Your Brand New 2014 San Francisco Forty Niners

5 (150). Aaron Lynch, defensive end/outside linebacker, South Florida
5 (170). Keith Reaser, cornerback, Florida Atlantic
6 (180). Kenneth Acker, cornerback, Southern Methodist
7 (243). Kaleb Ramsey, defensive end, Boston College
7 (245). Trey Millard, fullback, Oklahoma

90 Responses to Your Brand New 2014 San Francisco Forty Niners

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Lots of differing opinions out there regarding the Niners draft. A’s and B’s to D’s and F’s. Frankly I’m confused. Not for who they took, but who they could have taken. While Jimmie Ward is fairly highly rates as a safety. he was seen as a mid-2nd rounder. We are going to use him in the slot, and the drafnicks out there seem to think he’s a better slot corner anyway, so it may work out. it just seems like a risk taking a guy like this in the 1st. They could have drafted a WR in Marqise Lee, addressed their aging D line by getting Ra’Shede Hageman, or even taken PR-risk Bradley Roby. A highly rated corner with DUI issues. But we get an undersized safety who will be playing nickel/slot corner?

The Hyde pick pretty much puts Lattimore on notice that if he comes out of the blocks slow, he’ll be passed immediately by him. Gore is definitely near the end, and I figured Lattirmoe would pick up the slack, but this throws that into doubt. No too bad as Hyde is seen as the best back to come out of this draft. Still and all, I really wanted them to take CB Stanley Jean Baptiste, who got taken in the next pick.

Center Marcus Martin’s a good solid pick. Another player seen as the best at that position in the draft. Goodwin’s gone and he’ll challenge for the starting spot.

ILB Chris Borland is a hard-htting run stuffing ILB who will fight to fill the Navorro Bowman hole. He’s a 1st team All American and has numerous awards under his belt.

Brandon Thomas is a highly rated til hurt red-shirt guard who will be groomed for Mike Iupati’s spot next year.

Bruce Ellington? Love the pick. Guy’s got speed. He’s an instant kick returner, and he can be used in the slot and as a deep guy.

The rest? 2 of the 6 stick? I don’t know. They draft 3 corners and 3 DEs on the last day? And the Stevie Johnson acquisition was fine on the face of things, but here’a guy who’s pretty self-absorbed, and didn’t bother keeping in shape during the last couple offseasons, and was thus hurt during the past couple seasons. A low-risk get, but with Brandon Lloyd, they appear to be banking on one of them sticking and one of them not. Guess I’d pick the younger guy, but Marqise Lee was there for the taking. Why not go after him?

So, for what it’s worth, I give the team a C. They got some good players, but I don;t think they really addressed their need for a big corner and a game changing WR. And they could have used some picks for D line help. Ian WIlliams is OK, but Justin Smith is getting old, as is Ray McDonald. It’s curious that they are banking on Dial and Carradine to come back from their oinjuries, but the aren’t sold on Lattimore it appears.

I know we have about 24 months before we get a sense of just how good or bad this draft was. but as it is, some curious picks.

• snarkk says:

I don’t know jack about most of these dudes, so I’m not going to sit here an pontificate and give Baalke a grade. From reading several sites, everybody seems to give the Niners around a B. Ok, whatever. The only thing I really don’t get is why they didn’t trade a coupla lower picks and grab a stud, burner WR. I don’t know anything about Stevie Johnson. They essentially got him for nothing, they gave away a 4th for him, then got a 4th later on, so they had a net zero cost to get him. He’s got a decent history, but he’s not a burner. My guess is they felt they got burned by Jenkins, so they wanted a guy that was proven. He is, but with some questions. Patton better show up this season, and make some noise…

• snarkk says:

I do like Hyde and Martin and Thomas. First two guys ranked at the top of their positions in the draft, and Thomas in the storehouse for a year, which looks like they’re figuring on letting Iupati go, which I’m not thrilled about. They needed to upgrade bigtime at RB, and looks like they have. If Lattimore is the real deal, he and Hyde should be solid for the next few years, and losing a tired end of the road Gore will be transitioned well…

Spit don’t put too much stock into what Mayock calls a 3rd RD Pick.
    Teams determine the value to their Rosters.
    Baalke stocked up on DBs, as many of us hoped he would.

You’re free to have your opinion on Baalke.
    If Ward produces, he’s a genius.
    If he bombs, Baalke takes the criticism.
    Thankless job.

• Spitblood says:

Thankless job? Are you kidding? The great ones are thanked. They’re lionized. Bill Walsh? Ozzie Newsome? Gurus of the draft? Thankless? You might be confusing “thankless,” with “If you suck you get run out of town (Donahue),” but that’s the way it should be.

Baalke already has Jenkins and LMJ on his resume in a short tenure. Ward bombs and it’s not “thankless.” Ward bombs after Baalke reaches and Baalke gets run out of town… and rightfully so.

Time will tell Spit.
        I’m not calling Ward a reach as you obviously are.
        For me, Ward fit the slot.
        The rest were all solid value guys in their slots as well.

Walsh had his share of failures too.
        Goes with the territory.
        Win more then you lose and you just might build a Champion.

Despite NJ’s inevitable sticking up for the love of his life, Trent Baalke (which was predictable), this was a horrid draft. Here’s what I would have done, and if you look back at my pre-draft posts you know it’s not just hindsight. The one thing I know for certain — without a doubt — is that if there’s a run on a position, you don’t get desperate and pick that position. Baalke fell victim to this circumstance twice. You go in a different direction. And if you are desperate, and you don’t want to find yourself at the end of the run on a particular position reaching like we did for Ward, you bite the bullet, anticipate it, and trade up – ESPECIALLY if you’re a Super Bowl contender (which now with Jimmy Ward we might not be).

