The Perfect Storm

kappySI

To kill the jinx, we must acknowledge it. It what must be some kind of twist of fate, the Niners are facing the Double Whammy of jinxes this weekend. EVERYONE knows about the Sports Illustrated cover jinx. And sure enough, there he is, big as life, Colin Kaepernick on the cover of SI this week. Holy . . . indeed. When was the last time the Niners were on the cover of SI? You guessed it. Right before last year’s NFC Champiomship game against the New York Giants. And we all know how that turned out.

The other hobgoblin of doom is the season-long pattern of w-w-l; w-w-l; w-w-t; w-w-l; w-w-l; w-w-l; w-w-??? 18 games into this season, and the pattern goes on. Uncanny consistency in being inconsistent. Every 2 game winning streak was followed by the NFL wonks declaring that the Niners are the best team in the NFL. Whereas they would puke on their shoes and get knocked down a peg or 3. Some losses were to good teams (Giants, Minn), some to bad (StL), and some were ugly (Seattle).

I don’t hold much truck in the fact that my actions determine the fate of my team (superstitions  being something I left behind me a while ago), but this may be the time to bring extra mojo to the table. The 49ers are 5-8 in NFC Championship games, and bring a 1-5 record in their last 6 playoff road games. Pish posh you say? Ancient history? Well, sure. But there sure seems to be a boatload of kharmic baggage to overcome in this game. So, dig out that old ticket stub, find that 26 year old t-shirt that brough you good luck in the 1994 Super Bowl game, and hope to hell these patterns don’t repeat themselves. Because as we all know, those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

137 Responses to The Perfect Storm

From 12th on the last thread. Good stuff . . .

12th man says:

January 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

For the gamblers amongst us or just for fun…

2. Alleykat says:

Love the cover…Jimbo surely yelling.out Holy Shit!!!!
    He’s hit the big Gold strike with Kappy!!!

3. barleyfreak says:

The “L” in the WWL pattern has always followed a prime time ass kicking. From Barrows:

” The national attention and praise the 49ers are getting this year fits a pattern, and it’s not a good one for San Francisco. It seems that whenever the 49ers have won a momentous, prime-time game this year – Detroit, at Arizona, at New England – they’ve received an avalanche of kudos and have jumped to the top of everyone’s power ranking (which, by the way, are about as useless as mock drafts).”

That said, I think patterns like this and “jinxes” etc, are streaks waiting to be broken. Nothing lasts forever. I do think the Niners play better playing the “no respect” card — but a lot of teams have trouble with success. In this NFCCG, their hunger and talent will break this streak. But I still see it close. When can I start drinking?

Well, the Niners beat the Lions after beating the Packers . . . and they beat NO after beating Chicago on Monday night. that ain;t really true.

Going into this game, my hope is that Nolan and Co. overplay the Kappy running factor. They can use an LB as a spy while VD goes deep middle.

I see the Niners taking big advantage of the overreaction by Atlanta.

• Spitblood says:

Kaep needs to be patient, orchestrating slow, methodical drives. He’ll see zone, nickle and dime coverages against Atlanta that will require touch, patience and the ability to let the running backs win the game.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Nolan will also expect a lot of Gore up the middle. So use LMJ on the edges to loosen that shit up.

If they give Moss the big cushion, throw short outs to the first down marker until they stop.

Make the safety deep choose: cover Crabs on the deep fly, or VD on the post. Heads I win, tails you lose.

The Offensive line needs to manhandle their D-line the way did to the Packers. Take them out of their game, get a lead, silence the crowd.

Chip Kelly changed his mind, he is now the Eagles HC.

• Alleykat says:

Yeah I caught that Kevin..And.the.Dumass Bears named.Marc Trestman their Coach.LOL
      When he was.with.the Niners back in the.days,and after they were bounced in a.playoff game,Eddie D couldnt wait.to call a press conference and tell Trestman…”YOUR GONE”

• Irish Kevin says:

Yeah, but Kelly is in a win, win situation, if he bombs in the NFL some College will pick him up, kinda like that Seattle Coach….whats his name?? anyway then Kelly can come back to the NFL later.

• Spitblood says:

Carroll ain’t bombing in the NFL.

