Draft Day Cometh . . . Sooneth . . . Noweth . . !

Well, here we are. The 2 week delay had come and (almost) gone. The 2014 NFL draft has arrived! The prognosticator and bloviators had 2 extra weeks to waffle endlessly about their picks and locks and sleepers and duds. Bullitt had 14 mini-heart attacks as he formally protested in front of NFL Headquarters regarding the world-wide pain and suffering caused by moving the draft back 2 weeks.

So, what can I say that hasn’t already been said? Shit, I don’t know. I will give major props to NJ49er (and his son), our east-coast stalwart and relentless fan for his work in drawing up his draft board. His work is all-encompassing and detailed, and I always learn a ton from the guys he brings up. As do the rest of you. So , thanks for all your contributions, guys and gals (and lurkers). So, kumbaya, motherf**kers.

The schedule is:

• Thursday 5:00 PM – ESPN & NFL Network – Round 1
  • Friday 3:30 pm – ESPN & NFL Network – Rounds 2-3
  • Saturday 9:00 AM – ESPN & NFL Network – Rounds 4-7

(All times pacific)

One stinking round the first day. That’s pretty lame. But it plays into the fact that Jolly Roger wants to stretch this out even longer next year.

Anyhow, for shits and giggles, how about we do a Top 10 picks in the draft?

After minutes of hard work and thought, heeeeeeeeere’s mine:

1. Houston – Jadaveon Clowney. Best pass rusher ever out of the draft? Meh.
  2. St. Louie – Jake Matthews.  Terrible protection has to get better now for the Rams.
  3. Jax – Khalil Mack. Possibly the best guy in the draft.
  4. Cleveland – Sammy Watkins. They’ll get Bridgewater to throw to him later.
  5. Cracktown – Mike Evans. As much as they should build from within and draft T Greg Robinson, they can’t pass up ion a big fast WR.
  6. Atlanta – Taylor Lewan. Not sexy, but Atl has 10 picks and needs to shore up their line.
  7.  Tampax Bag – Blake Bortles. Johnny Football hype aside, Bortles is the mosat complete QB and should be good from the start.
  8. Minnehaha – Aaron Donald. They’ve been all over this guy for weeks now.
  9. Buffalo – Odell Beckham. EJ looked pretty good last year. They need a playmaker for him. ODB fits the bill. Hate to see him go before we get a shot.
  10. Deetroit – Who cares? Anyway, the underachievers don’t need CBs so they pick the next best idea and grab TE Eric Ebron.

I think the Niners are definitely going to trade up. I just wonder how high. Trading with Balt at 17 is a possiblilty for the reasons already discussed. Walterfootball has us trading up to 11 with Tennessee. And picking ODB. Yowza. Dennis would drop dead on the spot. If we DO trade up that high, I’d rather get  Justin Gilbert or Kyle Fuller. Thing is, though, even if they trade to 17 for a better price, they can still grab someone like Dennard, or even one of the 2 guys above.

So, lemme know who you think your top 10 picks are.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

85 Responses to Draft Day Cometh . . . Sooneth . . . Noweth . . !

If you happen to be lounging at home today, the NFL Network pre-draft show starts in 30 minutes. So, get ready for 7 hours of the same drivel of the past 4 months condensed down and packed into a marathon of endless speculation. Criminy, bring it on already.

2. You’re right. I would drop dead on the spot in that scenario. Trade all that way up to draft a WR for a team that ran the ball 52% of its offensive plays. Highest in the league. Stroke would be inevitable.

3. I’m not even factoring in where he would fall in on the depth chart, playing time and actual targets seen this year. When he does hit the field he’ll be asked to block the opposing corner 52% of the time just like our other WRs.

Baalke wouldn’t do that to me. He can’t. I’m begging ya Trent. Please don’t.

I want defense! The best the Niners can get.

Yeah, unless we really start using 3 WR formations on more that just 3rd down, don’t bother with a WR til the 3rd round.

6. ESPN just showed a clip of the guy Matt Barrow’s wants — Cody Latimer, WR from IND. He was in hi dressing room picking out his outfit for tonight. He was holding purple alligator shoes and wearing a diamond bracelet so big that it could double as Marmaduke’s collar.

Hell no!

Barrows also like CJ Spiller. Grant Cohn liked Fleener. These guys are chumps. I should contact the SJ Merc and create my own blog. I know more than these guys. It’d be a smash now that I’m not smashed. I’d have a woodshed room. Just for fun. When a fight breaks out you take it to the woodshed.

8. Since Chuck ask, here’s my top 10 picks. We eerily have some matches, but how the hell did you leave the best OT, Greg Robinson off of your list?

1. Houston — Clowney. Don’t over think things here.
    2. Rams — Robinson. Thinking they get Johnny Football at 13 now. Rams in the SB.
    3. Jags — Sammy Watkins. Taking a WR 3rd overall is why they are, and shall remain the Jags.
    4. Browns — Mack. Consider JF, but take take in their mind the BPA.
    5. Raiders — Mike Evans. Schaub needs a target to miss on his next PK 6.
    6. Falcons — Jake Matthews. No brainer. Keep Matty Stinks on Ice upright.
    7. Bucs — T. Lewan. Johnny Football falling like a stone. Bad for us.
    8. Vikings — Aaron Donald. They can wait on a QB. Their defense needs it more.
    9. Bills — Beckham Jr. I jump for joy when it’s not us selecting him at 9.
    10. Lions — After failing to trade up to draft a WR, they win with Justin Gilbert at CB.

