Busy Weekend

Wow. The 49ers managed to pack in about 2 weeks worth of activity into a 3 day weekend. The 49ers Tijuana Brass apparently decided to negotiate with their terrorist Right Guard Alex Boone, and give him a raise. Ray McDonald, fresh off reworking his contract for the benefit of the team, went rogue on his birthday and decided to test out the new domestic violence rules enacted by Jolly Roger. Ray Ray is claiming the truth will come out, but when the victim (preggers, no less) has bruises on her neck, well that precludes about 99.99% of any reasoning that could paint this in anything but a bad light. Sorry Ray Ray. I think your days as a Niner are over.

The bad news is this came AFTER cut-down day. Speaking of cut-down day, pretty much all of the special teams squad was released, including the long snapper, good ol’ whatsizname. George Seely has his work cut out for him, but we’ll see how that works out. I like the fact we kept 6 WRs, but as usual, I hope they all get work. Not that Alex Smith was the good old days, but when he was in, he’d spread the ball around to just about everyone available. In recent history, it has been VD and Crabs, and pray for another disease to crop up. Anquan Boldin actually came on very strong in Crabs stead last year, so we do have a strong proven pair of starters to go along with VD, and a suddenly effective-looking VMcD. And there is a crop of solid backups in place. Patton has made plays, and Ellington got a ton of PS work, but the incumbents seem to be Brandon Lloyd and Little Stevie Wonder.

The fact that neither did much doesn’t seem to be a concern, but the hope is they bring vet savvy and a deep ball or 2 to the table. I certainly like Ellington’s speed, and he made some nice catches after a shaky start, and Patton has shown flashes of ability, but Duke will likely be relegated to KR duties, and the General relegated to 4 WR sets and the occasional slot toute. For the time being anyway. I’d love to see he and Patton getting in on 4 WR sets.

Point being, this offense really needs to get rolling fast as the defense keeps getting thinner and thinner as the season approaches. The team has stated they are still in ‘fact gathering’ mode regarding our latest ne’er-do-well, but the hooraw that would erupt should Mr Value Meal play would be deafening. It would be a PR disaster for the team to put him on the field in Dallas after apparently strangling his pregnant girlfriend. The Niners should just go ahead and suspend him for 6 games.

Then again, what good is taking matters into your own hands, as Aldon Smith did last year? His voluntary 5 game rehab stint last season has proven not to matter one iota when Jolly Roger gets a bug up his ass. One he firmly placed there himself when he went light on Ray Rice.

81 Responses to Busy Weekend

The legal process will play out on this Ray Ray thing, but that takes quite a while. I’m not sure what the team can do with him under the CBA in the meanwhile. Can they suspend him for getting arrested? They can’t really play him, that’s a PR nightmare if they do, and I just don’t see that happening. But, they need an active body to replace him if they’re not going to play him. What are the choices, Chuck?…

Wait, wait, wait…. I stopped reading at “Alex Smith spread the ball around.” Are you counting the water cooler ten yards out of bounds? You meant to write, “Alex Smith spread the ball around if you were his check down option.” And man, this blog and 49er fans have forgotten all about Kaep in 2012. It’s like it never happened around here. How many times do I have to remind this blog: Kaep had no options in 2013 because Baalke gutted the wide receiving corp last year like he gutted special teams and our secondary this year. When you dump Moss, Walker and Ginn, and Crabtree and Patton get hurt, you’re only passing option is Vernon and Q. Jon Baldwin was as motivated as a member of Caltrans. Vance McDonald was a babe in the woods. That leaves few options and only the feeble minded then blame Greg Roman. If our special teams sucks this year is it Brad Seeley’s fault? No. It’s Trent Baalke’s.

Randy Moss retired. He was hardly ‘gutted’. He bragged, pouted, and lollygagged his way off the team. Fuck him and his idiotic Super Bowl comments. And, for the nth time, Ginn was used as a PR/KR, not as a WR. Is that on Baalke? No. The fact Ginn caught more passes in one year as Carolina’s 3rd than he did in 3 years here should tell you something.

Unless Ted Ginn’s 2 catches for 1 yard in 2012 were irreplaceable.

Maybe it was the 1 rush for 7 yards?