Here’s what I would have done if I was the GM.

1.) DT – Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
    2.) CB – Stanley Jean Baptiste
    2..) S – Jimmy Ward
    3.) RB – Carlos Hyde
    3.) OG – Brandon Thomas
    3.) PR/ KR – Bruce Ellington

1.) Jernigan @ 30 – I would have traded up, but if I was stuck at 30, I would have drafted Jernigan to replace Ian Williams who I don’t think much of. I wrote earlier today that in the last three years our defensive yards per carry has gotten worse.

2.) Jean Baptiste @ 56 – Sure, I wouldn’t have created more picks for future drafts like Baalke did, giving this pick away, but our time is now and this would have landed us Stanley Jean Baptiste and potentially Jimmy Ward as well.

2.) Jimmy Ward @ 61 – Who knows if Jimmy Ward would be there, but Mayock had Ward as a late second, early third. Mayock’s not always right, but if Ward wasn’t there we could have gone Carlos Hyde right here.

3.) Carlos Hyde @ 77. Before the Niners took Hyde at 57 in the second, there was a slight run on RBs. My boy, Jeremy Hill from LSU was drafted, and so was Bishop Sankey. Baalke again panic’d and went RB when he probably could have gotten Hyde in the third, twenty picks later. Look at the teams that picked between 57 and 77.

3.) Brandon Thomas @ 94.

3.) Bruce Ellington @ 100. Sure, Baalke got him in the fourth. Considering the picks before, I would have been fine with getting my PR / KR man here.

This draft would have been far, far superior to Baalke’s draft.

You stick to your rankings and value when the Board changes Spit.
      If Deone Bucannon was the target, as he would have been for me in RD2, and he gets picked earlier, what’s wrong with securing the next best rated player at the position?
      I see many teams going for positions in bunches.
      That’s what Trading up creates, fear of losing a guy to another bidder.

Each GM has a Board rated with guys they value.
      A simple question to ask is, will my guy be there at our next Pick?
      If not, turn in the card and get the guy you want.

• Spitblood says:

The last thing you want to be is the last guy picking at the end of the run, and Baalke did that twice in this draft. What’s wrong with it? It’s terrible value. And that’s what good GMs do… they get great value. Baalke tried to get good value picking injured players and that’s looking like that strategy is backfiring and I’m starting to hate the strategy. He also gets value trading back into future drafts. But picking at the end of a run is anything but getting a value.

Rating the draft after it just happened is like all the mock drafting before it, fun for some fans but absolutely meaningless.

Who in the hell put the spurs to spitblood?

He usually spends this time every year making the case that there is no such thing as a reach in the draft, this year, it’s a bad thing again. I guess it depends whose picks didn’t make the cut.

It’s all funny to me. The pros who have done this shit all their lives don’t know a thing about how or why it goes like it goes, but for some reason ALL the freakin’ bloggers in the universe do know and know better than anybody in the arena making millions from an NFL team owner to make the tough choices for all the know-it-alls to pick apart.

I think the trick is to bluster and blab about as many choices and players as possible and then crow about the ones that came close and forget or deny the many more that never work out. Funny shit, no?

NJ49er, I see a couple of our draft picks you had on the list you posted the other night. Ward and Martin? Keep up the good work. Hard to know what influences Baalke but it’s hard to knock it until a few years have passed.

Thanks NoFear49er, I had a few that made the cut.
      Ellington, Dontae Johnson, Trey Millard all got Drafted.
      I also see they grabbed LJ McCray as an UDFA.

Always a crap-shoot with the Draft process, see what happens.

Loved the Carlos Hyde and Brandon Thomas picks too.
      Never thought we’d see them where they got selected.

As I’ve been debating with Spit, it’s all about value and filling needs.
      We’re fortunate now that none of these guys have to step in immediately.
      Time to develop them and create some Camp competition to earn their spots.

I tagged Ellington as Odell-Light, figuring we’d miss on Odell.
        From a stats perspective, they were extremely close.

I am disappointed that we didn’t get Larry Webster.
        Detroit snagged him.
        I’ll be watching to see if he gets converted to TE from DE as I had proposed.
        Steelers and NYG grabbed some of my guys too.
        Can’t win on every pick.
        Fun to try though.

• Spitblood says:

No Fear: Normally I don’t think a reach is a bad thing. If you believe in a guy, go for it. I’ve always believed that. But add it all up surrounding Jimmy Ward. He was the last DB taken in the first round after there was a huge run on DBs. That should give even the “entertained fan” such as yourself some pause. Then there’s his measurables. 5′ 10″, 193? That’s great if we’re playing Pop Warner. Then there’s the competition he’s playing against. The Mac conference? Ball State? University of Toledo? Power houses, no doubt. And we expect him to go up against Larry Fitzgerald and Jimmy Graham in six months? I’m glad you listen to what I have to say regarding the reach, but let’s not get carried away.

• NoFear49er says:

Ha! It’s just sometimes you write something I can agree with. I don’t know who Ward will be covering but if he can slow the bleeding from an Amendola-type in the slot or keep guys from getting deep on him, he’ll fill a huge need for us. Unlike some of the latest “good value picks” we’ve seen here.

Some guys get it, some take a while to get it, some never do. But when a player makes good nobody says, yeah, but they could have got him a round later.

• Spitblood says:

Jim Harbaugh loved Colin Kaepernick and went so far as to say that Colin Kaepernick was the “best player in the draft.” And in my opinion, Kaepernick is better than the number one overall in 2011, Cam Newton. Kaep just beat Newton in the playoffs pretty handily. So there’s a lot of merit to Harbaugh’s words. If Harbaugh knew Kaep was the best player in the draft, why didn’t Harbaugh and Baalke draft Kaep where they picked Aldon Smith? They picked Smith first and Kaep in the second because they correctly anticipated Kaep’s draft slot and got value in Kaep in the second round.