Carroll bombed in New York and New England . . . give him time.

• Spitblood says:

Carroll was just named “NFC Coach of the Year.” Carroll didn’t bomb with the Patriots. Go back and look at Carroll in New England. Carroll did well and Bob Kraft said he was torn about firing Carroll and the reason Carroll was fired was beyond Carroll’s control (which could just be a classy move). Carroll coached the Patriots for three years and for two years he made the playoffs. Carroll then went out and built up USC and won championships. And I think, if I’m not mistaken, Carroll was our D coordinator when the 49ers won the Super Bowl … but my memory is going. It’s the dementia. You and I, Chuck, have been debating this for years. You keep saying, “give it time.” Well Pete just missed the playoffs last year, and this year he was the coach of the one team nobody wanted to play. Next year? Who knows? The only reason he’s not playing in the NFC Championship right now is because his team played a slobber knocker against the 49ers, then flew across country to the Redskins, then flew across country again to play the Falcons. If those are home games, Pete’s a Super Bowl favorite right now. And look at what Pete did with Russell Wilson. 3rd round pick? That’s kid’s legit, and the team only has to pay him peanuts because of the rookie salary cap. And that’s right, you guessed it – that means Pete can buy other free agents this off season to improve their linebackers and receivers. But you’re right….. Pete sucks. Lol.

Pete inherited a Super Bowl team that carroll turned into an also-ran in 3 years. He went the wrong direction.

• Irish Kevin says:

uh, spit, you must be very young or not into football. Carroll’s first try into the NFL HC ranks, don’t know the year(s) don’t care, he bombed and went back to College coaching.

Yup. I very easily can see the Niners coming out running. Then working play-action into the mix. VD/Crabs over the middle.

• Spitblood says:

The key to the entire game will be the first quarter of football. I’m not worried about the 49ers’ finish in the second half. I’m worried about the start of the game. Kaep has to be patient and let the game actually be a short yardage game. Kaep has to say to himself, “In the first half I’m NOT going to let it all hangout. In the first half I’m going to be patient, hand the ball off and look to throw short touch passes to receivers who can gain minimal yardage and move the sticks.” In the second half, if Kaep does that, I’m confident Nolan will fuck it all up and try to get too tricky or watch as his defensive players get confused. I’m supremely confident the 49ers will win 45-17 if Kaep can play slow and concise in the first half. What happened in the Seattle game? Nolan’s D was great the first half, then sucked when it mattered the most. VD and James could have big first halfs – then Moss and Crabtree will have big second halfs.

The way to beat Kaep is to confuse him. But it’s hard to confuse a guy who has the line and running game Kaep has. If I was the defensive coordinator, I’d give Kaep a 4-1-6 defense to start the game (first play). Then on the second play I’d give him a 5-2-3 look. It’s great that Kaep can call two plays in the huddle and audible out when the defense is slighting one way or the other. But, what I’d try to do (if I was Nolan), was show a 5-2-3 or 4-1-6 and then at the snap I’d have guys shifting into different actual formations. It’s hard to do, especially with one week to prepare. And trying could result in a lot of blown coverages. Right now, for Nolan, it’s almost like you gotta dance with who you brung. But for me, I’d be looking to confuse the hell outta Kaep with gimmicks and shifts and mind boggling defensive formations pre snap that he’s never seen before. I think doing that would result in Kaep audibling to the run if the box is stacked, so Nolan should anticipate that – going with a 5-3-3 defense and then immediately dropping maybe two DEs into coverage. Or, if the defense is in a 3-2-6 formation, run blitz both safeties.

Again, though – You can bring all the tricks and gimmicks at Kaep but you get guys like Mike Iupati running downhill and that’s a pretty easy five yards for Gore if the defense is out of position. I really think the 49ers, with Kaep, are impossible to defend. It’ll take the NFL a year or two to create defenses that can stop the 49ers’ attack.

And it’ll be interesting to see how Chip Kelly uses Mike Vick. I bet the Eagles hired Chip because of Kaep’s game on Saturday. And Chip beat Harbaugh. Now Chip has Vick and the two could create a deadly combo, but it’ll take time and Vick has little left.

