Offensive Musings

Here we are on the cusp of another season, and I can’t shake the uneasy feeling that this offense is going to remain closer to what it was as opposed as to what is should be. Yes, we have abandoned the 22 formations with 2 TEs, 1 WR and a loaded backfield to the 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB (12, get it?) set as the base deal. Well, they flip-flopped between that and the 21 (1 TE, 2 WR, 2 RB) but nothing much has changed results-wise.

I know, we haven’t played any starters very long, and no one has even been given a chance to get into synch, but as it lies, we are going to start Kappy on Thursday to address the very issue of continuity and consistency. Neither of which either side of the line has shown. The O line looked terrible against a very middle-of-the-road San Dawg defense. Funny thing was, though, that it wasn’t Boone’s replacement, Joe Looney who looked bad. He has done fine. It was Pro-Bowler Mike Iupati who was beaten like a drum last Sunday.

Still and all, Boone is one of the leaders on the O line, and you have to wonder what is happening behind the scenes. Boone hasn’t contacted anyone or done anything since camp started. He apparently wants ‘top 12’ money, and he would be here if it was offered to him. No one’s budging, so it looks like he’s cooling his heels for a while. On a side note, his agensts were successful getting Darrell Revis, Vincent Jackson, and Roddy White money after they held out. So their track record is successful. However, those guys play high profile (re: CB & WR) positions. There’s no guarantee that a right guard will fetch the payday he’s after.

Anyhow, as far as our high-flying offense goes, someone better wake up the players. Beyond the fact Kappy was pummeled nearly every time he went back to pass, the long game hasn’t shown up. The mid-range game hasn’t shown up either. We have a lot of 6-12 yard completions, but little to show for anything over 15 yards downfield. Kappy missed a wide open VMcD early in the game, and he just missed Brandon Lloyd in the Denver game. That’s about all they have to show for their attempts downfield with the starters.

Which brings me to our wide receivers. What gives? Stevie Wonder has little to show, other than a 5 yard catch on Sunday. Brandon Lloyd nearly scored vs. Denver, but between the two, they have 3 catches for 18 yards. Ellington looks pretty good after a shakey couple weeks. He made a very nice grab on a slant route that was thrown low by Blabbert. I fear that he falls behind the one guy they keep. Either Lloyd, or Little Stevie. 4 WRs? Garsh. Not very likely. Not much anyway. Not with this band of coaches.

But, as I’ve been saying for years now, open this up! I ain’t saying Mouse Davis Run ‘n’ Gun but something a little more nuanced rather than the plodding shit we’ve all seen for too long. We still run up the gut on 1st down way too much. We still throw 4 yard passes on 3rd and 8, and we still have been going 3-and-out too much for my liking.

So, color me concerned at this point. I keep thinking there’s a more sophisticated passing game under wraps, but I still see plays getting to the line very slowly, and the sense that both sides of the line know what is coming.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Offensive Musings

chuck, I am very concerned too, I get that it’s just PS but it really doesn’t look like we’ve progressed. For one thing, you don’t build cohesiveness with the 4th and last game. We have looked terrible so far and I wouldn’t be surprised if it carry’s over into the season.

It’s hard to evaluate and fix problems during the preseason because 1.) players aren’t playing within their regular, starting units 2.) schemes are vanilla 3.) Alex Boone is watching Gladiator movies.

This is why I keep saying we’re fortunate to be playing Dallas right off. They stink on ice. After the game the coaching staff can fix a number of problems.

Yeah as bad as some of us perceive the Niners problems they’re at least not Dallas. Damn they have that gigantic playpen and a ten cent team. Texans may have to storm Jerry’s office and demand changes one being him!

I wonder how much time our starters will play in this one, historically it will be very little. But, at least PS will be over and the real deal coming soon. My only true concern right now is our OL, we can change our philosophy and playbook but that doesn’t mean we can execute.

I think the offense will get a couple-three series. Unless they roll down and score a TD.

The D will be mainly backups.

Today is turf day. Trying to get it right this time!

Niners released current depth cart. Not lookin’ good for Tank. Quinton Patton should be shaking in his boots, and will my guy Osgood earn a spot just for being a gunner?
    Oh yeah, we’re stuck with Dahl.

*chart

Will Martin see the writing on the wall if they invite Incognito in for an interview?

Hah! I thought the same thing. Martin didn’t fall on his face last game. Maybe there’s hope.

Iupati was a big red flag though. WTF happened there? He looked asleep.

RTF, I sure hope we can find a safety after cut-down day. Dahl is a pretty big liability,

So what will they do this Thursday, put all the starters in for the first quarter/Half and go all out or will they protect the starters and run the shit they ran for the last 2 games. inquiring minds want to know.

I think the offense gets 2-3 series. The defense rests . . .

Well, Gordon got his year suspension for violations of the herbal kind. Got to wonder when the major league sports take pot off the drug list. All the pounding those guys take, a little self-medicating wouldn’t hurt anyone.

