Aldon Smith, Come On Down!

The Niners played the ‘family values’ card in their desire to hold on to wayward Niner, Aldon Smith. Casting all the extemporaneous bullshit aside, the Niners would have come out on the short end of the stick had they not held on to him for that 5th year. Perceptually, and from purely a business and team standpoint as well. I mean, barring the complete unravelling of Aldon.

Leave him hanging, and you pretty much tell him he was a waste of a pick, and the team disregards his stellar play for the past few seasons. It would write his ticket out of San Francisco and thus on to somewhere else. Most likely Seattle, as they would sign him in a New York minute. It would also look pretty cold to imply that they don’t want him around anymore. To his teammates and the fans as well.

The reality is, for all his foibles, he’s a very rare commodity. A fast, strong, relentless pass rusher who would command a hell of lot more than the $9.75 mill they just put themselves on the hook for for 2015. As much as I’d love to see him turn his life around, and I’m sure he can, the shit he’s done isn’t terribly bad, but he’s definitely heading down a rocky path. He’s young, and he has to realize he’s his own best chance for success, and also the agent of his own doom.

So, the team can look good, they put his needs ahead of theirs, and can deal with his situations as they come up. They are also availed of his talent for the next 2 years, minus the 4 game suspension for weird behavior.  Good move all around.

43 Responses to Aldon Smith, Come On Down!

YEAH!

2. You think 4 game suspension Chuck?

4 or 6. I really don’t know, but based on other weird things than have happened I don’t see them going too hard on something that won’t end up drawing charges.

4. Thus the safety -freedom to speak freely- collapses in the face of the one who shall not be named when attacking our common bond and supported by authority. When safety is demolished the people shut up.

And go elsewhere

You going skitzo, Phil? Lots of strange stuff recently.

Draft’s 5 days away. Here are some of my thoughts.

Our first round selection will go towards CB (with the 49ers moving up to grab one) with one exception only – if Baalke deems this a deep cornerback draft where he can get a couple of corners in the later rounds like Chris Culliver who he thinks can start immediately. Nebraska’s CB Stanley Jean Baptiste could be a Culliver type steal (without the brass knuckles, hopefully). Nobody ever really knows if a draft is deep in any one particular position. But you hear every year how deep this current draft is…. “the deepest draft in years.” I don’t think so this year. I don’t see the quarterbacks, wide receivers or pass rushers in this year’s draft. I think this is a pretty average year for talent, might even be below average.

Players I like at various positions are the following: Quarterback – San Jose State’s qb, Fales. I like him just because of his footwork. It’s the best I’ve seen in a long time. He’s the only qb in this year’s draft class that I like. Bridgewater, Manziel? No thanks. Harbaugh saying Fales is a top 5 qb probably means the 49ers aren’t going qb until the 7th round, maybe not in the draft at all (an undrafted free agent). I could see Logan Thomas, who everyone on this blog loves, going undrafted and him wanting to play for Harbaugh. I don’t think Logan will ever amount to much in the NFL.

For wide receiver, I love Penn State’s WR Allen Robinson in the second round. If that’s too early for wide receiver, I’d go with Devin Street from Pitt or Brandon Coleman from Rutgers in the later rounds. Street is better but Coleman is 6’6″. If Baalke drafts another midget wide receiver like Archer or Cooks, I’m going to drive to wherever the draft is held and slap the taste out of his mouth.

As far as running backs, I love Florida State’s Devanta Freeman. He could be the next beast mode in the NFL. He might be my favorite player coming out of this year’s draft. If the 49ers’ drafted him, it would make Spitblood’s day. I also love LSU’s RB Jeremy Hill, but considering all of his legal troubles, I don’t think the 49ers can afford another character project. But I’ll be watchin’ him in the NFL. My second favorite player in this year’s draft is FB JC Copeland also out of LSU. Since Spitblood wrote about him, his draft stock has soared from a possible 7th rounder to a possible 5th rounder. Just because the 49ers gave Bruce Miller a new contract doesn’t mean we can’t draft another FB. Harbaugh loves competition, and we did just lose Dixon.