8. shaman138 says:

Well, I made a bet with a buddy of mine who loathes the 9ers–he wins $50 if they lose and I win the money if they win. So here’s hoping the jinx is broken on Sunday…I think they’ll do it. ATL is an average, over-rated team and Matty Ice loves to pull a Carson Palmer in big games and throw INTs at exactly the wrong time. Besides, I would LOVE to see a Harbowl SB–that would be fun.

The Bears just made the world’s worst move ever hiring Turretsman (he’ll scream the wrong play into his headset). In an era when the college game is actually revolutionizing NFL offenses, instead of looking to the college game, the Bears look to Canada. Perfect. Nice thinking. How awesome is that for the Eagles and Redskins? That’s two games right there for the old Chipper – regardless if the Eagles’ offensive line rivals only the Bears for futility.

Oh, don’t kid yourself. Nolan’s big suck defense will make its appearance on Sunday. The niners need to attack it when they see it.

I think the Niners come out conservative because Nolan’s tendency IS to overreact. He’ll come out with a lot of DBs and hope one can spy on Kappy to keep him contained. That’s when you strike down the middle with VD in the slot.

I hope to GOD Celek gets more shots. Walker is becoming a bigger disaster than I imagined,

• Spitblood says:

I hope Celek gets more time and the 49ers draft another TE this offseason. I’ve always hated, “Best Player Available,” but beside linebacker and offensive line, the 49ers are the closest team in the NFL that could justify the “best player available,” strategy. If I was drafting next year, because it’s a good D line draft class, I’d go D line with the first pick, then go some combination of safety, corner, tight end, quarterback and kicker.

The 49ers should consider drafting another quarterback. Scott Tolzien, in my opinion, is trade bait in a few years. I think Harbaugh should draft another five tool outfielder who just needs coaching. I know there’s another qb out there with a brain, feet and an arm that Harbaugh can develop for a few years. If Kaep goes down, Scott Tolzien would be fun and great to watch (kinda like Bono), but unlike Montana to Bono, Kaep to Tolzien is a different mold. It’s a different game plan because Tolzien is a pocket passer.

• Grumpy Guy says:

D-line is quality, and a need. Sopoaga had a very up and down year, was nicked up a lot, and is no longer a young guy. And Justin only has so many Autumns left, too.

After that, CB, OLB, then with the boatload of picks in the middle rounds, RB, WR, QB, TE, K, S. Use the rest of the basket for trading up. If you can’t get an immediate impact player, get someone who can upgrade the bottom of your roster – someone who is better than a Tremaine Brock or a Darcell McBath.

• Spitblood says:

Don’t forget, we get Parys back and he’s not chopped liver. He’s a good backup, and we have Grant. I don’t think we need a linebacker. I’d love to see us pickup an awesome D lineman in the first round – just a real slobber knocker, with hair on his teeth and can’t speak English.. or speak in general… born without a tongue and kept in a cage for years as his handlers poked sticks at him and made him cry as a boy, then gradually hardened over the years. And his muscles, because he was caged, aren’t taxed. They’re fresh, developed by testosterone and pain.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Haralson won’t survive camp next year unless someone gets hurt. Look for Fleming to show what he can on the outside. But you never have enough pass rushers. I’d like a guy who can get to the QB in the 4th quarter when Aldon and Brooks are tired. That ain’t Haralson’s game.

• Spitblood says:

I gotta disagree with you there, partner. I think Haralson will make the team next year. If there was any doubt, I doubt the 49ers would keep him around all year on IR. I don’t know how the injury settlements work, but I imagine if the 49ers were just going to cut him they’d pay him an injury settlement and be done with him. I think on merit alone Haralson makes the team. And I think Haralson is a good backup. He can get pressure, and he sets the edge well (although he can get juked out of his shorts by the qb bootleg and misdirection plays).

Spit, Carroll was our DC in 95 or 96 I think. After the Super Bowls. He missed the parades. He also turned the Pats from a Super Bowl contender to an also-ran in 3 years.

If the Niners do anything at QB it may be to sign a vet. Gradkowski or some shit. They likely take a flier on a PS guy.

I mean if they keep all 14 picks.

• Grumpy Guy says:

You bring in a guy like Gradkowski to compete with Tolzien for number two. You draft a (cheap, with upside) 6th or 7th rounder to ride the practice squad. Just like with JJ this year, Grad either beats out Tolzien, or he gets cut.

