The 21st Century NFL

Brought to you by Roger Goodie Goodell . . .

The National Football League is in the news a lot lately, unfortunately for Roger Dodger, it ain’t all good. First off we have the Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin he said/he said imbroglio around Incognito’s harassment and subsequent twitter frenzy, the arrest of NFL Network stalwart (and, creepily, the self-proclaimed pick magnet) Darren Sharper, who was charged with drugging and raping 2 women in LA, with pending charges in 3 other states, and throw in Ray Rice beating his fiancee unconscious, and there you go. Life in the NFL fist lane.

The Incognito deal just won’t go away for poor ol’ Jolly Roger (he of the $44.2 million in earnings last year. It’s good to be da king). The Wells report details a pattern of homophobic, racial, and general assholery harassment of certain teammates and an Asian trainer by some of the Dolphin players. If you are really bored/interested/insomniacial, here’s the report in its entirety:

Makes you wonder how ready the typical NFL locker room is for an openly gay player. As in Mike Sam, All-SEC defensive player of the year. I’d love to think that our country has moved on from our puritan ways in regards to sexuality and how adults conduct themselves in their their own bedrooms, and certainly more and more states are allowing gay marriage, but the NFL is at best a very private club among people who nominally give their all to meet a common goal. This isn’t war or battle or any such nonsense, but football is a violent game played by large aggressive men. The locker room is supposed to be an-off-limits place where these guys decompress after the intensity of a game. At its worst, the locker room can apparently be a place of constant and endless bullshit from the very guys you are struggling to win games with. Seems like a pretty stupid way to build a coheseive offensive line to say the least.  At some point, you’d think the coaches would at least tell them to tone shit down some. It turns out they were in on the harassment, and encouraged it.

Yes, I’m sure there is a lot of stuff going on in many locker rooms that would gross out/disgust/piss off regular folks, but these aren’t regular folks. But for Richie Incognito to be seen as anything other than a shit-dusturbing troublemaker is pretty weak. Even given the support of some of his teammates. The fact that the coaches place him high up on the leadership council (or whatever it was) is even more insane. When you see how Sam’s college teammates reacted to his coming out before the 2013 season, you see that people can adjust their perspective on things when it becomes real to them.

How this works in the NFL remains to be seen. Given the off-the-cuff comments by Chris Culliver, and Jonathan Vilma’s preening statments (if I’m showering with a gay guy, how can he resist me?) I really wonder if he even gets drafted. I’d like to think it’ll happen, but the owners are a very good-old-boy network, and they don’t appear to be ready for this. NIMBY indeed. Regardless, I wouldn’t hold my breath for the Dolphins to draft him.

Anyhow, there has been no official reaction to Miami’s handling of the Incognito deal from the league office. The thought though is Goodell drops the hammer on Miami as he did on the Pats and Spygate, and the Saints on Bounty-gate. Incognito likely gets some kind of major suspension. Lifetime? Right Just like Gregg Williams.

Speaking of Williams, did anyone notice that his ‘lifetime’ suspension lasted all of 2 years? Williams quietly slipped back into the DC job he was supposed to get after he blew the Niner playoff game back in 2012. Great. Goodie Goodell is certainly very good at the old smoke-and-mirrors parlor trick. Nothing to see here. Pay attention to all the money we just got from CBS for broadcasting some Thursday night football games! Cha-ching!

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

154 Responses to The 21st Century NFL

Gregg Williams is good at his job despite going man coverage against Vernon in the playoffs. Gregg will make the Rams a much improved defense, and they already have a lot of great players on defense. If the Rams can get healthy play from Bradford and Zac Stacey continues to shine, the Rams will make some noise. If the 49ers or Seahawks slip just a little, the Rams will slide into a playoff spot. But don’t sleep on the Cardinals either. Bruce Arians in his second year with Carson, Floyd and Fitz, also with that defense, will be tough as well. Everyone said the NFC West was the best division in football last year. Next year, with Arians in his second year and Gregg Williams in St Louis, the NFC West might become the best division ever. That conversation won’t have merit until the end the year, though.

Goodell making 44 million pissed me off big time. I think Calvin Johnson only made 18. If Goodell made that much, how much do you think the owners made? The players need a better union.

This locker room stuff has been an open secret for years. It’s like the Priests bullshit in so far as everyone knows it goes on but it’s swept under the carpet for the greater good, then we are all “shocked” when evidence comes to light, gimme a break..

As for this kid Sam I don’t know if he hurt his stock or not but why take the chance? He could just as easily announced himself after the draft and not taken a risk.

Other than that it’s another non story since everyone knows gays are and have been playing in the NFL for years yawn..

Williams is what he is. An excitable guy who got caught cheating. Very disingenuous for Goodie Goodell to let him come back after 2 years. The blowback is over apparently.

Williams was suspended _indefinitely_ not permanently IIRC.

2 years is plenty considering what you get for murder in Goodell’s world.

Williams was in the league last year with Tennessee. I can’t remember his official title with Tennessee, but he was on the sidelines, picking up a pay check.