For cornerback, I have to say I don’t like short corners…. especially not first rounders. Anyone remember RW McQuarters and blue Volkswagen bug? I still have nightmares. I love a kid with heart, and there’s no doubt Jason Verrett out of TCU has a ton of heart, but I wouldn’t draft a short corner in the first round. Kyle Fuller’s your first round corner, but you’ll have to move up to get him, and you better have a good pass rush because Kyle Fuller’s more quick than fast, meaning within 15 yards he’ll be money. But if he’s forced to consistently and regularly guard receivers deep in his rookie year, it could hurt his confidence. I don’t think much of the other two first round corners in Denard and Gilbert. I also wouldn’t hesitate for second to zig when you’re zaggin’ and draft a safety in the first round. I love both Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, and Calvin Pryor. We need a corner, but in my opinion Clinton Dix and Pryor are far superior players to Kyle Fuller, and it’s once again another testimony to GM’s drafting for need but paying lip service to BPA.

For linebacker I didn’t look. I think Nick Moody will beat out Wilhoite for Bowman’s job. Aldon will get suspended but figure it out unless he’s got head trauma. I can’t wait to see Moody next year. That kid’s a beast.

The only positions I haven’t really looked at are OG and DT. I will before the draft.

1.) Kyle Fuller (CB)
    2.) Allen Robinson (WR)
    2.) Stanley Jean Baptiste (CB)
    3.) DT ( I don’t know who yet)
    3.) Devanta Freeman (RB)
    3.) OG ( I don’t know who yet)
    4.) WR Brandon Coleman or WR Devin Street
    5.) JC Copeland, FB

This kid’s a player…. and he’s got a huge nose for the football. He might even go in the second round.

• I’m in lockstep with your top three picks. That can’t be a good omen.
      Who ya like in the Derby? Give me your top 3. If they’re the same as mine again, I’ll know the world be ending shortly.

• Spitblood says:

You’re in luck. I have no clue about the derby. My claim to fame is that I picked AP Valentine and Point Given to finish first and second…. and they did. I went out on top.

• I’m talking Derby you mook. Point Given and AP Valentine ran 1-2 in the Preakness. That EX paid > $80. Not too shabby. But for the love of Christ, give me a couple names for today. Placate old Del.

• Spitblood says:

I like California Chrome because the name implies steelhead fishing on the California coast on all the rivers I love: Eel river, Mattole, Van Duzen, Garcia, Redwood Creek.

• Van Dusen? That horse won the Derby back in ’29. Clyde Van Dusen, that is…

I think Stanley Jean Baptiste could be a first round talent. Probably won’t go in the first, but he’s got first round talent. And he wears #16. Can’t go wrong with that. Check him out.

I’ve found my DT…. He’s actually a DE in the pros. There are no late round NTs I’d draft…. even as projects. In the 3rd round, with our first third round pick, I’d grab South Carolina’s Kelcy Quarles. Sure, he benefited from Clowney double and triple teams. I don’t care. He’s got long arms Baalke loves (for the reach around), and he’s huge. Tank, Dial and Quarles can replace Smith, McDonald and Soap/ Dorsey. The announcer in this clip is smoking grass.

And I’ve found my OG…. or two. Gabe Jackson or David Yankey. Jackson is a high third round pick, so he might not be there when we pick at 100 (Goldson), but if he is, I’d obviously take him. If he isn’t, I’d grab the old Standford guard, David Yankey. Mike Mayock has David Yankey as his best guard in the draft. I love Mayock, but I disagree for one reason only – not a lot of upper body strength on that Yankey. I see why Mayock loves him – he’s amazing in space – pulling and trapping. But one on one, in pass pro, he’s lacking in the upper body strength – not that that couldn’t be developed. Jackson then Yankey in the third to backup Looney who eventually replaces Iupati…. ’cause you can’t keep ’em all.

Here’s my draft.

