We Won’t Get Fooled Again

Switching to the Who here. Lots of stuff to mine from that band.

Anyhow, the rumor mill is in hyperdrive as reporters are asking the towel boys and the ancilliary personnel if Harbaugh has stopped kicking his dog yet. In the unending blather, Harbaugh has become the pariah in quite a hurry. He wants to be GM, he wants ultimate control over personnel decisions, he wants control of the draft board, and finally he wants $10 million a year.

Funny thing is, none of these things are true. These factoids have been generated by a feeding frenzy of innuendo that started with the Harbaugh-to-Cleveland trade. Since then we’ve had a plethora of hyperventilated reports of player discontent, tension between Harbaugh and Paraage Marathe, Jed York, Greg Roman, the gardeners, the groundskeepers, and just about everyone else in the front office. On FO side of course, there has not been a peep out of York, Jed, or Harbaugh, or Baalke other than the discounting of the trade proposal by Jed and Harbaugh, which was sort of true from their perspective, again depending on if you believe it really didn’t gain any traction other than crooked Jimmy Haslam talking crazy talk.

While this is something to do during the quiet time between football and baseball, this has the real potential of tearing apart a very good team. MY goddamn team that I’ve been following since the late 60s. I suppose Jed and Company could all be sitting around and laughing at all the hyperbolic bullshit flying hither and yon, but I doubt it. There’s too much mud being slung around, and the longer we get silence from the front office and the coaches, the more potential there is for permanent rifts to be developed in these relationships during the radio silence.

Of course we know Young Sir Jed, the owner of the 49ers, is currently in the land of make-believe. He’s also on vacation is Dinseyland. I’m also pretty sure he doesn’t want to cut his vacation short to deal with this, or hold a press conference in the Haunted Mansion to explain why his emplyees are trying to tear each other apart, so this is what we get. He’s a young father with little kids to placate and have fun with, so he gets some vacay time.  Since I have no idea what Jed’s schedule is, I have no idea when he’s coming back to the land of reality, but I certainly don’t think he’s going to stay there until the owners meeting on the 23rd. That’s way too much time spent in fantasyland.

The thing is, he has to step up pretty quickly to address the apparent discord in the building. As we all know, Harbaugh’s an intense guy who may rub people the wrong way. Baalke himself has been pegged as a hard-headed guy as well. Throw in Marathe’s throwaway comments about lowballing Kaepernick, and the bullshit flying around the office, and there you have it. The 49ers again start looking like a Mickey-Mouse outfit. York fiddles while the front office crumbles around him. All we need at this point is a pictrure of Yed York flying back from Disneyland with a pair of mouse ears on. My point is, don’t f^%$ this up so close to the finish line. Win a couple Super Bowls before you strip the gears . . .

112 Responses to We Won’t Get Fooled Again

PFT has Kap looking for 18 mil a year. I’m a big fan of his but 18 is more than I would pay him right now. He has flaws in his game and has a total of 23 games under his belt. He has achieved a lot and his ceiling is sky high if he reaches it.

So much for making room for other players contracts but I put no stock in a comment made when he was put on the spot by a reporter. Players almost never really give much discount to teams, (Justin Smith did) especially young ones who have not yet made much and know very well they are one hit away from a career ending injury.

Don’t know for sure he is asking for 18 mil but I can understand the argument that Cutler and Romo are getting it and Kap is both better than them right now and has won play off games.

Tough spot for the team, they may decide to just wait now for another year. Risky either way.

2. Risky business here and with Balky games he’s playing with the best thing since acid rock ala my man Hendrix: “great opportunity for the Niners to make a huge mistake” sez one writer from NBC who is not passing on gas from Niner FO =

Butt kissing beat writers who get their bread buttered by Niner FO aside, read the sad history when GMs tangle with winning coaches:

Yeah Jed needs to open his yap and quench the media frenzy. Since he’s not done so it’s fair to ask why not? Several theories:

A) He’s a moron as Spit sez

B) Jed already knows what he’s gonna do about this if he has to eventually and that’s stick with Harbs

C) Conversely he’s already decided to stick w/ Balky

D) He’s gonna ride it out as long as he can by pretending not to notice and hope it doesn’t blow up until after SB L or Jimis contract expires whichever comes first. After which he’ll get a new GM. Or if A above he will be the second York to preside over an implosion of da Niners.

Wantedf to post this again since I was amused/concerned about the comments in the article.

I didn’t realize the apparent thrash around Kaepernick was this loud and angry. I think the kid has a much bigger upside than the risk apparent with signing him to an extension. Give him a 4 year / $60 mill extension and be done with it. It won;t breeak the bank and it won;t bvreak the team. I’m sure they are amenable to moving numbers around and throwing in a healthy signing bonus, but the kid has won some tough games, on the road no less. He’s got more than enough room to grow. Point being, Who’s Next (hah!)? Is he worth $18 mill a year? Well, hard to say when you have Romo making $18 mill, and Cutler making $20 mill. Neither of them have done anything more than p(o)ut up good reg season numbers, and fail in big games. Has Kappy done the same? Well, sort of, but he has won more playoff games than both of them combined in less than half the time, and his upside is off the charts compared to either of them.

As with Harbaugh, the next guy in line isn’t even a known commodity.

It’s sad that fans still get bent about how he dresses and the hats and shit. My contention still stands that most fans are idiots.