Indefinitely, lifetime, 10 months?

I missed Gregg’s reinstatement last year and his subsequent hire by the Titans. What a joke.

Goodell’s the king of window dressing.

12th, I’m pretty certain Sam came out before the draft to get in front of it, and to not be forced to lie in the combine.

You think the combine would have outed him? I figured the NFL was in line with the military on this, don’t ask don’t tell kinda stuff. All the other gay football players going through the combine before him kept their secret. I thought he did it just to be the first and was worried some other candidate would beat him to it.

To me it was dumb to make himself stand out that way before the draft but time will tell. Will he be a good pro football player has become secondary to he will be the first known gay football player.
      Infamous rather than famous.

Good piece Chuck.
    As we’ve all seen, the NFL cares about the bottom line, first and foremost.

Roger is paid by the owners, while holding ultimate power over the game.
    Quite the private enterprise huh?

Protected from taxes, workplace laws and the like, only serves to provide ‘The Shield’ with near untouchable power.

In the general business world, this kind of arrangement is called collusion.
    Gets to the heart of our recent musings, regarding the Vegas Factor and, the ability of Roger and HIS Officials to drive a game outcome.

Injury lists are another factor.
    Remove a given player on gameday, move the needle in Vegas.
    It’s gotten a lot more conspicuous for me in recent years.
    But, it is what it is, entertainment for profit.

Think of the days when a mortal human was trotted into a coliseum to entertain the masses against a lion.
    No question where the money was wagered in those matchups.

I stand by my Shipping Container hostage theory.
      The Mob still exists to enforce a given agenda.

Where there’s money, there’s corruption.

Thanks. It’s not like it hasn’t already happened with a pro sport. The whole tail wagging the dog kind of deal.

12th, I don’t think they would have outed Sam. I think he didn’t want to lie to them. And I seriously don’t think he came out now to be the first.

He at least knocked himself down a couple rounds, and maybe right out of, the draft. He was slated to go anywhere from 3 to 7, and he could simply fall out of the draft. The owners have plenty of time to discuss among themselves how they want to deal with this.

It always comes down to production on the football field with any potential Draftee.
      Sam felt is was necessary, for whatever reason, to be honest about his sexuality.

I don’t for a minute believe, there aren’t others playing Professional sports, that are Gay.
      They’ve just chosen to keep it private.
      To each his own.

What Sam has done is leveled the playing field for anyone who might have had concerns about it in their Locker Rooms.
      Help or hurt?
      Probably hurts him more because he’s limited his options for potential employment.
      Either way, he’s obviously felt it more worhwhile to be open about it.

It’s not just about being in the closet anymore.

Sam played at Mizzou. The Rams would seems like a logical choice re: location, except their DC is now Gregg Williams, so good luck with that…

Justin and Aldon played for Mizzou too.
      How’d it sit with Culliver if Baalke brought another Mizzou like Sam to SF?

I do like EJ Gaines and Kony Ealy from Mizzou however.
      It’s wide open in terms of possibilities.

• philippinefan says:

Culliver has already bowed his head to the gays in locker room issue. (Unlike Duck Dynasty head dude whazzis name, very different circumstance) so this will not be an issue for him or Niners I guess.

12. philippinefan says:

It happens sometimes that other priorities/agendas are more important than playing a sport (or any other career too) for a particular player at a particular time. So they make a decision and maybe later it proves to be wise or maybe they wind up regretting it. That’s up to them no one else. M Sam may be making the right call for himself, I dunno. I don’t really care. Same with Tebow: celebrity is enough, never mind developing football skills? Fine, have at it. I like TT and wish he had continued in pro football but he’s gone in another direction for whatever reason- maybe no job offers? No worries.

It’s all good but if I was M Sam I woulda waited until after the draft just in case.

Phil I’m a guy that believes you keep your personal life and business life FAR,FAR apart.
    Nothing good ever comes from crossing that line IMO.

However, I appreciate the fact that MSam felt it necessary to be honest with who he is.
    Again, to each, his own.
    We already know he can play football and, be recognized for his accomplishments in that regard.

Like Tebow, someone will take a chance on him simply because he’s a football player.
    It likely will cost MSam some serious money on Draft weekend.

NYJ Sheldon Richadson came out in defense of MSam recently too.
    He indicated to the media that he knew about MSam when they played together at Mizzou, even roomed with him.

As a friend and fellow team mate, he had no issues with it.
    Quite a standup gesture on his part IMO.
    It’s just a more accepted occurence with the younger guys these days.

No doubt it’s a Generational adjustment taking place.

No concerns on my part.
    Be happy in your own skin.
    Live and let live.

12th man, DADT policy was ended in the military by the teleprompter-reader-in-chief a couple years ago IIRC. Most folks that were real soldiers before are real soldiers still, mainly concerned with doing their jobs and trying not to be distracted by focus shifts to the current administration’s social engineering plays to garner some special interest votes.

Like the military, if it doesn’t help the military fight wars better, why do it?