9. I’m the guy over thinking things. Just yesterday I thought it was a lock JF would go before pk 5, now I have him sliding to the Rams at 13. I need to adhere to one of my favorite credos.

I don’t get paid to think. Therefore I don’t.

Come on Spitty. Time’s running out. Give it a shot. I’d ask NoFear but he’s not one for silly games.

11. I can’t help but get excited on Draft Day. But it was better in the old days when it was just held on the weekend. And it was better before all of the over saturation with information. I had the Chronicle, USA today and Sporting News sprawled out on the coffee table. That was all the draft info I could find. And truth be told, needed.

12. Johnny Football got roundly booed as he was introduced to take the stage.
    Gotta love those NY fans. They let their feelings be known. After the Niners, I anticipate the Jets’ and Giants’ selections the most. Love to see their fans rant and rave. Even better is catching them with the reaction, “Who?”

Hadf bortles at 7

14. Did not see the Jags taking Bortels at 3 at all. And then the Bills traded up and didn’t take their hometown boy in Mack? Floored back-to-back on those selections. That’s what makes the draft so great.

15. Buffalo surrendered their 1st and 4th rd pks next yr to move up 5 spots to draft a WR.
    The future president of the United States doesn’t have to worry about the Bills contending.

Mooks.

16. I thought for sure when I initially saw the Bills trade they would take their hometown boy in Mack. Instead they gave away pks for a WR who played warm-weather games at Clemson.
    Welcome to Buffalo, Sammy.

17. Now CLE moves up one spot (extra 5th rd) and drafts a CB in Gilbert?
    I don’t know what the fuck is going on any more. And the vodka has nothing to do with it.

Gilbert to the Browns, makes their back field better. Irish Kevin was hoping to get Gilbert IIRC.

19. And DET selects a TE with their first pk. Might as well have been another WR selection for them. Is it any wonder why that franchise has yet to sniff a Super Bowl.

20. Odell goes to NYG at 12. Thank Christ. That’s a load off.

Damn… Fuller gone. I don’t think we trade up anymore unless Baalke sees a NT to go after. I think we now go NT or even safety in the first….. maybe even running back? Benjamin?

Love….. love….. love…… LOVE seeing Manziel sitting on the sidelines with the tears in his eyes. Didn’t like watching Rogers sit and be embarrassed. But love seeing Manziel get embarrassed. If anyone needs it, it’s Manziel. Only way he’s any good in the NFL is if he’a humbled and learns to play conservative. That won’t happen with the hype of a high first round pick. With a high first round pick, he’s a gambler and pressing. If he drops out of the first round, he has a chance. But a slim one…..

• How bout if he falls to the Chiefs at 23? You want to see someone embarrassed — again? Say hello to Alex Smith. No contract for you!

• Spitblood says:

I doubt Reid goes with a Gambler. I think Vick killed all the gamble in Reid. I could see Manziel going to the Cardinals and replacing Carson Palmer. I’d love to see Bruce Arians straighten out Manziel over time… and on the bench behind Carson. Arians could straighten out Manziel… but only if Arians was smart enough to draft a third qb with a ton of upside to give Arians leverage.

• RB with our first pk? Chuck obviously gave you the remainder of the crack you said he was smoking. None chance.

22. I’m now worried ARZ might snag Johnny Football at 20. Believe you me, Spit.
    We’ll live to regret it.

Good… Cooks is gone. Now the only other midget we need to dodge is Archer.

Guys still on the board who intrigue me….. Ha Ha Clinton -Dix (safety) any NT who can penetrate like Ron Jeremy, and even K Benjamin to drive Del insane…. or more insane…. or over the edge… or more over the edge.

Two best reactions so far…. Kahil Mack and Ha Ha Clinton -Dix. “Wait… what? I’m going where? Oakland? Green Bay? Fuck me….. ” But, two good picks for both the Raiders and Packers.

Manziel 22, Rogers 24. Who called the Manziel – Rogers slide last night? I’m the greatest.

26. The Browns fleeced the Bills on that trade for Sammy Watkins and they still ended up with the best CB (Gilbert) and QB (Johnny Football) and the Bills’ 1st rd pk next year.

Grade: A+

27. Johnny (Football) to Josh (Gordon). That’s a JJ connection I won’t miss out on next yr in fantasy football.

The possible alternative? Kap to Kelvin Benjamin. That KK connection is ripe for some KKK protest. Where’s my pointy hat?

Damn. I thought we had a shot at Verrett. I think we draft drunken Roby or K-Ben.

Glad we didn’t go with Verrett. Too small. I’d rather have Stanley Jean Baptiste in the first…. or dread for Del…. K Benjamin.

Verrett would have been fine defending slot guys. Oh well.

