Baba O’Riley

Since blind sheep were part of the last thread, this seems like a natural progression.

Out here on the field, I fight for my deal
I get my back into my living
I don’t need to fight to prove I’m right
I don’t need to be forgiven

Don’t cry, don’t raise your eyes
It’s only Niner wasteland

Kappy, take my hand, travel south crossland
Put out the fire don’t look past my shoulder
The exodus is here, the happy ones are near
Let’s get together before we get much older

Sounds good to me. So, we’ve figured out the passing game needs some tweaking, we’ve solved the issues around signing Kaepernick and Harbaugh. Bargain deals. So, the next thing to figger out is the draft. Still waiting on Whitner, but that will be figured out soon enough.

Despite Harbaugh’s posturing (or not) of ‘let’s sign ’em all!’ that isn’t likely. Whitner is the highest profile guy who they apparently want back. Rogers is as good as gone as nothing is swirling around him. Whitner however had a strong year last year. Mainly helped by the presence of rookie Eric Reid. The substitute free safety who came in and outplayed his predecessor Dashon (PF) Goldson by a wide margin. Irregardless of Goldson’s pro-bowl status, Goldson was often out of position, and thus let things get over the top on him. Which forced Whitner to cover for Goldson and get himself out of position. His propensity to jump routes, take bad angles, and get toasted led to some early playoff deficits in the aborted Super Bowl run in 2012.

Anyhow, I’d think the Niners would try to get Whitner back, as they have big concerns at CB, and I’d think they’d like a vet presence calling the coverages back there if they are thinkning about using a rook or 2 in coverage. With Culliver a ? after his knee injury, Rogers heading out of Dodge, Tarell Brown unsigned (as of now), the only guy proven is Tremaine Brock. He of the recent contract extension. COX, Wright, Swanson, and Morris are all untested or perennial backups. I don’t see Wright hanging around anyway, and the thought of Craig Dahl taking over for Donte Whitner is something I can’t explain.

So, who looks good at corner? We’ve gone over some guys I like. Stanley Jean-Baptiste is one. Big, strong, and fast. A guy like Loucheiz Purifoy may be around in the 2nd round, although his stock is rising. He may end up going late 1st. He’s very fast and physical, but isn’t a tweener like the 49ers seem to like. Keith McGill, the CB from Utah has the size and speed that the Niners might go for. He’s 6-3, 214. 4.5ish 40s.

An intriguing small-school guy to be had in the later rounds is Walt Aikens from Liberty College in Va. 6′ 0″ and 205, he’s faster than the other bigger CBs. Maybe a 4th round sleeper.

What do y’all think? Put down your squeeze box and lemme know. I’m getting the Summertime Blues and it ain’t even springtime.

86 Responses to Baba O’Riley

Post # 400 for this blog. Thanks for your participation, folks . . .

Chuck, I don’t want to break the internet either, and I respect what you wrote above and what to debate that as well. But I think this is the direction of the 49ers organization for the next few months, with Baalke continuing to do a good job to add talent even though this negotiation is on going, through the media. You wrote that York won’t overpay Harbaugh, but Harbaugh’s in a position to make over 10 million per year. Time will tell. Here’s what I wrote….

Harbaugh doesn’t have a salary cap and he can’t get franchised, so Harbaugh has a TON of leverage. Harbaugh made Kaep and you’re going to pay Harbaugh 5 million a year while Kaep makes 18? I don’t think so. My guess is that right after the owners meeting Harbaugh makes 9 million per year, maybe even 10. I hope Harbaugh threatens to leave SF and this one gets ugly. Not for the spectacle, but for the humbling of York and exposure of Maiocco. Those two little snot nosed punks couldn’t hold Harbaugh’s jock, and yet that’s who Harbaugh has to go through and deal with to get paid. But the way Harbaugh dealt with Maiocco ( who was doing York’s bidding) by not lashing out at York in the SI article, shows that Harbaugh knows he’s going to get paid somewhere. It might be somewhere else, but he’ll get paid in 2016 for sure, and by then, it’ll be well over 10 million a year. If Harbaugh had lashed out at York for having Maiocco attack Harbaugh through the media, it would have lessened Harbaugh’s value because when the poop splatters, everyone gets dirty and it would lessen Harbaugh’s value to his next employer. So that’s why Harbaugh’s interview in Sports Illustrated was so brilliant. It was calculated. Harbaugh avoided doing exactly what the NFL owners were privately hoping he’d do……. explode and retaliate towards York, lessening Harbaugh’s overall value – then other coaches and their pay stay suppressed. Dunn coached Harbaugh well, and Dunn’s earning his money.