The social engineering has resulted in a bunch of stupid changes in long standing policy and a whole bunch of fat single women trying to get pregnant and stay undeployable.

If Sam gets what he wants, ie, not just to be able to play, but to show he can be in your face and make you accept it, can women in the league be far behind?

• Spitblood says:

I think you could argue that a more honest military would actually help the military fight wars better. Denial helps nobody. Just don’t have that cocksucker in my squad.

It’s funny that Singletary didn’t get the “it’s a personal choice” pass for wearing a big cross around his neck. He was vilified endlessly for that here.

The only reason to make it an issue is to make it an issue.

• Spitblood says:

I find myself defending cocksuckers tonight, which is really somethin’. Singletary’s cross was vilified here because his actions didn’t match what his cross stood for. He didn’t behave like a Christian. See Dennis O’Donnell (sp?), Micheal Lewis and his agent, Kentwaun Balmer, Scot McCloughan (and the list goes on). If Singletary acted the Christian, I wouldn’t have vilified him about his inconsistencies in his personal life. Now his football acumen? That’s a whole different kettle of fish.

But that’s not even the real issue. The real cock suckin’ issue is that gays want to be free and open about their sexuality in all areas of their lives – without persecution for doing nothing wrong other than biting a few pillows from time to time. Singletary did things wrong. So far Sam hasn’t. Now if Sam goes hunting for mule deer in Nevada, I’m gonna ridicule the bastard I’m going to ridicule the CSer for being inconsistent. Playing football gay is one thing, but if you start bow hunting gay with Cat Scratch Fever, that’s just too much for me too fast. I’m still warmin’ up to this whole deal.

Singletary was free to wear his cross without persecution if he wasn’t a hypocrite. Mike Sam just wants to shoulder his cross without persecution.

The beauty of it for me is that douchebag or not, I’ll fry ’em both. Inconsistency, consistency…. I’m an equal opportunity hater. But at least I see the difference. Why do I do it? ‘Cause I’m a mean, evil SOB who likes the status quo and enjoys finding the chink in the armor I can expose and beat into oblivion.

Here’s the link to the interview with Sheldon Richardson –

Spitblood, it’s got nothing to do with sexual orientation. I really couldn’t care less. It has to do with it becoming a distraction. No different than unpaid bill collectors calling the commander or drug habits or anything else that causes him to lose focus and become undependable or distracted from the mission.

The main mission becomes getting the post commander to change the rules so that a post chaplain can marry two guys in the post chapel, even if the clergyman has his own religious objections, so that mission and training become less and less important. Is that what the military is for now? Is that what the NFL is for now?

• Spitblood says:

I totally get what you’re saying and I agree with you. I don’t want to be a in helicopter going into battle when some dude next to me says, “If I die today, Spitblood, I just want you to know I’ve always had a crush on you.” I’ll still get my head right once the ‘copter sets down, but I didn’t need that.

However, my point is that through time and acceptance there’s no longer a distraction. Very few people living in a town like say, Seattle, would walk up to a black man today and slap him across the face and call him the N word. But they used to and probably still do in other parts of the country. In more progressive towns, like Seattle, there’s little racism and it’s improving all the time. Point is that it’s a process.

It’s the same with gays in the military. It will take time for gays to be accepted into the ranks – especially in the Marines. But if you got there, no matter how long it took, you’d have a better fighting force because there would be no secrets and people would be free to be themselves. I’ve never served, but I know it’s about the guy next to you. What if the guy next to you is forced to live a lie? He’s weaker so you’re weaker. The team is weaker. You want the team to be as strong as possible. In this case, strengthening the team requires changing attitudes and beliefs, and that takes time. It’s not a good policy to thwart the process of evolving a unit even if it’s a distraction for several years, maybe even decades.

Well said Spit.
        Focus on the mission at hand.
        United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

In that context is where the NFL is often compared to the Military.
        One focus, one purpose.
        You count on your partners to give it all they have when it counts.
        Weakest link theory.

• NoFear49er says:

Well, I don’t agree and I have been there. In my war we didn’t have Skype and email but when a guy got a letter from home nobody asked who it was from. Two or three guys could share an apartment off base and nobody automatically thought “gay.” We didn’t outlaw words, even if they were derogatory. You think it’s better now? Be careful how you answer, the feebees are recording you.

And racism is rampant, much thanks to zero. Only the whites can’t express it anymore and nothing wrong with expressing hate for whitey. Have you ever heard an Attorney General of the United States declare he would never bring hate crime charges against any black person before the current idiot holding that office? (substitute any race you want for ‘black’ or any laws for ‘hate crimes’)

Do you think that’s not racism? Blatant racism? Black gangs go around assaulting unsuspecting white victims by sucker punching them and nobody is charged and it’s called a game until they get a white guy victimizing a black in the same way then they prosecute for hate crimes? No racism there?

