State of Confusion

UPDATE: Carlos Rogers to be cut today.

How’s that for a fairly obscure Kinks song? Something front the later years.

Anyhow, I’m a little confused as to what the 49ers are up to in regards to their secondary. They have CB Tremaine Brock signed, and rookie phenom Eric Reid is in the fold. After that it gets murky. Carlos Rogers is most likely going to get cut (today?), along with his $8 million salary cap hit. CB Chris Culliver is coming off a major knee injury, Tarell Brown is possibly going to get signed, but that hasn’t happened yet. He may still be pissed about missing out on his $2 mill from last year’s contract snafu. Wright and Cox are nickel backs/depth guys at best, and Swanson and Morris are less than that. They aren’t even ST fodder at this point.

Moving to safety, the Niners are dragging their feet with Donte Whitner a little bit. He’s being courted by the Jets and Rex Ryan, but at this point nothing is imminent. Since Craig Dahl is the backup, I’d think Strong Safety (and thus Whitner) would be a priority. We’ll see how this plays out, but it will be soon.

Since tomorrow is get-under-the-cap day, the Jets just cut Antonio Cromartie and his $15 mill cap hit. The Niners are safely under, but you wonder how long they hold on to Rogers. Maybe restructure? I doubt it because he’s pretty much a nickel back himself at this stage of things. I wonder if the Niners would look at some kind of cap-friendly one-year deal for Cromartie to sign. Certainly worth a try.

I say this because the Niners would be leaning on a young defensive backfield should Whiter and Rogers leave. A young backfield that needs a couple guys who would be drafted in May. If they do let Whitner go, I’d think they’d look for a vet CB and draft a safety. Any top guy available (Jaruis Byrd or Louie Delmas ferinstance) would be just as expensive.

I’d rather they keep Whitner and take their shot with a very deep CB class. What do you think?

47 Responses to State of Confusion

1 CB down 3 to go. Rogers got cut.

Squawks Bennett signed with da bears. Squawks have lost 2 big pieces of their front 7 now.

My bad, read it too fast, Bennett signed back with the Squawks turning down more money from da bears. Shit.

Well, there you go. That frees up money to sign Whitner and Brown. Their immediate priority after this.

Not sure the team will pay enough to land either one. I would try to get Whitner over Brown as they really need an experienced caller in the back field and as you said the draft is deep in CB. Brown is a very solid CB but the market is paying top dollar this year.

Niners old center David Baas got cut from the Giants. Might be cheap insurance at C.

• Alleykat says:

Rather stick with David Kilgore 12th over a washed up Baas..

Yeah me too Kat, I was thinking to have a vet push Kilgore during camp and as back up for the season if he is playing for minimum. Snyder can play C at a pinch.

5. Alleykat says:

Yeah the Niners will save 5.1 mil by dumping Rogers and with Tarrel Brown ready to hit the market tomorrow Corner Backs are gonna be a huge need they will have to take care of in the draft!!

6. Alleykat says:

Well if nothing else David can start getting extra time on the lakes for Baas Fishing…

I think we’re going to lose Rogers and Whitner, and maybe even T Brown. If we lose even two of those guys, we’re definitely going DB in the first round. If we lose all three, we’re going two out of our first four in the secondary. The other two should be offensive skill position players.

David Baas was always hurt in New York. Always.

In all of my studies about alcoholism over the past two years I was surprised to learn that insanity is a very real possibility for alcoholics, especially men and women in their 60’s and beyond. I don’t know how old Del is, but he’s teetering on insanity. He just needs a push. Micheal Vick to the 49ers as Colin Kaepernick’s backup would be just that push. He’d be betting on the mallards and feeding the ponies in no time.

Let’s toast to Dennis’ sanity. Cheers!

Now you’re coming over to the light side, Spitty (do me a favor and kick Luke Skywalker’s ass for me, would ya? Am I the only one who wanted Darth Vader to turn him into a toad at the end?).
    1 safety, 1 corner, 2 WRs (1 like 4.26 40 Dri Archer). There’s your first three rounds unless they get a DL or Bowman replacement, which would knock something down a round.
    Basically what I wrote a month ago.

• Spitblood says:

How could anyone be against Luke Skywalker? Uncle Owen and Aunt Barru kept him working on those evaporators far too long. He put in his time.

• rtfirefly says:

“I WANNA go. I WANNA go. Whiner. He deserved Carrie Fisher, or the two Carrie Fishers she’s bloated into today.

• Spitblood says:

If it wasn’t for Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star, Republicans would be denying global warming from the Death Star. Actually, that doesn’t sound half bad. Put all the Republicans on the Death Star. Only problem would be they could blow up the earth…..quicker.