Now here’s the thing about the reach. If you get even the faintest hint someone else is onto your boy, you reach. Being so in love with Colin Kaepernick after a guy like Peyton Manning was publically advising the Colts to draft Kaep as his heir appearant would have made me nervous, and I probably wouldn’t have had the stones to sit through the first round, hoping nobody took Kaep. But Baalke and Harbaugh did. And there was a ton of hype around Kaep. But Jimmy Ward? This kid’s a nobody. There was no Peyton Manning passing academy hype around Ward. There were no Youtube clips of Ward having amazing shoot-outs with Boise State. Nothing. He was a total secret. He was small. He was from a small school. He would have been there in the later rounds. Colin Kaepernick was a huge risk, and the 49ers waited it out and pulled it off. But Jimmy Ward was a nobody and Baalke got cold feet and pulled the trigger. It reminds me of the World Series of Poker. Old guys never win. You’d think the table would be surrounded with blue hairs. But it’s not. It’s kids. Why? Because the grind kills your nerve. It’s the reason guys like Walsh, Wolf, AJ Smith, Polian and Parcels can only do the job for so long before they’re moved out to pasture. I think Baalke’s been at it too long. He’s lost his nerve. It’s time to put him out to pasture. I’d say stud but I think Baalke’s a gelding.

Fresh meat! I hope they produce results.

Spit here’s an interesiting evaluation from CBS –
    Jimmie Ward got a B.
    Carlos Hyde got a C+

Select the 49ers to see all the ‘Expert’ grades –

It’s all a matter of opinion, until the next Montana or Brady surfaces, from the depths of the Draft Boards gone by.

NJ49er, I guess I should have studied your list better LOL. I’m thinking we don’t draft a Nix because with all the nickel we play he wouldn’t get on the field enough. Not like the Franklin days anymore.

I would say something about the Rams drafting Sam but I’m afraid Goodell would make me sell the team.

No need to study NoFear49er, loons like me spend way too much time ingesting data to pass the off season time.
      My Son and I have been doing this for years, it ain’t for everybody.

LOL about Roger and Michael Sam.
      All I care about with Michael Sam is that he doesn’t play well against us.
      The guy that does concern me is Aaron Donald.
      That kid is explosive.
      The Rams are going to be a handful.

As for Nix?
        He had concerns about conditioning from what I read leading up to the Draft.
        His bench numbers weren’t stellar either.
        For me, a NT needs to throw up some iron, consistantly.
        Guys like Larry Allen for example, tossing up 500+ lbs is almost a given, if you expect to survive inside.

• NoFear49er says:

I don’t know about Nix as the guy we would draft, it just doesn’t look like we’re in the market for a typical two-gapping 34 nose anymore.

Here’s something for the Trent Baalke lover in all of us….

Seahawks draft in 2012:
    1.) Bruce Irving
    2.) Bobby Wagner
    3.) Russell Wilson
    4.) Robert Turbin

49ers draft in 2013:
    1.) AJ Jenkins
    2.) LMJ
    3.) Joe Looney
    4.) Darius Fleming
    5.) Trenton Robinson.

Yeah NJ – Which draft class do you think helped their team win the Super Bowl more four months ago? I’ll give you two guesses. The first one doesn’t count. Trent Baalke sucks.

• Spitblood says:

That should read, “49ers’ draft 2012,” not ’13. But you knew that already. We all know Baalke’s a stinker. I don’t need to keep reminding you.

OK Spit – Point taken.
      We’ll see how the depth of our roster holds up to the test of time.
      Seattle had their share of misses too.
      Until they landed Russell and got over the QB hurdle, we hung with them.

Many thought Bruce Irvin was a reach when he got selected too.
      He’s no Aldon Smith.

Seattle chose OT Justin Britt in RD2 –
        Many consider that selection to be a reach too.
        Time will tell.

The biggest problem with Trent Baalke right now is that he’s just too cute. He’s losing track of what’s important. He’s smoke and mirrors – all hat, no cattle. He needs to get back to substance instead and the basic principals of drafting – or we need to find someone else to do the job.

Baalke is doing two or three things that are getting attention and some people are labeling Baalke a trend setter or a guy with some revolutionary ideas, but I’m not buying the bullshit. Baalke is drafting guys who are injured, ASSUMING those players will come back from injury just as strong and continue on their career arches? arks? they were on pre-injury. But that assumes too much. If the player doesn’t resume his normal career path, it drains a year of the 49ers’ resources before they know what they have. Let’s take a worst case scenario. What if Tank, Dial and Lattimore in last year’s draft all stink and we don’t know it until the mid 2014 season? It takes too long to evaluate. We lose roster spots, salary cap space and all the time it takes to coach ’em up in the classroom. That one on one time (regardless of injury) could have gone to someone else. And Baalke just did it again with Lynch, Trey Millard and Brandon Thomas. Drafting hurt players because they’re a value is going to bite the 49ers in the ass, and it’s Baalke fault for going too aggressive in this direction. It’s better to have them rehab on their own. It’s a nice story that we were able to help Marcus Lattimore, but to make it a policy is pure stupidity, and I’m betting Baalke gets bitten on the ass by his wounder warriors.

I also don’t like all the trading. I think trading out of our second round pick cost us Stanley Jean Baptiste. I’ll be watching him closely in New Orleans. I understand wanting maneuverability…. but to a point. There comes a time when you need to trade up, not back…. and back. The fundamental here that Baalke is neglecting is that sometimes doing nothing is the right thing. In this case, doing nothing means you simply draft with the picks you were given. It seems to me now that Baalke is more concerned with trading picks all over the place and finding the injured guy they can get at a value (and rehab) than the 49ers are at finding a guy who can contribute now and simply do a great job.

