Down Around the Corner(back)

Well, if we don’t take a wide out with the 3oth pick, the concensus is of course cornerback.  And there are a lot of good ones in this draft. From top to mid-range to the bottom. With that being said, I hear a hell of a lot of chatter re: the Niners trading up. Mike Evans and Juston Gilbert being the recipients of our largesse.

God, I hope we don’t trade up. We can address a lot of depth issues with our first 6 picks, and we shouldn’t be bundling our early picks together. After round 3, trade back to next year, use late picks to move up, whatever. But don’t lose the 6 picks you have in the first 100. Bird in the hand, and all that. There is enough talent through the first 3 rounds to pick up some major additions. As of now, we are weaker since the tragedy that was the NFC Championship with the loss of 3 defensive backs, Bowman’s injury, and the impending suspension of Aldon Smith, and maybe Chris (Grand Theft Auto) Culliver.

The way to instantly get better is through a good draft. Baakle has been hit or miss in the draft. The 2013 draft is still a work in progress. Reid was the best safety to come out of the draft. V McD was thrust into a role he wasn’t very comfortable with, but he’s still looking like he could shape up to be a solid contributor.  The red shirt guys (Lattimore, Dial, and Carradine) may or may not be all that. They get their chance this year.

2012 was a flat disaster. No 1 pick AJJ was unceremoniously traded for another 1srt round flot in Jon Baldwin. LMJ wants out amid his not being used much or right, depending on your point of view. Looney is nominally fighting for the vacant center spot, Daruis Fleming has yet to survive a training camp, and the rest are gone. Cam Johnson did garner a 4th round (?) conditional pick in a trade with Indy.

2011, police blotter notwithstanding, was a brilliant success. 6 of the 10 draftees are still playing for the Niners, and are big contributors. From Aldon to Kappy to 6th round pick Bruce Miller.

Shit. Got sidetracked. So, who do we draft at 30 if we go CB? Since our biggest hole to fill is Rogers’s, we need a press corner for the slot WR. Best guy for that is Darqueze Dennard. He’s excellent at press coverage. Big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to cover most top college guys, he should translate well. Not likely to be there at 30 though. That being said Justin Gilbert is the best overall guy. He can play press or off coverage, he’s big and fast. Again, he’ll be gone by 30.

So who do we get? The name I keep hearing is Jason Verrett. He’s not a press-cover guy, but is an excellent zone defender. The best zone defender if you believe the clippings. With Brock gone, he could step into his role from the get-go. He’s right on the edge of being there, so the Niners could wait, or watch a team like NO or NE pick him out from under them. Kyle Fuller and Bradly Roby are a couple of other guys who may or may not be there.

Beyond that, I still want the Niners to take a shot on Stanley Jean Baptiste. Very big and tough, and plenty of football speed. He’s my sleeper pick of all the CBs.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

46 Responses to Down Around the Corner(back)

BLEEP!

Jed’s reading this again. News is out that the Niners are very interested in getting ODB(eckham). And to do that the Niners would trade up with Baltimore, and offer LMJ as bait, since Ray Rice could very well be in jail (or suspended) by the time the season rolls around, so they need a replacement. According to Eric Branch anyway.

Not crazy about trading up, but if it costs us LMJ and a couple late-round picks, go for it. I’d imagine it would be the death-knell for Crabs, but hey, the future is now.

3. Phil gets his screen name hacked/pirated thus interrupting his rant at the hater who shall not be named AND Spit gets POTD same day? Shit the old watercooler has been really humming around here lately. Fascinating. I’m sure glad we have another week before the draft ruins all the fun. Aren’t you?

Barrows echos Chuck but suggests a move up to Ravens 17 spot to grab Beckham or Fuller CB:

Whatever Chuck recommends any sound person would do just the opposite. And if Dennis recommends anything run for the hills!

There’s no way in hell the 49ers are going to move-up into the first round to grab a wide receiver when they just lost Brown, Whitner and Rogers. The 49ers lost 3/5th of their defensive backfield and people think the 49ers are going to grab a wide receiver in the first round? You guys are crazy. Plum loco. The 49ers saw this day of slim db pickin’s coming a long time ago. They were prepared for needing DBs last year and started the transition last year with Reid and Wright. Baalke knew over a two year span the 49ers would replace their entire secondary. The 49ers might trade-up for Kyle Fuller. Maybe. But a wide receiver? No chance. Especially not when they’ve brought back Boldin, Lloyd and restructured Baldwin. The 49ers are desperate for a corner or two. Not so much for receivers.

