What? No Arrests? Or Is It Drafty Yet?

I mean in the past 3 days. The only recent news is Kilgore Trout was cleared of his drunkin’ public deal. Other than that? Just waiting for the draft. Jason Verritt appears to be the popular pick in the mockumentaries out there. Plus my son thinks we should go with him.  Hey, he’s fast, explosive and athletic. I’d still go with Beckham given the shot. Since these never go how I ever imagine they will, except for 2008,  I wonder. The thing is, there are a lot of great players that could slip down to 30, from NT Louis Nix to Beckham to to CB Dennard to any number of other guys.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

41 Responses to What? No Arrests? Or Is It Drafty Yet?

Dream on……..BLEEP!

Beep beep yerself, skippy.

Niners not picking up Aldon’s contract for 2015? Heard anything? BLEEP!

I’d be surprised if they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. It won’t really cost them anything short-term. Then again, neither will not picking it up.

He’s in a holding pattern (so to speak) regarding his DUIs, weapons charges, and now this airport fiasco. A suspension is imminent, but we don’t know for how long. It’s a likelihood that he’s going back to rehab, or maybe even psychiatric evaluation. There;s something weird going on with him that is more than simply partying or having fun.

So, either way, they can bide their time while life rolls on (or unravels) for Aldon Smith. They can re-up him should he suffer his punishment, He’s a phenomenal player, one the Niners haven’t seen since the likes of another wacky pass rusher in Charles Haley. You know, the guy who took a shit on Steve Young’s car, pissed in Carmen Policy’s ficus, and nearly destroyed the locker room after a lloss to the lowly Raiders. The only one who could calm him down was LA Raider Ronnie Lott.

We all know what happened once Haley went to the Cowboys. It was supposed to be Eddie’s potshot at Jerry by giving Dallas their headache. Instead it paved the way for 3 Super Bowls for Dallas.

Everyone’s saying and reporting the 49ers won’t pickup Aldon’s option. I think that would be a mistake. 31 other teams would rush to sign him. He’ll definitely have legal troubles over the next several years, and he honestly might even spend considerable time in jail, but I’d still pickup his option.

Even if they don’t pick up his option, they still play out the season after the suspension is levied. It don’t necessarily mean he’s gone.

But why even risk it? They’d be stupid to not pick it up. He WILL get a job in the NFL after his legal woes pass.

They need to pick up the option or it will cost them a lot more to keep him, presuming he maintains his 1 sack per game average this year too. That is unheard of average. His option pays $9.75 mil in 2015. If the don’t pick it up he is a free agent and will cost far more to keep. Since they lose no money until 2015 it makes no sense not to go that way unless there is some other info on him we don’t know about that makes him toxic to keep, like a Mike Vick for instance.

The idea that the team loses nothing by not picking up the option is wrong because if Smith has another solid year of production per game and he is seen as a valuable player by the 32 teams, his franchise number in 2015 will be higher by far than $9.75 mil.

The problem with that is Smith may well be suspended for 8 games to the entire year. But yeah, I’m of a mind to pick his option up. At least you are telling the guy you have faith in him. Not picking up the option is basically cutting their losses due to what happens this season. Which isn’t know yet, and llikely won;t be known when the option date of May 3rd passes,

The question is whether or not the stories are true that the Niners are considering NOT picking up his option. They could be sending Aldon a message through the media but it would take Aldon about a minute to realize there are other options out there for him. The 49ers could know more about Aldon than is being reported. At this point, to my knowledge, there haven’t been any charges against Aldon for the LAX fumble. Won’t help with his other legal troubles, however.

Gun charges, 2 DUIs (one where he hit a tree) and saying “bomb” in LAX and being suspected of drinking before…. I have no idea how long he’ll be suspended for all of this by the commissioner, but I doubt he does any jail time. I think he’ll get suspended 4 games, maybe more, and then the issue is whether or not the treatment he’s getting is really having any effect. If the NFL only suspends Aldon for 4 games, I’d suspend him from the team for another 4, You might think that’s counter intuitive, but you only really need the guy for the playoffs. Personally, I think Aldon is going to have more issues. It’s quite possible he’s got traumatic brain injury like Titus Young (although Young stayed out of trouble in 2013 which suggests he might have other issues…. but he was out of the NFL).

If I was a betting man, I’d say the 49ers pickup Aldon’s option.

11. Isn’t it obvious? Not picking up his option is the team’s message that it’s not going to reward this type of behavior. Nor should it. If Jed won’t speak publicly, then this action speaks volumes. Is it a bad football move? Quite possibly. But is it a good and necessary PR move to help save face? Almost assuredly.

This team had a severe public image crisis. Shit. When word spread that grass was going into Levi’s Stadium the DEA sent out a couple of Spit’s black helicopters to investigate.

• Spitblood says:

“Not picking up his option is the team’s message that it’s not going to reward this type of behavior.” This is “old school” thinking that doesn’t work. Do you really think players like Culliver or Patton or anyone else for that matter will avoid trouble because the 49ers dumped Aldon Smith? I don’t. Aldon will cleary get paid somewhere else. All players know this. They know they’ll be given several chances with different teams. The players stay in line because they don’t want to embarrass themselves, or their team. When they can’t control themselves, again and again, they need help gaining more control over their lives. Dumping Aldon Smith does nothing to help the 49ers, PR -wise. It might actually do more damage to the organization.