And one other thing…. if you have 15 draft picks, move up. Baalke is getting too cute with the PUP. 53 man roster, stack the PUP. How many PUP’d rookies have ever made our team? I can’t think of one. If you have 15 picks, package ’em up and get better players instead of playing the PUP game with the NFL.

Fuck the PUP. Fuck drafting injured players. Fuck all the trades, Baalke. Just go out and do your job. You’re too full of your own shit. You think it doesn’t stink. And you’re costing this organization talent. I honestly know (not think but know) I could have put together a better draft this year and I don’t have a scouting department. Trent Baalke sucks.

Compare the 2011 drafts, Spitty. The Niners did better that year. Whatever. Baalke did in 2012 what you advocate he does now. And that’s just draft at your slot. How did that work out?

And we usually have our LBs cover the TEs, not the nickel back, so we’ll see how that works out.

Anyhow, like I said, I’m concerned about the interior line and the corners. They didn’t do much there for my taste. They must really have faith that the 4-7 round CBs were as good as what they could have gotten in the 2nd. I don’t buy it, but it ain’t my ass on the line either.

Like you, Spit, I’ll be watching Stanley Jean Baptiste closely. I really think he’s the real deal and I think we should have gotten him.

“Frankly I’m confused.”….. Chuck musing about his state of mind. BLEEP!

• Spitblood says:

Each draft is different, and you need to be able to wear many hats. In some drafts you trade up. In some drafts you move back. In others you sit. Just because in 2012 we sat and busted doesn’t mean sitting isn’t called for on occasion. It’s like blackjack. Sometimes the strategy pays off, sometimes it doesn’t. But Baalke’s a one trick pony without much game and it’s hurting the team. In addition, I don’t think he makes good decisions on draft day, and I don’t think he can just go out and get a good, serviceable player. He needs to trade back, shop for value, find an injured guy….. He could have done so much more just scouting, drafting in his slot, and studying perceived value. I’m not a fan of Trent Baalke or this draft.

Chuck the knock on S J-B was his limited time at CB –
      Most glaring was his lack of tackles – 74

By comparison, (which I just posted to Skeebs’ site) are the guys we just added –

Jimmie Ward – 320
      Dontae Johnson – 201
      Keith Reaser – 158
      Ken Acker – 159

Then you factor in the Defensive guys –

Chris Borland – 420
      Shane Skov – 354
      Morgan Breslin – 77 (18 games)

These LBs are likely going to shake up the ST units.

• Spitblood says:

SJB can’t tackle. He had no clue how to do it. You can see that on Youtube. He didn’t have a lot of tackles because he was switched from WR to CB. He hasn’t played CB much. But, it’s like Walsh always used to say….. “I know it when I see it.” SJB has that “it.” Sanders couldn’t tackle either. My guess is SJB learns and learns quickly.

Sanders didn’t want to tackle.
        As he called it, ‘a business decision’

S J-B has excellent size and leaping ability.
        If he breaks up passes, his job is done.

He just has some development ahead of him.
        Since he’s playing for the hated ‘Aints, I hope he takes a very long time to get there.

Opinions are like ASS HOLES…….everyone has one.

The other thing I don’t like is all the smaller players Baalke drafts. I prefer Scot McCloughan’s style of drafting bigger players – beefier, more physical. Ward, Borland, Ellington, Lynch, Reaser and Acker are all smaller players. Baalke loves small guys – LMJ, Hunter and Jenkins? Trust me, Baalke is driving this team into the ground…. slowly.

Mel Kuiper grades the 49ers draft…… A
    Spitfire grades…….F
    Chuck grades……..C

Spit the simple answer is this.
    We’re stacked with starters, some carrying big $$$ Contracts.
    Additionally, there are expiring Contracts coming due that will impact the Cap.
    We’re looking a paying the most expensive position on the team with Kaep.

By hedging bets on injured players, Baalke gets a mulligan against the Cap while allowing these guys to rehab under the eyes of team Drs and Trainers.
    They benefit from film work, Coaching instruction too.

It’s part and parcel of working under the League mandated rules.
    Risky? Sure.
    You can’t predict what guys will recover completely anymore than you can predict a healthy guy to step in and contribute, (AJ Jenkins).
    Cheaper to risk Draftees that cost next to nothing then to back up the Brinks truck for an Albert Haynesworth and get shafted.

Baalke took value across the Board this week IMO.
    As with any Draft effort, it takes every guy they bring in to do his part.
    Will Culliver, Lattimore, Tank and Dial succeed?
    Camp will determine who wins the battles.
    Better to have some depth to test against, then to bank on a prospect that can’t deliver.

Buh bye Boobie, hello Carlos Hyde.
    Buh bye Manningham, hello Quinton Patton.
    Perhaps it’s buh bye Crabtree next year too, or Iupati.
    Baalke has Stevie Johnson and Bruce Ellington, Brandon Thomas, Jonathan Martin, Marcus Martin etc, waiting to make a pitch for those slots.

Guys on the bubble from last year will be challenged to retain their spots as well.
    You get 90 to work with now.
    Let the process take care of itself before you torch the newbies that haven’t shown squat yet.

Lot’s of job applicants look good on the resume.
      On Rookie deals, it’s a small expense for the team, a huge challenge to the players, to survive the TC process, while earning their way to the starting lineup.

Antoine Bethea is a Pro Bowl SS.
      5’11” 205 – Drafted in the 6th RD.
      Who’s to say some of these later RD selections can’t get there someday?
      Just like TBrock did.