Electing and re-electing Obama proves whites aren’t as racist as everyone wants to accuse them of being but he’s brought racism back in a big way. And I don’t think anyone ever walked up to black man in Seattle and slapped him in the face and called him an “N word.” Now tell me you don’t feel like a first grader having to say things like “the N word.”

That’s it in a nutshell NoFear49er.
      Reverse racism, if you will.

I grew up in a very racially charged time, and environment, during the late 60s early 70s.
      Because I was always involved in Sports during that time, I had many friends of the black variety.

For me, the N-word had more to do with attitude, not skin color.
      One choses to participate in the color game.
      I never do.

You’re either a decent human being or, you aren’t.
      Judge people on character.

Justice should be color blind IMO.
      Sadly, it often isn’t.
      Equality is a much too selective, and loosely applied term, in our society.

Yes, NoFear. Thank God someone sticks up for the poor rich white folks. They’ve had it so hard for so long.

Electing Obama did very little for race relations in this country. Go anywhere south of the Mason/Dixon line and see how people feel about race relations.

The United States Navy didn’t allow racial integration until 1953, a full five years after the CiC’s executive order demanding it from all branches.
    This knife cuts many ways. I submit that the U.S. Navy is by far the greatest, most powerful navy in the world. Integration and its enforced tolerance hasn’t sapped her strength in war or peace.
    Openly homosexual players will be on NFL teams. It will take some teams and their metro areas longer than others to accept.
    Here’s a poser for you regarding established discrimination. If an over 21 year old NCAA player, even one from a school like Alabama, visits CO or WA state on his own time and later tests positive for marijuana, will he be suspended or banished? Despite the great possibility that, under the 10th Amendment of The Bill of Rights, he has violated no laws save those instituted by the NCAA (and I daresay, not enforced on the student body at large)?
    Acceptance and tolerance in the workplace will be difficult and may take a long time, but it will happen.
    On a personal note, NF, I have heard Law Enforcement Officers refer to blacks, sneeringly, and as a whole class of people, as N*s. My uncle the jarhead lived in the FL panhandle. They no longer lynch there because no blacks dare try to live there. Just across the border from Bama, come to think of it.

NoFear –
    I do think we’ll get to a place as a species where all men are equal, judged only by the quality of their thoughts and actions. I do think we’ll get to a place in the military where openly gay people are accepted and even made leaders. We have a black president. Right now we might still have racism, or reverse racism, but the act of electing a black man will help continue to knock down barriers long into the remainder of the century. The same will happen with gays in the military, but that will take time too.

I think that’s the natural order of things, and how we’ll evolve as a species. Kaep recently said, when asked about Sam, “doesn’t matter if he’s black, white, straight, gay, jewish…. etc.” Today people are still taking about slights due to differences (prejudice). But someday, probably long after you and I are gone, that question will no longer be asked of a star qb, and the answer will be taken for granted.

Think about how Sam would be received in the 1960’s NFL. Think about how gays would be received in the military in the 60’s? Now fast forward to 2064. Hell, they probably won’t even have ethnicity. We’ll probably all just mulattoishy Mexican color. And we’ll probably all be bi sexuals. Mulattoishy / Mexican bi sexuals playing two hand touch football where if you breathe on the receiver going over the middle you need to go to sensitivity training . Remind me how that’s evolution? That’s why I’m a racist cracker homophobe. The wild west was way more fun. Pretty soon (if not already) people will live very boring, sterile lives without thrills, excitement or danger. Mankind will be softer than Rob at the spa. No thank you.

I don’t know about you, but I would have taken both Magic Johnson and James Worthy on my basketball team. Perhaps I missed it, but I never heard Magic refer to whom or to what gave him HIV. James Worthy was a virgin, as he didn’t believe in sex before marriage. Didn’t matter, they beat my Celtics (part owner, 1 share of common stock before they became a limitied partnership) 2 throws to 1 in the Championships. I would have been delighted if the Lakers had kept Magic off their club for whatever sexual orientations he really is. Or Worthy for “not fitting in.”

Either that, or the corporations (see: Rollerball) take over, and it becomes anything goes (Westworld), as long as it drives corporate profits.

Or we kill the oceans, and Soylent Green comes to pass. Funny how that movie was talking about how global warming killed the oceans in the late 20 teens, and we thus become necrophiliac cannibals.

Man, those movies back in the 70s were awesome. Drawwwwwwwwwwwww!

Ah, the white guilt here is killing me. At least you’ve been “properly” educated and indoctrinated.

You can’t use racial integration/segregation as the model to excuse everything.

“Why, I remember the old days when a cowboy couldn’t marry his horse or his sister or five twelve year-olds.”

But as for the discussion of Mr. Sam, it wouldn’t matter to me until you shove it in my face (so to speak) or make me pay for it. So far it sounds like Sam wants to do both.

White guilt? More Fox talking points. Do you ever crawl out from under your rock? Yes, I’ve been indoctrinated in how to tolerate differences in religion, race and gender. Unlike you, whose view point seems to be those damn uppity negros should know their place. As well as everyone else that doesn’t conform to the views of a 1930s plantation owner. Because wanting to live one’s life without fear of retaliation for sexual preference is shoving it in your face.

