Gimme Three Steps

Great song about nearly getting shot in a bar fight in southern Mississippi. Up there with Charlie Daniels first hit, Uneasy Rider. Back when Charlie Daniels was a long-haired country boy . . .

Wow, the angst over signing one of the few top safeties rages on. Whatever. It’s a solid move that will bridge the gap to the next guy we draft in May. I mean really. Bethea’s better than Craig Dahl and that’s what matters to the 49ers.

Other than that, crazy FA times. The Raiders try to sign Saffold only to watch him fail hi physical. OWrd is Prince Valaint put the kibosh on the deal, thus overriding Dennis McKenzie. Who knows? Who cares? Other than that, Denver is signing big-tickets guys (Talib, D Ware, and G Tate) with the loss of Champ Bailey and presumably Black N Decker. Ahhh. I see Decker signed with the Jets. Who will throw him passes? If they are lucky, it’ll be Todd Bridgewater. Or, I hear Tim Tebow is available. Anyhow, Philly has cornered the market on pass-catching RBs by signing Darrell Sproules. Him teaming with LeSean McCoy in the Chip Kelly Experience should be non-stop fun. Foles should get about 6,000 yards through the air just dumping the ball off to those guys.

Me? I’m still waiting to hear if we will sign Tarell Brown. The longer he lingers, the more likely he re-ups with the 49ers.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

208 Responses to Gimme Three Steps

Another great album from the past . . . Trudy is a great song.

Told y’all bout the time I got wasted with Elvin Bishop, Charlie Daniels, and the Marshall Tucker band, didn’t I? In Utah of all places. Partied with ’em from 1:00 am to 7:00 am. As a 16 year old starting to feel my oats, pretty heady stuff.

Give us albums, Chuck. Turn this into an old rockers blog…….forget the Niners! Warmspit has all the answers anyway.

Wooooooooooooooo!

• Alleykat says:

That was the Skynyd song I was thinking about once at Lake Berryessa when I was playing dice at the Steele Park Bar (The game 1 four 24) and I just pulled in to camp & fish the next morning and went in for some drinks.
      Got playing dice with a bunch of redneck Neanderthal dudes and the pot kept caring over and was up to 200 bucks or so and I rolled a 24 and their missing teeth just told it all!!
      So I kept thinking I just took all there welfare and bar money for the month and I wanted to hear “Gimme 3 steps toward the door”!!!!

Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers band. some of the best music made

Wilfork asked to be released from the Pats.

Interesting. There’s a couple old NTs out there for a gander . . .

Sproles to the Eagles will be tough. McCoy and Sproles out of the backfield? Things just got interesting. And they’re improving their secondary with Saints’ safety, Malcom Jenkins who Vernon Davis beat like a rented mule in the division round a few years back. But Jenkins is still an upgrade for the Eagles.

And Ted Ginn to the Cardinals is interesting. He’s a 24/7 out pattern, and I wonder if Carson can throw the deep ball like Cam Newton. Fitz and Floyd just got better, and Housler (sp?). Housler is a good fantasy football sleeper, and Green in San Diego, for tight ends. Don’t forget the Cardinals get their first round OG back this year. I think he was an North Carolina guy, drafted early. Reminded me of Mike Iupati when Mike first came out, when Iupati was mobile. Don’t sleep on the Cardinals.

• Grumpy Guy says:

The Cardinals don’t worry me as long as they keep wheeling Carson Palmer out there. 35 this year, with 22 INTs and 41 sacks last year. Yeah, he’ll make a few big plays – but about 60% of them are for the other team at this point in his career.

Mind you, if AZ lands a good young QB, they could turn it around really quickly.

• Spitblood says:

You want to talk wheelchairs? What about our own wheelchair boy, Frank Gore? Baalke’s still paying him 6 million. Laughable.

The Cardinals almost beat us last year to the wildcard in Arian’s first year, without their first round OG to protect Carson Palmer. Palmer isn’t great, but in Arians’ system, he doesn’t have to be. If Baalke keeps fucking up, we won’t make the playoffs because Arizona is damn good. I’m more worried about Arizona than I am the Rams.

CB Walter Thurmond, of the Squawks,is visiting the Niners.
    I like that the team is looking for an experienced CB and took an experienced safety in a year when the draft has good depth at both positions. Gives the rookies time to learn the pro game.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Thurmond is only worth it if he is cheap. 34 games and ONE career INT. Not a guy I’d lay out serious money for.

• NoFear49er says:

Hey, what happened to defensive stats being misleading? Maybe he was so good he knocked his man out of his route altogether and even when he didn’t he struck such fear into the hearts of opposing QBs they didn’t dare test him. They threw to his man, once, and the stats reflect the results.

” just shittin’ ya emoticon here.” Good man to bring in for a look and a good man to pass on. Subterfuge and disinformation abounds.

80% from you of course

• Fans of SB champs are desperately tweeting him “don’t do it!”.
      Don’t think we have much cap room at this point tho.

The 49ers need Pryor, but I don’t know if Baalke is smart enough to see that.

If you’re Justin Tuck, you have three options:
    1.) Take the first offer from the Raiders on day three of free agency for 6 million per year.
    2.) Wait longer and probably take less from a team that’s not a laughing stock
    3.) Retire

Justin: You chose poorly.

If the 49ers take Hakeem Nicks, that’ll pretty much seal the deal on Baalke’s idiocy this year. I watched Nicks all last year (because my brother picked him on our fantasy football team) and Nicks was horrid last year, and I don’t think it’s a motivation or a team thing. Nicks was slow off the line and terrible in and out of breaks. There were games Nicks should have been benched by Tom Coughlin, and you know something is wrong if Nicks is lost in a contract year. There’s something wrong with Nicks and if Baalke can’t see that, it adds more fuel to my Tom Gamble arguement that Baalke doesn’t know what he’s doing with current NFL players on other teams. If Baalke picks up Nicks, it’ll be Baalke’s worst move yet.

Now Julian Edleman? That’s a different deal. Edleman would be awesome….. if we had an OC who knew how to use the slot effectively. Maybe Julian could teach Roman? That would be something to see.

Yeah, turn down $6 mill a year.Easy for you to say. Besides, Nicks isn’t in the running for SF. So, yeah give Baalke shit for things he isn’t doing,

That article doesn’t mention WR. Odd at best. Dumb at worst. Plays into getting someone like Odell. I mean Watkins is out of the question but he should be around at 18-20.

• Spitblood says:

Edelman set to visit 49ers; Nicks also on radar – Maiocco.

Chuck: I’m reminded of the Fox News anchor who said to Karl Rove on election night, “Is this just math you do to make yourself feel better?”

