The Bro Bowl

Jim Harbaugh, John HarbaughLast year, both the Jims and the Johns were denied entrance to the Super Bowl. Jim on a couple botched punt returns, and John on a late TD that was knocked out of the WRs hands, and the inimitable Billy (wrong way) Cundiff’s missed chip shot to send the game into overtime. This year both have made it to the doorstep once again. In fact 3 of the 4 teams in these conference champioinship games are the same. Only the Atlantas have crashed the party.

I’m of the mind that Atlanta won their super bowl last week. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat by parlaying a 31 yard punt return into a couple 25 yard passes to get into field goal range with 31 ticks left on the clock. Natty Ice WAS pretty natty on those 2 clutch passes, and Seattle even played it right by blitzing both plays.  Still and all, I don’t think Atlanta is all that spectacular. Ryan was uneven at best last week, but he did hit big plays down field. Their run game, while decent, isn’t going to get too much against the Niners, now that Justin Smith, who was in 98% of the plays last week, is back in the saddle. He says he feels better, and didn’t suffer any setbacks with his injured arm. I think the Niners will rattle Natty more than the job they did against Rodgers last week. No running for Atlanta, and slowing their passing game equals short Atlanta drives.

Atlanta on the other hand offers a much different look defensively than the Packers. The Pack plays a lot of man-to-man. So this opened up the running lanes for Kaepernick when he couldn’t find a WR to throw to.  Atlanta also did well to keep Russell Wilson fairly contained from breaking off any big runs. Stll and all, during crunch time, Seattle ran the ball tough, and Wilson made the throws to get Seattle ahead with little time left. Matty made one terrible throw that was easily picked off and aided in the comeback. As I’ve said, i think the Niners come out running. I think Mike Nolan comes out with his nickel package to start the game. If he does, the Niners will run up the middle. Pound it with Gore, and get LMJ to the edge with some screens and a sweep or 2. Our O line is on a roll, and we have been running pretty well recently.

As far as the AFC game goes, I think Balt finally gets over the hump. Flacco had a good game against a tough Denver defense (even if Denver threw the game away late), while the Pats had a fairly easy time against the Houstons. Funny thing is, it would be pretty sweet to deny Tom Brady his 4th Super Bowl victory if the Niners beat them in the Super Bowl. If the team he grew up idolizing stopped him yet again in his attempt to tie Montana and Bradshaw for the Niners 6th Super Bowl title?

Epic. Then again, be careful what you wish for . . .

80 Responses to The Bro Bowl

Chuck – you totally missed it. Right now isn’t about, “The Bro Bowl.” Right now is all about how we are going to crush the Falcons. Who will the starts be? What will the score be? How are the 49ers going to match up with Julio and Roddy? Can one man tackle Micheal Turner? Or does he need to be gang banged?

People are bored at work thinking about this upcoming game and you give them, “The Bro Bowl?” Come on, dude. Pull the crazy train over for a minute and get your act together. You have a responsibility to all of us. This isn’t just the regular season. It’s the NFC Championship.

Nolan’s not coming out in the nickel if we come out with our 22 personnel. You see Walker and Miller and our inverted wishbone to begin the game you’ll know we are trying to get Gore going first.

Nolan, like any DC, will be looking at our tendencies in personnel packages, formations, field position, down and distance, etc. ‘Greg Norman’ has done a great job of mixing things up to make that more difficult. But our go to first down guy is Gore. I haven’t counted or anything, but I’d guess by a wide margin. Like our go to receiver is Crabtree.

The primary things a defense does to stop a great running attack is outside contain and gap control. The same things that will be needed to counter the threat of Kaep’s running. You’d normally want to force him out of the pocket to his wrong hand side but with Kaep you don’t want him running anywhere. And their best pressure guy has got a bad ankle.

Nolan’s biggest problem is basic. His big guys against our big guys. Advantage Niners. His DBs don’t hit and tackle like our DBs. Advantage Niners. Hard to scheme an advantage around that but it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

I hope the disruption of a traveling week doesn’t knock us off our game.

The Niners played last Saturday and thus had an extra day of prep. Don’t thnk the travel should affect them that much.