4/60 would be 15 mil a year, I would do it no problem, even 4/64 but 4/72 I just don’t think he has enough body of work to justify it. Also Kap has done his work, such as it is, on much better team rosters than Romo or Cutler so it’s not quite apples to apples.

Kap has not made the so so receivers around him better by his presence, something that is an indicator of greatness for me. Scheme is part of that and so is play calling but so is Kap missing his open guys.

Like I said, I’m a fan but 18 a year is a lot of moola and I think the team has a number in mind for him and don’t care how much those other guys are being overpaid.

My number before this news item was 16 a year with escalators for SB and I still think that is fair to both sides.

• phil fan says:

No doubt most fans are idiots. Except ours of course. What does it matter the crap they are talking in the comments of Pro Football Talk? Niners are in the spotlight/headlines again and everybody has an angle. Rest of the country? Eat yer hearts out losers.

Jed York has the cart before the horse. You sign Harbaugh first, then work on the Kaep deal. Signing Harbaugh first does two things: Quiets the crowd, getting the organization back to work, and it also helps with all future player negotiations.

Kaep’s Agent: Kaep doesn’t want to play for Jim Tomsula, and because there’s a real possibility being reported in the media that Kaep will someday have to play for Tomsula, we’ve upped our price.
    Paraage: uhhhhh, Jed? That can’t be. Let me get Jed on the phone.
    Kaep’s Agent: The conversations with the Browns indicates neither side is happy and his players are saying Harbaugh’s act has worn thin.
    Paraage: Jed ?
    Kaep’s Agent: We’d prefer to take 15 over the next two years ( 1 million in 14, 14 million with the franchise tag in 15), then walk in 16 and play somewhere else, competing for Super Bowls.
    Paraage: Jed’s on the beach with his kids. He’s not answering his cell phone. Let me put you through to Eddie D.
    Eddie D: Hello, Kaep’s Agent? Sorry, my nephew is a little green still. He should be there handling all of this. I apologize. Let me assure you Harbaugh will be our long term head coach. We recently went to Vegas and wow, Jim…. he’s a….. Let me cut to the chase. I have some compromising photos. He’s not going anywhere.
    Kaep’s Agent: Can we see them in order to judge if the photos create stability for my client?
    Eddie: I just sent ’em in a text.
    Kaep’s Agent: Yes, yes you do have compromising photos. Now let’s talk compensation.
    Eddie: 4 years, 55 with a Super Bowl win escalator. Plus Kaep and anyone he knows has access to all my luxury properties all over the world, complete with gaming and call girl service. What? Kaep doesn’t like hookers and gambling? He doesn’t believe in himself enough to sign a deal that pay him big after he proves he can win the big one? Is he a loser?
    Kaep’s Agent: 4 years, 60 with Super Bowl escalators and all your sleazy connections but an out that reads if Harbaugh goes, my client is a free agent.
    Eddie: Done and done. Pleasure doing business…. Oh, Harbaugh ain’t goin’ anywhere unless he wants to pay half of everything to the wife. I own that guy.
    Jed: Uncle Eddie? Man, I have a lot to learn.
    Eddie: You can’t learn balls, kid.

New from ESPN’s Ed Werder is that the Niners and Boldin are set to announce a 2 year deal for the Niners leading WR last year. Refreshing news. Or at least it’s better than the-rats-are-jumping-ship news that’s been bandied about the interwaves lately.

• Spitblood says:

That is refreshing. Now all we need to do is cut Frank Gore and use his 6 million or whatever else where.

• Yeah let/s talk about sumptin’ else. Ok thanks fer the good news. I’m beginning to think Boldin is the only sane man in the 9er circus at the moment.

Certainly Dallas had a solid defense in the early 00s, and enough weapons to go around. They had their shots and failed miserably. Cutler? Meh. Both those guys are the agents of their own doom. Fuck ’em.

Squawks apparently letting Bennet test the market?

Boldin signed and so will the other free agents if their offers work for them. Who the HC is gonna be is so far down the list of reasons to sign as to be insignificant. Think Kap won’t sign an 18 mil a year contract because Harbaugh may not be there much longer? Not a chance. Pro players, emphasis on “pro” definition of which is getting paid.

Coach/player loyalty blah, blah, blah. In the words of Cuba Gooding Jr “Show me the money!” and Harbaugh is exactly the same and I have no problem with that for players or coaches so long as it is based in realistic boundaries . It’s business, get real with the sappy “poor coach” shit.

• Naw that was pure entertainment = no connection to reality. “God Father Eddie counsels young moron”. Relax.

I’m relaxed thanks, how about you? I negotiate large figure contracts regularly. Reading most of these emotion based comments on here I seriously doubt that can be said for others. Clueless is a fitting description. Players won’t sign their deals because the coach is uncertain? Boldin is holding off signing because of the coach? Please.

I was surprised Boldin signed before the deadline, he had nothing to gain by signing early since a better deal may have been signed by another receiver he could have used as a comp deal.

• I didn’t see that in the comment you replied to. Oh it’s the body of work that troubles you. That’s fine. Me I’m here to enjoy bullshitting about something I love. Relaxing. Not worrying about others emotional comments. Fact I find most of the hyperbole highly entertaining.

Irony Phil. You are having fun but suggest I’m too uptight. Fun for me is reading comments that equate “I want my coach to stay” to the business reality. If a deal can be done I have no doubt Jed will do it. If Harbaugh is too big a pain in the ass he will be out. No coach is bigger than the team.

You are entitled to your opinion but reading your recent posts accusing reporters of different things without any evidence is funny as shit to me, hyperbole no?

