On to the NFC Championship Game!

D-tix

Once again, the San Francisco 49ers are on their way to the NFC Championship game. The difference being, the 49ers have to go on the road to reach the Super Bowl. Playoff history be damned (their playoff road record barely counts, as it is ancient history), but their last playoff trip to Atlanta was an unmitigated disaster as Garrison Hearst tore his ankle to shreds on the very first play, and the Niners never recovered, losing 20-18. This was Steve Young’s final full season with the Niners, and the Niners last best chance for a Super Bowl win. The Mooch/Garcia teams were never quite as good, and thus began the dark ages. Atlanta of course crapped themselves after beating the Niners, and John Elway trounced the turdy birds in that Super Bowl.

Flash forward to now. Is anyone really worried about Natty Ice and the Falcons? I’m not. After watching that game yesterday, I’m not too worried. Seattle spent the 1st half shooting themselves in their feet, and playing like they’ve been flying back and forth across the country numerous times for the last couple weeks.  Atlanta grudginly took advantage of Seattle’s lethargy, and struck for some big plays, and did some decent running to back that up. Cue up the 2nd half, and Teflon Mike Nolan decided to go into his own special version of the soft shell deeeep dish pizza coverage that us Niners fans know and love so well. The old bend and bend over defense. After Dominating the game for 3 quarters, and not quite running away, it took Seattle all of 8 minutes to overcome a 27-7 lead and take a lead of their own. Funny thing is, Seattle did exactly what Nolan did in the 4th quarter, and that is drop the safeties deeeep, and give up the underneath sideline route that they are implicitly defending. Oooops. a 30 yard KO return, a 22 yard sideline pass, and a 18 yard pass to Tony Gonzalez led to Matt Bryant’s  game-winning FG. Of course Bryant then followed that with the worst squib kick in the history of squib kicks. Sea then threw a stupid 8 yard pass that should have gone for 20 to give their kicker a shot, but instead set up the desparation pass into the end zone that Julio Jones picked off.

So, does anyone think the Niners change things up from last week? I think so. Teflon Mike just might be shitting his drawers over what to do about Kappy and his running ability, so I think the Niners may go away from that aspect of his game. Or not. Few of those runs were scripted, but a design of something I mentioined before the game, and that is to send the pass-catchers deeper than usual to open things up underneath. When Kappy saw long green in front of him, he decisively took off. And he also did NOT take the hits that guys like RG III were taking all year. Mainly because he either got OB or scored. He did miss some pases early, took a retarded taunting penalty, and the pick 6, but all in all, a game for the ages. Watching Kappy on speed turf is a bit intriguing, as Kappy on the Candlestick mush proved to be like watching Usain Bolt racing 6th graders.

So, on to the Cracker dome. The beauty thing about this game is, the Atlanta fans are waiting for the axe to fall. Yesterday WAS their Super Bowl, and Natty Dreadful showed he can win a playoff game with immense help from the other team. Next weekend? Not so much. I foresee a major crush job by the Niners.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

96 Responses to On to the NFC Championship Game!

Because Kaepernick was able to run so much against Packer man coverage, I think Roman and Harbaugh are right now anticipating Nolan going zone and our coaches are looking at putting together “zone packages,” for Kaepernick to throw against. Kaep will always be a running threat, but he can obviously throw the football. I look for Kaepernick to throw more against the Falcons – needing to be patient. Throwing against zones means a lot of 6-12 yard completed passes with little RAC for receivers. However, it also means more options for underneath routes. I could see LaMicheal James having a big day against the Falcons. But Kaep needs to be patient and not try to score quick touchdowns. It’s harder for a young qb who just hung a lot of points in the divisional round to now be patient on a bigger stage. Sure, if the Falcons go man coverage and the pocket collapses, Kaep should look to take off. The game within the game will now be how Kaep beats zone coverages and hoping that he can immediately identify when the Falcons have switched back to man.

John Clayton writes that Cam Newton killed the Falcons with his runs. Russell Wilson isn’t Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick. However, the Falcons have issues defending the read option regardless what defense they’re in. I see a lot of zone in the near future for Colin Kaeperinick. Here’s to hoping Harbaugh and Roman have Kaep prepared. They will, and the 49ers will win the Super Bowl.