Just looked at nfldraftscout.com (just browsing, I’m really not spending time on this this year). Nick Fales is projected mid-5th. Dri Archer 5th-6th.
    There ya go, our 4th and 5th. Add those to my 1-3. I’m still receptive to a NT, pass rushing bookend to Aldon, and/or an OL (Iaputi replacement or A Davis competition). NT would surprise me; none of the others would.

I see Fales in the 3rd but who knows? I’d take Dri in the 5th. Baptiste in the 3rd Odell in the 1st.

2nd round? A guy like Daquan jones should be there. He’s solid against the run. 322 lb. so he can clog. Pass rushing? Ehh, He’ll learn.

• rtfirefly says:

I really see Archer going 4th lowest. People saw him run. I’d be good with trading up to get him low 4th. Fales? Meh. If Kappy gets hurt we’re screwed anyway, and Fales isn’t going to scare Kappy’s agent one whit.

Neither is Blaine, but again, it don’t really matter. Fales has as good a shot as Manziel. Johnny Football has bust written all over him.

Whatever, Spitty. Nicks ain’t coming here. The Niners don’t need another possession WR.

• Spitblood says:

In my opinion, Odell will be a possession receiver in the pros. He reminds me a lot of Crabtree, but faster. If Maiocco is reporting Nicks is on their radar, it’s because the 49ers’ front office has told him that. Maiocco is the front office’s mouthpiece. I agree, the 49ers don’t need Nicks or another possession receiver. The Niners need someone to stretch the field with speed, which Odell could do, or a slot receiver. The 49ers have proven they can use a speed receiver as a decoy, but they haven’t proven they know how to use a slot receiver. I anticipate Kyle Williams being a good slot in KC next year.

Give me a 6-3, 215 burner WR that can get off the line, with hands. There must be somebody like that out there in the draft…

At least the Niners aren’t the Raiders. Raiders suck in so many ways it’s mind-boggling! Even their Raiderettes are suing them.

I’d think about Emmanuel Sanders. Not Edelman. And especially not Nicks.

Go Routes? Outside WRs? Those are as extinct as hot reads and slant routes (and screens and outside runs, etc.).

Unless they are sold on Patton.

Actually I like Edelman and so did Tom Brady last year making him his fav target. Nicks had a down year in his contract year which is a bad sign, but I also like Sanders. For a vet minimum deal I would look at Miles Austin too. Comes down to $$$ but some of these FA are decent and will be relatively cheap.

Niners are offering 3/$10 mill for T Brown. No word from him. Then again, no one seems to be beating down his door either.

19. He’s in no rush to reup with the “hey if we only knew Niners”. What if we sign someone else and he gets double douched? Not good fer TB. We should give him a fat signing bonus.

Who’s left among CBs:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
    Antonio Cromartie
    Charles Tillman
    Walter Thurmond III.
    Brandon Browner.

If the Niners had not gone after FA replacements for their starters and had relied upon the draft to fill those slots I would have to question their real desire to make a strong run at the SB this year. That they have made moves unusually early in FA tells me they are very serious about it.

It also looks like they are trying to get Kap more targets so maybe they do intend to open things up a bit. It is Kaps 3rd year, notoriously the year QB’s get it. NF has said he thinks they may have been holding back the playbook because Kap wasn’t ready to use it in full and he may have been right to a large degree.
    Every off season, year after year, we used to hear how Alex was going to open it up this year and basically it never really happened. I hope they don’t follow that same formula with Kap. I would like to see him get a real opportunity to be more productive and hone those skills during the season rather than as a desperate do or die effort in play off games.

From SB Nation:

I think they should look at Sanders. I think NE wants Edelman back pretty badly.

Game plans don’t prevent playmakers from making plays.

If you never throw go routes to your fast guys they do. If you never throw slants and quick hitters tro your WRs they do.

How many deep passes did Ginn catch here? How many did the 49ers try? I think it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 0 and 1 respectively. The only one I remember was a 75 yard TD play that was called back by a bullshit illegal blocking call on Gore.

That article plays in to what you just said, 12th. And yeah, that used to drive me nuts as we’d hear what a ‘great rapport Smith has with Braylon Edwards on deep balls.’ Or AJJ, Or Moss. Or Antonio Bryant. Even Kappy and AJJ early last year. They worked out together, they are hitting the long routes, blah blah blah. It’s all lip service until they do it on the field.

Interesting. Emmanuel Sanders is coming for a visit Saturday to Ninerland per Matt Maiocco.

Trent must be reading this blog.

Of course he does, he uses the disparaging remarks as motivation to do better.
      Makes sense they will talk to Nicks, Sanders and Edelman. I am a bit surprised they don’t have Miles Austin on their radar. He has been hurt so maybe that’s why but I figure he has been a playmaker in his career and would be cheap now.

• Trent is cleverly using the moniker “Spitblood” to smoke out new ideas fer acquiring FAs and drafting players. Sneaky smart, who woulda thunkit?

25. Alleykat says:

I’d take Edleman if they can get the hometown discount(local kid from Redwood City, played at CSM as well I believe) had better stats then Welker and a bonus can return punts..105 catches last year from Uncle Tom..

The going rate for good RB this year is 3.5 mil per year (Sproles, Gerhart, Brown). I have to question why the Niners have not reworked Gore’s contract from 6 Mil down to 3.5 mil yet. I know Gore has done a lot for this team etc but he has also been paid well for doing it and at the end of the day it’s a business and that money could be used to improve the team elsewhere.

Gore could not get a better deal than 3.5 anywhere else so that is the standard that should apply IMO.

• philippinefan says:

Yes I agree w/ ya there12. But will he/they agree to a cut? Doubt it unless we get in cap trouble

There’s still time. I think something happens with Gore. It’s not like we’ve shortchanged him over the years. Run him into the ground? Sure, but that’s his job.

Yeah I suppose so but Baalke’s comment about it not being a necessity to rework it is a concern.

• snarkk says:

IMO management knows Gore has nearly demigod status in the locker room, so doing anything to him that looks like dissing his historical contributions to the organization would not be good for team morale…

• snarkk says:

I also think he should retire before they have to cut him in camp…

• Alleykat says:

Not gonna happen Snarkk.
        Frank is 33 yards away from 10,000 rushing yards, they won’t pull the plug and cut him right now, that would be a media nightmare.

• snarkk says:

Kat, I didn’t know he was close to 10k yards. Still, he’s on his last legs. He didn’t do much in the NFC champ game. You can argue the Niner OLine sucked in that game, but he’s not a breakout guy anymore, if he ever was. He’s got no speed. Between the tackles 3 yards and burrow in. And, that’s gonna go, too. By NFL RB standards, he’s ancient with a ton of miles. I can’t see this offense relying on him for much. Bill Walsh would cut him, I’m pretty sure of that, maybe even before last season…

28. Alleykat says:

Agree 12th they should rework it for extra cap space, just maybe think Frank is still a major clubhouse strength & Leader and they don’t want him butt hurt in his final roundup,and there still gonna be concerns over how Lattimore will perform,so they probably are not gonna rock the boat with Frank.