Pressure is on Ward, simply because of the Draft slot he was selected in.
      By comparison, Jimmie Ward is 5’11” 193 and will learn alongside of Bethea.

Baalke gave them all a chance.
      The rest is up to them.

I know Spit – You’re entitled to your opinion.

Thought you’d enjoy this look back at 2011 Draft history –

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr.: “Jim Harbaugh found a quarterback he can develop with Kaepernick in Round 2, but even with the run on quarterbacks, I saw that as a reach. There’s a lot of development needed.”

CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco: “Passing on Blaine Gabbert and then trading up to get Colin Kaepernick (was a questionable move). They will now be linked together in 49ers draft history… They better hope… Kaepernick is better than the QBs taken ahead of him. That was risky passing on a quarterback at No. 7.”

Could Prisco (anyone) have envisioned Gabbert backing up Kaep?
    Could Baalke/Harbaugh have another diamond in the rough with QB Kory Faulkner?

Sometimes the term ‘reach’ just isn’t used properly.

I think I just broke my foot mountain biking, and I’m not joking. Going to the hospital tomorrow if it’s worse, and by the looks of things right now, tomorrow is gonna suck. I’m writing about this here because I’m warning you all — particularly Chuck — in advance. Any form of decorum that’s been established or even attempted at might be destroyed in the next several weeks if both Del and I are laid up with foot injuries. I’m just warning everyone in case it’s broken. This blog could suffer the tortures of the damned the next several months. Chuck might consider A.) shutting it down for a few months. B.) Banning me and Del, which believe it or not there’s a precedent for. C.) Just go with it but add LLC to the name “NinersForever…. LLC.”

Speedy recovery Spit.

Baalke will still suck when you get back to the blogosphere I’m sure.

Consider it done.

I hate the pick of Aaron Lynch. Just read he was kicked out of a combine interview for lying. That’s all we need. Another low character guy Harbaugh is hoping our veterans can show the way. At some, when the scalawags outnumber the officers, there’s mutiny on the bounty. He looked great his freshman year, but it’s been all down hill since then. He’s bound for our PUP. Just hope we don’t waste too much time on him. A liar’s a liar. There’s something wrong with that kid.

• Spitblood says:

Lynch reminds me of Aaron Hernandez.

So far I’d compare Rae Curruth to Hernandez.
        As for Lynch, angry pass rushers are the best kind of nutjob.
        Think Jack Lambert or, Deacon Jones, who Lynch apparently idolized as a young up and comer.

The trick these days is to keep them away from TMZ.

Ray Lewis was no choir boy either.
        Some, (most) will believe he did indeed get away with murder.

Skov, the LB outta Stanfoo, signs with Niners as FA.
    He’s kinda slow, but good size, really good instincts, he can play. Maybe a special teams add. There’s going to be a lot of LB competition in camp, which is good..

Definitely Snarkk –
      Skov and Borland are tackling machines.
      Pitbull brigade.

I do see them making it as ST staples at the very least.
      Even the kid from USC, Breslin fits that mold.

We’ll see how it shakes out over the Summer.
      All about getting younger, cheaper and more competitive.
      Need these guys to lower the Cap budget too.

Kaep needs an extension.

Terry Tate would be proud of the thumpers Baalke just added to the Roster I think.

• Spitblood says:

Thumpers? We’ve got a bunch of 5′ 10″ 190 DBs. Thumpers? Give me a break.

Talking about the short armed LBs that will likely make a living thumping KRs on ST units Spit.

Undersized LBs need some luv’n too.

Take care of that foot, we need to keep the Baalke Sucks dialogue relevant, until he makes a deal worthy of your admiration.
        Which, judging by the current state of affairs, won’t be happening anytime soon 😀

Seriously though, hope it’s nothing complicated.
        Foot, mouth or back pain ain’t fun.

And…let’s not forget, Darrelle Revis, he of Revis Island fame, is 5’11’ 198.
        Darrell Green – 5’8″ 184
        Pacman Jones – 5’10” 186
        Cortland Finnegan – 5’10” 179

CBs come in all sizes.
        It’s about the fight in the dog that matters.

Not crazy about the Ward pick as a safety although it seems he is going to be playing more slot corner which the Niners needed badly so it may end up as a good pick. Love the second day picks for the players chosen, tons of upside and value, the positions were not what I expected but Hyde was too good to pass up on reflection. Gore has 2 guys that are feature back quality pushing for playing time and Hunter is a very solid contributor.

Spit, this 2012 draft you keep comparing. Squawks were looking to find starting players in 2012 to complete their rebuilding of the team, something they did a great job of in 3 years. The Niners were fully stocked looking for depth, not at all the same issue. Now granted it has turned out badly, but it is much easier to find players for your team when there are big holes in it and much more difficult to find players better than your starters on a SB quality team.

Niners drafted better than the Squawks in 2011 and 2013 and maybe 2014 IMO. Peter King has an article on what Baalke got in return for Alex Smith’s 2 2nd round picks, DL Carradine, RB Hyde, LB Borland, OLB Lemonier, and a 2015 4th round pick is an amazing ROI. Tough to complain about that horse trading I would have thought.

I think the LMJ pick was solid. I feel bad for the kid that the coaching staff have not found a way to use him and considering his college output I don’t think you can fault Baalke for picking him at that time in the draft. I know I was very happy. 20-20 hindsight says he should have taken someone else because the team has not used him other than as a return guy in any meaningful way but Harbaugh said himself last year that LMJ was too good of a player to stay on the bench. Of course he proceeded to keep him on the bench anyway but you get the point.

Lattimore’s injury is what cause them to get Hyde, I did not realize how bad Latt’s injury was. some analysts do not believe he can make it back 100%.