Nice. Yeah, Kappy has struggled a lot more with zone coverage (a la the Rams) than he has with man coverage. Inexplicable that Capers of all people didn’t see what was coming. Actually I think the Niners may come out with the ground and pound to try and soften them up for the passing game. If the Niners can force more guys up closer to the line, then they can attack with play-action.

The real good thing to all this is the QB play in the NO game and how the Niners took the crowd out of it. They didn’t have too much problem dealing with the noise there, and the Atl fans are a bunch of pussies, so if we get on top early, they’ll be as quiet as church mice.

• shaman138 says:

I think we’re going to see a Pats/Niners re-match for the SB. I’m hoping for a Harbowl but the Ravens had their win in Denver handed to them on a John Fox silver platter and I don’t see them winning again in New England. The Doity Boidies are an average, over-rated team, but will be tougher than the Cheesefarts were. Nevertheless, SF pulls it off. Now, can they beat the Pats again? I honestly don’t think so, but we’ll see how Sunday’s games play out before I make any SB prediction.

Typical of Teflon Mike defenses, they give up a ton of yards. They did a decent enough job of red zone defense, so that is the area where we need to capitalize.

This was posted in the Sac Bee by Matt Barrows

To reach the Super Bowl this year, the 49ers will have to accomplish something they haven’t done since Bill Walsh roamed the sideline and Joe Montana threw passes to Jerry Rice – win a playoff game on an opponent’s field.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/14/5112403/49ers-must-end-playoff-road-woes.html#storylink=cpy

Yeah….. Nolan is looking hard at Rams / Niner film right now. I bet Belicheat is having someone (quality control) look at Niner / Rams film as well even though the Patriots are now playing the Ravens. But I think Harbaugh is smart enough not to show everything against a team like the Rams in the regular season. It’s almost as if Harbaugh was then saying, “We can beat the Rams with a limited playbook if we execute, so let’s not show how we are going to beat zone coverages in the playoffs.” I don’t think that’s too far fetched to assume. Harbaugh, Roman and Kaep are now focused on how to beat zone coverage. I can see Vernon and LaMichal having big days in Atlanta.

Atlanta is ranked in the 20s in both overall run and pass defense and John Abrahm is hurting. Lol. I think we beat Altanta by 21 pts. I think we’ll beat the Patriots by 21 pts as well.

Nolan’s D for the most part is adept and not giving up big plays, but does give up a bunch of little ones. Which means the underneath stuff SHOULD be open for VD. Which is why I think we come out running.

My hope is that Garrett Celek is getting a LOT of reps this week. Walker has proven to be the guy I thought he was when the season started. A lousy pass-catcher.

I’ve always been a bigger Harbaugh fan than most here. But I’ll admit that the change to the QB spot made no sense to me. I was all about Kap for next season but I thought it was super risky to make the switch in the middle of the season AND the fact that he was replacing a qb who was performing at a high level. And we were winning.
    And then I watched Kap struggle a little, especially v Seattle and my concern over this move grew. I posted several times questioning why Kap wasn’t running MORE. He was almost intentionally trying NOT to run which made no sense to me since it’s his obvious strength and if he gets hurt, so be it, we are one of the few teams in the league with an outstanding 2nd option.
    And then I watched the GB game and I was like, “Jim harbaugh is smarter than me.” If indeed this was the plan all along, to unveil heavy doses of the run option in the playoffs, and watch opposing defenses try helplessly to defend against it, then my hat is off to you JH. He mapped this shit out and despite opening himself up to massive second guessing he stuck with it and are in position now to destroy our next two opponents.
    Maybe defenses will figure out ways to stop this game plan next year but I don’t see them doing shit the next two games to stop it. There isn’t a quarterback on the planet that I’d rather have QB the final 2 games of the year for us……..