Carry on McDuff.

• NoFear49er says:

Bullshit Chuck. Yes, you’re full of it and freakin’ delusional. You ALWAYS express your hatred of whites, republicans, and Christians like a good little liberal whacko. The ONLY thing you have any degree of tolerance for is people sharing your own stupid belief system.

Fox? That’s your canned reply to everything you disagree with? Don’t you get tired of someone’s hand up your ass making your brain appear to work? I s’pose not.

Song seemed appropriate today.

I’m an old white straight guy for anybody who doesn’t know me, though I am a minority living in an 86% Hispanic town (don’t be deceived by Hispanic chicks BTW, they’re drop dead gorgeous as fillies, but the mares – gawd, at least they’re fantastic cooks).

Nofear,
    I don’t have any white quilt. I don’t know if you were referring to me. I hate everyone equally and have no designs whatsoever to see society improve. Improvement leads to sterility and cookie cutter homes with wives who have subtle drinking problems and kids who are all the same. Johnny’s on the soccer team. He’s doing well. I want my Johnny working on some Alaskan fishing boat at 12 years old, smoking ten packs of cigarettes a day and running from the law. Then miraculously he’s cleared of all his charges, finds a buxom blonde who can’t smell and settles into a good life, marginally flirting with the wild until his death from simultaneous drowning and venereal disease. Advancements in society only lead to more shackles being put on those who don’t know any better. The Matrix? If you live in a suburb, you’re done. Get out into the wild and kill something. If he’s black or gay, kill him twice for me.

That sounds like just like my teenage years, Spitty. Except I worked on a road crew in Colo, and never contracted anything that was permanent.

Yeah I hate whitey. Good one, Rupert. You on the other hand read Bircher manifestos. Everyone’s a commie wacko pinko imperialist to you.

As far as Republicans go, fuck ’em all. Democrats as well. They are both part of the problem. Sorry you think there’s a difference, NoFear.

This is the inherent fallacy of your stance on politics. All the bullshit flies around while congress votes itself the right to insider-trade, vote themselves raises, free healthcare, bodyguards for life, salaries paid in full in perpetuity, and the like. And you get bent over Obama’s birth certificate. It is to laugh the naivete of it all. This congress has done nothing the past 8 years and beyond, they have a 12% approval rating, but due to the gerrymandering of districts, there’s like 0.5% change in any given election year. Yay! These guys spend 75% of their entire terms seeking money for re-election.

If this government (and the next and the next) continues its kowtowing ways to corproate interests at the exclusion of all else, there WILL be an armed revolt in the next 15-20 years. If not sooner.

Book it, skippy.

• NoFear49er says:

Gotta love it when the delusional invent the truth and try to tell everyone how the world works when they have trouble just getting by in the little world they create for themselves to be king for a day.

Careful there, skippy, you’re redefining tolerance are you?

You keep electing low character folks to office thinking that makes you cool and tolerant and act surprised and disgusted when their low character shows up. Voter apathy keeps them in office. Obama has lied about everything he’s ever said and you defend him and excuse him with the “everybody is just as bad” line and re-elect him because he’s cool and black and in the right party. You’re the problem, skippy, and you don’t even know it.

Well, Bush II was about as low as they get, but who’s counting?

What I love is when dicussing politics with rubes, they immediately go after the person they are talking to.

I think the 2 party system is flawed beyond recognition, both sides are getting fat on the working class tit, and that the republican stance seems to be ‘let my (corporate) people free!’ Who needs the USDA? Fuck the people. Let ’em eat tainted meat. Banking regulations? Fuck that. We don’t need regulations. Wall St. won’t do exactly what they just did 6 years ago. Except they are. Don’t pay attention to that. It’s all good. Corporate profits are skyrocketing. That’s all that matters. The rank and file? Fuck ’em. We only raise taxes on them. Not on us.

To you, I’m the problem. God, get a clue. Naievete incarnate. You and me play NO part in the government anymore. We provide the money to keep the rich happy, and the power brokers in place.

• NoFear49er says:

Every time you try to compile a rant on the Repubs you make it clear you don’t know what you’re talking about. The liberal bumper stickers is all you got. You put everything you think is unfair and unjust in the world in a bag and label it “Republicans.”

Yeah, Bush 43 was terrible. According to whom? Obama? The guy who railed about Bush grabbing more power for the executive branch, or out of control spending, or putting every vote on the internet, or making his administration transparent, or 5% unemployment, or jobless recovery, or $2/gal gas? on and on and on. If you think Bush 43 was bad you must think Obama is a worthless usurper. No? Hmmm, I wonder if you’re buying the liberal line much.

Yeah, people that can’t think for themselves and keep voting in reps to take down the republic and then complain about them are the problem. If the shoe fits, skippy…

We still have the power over our elected reps but it’s slipping fast. Do you think Obama is out of line ruling by fiat? Or the Dims killing the minority’s fillibuster rules? Or do you even kow about such things in rainbow land? Does it only bother when the other guys are in? Yeah, I think you’re the problem.