12. “These aren’t the ‘rhoids you’re looking for” said Obi-Wan to the proctologist.

If I could use the Jedi mind trick on someone, it’d be Harbaugh.

SpitKenobi: You don’t need to go all jumbo, all the time.
    Harbaugh: I don’t need to go all jumbo, all the time.
    SpitKenobi: You’re too dependent on Frank Gore. He’s old.
    Harbaugh: Gore’s old, give me younger backs!
    SpitKenobi: The refs are your friends.
    Harbaugh: Hey guys! How’s the wife and kids? Did you lose some weight this off season, Triplet? You did… come on, admit it! You look great. Have a great game, Jeff.
    SpitKenobi: “Who’s got it better than us?” is tired.
    Harbaugh: Give each other high fives!
    SpitKenobi: That sucks too.
    Harbaugh: Hugs?
    SpitKenobi: You need to man up.
    Harbaugh: We’re fuckin’ men, we fuckin’ dominated their asses. Take the week off. We use the same offensive plan anyway, we’ll dominate our next opponent next week with the same shit without practice.
    SpitKenobi: They can have Monday and Tuesday off, but come Wednesday you’re passing the ball in practice and can’t run the ball once.
    Harbaugh: See you Wednesday!
    SpitKenobi: You don’t like khakis and black sweatshirts.
    Harbaugh: Wife! Take me shopping.
    SpitKenobi: You hate old players and love the younger ones.
    Harbaugh: Hey LaMicheal, wanna get a drink after the game?
    SpitKenobi: Not like that.
    Harbaugh: You’re doin’ a great job, LaMicheal, and we’re going to incorporate you into the offense more. My bad.
    SpitKenobi: Kaepernick will go through his progressions. You hate that Roman only has one receiver designated for each passing route.
    Harbaugh: Kaep, let’s watch some film of Joe Montana.
    SpitKenobi: Roman needs some help with the passing game.
    Harbaugh: Roman needs some help with the passing game.
    SpitKenobi: Your agent used the Browns to create leverage.
    Harbaugh: My agent used the Browns to create leverage.
    SpitKenobi: Pete Carroll is your friend.
    Harbaugh: Pete Carroll is a douche bag.
    SpitKenobi: My bad.

• Great. Now SpitKenobi please get the Jedi Jr. in yer sights and work some on him please: “Jimi plays some good music; I need some for next 5 yeahs, etc” Thanks

14. Alleykat says:

As much as I know they need corners, my guess there going to move up with that stockpile of picks (12?) and go a big receiver like Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans or Odell Beckham.
    They won’t get burned again like with AJ Bust Jenkins and take the fastest (4.33)WR in the draft Brandon Cooks who is also a pip squeak 5’9 midget Jenkins part 2 written all over him.
    Niners need a big physical WR with their top pick as Boldin is winding down and Crabs a possible Goner next year..
    Good thing about this draft, it’s deep in WR and CB,( like Jason Verrett or Ha ha Dix)so we should get some major talent if they don’t fuck up the picks!!😱

Alleykat I’m on the fence with Verrett.
      He’s a small guy that just had labrum surgery done however, he’s probably a good option for the slot CB position.
      Carlos was often the man tasked at that position and, he’s too old and slow for that role anyway.
      Verrett would be an excellent option for guys like Harvin, Austin and Bailey in StL too.

I’m leaning toward a WR for Pick 30, unless Baalke makes a splash move to climb up again.
      One guy very much worth that sort of pitch, would be CB Justin Gilbert.
      But, I like Kyle Fuller from VA Tech just as much and, he would come cheaper.

This Draft is deep in the areas we need the most help so, I’d think at this point that Baalke wouldn’t have to reach.
      Keeping more Picks for the Mid RD area would do us well for the depth needed in another year or 2 with the departures of Boldin, possibly Crabtree or, Iupati Aldon as well.

Good year to stock up on younger options.
      I like Odell, Donte Moncrief, Brandin Cooks and Davante Adams in the WR group.
      DBs are also deep.

Like SS Deone Bucannon from Washington as well.

Plenty of options, all of which I’m sure Baalke has calculated well on.

Kelvin Benjamin isn’t a slam dunk for me at this point but, I’m not the guy turning in the selection card.
    There’s plenty of ways Baalke could go with the WRs and DBs.
    If we stay pat at 30, I’m guessing BPA would make sense, at either position.