• Spitblood says:

Grump – that’s a sin. You’re a sinner. You don’t waste Harbaugh’s talents on retreads. Tolzien is trade bait. Why? Because the 49ers are going to have problems with their cap because they have so much talent. How do you combat that? You combat that by developing late round qbs, highlighting them in the preseason and when Kaep gets injured, and then you trade your qbs to crappy teams that get higher draft choices. Would you trade Tolzien to the Raiders for a 2014 second round pick? Of course you would. And what’s the difference between Tolzien’s value now and in two years? Perception. That’s it. Perception. Jim Harbaugh: JJ, Luck and Kaep. That’s damn good company. Think Tolzien’s value isn’t skyrocketing while Kaep tears the cover off the NFL? The 49ers’ second and third string qbs need to be functional trade bait. Just put the stamp on ’em, “Jim Harbaugh Approved,” and watch ’em scream off the shelf.

The reason I disagree with Gronk is because Scott Tolzien doesn’t need anymore motivation. That kid wants to play more than John Foggerty. Draft a 5-7 round qb with all the tools and have a plan to highlight and trade Tolzien. Eventually the press will start talking about how great Harbaugh is at developing qbs. And eventually, teams that really suck will pay high dollar to put butts in the seats to watch a Harbaugh talent play for their team.

• Spitblood says:

My timeline would be in 2013 make Tolzien the number two and give him a lot …. A TON of playing time in the pre season and play him as much as possible in the regular season. Develop a number three in 2013. In 2014, trade Tolzien for a second or third round draft choice. Make 2013’s 5-7 round qb the backup qb in 2014. Why not? Kaep was the backup as a rookie. Nobody here believed in him. Even the great Spitblood was skeptical when I first saw him in the preseason last year. And that dude knows qb play. ABAS!!!

• Grumpy Guy says:

I would not *expect* that Grad would beat out Tolzien, actually. It’s more insurance against regression or injury. Which really, is what JJ was this year. I think JH knew from Day One how he *wanted* the QB situation to play out; JJ was just a spare tire if he needed it.

• Grumpy Guy says:

And fuck, me… a sinner.

Shit. You don’t have the full list, I hope. 😀

• Spitblood says:

I’d agree with what you wrote about Grad and JJ being backups. I’m pickin’ up what you’re layin’ down. And yes, I do have a list. You were downright awful in Tijuana.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Awful? Hell, IDK Spit, the twin sisters thought I was pretty good.

Theoretically. If there were twins. In Tijuana. Or elsewhere.

• Spitblood says:

Those twins theoretically deserved better.

Niners will beat them good. Atlanta will be begging for mercy.

How many SI covers did NOT result in some negative result for the coveree? About 99% of ’em? Michael Phelps must have been on several covers, and he won some shitload of gold medals over 3 Olympics, etc. I wish SI’s writers were playing for Atlanta, that’d be a good thing…

Can Atlanta win this game? Sure they can. I’m not convinced this is a cakewalk. But, if the Niners throttle their running game, the Niners should be able to handle and plan for their passing game, which is the only thing they have going. I figure Atlanta has to get at least two turnovers from the Niners, with one leading directly to a TD, or a special teams TD, to be in this thing, and that won’t even guarantee a win. I’m looking for LMJ to have a standout game on turf. If Niners get a lead early and shut down the crowd noise, things should turn out well..

I don’t think this one will really be that close. I had to write something . . .

I still think Baalke has more say about who we get than Harbaugh. That’s his job and he has a whole staff who get paid to do the dirty work.. Seattle has had some really good drafts and they now have team chemistry that is pretty tight. I believe that Carroll is the reason they did not beat Altanta last week.

I think Nolan is the reason they almost lost . . .

Right, Grump. I figured they’d want some kind of vet presence at QB, but it isn’t imperative. The pecking order would be Kappy, Tolzein, and some grade 3 guy to come in if Scotty screws the pooch. You could still stash a 4th guy 6th round flier on the PS.

Smith is trade bait at this point. Tolzein gets a couple years to develop. If he’s great, great. Get what you can in a couple years. If he’s decent, hold on to him as long as possible as a backup.