I think it was Nipper who posted that some posters here would get eaten alive in the real business world and he is right. Lots of noise and emotion. Standard fare for fans. Funny all the same.

• Boldin has provided ample evidence there is no rift in locker room. But you want to listen to the likes of Ratto, Killion, Kawakami and Lynch providing no evidence allegations re: supposed rift/wearing thin Hendrix? And grumble about ’emotional’ fans who can’t make it because they don’t agree that the “identified problem” here is alleged to be the HC? I’m not buying it because this is simple group dynamics where one faction (those who identify personally w/ Balky’s style) find a reason to dismiss those with differing style and identify one individual who is the main “problem”, Jimi

Naw, there is No Evidence Hendrix is a problem except some allegations from ass kissing (FO=Balky’s) local reporters. On the other hand as I enjoyed saying yesterday they are simply demonstrating unprofessional herd mentality in piling on w/o evidence of supposed rift. No apologies fer speaking the truth my friend

Leave Nipper out of this. That’s irrelevant there 12. Stop projecting your values- or at least admit it- this is not the business world as you see it.

No evidence my butt

I haven’t bought into a fractured locker room Phil? I wonder if you mix what I say with what you think I mean. Spit suffers from that, saying I called him names when in fact I didn’t.

You choose to deny every commentary that negatively impacts Harbaugh and label it all as conspiracy or similar. Go for it.

The business model of the NFL is very similar and follows predictible patterns. Every now and then there is an aberration but in general terms its all standard fare and the negotiators of todays game all adhere to the same principals. If you read Paraag the other day he says exactly that.

Don’t know what the Boldin signing proves except he likes football, money and playing on a winning team.

You seem a might testy. Relax, its beer 30.

• “As for evidence of difficulties in the organization there is a ton of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence of exactly that centered on Harbaugh.”

Such as Ann Killion, Ratto, Lynch spreading conjecture and blowing molehills into supposed rifts w/players? Unnamed players, unnamed sources but this is evidence? I’m not willing to accept that as anything but evidence of a covert agenda to angle fer control using local lackeys. I’ve said it’s coming from your man (lol) Balky as he appears to feel threatened by a very successful HC. So use his pals who need access to attack. That’s the MO I suspect; that’s the motivation by the lap dogs I assert. Or do you have any idea why this is happening now? Balky boy wants to keep his power and control. This is very commonplace in human relations and in business world ya know.

“Conversely there is precisely zero evidence that all is hunky dory in Ninerland. These things are easy to establish. The fact that they have not established them lends more credence to the notion of disagreement.”

I submit 2 names to refute your ridiculous “zero evidence” comment- fresh today. Evidence =

Anquan Boldin

Jim Harbaugh

Let’s hear Balky Boys version. But we never will as his MO to keep control is to shut up and use proxy press to spread ‘stories’ about who he fears most. You don’t see it or agree? Fine but don’t say “evidence against JH; none that all is hunky dory in locker room”. Not true my friend. Wrong.

As far as Jimis personality rubbing some people in FO, reporters, the wrong way. So what? Tough. Deal with it. But if the response is a counter attack via 3rd parties expect blow back. Not everyone is willing to go along with these covert, cowardly methods. They should be and are being exposed for the dysfunctional control games they surely are 12.

Other than that hey a beer sounds good

• Spitblood says:

12th – The problem with you logic when writing, “Think Kaep won’t sign an 18 million a year contract because Harbaugh may not be there much longer?” is that this is only a negotiating tool. I agree with you, Kaep doesn’t care who the HC is in five years. But any kind of leverage you can find while negotiating, you use. Paraage just mentioned this publically.

Spit, you have pushed the notion that players won’t sign contracts without Harbaugh being firmly in place. That’s nonsense.

Harbaugh signed a 5 year contract not a 3 year. He has 2 left. He chose the Niners 5 mil a year contract over the larger Dolphins contract presumably because the Niners roster was far superior and his family could stay in the Bay area. Him and his agent made the mistake of not including escalators for milestones achieved. That’s on him. Boo Hoo. He outperformed the contract he agreed to no question, but it’s his own fault there is no more money yet. He has 2 years left so he needs to quit crying and keep taking his 5 mil a year. Trying to force a pay raise is a shitty tactic and can back fire.

Spit, it would be a problem with my logic if what you suggest has value. It would only be a tool if Paraag doesn’t just start laughing in the agents face for even pretending who the coach is makes a bit of difference. Leverage requires value, suggesting the deal hinges on Harbaugh’s status, even marginally, is worthless.
        Too embarrassing to even bring up, how to make yourself look like a rank amateur negotiator in one easy lesson.

Whatever happened to the “Kap will take a discount to pay other players” line or is that because Harbaugh is whining about money too? Naive. First rule of business, get paid.

• Spitblood says:

I’ve pushed the notion that players are more reluctant to sign without knowing who the coach is going to be. I’ve also pushed the notion that Harbaugh attracts talent.

Boldin 2 years 12 mil 9 mil guaranteed. Sounds about right for his age and the likelyhood that he won’t be able to repeat his numbers from last year presuming Crabs is a healthy starter. Boldin falls back to a #2 receiver unless Harbaugh wants to claim the Niners have 5 #1 receivers again.

More from that Boston Globe Kap article:

“We hear that if the 49ers don’t get in Kaepernick’s range, the quarterback would be willing to play the 2014 season at his base salary of $973,766 and postpone negotiations until next offseason instead of signing a below-market deal.”