• Chico says:

I always thought it was silly to give a president credit for the jobs ‘created’ because the economy is cyclical (much like everything in life), but if we want to go that route, more jobs have been created under Obama that both of Bush’s two terms.

• sandy32koufax says:

You worship at the altar of the almighty dollar and red rule, we get it. Screw the rest of the world gimme mine (oh, and yours’ and hers’ and his too)!

• NoFear49er says:

Gummit jobs, Chico? Who do you think pays for that? Here’s some news, the government doesn’t make anything, they just spend. Obama was the one calling out Bush for no jobs created. He ran on giving billions of taxpayer money, that’s taken from you and me, to create high paying green jobs. WTF are they? He took the money and he spent the shit out of it.

The almighty dollar and red rule? WTF? Where you coming from, sandy? Sounds a lot like bumper sticker world there, too. Do you know what it means or do you just spew when someone points at you?

• Chico says:

I see that you missed my entire point. But I’ll entertain that argument. Jobs were created under Bush – problem is the country lost the whole net-gain of jobs (and more) because of the recession/depression. When post people talk about jobs created, 99% of them are referring to private sector jobs.

High paying green jobs are in abundance (if you’re a news junkie like myself, you’d know this).. I have friends who make good money doing ‘green jobs’, myself included.

The stimulus should have been double what it was, and admittedly, a higher percentage should have gone to infrastructure.

Now lets not forget that the government is responsible for the biggest jobs program in this country. That would be the US military.

• NoFear49er says:

Well, I’ve seen plenty of companies fleecing the treasury on the promise of/and short-term jobs that evaporate as soon as the free money dries up and then claim bankruptcy and close with all that money going to some favored principals.

Obama promised his stimulus plan would keep unemployment below 8% as it shot up to 10% despite all the cooking of the books his people could manage. Too bad about all those shovel-ready jobs promised, too. Search on why Obama’s stimulus failed to see dozens of explanations/excuses from both sides for it. None that I’ve seen are touting surplus high paying jobs in any sector let alone so-called green jobs.

Yeah, I guess you can look at the military as a jobs program, if that’s your POV. Probably be better if those guys would train and fight our wars with sticks and rocks for free. But it’s no credit to Obama or his stimulus spending. He’s engaging in a dangerous draw-down of it now. That should fill all those green jobs you mentioned.

I guess he figures with all the militarization of local PDs and every government agency there’s no need for the actual military as he sees the armed citizenry as the enemy. Maybe you’re in the same camp.

• Chico says:

So, there really aren’t any good paying green jobs? Come on, man. The entire construction industry has been booming for many reasons, including regulations (see title 24 for example)..

As I said, the stimulus plan wasn’t big enough, and could have been more focused on infrastructure, something I mentioned above.

Every single president has used executive powers – but in the face of some moron house republicans, all of a sudden, Obama shouldn’t use executive power? Can I ask you why? Why do the rules need to change when he is the president. I’m interested in your answer.

It was Newt Gingrich and Michelle Bachmann who promised two dollar gas, not Obama..

You see, despite what the pundits tell you, those on the left actually understand how a fungible commodity works. What we drill for here goes onto the world market, i.e., we don’t get to keep it. We are now a net-exporter when it comes to oil. An unmentioned Obama promise.

The people who serve in our nation’s military are honorable and noble people (my family and friends included), and no, they shouldn’t fight wars with sticks and rocks for free..

A ‘Dangers draw-down’ of military operations? Yes, lets stay in a perpetual state of war for another god damned two decades while we go broke over it..

The AMerican people are catching on, thankfully. End the fucking wars and work on income inequality (something both sides support in polls). . .

Going to war (and not accounting for the long term costs of war) as well as cutting taxes for the very affluent is the equivalent of quitting your job and going on a spending spree. I’m sorry, but when it comes to economics, republicans have very little to stand on.

• Chico says:

Nothing personal, we gotta just agree to disagree..

• NoFear49er says:

Hey, it was the democrats who spent every waking moment of their careers during the Bush administration to block, destroy or reverse everything he wanted or tried to do, except the GWOT. And now you cry about partisanship and blame the war on him and the repubs dragging us into it. Funny how that works.

I’m not talking about promised gas prices, I’m talking about when gas hit a new high of $2/gal you folks were screaming the Bush and Cheney were getting rich off it and making their cronies rich as well. And now happily pay $4/G without a word of blame for the POTUS. Funny, no?

Obama’s done everything he can to stop the oil production in this country. That we are doing anything with it is purely despite Obama’s best efforts to thwart it.

Obama uses executive orders to rule not for housekeeping. He doesn’t have the power under the Constitution to do it. He pretended to be shocked and disgusted by Bush using them and promised that he wouldn’t run gov’t that way and he would put everything up for a vote and put it online before a vote so that everyone would see what was being voted on. Just before he forced every stinkin’ democrat to push through his health care take-over without even reading what they were making law. Nobody wants to hold him to his campaign promises? The same folks that thought Valerie Plame was the crime of the century?

