Camp Opens Today!

Be still my heart. The defending NFC Champion San Francisco 49ers officially kick off the 2013 season today. Once again, they are in a position to avenge a crushing last-minute defeat to finish out their season. 2 years ago it was a heart-breaking loss to the eventual Super Bowl Champion New York Giants in the NFC CG. Last year, of course was the stalled drive on the 6 yard line to close out the Super Bowl. Certainly motivation isn’t an issue for these guys.

As teams go, the 49ers didn’t really retool the offense, but the biggest change was due to the blown out achilles of erstwhile #1 WR, Michael Crabtree. This made the Anquan Bouldin acquisition all the more important. Injuries still hamper the backup WRs Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams although they are supposedly close to resuming full practice mode, though they are both on the injured list as of now. Still, what was seen as a strong pair of wideouts with a couple solid backups has become a work in progress yet again. Crabs at best won’t see the field until early December, so one or two of the cast of rookies, castoffs, and underachievers has to step up. This includes Seattle castoff Chad Hall, Kappy Kaepernick’s offseason roommate, speedster Ricardo Lockette, doghouse dweller AJ Jenkins, 4th round pick Quintin Patton, and local guy Marlon Moore. TE will be manned by Vernon Davis and draftee Vance McDonald. VM will be tasked with coming up to speed as far as his blocking goes to really make his mark with the team. Fail there, and it’s Garrett Celek as the backup.

Defensively, it’s all about keeping the D line fresh. The Niners added Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial through the draft, and picked up Glen Dorsey. That being said, both Carradine and Dial have injuries to overcome. An ACL tear for Tank, and turf toe for Dial.  They also drafted LB help by getting Cory Lemonier in the 3rd dound. The defensive backfield is in a bit of flux as well. After getting torched late in the season, and in the playoffs, Dashon Goldson and his huge salary demands were sent packing. The Niners obviously weren’t fine with the way things ended up as they have signed Nnamdi Asomugha and Craig Dahl, drafted safety Eric Reid, and will lean on the guys they have in Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Tremaine Brock, and Donte Whitner.

The failure of getting Eric Wright did nothing more than shed light on the fact that the Niners are looking to replace Rogers, whose $8.1 mill deal is the largest on the team. Truth be told, they may just go ahead and sign Wright once he’s cut by the Bucs and the dust settles.

Other than that, Kap’t Kappy Kaepernick comes in as the starting quarterback for the first time in his young career. He’s been putting in the hard work, but he’s also reaping the rewards of instant celebrity. Jaguar deals, breakout player of the year awards, and ESPN face time, along with all the hype that comes along with all this, will focus the spotlight on him much more than at any time in his life. He seems to have a fairly level head regarding his sudden cult of personality, but greater men have crumbled under the intense scrutiny of a fickle and demanding public. That being said, the battle rages on to back up Kappy. Scott Tolzien has pushed back successive waves of contenders, but now he has Colt McCoy gunning for his spot, and now 7th round pick BJ Daniels, the QB/RB?KR guy whose versatility may land him a spot on the roster.

All in all, the season couldn’t happen any faster, as the Giants appear to be slowly sinking in the NL West. Bring it on!

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

30 Responses to Camp Opens Today!

Giants suck. It’s football or nothing.

I’m really excited to see the new guys on D. Eric Reed is someone I’m both worried about as well as excited. Balkke looks to have swung and missed on Jenkins last year but he hit an HR with Aldon the year before. Truth is, I could see this dude being anything (bust, devent, star);. Can’t wait to see how he competes in camp……..

3. Chico says:

Chuck, try posting a comment over on JDR.. I’m not sure what’s going on, MOW suggested that you check your settings or check your filter? Out of my league.. JDR said to try and post on the new thread. He might have worked on something? I dunno.. Give it another shot.

Yeah, it’s weird, Chico.

Flav, I really had hope for Jenkins, mainly because he and Kappy worked together a lot when A Smith was starting. He was making the right noise after the crap season he had, but the proof is in the pudding. The whole WR corps worries me. When Manningham and KW are back, I’ll feel bettter.

Chico, it still ain’t working.

I finally got through on Skeebs’ blog and it took weeks.
    I know you guys have to experiment with filters to keep out spam and all, but it was frustrating.
    I understand even blog hosts have to take breaks and take vacations and all.
    So do I; I understand.

I ain’t got no filters. I just block Flying V.

Someone named a horse, GOOD CATHOLIC GIRL. If they only knew. The horse got scratched from the 3rd at Saratoga today. 2/1 says I could tell ya what that filly was doing back at the barn.

What was that movie? The Kentucky Fried Movie?

Catholic School Girls in Bondage? Epically funny stuff.

Up there with Groove Tube and Tunnel Vision as incredibly subversive movies that ripped everything in society.