Show me the money indeed.

• And this means what? You know what’s going on in these negotiations? How much has Kap already compromised/’given back? What number will he settle on after this supposed opening gambit?

Chill man. Kap’s okay

It means I’m addressing a news article Phil. Something we all use all the time to have something to bullshit about.

I don’t have inside info or divine insight so I read what reporters write and look for areas that make sense to me.

How do you decide what is really happening? Or will you just wait for the outcome which begs the question of what to do till September.

• This 12: “Show me the money indeed.”

So what are you saying? Kap is what? The point is?

I may be an idiot fan, but I’m not worried about these guys. Somehow …..someway they’ll hammer out their rough edges and proceed toward excellence. Now Chuck and Spit and Snarkk and others will ponder the meaning of the tea leaves and I’ll look forward to their thoughts as always. A loud BLEEP to all!

Good news on Bolding. $ sounds about right. If he craters, not a huge hit to the pocketbook. Krueger on KNBR this morning lambasted Killion for her hit piece on Harbs, as I believe he called it. I get that these guys say S to make waves, but I totally agreed with it, glad to hear somebody call out this “unnamed sources” garbage journalism…

• snarkk says:

Boldin. And John Feinstein on CBS Radio this morning called out the Killion article, too. He’s a pompous ass sometimes, but he’s got national cojones in the sports journalism arena; that was cool that he flayed that article like a cheap steak…

• Local reporters have ample motivation (access to Niners) to twist/shape their supposed ‘objective’ coverage to ensure it continues. National writers not so much. Only the blind will dismiss this as sufficient for self-interested beat scribes to put out crap like Ratto’s, Killion’s etc. with NO evidence except the unsaid “because Balky said so and I wanna keep on his good side”. Maybe people in the ‘real business world’ act differently- I doubt it tho.

This barrage of hit pieces from local yokels is coming from self-interested beat writers (the dumb ones, Matt Barrows has not indulged in such) who are currying favor with Niner FO. And this is the answer to Madden’s observation “Suits are easier to replace than coaches”. Weak there Trent, nice try

Good for Larry. Your post about Killion’s idiotic baseball HOF ballot was spot-on. How do you even call yourself a baseball writer or ‘expert’ if you can’t fill out a ballot? Fucking lunacy.

BTW, it’s great to see the Boston Globe writing pertinent things about the 49ers.

Where the fuck is our gang of incompetents?

Keeping their collective heads down lest they lose anymore goodwill with the team. It’s a tough balance being a beat writer, kiss ass and get thrown a bone every now and then or report what you believe to be really going on (their best educated guess) and risk burying the bone.

• This I agree with and it’s why we should not listen to local sources who have the obvious agenda without a large dose of salt.

Rift in locker room my ass Trent

• Niners are relevant again and others around NFL know it. But with great success comes great contempt/envy from some. “No good deed goes unpunished” it is said to which I will add: No good man (coach) goes unpunished either.

Local writers are compromised and that’s a fact I enjoy repeating. But it’s nothing new

From NFL.com:

In fewer than two years as the San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback, Colin Kaepernick already has twice as many playoff wins as Jay Cutler and Tony Romo do in 16 combined seasons.

It’s no surprise, then, that Kaepernick wants to get paid as a franchise quarterback on par with the monster contracts signed by Cutler and Romo in the past calendar year.

Kaepernick is seeking more than the $18.2 million annually that Cutler received in early January, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

If the 49ers aren’t willing to meet Kaepernick’s asking price, he hasn’t ruled out playing the 2014 season on his salary of $973,766 and cashing in as a free agent next offseason.

Why would he attack these negotiations any differently?

That $18 million to $19 million request might sound unreasonable for a relatively inexperienced quarterback, but it’s the price of doing business in today’s NFL.

The 49ers can argue that Kaepernick’s accuracy rating of 54.6 percent under pressure last season was the worst mark in the NFL. Kaepernick can counter with his 21-8 record as a starter, including a few transcendent performances in the postseason.

The bottom line is Kaepernick will get his asking price from San Francisco or another team next year if the 49ers’ brass continues to balk this offseason.

Another possibility is that the Niners let him play out the year and negotiate a deal with him based on his larger body of work or tag him. I prefer to do a deal now but it has to make sense.

Yeah, he mentions that above. Franchising him would guarantee a one year salary of $23 mill plus next year.

What would they do? Win it all and cut bait?

Who’s laughing now? I pointed to both those clowns as the basis for Kappy’s deal 2 months ago. Rightly so it appears.

I just hope he keeps his word about not breaking the bank in order to sign a deal. I still like my 5/60 extension. Say $32 guaranteed?

Hey, it ain’t my money.

Chuck, do you think they should pay him 18-20 like Romo/Cutler?

No, but i figured that’s where they’d start the negotiations from. I think $15- $16 mill would be what he gets. That’s his taking one for the team.

