Good News is No News is Good News

Well, the 49ers made it through the Easter Week with nary an arrest or terrorist threat. Halleluia! Maybe they were all sufficiently contrite, and are thus on the path of righteousness. Easy peasy. No need for suspensions. Thanks, Jesus! You da man!

Like they say, there are no atheists in foxholes, and no guilty folks in prison. We still don’t know who is going where when jail- or suspension-wise with Cully or Aldon, but our newly minted blog polarizor with the familiar name (yes, A. Smith), has a court date set on April 29th for the various charges that came out of his Animal House style party in 2012, plus the DUI single-car accident in October last year that prompted the rehab stint. They rolled those separate cases in to one bundle of fun set for next week.

So, at least the legal ramifications should be ironed out (plea deal for the weapons [fine, wrist slap] and time served in rehab for the DUI, promise to be a good fellow [not a Good Fella {see POTD}]) before the May 3 deadline of buying out his 5th year (2015) option. I don’t promise to know what they are thinking, but the scuttlebutt around the team is there are a few things unknown to the general public that paint Aldon in a worse light beyond the stuff we know. Their stance right now is he’s standing at the end of a bamboo bridge soaked in kerosene with a road flare in his hand. In other words, they don’t pick up his option. Which in my mind is stupid. They can make hay trying to rehab the guy (and thus still have his services) or let him walk with $3 mill of the Niners money in his pocket, and he’ll be free to re-start his career with someone else come 2015. And if recent history is any indicator, it would be Seattle. They would LOVE to do to the Niners what Dallas did to them with Charles Haley back in the 90s.

Culliver? He’s already got the hit-and-run pled down to a misdemeanor. The felony brass knuckles charge should be thrown out, or at least pled-down hard. He’ll hopefully keep his cool as the team comes back into the fold, so I don’t think he gets any kind of suspension.

Jed should just stay in the background at this point and wait for the legal system to make their pronouncements, then come up with a statement about the horrors of trying to manage 53 raging lunatics. Or, you know, a mea culpa followed by the we-will-do-our-due-dilligence-in-getting-things-under-control-while-we-draft-11-more-‘character’-guys-in-May.

80 Responses to Good News is No News is Good News

At least the turf installation went well. No turf guy got lost or got busted in the parking lot for drugs or a DUI. No weapons were discovered and no one lost their wallet.

• Spitblood says:

What a joke. Greedy government sees Aldon has money and wants some of his. That’s all this is. Greedy government being opportunistic. America is dying.

Pryor to the Seahawks? Nice move by the ‘hawks. That’s solid.

If the criminal conspiracy unit pursues this, then this is a sad chapter in America. What a fucking joke. All this means is shake-down time. Unless they really think Aldon, Smith, professional football player, is part of some terrorist group. Right. And I’m Howard Hughes.

We wanted Pryor? WTF? We had Temple Beth-El and 6 other guys, none of whose names I can remember, cycle in and out of the #3 QB spot. One of ’em was good.

• Spitblood says:

The difference between Pryor and Blaine Gabbert is heart. One’s got it…. one’s a robot. And when you’re talking second string qb, a guy who needs to win one or two games a year if the first stringer goes down, heart goes a long, long ways. Bono had heart. ( If one person plays a U2 youtube clip I’m gonna take a flame thrower to this place….. )

I think Harbaugh values an athletic QB more than a pocket passer anyway.
        Could’ve just been an insurance move/message to Kaep too.

For what it cost them, it’s a no-brainer IMO.
        He grooms Gabbert, Kaep takes an extension, Harbaugh Drafts a future project QB next month, thus making Gabbert the second coming of Kolb in a future deal?

I’ve liked Logan Thomas all along, still wouldn’t mind taking a chance on him at the right price.

Here’s my best guess at the QB position –

Logan Thomas – VA Tech
        Jimmy Garoppolo – E. IL
        David Fales – San Jose St

from Maiocco, Aldon Smith is in Santa Clara for off season program :http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/aldon-smith-takes-part-49ers-offseason-workouts
    Also Wilhoite signed his deal.

Exactly. I think Gabbert has a little more upside. Pryor may always be erratic.

Yeah, Logan could be insanely good. Or another Vince Young.

He could last til the 4th round? Some teams project him to be a TE!

Thing is, though, if Fales is there in the 3rd, I’d think the Niners would go that way. If someone nabs Fales before we do, I’d love to see them get Thomas.

Don’t know shit about Garoppolo. Except she was good in Dogma . . .

No kidding Aldon showed up for the voluntary workouts. You can bet Pete Carroll would send a private jet down to San Jose loaded with Adderall to pick up Aldon Smith as soon as the Niners don’t sign him. Niners need to get this guy in rehab again, give him bodyguards and drivers 24-7, sign him, and be vigilant. He might have to sit out half the season for Goody, so OK, he’ll be ready to play the next half. Get this guy’s mind right, ‘cuz they aren’t likely to find a replacement near as good in the draft…

Agree snarkk, Aldon is a very rare talent and this crap about drafting his replacement is hot air.

