is going to step up for the number two. But we have to praise the lord and pray that Boldin holds up. It is only TC, and how players perform in games matters most, but playing like a putz in practice usually doesn’t mete stardom. Cohn JR’s punching bag Jenkins is struggling. Again. Since his inauspicious first season numbers (zero!) wowed no one, struggling with a wide open opp does not bode well. I was deeply skeptical before. Still am.

And thank god TC is here.

As far as who gets paid because Harbaugh says they should, ask Goldson how much that was worth.

Contracts are written, and signed, for a reason. Unless they can get new language to qualify every players’ bonus trigger with “or close enough” and “or as long as he meant to” into every contract I don’t see how they can ignore the fact that the precedent would essentially make every other contract bonus payable on demand with excuses.

Agree NoFear49er, money is gone. Not suggesting they make amends for the screw up.
      Just hoping this doesn’t preclude us from keeping a guy I see as worth the investment.
      Major screw up on Tarrell’s part, no question.

I think Harbaugh is simply going in the direction I’d be inclined to lean.
      See if we can turn a negative into a positive for the longer term.

As we’ve concluded, Tarrell signed said Contract.
        Whether the Agent was to enforce it or not, Tarrell loses the coin.

NJ49er,

I read somewhere it was his agent who told him to work out on his own, or with his own people. That makes two dummies besides all the FO guys who should be aware of all the contracts’ provisions since they are bound by them, too.

If it was as reported I’d guess Brown has a pretty solid claim against the agent’s professional liability insurance for his $2M.

If that was indeed the case, I hope he recovers the cash from the agent, and maybe reads the next thing he signs for himself. Something about it smells like a tuna canning plant.

Well if the Agent directed him improperly NoFear49er, Mr Brown has a leg to stand on legally.

Just hard to understand how Contracts with all those ZERO’s attached, can be treated so improperly.

Hoping it all works out for our Secondary.
      Hate to lose a quality caliber CB over something this ridiculous.
      Reminds me of the Contract issue in Denver.
      Dumerville? with the FAX machine?
      Give me a break.

I can honestly say with great sincerity that I could care less about another stupid football player and his agent or his contract. I’m sure something will be worked out and why this is a matter for public concern escapes me.

As anyone will tell you (but it was mainly me) the Niners FO didn’t ever want to play ball with Goldson. For a number of reasons. Brown’s situation is entirey different.

If this is a way to work out an extension, more power to ’em. It would show good faith on the Niners part, and keep Brown in the fold. Brown, for now, is saying the right things.

Percy Harvin out ‘3 to 4 months’ for hip surgery.

This will be an interesting event to follow too Chuck.

Harvin has never impressed me as a ‘Tough Guy’.
      When you watch a guy like AP defy the medical expectations and, obliterate the opposition while doing it, I can’t even begin to figure out where Harvin would rate in that comparison.

Never like seeing guys go down with injuries but, in football terms, it happens.
      One less weapon for Cheat’n Pete to use against us for awhile.

Well the ‘Hawk blogs were pretty thrilled with Crabs going down. Injuries are injuries. Steve Young always talked about the difference between playing injured and playing hurt, knowing the difference and knowing when to shut it down. Shit, was it Jack youngblood who played 3 games with a broken leg? Ronnie gave up part of his finger rather than miss playing time. Some guys want it more than others.

NoFear, say what you will, but it was the 1st top level meeting between heads of state since the “end” of the war. The 2nd one will be discussed the next time the head of Vietnam is in the White House in December.
    Proper international diplomacy is a difficult and dangerous game.
    Vietnam was owned by China for centuries and they don’t want them back.
    The Phillipinos will help us. When their government demanded that the US Navy leave, every hooker in Manila (and many are just young women who hope to be American wives) went on strike and threatened to cause a revolution by themselves. A very good friend of mine was based in Manila in the Navy during Nam (He did a lot of acid, but later got straight A’s in JC and became a Santa Clara Valley engineer).
    We have friends in the Western Pacific to control the Chinese, and we are getting more every day.
    Yeah, and the head of Vietnam invited our Prez to Vietnam to observe and investigate, and he agreed.
    What happened to the MIAs will probably never be known IMO. That war was certainly as brutal as anything in history.