There is no way the Niners would let Kap go. They will get him signed, one way or another. If Kap left as a FA, the S storm above 4949 Centennial from Niner fans would be of galactic proportions…

Now Lynch is talking about “rumblings” he’s heard the past year or so about players unhappy with Harbs. http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/02/should-we-care-if-players-are-wearing-thin-on-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh/ This local media thing now is so lame. They get totally scooped by national media on all this Browns/Harbs/Baalke stuff, as usual, but this one was a really big scoop. So, they are obviously PO’d about being rendered looking clueless on it, and are also PO’d at being treated by Harbs like little kids. So, now they’re reporting stuff that supposedly they’ve seen/heard, but kept under their reporting hats until now — apparently freed by the national media to report the nasty stuff. It doesn’t matter if some of it’s true — what HC worth a dang is loved by all his players? None. A ton of Packers hated Lombardi’s ass — until after he died and all of a sudden a lot of them turned out to love and respect the guy with his name on the trophy. Lots of Niners thought Walsh was a prevaricator and a slippery dude that would cut their ass in a NY minute if he thought he could get somebody just a step better…

• Freed by national media? Naw freed by their local big boy Balky to now go after Jimi = green light, time fer you reporters to triangulate with us FO boys to try to smear “the problem child” Hendrix.

Sure Trent we’ve seen all this before and all yer fooling is a few local bloggers. Nice try dickwad

Well them and the National press.

Just wondering why, if Harbaugh would obviously win a tug o war with Baalke, that the local scribes would go after the guy they will be dealing with for the next x years?

Jed is the org so kissing up to Baalke does what? Especially since he is the expected fired party.

IIRC, the nameless ‘sources’ hit pieces were the order of the day for Nolan as was the obsession with his sideline attire. The fans cheered it then, but it’s all such a pity now? Who is it wants to get real now?

IIRC, I suggested the team wait for another year to entertain a huge contract for CK7 and it was met with all sorts of hissing and booing. Now it’s a reasonable possibility? Idiots, indeed!

Depends on your definition of a huge contract NF. I’ve seen fans suggest numbers from 8 mil to 22 mil a year. What’s huge to you?

• NoFear49er says:

Doesn’t matter what’s huge. Anything he gets will be huge money now or then. It seems to me everyone here thought it was ludicrous to wait whatever the numbers.

It’s hard to know what Paraag sees as reasonable and fair. Cutler got too much money and has flopped in Chicago so far anyway. Romo has his bad decisions but is a much better QB than CK7 is today. Whatever the problem is in Dallas, and there are many, Romo isn’t one of them.

Better to wait and see what Wilson gets next year and how CK7 handles the offense next year to deliver a contract everyone can be happy with.

$15 mill now would be better than $22 mill next year.

It isn’t imperative that they do this deal, but they are setting themselves up to get priced out of keeping him, or paying WAY too much. If he sniffs the open market, his prices goes WAAAAAAAAY up. Say $25 mill. Regardless of how this season plays out.

I mean unless it’s an abject disaster. Which I highly doubt.

Can’t say I agree. Wait for Wilson who has won a SB to set the bar for a contract sounds expensive to me. Also don’t agree that everyone here thinks pay Kap whatever he wants. Speaking for myself I prefer to pay him now as the per year amount gets spread out by negating his final year rookie contract, but not at any price. My value is $16 mil per.

Your position, if Kap does at least as well as this year, means a more expensive contract in theory and since we heard today that Boldin is back Kap starts the year with Crabs, Boldin, Davis and Patton. Chances are that with a full season of all his receivers available his numbers will be better. Add to that a 3rd year in the same system and that QB’s generally get it in their 3rd year and I don’t see the upside in waiting. No guarantee he does as well or better but seem’s more likely based on the situation.

Unless he really is asking for 18+ a year now and won’t take less as reported today. In that case there is no financial gain but the only real benefit being they have locked him up.

• I’m with 12 on this one = $16 mil per year now is cheaper than it ever will be again. Also like NJs thought to sign him looong term to spread out Kap’s cap hit = 7-8 years.

I for one think that’s a fool’s way out. They very well could price themselves out of the running. Buuuuut, like I said, he wins the Super Bowl and leaves?

Could happen.

No tag for Whitner. Means he can negotiate with other teams now. He had a sub standard year in 2012 but came back hard last year (contract year). I would like to see him back on a 2 year.

In Nolan’s case it was justified. He was a moron of epic proportions in dealing with the press, and especially his dealings with his players. And the old standy, “I need to look at the tape to discover where I fucked up again.”

The local media can’t find their own assholes from all the holes in their collective heads. Why don’t they go talk to Brandon Jacobs again?

The Boston Globe reports the Boldin signing? Way to go guys. Don’t even have a fucking Twitter account? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

• NoFear49er says:

That’s the point. Once you turned against Nolan all manner of shit heaped on him was justified to you. It made no difference whether any of it was true, as long as it was Nolan getting shit it was good.

You haven’t turned against Harbaugh or Kaepernick, yet, so the exact same type of journalistic garbage is idiotic now according to you.

The local media hasn’t changed.

FYI, “I need to look at the tape.” is a standard HC reply to the press when pushing a coach to condemn someone. Nolan didn’t invent it despite your best efforts to make it appear so and your ridiculous embellishments in quotes.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

• Jimi is a better coach based on record and based on his savvy dealing with media, players and FO. So I don’t buy the supposed (no evidence!) stories / hit pieces floated by local clowns Ratto, TK, A Killion, Maiocco, Lynch. But NF the media is an equal opportunity abuser and the same unfair treatment Nolan got is now being auditioned on Jimi- there is no question their MO has not changed. The local media have an obvious built in bias and motivation to keep on ‘good side’ of FO . This is nothing new. And yes we should call them on it!

It WAS true though. Nolan did well getting the dead weight off the team, and had a couple good drafts. He was a shitty head coach, though. I said at the time he’d never be a head coach again, and so far I’m right. He seems to have found his niche as a somewhat decent DC. Even that can be debated though. But I’ll leave that to you.