Fucking epic. Yeah, we miss that shit.

Apparently the buck stopped well short in your case.

Everybody knows the WRs were limited last year, but even in the so-called glory year of 2012, the backups weren’t providing a hell of a lot.

Manningham was the biggest loss yet he gets no acknowledgement. His problem was staying on the field due to injuries, but that doesn’t fit the screed so he doesn’t count despite his 42 catches for 450.

Walker caught 21 balls. Yes, he provided a nice tandem with VD, but he wanted the big money. For a backup TE? Adios. VMcD should be able to match those numbers this year.

Try to keep up with reality, dude.

• Spitblood says:

Randy Moss retired because the 49ers didn’t actively pursue his talents because they had cap issues, but somehow also had a surplus. Translation – the 49ers’ front office didn’t put a priority on Randy Moss. I think you’re smart enough to know that Moss would have played had the 49ers been more accommodating – which in retrospect they should have been.

Ted Ginn was a walking rocket who took the top off the defense and was a consistent out pattern for Alex Smith. When Ginn wasn’t in the there during the NFC Championship game against the Giants, Smith struggled. His struggles were widely recognized. He was a significant part of the 2012 offense as well. Stats never tell the entire story.

Randy Moss, Ted Ginn, Delanie Walker? It’s easy to tear one down at a time. But all at once, the culmination of losing all of them coupled with a first year qb, that’s debilitating. And that was a Baalke decision. You can look at it my way, or blame Roman. But what happens if our offense is awesome in 2014? Who’s right then? One hint…. it’s me.

Looks like a 10-6 season to me. Wild card? I doubt they can win the division.
    Tough schedule, toughass division. Too many issues on the D with Bowman and Aldon out for 1/2 the season, now this with MacDonald. D backfield re-tooled. Offense may be upgraded at skill positions, but O line looks dicey. Boone will probably pull a muscle or something coming in late and out of condition, he’ll be iffy the first half of the season. Obviously, these games against lower performers like Dallas — they need to win ’em. Should wins = Cowboys, Bears, Rams (@ Levi), Giants, Wash, Oakland. 6-2 at home, 4-4 roadie…

With the greatest coach in the history of the game at the wheel it’s hard to see how losing half the defense would be much of a problem. But, just in case, by the slightest of possibilities, we don’t end up winning all our regular season games, playoff games and the Super Bowl, Trent Baalke and unnamed others in the front office are being neatly set up to take the fall. Priceless.

Deja vu, it’s Alex Smith all over again. Only the names have been changed.

• Spitblood says:

First of all, Harbaugh’s not the greatest coach in the history of game. Bill Walsh is. But it’s funny you should mention Bill Walsh because until Walsh got total control of his front office, he didn’t succeed. Same holds true with Harbaugh. You give Harbaugh total control and he’ll win you Super Bowls like Walsh.

And secondly, if we lose half the defense and our defense is still good, it’s Fangio who deserves the credit for spinning straw into gold, not Haraugh. Same holds true for Seeley. It’s Baalke who gutted our receiving corp last year, and it’s Baalke who gutted our secondary and our special teams this year. I love a good youth movement, but I’m not a fan of clear cutting.

And finally, yes. If we don’t win the Super Bowl, it’s Baalke’s fault, not Jim Harbaugh’s.

My biggest problem with Baalke during THIS DRAFT and THIS YEAR is he’s left the spine of our defense vulnerable and we’re incredibly thin up the middle. He gambled and didn’t draft a NT or a safety and because of the lack of depth along the spine of our defense, the injury to Dorsey hurts double time. Same thing happened with our wide receivers last year. Baalke guts the receiving unit, then Crabtree and Patton get injured. You’d think Baalke’d learn not to gut units. In my opinion, gutting our receiving corp last year cost us wins, which cost us home field advantage, which cost us the Super Bowl. Clear cutting components or units to a team is a horrible idea. If I’m Jim Harbaugh, I’m either asking for control of the draft and salary cap, or I’m getting paid the highest amount in the history of NFL coaches. Because if I have to suffer fools, you’re gonna pay me. Otherwise, if you expect me to make a gourmet meal, I’m doin’ the grocery shopping.