Harbaugh is in a position to create a much higher pay standard for coaches around the NFL. And with the NFL making 9 billion with “B” in 2012, and Goodell making 44 million a year later in 2013, you know coaches should make a ton more than they currently do. It’s all relative. If Harbaugh breaks the bank, other coaches like Sean Payton and Pete Carroll are going to love Harbaugh because their next contracts will sky rocket as well. And coaches rarely have the levarage Harbaugh has right now because Jim Tomsula is about as inspiring as Jerry Jones’ eventual hire of Dave Campo after the Johnson years. I’m dying to see Harbaugh tell York to kick rocks and make this a painful negotiation for York because York was instrumental in the firestorm CSN Bay Area has thrown at Harbaugh. Jed got blindsided by the Browns story, and then didn’t compose himself. I want to watch as York and Eddie D, maybe even Carmen scrabble like hell to both apologize, mend the fence and try and get Harbaugh back on their side. But it’s gonna cost ‘em…..BIG. Especially now that Maiocco released this propaganda storm at Harbaugh on York’s behalf. Joseph Goebbels was blushing.

If Harbaugh won’t sign in the next two years…. because York’s only offers are consistent with what other head coaches make and Harbaugh knows he’s worth a ton more than that if he were to hit the open market, what York and the rest of the NFL owners will want is for CSN Bay Area to slam Harbaugh and marginalize Harbaugh’s Bay Area popularity so if Harbaugh walks, Jed York isn’t run out of town for being too cheap to retain the best coach in SF since Bill Walsh, or being too weak – unable to upset the other owners by establishing a much higher head coach pay standard.

Jed York’s in a real tough place…. but he’s put himself there by thoughtlessly employing Maiocco to go on the offensive. Pay Harbaugh what Harbaugh wants (probably an excess of 10 million per year) and the owners hate Jed. Don’t pay Harbaugh and the Bay Area comes unglued and the visions of Jed York and Mike Singletary come back to haunt us all and Jed York is beyond vilified. So what’s Jed’s best option? On the surface it appears he needs to fight back. Work every day with Maiocco to smear Harbaugh. Clobber Harbaugh. Make it appear as though if Harbaugh left, this organization wouldn’t skip a beat with Tomsula. Make Harbaugh out to be a malcontent. He’s too hard to work with. His players hate him. The front office hates him. So if he leaves, it’s not that big of a deal. And if Ann Killion, Ratto and Tim K have a need to be relevant and want to dump on Harbaugh, too….. fantastic. BUT!!!! the problem is, if it doesn’t work and the Bay Area is still behind Harbaugh, the price just went way up on Harbaugh and Jed pisses off his fellow colleagues even more. And this is what’s happened.

The only mistake Jim Harbaugh made, in my opinion, was saying in his interview, “Believe me, I make plenty of money.” That’s not a lie. He does. But he wants plenty more. It wasn’t necessary to say that. If York does pay Harbaugh, people will later draw their Peyton Manning connections even though this recent claim wasn’t a lie.

If I’m Harbaugh now, I’m vacationing with a smile on my face and not paying much attention to any of this. But when OTA’s start, if I still don’t have a new contract, I’d say one more thing to the Yorks through the media. I’d tell the Yorks that if I (Harbaugh) didn’t have a new contract in my hand by the start of the regular season, I wouldn’t negotiate another one until April of 2015, when we all know by then Harbaugh would be impossible to sign. He’d be sniffing a huge payday on the open market in 2016.

The Yorks are in a tight place, and trust me, York attacking Harbaugh through CSN Bay Area, Maiocco and Ratto just cost York and the rest of the NFL a ton of money regarding future NFL head coach contracts. Harbaugh’s weathered the storm, and now, like a prize fighter, it’s Harbaugh’s turn to throw York and the rest of the NFL owners and their 9 Billion in 2012 into the corner and bring the pain on all of them with round-house punches to the head and stomach. Pummel York, Jim. Pummel the owners. You can do it.