12. Mike Tice has a horse (Midnight Hawk) running in the Ill Derby today.
    I wonder if he scalped the tix to his owners box?

13. OTAs start Monday I heard. True? Still time for one more bust from our boys

• Biggest busts of all time…

10. Heath Shuler
      9. Ki-Jana Carter
      8. Tim couch
      7. David Carr
      6. Todd Marinovich
      5. Lawrence Phillips
      4. Tony Mandarich
      3. JaMarcus Russell
      2. *Ryan Leaf
      1. Carol Doda

* Can ya believe that half of the NFL teams actually preferred Leaf > Peyton Manning? Ha! Too bad Rameses wasn’t around to kill the first born male child of those thinkers.

I know return you to “The Ten Commandments” (1956). It wouldn’t be Easter if I didn’t watch this biblical epic for the umpteenth time.

Nefretiri: Did you think my kiss was a promise of what you’ll have. No, my pompous one. It was to let you know what you will not have. I could never love you.
      Rameses: Does that matter? You will be my wife. You will come to me whenever I call you, and I will enjoy that very much. Whether you enjoy it or not is your own affair… but I think you will.

14. Nipper, put $2.50 worth of gas in your van and fire it up. I’m about to make your favorite dish — fried pork chops. Rice, cream corn and ice cream for dessert. I even have a fridge full of beer. I’m not for want. What could you bring? I know, bring the Niners a new head coach.

15. No atheist here, I’m fer resurrection = resurrection of the bad boy 9ers as we know them to be as now incarnated. Lead us to the promised land O Moses Harbaugh. Beam us up Jimi! Tis the Easter season to be merry.

That’s 4 mixed metaphors and at least one oxymoron. Arise!

Losing Aldon Smith in a so-called pr move would be idiocy of the highest order, Dennis. No player goes into any situation thinking, gee, look what they did to Pacman. Dude did time. Came back, scored a big deal. Look at all the juicers in baseball. Ryan Braun is a hero for God’s sake. All he did was lie through his teeth about the 1st positive test and get caught red-handed for the 2nd one.

No one cares anymore. Jed’s best course is to shut up and sign his extension. He floated the idea of not signing it to garner reaction, and for the most part, the lack of fervor around it means people aren’t against it. Unless he’s truly a whack job, he can keep his shit together and land another deal after a make-good truncated season this year and a solid one in 2015.

Plus they can act like they care about him. Which they do if he can get another 30 sacks in the next 2 seasons.

17. “No one cares anymore.”

Bullshit. I still do. Not only do I hope the Niners punish him by not signing his extension, but I hope Aldon goes to jail. Because that’s what he *deserves*.

18. One bit of good news for Aldon. Smith is not on the TSA’s official “No Fly List” after his false bomb arrest — with one law enforcement source telling us, “The no-fly list is for terrorists, not idiots.”

I’m down for the Aldon 5th year option as well.
    At least you send a confidence message without alienating him prematurely.
    If he sh!ts the bed again, before it’s time to get extended, they at least had the option to get his attention in a positive way, while keeping control of his future finances as it impacts the Cap.

Guys like Leonard Little did a whole lot worse and remained employed.

If the kid has any sense of regret, he’d be wise to show something between now and then.
    So far, he’s a few bricks short of a load.

His weapons and DUI dealings will occur prior to the option decision too.
    Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Who’s idea was it to move the draft back? I get that the NFL wants our attention and our money all the time, 24/7, 365. But they had it. The shorter period between the Super Bowl and draft gave us longer to prognosticate after the draft and before the season began, and that was a good thing. Now we just have Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, Del and Goodell to piss us off. Any equation that give us more Del and Goodell is simply poor, boarding on terrible, marketing.

Thank a late Easter Holiday.
      Radio City was booked for the Easter Bunny.

Goodell must get a major kick-back from them to host it there I’d guess?

• See? Don’t you see? The very mention of even Harbaugh’s name compels one to use falsehoods, poor grammar and fragmented sentences. This evil power that compels you, it takes over your corporeal being. It compels you from above. The one and very same evil power that compels Jim Harbaugh’s coaching…

The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!
        The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!
        The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!
        The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!
        The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!
        The power of Christ compels you…to lose every big game!

The Niners don’t need help at WR. They don’t even need help at corner.
        Hell. They don’t even need the new stadium. They need a goddamn exorcist.

• I’m pissing you off? Ha ha. My work here is done. Now pick that shit up.

21. Spit, it’s lines like “They need a goddamn exorcist” that are worthy of POTD.
    But Chuck has a hard on for me. Better me then that inflatable Alex Smith blow-up doll that he still hides in his closet. You think Chuck might have mentioned something by now. But Chuck’s been on “Otto Pilot” for a long time…

It was something about RCMH being booked for the Rockettes or some shit.

Dennis, do you remember what happened when Charles Haley left for Dallas?

Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

ANew thread is up.