My problem with the team now is they are still playing the smashmouth game he tried so hard to run. Singletary couldn’t do it either. Harbaugh has been somewhat successful doing it.

And the point remains. If Harbaugh/Roman play this game the same way they have the past 3 years, they’ll likely fail in the playoffs again. And if so, I’ll turn on this batch of guys as well. Why? Because we’ve ALL see the offense struggle to pass at various times in the last couple seasons. Some due to personnel issues, some to playcalling, some due to the maturity of the QB. If they don’t grow, they will fail. As Harbaugh is so wont to say, things do not stay the same. You are either getting better or getting worse. We didn’t get better last year. This year? They need to adapt or they will get worse.

• NoFear49er says:

Nolan had to run it that way. He had Alex Smith and not much else. He tried to get a QB’s OC to stick and receivers for Alex. He even tried to let Alex sit for a while. Injuries to the other three QBs forced Alex to play and thus the run game is what we had. Every coach since has seen it the same way. Alex wasn’t going to be Peyton Manning. Nolan came into to a mess and Harbaugh came in to a great roster. Somehow, you can’t see the difference.

Harbaugh/Roman didn’t fail in the playoffs because of their style of offense. Everybody knows this except the few out of work head coaches on your blog screaming for a pass heavy run and shoot offense. The same offense that has gotten Harbaugh the genius label, Alex Smith new value in the league and have the fans crying to give him whatever he wants is what got us to those championship games three years in a row.

You will see more passing as CK7 develops the skills needed to implement a better passing game without risking too much to make it happen. Not because you’ve been crying for eight years for it but because it will give the team a more powerful offense to have more balanced capability.

Bullshit. A Smith just threw for more yards than he ever had as a Niner in his 1st year under Reid. He said the passing offense was way too structured and lacked any flexibility.

• I wasn’t following Niners too closely in those days but NFs analysis seems pretty good. Now it/s ancient history and we have a whole new regime to worry about/root fer. But the media esp. local is always ready to lick the FO boots and try to knock down HC. However winning is best guarantee they don’t gain traction.

Kappy is in the same boat as Smith. We rarely go deep so it’s hard to develop a deep passing game when it isn’t used. When we had Ginn, how many deep balls did he catch for us? From either Smith or Kappy?

Poor Tony never catches a break. I mean it wasn’t his fault he took a vacation with bimbo #8 Jessica (tuna of the land) Simpson when he was supposedly preparing for a playoff game. A game the Cowboys lost to the Giants.

The 49ers just re-signed Ed Donantel (sp?) to a two year deal, insuring he can’t go be a DC next year. Wonder if it’s just because Ed’s good, or if the 49ers have plans to draft another safety in place of Whitner? Culliver, Brock, Reid and a rookie safety? That reminds me of 81′ and although some would hate it because of the lack of leadership, I’d love it. Either way, the 49ers have to chose between Brown and Whitner. Skill and talent-wise I’d go with Brown. Whitner will always be too short, and shrinking. However, knowledge and leadership-wise, I go with Whitner. Question is who will fit under the cap after Boldin’s new contract and if Kaep re-signs? Re-signing Ed means the 49ers have some flexibility.

I don’t think it’ll be too expensive to keep them both, but we’ll see. We certainly have more bodies at CB, but we don’t know how good they are. Or how well Culliver is doing. Dahl and Ventrone don’t inspire much, though.

I’d lean toward Whitner if it comes down to that.

The Steelers and Browns have used the transition tag today on key players, meaning they can match. I’d figure out who has the softer market, cornerback or safety, and use the transition tag on either Brown or Whitner, accordingly.

• Excellent article Chuck. Good timing by Jimi. He’s done what I recommended Balky do: put out a statement “everything’s fine; Jimi’s great”. Quoting:

” He said that repeatedly: He loves working for the 49ers. Also, to be clear about this, in case there is any confusion, Harbaugh did not sound agitated. He was just answering the questions I asked.

The speculation about Harbaugh may persist — that is part of sports and part of the media culture. A lot of people have opinions about the situation. Now you know Harbaughs.”

Notice this did NOT come out in the local media. Notice Balky has nothing to say to spoil his “I’m a hard ass in control freak boss and don’t you ferget it Maiocco self image”. Dickwad

And bravo for Jim getting out in front of the local tempest in a teapot about some big rift. Nice try Balky

All is well and good in Ninerland. Right?

Boldin seems to think there’s no issues in the locker room, at least.

Yeah, and I think Boldin’s right about the players and the coaches. I think there is a rift between Harbaugh and the front office, but I think that resolves itself one way or another with Harbaugh staying in SF.

Chuck the SI piece, at least on the surface, clears up the conjecture I was sensing about whether he and Baalke share a common view of the teams’ needs.

They can squabble all they want, so long as they aren’t undermining each others’ efforts.
    Key to me from that article, Jim appreciating how much effort Trent put’s into his job.
    Anyone can have business disagreements, so long as those differences don’t ultimately undermine the overall goals.

Good too, to see Jim downplaying the suggestions that he wants more input or control.
    Facts remain, he’s under Contract for 2 more years.

I’m feeling better about his attitude toward getting the players prepared to challenge.
    First and foremost, it’s about Coaching.
    He seems focused in that regard.

As for the Kaep related Contract expectations?
    Agree with several of you here, Kaep has much to learn before he can assume to be an elite/Franchise QB.
    However, I can safely assume he is OUR Franchise QB.