• Spitblood says:

I think Nolan will try to confuse Kaep with some crazy looks, but it doesn’t matter with a power run game. This game, at first, will have slow pace to it – at least I hope. I hope Kaep doesn’t get too excited, too fast. I hope Kaep is going into this game thinking, “I don’t care about my personal stats or highlights, I just want to do whatever it takes to win the game.” But throwing a pick 6 against the Packers is huge. Immediately bouncing back and overcoming the INT has got to make Kaep feel like a hundred dollars. But that doesn’t change the fact that this game will be slower paced in the beginning with methodical drives and patience required by Kaep and the Shark.

Well, I think we come out running regardless of defensive formation. Unless they see big nickel. Harbaugh wants to establish Gore early this game.

Huh? The Big Nickel is designed to stop the pass. That’s when you want to try and run. Have you been dipping into your liquor cabinet early, Chuck? I’m off to the store now to replenish mine. Heads up: good chance I’m going to be an even bigger horse’s ass than usual from now until game time. Hell. I might even contract leukemia and get into a car accident and die before kickoff.

• Winder says:

Don’t do that dennis just think how much you will miss.

Hey, I’m a little scrambled today. Sicker than a dog last couple days. The point being the Niners are going to run even if Noplan loads the box. He wants to imposse our O line on their D line to then open up the passing game.

With Gore, LMJ, and Kappy back there the Boids will have their hands full. I guess I,m the only one but I think Moss will really get involved in this game. If Nolan plays that “bend but don’t break” defense i think we take this game. The way our O-line played against GB is enough to put the fear into em.

Love the fact that Eddie D, Bryant Young, and Haley will be honorary Captains during the coin toss. Advantage: US

6. NFC/AFC Championship Games Scoring Challenge. Who you gonna call? 48 hours to kickoff

Chuck: 31-17 Niners. If Teflon Mike comes out loading up the box, then it’s time to get VD involved. As well as Moss. Take some deep shots, and give Crabs his opportunities. I think the Niners can grind down Atlanta much as they ground down the Packers. I also like last week’s call. 31-17 Niners.

NE

Grumpy Guy: 49ers 38, Falcons 21. Nolan will also expect a lot of Gore up the middle. So use LMJ on the edges to loosen that shit up. If they give Moss the big cushion, throw short outs to the first down marker until they stop. Make the safety deep choose: cover Crabs on the deep fly, or VD on the post. Heads I win, tails you lose. The Offensive line needs to manhandle their D-line the way did to the Packers. Take them out of their game, get a lead, silence the crowd.

Ravens 35, Patriots 31.

Nipper: Balt. SF. Niners will beat them good. Atlanta will be begging for mercy.

barleyfreak: SF. The “L” in the WWL pattern has always followed a prime time ass kicking. I think patterns like this and “jinxes” etc, are streaks waiting to be broken. Nothing lasts forever. I do think the Niners play better playing the “no respect” card — but a lot of teams have trouble with success. In this NFCCG, their hunger and talent will break this streak. But I still see it close. When can I start drinking?

Phil SF 35-17, Balt

Snarkk: SF I’m going HarBowl: SF 31-20. Balt 27-24. Can Atlanta win this game? Sure they can. I’m not convinced this is a cakewalk. But, if the Niners throttle their running game, the Niners should be able to handle and plan for their passing game, which is the only thing they have going. I figure Atlanta has to get at least two turnovers from the Niners, with one leading directly to a TD, or a special teams TD, to be in this thing, and that won’t even guarantee a win. I’m looking for LMJ to have a standout game on turf. If Niners get a lead early and shut down the crowd noise, things should turn out well..

Winder: 41 -34 Niners. Ravens 23 -21. It takes a good D to stop NE and I think Balt has the ability to stop Brady. However, if brady is really on then it’s lights out for good ole brother Harbaugh.

Flavor: Niners 42-10. Baltimore 34-31

Spitblood: Niners 45-17.
    NE: The problem with the Denver secondary in the Ravens game was that their scheme was all about leaving Champ Bailey on an island, without help over the top. When Torrey Smith was beating Champ Bailey like a rented red headed mule, Jack Del Rio simply didn’t know what to do and he couldn’t act when it was obvious Bailey needed help over the top. Then, when he finally acted, Ray Rice broke loose. Bill Belicheat isn’t going to have this same problem. Belicheat will, can and has shut down both Rice and Torrey Smith at the same time. The Denver defense couldn’t do both.