It’s all about perception now. The FO has acted like they are pissed off at him and don’t want to pick up his option. If he acts like he’s the contrite puppy who’s done rolling in dog shit and chewing up the furniture, they’ll act like he’s done enough to warrant the Niners picking up his option.

If they don’t take his 5th year option, the market price the Niners out of keeping him. Which is stupid. He’ll go right to Seattle.

BTW, Spitty, you can’t try too hard for POTD. It has to come naturally.

See Spitty? Just like that. Short. To the point. Pithy.

11. Yeah just be full of pith. You can do it if Del can Lord knows. Del = pith galore.

If Alex Smith is really worth 14 to 17 mil per year how much is Kap worth?

That would be Pithy Galore for you James Bond fans.

As I’ve said for months now, 18-20 mill.

I don’t have any evidence but I figure that’s probably why the talks are said to be far apart. Kap wants his 20 and Baalke see’s him at much less right now. Jed has said he thinks Kap should be paid as an elite though.

I figure Smith at 11 and Kap at 16.

Chuck, Garappolo is from Romo U, Eastern IL.
    Kid moves well and threw for a ton of yards (13,156) completed 62.8% of those throws too.
    51 INTs is high however vs 118 TDs.

I’d put him in the Russel Wilson category.
    Keeps plays alive, throws well on the run, smallish and just fast enough to be dangerous.
    I’d still favor Logan Thomas.
    Bigger, stronger arm, moves well.
    He’s a project though.

My people demand I get POTD here soon. My sheer volume alone with no recognition shows Chuck’s prejudice. I feel like I’m blogging with Governor Wallace.

Yeah that POTD baby! What a thrill and honor.

12th, Alex is getting a lot more than 11 mill. He didn’t lose the playoff game last year. His floor is 14 mill.

Yeah that’s what the article says but for me I would pay no more than 11 for Alex and 16 for Kap. I was surprised anyone is talking 17 for Alex, only a hand full of QB’s earn that and I don’t think he is elite.

If Dallas had a QB that wasn’t a turnover machine, they’d have reached the playoffs more than they have. I’d say there are 12 teams that would love to have Smith behind center for them.

Didn’t read the article. That’s just my thought on it. Even a ‘game manager’ as Smith is pegged to be is a rare commodity these days. A solid QB who doesn’t turn the ball over and is accurate most of the time.Top 10? Sure. He’ll probably get somewhere around 15-16 mill.

Superlatives for Alex would be “efficient”, “won’t lose you games” etc, but to pull in 17 mil I would want “game winner”, “makes players around him better” etc. I don’t see that with Alex even in his new and improved persona and Kap falls short in the “makes players around him better” category.

Jerruh paying Romo so much and deals like that are killing football.

When you see guys like JaMarcus Russel and Vince Young and Mark Sanchez and Blaine Gabbert and Sam Bradford even, score huge deals, then a guy like Alex Smith gains a ton of value. He’s not ‘elite’ but at this point, I’d put him above Cutler and Romo certainly.

ALL the QBs in the 70s were ‘game managers.’ Up to and including Terry Bradshaw. Shit, he’d throw 18 passes a game.

It’s the same with Kappy. There are 15 teams that will throw 20 mill at him NOW given the shot. That’s the going rate to pay good QBs in the league. Again, is Kappy top 10 material? I think so. Ergo you have to pay to keep him. The market sets the price. Thank Virginia McCaskey and Jerry Jerkoff for the dilemma. The Niners are along for the ride. Pay now, or see the franchise sink into obscurity as they scramble to develop a new starting QB from scratch. I mean if we are banking on Gabby, we’re fucked.

“We’re fucked” says Chuck in a foxhole with his pal Dennis. “SHIT” and he’s out of ammo! What’s a guy to do? Stay tuned till the next segment of THIS IS CRAP or how “the franchise sinks into obscurity” the Raiders way.

I wouldn’t pay Alex a plug nickle. Know why? Because the game’s about Super Bowls. Worst qb to win a Super Bowl since Trent Dilfer (an era now long gone) is Joe Flacco, and Joe just happened to get really hot during that Super Bowl run (probably because he was afraid Ray Lewis would shank him). Alex won’t win a Super Bowl. Never.

Neither will Cutler, Romo, or any number of guys.

That’s not the argument, skippy. That being said, I think KC stands a better chance of winning it all than Dallas or Chi-town. KC has a decent defense. Jerry’s Kids, and Da Bearsss aren’t even close defensively.

There are players that are good enough to win with and there are a smaller number of players that you win because of. Alex is the former and Romo is the latter. You pay on a different scale for the those guys.

• Spitblood says:

This is all wrong. 110% incorrect. First off, we’re talking qbs here. Not “players.” A qb can’t just be apart of the team – one of the guys. He needs to be a leader, with accuracy, poise and heart…. and he needs to protect the football.