Not sure what to make of the report that Paraag and the Mevis Agency haven’t spoken since the start of Camp?
    Who exactly reported that there was an offer turned down?
    Wasn’t it the NFL Network guy Rappaport?
    Show’s how much of this information is bogus.

The Mevis Agency might have been successful playing the holdout game with other clients but, I’m not sure it occurred under the current CBA.

Mankins getting dealt to the Bucs might have saved them a higher Draft Pick but, Mankins is holding a considerably large Contract and he’s older than Boone.

Boone is going to watch the meager Contract he’s bitching about, evaporate with the fines he’s incurring.
    The current CBA was enacted to protect the Teams from these very tactics.
    Fines not withstanding, the bigger hit comes from losing eligibility toward FA by missing games.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• NoFear49er says:

McCloughan would have sent him a bus ticket to Oakland or Phoenix as a goodwill gesture by now.

Maybe Boone knows he’s played his best game already.

Makes you wonder NoFear49er.
        I think Baalke is playing the game to see who’s desperate enough to cough up a 1st or 2nd RD Pick too.

Having missed all of Camp and now PS, he’s as good as cooked by now I’d guess?

Strange to me that there’s reports of no contact between the Mevis Agency and Paraag.
        Smells like they’re telling Boone, Good Luck.

2yrs remaining on his current deal and, the prospect of losing a year toward FA means he’s cornered, while the fines continue to accrue.
        Law of diminishing returns?

Losing a year toward FA eligibility is the killer. I’ve read where he’s already burned that bridge, but I’m not sure.

I hope it’s true that the 49ers haven’t spoken to Boone’s agent, but if it is, I wonder why the 49ers front office didn’t object to the report sooner. All high profile entities now use social media to do damage control. In my mind, any false report is damaging. (Jed turns to twitter – but he’s bad at it). Anyway, hope Boone rots on the sidelines and the 49ers send a message to the rest of the team.

After the Vernon Davis signing, when Vernon was a rookie, the NFL owners hammered the Yorks for paying Vernon more than his “slot.” Jed learned a tough lesson – not to pay outside the comparables because it effects the “old boys’ club.” I think the same thing is now happening with Harbaugh, and this time I think Jed should tell them all to kick rocks, but this Boone situation could help the 49ers, and Harbaugh.

It’s widely accepted that the 49ers are one of the deepest teams in the league with one of the best coaching staffs. For the league, the NFL and the other 31 owners, there is no better team in the NFL for the owners to have a player holdout on. The 49ers have the players and the coaches to replace Boone. So if the 49ers can, like Harbaugh said, “win with Looney,” then it sends the rest of the players associate a message that holding out doesn’t work. If, like it’s reported, Boone’s agent is one of the more aggressive in the NFL, and their strategy backfires with the 49ers, costing Boone millions, the other agents will also take notice and the NFL owners will owe Jed and his 49ers a debt of gratitude. Or, put another way, Jed will have created more good will with his fellow cronies.

My brother and I were talking about the Harbaugh situation over the weekend and he said exactly what I thought the 49ers should do… “Tell the other owners to kick rocks when Jed signs Harbaugh to the highest paid deal in NFL coaching history because one of the other owners would have done the same thing.” Crushing Boone creates a little more good will with the Boys’ Club. But losing Martin for two months hurts….

Playing the twitter game for either side is ludicrous and only leads to idiocy both ways.

Boone is fully painted into his corner with no way out. And the agents Boone uses have been successful with high profile guys like Vincent Black Shadow, The Island, and Rowdy Roddy White.

How this works with a guard, and under the new CBA as NJ noted, is a whole different ball of wax.

Boone loses money with fines every passing day, loses a percentage of his guaranteed money, and loses his roster spot as well.

• Spitblood says:

I could careless about Boone and how this shakes out with Boone. He’s a guard. Easily replaceable. Harbaugh had Chilo Rachal at one point in ’11. Guards grow on trees. My concern is how this effects the other owners and if the owners view this as a win for their side. It’s interesting the NFL Network reported the Niners were talking with Boone. Doesn’t seem to be in the owners best interest for the NFL Network to report that.

Well, they did talk. But it was before training camp broke. Boone hasn’t said a peep in a while. Nor his agents.

I disagree about “playing the twitter game.” I think twitter and social media should be used to explain your side of a story…. briefly. It gives you a voice and allows for damage control. That’s how I’d use it. But the minute you lie on social media, or the minute your message isn’t clear or seems petty, that’s when you’re not using social media effectively. Jed York comes off as a petty liar. If during the Browns’ affair Jed wrote on twitter, “The Browns contacted us about Jim. I’d be a fool not to listen. Their offer was ridiculous. Committed to Jim and hope we can re-sign him soon,” then Jed could continue to use twitter as a defense mechanism. Now, however, Jed can’t and shouldn’t use social media because his credibility is shot. That’s not to say Baalke and / or the 49ers’ front office shouldn’t. It works if you do it right.