12th man: Niners. Balt

shaman138: Niners over the vultures 21-17. So here’s hoping the jinx is broken on Sunday…I think they’ll do it. ATL is an average, over-rated team and Matty Ice loves to pull a Carson Palmer in big games and throw INTs at exactly the wrong time. Besides, I would LOVE to see a Harbowl SB–that would be fun. Bradys over Ravens 35-21…

Alleykat: Niners

Chico: Niners

NJ49er: 9ers 27-10. 9ers get #6. Bro Bowl -RayRay gives way to Patrick as the Best ILB wearing the 52 Jersey. Barley see if you can locate the media genius from the Falcon Presser this afternoon that asked HC Mike Smith, what plans he might have to stop ‘Copernicus’ on Sunday. No joke intended, he actually didn’t get Colins’ name correct. Way to prepare there Nut Job.

Ravens 37-34

twinfan1: 24-20 Niners. 24-20 Baltimore. Brady is a far better postseason QB than Manning but Flacco had a big game against a far better pass defense in Denver.

NoFear49ers: Niners 34-24. Now that we’ve got Copernicus the stars will align for us again.
    The Ravens have given Belichick and Brady fits but I think they get it figured out at home and advance to become the team against which we earn number six. NE 27-24

Del Mar: (quote from pre-season): Ask and you shall receive…Anything else? How to split the atom? How to commit the perfect crime? The meaning of life? I got all the fucking answers..
    (Phil): How bout some some perdictions fer us fella??

Gentlemen Let’s whup da doity boids

• Spitblood says:

Patriots win 30-24 with the Ravens scoring a last minute irrelevant touchdown to make the game appear closer than it really was.

Phil, I do remember giving that answer, but can’t remember exactly what the question was. Matters not. I do have all the fucking answers. Just like when Tennessee Tuxedo would tell Chumley, “Let’s go see Mr. Whoopee. He’s the man with all the answers.” One of the voices on that show was a guy named Kenny Delmar. Delmar was best known for inventing the character Senator Beauregard Claghorn which was the inspiration for the more famous character, Foghorn Leghorn. Pay attention son, I’m talking to ya.

Phil, I have Balt beating NE 28-24.

Yeah, BY is one of my all-time favorite players. Gonna be great to see him out there.

BY was one of the few reasons the team remained respectable, heck of a player and man. Glad to see the team recognize him.

Cundiff got the boot.

10. barleyfreak says:

Hey Phil — first off — thanks for pulling together and consolidating the ramblings of us disparate loonies into the same huddle. Below is my Carnac moment posted a couple days back with actual scores attached, for the record, and the potential of eternal glory if I’m right (eternal = ~ 2 days).

“I agree that against zone coverage Kap struggles. Why Capers went there is a mystery. Nolan won’t. But in the end ATL’s defensive line is not that great. Mediocre against the run, mediocre against the pass, 5th last in sacks — our OL should dominate them.Despite all that, it is a road game, following an emotional electric game against GB. I think the game will be closer than it should, 31-23, Niners. My gut tells me the Ravens will beat NE, setting up the Harbowl. But that would mean that BOTH road teams advance in the same year in the Championship games. That seems hard to believe. So I’ll go with the Ravens as the bridesmaid once again, and call it NE over BAL, 35-31.”

I think it’s pretty clear to whom I’m leaning towards this weekend. After all, my preseason prediction had the future POTUS and his Pats winning the SB.

Just a few gambling notes. Which of course, are for entertainment purposes only…Niners are the biggest road favorite in a CG since ’78 (DAL – 3.5 @ RAMS. 28-0 Boys). I truly think the -4.5 line is inflated. SEA, who were getting 2.5 pts. last week would only be a 3 pt. dog if they were playing @ SF this week and a pick ’em game on a neutral field. ATL going from -2.5 to +4.5 is a HUGE 7 pt. swing based on their near collapse and our dominant win > GB. Who, by the way, played right into our hands by playing man-to-man D. (Thank you, Dom). We won’t be seeing much, if any, of that Sunday. Nolan loves to play zone. And that means lots of < yds rushing for Kap. His O/U for rushing yds. is 62.5. That's looking UNDER to me. But I LOVE the OVER on VD's yds. at 39.5 Vernon scoring a TD will also getcha +325. And for those of you picking against the future POTUS, and rooting for a guy who beat a double murder rap can get 3/1 on your money. May you and Ray Lewis all rot in hell. Go Gisele!