Alex Smith is not accurate on long range passes, and he’s not poised in big games. I also don’t believe Alex Smith is a true leader. Sure. He says all the right things, but did he inspire the greats on the team like Willis and Crabtree? I don’t think so. Leaders inspire the best players on the team. Smith, however, does have heart and he protects the football, but that’s only half the equation so, as you say, NoFear, he’s not one of those guys, “Good enough to win with,” and certain not a guy you “win because of.” Alex Smith is neither.

And Tony Romo? I’d much rather have Alex Smith because Alex Smith protects the football and has heart. Romo is the lion in the wizard of Oz. No heart. He can’t protect the football, and in crutch time we’ve all seen him lose poise and turn the ball over with a lack of accuracy. If I was starting my own team, I wouldn’t let Tony Romo be my waterboy. Failings like those are contagious…. ask Jerry Jones.

NoFear, you think Romo’s worth what he’s getting? Now that’s funny. Name a big game that Romo won. He hasn’t done anything resembling the Saints playoff game that ALex put together. Let alone the playoff loss last year.

I think Romo had some MUCH better teams than Alex did. Did he raise them to the promised land? No. Thing is, Alex has steadily improved over the years. Romo’s been floundering in mediocrity for the last 4 years. Good to see you keep that torch lit for ol’ Tony.

Romo’s lost what, 6 win-and-you’re-in-the-playoffs reg season games? Stellar. Yeah, name some important games they won because of Ms. September.

Russel Wilson files for divorce from his wife. Big contract coming up? That would have to be some fine-ass puttinany to keep around.

Spit, I think KC prefers Smith to Cassell, eh?

Even if more than half of this is Reid over Crennel, Smith is still a hell of a lot better than 20+ other starters.

• Spitblood says:

Yeah, but you don’t get stuck with one qb, paying him big when you know he can’t win it all. You keep turning over the position until you find someone you think you can compete for Super Bowls with. It’s all about heart and poise…. and ball control.

No potd there. That’s just lunacy. What is their option? Draft 7 QBs?

Now THAT’S gold . . .

• Spitblood says:

Are you kidding? So if we were racing for Super Bowl rings and you had your team, and I had mine, you’d sign Alex Smith to a five year deal? Sounds great to me ’cause I’d win the race.

So, Crennell’s your guy? Good luck with that, Skippy.

• Spitblood says:

What? Are you high?

Here’s the schedule. No Green Bay for once. Only one east coast game.

9/7 @ DAL
    9-14 vs CHI (Sunday night)
    9/21 @ ARI
    9-28 vs PHI
    10/5 vs KC
    10/13 @ STL (Monday night)
    10/19 @ DEN (Sunday night)
    BYE
    11/2 vs STL
    11/9 @ NO
    11/16 @ NYG
    11/23 vs WAS
    11/27 vs SEA (Thanksgiving)
    12/7 @ OAK
    12/14 @ SEA
    12/20 vs SD (Saturday)
    12/28 vs ARI

• philippinefan says:

NO GB because the pimps at NFL Central Scheduling finally got it that Niners will put ANOTHER spanking on their golden boyz. And that would be sad for them

How weird is this?

Scotty McLoughan resigns again right before the draft again. Personal problems. Again.

Ran out of Scouting Trips and has to be seen on a daily basis for the Draft Prep?
      Easy to hide on the road.
      Lot’s of tables to hide under when you’re on the move.

That is weird. Differences of opinion on players or Scottie McDrinkie again?

Scot McCloughan – Mezcal Worm

Could be all of the above NJ. Chucks right though, very strange timing again, somethings up.

PFT is suggesting Scot is planning to set up a Home Scouting venue too?

Hey, what do we know?
        Rosie cheeks suggest he’s a drinker but, there could be legit issues he doesn’t want broadcast too.

As long as it screws the Seahawks, it works for me.

• philippinefan says:

Weird but I’ll take it if it means SEA begins to regress. Did he build the team that dispatched the Niners and won the SB? Dunno but if so = Mission Accomplished

Now get sober.

Chuck I’ll put up some of my other positions regarding my Wish List guys –
    Still working on the WRs and CBs.
    Hard to figure what Baalke might have in terms of strategy so, I’m trying to avoid Trading up for anyone.
    Makes it hard to predict who could be around at Pick 30.

FS
    Calvin Pryor (FS) – Louisville (Likely won’t see him without Trading up)
    Dontae Johnson (FS) – NC St
    Marqueston Huff (CB) – WY
    Ty Zimmerman (FS) – KS

SS
    Deone Bucannon (SS) – WA State
    Jimmie Ward (SS) – No IL
    Eric Pinkins – (SS) – SDSU
    Tre Boston (FS) – UNC

TE
    Larry Webster – Bloomsburg (Convert from DE)
    Marcel Jensen – Fresno St
    Crockett Gillmore – CO St.

OT

Charles Sims – WVU
    Bishop Sankey – WA

Forgot my FBs –

Lorenzo Taliaferro – Coastal Carolina
    J.C. Copeland – LSU
    Trey Millard – OK

Weird thing is, we never really got an answer the first time Scotty bailed out. Lots of gossip but nothing more.

Thanks for these draft selections, NJ. I’m familiar with about 10% of these guys . . .

New thread is up.