You have your opinions, which I respect. I have mine.

That’s why we’re America.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

One of the biggest and most unknown oil reserves in the world is in the South China Sea.
    That’s what this is all about.
    Letting Commie China into the WTO was a HUGE mistake, and that was Bill Clinton.
    I do my homework.

RT, my opinion is you’ve got it exactly backwards.

Here’s some more homework on the subject:

Where’s Pete Bott?!

16. rtfirefly2 says:

You are missing my point entirely, NoFear. There are still MIAs from WWI in France and Belgium.
    They are dead; now it is time for peace.

• NoFear49er says:

RT, of course there are still MIAs from all wars. Not the point. The ones I’m not willing to bury and move on so easily from are the guys who were last known alive in enemy control. Do you see the difference? It’s night and day from the MIAs last seen corkscrewing into terra firma or lost over open ocean. It’s like one of your family is kidnapped and you know who has him and your response is “just bury him, move on and become friendly with the kidnapper.”

Vietnam, you want money and trade from the US, where’s Pete Bott?

17. rtfirefly2 says:

If you really want to get your dander up, defend the Spratley Islands and our close allies, the Phillipines.
    The MIAs have to be buried, honored, and we move on.

• NoFear49er says:

You’re late to that party. I’ve known for twenty years we would end up defending Vietnam from China over the oil in the Spratleys. The Philippines has a treaty, there’s no question about defending them.

I spotted an MIA last year. He was wearing #17 for the red n’ gold. On game days he could be spotted on the bench in street clothes. On the very few occasions he saw some action, he was spotted running the wrong route and/or dropping passes.

We need to either send in Capt. Williard to find and “extinguish” this MIA solider. Or, we can pray like hell he gets hit by some friendly fire and he gets buried under some red n’ gold tape. Either way, this MIA is killing our operation. Proceed with action. End transmission.

• NoFear49er says:

Who thought AJ was a first rounder? Maybe CPT Willard TWX’d in a scouting report while getting stoned.

The question remains is Dennis in a horizontal position or a vertical one?

If Dennis is vertical, it’s purely accidental.

New thread is up.

My point is, NoFear, HOW, and how do you know some of these men are still alive?

I had a gal once who I blew it with whose Dad was a CPO at Moffett. I’ve been a big fan of Filipinos ever since.

Sure wish I would’ve tried harder with her. Good people, great friends.

Back to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. That’s the route I took. I’ve taken a lot of wrong turns in my life.

21. rtfirefly2 says:

She had a pass and we could get into Moffett to go bowling. The balls were all chipped due to neglect and I bowled about 100 at the best, and I’m a much better bowler than that. Never had so much fun in my life.

Military all the way, baby.

22. ninerdog says:

One week down, and so are a lot of 49ers. I think Namdi Asomua…pardon the misspelling of the next possible nickel back, will have to evolve into a right cornerback to play. He has had his success with the Raiders, playing Tarrell Brown’s position which is defending the right side of the offense. They are not going to ask Tarrell to move to the other side so Namdi will have to adjust or go home. Don’t know if he can, sum ting to watch for tho. He has not shown he can be “adaptable”. That was part of the problem in Philly. A good player has to adapt, improvise and…kick ass, right No Fear?

It sure doesn’t look like the gaggle of WR’s are going to step up next to Mr. Boldan, so here comes Austin (“Lassie…are you trying to say Timmy’s in the well?”) Collie and Lavelle Hawkins (Marshawn Lynch’s cousin) from the Titans. I thought Jenkins would step up, but I think these signings speak a lot more than Harbaugh’s words of encouragement do.

Willis’s hand needs to heal, he sure doesn’t need to be in any more contact this preseason. Just let the vets heal up, tune’em up before the real season begins and go.
    This past week has been bloody!