Doesn’t anyone remember the Mike Singletary years? Doesn’t anyone remember Troy Smith in London? What about Mike Singletary needing to “Check the tape,” or Singletary sticking up for Jimmy Raye saying, “That guy’s been in the league for 30 years and you think he’s incompetent? That just doesn’t make any sense to me….” Then Dennis O’Donnel gets removed from his own TV show? What about Micheal Lewis leaving the team, Coffee leaving, Kentwan Balmer leaving? What about Singletary forcing out Scot McCloughan right before the draft? Jed York was the owner, letting that circus go on and on. That was on Jed’s watch. Harbaugh is to Jed what Jimmy Johnson was to Jerry Jones. Why did Jed York hire Mike Singletary? Oh yeah, because Singletary was a “Master Motivator.” LMAO. That’s the kind of insight Jed York has when selecting head coaching candidates. The 49ers were a laughing stock. This organization, under Jed, who employed both Nolan and Singletary, was a place where we had to overpay for free agents like Nate Clements, or a place where other free agents used our front office as leverage only to get better deals with their current teams. Kurt Warner? Adalias Thomas?

And people think if Harbaugh gets out of town that someone like Tomsula or Greg Roman could keep this team together? Seriously? People suggest our current cast of coaches would stay because, “They’re under contract.” Yeah…. they’d stay. But they wouldn’t extend and while they were here they wouldn’t put the same energy into their jobs. There would be a slow decline to the team. Walsh to Seifert to Mariucci to Erickson to Nolan to Singletary? Jimmy Johnson to Barry Switzer to Dave Campo to….. I don’t even want to go there. The problem with the above analogy is that Harbaugh has yet to build up this team to the standards of Walsh and Johnson. So, if Harbaugh left, it would all come crumbling down a lot faster. Then Harbaugh would leave and start building a winner else where while our Rome crumbled. Trust me, 49ers fans would easily be able to compare Harbaugh’s new team ascending to York’s 49ers descending. And we could all say hello to our own Jerry Jones years. Jed’s best option is to bite the bullet, pay Harbaugh and tell the rest of the NFL owners he had no choice.

• Pretty much agree w/ Spit here. Not as sure as he is about the future salary of Jimi going that high = +$10M. It’s been a long time since we had a HC make top dollar in the NFL coaching ranks = Bill Walsh. So these numbers and the position we’re in are unfamiliar territory for us the Niner fan base. Agree it’s Jimi pulling the strings with front men Maiocco and Balky acting on owners behalf. I do not fault the PR posturing and games being played in media by either side. Niners need to pay JH and they will when he gets around to giving them a firm #. Likely it is true Jimi is interested in what Carroll will get with his SB in hand- and have to take less if extending sooner than our own SB win. Jimi and Jedis’ little dilemma. I’m also not annoyed at ownerships games via media, that’s abnormally normal. And ownership is more than Jedi. It’s his father, mother and uncle Eddie has an influence as well I’m sure. But has the triangulating been exposed via local media? It sure has and that card has been played. Nice try. We’re wise now.

Same goes fer Kaps pay = who have we had that’s a top performer at QB (or on his way far as anyone can tell)? Joe, Steve. Eons ago and the #s are crazy now so I could see any number which is really unfamiliar territory as well. Just sign ’em both, we’ll be ok.

• Maiocco in video below: “Jim Harbaugh has a reputation of selfishness, but it’s not true = see he wants Vic Fangio to get a raise”

Right MM and you have a reputation for backstabbing and bootlicking and beating yer wife which you’ve stopped, right?

Said I above which I now retract concerning MM and Ratto: “I do not fault the PR posturing and games being played in media by either side”. Okay wife beater gloves are off. Includes you Ratto- and lose some weight fatso. Lol. These are the tips of Jedis knife aimed at the 41-14-1 HC. Assholes.`

• Have to wonder at the IQ of the York family employing such goons. ” I’m also not annoyed at ownerships games via media, that’s abnormally normal. And ownership is more than Jedi. It’s his father, mother and uncle Eddie has an influence as well I’m sure”.

Oh dear the Niners are owned by assholes. Desperate triangulating assholes but still. And it’s Hendrix that’s “selfish” Uh huh fuckwads

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaak! Iner . . . . net brea . . . . . king up!

More powerrrrrrrrrr, Captain!

Here’s Lowell Cohn on Colin Kaepernick:

It’s like he’s saying, “To hell with the team. I want mine.” There are words to describe his position starting with “hypocrite” and ending with “phony.” You can fill in words in between.

Kappy’s mom (!!!) replied with:

Teresa Kaepernick @mommakaep
    When one has an inability to articulate their thoughts intelligently, they often resort to namecalling. Isn’t that right @lowellcohn ?

Lowell Coh’s reply:

And make no mistake, Kaepernick has failed twice. The Niners gave the team to Kaepernick to win the Super Bowl. Not to lose the Super Bowl. They expected him to deliver. He did not.