If Gore is a major part of this offense in 2014, the Niners are in deep crapola…

I’m sure there’s something going on in the background regarding Gore. At least I hope so. He’s proven to be a team player over and over. Maybe he’s felt he’s done enough for the team?

It’s certainly possible.

Still and all, the salary cap went up $10 mill, so maybe they do feel they can absorb that. He’s not the only overpaid guyin the NFL by any stretch of the imagination. Kappy and Crabs are later cap problems. How much later we’ll see.

Does anyone actually know what they’re bitching about? What are the details of Frank’s contract that you want to take away while backing the money truck up for unproven, in this offense at least, wide outs that may or may not make even a little bit of difference?

From what I’ve seen roster and workout bonuses and per game bonuses make up about half the money. Isn’t that the way a smart FO writes a RB contract? And for a guy like Gore, who’s proven himself the main cog in this offense, a pretty decent bargain I’d say.

What I’m bitching about is paying Frank 6 mil. I don’t see him at that value this year.

So let me get this straight. Tom Gamble is gone, and so far, this free agent period, we’ve acquired an O lineman who can’t block (Martin), a corner who can’t defend (Cook), a top ten qb who’s been dumped by his team (Gabbert), and an old safety in Bethea? And they’re interested in Sanders and Nicks?

To say Trent Baalke is missing Tom Gamble is a an understatement. Baalke sucks.

Niners signed Cook?

Nicks went to the Colts.

Can’t pay everyone Spit. Whitner was too expensive so they took a very similar guy in age and stats and one of the best five available at the position. Martin is for free and is at worst a camp body and at best a good backup. Gabbert is at least as good as McCoy and if Harbs can get his confidence back he will be great trade bait down the road, oh and he was taken for a 6th, pretty cheap.
      The long term solution at CB and SS should come from the draft.
      Not a fan of signing Cook but we wait and see I guess.

Spitty’s the one coming apart re: Gore. He wants him cut. The team doesn’t seem too concerned about it, but like I said, I’m sure they’d be amenable to him being less of a cap hit if he came to them. The truth is, Gore’s contract labels $3 mill of it as ‘miscellaneous,’ so if it’s incentive-laden, he’ll ony get $3 mill. Problem is, his cap hit is the full $6 mill. There’s no way on God’s green Earth they cut him, though.

These other guys are training camp bodies, Spitty. Martin and Cook anyway. Bethea is the only one that means anything. Is he better than Dahl? By a country mile. Gabbert? Better than Pea Shooter McCoy. As with 98% of the other teams in the league, you lose your starting QB, you are in big trouble.

Overreact much?

How about we go through a draft before grabbing the axes and pitchforks, eh?

Tarell Brown to the Raiders

Don’t like that move. Brown is much better than Cook.

• Yeah but it was clear despite biting his tongue all year he has a rather large chip on his shoulder against the Niners. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite us

Frank Gore is still owed 6 million, but we let Brown walk for Cook? Are you kidding me? John Martin? Who’s making these decisions? Blaine Gabbert with no heart and a team that gave up on him with a quickness? Who’s making these decisions? Is Mark Davis running our front office? Did we switch front offices with the Raiders as an experiment? That’s the only thing I can fathom.

Can’t pay everyone? Is that all you guys have? ‘Cause you can play a lot more by prioritizing CORRECTLY, and not cutting Gore is taking this team down the tubes, quick!!!! That 6 million will be killing our secondary this year. Every time there’s a blown coverage, I’m blaming that on Frank Gore.

• Please save a little of the blame fer Balky/Paraage as their share of the “credit” fer fucking TB out of $1.7 M. This is not a FO that gave a rats ass over retaining Brown and he knows it. He is happy with $3.5M /1 yr rather than $10M/3 yr reportedly offered by 9ers.

Keeping Gore is pure sentiment but douching Brown is pure short sighted arrogance.

• NoFear49er says:

How do you want deep passing routes and less protection? How do you want an offense where the defense no longer fears the run or the pass? Every year we try to lean less on Gore and every year we end up leaning on Gore.

We will try to get Hunter more involved, again, and we will try to get Lattimore involved. BUT IT MAY GO LIKE IT’S GONE EVERY YEAR and they don’t cut it and we’re back to leaning on Gore. You think that’s pure sentiment or pure good sense and sound logic?

And how is it the Niners fault that Brown and his agent can’t read the contract they signed and got paid under? The Niners contracted to pay him for showing up and he didn’t. Any short-sighted arrogance is on the part of Brown for blaming the team for his stupidity.

Even if the Niners had wanted to pay him anyway it would set a precedent so that no one would have to perform to get paid. Why bother writing it into a contract if it doesn’t obligate the player?

NoFear,
        Why do we have Tom Rathman? What’s his job? Are you telling me Tom Rathman can’t develop a good running back if we draft one? Is that what you’re claiming? Because if you are, I’m not buying it. Every year we’re forced to lean on Frank Gore because we don’t draft running backs who can do everything. When was the last time we drafted a complete running back? Hunter? Nope. Specialty back. James? Certainly not a complete back. Lattimore? No again – too many questions about his health. So the 49ers are putting themselves in position to have to rely on Gore because they have no other options. Give Rathman options (a complete running back) and he’ll develop those options. The 49ers are afraid of Gore. They don’t want to upset him, and that’s to their decline, and my furry.

• NF Brown is being a perfect gentleman about his dealings with the Niners FO. “It’s a business;I understand they want to bring in younger guys” etc. It’s me that’s upset. I understand perfectly why he wouldn’t resign w/ Niners = he figures he can get a better future deal elsewhere and he’s seen enough. Even if he won’t say it.

That’s what I’m bitching about

‘Cause you can “pay” a lot more….

Every time there’s a missed tackle in the secondary, or a blown coverage, I’m blaming Frank Gore’s 6 million in ’14. Can’t pay everyone? Or Baalke just can’t prioritize? Spin is one thing, Baalke fuckin’ up is another.

About a month ago, you guys were all talking about how Jim Tomsula would be a good replacement. You guys were on the wrong side the Harbaugh / Tomsula debate, now you guys are further company men, spinning a horrid off season free agent period by saying, “Can’t re-sign everyone” when the oldest starting running back in the NFL is due to make 6 million. You guys are company men, through and through.

Biggest 49ers homer bloggers on this blog in order of degree.