I had the Niners picking Kappy in our mock draft last year.

I certainly didn’t have AJ Jenkins, though.

• phil fan says:

The Niners scout that recommended him was promptly released “to pursue opportunities elsewhere” on the first day the Niners had the chance…forget his name. Not a ringing endorsement of the scout seems to be…

Well, i remember Harbaugh and Baalke both were thrilled that they were able to get Jenkins.

It was a curious pick, and I wonder just what he’ll do next year. I mean really. If he can’t bump Ginn how good is he? I get that he’s fast, but . . .

• Grumpy Guy says:

It’s all up to him. Right now, his biggest problem is he is not strong enough to consistently beat the jam against a starting quality NFL CB. That can probably be fixed in the weight room, IF he will put in the work. The drops and confusion are rookie jitters; those don’t worry me excessively. But it remains to be seen how hard he will work in the off-season. If he does, I still think he’ll have a good career. If not, he’ll be another Rashaun Woods. The one ‘measurable’ you never have on draft day is the size of their heart. Some guys just want it more than others.

• Spitblood says:

Considering that Jenkins and Kaep were joking around on the sidelines after the GB game, I think Jenkins has bought in. Then it’s just a matter if he can actually get off the jam – weight room or no weight room. My guess is Jenkins will get better with time. Randel, Sanu and Jeffrey would have helped us more this year. Hopefully, Jenkins will eventually have similar if not more productive careers.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

If you want to review the draft and have the do over the guy you draft at WR is T Y Hilton

• Spitblood says:

Yeah, but I didn’t know about HIlton pre-draft. Pre-draft I knew about Jeffrey, Sanu and Randel and they all had more productive first years than Jenkins.

24. Internet sketchy so here’s an abbreviated update of our guessing game fer the weekend. Hopefully the web is available at 4am Monday fer the Falcs/Niners…Who you gonna call? If I screwed this up I’ll fix it on the game day thread. Let me know.

Grumpy Guy: Ravens 35, Patriots 31. 49ers 38, Falcons 21.

Nipper: Balt. SF

barleyfreak: SF

Phil SF 35-17. Balt

Chuck: SF. NE

Snarkk: SF

Winder: 41 -34 Niners. Ravens 23 -21

Flavor: Niners 42-10. Baltimore 34-31

Spitblood: Niners 45-17. NE

12th man: Niners. Balt

Irish Kevin: Niners

shaman138: Bradys over Ravens 35-21…Niners over the vultures 21-17.

Alleykat: Niners

Chico: Niners

Gentlemen Let’s whup da doity boids

25. Grumpy Guy says:

NJ posted this at Skeebers. If you read only one thing about Kappy this year, this should be it. Absolutely no shit. This kid is an awesome human being and is going to be a monster in this league. Canton, save him a space. I think you’ll be needing it.

26. Grumpy Guy says:

Chuck, one of my posts might be stuck in your spam filter. The article I linked to, posted by NJ at Skeebers’ blog, is worth reading.

I’m going HarBowl:
    SF 31-20
    Balt 27-24

28. barleyfreak says:

“…and can’t speak English.. or speak in general…”

When you’re on, you’re on.

Came across another good read to share –

30. barleyfreak says:

“If he can’t bump Ginn how good is he? ”

I know Spit isn’t worried about Jenkins, but for this reason, I still am. 17 weeks into the season to be targeted? For a first rounder? Really? Dropped passes, rookie jitters, that’s a given with few exceptions, but I haven’t seen any diddly squat being given out.

And +1 on the 1st round going to the DL. That we don’t substitute much at all compared to other DLs is actually a weakness. We need depth there. We need fresh legs there. We have neither. We’ll garner a Super Bowl this year (holding fast and true), possibly by the hair on our chinny chin chin, but we need to address it in the off season.

31. barleyfreak says:

Just doing some late night duty finding memorable quotes. This from ESPN’s Rick Reilly, speaking about Kaep:

“This kid has a chance to be better than Steve Young, and I don’t say that just to annoy Steve Young, though it’s fun.”

Barley see if you can locate the media genius from the Falcon Presser this afternoon that asked HC Mike Smith, what plans he might have to stop ‘Copernicus’ on Sunday.