I’m sure that factors in, his injury was horrible and Lattimore says he does not have the explosion he used to have, at least not yet. Either way Hyde is widely regarded as a starting quality RB and better yet he is a power RB with soft hands. Couple that with VD and Miller and the LOS is a tough place to be for a Safety and LB’s won’t have an easy time of it either.
      Playing time comes down to blitz pickup in the Niner scheme, excel at that and they will play.

12th:

No offense, but this is total bullshit…..

“Spit, this 2012 draft you keep comparing. Squawks were looking to find starting players in 2012 to complete their rebuilding of the team, something they did a great job of in 3 years. The Niners were fully stocked looking for depth, not at all the same issue.”

The 49ers have (and had in 2012) plenty of positions with average talent. Safety, cornerback, nose tackle … and on offense, running back, wide receiver, tight end, center, etc. This team and the 2012 team were far from having their starting jobs all locked up. You never draft for a backup. You are drafting for guys who can make an immediate impact. And that’s the biggest problem with Baalke. He doesn’t look at it that way. He’s more concerned with the PUP, or drafting an injured player for value, or trading back. In 2012, like NJ pointed out, Baalke didn’t move around much, and his draft sucked. But I think it’s smoke and mirrors. I think the injured guys and all the trading is a side show so we don’t ferrett out that Baalke sucks.

• Spitblood says:

And another point regarding you’re so called, “backup excuse.” The Seattle Seahawks went out and paid Matt Flynn big money. At this point we all know Matt Flynn is a backup. But after he torched the Lions backing up Rogers, setting all kinds of passing records, everyone loved him, including me (ABAS). However, Pete and company still drafted Russell who overtook Flynn by the end of the preseason, and Flynn and his 8 or 9 million were stuck on the bench. Are you saying Harbaugh and Baalke don’t court this kind of competition? That’s exactly what they wanted from Trenton Robinson with Donte or Dashon in mind. That’s exactly what they wanted from AJ Jenkins. Problem is, the Seahawks found it and Trent Baalke didn’t. And that’s exactly why the Seahawks won the Super Bowl and we didn’t. No other reason is as big or as great….

• NoFear49er says:

You think Wilson is why they won it all? Two words, Pete Carroll. Nobody else. I know we’re all supposed to hate him or be re-educated as is the popular cure to everything not PC, but it was the coach.

• Spitblood says:

No…. I don’t think Wilson is why they won it all. I think it’s a lot of different factors, but them drafting Wagner, Irvin, Wilson and Turbin in the first four rounds compared to us drafting AJ Jenkins, LMJ, Looney, Fleming and Robinson certainly didn’t help Jim Harbaugh win a ring. Pete had bullets in his gun from 2012. Harbaugh was given blanks by Baalke.

• NoFear49er says:

If it’s important to name a scapegoat, Harbaugh’s name fits better for what he’s done, or not done, with those guys and the guys that get on the field. Some even think, albeit outrageously, that certain of our players (under center) could have executed better.

NF –
        It’s not that simple. In year one of the Harbaugh regime, Harbaugh deserves a ton of praise (not scorn) for the 49ers going to the NFC Championship. He did that with Alex Smith. What else do I have to say? Harbaugh beat Drew Brees (who’d won a Super Bowl) and then almost beat Eli Manning who also had a ring at the time. I didn’t think we stood a chance against the Saints because we were so limited at qb. We got into a shootout and still beat the Saints. Then we lost to the Giants only after Alex Smith had something like 12 yards passing to his wide receivers in 5 quarters of football. Nothing for Harbaugh to hang his head about in year one.

In year two, I do think Harbaugh deserves some of the blame for losing the Super Bowl. I wrote about it the next day, claiming Harbaugh was too tight. Bill Walsh wore the bellman’s uniform and kept the team loose. Harbaugh’s ass was so tight deep sea submarines were trying to patent the technology. The team lost the Super Bowl because Harbaugh’s never won anywhere, at any level, and he didn’t know you need to keep your team loose before a big game. Hopefully that’s a lesson learned. In Harbaugh’s defense, though, he did make the switch from Smith to Kaep mid-season, and that proved to be a masterful move.

In year three, I think the entire 49er braintrust is to blame because they all kept aging players too long. I think they’ll fall victim to it again this year. In each of the last three years the 49ers’ defensive front line has given up more yards per game than the season prior. This means the 49ers aren’t infusing new talent. This means that as Justin Smith gets older, the line gives up more yards. On the flip side of the ball, Frank Gore was clearly done last year. If defenses know Hunter is the back for the sweep, and Gore’s the back for runs up the middle, the running game’s going no where and that’s exactly why we drafted an all purpose back in Carlos Hyde. Gore wasn’t able to run anywhere in the Seattle game because Seattle knew what Gore could and couldn’t do. The blame in year three, in my opinion, is spread evenly through coaches and front office. It’s was, no doubt, an organizational decision to try and win a Super Bowl with the cast of characters who had suffered through the Nolan and Singletary years. This was a mistake. In addition, if you ad Trent Baalke’s 2012 draft to the equation, I say the 2013 loss was more Baalke’s fault than any other one person in the organization. But then again, I’m a Harbaugh lover, and a Baalke hater, so take it all with a grain of salt.

None taken Spit. I disagree with you though. It is far easier for rookies to make a team with holes than a SB contender. I don’t share your opinion of the players in 2012 either.
      Just a refresher: http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/9/2/3286318/san-francisco-49ers-2012-53-man-roster-practice-squad
      I would say RB, TE, WR and Safety were well stocked, even C was pretty good at that time.

I agree with NF that Pete Carroll is the biggest reason the Squawks won it and the Niners didn’t. I rate the Niners talent higher last year. The bigger issue was the coaching IMO.