1.) NJ – If Trent Baalke took a shit and physically carried it out to practice and announced it our new starting cornerback, NJ would claim that shit was the best cornerback in the NFL. But (because he has no sense of humor) NJ’d still miss the best punchline: That shit’s the shit.

2.) Unca Chuck – You run a blog, you need to find the middle of the debate. However, regardless of acquisition, Chuck will applauded it, maybe because Chuck just doesn’t know any better and needs to take a wait and see approach. Chuck sits on the fence more than any blogger I know. But until the chips fall, Chuck might as well copy and paste the 49ers’ website.

3.) 12th – 12th has more stones than both NJ and Chuck. 12th will say, “This move sucks.” I disagree with 12th a lot, which doesn’t make him a homer in the sense that he’s a company man, but he makes my list because it’s my list, and we disagree. Just that simple.

4.) Rob – Maybe the blogosphere’s biggest all time homer, ever. He doesn’t blog here much because he’s out chasing man-tail in Daytona beach with an adopted squirrel on his shoulder. Rob, however, could like (and spin) the 49ers’ plane going down in Nebraska (God forbid …. and knock on wood). But the next day Rob would be telling us about compensation picks and how good several players in the CFL were.

• rtfirefly says:

Rob’s hundreds of miles from Daytona, in the Scientology Capital of the World. I’ve talked with him on the phone; he’s cool. More likely to be checking out manatees or going down to The ‘Glades to hope to see a jaguar. But if the Browns’ owner bought the Niners, he’d write something like, “The Niners got a new OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we’ll get a Comp Pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Spitblood says:

I love how if you’ve talked with someone on the phone they’re automatically cool. Del called me once. I wrote about how the only way Singletary could win was if he put the entire organization on his back and carried it across the goal line with the Yorks firing rocket propelled grenades at him and Denise flashing Singletary her boobs. Del got inspired, and tracked me down. I thought I had a stalker. I slept with my shotgun for week…. and the neighbor’s daughter for comfort.

I’m sure everyone here’s cool to a certain degree. No question we all have good qualities. But the game is persuasion by any means possible, and right now those mean are chastising the opposition, which always leaves itself susceptible to Chuck claiming someone’s gone off the deep end. Painting me with the “unreasonable,” brush is so hurtful. I cry sometimes.

• rtfirefly says:

Me, I change opinions about the Niners’ fortunes more often than I change socks (OK, I’d better not go there). But I’ve trended sharply optimistic since the Day They Traded Alex
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Spitblood says:

Put me in this same boat, RT. The minute we got Harbaugh things got better. Then he dumped Alex and brought in Kaep and things got down-right terrific. But right now, with Frank Gore scheduled to make 6 million and us losing our secondary because of it, I’m not a happy camper. Baalke needs an amazing draft to redeem himself for this crap. And considering 2012’s draft, and AJ Jenkins, and now Frank Gore, I’m not optimistic.

I’m on your homer list for not being a homer? Classic Spitism.

Johnathan Martin, Blaine Gabbert, Antoine Bethea and Chris Cook? And Gore’s still making 6 million dollars a year? Unbelievable…….

~ Bill Walsh would never have allowed this to happen ~

• Our cap space situ will improve after June 1 when Rogers comes off the books and we’ll pick up $6+M. But right now we’re running low. By then of course the CB pool will be empty.

Need Good Draft, need good draft- but a lot of these moves/signings are stopgap until the new players from our ’14 Good Draft get coached up

This off season reminds me of when Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark brought in Antonio Langhorne. Was it Langhorne? Samuel Langhorn Clemens? I can’t remember how to say or spell his name, but the hardcore Niner fans remember what I’m talking about. For me, that was the start of the end. Right now, because Baalke’s keeping Gore and losing his secondary, which by the way is a choice, and life is about choices, I think this is the start of the end of 49er runs at Super Bowls, and, ironically, it all starts with the decision to keep Gore. Fuck Trent Baalke.

Langham

If the Niners were out of cap space and couldn’t afford to pay Brown or Whitner you might have a point. But that’s not the case. They have a number at each position and the player agrees to it or walks.
      I agree Frank is being overpaid this year, he should be getting about 3.5 mil not 6. I disagree that frank is washed up. He is not as effective anymore but went over 1,000 yds again last year and is valuable, just not as good as in his prime.
      I really want to see him cut back on his carries and the team to transition to Lattimore or whoever stands out in camp. One things for sure, it won’t be Boobie Dixon, he went to the Bills.

No, because Rogers is toast. Gore gets his 10,000 yards ans his farewell tour this year. Whine all you want, Spitty, but losing Brown has nothing to do with Gore.

You know that, besides. You just like being the pretty girl on the dance floor, not the wall flower in the corner.

Gore counted for 25% of the offensive yardge and 30% of the offensive TDs. The only other player, besides the QB, coming close to that contribution was Boldin. How much was Boldin’s contract payout last year? How about Crabtree’s? What? Nobody crying about those guys making too much? Who do think CK7 wants to see picking up blitzers?

Spitblood, Rathman or any other coach, can’t coach effort. Frank puts in the time and the effort. Rathman’s been around long enough he has plenty of input on the quality and type of RB the team is looking for. He’s probably the resident position expert. If they blow, it’s on Rathman as much or more than Baalke.

• Spitblood says:

So what you’re saying is, and have been saying is, that there simply are no other options for SF at the running back position. No other running backs out there would have the effort. They wouldn’t have the know how, and they wouldn’t have the ability Frank has. I disagree.

• NoFear49er says:

No, that’s not even close to what I’m saying, but I’ll take your trying to change my argument for me as your concession speech.

• Spitblood says:

So you’d draft a running back who can do it all in this year’s draft?

The point remains if they run the offense through Gore they will not get far. Not with Gore being 30+. Lattirmore will get phased in, and they will hopefully adjust their formations to get more favorable matchups.

Walsh was dealing with Plan B free agency. A failed attempt to level the playing field due to Eddie’s spending habits.

• Spitblood says:

I knew you’d try to muddy the water with different cap structures. Doesn’t make any difference. The same philosophy on older players would still apply with Walsh regardless of cap or no cap. You know this.

Spitty, you forgot your bio. A pretty pretty princess who spends all day admiring itself in the mirror. You flip flop on issues as the wind blows and tend to come unglued late at night.

You pick a move to beat to death, and you commence to do just that. Gore is the issue now. Just as the Tomsula deal was a couple weeks ago. You freak out over Martin when there is ZERO risk for the move. The Niners don’t lose that coveted 7th round pick if Martin isn’t on the opening day roster. Basically a freebie for a guy who has versatility across the entire line. But in your book that’s a stupid move. As far as Gabbert and Bethea go, are they better than the guys on the team? Yes. see? Easy. Brilliant moves? Hardly. But they aren’t bad because you stamp your feet about it. they are the kinds of moves that give the team depth.