1.) CB – Kyle Fuller (to get him we’ll have to trade up. Offer a 7th and LMJ).
    2.) WR – Allen Robinson
    2.) CB – Stanley Jean-Baptiste
    3.) DE – Kelcy Quarles
    3.) RB – Devanta Freeman
    3.) OG – Gabe Jackson or David Yankey
    4.) WR – Brandon Coleman or Devin Street
    5.) FB – JC Copeland

Honorable mention goes to Fales and Jeremy Hill. The Niners can’t afford to use a high pick on Fales because of all the scratch they’ll have to layout for Kaepernick and Gabbert, and they can’t afford Jeremy Hill’s personal issues, but I’m a fan of both players.

• Offer a 7th and LMJ? We’re gonna have to move up more then one spot to nab Fuller.

• On second thought, that might not even bump us up to 29. LMJ?

Speaking of J’s, the original and only J worth his salt, Julius “Dr. J’ Erving just gave the command of “riders up” at the Derby. That was a slam dunk.

• Spitblood says:

I think we have to move up 10 spots to get him – around 20. Depends on what other teams think of James. The Browns, Chargers, GB and Dolphins could all use LMJ. He was a second round pick. I have no idea how effectively Baalke could spin Jim’s inability to use him.

11. Spit, I think you like California Chrome because he’s owned by a couple of guys whose barn in named “Dumb Ass Partners” DAP for short. The jockey, Victor Espinoza, will have a donkey on the back of his silks. How apropos…

12. For the record, not that anyone gives a rat’s ass or will remember…

This field for the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby stinks on ice. Going with the rail horse, Vicar’s in Trouble. He’s got a female jock, Rosie Napravnik aboard. And Rosie’s a redhead too boot.

Tri box 1,5,16,18,20
    Ex box 1 with those same numbers…

Good luck and enjoy “the fastest two minutes in sports.”

13. California Chrome won it. Damn if Spit isn’t on a roll. As he would say “Spitblood called it”. Now let’s see what his draft looks like.

• Spitblood says:

He was heavily favored, Phil. I only brag when I call the long shots…. actually, that’s not true. I brag about everything, but the long shots are where the glory is.

Final piece of the Wish List – CBs……

CB
    Bradley Roby (CB) – OH State (Wish but miss unless we deal up)
    Kyle Fuller (CB) – VA Tech (Trade up option Only)
    Jaylen Watkins (CB) – UF
    Jason Verrett (CB) – TCU (Good speed but small)
    EJ Gaines (CB) – MO
    Phillip Gaines (CB) – Rice
    Shaquille Richardson (CB) – AZ
    Pierre Desir (CB) – Lindenwood

Take a chance?
    Aaron Colvin (CB) – OK (Injury Redshirt ala Tank/Marcus/Dial)

Phillip Gaines is a piece I’d prefer in RD2 if we deal up for a WR in RD1.
      He’s got excellent speed and tackles well.
      He’s been on the rise too so, I’m not sure where he’d be expected to go.

As with all of the WRs and DBs, there’s value beyond RD1 IMO.

Hard to know what to expect from Baalke, especially with the smokescreen being introduced with the speculated Trade Up with Brother John.

I’d prefer to deal up for Defense but, can’t argue with Odell or Cooks I guess?
      Should be interesting.

Chuck, I like your guy S J-B but I’m figuring Desir a little later.
      I had them both rated pretty close and gave the edge to Desir due to higher TKL/INT numbers.

I also picked CB Dontae Johnson from NC St as a conversion to S. About the same size as S J-B with better speed.

Lots of ways to move around this Draft Board for Baalke. Depth affords him the chance to get choices in varying RDs without giving up too much in terms of talent IMO.

I also like the idea of taking a shot on CB Kendall James from Maine later on down the Board, if we pass on Verrett early.

Numbers are very similar between them.

Big difference of course is the level of competition each has faced to get them.

Another guy I like but had to leave him off, just to keep it short enough is, CB Walt Aikens from Liberty.
        Excellent numbers in all areas.
        There are a number of DBs like him that could be had on the cheap later.
        Something Baalke has done with TBrock and Darryl Morris for example.
        Get them cheap, bring them along.

Drafting is all about slotting. Get value where you can. Don’t want to reach.