It’s not a “back up excuse”, you do like those one liners don’t you, try to reduce an argument to a diminished snippet. On the Niners roster there was 1 or 2 open spots, the rest is depth, same as last year and this year. Very tough for a rookie to beat out players of that caliber. Squawks lost some in free agency but they are facing similar issues now with finding rookies better than their own guys, particularly with drafting at the back of the order. Nature of the beast.

• Spitblood says:

I do like those one liners…. thanks for noticing. It’s a widely held view that the 49ers had a better roster in 2013. I disagree with that. The heart of our team was run the ball and stop the run. Seattle was far superior because of their personnel. They had better run defense, and a better running back.

I think the one liner is an art form, headline grabbers are a necessary evil. I agree Lynch is better than Gore but not that their run D is any better than the Niners who consistently deny 100 yd runners. i think it came down to Lynch could gain yards and Gore couldn’t.

Lots of things go into that like blocking for instance but the RB still needs to make it happen and Lynch did when they really counted on him. As far as up and down the roster I thought the Niners were a nose better than the Squawks but were slightly out coached.

Harbaugh and Roman need to tweak their scheme just enough to take pressure off the run game a bit. I can see Hyde doing the short yardage stuff initially and if successful, and his blitz pick up is good enough, he will get his carries too.

Beast mode lite is how Hyde looks to me, a power runner with some moves and soft hands as a bonus. If Lattimore is close to healthy he is a heck of a back too. Niners run game should be better this year even if Frank is really running out of gas as he looked in the last third of the season. Jewel Hampton is in his make or break TC so we shall see if special teams is enough for him to stick on the roster.

Speaking of Baalke, here’s what he netted from the Alex trade:

– DE Tank Carradine, 2013 second round
    – LB Corey Lemonier, 2013 third round
    – RB Carlos Hyde, 2014 second round
    – LB Chris Borland, 2014 third round
    – WR Stevie Johnson, trade from Buffalo

Pretty good return for a quarterback who was never going to start for the Niners again. Granted Tank remains to be seen, but that’s the deal with drafting formerly high picks that were injured. It worked with Gore . . .

• Spitblood says:

This is stretching it….. a lot.

Spit, just an observation. You are less entertaining but more engaging off the sauce. I’m all for characters on the blogosphere as long as they are not corrosive, as Bullit has historically been although truthfully he has tempered his bullshit radically recently making Skeebs blog doable again. You have legend status as a blog character (bad) but since sobriety you have engaged in such as way as others can participate. Just wanted to recognize that if it means anything to you.

• Spitblood says:

I’d rather be engaging AND entertaining. Your brain slowly recovers after you find sobriety. I’m two years. Maybe by year three I’ll be more entertaining.

Off topic but I wanted to address something NF had to say about Don Sterling. NF took the position that he can say what he wants in private. I absolutely agree 100% with that. I have first hand knowledge that Sterling is an asshole, but in his own home he should be able to say whatever despicable thing he wants too. We all have the right to privacy and our own opinions good, bad or ugly. I don’t agree with his sentiment but he didn’t represent the Clippers when speaking or any public entity. He is simply a product of a bygone age yelling at his girlfriend in his own home and that bastard bugged the conversation knowing he would lapse into his racial stereotype and had it released publicly. I have no sympathy for his views, but they were privately held and that I can get behind.
    Just my humble.

• NoFear49er says:

…and he has a perfect right to be an asshole, too.

This new explosion of PC fascism is absolutely un-American, or at least what used to be un-American. I fear it’s what being American is fast becoming.

PC fascism? As opposed to real fascism? With all the percieved injustices in your world, how do you get out of bed?

Christ, gimme a break. It’s not like it’s a surprise to anyone that this guy is a racist asshole.When you are rich, you can get away with it. Til you decide to tape yourself and it gets leaked out.

You heard of Affluenza? It’s the latest craze in court cases. As in Bobby’s parents were so rich, he didn’t understand the consequences of drinking, driving, and killing 3 people, so he should only get probation. Which he did. So, please give me a fucking break when talking about PC fascism.

In football news Stevie Johnson passed his physical and is now a Niner!

So far this year I have tix for Arizona in Arizona and Skins at Levi. Hoping to add a couple more games at Levi if you guys know any season tix holders who don’t want play off money for regular season games. The Skins game were $400 for the pair, still a lot but less than $800 a pair for the Bears game.

$200.00 per ticket? Where are the seats? Any good? Shit, I paid $85.00 a piece for 45 yard line seats in the sun last season. What a joke. I know quite a few folks who didn’t bother to re-up their season tix.

Problem with Sterling is, you can’t unhear it, or close Pandora’s box.

Sucks, but that’s the new world order.

Much like Nixon though, he WANTED himself taped, for whatever reason.

Beside that, he’s not going down without a fight. Guarantee that.

sec 421 row 17 aisle 1&2 Niners sideline view

Not defending the guy Chuck, he is an asshole, just his right to speak freely in his own home. New world order is out of line. I read Michael Jordan saying he disliked all white people, same shit to me.

Are those good seats?

I ain’t defending him either. Or ain’t not? I mean, his track record of discrimination in the buildings he owns is well-known, and he’s been fined for it. And it’s not like the other owners didn’t already know his views, so the perceived anger around it is disingenuous at best. At least from his brethren. The rest of the world is reacting to the shit he said. Shit HE wanted to be taped. The fact it leaked out lies partly with him.

He’s a victim of the PC world we now live in. It’s all perception, not reality. The fact he had a lifetime award from the NAACP should tell you something.

I think I stand alone when saying he doesn’t have a right to be a racist if he owns a basketball team that makes him millions, if not billions, over the course of his lifetime. You own a team, in the 21st century, that makes you that much money, you have no right to be a racist. I don’t care if it’s private. Makes it worse if it’s private.