Me, I like Bethea over Dahl. I like Gabbert over Pea Shooter. Cry all you want about Whitner leaving, but the Niners didn’t want to go $7 mill. They got a guy nearly as good for $6 mill less. They draft his replacement this year or next. As they would have done anyway had Whitner re-signed. Gabbert? He’s the next Alex Smith. A guy that Harbaugh can create value around, and thus trade. We’ll draft a QB this year as well.

Don’t like the Cook for Brown move at all, but there was obviously some bad blood around Brown pissing away his $2 million last year. Otherwise why go to the Raiders for a shittier deal? That ain’t on the Niners, but it came to pass, so they got another body. Cook. CB’s going to be dealt with in the draft anyway, as it would have had Brown signed, so the situation is basically the same.

Regardless of you hyperbolic preening.

Fight? I’m stomping my feet……..

Chuck,
      Damn…. I couldn’t get to sleep last night and early this morning I found the culprit – a pea under my mattress. I’m black and blue.

I don’t remember flip flopping on issues at all. Frank Gore is old and should be cut. I’ve been writing that since January. Last year I thought the issue was Greg Roman, but you learn better or come to realizations. Gore limits Roman. I started the charge against Roman that Berger jumped onto early (read Skeeber’s blog archives) but since have come to believe it’s more Gore and the front office’s fault of keeping Gore that leads to Roman’s hands being tied. That’s not a flip flop. I’ve always been a strong supporter of Jim Harbaugh. I hated Alex Smith since the days of Norv Turner yelling at Smith to be more decisive. I thought Singletary was a horrible coaching selection based on the idea that he was “a master motivator,” and wrote tirelessly that players at this level don’t need motivation, they need X’s and O’s guys who run smart schemes and know how to acquire players that fit into those schemes. I’ve always said Kaep needs to learn how to be a pocket passer. My basic principals to blogging have always been there. They are…

Coaching is the most important aspect of the football team. It’s more important than the players or the front office. Football is a young man’s game. You don’t rely on older players for sentimental reasons (like we’re doing with Gore). Qbs need to have poise in big games to win Super Bowls, and they need the intangibles Walsh always talked about. And last but not least, the idea that defenses win championships, even though Seattle just won, is now no longer true because the refs and their ambiguous penalties make passing attacks more potent (anyone can point to Peyton losing to the Seattle, but Seattle was a far superior team in all aspects so the case in point doesn’t hold up as a counter argument).

Now to the current 49er moves… There’s no risk to Martin on the surface, but there is one underneath, and it’s becoming a theme. Sometimes an acquisition in itself isn’t threatening but it indicates a threat. To me, Martin indicates the 49ers are taking their eyes off the ball. I don’t think Martin will make the team, and I’m betting the 49er know he won’t make the team. I think they’re doing this to help Martin rehab his career because Harbaugh knows Martin. I think it’s good that Harbaugh is working on his character and relationships with players, but I’d rather he be working on it with current guys on the team, guys like T. Brown who I believe just walked partly out of spite because Harbaugh said he’d make it right but only ponied up $300,000. The Martin move indicates Harbaugh is wasting his time in areas that don’t really matter, and missing the point still in areas that do matter. This is what angers me, and if you put Martin together with Cook and the decision to acquire an older DB when the draft could give us a much better and cheaper safety with more long-term future for us, I think our front office is doing a horrible job this off season considering that Bill Walsh would have cut Frank Gore and had 6 million to spend on T Brown (not all of it), and subsequently created both a better backfield and a better secondary. But instead, the 49ers are making sentimental moves like Martin and Gore, and getting addicted to older players like Gore and Bethea, and they’re getting further, in my opinion, away from competing for Super Bowls.

Who doesn’t like Bethea over Dahl? That’s like saying you’d like to eat a firm turd over drinking diarrhea. I like firm turds. Calvin Prior or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix or even Jimmy Ward will all be starters in the league for a long time barring injury, and that was the move. That was what Baalke should have done. You have this idea we should go wide receiver in the first round but we can’t draft or develop wide receiver talent and we have talented wide receivers on this team in guys like Jon Baldwin who Harbaugh and his coaches have wasting away on the sidelines. Our passing attack sucks, and if you go back and read up top, coaching is more important to me than players. So regardless if we draft a great player, if the coaches don’t know how to use them, it’s a waste, and we’ve proven we waste our wide receiver selections – Richardo, Kyle, Jenkins and now Baldwin is stuck on the bench.

A young safety like Prior, Clinton-Dix or Ward would be infinitely more valuable to their teams than Bethea is to the 49ers. It’s almost as if Baalke is incorrectly saying, “I have Gore one more year, and Cowboy one more year, and Harbaugh and Kaep’s contracts are up, I need to win now so let’s mortgage the future.” You wrote earlier, Chuck, that going the route of a Prior or Clinton Dix would be a huge mistake. Really? How would you like to make a wager? I’ll bet you that out of Prior, Clinton-Dix and Jimmy Ward, two safeties are eventual Pro Bowlers, (or All Pro), and that at least one makes the rookie all pro team or is even nominated for rookie of the year. And I’m hedging a little because I think all three will no only be starters early, but all three will be great players in the league no matter how you slice it, regardless of awards. If that’s the case, and we’ll find out soon enough, Antonie Bethea was a huge mistake because he’s more expensive, less talented with a much shorter shelf life.

Trent Baalke and the 49er front office are making huge mistakes right now, and those mistakes are going to cost this football team dearly.

Eat a firm turd? Chuck has to answer this……

Spit i have to ask a question.

You honestly believe the Niners should draft a FS and put him in the SS position next to a one year starter who was injured twice in Reid with 2 corners that have very limited starting experience in Culliver and Brock and Culliver is coming off a serious injury or perhaps sub a rookie for Culliver?

I know you like to take a contrarian position then create argument for why it would work but this is thin even for you.

12th – I would draft either Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first round and I’d work them into the starting lineup behind both Reid and Bethea – with the ultimate goal being Reid and Clinton-Dix starting, two FSs. I wouldn’t worry for a second about the secondary’s relative inexperience because young guys coming together as a unit create energy and ownership, especially if all members are good, have a tremendous amount of pride and care about the unit, team and their collective success. Let their personalities shine fast, and let them all build confidence quick knowing they’re good and can dominate – shutting down opponents. This is what happened in ’81. It paid dividends for years after. Brock, Culliver and Wright will be okay. Cook won’t last. I’d also draft another CB. Reid needs to protect his head. I think Pryor’s a SS in the NFL, but I think Clinton-Dix is a FS in the NFL. But I wouldn’t hesitate to draft either because, like it’s been widely stated, the 49ers prefer their two safeties to be “interchangeable.” I think there’s more value in drafting a safety in the first than there is a wide receiver. Few first round safeties bust. Lots of first round wide receivers bust.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I agree as to drafting a safety and a CB. I’d *like* a WR, too, but I fear we would not know what to do with him anyway – at least not enough to justify using a first round pick.