The Cutler/PRomo Contracts serve as the basis by which I expected them to focus, simply as the current Comps.
    Neither of those 2 has done what Kaep has, in terms of Playoff success.
    Neither has the running ability Kaep affords either.

In the grand scheme of NFL Contracts and, the related negotiations that go along with them, I’m still comfortable with seeing Kaep in a longer term deal, with a healthy up-front bonus.
    In the end, it’s all about having the Cap hit minimized.

He’s young enough IMO, to consider something in the 8yr range perhaps?
    Fluff it up, pay a good portion up front, leave the guaranteed portion manageable for the yearly Cap impact.
    The Cap went up by $10M this year, expected to jump another $10M by 2015.

I think they can get this done easily.
    $18M?
    It’s probably the higher end of the spectrum for me but, it’s a negotiating tactic too.
    One side aims high, the other low, you compromise.
    That’s what incentives are for.

What’s telling about the SI article is that Harbaugh didn’t go to CSN Bay Area. Maiocco is dangerously close to alienating himself from Harbaugh, suggesting Tomsula. But hey, when you’ve got the Niner front office pumping you information, you don’t need Harbaugh….. much. I’ll be paying close attention to how Harbaugh answers Maiocco’s questions.

And there’s no way Harbaugh goes to the Press Dem. Maybe he goes to the Sac Bee to tell his story. Not the Merc because Cam isn’t a player. Interesting he chose SI.

SI is a National Mag (site) too Spit.
      One stop, more exposure.
      As for Maiocco, I see him as a pretty straight-shooter.

Tomsula got tapped for the interim gig once before.
      No stretch to go there IMO.

I’m guessing this rift had more to do with the disappointments of another NFCC game failure.
      Easy spot for the sniping and frustrations to surface.
      Especially when your most hated Division foe steps on your manhood and grabs the hardware.

Also good to see Harbaugh lobbying for extensions on his Staffs’ behalf.
      Might suggest there’s some desire to ride this out, as a unified effort to remain intact?

• It’s quite likely NJ. This is a press driven payback attempt- hit pieces- in the service of currying favor with the current GM. Jed has already said “JH is going to be our HC going forward for foreseeable future”. Jimi sez “No big issues here. I’m good”. Boldin sees no rift w/ players & HC.

Winners = 49ers, Harbaugh, Jed and Boldin for signing early. Not to mention us fans

Losers = most of the local media manipulator hacks.

Phil it’s good to read suggestions that there’s still a sense of confidence between Baalke and Harbaugh.

IMO, any good organization in the NFL needs the GM/HC tandem to be working side-by-side.
        I’m glad to at least hear something other than the regurgitated, rehashed rhetoric that got delivered by way of Cleveland.

Get me some young WRs in May and let’s have at it.

Chuck to further fuel your Who themed thread.
    Let’s serve up some 9er related Who tunes……

Harbaugh/Baalke – I Can’t Explain
    The Contract Kaep WON”T settle for – 5:15
    The Contract Kaep SHOULD sign for – Bargain
    What Jed and the FO is hoping for – Join Together
    What the Team wants – Magic Bus
    What we the Fans are saying – Won’t Get Fooled Again
    What we the Fans DEMAND – Eminence Front

Hey Chuck, no bullshit! Alex is in his ninth year. He’s as good as he’s likely going to get. His INTs were way up, too. And he’s still in the same role being bailed out by a top defense, just throwing checkdowns to a RB and WRs that get more YAC.

Who was Alex’s number one receiver? Yeah, that’s right. Harbaugh was soooo restrictive he saved his ass and took him from a nobody-wants to a decent trade. Yer bullshit IS bullshit, so is Alex’s.

• NF I’m late to this party so all I have is questions. What is the dispute between you and Chuck? Alex? Nolan? Media? 100 other things? I guess this is old history but maybe some things haven’t changed even if the players have? Like aspects of our O = run first, no deep passes (few)?

• NoFear49er says:

Hey Phil, we have a unspoken agreement. He disagrees with everything I post and I return the favor.

It started back about the time Nolan was hired. Chuck thought the world of him then and defended him with all the rage he bashes him with nowadays. He was planning to wear a suit to a game in support of Nolan back in those days. FlyingV68 used to love to remind Chuck of that one. All good fun I guess.

I’ve always thought highly of Nolan as a coach and a good man and that’s probably the basic what, where and why of it. Chuck liked to say Nolan would never coach again once he got fired but that has recently morphed into Nolan would never head coach again. Of course that will change, too, at some point. and so it goes…

• Gotcha, long history there. Funny the automatic disagreement but seems accurate…

Jason Cole tonight on KNBR said he believed Kap would/should be asking for at least around $18M a year for at least 4 years, given that the QB franchise tag number is somewhere around that, and will be higher next season, with maybe $30 – $35M guaranteed, and that the Niners would/should be happy to to close that kind of deal since it will only get steeper the longer they wait…

Suggestion Chuck –
    For a later thread…..In honor of the Fillmore West.
    Carlos Santana?

What we as 9er Fans have given – Soul Sacrifice
    For San Francisco – Treat
    What we feel like right about now – Fried Neckbones and some Homefries
    What we’ve been doing since ’94 – Waiting
    What it feels like of late – Evil Ways
    What we’d like to continue to do – Savor
    Good 9er Fight Song – Jingo

32. I figured out what was bothering me personally about the triangulation business w/Balky and the local writers: dang if the dynamic as I see it there aren’t the ‘same’ as what we’re caught up with out here in one of our forest businesses: As 12 is aware we have one of our small forests (trees for commercial lumber) in a lousy partnership. This bozo is using his local friends to try to steal our investment (triangulation against us). So the situation in 9erland pushes those buttons fer me.