• NoFear49er says:

You’ve tried very hard to set up a heads I win, tails you lose scenario for your boy Harbaugh. If we win, you can gloat, if we lose you can gloat. Not transparent much.

Harbaugh’s got some adversity to deal with, for the first time here. We’ll see if he can coach his way through it.

• Spitblood says:

Are you kidding me? I didn’t try very hard. I blew the whistle on myself, alerting you cretins to my generous. Once I realized I won both ways I started to feel dirty, like Chuck feels everyday riding the fence.

The more shit we pile on here, the more we’ll see how Harbaugh handles adversity.

6. FF drafts are tonight. Yahoo! at 6 PM, and ESPN at 8:30 PM PDT.
    Hope to see you there.

Will Chuck make his first LIVE draft? If not, I’m sure Alex Smith will still be available off the WW. I promise you one thing — I sure in the hell ain’t drafting ’em.

I’m sure Mark Sanchez will work out for you fine, Dennis.

• Don’t laugh. Sanchez has looked fantastic this preseason with Chip Kelly and his Eagles. If they lose Foles, Sanchez might come in and keep them afloat for a game or two. He’s still carrying that huge anchor, but he might keep them afloat.

Thanks, Dennis.

Since Jim’s brother John welcomed back Ray (Boom Boom) Rice with open arms, who did this the right way? Do you think we just go ahead and cut Ray McDonald?

• rtfirefly says:

Due process. For what we all know at this point, his girlfriend might have tripped, fallen over backward while screaming (which prompted the neighbors to call the cops), and RayMc lunged and grabbed her hard to stop her fall.
      Not bloody likely that happened, but let’s get some facts first.

• Unless on the slim chance there was a case of mistaken identity and it wasn’t Ray McDonald who caused the injuries to his girlfriend, I don’t see how possibly the Niners could keep Ray on their roster. Especially when considering Jimbo’s previous and latest comments concerning domestic violence. That said, with the intricacies of the CBA and our legal system and how it pertains to the NFL, I don’t know if they could cut Ray immediately. Maybe? But the organization can’t let McDonald play Sunday. They just can’t. They better not if they know what’s good for ’em.

In news that should warm spitty’s heart, Kaasim Osgood was re-signed to fill the spot voided by Glen Dorsey’s hitting the short-term IR list.

Jim Irsay suspended 6 months, fined $500K for DUI by Ol’ Rog..
    1) This happened only after he pled guilty in court.
    2) A bit harsher than the Seacrows $200K for cheating to gain competitive advantage.

6 months without Twitter will kill him.

10-6 division champs. I don’t think the refs will let Seattle’s D get away with the same shit.

Micheal Sam to Dallas confirming long held belief there’s only steers and queers in Texas. Question is… which one is Sam?

(totally POTD….. in 1960).

Aldon didn’t give up anything to go to rehab. The team had to replace him but he still got his game check. Everyone has tried to help him by fixing things for him. But he doesn’t make much of an effort on his own. It’s amazing what playing a game the public likes will do for you and how many will very publicly line up to ‘help’ you. Unless you mistreat a dog that is. There is a limit to what the PC public will stand for.

• Spitblood says:

Don’t pretend to know what Aldon is or is not doing off the field. Stick to trying to get free wifi in your bunker and rationing your canned goods.

• NoFear49er says:

Pretending to know stuff is your deal not mine. I judge on results and actions.

My “bunker” is in good shape and if I want any canned goods I’ll take yours first, and your pet goat.

• Spitblood says:

Pack a lunch. You’ll find me an all day sucker…. wait, that’s my goat.

My question is, and I’m not a lawyer or a wife beater (maybe we can ask one on the blog here… big odds on which one steps up first), but I bet the wife or girlfriend, financee or whatever starts to rethink this ESPECIALLY if they aren’t married yet. Now any of you lawyers or former woman beaters know if she can NOT press charges? Because if you think it through, and he’s convicted, as a couple they’re moving…. to another city because he’s not a Niner anymore. And if she looks around and thinks, “This is where I wanted to raise little Ray Ray… I have family and friends here.” Now moving is a very real possibility and all for a drunken party where some emotions ran high? I bet she’s re-thinkin’ things. But I wonder if it’s an issue where once you’re called to the scene of a domestic violence deal, it’s no longer up to the female.