If NT Louis Nix slides, I’d love him too.
    Even though Cooks is a small guy, he’s the speed factor we’re missing right now.
    I’d also love to steal a gadget guy like Dri Archer from Kent St.
    Another little guy with crazy speed that is a RB by trade but, catches well enough and also handles KR duties.

Odell warms my heart. Fuck Leia and the wookie she rode in on.

• Spitblood says:

I watched Odell in his highlights on Youtube. Good looking receiver. He reminds me a lot of Cratbree. Great hands, great routes. Don’t know about his 40 time.

I did hear that Culliver was good to go and is back up to speed.

Too many issues to let the existing guys go,

Don’t forget about CJ Spillman Chuck.
      He’s been around awhile and could spell Whitner if necessary.
      Baalke will have all sorts of room to play regarding the positions we need.
      It’ll all come down to the value he assigns.

My Wish List isn’t complete yet but, I’ll tinker with it.
      Another guy that I’d like to see Baalke take a swing at is Kareem Martin, DE UNC.
      Might sneak him in in RD 2?
      Big kid, long arms, good quicks.
      Another option to Aldon if we can’t retain him.
      Having both wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Ray McD and Justin aren’t long for shelf life either.
      Get youth and talent at any position.
      Draft Picks are cheap.

Chuck your guy Stanley Jean-Baptiste could also be a consideration for SS.
    Like his size and coverage abilities but, he’s not long on experience and didn’t run very well in the 40, which typically separates the CBs from the S position on it’s own merits.
    I think there are better options to replace Donte if we happen to lose him.
    Deone Bucannon would be my top guy there.
    He’s fast, covers well and, brings the business in run support.

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Baalke nabbed 2 WRs and 2 DBs from this Class.
    Another RB isn’t out of the question either.

Spit sold me on FB JC Copeland from LSU too.
    He’s a load that wastes no time going after a short yard either.

One RB I’d like to find at a bargain is Bishop Sankey from Washington.
    Verstatile kid, good speed, catches well too.

Great Draft for us to look for bargains and depth.
    Baalke has plenty of ammo as well.
    Could move up, could move back for additional Picks next year too, if the right value eludes him early on.

Yeah, Baptiste and the other guy who’s name I can’t remember are the classic tweeners that these guys seem to dig.

Check the RB from GA Southern, Jerick McKinnon.
      About identical in size to Sankey.
      Kid blew it up at the Combine.

4.4 speed, 1.46 10 yard split, 40.5 Vert and 11.0 Broad jump.
      He’d be a bargain hunt kinda guy too.

Franchise wrote on Skeebs’ that the Browns have made a big offer on Whitner. This reminded me to post a very important fact I’d forgotten during the Cleveland-Harbaugh mallard and pony show.
    The Cleveland Browns did in fact win a Super Bowl. Only they were called the Baltimore Ravens.
    Leaving Cleveland is a formula for success. Going there, well…

Just like with Goldson RT, it comes down to money and losing or, hanging around for less, with the chance to get the Ring.
      Whitner has to learn another scheme too, no matter where he goes.

We’re in a good position now.
      No longer overspending for FAs.
      It’s on the player to commit to our price.

A guy who could also be considered as a CB to SS option is, Dontae Johnson, NC St.
    6’2″ 200lbs
    Tackles well, ran 4.4s in Indy too.
    There are so many quality options for DBs and WRs it’s crazy.

Like Jonathan Dowling from W Kentucky also. 6’3″ 190lbs Little slower, 4.52 but has longer arms, which Baalke apparently favors. Smaller school though. Bargain shot with him later perhaps?

Ahmad Dixon from Baylor also did well. 6’0″ 212lbs, ran in the 4.4s too.

CB Keith McGill from Utah looked good but, not a whole lot of game experience with him.
    Good size, 6’3″ 211lbs 4.51 40.

Should be an interesting shopping trip for Baalke in May.

Yeah, Odell’s a player. His 40 time was very nice. Too nice to stick around to 30 I’m afraid. But I would trade up to get him if he’s still there at 20.

Frank Gore is killing the 49ers both on the field and off. I’m starting to dislike the guy. 6 million for a washed-up back is 4 million too much, which we could use to sign additional free agents to provide depth. And that’s nothing to do with Frank’s poor play on the field. Where’s the voice of reason within the 49er organization regarding playing older players? The 49ers are addicted to age, and that’s one of the reasons Harbaugh hasn’t won a Super Bowl. Might be the biggest.

Uh, no. It goes back to Singletary and his insistence to telegraph our running plays. Harbaugh was more successful at it, but it really is the same game.

Besides, there’s plenty of time to rework Gore’s deal if need be.

New thread is up…