• If the Niners trade up for a WR I might have to visit the SF Gate and pull a you when we drafted Crabtree. Looking back at that 2009 draft class, it don’t smell too good. You have Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, DHB and the Butt Fumble stinking up the top 10.

• Spitblood says:

Looking back on that draft, I still wouldn’t have drafted Crabtree. I still would have drafted who I wanted…. Micheal Oher. I know old Blind Side has been inconsistent and now Crabtree’s certainly the better pick. BUT… it’s all about how you build and how much productivity you get out of players at a younger age. We got nothing out of Crabtree until we switched to Kaep. That was and has been my contention all along. You build the trenches up, then you draft a qb only after you can protect him…. then you start drafting your skill position players. If we had drafted Oher, we could have then drafted Demarious (sp?) Thomas or Dez Bryant with our Anthony Davis pick. Now I know people on this blog will prefer Anthony Davis and Crabtree over Oher and Thomas or Oher and Bryant. But the point is… we didn’t get anything out of Crabtree with Alex Smith. That’s why I threatened to burn down the San Francisco and got kicked off the blog. I still believe I was right even though I now love me some Micheal Crabtree.

If you have been saying that all along, why is the first time any of us have heard it? Crabs got better when Sing left. Look at the numbers, skippy. You cant revise statistics like you revise history.

• Spitblood says:

It’s clearly not the first time anyone has heard this from me. Del just referenced me blowing up the Chron Blog. That was because I hated the Crabtree pick and wanted Micheal Oher. In addition, I made a bet with Del that something like 5 or 6 OT would be taken in the first ten picks of that year’s draft. If Micheal Oher had been our pick, instead of Cratbree, I would have won the bet. As it was, I lost and shipped a bottle of Johnny Walker Red, or something, to Del.

Crabtree got better when Sing left, yes… because who didn’t? Everyone improved when Sing left. Hell, the waterboy had more spring in his step. The real improvement in Crabtree’s game came when Kaep took over. I think Crabtree’s NFL coming out party was against the Patriots. Nobody said it better than Patrick Willis when he was mic’d up on the sidelines in that game and said, “Looks like that boy [Crabtree] just needed someone to throw the ball to him.” That’s the best part about Willis. He was never an Alex Smith fan. Remember Patrick’s comments about Mike Vick in the media? “If you’re gonna get a qb, get a playmaker.” Atta boy, Willis. Tell it like it is…..

Well, if they feel they can still get a quality DB in the 2nd and 3rd, they’ll do it. I don;t think they will either, but hey, got to put something up there. I keep hearing Verrett at 30. Maybe they trade up for Gilbert or Dennard.

If Lloyd makes the team then they failed in getting a WR in the draft.

7. Did you know that today, Wednesday, April 30 is National Honesty Day?
    I wouldn’t lie to you. Honest.

Talk of dealing up to 17 makes sense because we cut off the NYJ.
    I had thought of possibly talking to Miami at 19 as a possible trade partner if Baalke was so inclined.

I’m still not in favor of jumping up for a WR but….Odell is a guy I’ve wanted and figured he’d never be in play for us.
    See what happens?

Both Beckham and Cooks figured to be gone for me so, if they like either, that proposed deal could make it happen.
    I’d still prefer the Trade Up for Defense though.

Puts some pressure on Idzik to deal up as well, if he thinks Baalke is lurking in the weeds.
      LMJ to Brother John is very believeable too in light of Ray Rice’s age and legal shortcomings.

Justin Gilbert is a little erratic but, he does handle kicks, as does Odell.
        If we deal LMJ, I’d think someone with Return skills would make a ton of sense.

If we were to get into the Mid RD area, anything is possible.

Guys I’d consider worthy of dealing up for on Defense –
        Shazier, Ealy, Aaron Donald, Louis Nix, Fuller.
        Be nice to see Calvin Pryor too.

For what it’s worth at this point –

Since being terminated as Cleveland Browns GM, Mike Lombardi has moved on to join the New England Patriots as a special assistant to coach Bill Belichick. Per ESPNCleveland.com’s Tony Grossi, CBS announcer Jim Nantz is a friend of Lombardi and told Grossi that Lombardi was the man behind the Browns’ attempt to “trade” for San Francisco 49ers coach John Harbaugh.