The idea of a strong military is to PREVENT going to war. Your lack of understanding there is astonishing.

When it comes to wealth re-distribution as a substitute for an economy I’m against it, yes. Your idea of keynesian economics as a fix for everything, I’m against that, too. Private enterprise creating jobs and people keeping more of what they earn and keeping the government burden low is what I’d shoot for instead.

• Chico says:

Revisionist history is an interesting concept.. Putting words into others mouths is a game I do not wish to engage in. Jobs, gas prices. . These are basic economics, not policy. I believe I answered all of your reply already with my above comments. Again, net exporter of oil (also notice my comment about it being a fungible commodity sold on the world market). A strong military can prevent wars, but again, that’s not what I said, at all. I said END the wars, not eliminate the military. Not everything is as black and white as is seems. Circular arguments are a hoot, though.

• Chico says:

Chuck, excellent post!

And yes, you are right. I have no tolerance for wealthy people who game the system to their favor.

And now for something completely different…
    Try driving that road (state’s full of ’em) at 55! It’s physically impossible. Probably why we gotta be the national leader in bikes per capita.

And now for something kinda similar, it’s good to know the to big to fail crowd has nothing but distain for the millions of pensions they lost, and the damage they wreaked:

Fuck those idiots that let us piss away their pensions and retirement money. Serves ’em right for giving it to us in the 1st place.

• Chico says:

They don’t give a flying fuck about the average Joe.. Now, back to blaming teachers, unions, and poor people for all of our problems.

My bad, ignore it. It’s just a generic site, I thouht it was a specific site/specific picture.

In conclusion…….a loud vociferous BLEEP!

• Yeah agreed. Arguing politics, religion and social issues is not my cup of cocoa. Won’t change anything or anyone. Such is life in the off season… have at it.

37. philippinefan says:

Here’s a prediction or two:

-Kap signs in the next 3 months for 6 years, 16M per + whatever
    -Boldin is back for 2 years

Couple guesses:

-No Crabtree, Iupati or Jimi H signings this year
    -Lattimore has a great year as our primary RB as FG phases out

You got any astute perdictions anyone?

• sandy32koufax says:

Ya, *someone* at LB and *someone* at OL. Bowman and Iupati are probably fucked due to the severity of their injuries.

• Spitblood says:

Predictions? Yeah, I got some predictions.

First Mike Sam is drafted by the Patriots. Upon arrival to Patriots’ camp, Sam says in his best black sheriff from Blazing Saddles voice, “Where’s all the white boys at?” He gets a boner in the shower when he sees Tom Brady’s silky smooth backside. He blitzes Brady and sacks him repeatedly in the shower only to get thrown off the team and banned from the NFL. He’s then drafted by the Argonauts in Canada. Jason and the Argonauts protest. Canada isn’t ready for an openly gay Argonaut getting his jollies off sacking attractive white quarterbacks. Who can blame them? Life’s more simple in Canada. They ice fish. Sam is now thinking of UFC fighting – if he can only get them to the ground.

In Santa Clara, Jim Harbaugh does his best Mike SIngletary impersonation and ousts the GM right before the draft. Baalke is immediately picked up by Seattle who make them their director of pro scouting. Jim drafts a full back in the first round and dedicates his selection to the late Bo Schembechler. In the second round Jim takes a 330 pound NT he hopes to convert to slot receiver. Jim also re-signs Frank Gore to the richest contract in NFL history for a record ten years. Then proceeds to cut all the wide receivers.

Jed York brings in Eddie D to help run things with the new stadium giving Jed major anxiety. Jed and Eddie also borrow the Google luxury cruiser and park it just far enough off shore to host legal gambling. Eddie takes up a new hobby – handicapping bets for rich Silicon Valley executives. He sets all 49er home game lines at -3 points, and because Harbaugh has already cut all of his wide receivers in order to go all jumbo, all the time, Eddie’s 3 points are always spot on. He rakes in the dough.

Roger Goodell, in an attempt to re-up his zero tolerance for crime policy, publically lambastes Ray Rice, Amhad Brook, Aldon Smith, Richie Incognito and the Seattle secondary for their past transgressions, only to be spotted partying with them in Vegas at one of Tiger Woods’ old haunts. At 4am in the morning Roger borrows Tiger’s 3 iron and smashes a car window saying in an inebriated statement after, “I’M RICH, BITCH.”

Hey Clubber Lane, what are your predictions?

• sandy32koufax says:

Spitblood? You are one funny sumbitch.

Demented, but funny.

You should get into short-story writing for the NFL Spit.
        Good fun.

• Spitblood says:

NJ, Thanks, and thanks to the rest of you for enjoying the demented humor. I was recently contacted about writing for a website back East. They wanted me to focus on the NFC West. I was tempted. I love the NFC West right now. Sticking point was they wanted me to Skype with them once a week. I also don’t like having to clean up my act. Maybe it was a mistake to say no. But for now, I’ll stick to tormenting my fellow Niners Forever friends, forever. When Del’s got his head right, he’s one funny SOB as well.