Surprised Dennard isn’t on your CB board. He’s one of the better press-cover CBs coming out. He could be a trade-up possibility. 6′ 0″, 200 lb. Crappy 4.51 40 time but he’s got great instincts and closes very well.

It was a tough list to finalize for me, especially with the WR needs.
      But yeh, his 40 wasn’t too impressive and, I figured he’d be out of reach.

As much as I want the DB early, I’d consider making a pitch for Fuller or Pryor, maybe Roby if we deal up.
      Roby now has a red flag attached to him for off field concerns.
      Second tier guys will be there with the DBs, not so sure how to assess the WRs in that regard.
      If we get a shot at a stud WR or DB, I’d still figure the DB first.

Hey, we watch to see what happens when it matters.
      Anything is possible.

I’ve loved Odell from the start, if Baalke feels he’s got more value and we can snag him, why not?
        Should be fun to see how it plays out.

I also figured EJ Gaines and Phillip Gaines would be nice alternatives later.
        For Dennard, a 4.51 isn’t awful by any stretch.
        Just thought we’d have other options down the line.

Shaquille Richardson is right there too in terms of size and measurables.
        Either way Baalke goes, he’s got plenty of options.

Here’s the concerns for Roby –

Arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery following a bar altercation in Bloomington, Ind. July 2013. Was suspended for 2013 season opener. At Combine, had five bad attempts at three-cone drill and then walked away from drill. Needs to mature and become more accountable. Three career blocked kicks.

As 40s go, Davante Adams of Fresno State is a dead ringer as Crabtree-lite.
    Adams’ 4.5+ 40 will likely drop him down the Board.
    In terms of production, he’s sick, in 2yrs at Fresno St, just 26 games, over 3,000 yds and 38 TDs.

Wouldn’t mind one bit taking a slower WR with his production.
    Crabtree isn’t a burner by any stretch either but, he’s going to cost a lot of money to retain.
    Not sure I’d break the bank on him myself.

I could live with Adams. Damn near identical in terms of size too.

Dubs lost but gave a good account of themselves. Feel good about this season? Clippers won but really lost this last week. Now the NBA is going to appoint a CEO. How weak is that! That stupid girl on TV makes Sterling look like not only a racist but an absolute fool. His wife on TV rousting minorities out of their apartments is even lower. These people should be put in prison just for breathing.

Yeah, i feel the same way. Possession WRs aren’t that hard to find, and Crabs wants elite money. I think I said somewhere he’s the Dashon Goldson of the offense. He’ll price himself off the team.

I dont know that much about Roby but all I have heard is that he has potential bust written all over him.

Del – Just watched your boy, Joel Bitonio, on Youtube. He’s a beast. Watched him against Florida State and thought he played too high, but still recovered and didn’t get beat. If he goes somewhere good, his pro coaches will get him playing lower. He’s projected as a second round guard. I’d never use a second round pick on a guard. You can find gems just by studying and drafting guards in the later rounds. Hell, Alex Boone wasn’t even drafted. Larry Allen was a second round pick. If you get a guard in the second, you better at least think he’s a HOFer. The third round is as early as I pickup a guard in the draft. If he fell to the third, grab him!

Chuck, for what it’s worth, I’m having enough doubts about CB Bradley Roby that I’m pulling him off my Wish List.
    Red flags are too obvious to ignore –
    Going to elevate CB Walt Aikens from Liberty as a guy with potential later on down the Board.

Going with this and, assuming we won’t make a splash Trade up for Gilbert or Dennard –

Bradley Roby (CB) – OH State (Wish but miss unless we deal up) REMOVED From consideration.
    Kyle Fuller (CB) – VA Tech (Trade up option Only)
    Jaylen Watkins (CB) – UF
    Jason Verrett (CB) – TCU (Good speed but small)
    EJ Gaines (CB) – MO
    Phillip Gaines (CB) – Rice
    Shaquille Richardson (CB) – AZ
    Pierre Desir (CB) – Lindenwood
    Walt Aikens (CB) – Liberty

Take a chance?
    Aaron Colvin (CB) – OK (Injury Redshirt ala Tank/Marcus/Dial)

Can’t wait for the festivities to start already.

New thread is up