Roby would be a PR disaster from the get-go.

Del? Have you ever feed the ducks when it’s dark outside? Benjamin might send you to the pond late night.

SJB was projected as a 3rd rounder, but he’s climbing.

Rich Eisen might as well suck Johnny Football’s dick right on stage there,

AZ with a QB? Carr>?

Damn it. The ducks go hungry tonight.

• Spit, my ducks still remain hungry. I still can’t walk. Not that you or anyone else gives a rat’s ass, but that’s the plain truth. Maybe next month. I hope.

• Spitblood says:

Well then it’s for the better. Benjamin would have put you in the nut house for sure without the ducks to sooth your ruffled feathers.

Didn’t see that. Wow. Benjamin before Lee.

Maquise Lee would be the way to go now. I[m kinda leery of USC WRs, but hey he’s worked hard to get this far.

Shit, think they trade out? At this point I woildn’tbe surprised Give Cleveland another 1st round pick. Everyone I really wanted is gone. Tuitt is more and more possible.

36. NE just did us a favor. Both Nix and Tuitt are on the board.
    Don’t fuck this up Baalke.

Is it Mayock’s job to cream all over every pick?

Think we take PR disaster Roby?

I have Tuitt over Nix.

NT or Stan Jean Baptiste? I honestly have no clue. None.

SJB flew way up the board. He may go now.

41. Jimmie fucking Ward, S from N. Illinois.
    Bad pk considering who was left on the board.

Jimmy Ward? Safety? You can’t even make this shit up! Think we could have gotten him inthe 2nd.

Horrible pick from Baalke. Horrible.

Odd pick at best.

I think he reached. Ward isn’t a bad player, small though and I don’t see a first round value. Wonder what NJ thought of that.

Not a great pick, but if you look at the way Pete built the Seahawks, he built up his back field, with speed. So we shall see

I like they added to the backfield but didn’t see Ward as they guy they would take in the first round.

Size and speed. Ward doesn’t fit that.

Shit. Woulda liked that pick. Fuck the PR noise.

48. rexcom says:

You idiots should know better than try and predict Balke

That you, Bullitt?

That might have been the worst first round pick I’ve ever seen the 49ers make in my lifetime. Worse than Woods, or Balmer or AJ Jenkins. That kids is small from a small school? WTF? You don’t draft that guy. Baalke might suck. Look at his 2012 draft and couple that with LMJ and now this?

You don’t draft a kid from a small school unless he was bigger than everyone else and clearly dominated. But this kid is smaller than the field, playing at a small school. And Baalke might have thought he could bulk up for a year or two, playing behind Bathea, but he can’t get taller.

This pick sucks, and Baalke is starting to show that he sucks as a talent evaluator. We can’t get the AJ Jenkins, LMJ picks back. We can’t get the entire 2012 draft back. And now we can’t get our 2014 first round pick back. I honestly could do a better job. Baalke is starting to show that he sucks as our GM.

Baalke over Harbaugh? My ass.

• Baalke over Harbaugh?
      No. I’d fire both those sorry asses together as a package.
      Who the fuck is going to play corner this year?
      Opposing QBs? Light us up like a 40 ft. Christmas tree.
      We *deserve* it.

• Spitblood says:

Baalke fuckin’ sucks. You can’t continue to compete for Super Bowls with a GM who makes this many mistakes. Trent Baalke is starting to suck.

51. Ward didn’t even work out at the combine because he had a foot injury.
    At least I can relate with another handicapped POS.

Trent Baalke is one bad draft away from sucking as GM. And this is well on it’s way to being that “one more bad draft.” Trent Baalke better have one hell of a day two and three. Right now, I want Trent Baalke’s head.

Trent Baalke wasted picks – The entire 2012 draft, and now our first round pick in 2014. It’s too early to tell about 2013, but it’s not too early to tell about Jimmy Ward. That’s a horrible pick because of his size.

Trent Baalke is one bad draft away from 49er fans calling for his head. Trust me. I’m gonna lead the fuckin’ charge.

I wanted BPA or hoped they would move up for a CB. They needed a safety too so a move up for safety would have been my second choice. Didn’t want a WR in the first round. Since they stayed put I figured they were taking BPA and I have a hard time believing Ward was who they considered BPA with who is left on the board so I have to conclude the brain trust believes Ward was a player they targeted. Every year they come out of left field with a player not really on the radar in the first round. They have worked out well except for AJ so I guess we should wait and see but it sure wasn’t a sexy pick.

• Spitblood says:

The problem is this kid’s size. He’s too short to play safety. Whitner got away with it sometimes because Whitner could hit and was compact. Whitner delivered hits without missing games. This kid’s frame is too slight to continue to deliver the pounding Whitner delivered. This kid will miss games even in a year or two because of his frame. This isn’t small school college ball anymore. We’re talkin’ the pros. No reason to give Baalke the benefit of the doubt anymore. You see his 2012 draft?

Trent Baalke just found us another AJ Jenkins. If the 2013 draft doesn’t start shaking out (players beside Reid), I”ll be calling for Trent Baalke’s head here real soon.

New thread is up. What. The. Fuck?