“Nantz indicated it was Lombardi who made a last-ditch stab for power by back-channelling the discussions between the Browns and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in January,” wrote Grossi.

“I’ve never had this discussion with Mike, but you know, this whole thing about Jim Harbaugh being entertained by the Browns … you know that was Mike being the one trying to execute that,” Nantz told Grossi. “That’s one of his closest friends, Jim and John Harbaugh. (Jim was) first brought into the NFL by Mike Lombardi. That was a real out-of-the-box move, just like the (Brian) Hoyer thing. That actually had a pulse. I think that was closer than we ever … can you imagine had they pulled that one off?”

Nantz said he would not “confirm” Lombardi was the catalyst of the deal that fell through, but noted, “Jim Harbaugh’s personal assistant was Mike’s son Micky. Jim Harbaugh was hired as a quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders by Mike Lombardi.”

If Lombardi was the front-office person behind the attempt, then it’s safe to assume this is the last we will hear of Harbaugh-to-Cleveland rumors going forward, since Lombardi is with the Pats and Ray Farmer is now the Browns GM.

Even though this article plugged in Brother John of SF –
      Good proof read on that piece huh?

‘Jim Nantz is a friend of Lombardi and told Grossi that Lombardi was the man behind the Browns’ attempt to “trade” for San Francisco 49ers coach John Harbaugh’.

I’m still hungry!

Lombardi’s a tool. Never trusted that guy. Nix is definitely worthwhile. As is Gilbert. There ARE so many good guys that one of them should be there at 17. It’s within the reqalm of reality that one of them could be there at 30. Doubtful, but you never know.

Which is why Balt/LMJ makes so much sense. If we can keep our high picks (give them, say a 4th and 5th, or a 4th this year and a 4th next) then this would be all gravy.

Spit, it’s funny how you say shit and then completely disavow it one post later. The point about Crabs is he got better when the offense got better, not when the QBs were swapped out. Crabs numbers under Smith/Harbaugh are nearly the same as Kappy/Harbaugh. Whatever. Even under Smith/Johnson (NOT Jimmy-Hat), Crabs’ numbers got better.

Crabs is fine as a possession WR. He ain’t worth what he thinks he is. He wasn’t in 2009, and he ain’t now. He’s the Dashon Goldson of the offense. Say he went to Cincy, Chicago, or Atlanta. Would he even be a 2 in those places? Maybe, maybe not. He wants to be paid like a 1 but he isn’t. Whichis why I like ODB(eckham). He’s the future.

13. JohnTaylor82 says:

You all need to get a life! Harbaugh with Kap and others have turned the 49ers into the team to beat in the NFL!

Is Flying dllldo back from the great beyond?

15. JohnTaylor82 says:

Unc’s blog is the best..

16. JohnTaylor82 says:

BTW, Who’s Bullit? Is he a 49er Fan who is clueless?

17. JohnTaylor82 says:

Philippinefan, with all due respect, Coach Harbaugh should be hall of fame bound

Oh boy. Dead giveaway there. I bitch slap him on skeebs so he comes here like a wounded puppy. What a pussy.

Poor little fool can’t help himself.

Dubs are gutting this out, Hell of a game so far.

For a team that wants to be tough, the Clips do a shitload of whining.

I really hope the 49ers draft Devanta Freeman, Florida State RB in the 3rd round. Frank Gore and Marcus Lattimore give me gas.

23. Aldon has to be extended/optioned. No brainer. Between NJ and Chuck, Spit & 12 I’m even getting excited about the draft.

24. philippinefan says:

I’m looking for some actual NFL news so we can get get some real fake screen names yammering about it. Enough with these falsies.

I hope someone is right about this draft so some serious crowing can occur. That’s what I’m looking forward to. Who’s going to be the big dog around here?

You must mistake this for Skeebs blog. No one crows (much) around here.

Especially when everybody’s worng.

Well, I’ll crow a little . . .

The 49ers officially extend Aldon Smith’s contract to include the 5th year.

They would have been extremely foolish not to.

Yup. New post. There was a lot of talk around letting him go . . . ludicrous.