• Spitblood says:

Jim and his coaching staff are trying to do one thing, and one thing only: Win Super Bowls. Public perception, feelings and regular season wins be damned. The only thing I worry about is an injury to Kaep. He’s strong, and he handled the contact with the Packers well despite spiking the football in their face and drawing a penalty. But he needs to be more cautious. He needs to get out of bounds or slide feet first more frequently than he does. You can’t play the game of football scared, but you can play it smart. Get the heck outta bounds, and slide feet first unless it’s an Elway helicopter spin into the end zone type situation. If it’s not crucial, don’t do it. That’s the only thing that keeps us from winning the Super Bowl. And you know what? I think Harbaugh knows this. I think Harbaugh knows that he only has to put Kaep running a lot into game plans every three or four weeks. The defense just needs to respect the QB run and it opens up other holes for Roman and Kaep to exploit. I say run Kaep every three or four weeks, and in the Super Bowl, or in big games, let it all hang out. This may sound way, way over confident, but I don’t think the 49ers need to risk a Lombardi trophy on the Atlanta Falcons. I don’t think the 49ers need to run Kaep as much against them. Nolan and company are already preparing to stop Kaep. That alone should be enough.

Kappy’s struggles, at least with the Rams, was due to them running a zone defense. Man to man is easier to read and attack, as Kappy showed against the Bears and the Packers. Atl? Well, it’s Mike Nolan’s defense. He mixes shit up a lot and shows different looks all over the place, but his deal is usually a lot of DBs to prevent big plays. His big sub 4-2-5 defense. I didn’t pay too too much attention yesterday, but the 2nd half sure looked like the heavy DB package that used to give up yards by the truckload when he was with the Niners. Trouble is, it didn’t keep Seattle out of the end zone.

Kappy just has to be patient. When he’s clear on a target, he hit’s ’em with the best of them. He often gets a little indecisive when he’s forced to look around for secondary receivers. Teams that play underneath zones can stifle QB runs some of the time, and put licks on guys as they break contain. This is how Smith got nailed by the Rams. All this type of stuff leads me to believe that the Niners may come out and try to pound the ball if Nolan and his big suck 4-2-5 defense shows up.

We’ve certainly come a long way from Harbaugh is the biggest piece of shit back-stabbing son of a bitch anyway.

chuck, did you even watch the SEA-ATL game? ATL played a safety in the box and one deep all game. They did replace a LB with a DB in the fourth quarter up by three scores. Wow, radical. Think SEA might throw deeper routes being behind that far with time runing out and the running game becoming less of a threat? Missed tackles and an interception got SEA caught up. All a scheme can do is put players in position. They missed on blitzes and tackles.

What part of “I didn’t pay too much attention” did you miss, NoFear? What happened in that 4th quarter, BTW? Sea should have won. That’s what happened. Regardless, I WAS right. Nolan’s big suck defense did it’s job in the 4th quarter.

• NoFear49er says:

You write a piece condemning some facet of the game and claim you didn’t pay attention and then take offense at someone pointing out you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. It amounts to so much pompous windbag blather.

Your habit is to throw out a bunch of currently popular bullshit and repeat it endlessly if no one calls you on it. Pretty soon you’ll call it up as fact.

Currently popular bullshit? Wow. I’ve been called a lot of things, but that hurts. And Spitty thinks I suck. No one really cares, NoFear. But Jeeze, bring up Teflon Mike, and its go time. Like a goddamn cuckoo clock. Nothing sets off NoFear like a dig at Teflon Mike. He’is gone. Let him go. Your bro-mance with him is a bit odd. Are you his brother?

And nothing sets off Spitty like noticing he regurgitates others sposts as his own.

Boy this is fun.

Radical in the fact that it should have lost the game for Atl. I’ll laugh my ass off on that one, NoFear.

You have, NoFear. You sure like to put words in people’s mouths. Are you referring to folks here, or just the world in general. Not sure what your point is NoFear, when Seattle went up and down the field at will in the 4th quarter.

The fact that Sea took the lead isn’t a product of Atl suddenly forgetting how to cover and tackle, it’s Nolan nearly scheming them out of the game. That’s why they call him Teflon Mike. When the D plays well, he called a great game. When they blow a 20 point lead in 8 minutes, it’s the players. This happened in the same game!

11. Alleykat says:

As i recall,we went into Atlanta during Dipshit Singletary’s last season.Had the game won on a late interception by Nate Clements,pnly to see the fool get it punched out from behind.and the Falcons marched down the field for a GW FG!!!
    Fucking Clements only needed to fall down and the game was ours.But Noooo he had to showboat and try and score.

• NoFear49er says:

Hey Alleykat, wasn’t that the game Mays had his miracle TD and we didn’t score a point after the first quarter. And they did win on a FG after White chased down Clements and punched the ball out.