And why in the Sam Hill do people ASSUME we were only 6 yds away from WINNING the Super Bowl? The Niners were 6 yds away from taking a 35-34 lead. We would have went for 2. At best we’re up by 3 and kicking off to Baltimore with about 1:45 remaining. With our shit defense that day the Ravens would have been in FG range in no time. They either send that game into OT, or win it on a FG as the clock strikes 0:00

Would you have rather lost the SB that way? Jonestown would have nothing on us. Pass the Kool-Aid man, it’s mass suicide time.

Oh boo hoo Dennis. Gimme a break. Go back to rooting for Romo and the Cowboys.

How about because the defense held Balt to 6 points in the 2nd half? Gawd, why do you bother being a fan, Dennis? You are not a very good fan. You whined your way through 2 Giants word series championships, and now that the 49ers are a contender, all you do is pout. Root for the Raiders. That way you can rail for a few years as they try to emerge from their own personal hell.

Flavor – I feel the same way, I can’t wait to see some of our new guys on defense. I think we got a potential all-pro in Tank, Lemonier and Moody are supposed to be beasts on the outside. I hope that Dial can be the plugger that we need. Our defense is gonna be crazy-fast and look out if you get in the way.

Right now is Dennis in a horizontal position on the floor (sawdust) or a vertical one cooking his meal?

Just as soon as I pick my ass up from off the sawdust floor, assuming I can do that at some point today, I’m frying pork chops tonight. I’ll accompany that with rice pilaf and some sweet baby carrots. I just might have a drink or two to wash it down. Dessert? That all depends on what time I pass out tonight. But cherries jubilee are off the table. The PFD are sick and tired of sending engine #73 to my place.

Tarell Brown goofs up big time. He didn’t attend his contractually mandatory OTAs and it cost him $2 mill of his $2.95 mill deal. So, naturally he fired his agent.

“No one wants to leave money on the table. If I would have known the clauses in my contract — that’s what agents get paid to do, to orchestrate the contract and to let you know what you can and can’t do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That’s what he got paid to do. He didn’t do that, so in my opinion, you have to be let go. We all are held accountable for our actions. This is part of the business.”

Brown said he plans to sit down with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in an effort to work out a compromise of some kind.

“Hope for the best,” Brown said. “Pray for me.”

How about the agent? A prayer for him?

I’ll bet Tarell reads the next contract he signs.

Here’s one for Ripley’s Believe It or Not, NoFear.
    The first meeting between the Prez of the US and the Prez of “Commie” Vietnam.
    Obama is one helluva diplomat. Capitalism is coming back to Vietnam. So are trade agreements and a final burying of the dead.
    I know you hate the Prez, but some things he has done extremely well.
    They are planning another meeting in December, I believe, to finalize to trade agreement.
    Once an enemy, they are now friends.

They tried that with Japan. Now the Japanese autos are everywhere.

• Winder says:

I thought they opened up N Vietnam years ago.

“Japanese autos are everywhere?” I wonder why? I’ll tell ya why…it all starts with education. While Asian Americans make up approx. only 4.5 % of the U.S. population, Asian-American students make up a much higher percentage of student bodies in top universities around the country. The percentages are astounding: 24% at Stanford, 18% at Harvard, and 25% at both Columbia and Cornell.

Why is that? I’ll tell ya why, while American kids divide their time between Facebook, Twitter, their phones and going to the mall, Asian students are concentrating more on their schoolwork. The role of Asian kids is clear-cut and two-fold:

• Respect your elders and obey your parents.
        • Study hard and do well in school to secure a bright future.

American kid: “Hey, Mom! Did you wash my clothes? And bring down my dinner. But just not yet, I working on getting to the next level of World of Warcraft.”

And people wonder why the Japs are killin’ us? Who cares? How bout dem Niners!

I’m driving American made (Indiana USA) and proud of it! You liberals like Dennis who drives his red JAG around town with top down can take a hike!

You drive a car made in Indiana? I’m guessing you bought that car from a little redheaded boy from Gary, Indiana who spoke with a lisp.

All kidding aside, we all like to laugh at “Opie,” but he became one of the best directors of our generation. Joke’s on us.

RT, if you think that’s what makes a great diplomat, see the McCain / Kerry dog and pony show AKA the 1991 Senate Select Committe on POW/MIA hearings. It was a reunion of old friends with McCain and Kerry giving all the cover they could manage to paint the commie leaders as innocent victims. BHO has a long way to go to top that.

The commie leader and the guy from Vietnam meet. Only one question need be asked of Vietnam, “where’s Pete Bott?”

Until that gets cleared up we’ve got no business inviting them to a tea party with BHO.

Do some research into their treatment of the Montagnard people, even today.

BHO is probably just getting some tips on running re-education camps for the un-PC and apologizing for what America did to them.

New thread is up . . .