Or as Gilda Radner sez: Nevermind…

33. Naturally I stand by everything I wrote but maybe a little less hot sauce on that taco and less mustard on that hot dog?

Jim “The truth” Harbaugh is a very savvy guy, prickly but no dummie. He has no good options for this season so he puts the powder away to save it for next time. Either way it played out as we expected, he is coaching under his existing contract this year at least so let’s see what they can do to add to the swag in the trophy case.

So, it’s my fault NoFear is never right? He just sees things through a dirty pane of glass. 90% of his posts are of the Debbie Downer variety.

Good to see you lie like the obfuscating slug you are. I never said anything about the suit (funny thing is, V lived off that, curious, eh?), and you of course suck NOlan’s dick at every opportunity. When he threw his QB under the bus, and let him get pounded on the field when his shoulder was already torn to shreds, yeah, I lost what he was selling. And that was buster and hot air. He left Dildo out there for 3 weeeks after it was obvious he was toast as a QB. His hysterically funny comment was, right befoire Dilfer got knocked unconscious, and thus out of the game, was, “I was going to takle him out at halftime.” Lucky for Nolan, he let Dilfer get blasted to oblivion. Thanks, coach! Since the rest of the NFL seems to agree with me, I guess I was right about that as well.

I suppose if Alex Smith was a prosthelytizer as opposed to a more reserved guy, he’d be God’s gift to QBs, but as it is, that spot is reserved for the LA Kiss’s new QB. Oh, that’s right, Tebow didn’t even make the cut for the Arena league. Gene Simmons passed on Teeblow and went with Colt Brennan. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. Has he done any more commercial spots with Dilfer, speaking of him?

But it’s all good. To each his or her own.

• Sorry about that, I had to axed NF. It does run deep and way back I see that. Yeah there’s six sides to every story and since I’m so late to the party I’ll stay in the middle = official policy gonna be “Hell I dunno”. But it makes fascinating reading lol.

Tebow just wants celebrity and he’s getting plenty of that so no worries. Do believe his football days are done. He’ll stay in the (edge of) the news tho.

It’s no big deal. It’s just that for everything I post here, or anywhere else, NoFear has potshotted it relentlessly. If I posted the sky is blue, he’d refute that. He has some sort of unrequited love for me I suppose. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

He and V could not get enough of blathering incessantly about bullshit they made up and blasted in my name over at the Insider back in the unfiltered days. Like the suit, the myth of Joe, Eddie’s rise and fall, and Steve Young. On and on and on, V would post long inane posts which drove most sane people nuts. Spitty got into the act, too, but at least he had fun with it.

Hence the 49ers Unfiltered blog. That one was done in by V. I had no control over things, and thus killed that to go to a more controllable blog. I rarely go to the Insider, but once in a while it’s funny to see V in yet another one of his 85 screen names posting the same retarded nonsense. He was bullitwongrazor, unca_chick, and about 10 other variations of syncophatic names who would be ultra ultra fanboy types. When that got old, he’d switch to his usual banter of “Eddie!, Joe! Jerry!” and rip everything about the current team under a new pseudonym.

36. Funny, Jimi Hendrix is featured on the front page of Wikipedia this morning. Jimi Hendrix not Jim Harbaugh media maestro. I read his entry sometime after Chuck posted the Moby Grape song “Omaha” as part of the mystery tour of 60s nostalgics. Filmore West (where I never visited)? Ask me. Or better yet look it up. Winterland, Avalon Ballroom? They got it all right there in Wikipedia.

Janis Joplin was a lesbian with a steady girlfriend? What do you think “Down on Me” referred to? Fuck I had not a clue. Thought it was about some dude dumping on her. You want facts? Wikipedia, get some. Facts that is not that Joplin shit.

But I digress. Harbaugh pulls another rabbit outta his…hat. Lol it sure got quiet after Jimi played the denial card so smoothly. Who me? Naw you all are imagining things. Power, money? No way. Kawakami was backing off so fast he burned rubber. But he’ll stick out his contract fer two more years then sign a nice extension hopefully after SB win 6 is in the bag. Damn maybe Kap will hire him to carry his golf bag for a couple rounds with the fat bank Kap stands to make.

But gotta love the sounds of silence not emanating from our local boot lickers. Boom! Detriangulation. That’s how you do it.

As NJ sez- just get us some WRs in May we’ll be alright.

Phil I would lay money Harbaugh won’t complete his contract as is. He was in talks with Jed after his second year, confirmed by Jed not reporters, but Harbaugh broke off the talks for reasons unknown. A guess would be that talks opened based on Harbaugh getting to the SB and that Jed see’s a difference between getting there and winning in terms of contract money.

Harbaugh will want to get paid next year by the Niners or someone else regardless of the season outcome. No way he coaches a lame duck final year for 5 mil.

The good news is the the coaching team is still together for another year.

For NJ. Funny thing is, in the late 70s, when Clapton and Santana were both out there touring, whenever one would play in the Bay Area, the other would come out and jam for 3-4 songs as an encore.

Crazy fun times . . . Even crazier is my older sister used to see them play at Sequoia high school, San Mateo high, and small clubs in the city before they rocketed to fame at Woodstock.

One of my faves:

Some serious guitar face in this one . . .

New thread is up.