Bullshit!

Apply those “lofty sentiments” across the board and I might be inclined to take you seriously. Give me a list of things we need to be accepting of and those we can’t tolerate. The world according to spit.

Of course he has a right to be a rich racist. Just like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the teleprompter reader in chief. But they stir it up and promote it for their own gains.

Your post makes my point of what PC fascism looks like.

If I have to watch an American flag being stomped by some idiot rapper in the name of free speech why do you think you can take a man’s wealth or livelihood without a bit of due process just because you don’t like what he says?

• Spitblood says:

Nope… the slippery slope argument doesn’t apply here. This doesn’t bleed into other areas of civil liberties. You can’t compare an NBA basketball team owner to a politician. If you could, we’d have vetted-out Sterling years ago. I mean, I guess you can compare Sterling to Jesse Jackson, but I’m not buying it. Sterling’s people weren’t enslaved. The attempt at continuing to enslave people psychologically through an old boys network (something Sterling was caught trying to indoctrinate his half black girlfriend into – talk about stupid) isn’t comparable to anything Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton have ever done. Is Jesse a crook? Hell yes. Does the apple fall far from the tree? Hell no. His son’s a crook, too. But Jesse and Sterling are very different because of the unique situation around Sterling’s ownership of a team that’s high profile and very public. Nobody else in America will be in the unique position of owning a basketball team full of African American men who the owner both hates and makes millions literally off their sweat. Throw the nation’s history with slavery and there’s no comparing Sterling to Sharpton or Jackson. You can try, NoFear, to muddy the water and confuse the issue, but at the end of the day there’s nothing this case can compare to that I can see.

Because it’s so unique, and because Sterling’s so high visibility, it’s a great case to make an example out of to further destroy racism in American. If you get rid of the Sterlings, you also get rid of the Sharptons and surely even you can see, NF, that Sharpton and Jackson both were created as an answer to white racism. Destroy Sterling – Jackson and Sharpton will follow. If you give Sterling his right to be a terrible human, even privately as the owner of an NBA basketball team, Sharpton and Jackson will forever remain. Unless of course, NF, you want Sharpton and Jackson and people like them to remain forever.

Now gays in America? I’m just not there yet. Those homos need to be oppressed. St Louis needs a lady’s locker room.

Double standard. He owns a team so what he says at home in private is fair game? Nah.

• Spitblood says:

Clearly a double standard. Nothing wrong with a double standard. Nothing.

12th –
        Do you mean like the double standard in our justice system where the rich like Sterling can buy their way out of any problem but poor people in Amercia are getting locked up at an alarming rate? Are you referring to a double standard like that? Like the double standard where our nation’s jails and prisons are lined with black people, but white collar criminals get a slap on the wrist? How many white collar criminals are in jail after the financial collapse of 2008? Double standards like that aren’t fair, but they damn sure exist. And you’re going to advocate for the right of a racist and claim “double standard?” You might need to open your eyes, son.

Do you mean the double standard where the rich can now not only buy votes but can influence elected officials on the quiet? Can the poor do that? Isn’t that a double standard? One set of rules for one, a different set for another? You don’t seem to mind that double standard. But it happens everyday now in America.

What about the double standard with taxes? If you run a hedge fund with Mitt Romney you pay 15% in taxes. But a guy like Robert Di Nero pays over 40% in taxes. Isn’t THAT also a double standard. One set of rules for one, an entirely different set of rules for another.

The rich have the game rigged, 12th. And you’re going to advocate for them? When someone calls Sterling out and says, he should lose everything even if it was his private thoughts and you cry “double standard,” you’re either following the rich blindly hoping to be one of them, or you’re just one dumb SOB. No offense….

• Spitblood says:

Do mean like the double standard where gay people can’t marry but straight can? One set of rules for one, different set than another? I can go on and on…

Here’s the deal…. double standards exist, and the rich, who use double standards to maintain their place in America (as I’ve clearly demonstrated above), better start getting used to being held to double standards themselves.

Jesus, Christ, NoFear. Overreact much? If forced to sell the team, Sterling isn’t losing his livelihood. He’s a property developer. He stands to make close to a billion dollars on the sale. Poor guy. Boo hoo. Let me shed a tear for the crack-ass cracker.

And no, Spit, you aren’t making a grand gesture here. There are millions of people who think a guy who owns a sports team should represent the team and the league with dignity and class instead of his 1890s values. Especially in a league that is by far the most diverse in terms of mionrities in the upper echelons of management and ownership.

Funny thing is, you DON’T have to watch that rapper, NoFear. Unless you enjoy watching shit to piss yourself off and thus work yourself into a frothy mess. Which I imaginer is half your day. Sterling is free to say and feel what he wants. Sometimes those freedoms have consequences. Duh. Did you hear him last night? What a laugh! “I only made one mistake in 35 years!” “What has Magic Johnson ever done for the Blacks?” “Magic Johnson should fade into the background. He’s an embarassment to the black community.” (I’m paraphrasing here)

The dude is seriously out to lunch. Due process? He’s not on trial for being an idiot, NoFear. He’s being told by his (hypocrite) brethern owners that they don’t want him owning a team anymore. Being an NBA owner is not a right. It’s a privilege. If they vote him out, they vote him out. Sure, he’s being crucified in the court of public opinion, but this is a league matter now. Sure, he’ll drag it through the courts til he dies. But to say he’s losing his livelihood is ridiculous. He fucked up. He’s paying the consequences. Don’t like it? Sue the NBA. I’m sure you don’t watch basketball anyway.

The heat goes up, NoFear goes away.

New thread is up.