No joke intended, he actually didn’t get Colins’ name correct.

Way to prepare there Nut Job.

Hey NJ49er, glad to have the link(s), thanks.

I think Kaepernick has been called Copernicus for the humorous effect and from folks just not caring if they get it right. I’ve seen it here and there on the interwebs for a while, probably since he took the starting job. I see “Kaepernicking” is all over the web now. They’ll get it right pretty soon.

btw, have you tried hitting Ctrl + F5 to force your browser to reload a new page instead of loading from your cache, or just clearing your temp files and browser cache, when you have a problem posting here?

NoFear49er it’s a network thing for me.
      They literally Block the site.
      Typically it’s content driven as Corp rules go. Ala no porn etc.
      Not sure why this is blacklisted since I have no issues with other sites
      such as Skeebs.

As for the Kaep/Copernicus nonsense, this media individual at the presser literally got Mike Smith to squint a little as to ‘what the hell are you talking about?’.
      I kinda hoped Coach was gonna call him on it but he let it slide.

They can call him anything they want.
      Just hoping he shocks the Falcons and gets the chance to land us
      Lombardi #6.

• NoFear49er says:

NJ49er, I thought when you said “Network Gods” you were referring to the mystical and unknown controllers of the ether not merely paranoid sys admins. I can see how this site may have trouble from time to time lighting up a language trap in a disallowed site firewall.

Precisely NoFear49er.
        But typically, (from what I’ve heard), it’s content/subject driven?
        Not sure if the way it’s registered raises the firewall flags or not?

Since this is considered social media we have flags on such sites as
        Facebook for example.
        Just can’t determine what makes this site any different than Skeebs’ in terms of
        the red flag.

If this is considered a sports/social media site vs a sports/wagering site,
        I could see the flag, since we are blocked from betting/wagering etc.
        It’s beyond my scope since I’m not a Network Admin.

But like tonight, I click, I get through.
        Who fricken knows?

Hey?
        Who knows?
        Maybe they lifted a restriction tonight?
        See how it plays out as time rolls on.

If my ID shows up on some IP Restricted List I can ask some questions.
        Hopefully not while I’m being escorted out of the building.

• NoFear49er says:

NJ49er, content filtering is usually accomplished through a weighted word evaluation of some type. Since this site apparently isn’t on a blacklist for your firewall (you’d never get through) I’m thinking it’s evaluated when the page is requested. Not much can be done from your end if it exceeds the threshold value.

There are ways to get around some web surfing filters but your admins would probably take a dim view of such attempts I’m guessing. I could write a post with a slew of words sure to light up your filter and see if you get locked out. (Just kidding there) I’m guessing the difference between Chuck’s and Skeebers’ sites is Skeebers’ language filter.

Sounds reasonable to me NoFear49er

So the question that would immediately come to my mind is, can Chuck Admin
      that filter or, does WordPress control it?

Be great to have the story of Kaep and his phenomenal journey to the big stage told for the SB Lead In weeks.
    Amazing stuff.

Sammy the Tortoise and the Big Easy.
    Let’s get it done on Sunday!

I have a player to look for at the East/West Shrine Game this weekend.

UNC WR Erik Highsmith.
    6’3″190, being noticed for ‘Excellent Snatch Catch Ability’.

Probably the most impressive part of Crabtrees’ game, his ability to snatch and go.
    Need those hands with Kaep pulling the trigger.
    Slotted as a Late Rd/FA at this point.

I can ban words and such, but I choose not to. What is curious to me is the fact that it isn’t all or nothing, You DO get through sometimes. That would lead me to believe its not a word filtering thing. Unless we haven’t dropped F-bombs lately?

Jags sign a Seahawk coordinator. Great news for the 49ers. Not only do we not lose Roman to the Jags, but the move also weakens the Seahawks.

Fuck that . . . But it’s good to see you over here NJ.

Now see if you are banned.

39. twinfan1 says:

Tolzein got the 3 job because he was a better scout or “look” QB than Johnson. That’s his niche. They’ll need a legit 2.