What we’ll probably do, of course, is take the BPA. The good news is, with the number of good DBs available this year, that might just end up being S, then CB.

And if / when the rookie beats out Bethea, let him play. If it’s Reid all over again, from week one of 2014… if it takes longer, it takes longer. But if the younger player is ready to play, and there is no substantial benefit to going with the vet, then play the kid. Same thing at CB.

Maybe if we take three WRs in the middle rounds, we can get ONE who can play. ANd then of course, we can ignore him and play McDonald in the slot.

• Spitblood says:

People on this blog who think going wide receiver in the first round is a good option have to believe that players are more important than a coaching system, and therefore can outshine a coaching scheme. Those who believe coaching schemes trump the player’s talent, don’t want a first round wide receiver. To further my lack of a desire for a first round wide receiver, I’d say this: we have a ton of wide receiver talent. I like Jon Baldwin, although I’m in the minority. Patton and McDonald will see their careers take off because, like everyone says, the greatest improvement is always in year two. That leaves the 49ers with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Vernon, McDonald and Baldwin. In my opinion, all the 49ers really need is a speed receiver who’s more top-end speed fast than quick. I think we can find a fast receiver to take the top off the defense in the later rounds.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah. It does not matter if we have the Second Coming of Bob Hayes out there, if we never use him. I don’t want to use another first rounder on a guy who is not even on the field every down by year three. I’d rather draft a center, or even another DL / LB, than a WR in round one. And if we do, he’d better be a Pro Bowl type guy and we’d better use him.

• Spitblood says:

I’d be cool with a NT. I don’t think LB. Trust me, Nick Moody will be a player. Might be an eventual replacement for Willis.

50. There’s the rub = even if we acquire the best players will they be played? I don’t think Brown would have signed w/us period = too much water under that bridge but the point is well taken. A lot of money tied up in Gore limiting others. I’m praying fer a good draft w/ CB, FS, WRs galore for us.

Spit what I suggest here in terms of Draft options comes with the assumption that Baalke is picking at 30.
    To your insinuation that I’m a company man, its a direct result of what I’m predicting the Company Man to do.
    You and I can debate the options until the cows come home, that’s fine, that’s what I come here to do, talk 9ers.

I attempt to predict what Baalke has up his sleeve.

Last year Eric Reid was my top S.
    I could not have predicted that Baalke would make the trade to get him.
    Glad he did, it was a great move, one even you’d be hard-pressed to disparage.

You like Pryor, so do I, he runs well, tackles and plays the pass very well.
    I don’t see him making it close to Pick 30.
    If Baalke makes a similar move up the Board, as he did with Reid, I’d have no complaints.
    We can’t begin to know what his strategy is because it takes a willing partner to trade up the Board.

CDix is overrated IMO, not very physical.
    For that reason, I’d look toward Deone Bucannon, who could be had later.
    It’s about slotting for value, something the Pro Scouts and GMs get paid to do.

We can have our opinions, make our predictions, whatever.
    It comes down to what Baalke will do.
    He’s the Official Company Man.

I choose to accept that he’s being paid very well to do his job.
    Until he’s not.
    You continually malign the AJJ Pick, while failing to appreciate moves like getting Reid.
    It’s not a perfect world when Drafting College players.

Most Mock Drafts don’t have Pryor getting past the Eagles.
      Personally I’d be surprised if he goes that far down the Board.

No one knows what happens until it happens.
      I’d be happy to add value at Pick 30.

I’m sure that’s how most GMs shop, if there isn’t a specific position of necessity.

It wouldn’t shock me if StL chose him at 13.
        We’ll see.

• Spitblood says:

The Eagles picked up Malcom Jenkins to play safety in free agency.

Well aware of that.
        Still wouldn’t dismiss Philly from making a Secondary Pick at 22.
        He’s not all that terrific in Coverage, nor is he a spring chicken age-wise.

• Spitblood says:

So the Eagles can pickup a safety in free agency and draft one in the first round? Sounds crazy.

You’re proposing that for us aren’t you?
        Why the contradiction?
        If they value Pryor highly, it could certainly happen.

What seems odd to me is, they snagged Malcom and followed it up with Chris Maragos.

• Spitblood says:

Your sarcasm meter’s so far up your ass it’s not detecting anything.

Maybe because you’ve chosen to get up my A$$ for having anything constructive to say, about the topics you’ve chosen to discuss?

Perhaps we should all just standby and get ridiculed for having anything constructive to add to the conversation?

Grow the eff up.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t think you know what “constructive” means. Constructive does not mean to follow people, blindly. I’m certain of it.

Having my own opinion isn’t following anyone blindly Spit.
        That’s your definition, for whatever reason you’ve chosen it.

• Spitblood says:

All you do is play the party line. You’re the world’s biggest 49er homer. If Baalke does it, you love it. You have opinions like the SS had opinions of Hitler.

Schefter from ESPN says Broncos likely to sign Sanders. Sanders was due to go to SF tonight.

NJ – Baalke sucks. Quit ridin’ his wanker.

To the rest of you, here are four wide receivers who I think could take the top off the defense without speed. Ginn took the top off the defense with speed alone, but because Alex couldn’t throw a deep ball, and Kaep had Moss, Ginn wasn’t much of a deep threat but he still successfully took the top off the defense with his speed. Unlike Ginn, if a receiver has average speed but good size and can high point the ball, and he’s a deep threat, he takes the top off the defense because safeties have to respect his big play ability from the outside (not the slot). Here are three guys I think the 49ers could draft in the later rounds to give the 49ers a deep threat. Remember, Alshon Jeffrey ran a 4.48 at the combine. Speed is definitely important, but after looking at 15 later round receivers, the 49er could find a deep threat receiver who takes the top off the defense in the later round, without speed. Ideally, there’d be a rough project type with size and speed in the later rounds, but I couldn’t find one. I’ll post highlights for all three guys, and NJ will inevitably say he likes ’em all.

1.) Devin Street, 6’3″, 4.55 / 40 (5th round projection)
    2.) Brandon Coleman, 6’6″ 4.56 / 40 (5th round projection)
    3.) Martavis Bryant 6’4″ 4.42 / 40 (3rd round projection)

4.5 guys don’t typically take the top off Defenses Spit.
      I do like Martavis.

Coleman is a big target. Like him for our inept Red Zone attack though.