13. Alleykat says:

Doing a great job Phil,getting these picks together for a bunch of drunken derelicts…
    But now it’s time for Kat’s Stone Cold Locks!!! (7-1) so far…lookin good Lewis,feeling good Billy Ray..
    Niners 34 Atlanta 20…
    It’s all about #7 “THE TURLOCK TORNADO”
    Freakin pussy Mike Nolan and their lame ass coach Mike Smith, won’t know what hit em,after the Twister of the 49ers Offense and Defense unleash their fury upon these losers,and their crap ass stadium and Tomahawk Chop (oh wrong sport)wannabe fans…

New England 31 Baltimore 24
    Only Joe that wins Super Bowls (4 of them beautiful diamonds a plenty rings) is the “Greatest Of all ” JOE MONTANA”…And Flacco is no Joe and never will be.
    On the other hand..Tom Brady is like Joe Montana,thrives in the big games (3-2) Super Bowls,not as great as Joe of course 4-0 and never threw a pick in all 4, but if Brady gets to another SB,it still one hell of an achievement,to play in 6, to bad he won’t get that 4th ring(not really) cause the 49ers will kick his ass.
    Ravens are just an old team,playing another road game,no chance Bellichick and Brady let these old geezers win in their house!

Did you guys just hear the latest? Crabtree is being investigated by the SFPD for sexual assault. Allegedly…Just WTF we needed before the Big Game.

• twinfan1 says:

The assault is alleged. The investigation is real. And quite a shock, I might add.
      “Just WTF we needed before the Big Game.” And if true, quite the bummer for the victim. I’m sure it’s not true, though. Michael doesn’t seem like the type to assault a woman.

Hopefully the sexual assault was perpetrated against Te’o’s girlfriend. That’s only a make (B)elieve felony.

16. Alleykat says:

This Crabtree “Alleged” assault charge,will probably end up just like Pablo Sandoval’s, no “hard evidence”

I hear Manti Te’o wants to start a new fantasy football league. It’s a bit different than the ones you are used to . . .

18. Alleykat says:

Manti Teo’s girlfriend was the Mayan’s Calender”Playmate of the Year”

Honestly Crabtree – I get that you were out partying after the win against the Packers but damn dude. Keep it in your shorts until after the Super Bowl. We need a dude who polices this team. Think about it – Aldon Smith has a DUI and stabbing. Crabtree now with sexual assault. Ray McDonald drives 100 mph while drinking. Dobbs is a mess. WTF? Where are the leaders on this team to put these young guys in check. Patrick? Willis needs to start coming down hard on guys. I don’t see Patrick as the type to come down hard on anyone in the locker. The minute he starts caring about his legacy enough Willis will. But until then someone outside the coaching staff needs come down hard on guys. This is bullshit. They need a players only meeting.

20. Alleykat says:

Brent Musburger still thinks Teo’s girlfriend is hot though!

21. twinfan1 says:

University of Notre Dame administrators showed greater concern to the news that Manti Te’o’s girlfriend and her death were a hoax than when they learned a real student committed suicide 10 days after accusing a university football player of sexually assaulting her…

University of Notre Dame Nittany Lions.

• Alleykat says:

Hey Dennis,
      How do you get a nun pregnant?
      Dress her up as an Alter Boy..

Q: What’s the difference between a rabbi and a priest?
        A: A rabbi cuts them off; A priest sucks them off.

• Alleykat says:

Q: What’s the difference between a Catholic Priest and a zit?
        A: Atleast a zit waits until you’re a teenager before it cums on your face.

Right, Twin, I heard about that and how Notre Dame is trying to deny everything and sweep it all under the rug. I think there was an SI article on that a few weeks ago.

I think the Jesuits did a better job of policing the activities of their students when they killed the basketball program back in the 70s because of the rape charges and other transgressions.

rape?

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Your have your facts wrong. Notre Dame is not a Jesuit school.
      They are under Congregation of the Holy Cross. Not Jesuits.

• twinfan1 says:

I believe he’s referring to USF, a Jesuit school, shutting down the basketball program-actually in 1982. The ” final straw” after a series of problems with the program, was when Quintin Dailey was accused of rape by a female student. The university’s president, John LoSchiavo shut down the program in July, 1982. Dailey died in 2010 at the age of 49 of hypertensive cardiovascular disease.

Ralph Barbieri still curses Fr. LoSchiavo’s name till this day. Then orders some Amici’s pizza. Then continues to sue KNBR for wrongful termination. Then tells another story about his Mazda Miata. Then I continue to bang my head against the wall again. And again. And again. And once more for good measure.