Well, that’s the problem. Most jump in too quick and fire off a heated reaction to something.

Then it’s regret regret regret. Revret.

Mixing booze and social media doesn’t work so well too. Ask Robert Irsay.

Ol’ Roger just sent a lengthy memo to all 32 owners. In it he sorta kinda said he may have gotten the Ray Rice suspension a teensy, weensy bit wrong. Kinda like Patton’s apologies (ordered by Ike)to all the troops under his command for the hysterical fit he threw at the delirious malaria ridden 104 degree feverish soldier in Tunis.
    There is now a much stiffer penalty for domestic violence in the NFL. I didn’t read the details. My brain fried about halfway through the legalese doublespeak of the apology.

I’m stunned that nothing has happened regarding Aldon Smith.

I figured they’d lay down a decision by last Saturday so the team could adjust to whatever the suspension was. THe big thing is, if this decision is after the final cut day, the Niners would potentially lose a player because if Smith is on the roster and cut day passes, they lose that spot because Smith would count toward the 53 man roster.

Still and all (but I highly doubt it) I wonder of it’s all time served.

Crazy, but possible. I’m of a mind it’s an 8 game suspension with 5 games as time served. 3 games.

Mark Fucillo had this to say:

Why then is the league seemingly taking so long to figure this out? I don’t have any inside information, but my guess is there is some kind of negotiation going on with regard to the number of games, and we’ll hear a decision by Friday afternoon.

I suggest this in light of Matt Prater’s recent suspension. According to reports, the league wanted to suspend Prater for a year, and Prater’s attorney negotiated it down to 4 games, along with no appeal after the announcement. It is important to note the Prater information comes from Prater’s side of things, so we don’t know for certain what the league initially had in mind.

However, if there is any truth to it, then I could see Aldon Smith’s representative working with the league on a suspension that upon announcement would not be appealed. That would remove the delay such an appeal would cause, and thus make a Friday announcement fine for purposes of roster cuts.

Kevin Lynch mentioned Friday as well, and it makes sense. The league likes to dump info late in the week, and the Friday before Labor Day weekend is a perfect opportunity for this. I would not be at all surprised if there was a 1 or 2 p.m. PT announcement Friday afternoon.

Certainly plausible, but I sure hope they make the call before cut day.

Wow, other than that pure luck throw, Blabbert looks like shit again.

You guys watching this?

Yup. LMJ looks good at least. He’s getting a lot of work.

Yup. Let’s get into the end zone here. Ohhhhh dumb penalty

Huh. Nice play. We did what teams usually do to us.

Frankly, the Bellis 2nd round match at the U.S. Open is more interesting than watching Gabbert play. She’s the youngest woman’s player (15) to win a match there since Anna Kournikova in 1996.
    She’s American, she’s darned cute, and bidding for her 2nd win – tied at 1 set each . She’s got my vote.

JJ – 1 play TD pass. I have the Niners on the PC, lol. Tennis on the tube.

Garbage time, but JJ looks pretty polished.

Ach, so. Bellis played a helluva match, but showed rookie nerves early in the 3rd. She’ll be back. She’s only 15, and physically her tennis was every bit as good as the vet Diyas.

ESPN reporting the NFL is considering lifetime bans for domestic abuse. What a complete joke. Overreact much? That reminds me of my favorite joke…. What do you say to a girl with two black eyes? Nothing… you already told her twice.

The game? What game?

Yeah, that’s about your speed., Spitty.

Goodell? Whatever. He gets to make this shit up as he goes along and reap his millions.

It’s all perception with him.

He may sway to perception and leave it at 8 games. And he’ll look even more stupid.

• Spitblood says:

To quote Chris Rock…. “I’ve never hit a woman… but I’ll shake the shit outta one.”

The Raiders, of all teams, showing the league how to get it done against the Seattle 1st team D.

The Raiders showed more offense on that opening drive than I’ve seen from the Niners all preseason.

Boom, bada boom, another Raider TD in a matter of seconds. Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Undead Al’s team may have finally found their sorry asses a quarterback.

Carrrrrrrrrrr! Another passing TD LOL.

It’s goooooooood to see the Seahawks getting their butts handed to them, even if it is the Raiders in preseason. 3 TD passes in 10 min of the 1st qtr. Carrrrrrrrr!

Another TD pass for Carr! I guess that’s only 3 passing of the 4 TDs. He looks like a man against boys and the boys are the Seahawks.

Pearl Harbor Day when we play at The Mausoleum. Carr will be the QB long before that.

After a real shakey start, the young LBs comported themselves pretty well. Lynch came on strong, and Borland looks better in coverage.

Best part was no injuries of note. I guess they feel that things are goo. I certainly thought Kappy would get work, but apparently they feel like he’s ready.

Got to say the red zone offensive play calling looked a lot better.

BLEEP practice games.