Did you guys see the cupcakes the Falcons have played this year? And they still have a defense ranked in the 20’s? That’s trouble for Atlanta. That’s big trouble. I might up my spread from 21 to 24.

13. Scoring Challenge: Conference championship round Niners VS Doity Boids. Who you gonna call?

Phil: 35-17 Niners. Got the Ravs over NE too.

41 -34 Niners
    i think the Ravens take em too Grump. 23 -21

Good read chuck, at the moment I am remembering many a Nolan coached game where we gave up yards like it was going out of style. His defenses do buckle down in the Redzone but I think we have the weapons to take it to em. I look for Moss to have a good game. I hope Kappy is practicing his Ally Oop throws.

Gee, NoFear, did the suddenly forgetting-how-to-tackle Falcons problems coincice with the installation of the big suck defense? Hmmm. Let’s look at the scoreboard. 21 points in 13 minutes has to mean something, eh? Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! I wasn’t paying that much attention, but I was still right, skippy.

I may be a pompous windbag spewing popular bullshit (whatever that means), but has anyone out there in the internets noted Nolan’s near failure? I only see it here. Plus you admitted that Nolan did take out an LB for a DB in the 4th quarter, right? Like I said, right? And you called it the right move, right? And THEN suddenly Atl forgot how to tackle? You are so cute when defending Mike Nolan and his Big Suck D. Gawd, your absolute brown-nosong in his case is stupefying.

Carry on skippy. ‘Scuze me while I laugh laugh laugh.

You rooting for Atlanta?

Atlanta WILL BE humbled in their DOME! Got that? Sure we all know the Niners are playing for keeps now!

17. shaman138 says:

Scores? Ok, here goes…Bradys over Ravens 35-21…Niners over the vultures 21-17.

Niners 42-10
    Baltimore 34-31
    I’m less confident about the Baltimore game (obviously) and I’m gonna take the points in my parlay, but I just don’t see a scenario where we don’t destroy Atlanta.
    They have us beat on WR’s. And that’s it. And when, exactly, are the Falcons going to have the ball? it’s tough to catch a td pass when you’re sitting on the sideline with your helmet off. We are going to run all over them and dominant time of possession.
    Plus, assuming we go up early, I don’t see the crowd a factor except in the very beginning.
    Our defense is so beyond better than theirs it’s not even worth breaking it down…..
    Kap on artificial turf? Um, more please.
    And finally, Mike Nolan?
    Utter destruction of the Falcons on Sunday…..

Hee hee haa haa. Even I’m not that optimistic, Flav but this game could easily go to absurd mode pretty quickly. As noted, Atl has had a creampff schedule and still gives up yards in bunches. More throttle to the floor should kill these guys off fast.

As I said though, Kappy’s struggles have been with zone D’s, which is why I think we come out running and work play action off that.

Niners cannot possibly let Mike Nolan get the better of them. I could stomach losing another NFC title game, but not one where the DC is Mike Friggin’ Nolan. Although I will give Nolan credit. Though he picked Alex, thus starting 7+ years of star-crossed QBing, mostly mediocre to maddening QB play, he did draft PWillis, Gore, Staley, Goldson, McDonalald, Haralson,

• snarkk says:

and VD. Drafting he wasn’t too shabby at, assuming he had some input with McCloughan, and I think he did, particularly on D players. Anybody every know whatinhell actually happened with McCloughan?…

• Spitblood says:

McCloughan works for Seattle. Mike Nolan is a crappy defensive coach. He might actually be better at drafting. Mike Nolan reminds me of Rob Ryan.

Willis was Singletary, and he had to be talked into it.

• Spitblood says:

Willis was Nolan. Nolan saw him while coaching one of those East / West shrine games (it wasn’t the East / West shrine game, but you know what I mean). Nolan was responsible for Willis.

Well, at the time, Sing was against drafting Willis.

• Alleykat says:

Willis was a Nolan draft pick.Mike Nolan was actually pretty good at finding talent,he just couldnt coach them to the next level.Not gonna go with his one big mistake Alex over Aaron.But he did draft VD,Willis,McDonald,Goldson,Staley,traded for the “Cowboy” all starters,signed Clements,who was pretty good the first few years.Drafted Haralyson as well

• Alleykat says:

Well that should tell you how Stupid and Fucked Up Singletary was.Trying to tell Nolan not to draft Patrick Willis.Willis was a “Beast” in college with sideline to sideline speed and terror.And still is!!!!
        Singletary can go fuck himself,or somebody might next time he drops his pants and says I want Wieners,i meant Winners!!