If he wins the Super Bowl, sure, give him Cutler money. If not, well things will get real interesting. But, please, make his contract performance-based, not extortion based.

_________________________________________________
    Lowell Cohn doing what he does best. Instigate bullshit.

• Spitblood says:

I think the 49ers are going to take a safety in the first round. They might do exactly what they did last year, trading up once again. I told ya’ll last year they’d take Reid in the first round, and I’m tellin’ ya’ll now they’ll do it again in 2014, pairing a rookie safety with a Sophomore safety in Eric Reid.

This NFL draft plays out just like last year’s safety draft. Vacarro was highly touted as the number one safety in the NFL, with Reid closely following in terms of value. I compared last year’s draft to the draft in which Earl Thomas and Eric Berry came out. Berry was the most sought-after, but Thomas was the better safety. Same with Reid and Vacarro. Vacarro got more attention, Reid was the better overall pick.

This year, the two safeties who I assume will go in the first round are Ha-Ha Clinton- Dix and Calvin Prior. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix is an Eric Reid clone. You want you safeties interchangeable, Clinton-Dix is your guy. But there’s one problem with that – Eric Reid’s concussions will keep him from playing up in the box a lot. That leads you to a Calvin Prior type safety who’s a Dashon Goldson clone. Prior can play in the box more, and he delivers big hits.

If I was drafting, I’d be happy with either player, but I’d go after Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, not because he’s a Reid clone, but because he’s taller, a determined tackler like Reid, and most of all, he can defend the ball up high and cover deep better than Calvin Prior. But Prior would bring that much needed fear back to the 49ers’ secondary. It’s there with Whitner and Reid, but not as much as it was with Dashon back there. Either, you can’t go wrong. With the 49ers potentially losing Rogers, Brown and Whitner, they’ll need to use a first round pick on a DB. They just re-signed Ed Donantel to a two year deal.

• Yep and he’s late to the bitchfest = we’ve been talking about this fer weeks. Shows how irrelevant local media tools are. And our crew here is top notch fer a bunch of unpaid opinionators.

You never said that about Reid, but we’ll see. They are likely to have 1 rookie CB and a 1-year FS. I don’t thinkthey add a rookie SS to the mix as well.

I think they keep Whitner and focus on CB.

• Spitblood says:

The hell I didn’t. I wrote it over and over again that the 49ers would draft Eric Reid in the first round. You don’t remember because I didn’t bump my chest after they picked him. But I wrote frequently the 49ers would draft Reid in the first round. I didn’t know, however, about the story that Harbaugh recruited Reid.

Didn’t seeit, Spitty, but i didn’t look too hard. Did find this though:

unca_chuck says:
    February 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm (Edit)
    Well, 12th, it hinges on what happens with Goldson. Lose him, and it becomes likely Culliver slides over to FS.

Or they may go ahead and draft one.

Near as I can tell, you were high on Phillip Thomas:

Spitblood says:
    February 26, 2013 at 9:24 pm (Edit)
    A safety only has to mirror a route for a very brief period of time – nothing like a corner. Most of the safety mirror is done on deep route double moves, and qb seven step drops. I’m not worried at all about Phillip Thomas. Kid can play. I’d draft him in a heart beat with 62.

Missed his entire year with a foot injury.

• Spitblood says:

Keep looking. Trust me, I was all over Reid. Might have to check Skeeber’s blog. I can’t keep track of who kicks me off where, and when….

I found this in April of 2013…. didn’t take long to find. I’m certain I could find a lot more about me writing about Reid. Gotta love Del’s response.

April 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Reid isn’t much different than Vaccaro. Consider the draft that safeties Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were both taken in the first round. Berry was taken at 5, Thomas at 14. What’s the difference between the two players today? 9 spots? Berry was the name, but that’s all he has on Thomas. What if Vacarro goes to the Rams at 22, then Reid goes to the 49ers at 29? 7 slots later? – a lot like the difference between Berry and Thomas. After the draft, people won’t think much of the difference between Vacarro and Reid.

Del Mar Dennis says:
    April 12, 2013 at 10:28 am

I totally disagree with that statement. I think Reid is much different than Vaccaro. At least heading into the draft and based on their performances in college. IN FACT! IMO, I have Reid rated below Vaccaro, Cyprien and Elam. I would like to think that has a lot to do with my total disdain with LSU, but I like Mathieu and wouldn’t mind one iota if the Niners took a chance on the “Honey Badger.”