Ike Turner ruined it for Ole’ McDonald.

• NoFear49er says:

I don’t think it matters if she recants at this point, in California. Self defense is probably his best chance to get it dropped if there are signs of injury.

• Spitblood says:

He’s a Niner. He’s made of steel. He won’t have marks on him. He’s done unless she starts singing a different tune… like…. “Officer, I was drunk…. I did this stuff to myself….. vacuuming before the party… with the cord. I got tangled and tripped… This is all a big misunderstanding.”

• Spitblood says:

I should write for f’n CSI Menlo Park.

In California, the DA can still bring intentional domestic injury charges against the accused even if the alleged victim won’t press charges, under DA’s assumption she’s being coerced to drop it. It’s hard to press it forward, though, without her cooperation — if she won’t testify, she has to be subpoenaed to testify. In those cases, it probably get’s reduced down to domestic battery, which is a misdemeanor…

• Spitblood says:

Well look at the big brain on Snarkk….. and he sounds like an attorney. I would have lost my bet. I’m thinking it gets knocked down to a misdemeanor because she re-thinks things.

“I dare you to say ‘what’ again.”

• Spitblood says:

Two things can happen assuming he laid hands on her…. it’s either a misdemeanor (her taking the easy way out) or she wants to make sure this never happens again. If it’s the former, or she’s leaning towards the former and Harbaugh and his coaching staff hear this, McDonald’s starting week 2. If it’s the latter, she’s okay moving to another city, having Ray play for another team, knowing he’ll probably never touch her again. Tough choice.

It’s the Michael Jackson rule. You can’t buy (or coerce) your way out of a charge if it is deemed serious enough despite the victim not pressing charges for whatever reason.

• Spitblood says:

Analogy doesn’t work. Jackson didn’t have a commissioner and players’ union to deal with. And the victim is an adult.

It sounds like there were some witnesses, it will all come out in the end.

• snarkk says:

Unless they’re all Sergeant Shultz…

Vernon states he personally saw nothing –
      Stated that possibly 50-75% of the Team was present.

I’m all for due process but, this isn’t something to be taken lightly.
      Especially in light of the new DV policy Goodell has implemented.

Add to that, the newly restructured Contract RayMc did.
      There very well could have been language involved for personal conduct too.
      If he’s found guilty, the Team could recoup $$$ I guess?

Time will tell…….

Thought I’d read something related to RayMc, regarding his legal ability to travel to Dallas, pending the Court date?

Not sure if that’s accurate or not?
    By the sounds of things coming from 9er Town, it seems like they’re going to make that determination.
    Color me confused.

Snagged Megatron with my first ESPN pick. A good omen.

Well, it’s hard to explain away bruises on her neck. If Jimbo’s going to walk the talk, Ray shouldn’t be on the flight either way.

Otherwise, he’s just blowing smoke and letting the inmates run the asylum.

• NoFear49er says:

As I said earlier, self defense would explain it. If she was in attack mode and he was holding/fending her off.

Besides, brother John is already catching heat for welcoming Ray (boom boom) Rice back with open arms.

Security video sunk Ray Rice –
    Otherwise that incident would’ve never gotten reported.
    RayMc needs something along those lines to save his a$$, if that’s even possible.

Made it through Dennis FF draft. Gonna kill . . .

23. I can’t believe it. And you didn’t pull any “I’ve got A.J. Jenkins’ name in an envelope” picks either. But Alex is still waiting for you on the WW. There’s still hope.

So?
    Does the signing of Michael Sam by Jerruh look legit or, just a way to sell some jerseys?

Looks like that website has changed….for the better.

Men with too much time on their hands…….playing fantasy football.

Well,I don’t want to know what you have on your hands, Nippy.

Brokeback linebacker. Gold, I tell you . . .

Welker gets 4 game PEDs suspension for doing “Molly” / amphetamines at the Kentucky Derby looking at horses and hats, 3 months out from even seeing a practice field. He denies taking it — whatever. Ray Rice cold cocks his fiance basically on video, but he gets just two games. Goodie’s NFL justice — continues to make no sense…

I think the four game suspension for a bad test, first time, is spelled out in the CBA. That’s not Goodell’s heavy hand.