Take a look at Donte Moncrief while you’re at it.
      I have him rated higher then all of these options.

All good options Spit –
      I’ll have a Draft Board completed as I do every year.
      I would have Jordan Matthews on that list of 6’2″+ WRs right now too.

What takes the top off the defense? One thing, and one thing only – big plays down field. You fly by someone, defensive coordinators notice and bring a safety over the top to help. But you consistently out-jump someone with a big body, and defensive coordinators really notice that bring a safety over to help, thus taking the top off the defense without speed. The key is you have to catch the ball, and beat the corner.

Guys like Bryant and Beckham had excellent Verts as well.
      Davante Adams, a bit shorter also leaps well.
      Fact is, there are numerous options that could help us from this Class.
      I’m sure we’ll do well.

Have you checked out Donte Moncrief?
      He posted a 4.4 and a 39.5″ Vert also.

Cal Poly (10-19, 6-10 regular season) is GOING DANCING! LOLOL
    Anybody for expanding the NFL playoffs?

56. philippinefan says:

Nothing breeds imitation like success. I see us imitating SEA a bit with the Cook move at CB. He could be our harasser in chief tasked with mugging WRs coming off the line and into his zone ala Sherman. Also see Beth-A playing a lot of close in run support which he still does very well and not so much pass coverage = SS more than FS I believe. That leaves at this point Reid playing off, deep mostly with Culliver the other CB helping out back there in pass coverage. (falls on knees, sez “Lord heal that man!”).

Losing Brown hurts but this has been mishandled since he and his agent fucked up and the Niners did little. And that is why ya go the extra mile NF to show a player you want him around. We didn’t, he’s gone. Hard headed business move? Sure. And dumb FO calculation that will hurt us “some” this season no matter who we start or draft. So we are going to need help in the draft with pass coverage medium to deep routes. We have dueling suggestions between NJ and Spit as to who that might be. My 2 cents but I see Cook and Beth-A playing closer to the line and stuffing the run as much as possible. It’s a gamble because we are now thin due to loss of Brown on the back end. That’s where we are rolling the dice.

• philippinefan says:

Here’s Chris Cooks comments that got me thunking:

“Earlier Friday, the 49ers signed ex-Minnesota Vikings cornerback Chris Cook. He is expected to be a bottom-of-the-rotation player, although at 6-2 he has a chance to make an impact with the team.” (espn)

“They want me to be the press guy,” Cook said in a conference call Friday. “And that’s what I like to do. I feel like I’ll fit in well with the one-high [safety] scheme that they like to run. I came from a two-high scheme. And I feel like a one-high scheme and a man-to-man scheme fits me well.”

• NoFear49er says:

Maybe we could have organized a telethon for poor T. Don’t worry about his hurt feelings. He probably has a case against his agent’s errors and omissions, or whatever their equivalent professional liability, insurance anyway. Or he could read the effin’ contract like everyone else in the business world is expected to do. Remember the players/teams catch-all phrase, it’s a business.

He either pissed some folks off or didn’t play well enough to get the money. Yeah, “He’s gone!”

Spit I’m really pulling for Baalke to select one or more of of YOUR guys, just to see how really stupid he is.

Fact of the matter is, it’s your agenda that matters here, not talking 9ers with half an ounce of intelligence or, shared appreciation for what many of us enjoy doing here.

Talk about sh!tting on the blog?
    All you do is talk sh!t.

It’s called “warm spit.”

• Spitblood says:

NJ – Because you don’t have any original thoughts of your own, why don’t you go to the 49er website and cut and paste all their comments over here under your name. That’s what you do anyway. Why not just declare you’re a homer and a company man through and through? Make it more fun for all of us. Just a thought.

Spit my opinions are formed through lots of information I obtain from numerous sources.
        I can think for myself.

You should try it.
        Just a thought.
        You choose to take exception to my input.

My mistake was to think there was any possibility of sharing opinions on the Draft with you.

Facts elude you.
        Something I tried to deliver wherever possible.
        You’re free to voice an opinion, like the rest of us.
        Keep the personal insults out of it.
        Just another thought.

• Spitblood says:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

If you’ve got an issue with Baalke, take it up with him.
        Another fact of the discussion is, he’s paid to make the choices you and the rest of us will accept, like it or not.

Again, if he choses some of your options, it’s a foregone conclusion he’d be a genius I’m sure.

Rag on.

Here’s an original thought for you Spit.
        I’m going to pencil in DE Larry Webster from Bloomsburg as a possible TE conversion for us.

I do read Bio info on 100s of Draft eligible guys during the off-months.

• Spitblood says:

“If you have an issue with Baalke, take it up with him.” Or I can take up my issue with you, who appears to be Baalke’s boy, or mouthpiece. What’s the difference?

You’ve obviously got no other agenda here then to create friction Spit.

Baalke is going to do what he’s paid to do.
        What’s your purpose for trashing me?
        Got nothing better to do?

NJ,
        You’re a victim of cyber bullying, and you should stand up against bullying. Nobody deserves that, especially not Trent Baalke’s boyfriend.

Trent just might pick some of your guys Spit.
        Then what?
        You obviously enjoy the rhetoric of bashing opinions.
        He’s the GM.
        Deal with it.

You sure don’t bring much in the way of intelligent conversation otherwise.
        Why don’t you check in on Tom Gamble and give us an update.

• Spitblood says:

Who wants to converse? ,I dictate. Take some notes, mother fucker. If Trent picks some of my guys it’s because he reads this blog. He should read me more often. Might save his dumb ass.

Gotcha Douche Nozzle.
        The world awaits your pearls of wisdom.

What’s Tom up to?
        You helping him with his talent evaluation these days?

• Spitblood says:

Are you attempting levity? With that limited Trent Baalke lovin’ brain of yours? I bet smoke started coming out of your ears. Don’t give yourself an aneurysm, Baalke lover.

You’re the one obsessing over Baalke.
        Got something intelligent to offer or do you just live to talk sh!t?
        You got nothing.

• Spitblood says:

I got nothing? I got the 2012 draft. Oh wait, that WAS “nothing,” so maybe you’re right. Talk about your swing and a miss. What about AJ Jenkins? What about Frank Gore making 6 million dollars this year? Gore’s money makes our secondary and our backfield worse. These are Baalke decisions. La Micheal James? That’s a first and a second round bust at the hands of Baalke and we aren’t even three years into his reign. You have to be one stupid mother fucker to worship Baalke.

Get your feeble mind out of 2012 Clown.
        Fire off your resume to 4949 Centennial Blvd.
        How they managed to survive without you amazes me.

Bring something that involves some thought.
        If you’re capable of living life looking forward instead of reverse.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
        Geniuses like you are always right.