• Spitblood says:

Again…. not true at all. Tolzien got the job because Harbaugh didn’t want to lose him to another team in the NFL because Harbaugh thinks Tolzien could a star – or at least a very good NFL qb. The NFL knows what JJ is. They don’t know what Tolzien will be. Much like you didn’t know what Kaep would become….

• twinfan1 says:

No, as Matt Barrows wrote on the SacBee when the cuts were made, it was for the exact reason I stated.

Welcome back Twin.

• Spitblood says:

Well, then we’ll just have to wait and see who’s right. I think both Jenkins and Tolzien will prove to be good pros.

• twinfan1 says:

Thank you, 12. I’m not here to argue about Kap/Smith. I fully expect Kap to finish the job Alex started. I’ve called 24-20 Sunday and 17-16 over the Ravens to win the SB. I’m sorry I’m not calling 56-0 in both games, I just see them as close. I did think the Pack game would be close, too, although I did call for a Niner victory. I root for them, I always thought Kap was a great talent, there will never be anyway to show either way how they would have fared with Smith, I’m delighted to see he’ll be getting the Muni tracks off his back, and have nothing more to say on the QB shit. And I don’t expect to get shit about it from the usuals. If that happens, I’d hope that Chiuck handles them as a blog moderator should. I’m sure he will. Hello, my friend-now let’s get it on-anybody having a problem if C.J. is my new main man 😉

I agree about Tolzein, he looks like possible starting material to me. Not sure what you base your opinion of Jenkins on, he did a little bit in pre-season but hasn’t been able to get on the field and when he has it was nondescript so I have no real opinion about Jenkins yet.

Twin, I enjoy reading your stuff more than most even we don’t see eye to eye on i., Your takes are usually interesting and sometimes an angle I hadn’t thought of. I hope you don’t take our differences of opinion as personal, I certainly didn’t intend that. Just enjoyed the banter.

• twinfan1 says:

Spit, I’ll be happy enough to dance in a Broadway musical if you are correct. I’ve read some of your recent comments, and I’ve found many to be quite informative and interesting. Wrong, but interesting 😉

Twin, I agree that SF and BR are the likely SB teams and that both games to get there will be close by the way and I never have doubted your SF fan credentials.

• twinfan1 says:

Others have but I’m not going into that anymore, either. Th accusation is absurd. Funny thing yesterday-I accidentally discovered that I could post new threads here. If anyone needs further proof of what a fine wondeful generous man and dog owner I am…I alerted Chuck to the situation instead of putting up the new and exciting thread: “Alex Smith: the Man, the Legend.Profile in Courage 😉
        (I definitely need to make use of the winking man)

Would have been funnier to just do the thread.

• twinfan1 says:

Uh, I don’t think so. But don’t encourage me.

I thought it was funny Nolan called Greg Roman Greg Norman, he might be eating that slight for quite a while on Sunday.

When I called Manti Te’o’s girlfriend, she answered, “Vandelay Industries.”

I’ve always wondered how much preparation teams put into their “future” opponents in the playoffs. I wonder if Belicheat is haviing his guys collect information about SF right now. What is the “Quality Control,” role in an organization? Wouldn’t that part of the organization be research? I don’t buy it when teams say, “We’re not looking ahead. We’re focused on the Ravens.” If I held the keys to the castle, I’d have the CIA working for me – researching, waterboarding, lying….. you know, CIA stuff.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Bellichick keeps picking up fired coaches and adding them to his staff during the playoffs.
      This year it’s Brian Daboll and last year it was McDaniels. They must be up to no good.

43. twinfan1 says:

The Mumbler probably as a terabyte of video on the Niners, 1.1 MB on the Falcons.

44. twinfan1 says:

I think he’ll have other concerns on Superbowl Sunday. Where he’s going to lunch, where he’ll watch the game…

• Spitblood says:

Typical…. you picking Joe Flacco and an old Ravens team on the road against a young Patriots’ linebacking corp and Tom Brady at home.

• twinfan1 says:

There’s no need to begin insulting again

• twinfan1 says:

Or insult 12th. He’s picking the Ravens as well.

• Spitblood says:

Something’s a miss. What’s insulting about telling someone who’s consistently wrong that it’s “typical” they’re once again wrong about the Ravens / Patriots game? I don’t understand where you get an insult from. I mean, if you saw a guy punch someone else and said, “That dude there just punched that dude over there,” then where’s the insult? All you’re doing is just recounting he past. Let’s not shoot the messenger here, Twin.