24. twinfan1 says:

“He loves the boys in the choir,
    They keep their souls pure.
    But the tenor worries him…
    So he must be the closest to him.
    On his nightstand, quiet and wordless,
    A picture of the Lord…
    He slowly turns it around.
    When the church clock strikes twice,
    He folds his hands for prayer.
    He has remained without a wife,
    So he must love his neighbour.”

gross

• twinfan1 says:

Creepy, for sure. “Gross” are JOKES about pedophiles.Or about disturbed young men like Manti..

• twinfan1 says:

You see, pedophiles *are* creepy, there’s nothing funny about them. Well, not to most people.

• twinfan1 says:

The poem was from the Urban Dictionary in their “priest” definitions.
        “A profession that has come to be associated with acts of sodomy and depravity towards children, as evidenced by the overwhelming spread of child molestation crimes among the Catholic church….the remaining population of clergy members who’re actually upright, honest and chaste (and find butt-fucking little boys at the altar as equally repugnant as any sensible human being would), are often overlooked in light of the ***depraved shits who’ve destroyed the church’s image simply because they couldn’t handle a demanding life of celibacy and control their own sick desires at once.”
        (I’ve removed references to sexual orientation, as pedophilia is not a *gay* “disease”.

25. IH1972 says:

When a dude with the coin Crabtree has gets horny, he needs to buy a high class expensive hooker, get his nut, and then pay her to go away.

An interesting piece on Kap, at least I thought so.

Maybe he did and he pissed her off. Golddiggers probably don’t throw good chances away. Or, maybe he’s just like a lot of people and takes what he wants. Hopefully, it will be like the Sandoval situation like Alleykat said earlier.
    I gotta admit, I haven’t really checked out Atlanta all year, I know they have some good WR’s and Turner can be a monster but I never really thought Ryan was all that good. I do like the fact that Nolan is the DC and I think we can use that knowledge better agaist them that Nolan can use against us. I don’t think this is gonna be a cakewalk at all.

Damn. Earl Weaver and Stan Musial on the same day. I hope Yogi, and I’m paraphrasing, goes to their funerals or they won’t go to his.

RIP

Sando from NFC West ESPN on what SF learned from da Boids defense of SEA: Atl took away read option run from Wilson and focused on shutting down Lynch. Atl gave Wilson 358 yards passing = much to da TE Z Miller. So maybe VD and DW get a lot of work sez Sando here:

YEah, shoulda been clear. I was refferring to how USF handled their problems.

Well last weeks prediction was a total disaster!! So I know Jack about football!! Ran a football pool several years ago, talked a woman into playing, she picked her wins by the color of the teams uniform she liked, natch she won!! So with that said I will go with the red and gold 38 and the other team 21, then I will go with the red, white and blue 31 and the black birds 17. Dennis is it to early to start drinking at 10:00 AM during the pre game show?? Or do you just go with it is 5:00 o’clock somewhere?? Just wondering

32. Alleykat says:

If your truly Irish like me Kevin,there’s no wrong hour for drinking! Cheers!!!!

I gotta say the whole Micheal Crabtree thing is really ruining my pre game buzz. Maybe I shouldn’t let it. Hopefully it’s just a gold digger looking for either money or notoriety. Crabtree doesn’t appear to be the Mike Tyson type, but you never know. The bigger issue is it could have become a distraction in the locker room all week long. The best part of Walsh teams were they were fanatical. Each guy would run through walls to win a championship. Remember when Deion Sanders left for the Cowboys because he thought Rice was too uptight? I know Sanders didn’t play under Walsh, but the standard was still there long after Walsh left. As a fan, I enjoy the uptight warrior who can only think of one thing – Super Bowl rings. It appears, even if the 49ers win the Super Bowl, they aren’t at a place as a team that puts Super Bowls ahead of everything else. If the 49ers want to be a dynasty, they need to find Super Bowl fanatics that insure stuff like this doesn’t happen for the next ten years.

Well, getting one is a start. Willis, Gore, Bowman, Justin, VD, Boone, Staely, and a few others have the huevos to keep this rolling. The Jury’s out on Kappy, but, for a young player he looks pretty focussed and not overwhelmed by the extraneous bullshit.

I think J Smith should roll right into coaching after he hangs up his spikes.