Here’s something else I wrote about Eric Reid before the draft.
    April 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Here’s a scenario I could see play out – Both the 49ers and Ravens watch carefully where Vacarro goes (anticipating him going to the Rams), and then both the Ravens and 49ers look to move up to grab their safety…. jockeying for position to insure they fill their secondary gaps, competing with one another. But if there’s four or five starting safeties out there, I think the 49ers would be okay staying put and picking best available at 31. We don’t, however, want Elam. His brother from another mother’s a kicker for god sakes. For my money, I think Eric Reid (LSU Safety) is a great potential pick for the 49ers. I don’t think there’s that much difference between Reid and Vacarro. Vacarro is a bigger hitter, but Reid hits too and Reid can play the ball in the air better (from what I’ve seen).
    ….
    My draft — provided we don’t trade early, but do start making trades in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is 31 – Eric Reid (safety LSU)
    34 – Kawaan Short (DT Purdue)
    63 – Aaron Dobson (WR Marshal) – I could see the 49ers starting to make trades here to move up into the second round to grab Dobson. I could see the 49ers starting to make trades here with teams like the Raiders who need players – meaning the Raiders would create more picks by moving back while the 49ers moved up.
    74 – CB – Darius Slay – Not a very physical corner and that could scare off Baalke, but a guy who can definitely cover and could learn to be more physical out of necessity.
    93 – Ace Sanders (WR/PR) Ace is the place for ass rockets.

I don’t think the 49ers move up to get more or earlier picks in the first round. But I do think the 49ers will move up into the second and third rounds to acquire more pick there. I think the 49ers and Raiders can both strengthen their teams trading together during the 2013 draft.

10. Warner sez Kap could be a top dollar QB: We’ve been saying same thing fer a couple weeks so nothing new but it is Kurt Warner

Quotes: “If you’re going to keep him for the long-term, you’re going to have to pay him that kind of money. (It’s a) tough situation for San Francisco. I think they’d be better off to let him go one more year and then see where he’s at, but not sure they’re going to have the luxury to do that.”

““These guys don’t come around very often,” Warner said. “A guy that is explosive that can make plays – we saw the other guy in their division in Russell Wilson. Good defense, good running game, very much like San Francisco. (They) need a quarterback to make some of those explosive, game-changing plays – exactly what Kaepernick is. So you can win championships with that kind of formula. San Francisco has it. I do believe they want this guy to be their long-term guy, so it’s just a matter of when they’re going to pony up that money and how much is it going to be.”

11. I’d like to see one of those Hitler videos where Adolf bitches about having to pay Hendrix a bunch more money. But in the meanwhile here’s Jimi the winnah showing FO and friends why you do not screw with winnahs:

12. Bay Area Sports Guy sez a $20M Kap won’t be signed anytime soon:

Good article responds to La Canforas $20M fer starters hype

• But old Jason La Canfora has been busy stirring the shit re: Niners. He was the guy who fed the story to Mike Florio at PFT right after Matt B said something about GM/HC conflict according to another article here by this Bay Area Sports Guy:

“Jason La Canfora, an NFL reporter for CBS Sports (who’s known by many as the draft pick spoiler guy on Twitter), filed a report two and a half hours after Barrows’ suggesting the 49ers might find themselves needing to choose between Harbaugh and 49ers GM Trent Baalke.”

Jason La Canfora, hmmm

13. Bay Area writers have it in fer Hendrix? Yeah sez Bay Area Sports Guy:

“But there are a few scribes who not only don’t care about how well the 49ers perform on the field, they cannot stand Harbaugh.”

Hey we got one guy right here fits that description.

• Article sez quoting a local writer: “Harbaugh’s an asshole”.Whatever. So was George Halas, Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh according to some. Bill Parcells, Belicheck yadayada.

Maybe he is. Tough. Deal with it. Who you gonna listen to- winners or whiners?

Phil I wrote long ago that Harbaughs way of treating the press would come back to bite him if things got a little off track. Harbaugh has gotten a bit better with them but is not making any friends still.

Kap will experience something similar over his contract negotiations but to a lesser degree since most think he is acting that way because of his coach. His apparent demands won’t win him many friends with the fans though, I have suggested 16 mil would be about right but 18 is strong and 20+ I wouldn’t do, just my opinion. I love the kid, great potential and already a top 10 QB without a doubt but top 5 right now?