• twinfan1 says:

Chuckles, try to control Spit.
        If this guy is going to start again, you miight as well blow up your blog now. Handle him before it get’s out of hand.Please.

Picked em against a young linebacking corp and Manning in Denver too!

Yeah, I think it’s about time for NE to go down. No other reason than the Ravens were close last year and they are playing better.

Both home teams lose? Yup. . . .

It takes a good D to stop NE and I think Balt has the ability to stop Brady. However, if brady is really on then it’s lights out for good ole brother Harbaugh.

48. twinfan1 says:

Well, Brady is a far better postseason QB than Manning but Flacco had a big game against a far better pass defense in Denver. I’m going with same score as the 24-20 Niners. 24-20 Baltimore

• Spitblood says:

The problem with the Denver secondary in the Ravens game was that their scheme was all about leaving Champ Bailey on an island, without help over the top. When Torrey Smith was beating Champ Bailey like a rented red headed mule, Jack Del Rio simply didn’t know what to do and he couldn’t act when it was obvious Bailey needed help over the top. Then, when he finally acted, Ray Rice broke loose. Bill Belicheat isn’t going to have this same problem. Belicheat will, can and has shut down both Rice and Torrey Smith at the same time. The Denver defense couldn’t do both. If the Ravens win it’ll be because Dennis Pita has a big game and the Patriots couldn’t stop Ray Rice with 7 in the box. I doubt it’ll be because of the Ravens’ wide receivers.

• twinfan1 says:

The Mumbler’s defense is horrendo against the pass. Flacco destroyed it this year.Rice and Smith had huge games. Maybe you mean “maybe he learned something”.
      Shit ,the Mumbler turned Fitzpatrick into Jim Kelly.

Truth is there are no “locks” to win now, regardless of Spits confidence, these are the best 4 teams left standing.
    I think both games will be 1 score affairs. Of course thats just my 2 cents which are probably worth less than that.
    Looking forward to seeing it play out and the Niners going to the SB, how cool is that?

50. twinfan1 says:

Flacco, Rice, and Smith whupped that pussy Mumbler. defense, rode ’em hard, and put ’em to bed wet.

51. twinfan1 says:

Look, in the interest of showing my goodwill, here’s one of those stupid but funny Hitler videos where “Dolph” goes postal. Here he learns of ASmith’s demotion.

THe point being, Spitty, that NE has given up some huge games in the air. It could very well happen again.

• twinfan1 says:

Fitzpatrick threw for about 700 in two games, Flacco 380, Manning 337, Wilson 293, Luck 334, Mark Fucking Sanchez 301, Schaub 343
      Flacco over 300 in NE in the playoffs last year,

The Ravens have given Belichick and Brady fits but I think they get it figured out at home and advance to become the team against which we earn number six. NE 27-24

Now that we’ve got Copernicus the stars will align for us again. Niners 34-24.

• Spitblood says:

I saw an interview a long time ago with Derek Jeter. He was talking about the World Series and Jeter was asked about being clutch and playing in nail biter World Series games. Jeter said, “I’m never really worried, even when we’re down. I just tell the guys, ‘Wait until the ghosts come out.'” Jeter was referring to the mystique of playing against the Yankees in the World Series, and how the ghosts or Yankee tradition make other players on opposing teams play tight or make crucial mistakes. And let’s remember last year….. Last year Flacco did complete a game winning touchdown with seconds left in the game to take the Ravens to the Super Bowl but the receiver got lazy with securing the ball and the defender stripped the ball away. That’s ghost number one – not being mindful enough to completely secure the catch in what might prove to be the most important play of John Harbaugh’s career (especially with the team getting older). Ghost number two was Cundiff missing his field goal.

I understand that the Ravens match up well with the Patriots and know how to play the Patriots close. But until the Ravens can beat the Patriots in Foxborough in the AFC Championship game, I’m confident the ghosts will come out once again and secure a win for the Patriots. The funny thing is some of those ghosts actually play in the Patriots’ secondary – and those chumps can’t tackle.

New thread is up . . .