Well, here we are. The 2 week delay had come and (almost) gone. The 2014 NFL draft has arrived! The prognosticator and bloviators had 2 extra weeks to waffle endlessly about their picks and locks and sleepers and duds. Bullitt had 14 mini-heart attacks as he formally protested in front of NFL Headquarters regarding the world-wide pain and suffering caused by moving the draft back 2 weeks.
So, what can I say that hasn’t already been said? Shit, I don’t know. I will give major props to NJ49er (and his son), our east-coast stalwart and relentless fan for his work in drawing up his draft board. His work is all-encompassing and detailed, and I always learn a ton from the guys he brings up. As do the rest of you. So , thanks for all your contributions, guys and gals (and lurkers). So, kumbaya, motherf**kers.
The schedule is:
- Thursday 5:00 PM – ESPN & NFL Network – Round 1
- Friday 3:30 pm – ESPN & NFL Network – Rounds 2-3
- Saturday 9:00 AM – ESPN & NFL Network – Rounds 4-7
(All times pacific)
One stinking round the first day. That’s pretty lame. But it plays into the fact that Jolly Roger wants to stretch this out even longer next year.
Anyhow, for shits and giggles, how about we do a Top 10 picks in the draft?
After minutes of hard work and thought, heeeeeeeeere’s mine:
- Houston – Jadaveon Clowney. Best pass rusher ever out of the draft? Meh.
- St. Louie – Jake Matthews. Terrible protection has to get better now for the Rams.
- Jax – Khalil Mack. Possibly the best guy in the draft.
- Cleveland – Sammy Watkins. They’ll get Bridgewater to throw to him later.
- Cracktown – Mike Evans. As much as they should build from within and draft T Greg Robinson, they can’t pass up ion a big fast WR.
- Atlanta – Taylor Lewan. Not sexy, but Atl has 10 picks and needs to shore up their line.
- Tampax Bag – Blake Bortles. Johnny Football hype aside, Bortles is the mosat complete QB and should be good from the start.
- Minnehaha – Aaron Donald. They’ve been all over this guy for weeks now.
- Buffalo – Odell Beckham. EJ looked pretty good last year. They need a playmaker for him. ODB fits the bill. Hate to see him go before we get a shot.
- Deetroit – Who cares? Anyway, the underachievers don’t need CBs so they pick the next best idea and grab TE Eric Ebron.
I think the Niners are definitely going to trade up. I just wonder how high. Trading with Balt at 17 is a possiblilty for the reasons already discussed. Walterfootball has us trading up to 11 with Tennessee. And picking ODB. Yowza. Dennis would drop dead on the spot. If we DO trade up that high, I’d rather get Justin Gilbert or Kyle Fuller. Thing is, though, even if they trade to 17 for a better price, they can still grab someone like Dennard, or even one of the 2 guys above.
So, lemme know who you think your top 10 picks are.