• Grumpy Guy says:

Spit – it was the Senior Bowl.

• Spitblood says:

That’s what I thought but then I just couldn’t imagine Willis not coming out his Junior year.

Nolan was decent at personnel decisions. I thought at one point he would have been a decent GM. Say McCarthy stayed as HC instead of jetting to GB. And we drafted Rodgers. The mind boggles.

We have all debated Smith/Kap from various viewpoints and I think that’s been settled. I just watched the GB game again, without the aid of amber glasses. I am a big fan of Frank Gore and he has been a stalwart for the Niners. In reality the QB, be it Smith or Kap have been the bit player to Frank Gore who has headlined this offense since being drafted. I don’t think that is the case anymore. I think Kap has become the “bell cow” of this offense with Gore now in the support role. Gore is still a top ten RB this year, amazing when you think of all he has done over the years.
    Maybe this was obvious to everyone else and I am a little slow but it just felt like the GB game was a passing of the torch as to who the star of the offense is now.
    The future so bright I gotta wear shades.

23. Grumpy Guy says:

Not every team will play man coverage and let Kappy run for 181 yards. He’ll have games where it’s a lot tougher. But what I am impressed by is how he follows up mistakes – INTs, fumbles, etc. – with highly focused, productive play on the next drive. Usually ending in a score. He’s been doing it since his first INT. Unlike some young QBs, he doesn’t hang his head and beat himself up when he makes a mistake – he comes back and plays better the next series. That, right there, is enough for me to think he is going to be a real star in this league with another season under his belt. He is not only an amazing athlete, he is mentally tough as nails. I see good years ahead for this team.

I felt after the Chicago game the QB torch had passed and the GB game the offensive star had changed hands. Each game is different, the ups and downs, but Kap is now the player defenses have to account for the most, he is the focal point and that’s a paradigm shift for this offense from RB to QB.
      I don’t think the Niners win by 21 against the Falcons, in fact I think a one score game is likely, but the Niners are the better team and tougher too which should be enough to get the job done.

• Spitblood says:

Me too, Grump, if he can stop running and play from the pocket. Forget the read option in a year or two. Throw from the pocket. Whenever the read option is a major part of your offense, your qb is in jeopardy. I hope Kaep learns to win big while being a pocket passer.

• Spitblood says:

That said…. for the next two games Kaep should let it all hangout and run wild. Run Kaep, RUN!!!!! The reward out-weighs the risk!

Chuck, you’re not right. If you ever are it’s more than likely just the law of averages at work.

Hardly any defense runs nickel more than we do, so that’s not a legitimate complaint since you don’t complain about it with us.

Nolan runs a base 4-3 in Atlanta. He likes to put an OLB up on the LOS and a safety in a 30 technique LB spot and likes to flip and switch up players on the line.

I don’t root for Atlanta but I do try to watch a game before I criticize the players or coaching from the score or stat sheet like some know-it-all blowhard.

Yes, I can complain about Nolan’s big suck. Sure, we play nickel. But we don’t play the nickel where the CBs are 12 yards deep. Nolan’s deep shell. Actually, the Niners DID do their version of that in the 2nd half of the NE game. Keep everything in front of you, and don’t let anyone get past you. Problem is this opens up everything underneath.

Answer me this. What happened in the 4th quarter, NoFear? Purely coincidence that the Falcons gave up 21 points in 13 minutes after the defensive switch? Coincidence that Seattle was able to move the ball at will after that? Just asking.

For all intents and purposes, that’s a 3-4 he’s running.

Also, it’s easier for the QB to run against man coverage because the defenders are facing away, you know, playing the man. When the defense is in zone they are facing the passer, playing the ball. Pretty basic shit, skippy.

Which is what I said, NoClue. Kappy’s struggles have been against zone defenses. He roasted the man teams.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Unless Nolan and the AFC winning DC are doing serious drugs, I would think we will see damned little man, and lots of zone, for the remainder of our playoff experience. Harbaugh and Roman need to spend this week preparing Kappy for that likely outcome.