Cowboys and Bears way overpaid Romo and Cutler, if anyone needs to worry about the other owners giving shit for stupid decisions they would be top of my list not Jed who as far as I can see has done a great job following the Singleneuron faceplant.

How many years did we wait for a new stadium before Jed got it done? Remember the referendum? Jed also hired Baalke and Harbaugh and refused to match the offer from the Dolphins when their owner flew into town with his team and tried to snake Harbaugh away. This last few weeks folks have been taking shots at Baalke and Jed and the reason is the knee jerk reaction to the possibility of losing Harbaugh.

Baalke is not orchestrating the local press corp like some symphony, he is keeping his mouth shut. This “suit” is no mug, if he had his hand up the back of all these reporters that would not stay a secret very long and devastates his career. I’m not suggesting Harbaugh, Baalke and Jed, and the agents involved are above whispers to the press, but the idea that Baalke is the puppet master of the local beat writers doesn’t hold water for me.

Killion way overplayed her hand. Of course there will be players that don’t like Harbaugh as a person. There is no sphere of work that exists in which 53 highly competitive men will all like each other and get along. I have no doubt someone told her Harbaugh is a jerk and some guys don’t like him but so what? That is a long way from Harbaugh losing the locker room which she is suggesting in her piece but again this is payback for Harbaugh not Baalke pushing his agenda as that agenda actually belongs to Jed not Baalke.

Some expect to see a new Harbaugh contract this year. Anything is possible but I don’t think we will. I believe Harbaugh is confident that he can get this team back into the playoffs and probably the NFCCG. If he can it strengthens both his position and his legend which is already ground breaking. I am honestly not sure Harbaugh wants to stay in SF long term. He knows his best shot to win the SB is with SF right now and if Baalke has a good draft the window stays open longer so another 2/3 years I can see but long term nope.

• Good points 12. Pretty clear we differ on a few points/issues so we will see how it plays out. Yeah Balky=Jedi no doubt as you (and Spit) point out. Maiocco I have no love for as a York tool and a company man asshole. He leads the pack of Ratto, Lynch, Kawakami and yesterdays news Cohn heads.

14. Yeah Hendrix is the problem, sez so rat here on CSN w/ Ratto, Maiocco in two vids:

Is Jimi taking shots at York or is CSN taking shots at Jimi?

Can Jimi work with Balky or not? Can Jed cut a check or not?

More crap today so this is CSN policy following young Sir Jed. Fresh crap

One interesting titbit that I saw this morning was from Bullit who holds up Worthlessberger and his apparent reasonable contract as one for follow to Kap. Bullit points out the per year earnings and yes they are a lot less than 20 mil. 2 things wrong with that, the first is he ignores Worthlessbergers first contract entirely and when combined with his current contract that means Wothlessberger is the highest paid QB in history. The only QB to have actually received, in cash money 70 mil, Donovan McNabb is second at 69 mil in cash in their bank accounts. The second is that Kap played 3 years for peanuts, something Wothlessberger never did, so Kap has some catching up to do to end up with career money like the team friendly Worthlessberger has taken. These career earnings were as of July last year so not sure if P. Manning has eclipsed them or not but you see the point.

Numbers get thrown around this way and that but dig a little deeper and you find the “team friendly” numbers are almost always bogus. Kap does not have his new deal in place yet so nobody can be sure if he is really doing a team friendly contract or not but really why should he? Think the team will do a player friendly contract?

Having said that I am sure the team has a number in mind and they will stick to that if history is any guide. I just can’t see them ponying up 20 mil for a young guy with flaws in his game and such a limited amount of starts, potential or not. Not unless it ends up being a paper contract and the actual moola is far less.

The thing about all this is the salary cap. It jumped $10 mill this year, Next year? Likely at least another $8 10 mill. Say, arounf $142 mill. 4/$72 mill wouldn’t kill the team. They could even go 5/$90 and the hit isn’t too onerous.

The deal now is the owners get to reap the benefit of cheap deals for 4-5 years with the rookie cap in place, If guys work out, they have to pay the piper on their 2nd deal.

Yeah Chuck the pendulum has swung from giving untested rookies massive unearned contracts they didn’t deserve to paying vets for their performance. A much better model IMO. The crux of the matter is has Kap earned a 20 mil a year contract up to this point in his career? Obviously I would say no. If the team does go all in and pay him a 20 mil per contract I would expect it would work out OK in the end, meaning i think he is capable and likely to end up a top 5 QB. But it’s a heck of a gamble.

On a different note I don’t think paying any QB is worth 20 mil. The market sets the price but much like the rookie deals being out of whack I think the QB pay is becoming out of whack too.