58. Shit as we all know is a blog killer. Feel free as I do to ignore it.

Looks like our drafting woes w/ WRs extend to signing FA WRs as well. Goes back a way if you include Manningham. Cap limitations not helping either. Maybe Gore is a ‘luxury’ we can’t afford as we remain thin at WR and in DBs. Hello draft. Or maybe another trade?

59. For now, here are the top cornerbacks and wide receivers still available.

Cornerback

2. Sidney Rice
    3. Santonio Holmes
    4. Miles Austin
    5. Kenny Britt

(from Niners Nation)

Phil you can pull LaFell off the list –
      Pats did a 3yr/ $11M deal with him and, are courting Kenny Britt as well.
      Safe to say Carolina will be Drafting a WR or 2 in May?

I always liked Britt when he played at Rutgers.
      Problem is, he’s turned into an off the field headache in recent years.

Too bad, good size and speed but, he’s obviously not too serious about playing up to his potential.

There’s not one guy on any of those lists I’d be interested in acquiring. James Jones….. maybe. Aaron Rogers dropping dimes on James repeatedly throughout his career, with him at first having trouble catching them, lessens his value. Even with Rogers, Jones still disappear in some games. Kaep’s not going to improve his value. Roman’s system over McCarthy’s isn’t going to improve Jones’ value. The rest would be like Mario Manningham…. little contribution.

61. Yeah football- and blogging about football- is no different than anything else in life = if you don’t have yer shit together it’s hard to get good results. As the 60s song goes “Easy to be Hard” (Jesus Christ Super Star or Hair- I ferget). May work fer the hard ass but not so much for others. People like it a lot better when it’s easy for sure.

62. So the draft looms large in determining filling our needs as we suspected given our cap situation. We will have $6M+ after June 1 to add to cap #. Use that to sign one of our own?

There’s got to be money for the Draftees too Phil.
      Baalke may have another FA bargain in mind, we’ll see what comes.
      FA Poker, see who puts a guy on the street and, whether he’s a good fit.

I was surprised we made the moves we did this early.
      I guess Whitner departing meant filling the void with the next best option.
      The Draft will certainly bring some additional youth to the WR/Secondary units for us.

Phil,
        NJ’s brain is so, so small. We shouldn’t overwork it like this. Between you talking cap space and draft choices, NJ checking in with Trent Baalke on an hourly basis, and me cyber bullying NJ somethin’ fierce, something’s gotta give. I think we should stop talking about anything Trent Baalke related so NJ can recuperate. Right now he’s passed out on his kitchen floor, mumbling to himself, “Baalke does NOT suck, Spit. He does NOT suck!” Let him curl up in the fettle position and sleep this one off.

You’re a flaming legend in your own mind Spit.
        Sad there isn’t much of mind to enjoy however.
        Dream on Numb Nuts.

You’re the missing talent adviser Baalke has been seeking since Tom Gamble left.
        Fire off your resume, the Draft is on the horizon.
        He might not have all the facts you can provide.

Go do some Draft research, you might just learn something.
        If there’s any room between your ears to absorb anything factual.

We had our flurry of excitement when FA started and that’s posed some new scenarios to mull over. Now I think we’ve entered the dead season fer awhile awaiting new developments. News. You can usually count on this being the moment the inmates get restless and the pie throwing/food fights commence. We’re right on schedule my friends

Trouble is Phil, Spit feels the need to get abusive.
      Opinions are like A$$holes.
      We’ve all got one.

I can share opinions and accept that we all can’t always agree.
      It’s sports.
      Too bad the resident clown can’t get paid for all his knowledge.

Darren Sproles was a 4th RD selection – 5’6″ 187
    He’s earning a living by adding speed and KR abilities to the teams he’s played for.
    I suggested Dri Archer in pretty much the same vernacular and get sh!t on for having an opinion.
    His guys are more valuable because they’re HIS guys.

Maybe LMJ was chosen with that sort of idea in mind?
    All 3 guys are small with speed.
    But, since LMJ has had problems cracking the lineup, Baalke is clueless.

Maybe LMJ just isn’t up to the Pro level yet?
    AJJ flunked that test too.
    It happens.

You want to talk Draft, football strategy whatever, it comes down to accepting input from everyone.
    That’s the idea of this forum.

Keep it civil and air your viewpoints.
    Nobody needs to be denigrated for having input about the team we follow.
    No, let’s take cheap shots and abuse people.
    In the end, Baalke and Harbaugh make the decisions.
    We’re left to debate the results.

• Yep NJ even tho this forum is about a game we should still act like adults.

NJ, consider the source. Spit likes to stir the pot and it is what it is, no biggie.

Normal people here appreciate your viewpoints and insights as we are all too lazy to put the effort into the kind of research you do and it is not a matter of who is right or wrong, its the draft, and even the GM’s don’t have much idea which players will be available at any given point.

Spit is “for entertainment purposes only”. He should be a politician really as his various arguments on the surface sound sort of plausible but most don’t stand up to any real scrutiny. That is why he is resorting to personal attacks with you, you take him to task over his “facts” and it exposes it for what it is.

He is a character on the blog. He and I don’t agree too often but he does come up with a nugget or two of solid stuff and keeps a blog rolling for good or bad. When not being belligerent he can be fun to blog with.

Just my thoughts.

Now boys just let out a loud BLEEP!

Yeah, if Spitty wants to get banned back to the hinterlands of the Merc for being a dick, it’ll happen.

What say you, skippy?

Chuck not that you need to listen to me about how to run your blog but I wouldn’t be in favor of banning Spit for whatever that is worth.

• Spitblood says:

I’d ban that SOB quicker than you could say bratwurst.

Sanders is gone. He was available. 3/15? Shit. He never got to the building though. Although his agent is getting roasted.

• We need to find some nuggets in da draft this year = WRs

I hope they take a DB in the first round. Spit pointed out that there is more depth at CB than safety as a reason to take a safety first and he has a point. I still figure they take a CB in the first if value is there and then a toss up of WR or safety next. Don’t want to see a WR in the 1st round unless they get really lucky and a player drops further than expected.

It’s a guessing game and that’s mine.

I did want to see a FA WR picked up but it hasn’t happened yet and is looking less likely now and the same with a FA CB but not too crazy with them taking Cook. I get that he will get his shot in TC but even so.

Yeah, I had hopes for Emmanuel Sanders, but nope. Christ, re-sign Manningham. He;s getting little interest and we can have him for cheap.

Shit, the last 8 slant passes we threw were to him.

Everyone is saying BPA BPA BPA.

I’d rather see them go with a corner with the 1st pick, as I have a lot more faith in Bethea than Cook. And I don;t see any more help in free agency for any position.

NEW THread is up . . .