26. Alleykat says:

No suprise…Colin Kapernick “Sports Illustrated Cover” Rockin the Red & Gold!!!

27. barleyfreak says:

I thought Kap did a good job overall avoiding hits and as has been stated, that is crucial. It’s funny, but the highlight reels the last couple days pretty much ONLY show Kap running. I like that. Just keep worrying about his RUNNING and forget the 260+ yards & 2 TDs.

I agree that against zone coverage Kap struggles. Why Capers went there is a mystery. Nolan won’t. But in the end ATL’s defensive line is not that great. Mediocre against the run, mediocre against the pass, 5th last in sacks — our OL should dominate them.

Despite all that, it is a road game, following an emotional electric game against GB. I think the game will be closer than it should, 31-23, Niners.

My gut tells me the Ravens will beat NE, setting up the Harbowl. But that would mean that BOTH road teams advance in the same year in the Championship games. That seems hard to believe. So I’ll go with the Ravens as the bridesmaid once again, and call it NE over BAL, 35-31.

The 49ers are going to beat Atlanta 45-17.

WTF? The 49ers are going to win the Super Bowl and you guys aren’t even excited about it. I mean, we’ve been wandering through the desert for years with guys like Jimmy Raye, Hostler, Manusky and Billy Davis (was that his name?). Think of all the stinkers we’ve watched since Steve Young went down. I mean in a lot of ways the stinker fest that’s been the 49ers is bookended by Atlanta – Hearst to Kaep, and you guys aren’t even excited that the dry spell is over and we’ll be champions again. I need a “FUCK YEAH,” from someone……… We need to get a little fired up on Tuesday. You guys don’t even see that the San Francisco 49ers are going to win the Super Bowl. Let me write that again: THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS ARE GOING TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!

• Irish Kevin says:

Your confidense is overwehlming. I have seen good, bad, and ugly out of the Niners. I am too lazy to go look but there was a season where the Niners just cruised through the season, and then the playoffs came and they got creamed (Chicago?) in the playoffs. If there is one thing in all of sports it is that NOTHING is guaranteed!! and if you are soooo confident that they will win, then you must be going down to barrow money against your home to make that bet in Reno, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe? the closest Indian Casino?? Go for it Spit.

• Spitblood says:

Tough crowd…. tough crowd. Do you have a pulse, man? It’s the 49ers, and this is the Super Bowl!!!!!!

• barleyfreak says:

Hey — I think we’re going to win it all this year too. We beat Atlanta, then the Pats (or Ravens). I’m fucking excited. I just don’t use CAPS or exclamation points. Deal with it. I also still think it won’t be a blow out this Sunday despite our superiority as a team.

I’m also REALLY (!!!!!) stoked that Kap’s our QB — present and FUTURE!!!! I think he’s good NOW (!!) and going to get a good deal BETTER in the FUTURE!!!! We have our QB. The Smith era has ended. And it’s possible, and probable, that we will NEVER HAVE TO DEBATE ALEX SMITH AGAIN!!!!!

That alone was worth the extra CAPS/!!!

• Alleykat says:

Couldnt agree more Barley…Kap can make every throw,run as fast as Usain Bolt.We have
        just barely begun unleashing the “Hell& Fury” of what he is capable of.He is gonna be a DC nightmare for years.to come!!!!

• Spitblood says:

Yeah, poor old Alex. But the great thing is, Barley, that if I’m ever allowed back on the 49er Outsider (I name I made up and gave to Skeebers btw), I’ll just get banned all over again for calling both Skeebers and Berger Alex Smith lovin’ fools. The 49erOutsider is a place for Alex Smith love. Don’t kid yourself…… like they do.

Minnesota 1987. That was the game when Walsh pulled Montana for Young as he played like shit. Young did OK, but in the end threw a killer pick.

I’m with ya. I think this team is poised to get there, but I have niggling doubts in the back of my mind. Inconsistency has been an issue. Kappy vs zone defenses has been an issue. All that being said, i feel this team is by far the team to beat. The last 4 times they were faves this season, they cratered and fell out of those stupid power rankings.

Like the team, I was jacked as hell that we beat the Pack. But now, it’s hunker down time. Get shit together and let it all out on Sunday.