The biggest difference is these numbers are (somewhat) performance based. Owners can’t get out of their own way in regards to how much they pay, but that’s their doing. Jerry Jones pisses everyone off when he gives his mediocre QB a zillion dollars. Cutler as well. He didn’t deserve the deal he got, but that sets the contracts going forward.

You can’t really begrudge these guys for wanting to make bank when you see the Commish getting $44 mill, the owners raking in gobs of money, and the Super Bowl corporate feeding frenzy continues to make billions for the league.

Fuck it. Pay him 5/$100 mill. $40 mill guaranteed. It’s either that, or he’s gone after this season.

• To pay or not to pay now- that is the question. Niners MO will be to “wait and see” but like 12 I think Kap will outperform next year (’14) and w/ the cap rising 9ers will wind up paying big buck later. Which they would prefer it seems.

Well, this is how the new NFL works. They either overpay him a little now, or lose him altogether after 2014. They WILL NOT franchise him for 2015, as that would be a one-year cap hit of $24 million. And how does that help things?

The choice they have to make is, and NJ has said this repeatedly, do they think Kappy is the QB of the future? I say yes. I think the Niners do as well.

If yes, pay him the $20 mill. If no, pay him his mill this year and watch him play somewhere else in 2015.

Chuck, QB franchise this year is a bit over 16 mil. Do you have a link to where it will be 24 next year?

OK no need. I read where you are projecting a 24 mil tag based on upcoming deals for top QB’s.

In other words, if $18 mill is the number, sign him tonight.

As I’ve said repeatedly myself, the longer they wait, the higher the number goes. 5/90 is a bargain.

If the reports of 20 is the floor, he is looking for substantially more than 5/90. The contract length needs to be longer than 5 to spread the hit so 7 is more likely. That comes out to 140, maybe 50 guaranteed. The Cutler deal is a clever one as it gives Cutler big money early but is structured so the team is only locked into him for 3 years, then they can walk away with no cap costs. The team gambled Cutler can perform at a high level but it is a relatively short term gamble. A Kap contract along those lines makes some sense to me if they are really going to pay that kind of money.

the average right now for the top 5 QBs is right around $21 mill. It’ll easily go up once Wilson, RG III, Cam, and Dalton sign deals.

I can only find the average to be a bit over 16, where have you read 21? I agree based on upcoming contracts it will go up before Kap’s current contract expires but the numbers you quote seem high.

So, it’s $20.41 million.

$24 mill might be a bit of a stretch, but it is certainly going to go up from $20.5.

Newton will get a lot of money, as will RG III and Wilson. Throw in Dalton and you have another 3 over the $20 mill mark.

I wouldn’t give any of those 2 20+ mil. I thought Wilson was less and less effective as the tear went on and was exposed. Dalton? Nah.

$16.192 million/yr for 2014. That’s from nfl.com.
    They base franchise numbers on LAST year’s numbers. Also, no one can be franchised three years straight. Only two.
    My memories are that the franchise tag doesn’t always bring out the best in players, which may be why it’s avoided like the plague for star players.

RG III, Wilson, Cam, and the rest likely sign THIS year. Which is the point. But whatever. A mill here, a mill there isn’t the sticking point.

The question comes down to do the Niners think he’s their future? If not, he’ll walk after this season.

It certainly raises the chances that he could walk. If he doesn’t get an extension now, they review another years work and either pay him (more money?) or franchise him. I, like you, am in favor of a contract this year but not at any price. I just don’t think he has shown enough over a long enough period of time to get top 5 cash.

Well, it ain;t my money. Besides, the alternative is to start over with someone we don’t even have yet. Fucking Bullit is saying $11 mill. $18 mill shou;ld be fine.

Once again though this is being hashed out in the media-shpere. No one really knows anything at this point.

“No one really knows anything at this point.” How true! Bravo Chuck!

11 mil is low IMO, certainly by current contract standards, but remember that Bullit still holds a candle for Alex and has not exactly embraced Kap.

I know Kaepernick is not going to walk if he doesn’t get his big payday right damn now. I also know that Sanchez looked every bit the next big thing in his first two years. And Kaepernick’s continued rise to stardom is not a given. Has everyone forgotten so soon what missing on a franchise QB costs a team?

Would letting Kap get to free agency count as missing on a franchise QB?