It’s hilarious to me how the fans are so anxious to pass judgment and punishment on players before any facts are made public. RayMac doesn’t seem to fit the profile, to me anyway, but at least I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. You know, like we do for common criminals and terrorists.

• snarkk says:

I think you’re right about the 4 games for bad drug test. More penalties should be spelled out and taken away from Goodie’s discretion, IMO…

Like I said, NoFear, the initial report stated bruises around the girl’s neck. Hard to justify that, no matter what the situation.

Ray doesn’t fit the profile? Like you’d know. Did OJ?

He has to sit. Niners just want to delay the inevitable.

I used to like Ann Killion, back when Singletary was the coach. Probably because I had an appetite for hating everything 49ers back then: Singletary and Alex Smith? What’s not to like. But I still read mostly everything Ann writes, and I have to say over the last two years I haven’t enjoyed one of her articles.

Here’s the thing…. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty even if there’s a smoking gun (like marks on her body). It doesn’t matter if he was arrested for killing 5 people and made bail – he plays because the right to a process is very real. So those of you crying for Harbaugh to sit McDonald better get used to the disappointment because I don’t think Harbaugh cares what you think, especially with one foot out the door.

The 49ers said they’d conduct their own investigation. They probably have and have decided this isn’t a convictable crime, or at least isn’t an offense worthy of the NFL’s 6 game ban. So, let the media cry and complain and try to hold Harbaugh to a high standard. It’s never worked before. Harbaugh could give a piss about what you think or what people write about him.

This isn’t due process, moron. Aaron Hernandez should be cleared to play if due process is taken into account.

Harbaugh’s being a huge hypocrite to fall back on due process. Zero tolerance, well, except for when its one of my guys. He was all talk when his brother was under the gun for welcoming back Ray Rice. As he was when Seattle’s players were getting caught pedding. Now that he;s under the hammer, he’s weaseling out.

Nut up or shut up, Jimbo.

• snarkk says:

Chuck, that idiot Hernandez is in jail since he got busted, they won’t let him out on bail. I think the comparison there of him to Ray is a little lopsided. I think they could punt for at least a bit by putting Ray on the inactive list for a game or two, coach’s decision not to activate, right? Isn’t that within the rules? But, does that allow another player to be activated to be at full strength 53? Personally, if they have enough facts gathered that there’s no way he dodges this felony, or will at least have to plead out to a domestic violence misdemeanor, I don’t see why they wouldn’t cut him now — other than if they sense a locker room mutiny if they do that this early. If for some reason it looks like he MIGHT beat the rap legally, they’re in a tough spot right now…

Yeah, it’s a little hyperbolic, but the truth remains, Jimbo’s all talk when it’s someone else’s players on the line. When it’s his, it’s a different tale entirely.

I think the bulk of the decision will hinge on whether there’s an arrest warrent issued.
    Tough spot indeed, because I think the simple answer was, the marks on her neck.

Was he attacked?
    That’s the million dollar line in the sand right now.
    If he’s restraining an enraged fiancee’ there’s room to save a decison certainly.

I can’t go so far as to compare Aaron Hernandez to this episode either Chuck.
    Simply because there was a murder involved with credible video evidence, along with eye witnesses, and an attempt to erase security records from the home surveillance system, to support his incarceration.
    Aaron is as good as finished, both as an athlete and, a free man, for a very long time.

If the SJ DA opts to drop the case he’s likely in the clear.
    If charges are filed, RayMc is likely done in SF.

Goodell is already suggesting that the outcome of the legal process could include waiting on a Court indictment too.
    That could take months to conclude.
    If charges are filed and, the 9ers don’t take the initiative, I’ll lose faith in the lip service Harbaugh is spewing right now.

If they jump too quickly, it suggests that RayMc is already tarnished, which certainly wouldn’t help his predicament.

Looks like Adam Snyder will be facing the 9ers when they play the NYG in November.

What was Worthlessberger convicted of that earned him his suspension?

Fuck Ray Mac and fuck this preseason.

New thread is up.