• Spitblood says:

The reason for the inconsistencies is two fold: One is that the 49ers were transitioning at the most important position in all of sports. In doing so, the 49ers were learning how to coach with Kaep. A qb, like we saw with Alex, obviously affects the offensive plays but also affects the defensive plays and the mindset of the coaching staff. This transition created inconsistencies.

The second reason for the inconsistencies is because I believe Harbaugh was holding back and not showing all of his hand – waiting for the playoffs to unleash hell tenfold a woman scorned.

In other words, it ain’t time to be Richard Sherman.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Never will be.

He’s quickly staking his claim to be the new ‘Most Hated Player in the NFL’. Hopefully Iupati will get a chance to ClayMatthews-ize him next year.

• Spitblood says:

Was it Sherman who was clapping when Roddy White caught that bomb over his head? Same dude who was antagonizing Trent Williams? If that’s the dude, he’ll get his comeuppins.

That’s the guy Spit and yeah someone will give him his comeuppance and that’s half the fun in it.

No shit. He’s going to get blasted at some point. Would love to see VD blindside his ass next year.

I kinda like his antics, he is a good CB and gets into players heads, “you mad bro” was a classic. Never been much of a fan of the NoFunLeague. Talking shit is funny. I read on Skeebs blog someone complaining about Kap kissing his bicep is a problem and he should act like he’s been there, funny that since they were playing Mr. Discount Double Check and Clay Mathews who have both parlayed their victory dance into TV ad sponsorships.

Take the stick out your asses and lighten up, the game needs characters.

• Spitblood says:

Well said 12th…… or Chuck…..never sure anymore.

Now that is funny coming from the maestro spitblood.

That was Bullit of course. From Cam Newton’s superman thing to the discount double suck to 10,000 other celebrations, the deal is ludicrous. Especially galling was the taunting call on Kappy after he rushed for the 1st down.

The taunting call was bogus, if he overarmed it into their faces sure, but being excited about them trying to jack him up but he makes the down anyway? Gimme a break.

It’s a game, fun and celebration are part and parcel of it or should be.

used to love seeing Merton Hanks do his chicken dance after an interception. Ironic he is part of the “no fun police” now.

I like that Kap has that little bit of swagger in the end zone, more power to him.

The 49ers are going to dominate the Altanta Falcons AND the New England Patriots!

• Grumpy Guy says:

That is a nice post. Thanks for sharing it here.

• Spitblood says:

That is a great article, 12th. Thank you. The one thing that jumps out at me is that people are right now second-guessing Dom Capers, but really, what can you do? The Packers were going with one safety over the top to help stop the 49ers run game that’s got a ton of different dimensions to it. Now, however, Kaep is beating those additional players down low and forcing teams to go with two or even three safeties high. This is why Harbaugh made the switch to Kaep – because Kaep will force teams to play nickle and dime where Alex Smith never did. Teams have to respect Kaep’s ability to pass. That opens up the power run game and all the fun stuff underneath. The one thing I’m worried about is that Kaep does have touch, but he loves to sling it. If you’re forced to play against zones and safeties over the top, that means if you’re qb is high with his throws ( and he’s throwing lasers) tipped balls become INTs. That’s my biggest concern against zones, and nickle and dime coverage.

I still think the Falcons’ D is big and slow and guys like Vernon will have a big game underneath. But Kaep will have to be patient and throw with more touch on crossing routes underneath. He’ll have to not get addicted to the big play and all the Sports Illustrated hype. If Kaep gets addicted to the big play, and is always looking to make a highlight run or throw, the 49ers could lose in Atlanta. I’m confident the 49er coaching staff is preaching the importance of patience to Kaep against Atlanta. You’ll beat Atlanta with slow, methodical drives. And every once in a while Mike Nolan will make a huge mistake that could lead to a monster play. But if Kaep’s mindset is that he’s going win with five or six good, slow, methodical drives that result in touchdowns, we’ll win the Super Bowl. We’ve seen Kaep beat one safety high, and we’ve seen him beat man coverage. The question is now whether or not Kaep can beat zone, nickle and dime coverage. Fortunately for Kaep, he’s got a great offensive line and a great run game to lean on if necessary.

Fuck yeah.

Steve Young is going to be on ESPN radio, on the Herd, Colin Cowherd radion show.

New thread is up . . .