I am presuming that these numbers being thrown around are starting points for negotiation. If Kap plays this year at 1 mil he is missing out on 15+ mil in the bank right now. Tough to walk away from that kind of immediate money especially with the risk of injury and him playing a sport that is one hit away from being done.

He may be stubborn enough to play for a year if he doesn’t get top cash but that is a big risk for a guy who has not had a real payday yet.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and all that.

• NoFear49er says:

It might I suppose if CK7 turns out to be the superstar we let get away. But it also might put us in a position to draft the next Joe. I think of committing all the cap money for years to a QB that doesn’t develop into that top tier guy as missing on a frnachise QB.

I agree with you it would be smart for CK7 to sign an extension for $15/yr right now but it seems like there is a matter of pride or pecking order in who gets paid more than who. If it was me, I’d use this years’ money to re-sign some other key guys and take of CK7 next year when I have a bigger and better understanding of his abilities and weaknesses.

Well, when you look at what happened after a fair to middling guy like Garcia left, the flip side is appropriate as well. Who comes in to be our QB if Kappy leaves after this season?

Letting Kappy go with no one lined up behind him would be worse. Yeah, they have some time. But really, they risk losing him if they let him dangle.

Wow, comparing Kaep to Sanchez. It’s a sad day on this blog.

• NoFear49er says:

You might not recall the rookie honors or post-season play or beating the feared Pats in the playoffs. Wasn’t it two Conference championship games in a row there? Yeah, I’d say the heat around the kid in his first two years was similar to what CK7 has got going now.

One or two of the dissertations above damn near brought me to tears though, so maybe you’re onto something.

• Spitblood says:

I remember Sanchez beating the Patriots once and making a championship game, but I don’t remember him beating Brady twice. And he didn’t make a Super Bowl like Kaep. Sanchez never took a game over, though. Sanchez was successful because Brian Schottenheimer created smart game plans for Sanchez that severely limited Sanchez’s ability to mess things up. Sanchez, from what I remember (and I followed him) never took over a playoff game like Kaep, and he never made the throws Kaep did. Kaep pretty much took over both Green Bay games, owning the Packers. And he was on his way to taking over the Seattle game when nothing else was working but he made some crucial errors. I see what you’re saying, but because Sanchez was so limited by Schottenheimer, and Kaep has taken some playoff games over, I wouldn’t put the two in the same category.

And I’m assuming you read my dissertation above and it moved you so much, the truth, allegiance and beautiful of my writing style, that this is what brought you to tears? Certainly. I don’t need to ask.

• Lol yeah we are selling this by the kilo not by the word so lots getting yacked up. “Tears to my eyes” lol. Must be crocodile tears NF. It’s a little rich getting too concerned about the fate of these multi-millionaires huh? Cheap entertainment right?

Do you cry when bored NoFear?

Saints cut Darren Sproles. If I had any confidence the coaches would use him he would be someone to pick up at 3.5 mil per year.

Ryan, Flacco, Cutler, Romo and Stafford are all way overpaid for their results and/or potential. Millstones around their respective teams necks in terms of the cap. None of them are truly elite guys but are getting paid as though they are.

My top 5 right now: Rodgers, Brees, P.Manning, Brady and Rivers with Luck knocking on the door.

• NoFear49er says:

I like it, but maybe not Rivers as five. Lots of guys could go there and Rivers is probably one of them on second thought. First four are pretty solid.

Darren Sproles gets cut? Two things the 49er front office, coaches and players MUST KNOW. If you want to win Super Bowls, you can’t pay your qb enormous amounts of money unless he’s lights out… all the time, and even Peyton wasn’t. And the second thing is, now more than ever to win you have to develop young talent and dump the old guys. Right now, Frank Gore is a waste of cap room. The 49ers absolutely need to be developing another couple of rookie backs this year.

Doug Baldwin was a 2nd round tender for the Squawks, go get him.

• Yeah idea. Beats that 1st rounder Jon Baldwin we have now

That plus Doug Baldwin turned into Wilsons fav target so the Niners get a twofer, Wilson loses his blankie and the Niner upgrade to a known quantity for a second and the low 2 mil range. Oh and he played for Roman and Harbaugh at Stanford.

Both Baldwin and Sherman hated playing for Harbaugh. I don’t think it happens. They could get Golden Tate though. No idea what he wants though.

Baldwin and Harbaugh worked it out. Sherman not so much which is a shame since he is a free agent next year.

Yes they are going to draft a QB. And I think I can safely say it won’t be the next Joe. We know what we have in Kaepernick. We have no idea who the next guy in line is.

New thread is up.