• Good stuff Spit; glad I axed. Back a long time ago when I was a newbie here it was Chuck, Twin, Del Mar and you fer awhile. I really wanted NJ, NF, Grumpy Guy and you to be ‘regulars’ here and damn if we’re almost there. Now yer eying some deal on the East Coast? No! lol

I would add to those, Whitner gets signed, Rogers is cut, Aldon has the 5th year of his rookie contract picked up and Gore gets extended 2 bogus years, and Goodman also gets cut.

Goodwin? I got Whitner, Boldin, Richard Dawson, and Kappy all signing deals.

Ist round draft pick Odell Beckham leads the league in punt returns and rookie catches. Crabs makes it through his second training camp in his 12 year career, and dislocates his shoulder patting himself on the ass. Stanley Jean Baptiste gets 5 picks and ROY. Stuka (I know, just go with it) picks up where NaVorro Bowman leaves off and takes the early lead in sacks. And the Niners win Super Bowl 49…

Remember the outrage from the fans attending the SB a few weeks ago?
    $51/ head, to get into and out of The Meadowlands, as stipulated by the King of NJ, Gov Christie.

Well, another of his appointees stepped down today, for failing to do the job, with any degree of competence.

But hey, he’s just another Christie appointed shill, knocking down nearly $300K/Yr for ineptitude.

See a pattern developing here?
    Christie appointees and Mass Transit – Perfect together.

And, the Sandy Relief money remains largely unaccounted for, while people in need are still displaced, going on 18mos now.
    They have traced roughly $10M of it though.
    Given to private developers, in areas barely touched or impacted by Sandy.
    Christie supporters no doubt.

And you might wonder why I can’t stand Politics?

Total embarrassment.

I will make one serious prediction for next year, with a condition. I think the 49ers will beat the Seahawks in Seattle next year if they don’t use Frank Gore. I don’t know the schedule, but if the 49ers play Seattle in Seattle early, they’ll use Frank and lose. But later in the year, if Frank’s been exposed and the 49ers make a switch, the Niners will win in Seattle.

Here’s the formula, once again, for a great backfield. Dump Frank Gore, trade LaMicheal James, don’t re-sign Dixon, draft two running backs in the second and fourth rounds, and draft a FB in the 7th to compete with Miller You do that, and fire new running backs Freeman and Hill at the Seattle D, along with Kaep’s play action, and Seattle’s toast.

Kaep isn’t as phased by Seattle now. They’ve figure it out. It all hinges on Harbaugh moving away from Gore.

I’m thinking Lattimore will see his share of action Spit.
      Agree about Kaep feeling more comfortable up there too.

It’s still a challenge for the OLine related to the noise and getting off on the snap.
      That NFCC game was ours to take. Too many mistakes late.
      Injuries didn’t help either.

We’re stacked up well with them.

Looking forward to contributions from Tank and Dial too.

Take away the one big scramble play Wilson made over Whitner and Reid and that’s a totally different game.
      Shot ourselves in the head in several big spots.

Have to keep Wilson bottled up.
      Can’t allow him that kind of time to extend plays.

Blaming Frank Gore is pure BLEEP! Sure the guy is getting old but lets have a little respect for the guy! Damn…….. the pounding he’s taken over the years and remember all the lousy teams he had to endure before the last two years of success. Now really! Is there no shame?

• Spitblood says:

Frank Gore is done. That doesn’t mean we don’t respect him. I have a great deal of respect for him. But my respect for the man doesn’t mean I’d give him another year. Willie Mays hung on too long. Like I’ve written many times before, Walsh jettisoned the veterans before they started to decline. Because the 49ers have just now climbed back into competition after several years of garbage football, 49er fans have forgotten what it takes to stay on top. You don’t stay on top getting emotionally attached to old players. Frank Gore is done. We all love him, but he’s done. I’d cut him or trade him tomorrow.

Rogers did the same thing a few times as well in GB. Some guys are just hard to contain. Of course Rogers was helped by an amazingly obvious hold on McDonald.

Again, Spitty, running Gore out of the 22 package does nothing. That was the Niner run game for most of the year. Lattimore, Hunter, or LMJ won’t be able to run out of that formation. If they’d put in 3 WRs and back the safety up, the run game has a better chance.

Yeah, here we are again. Poised on the edge of greatness. Sucks to have to wait so long for next season.

NJ, that is the fallacy of playing conservative to win. You fight and claw for long drives, and when you end up playing it safe and not getting into the end zone, all your hard work goes out the window on a busted play. Or a big punt return. Or a fucking offsides play where everyone falls asleep.

• philippinefan says:

God I hope the Niners actually open it up on O as per the above and many other suggestions made here

• Spitblood says:

Unca – running Frank Gore anywhere does nothing. He has nothing left except for knowledge that sometimes coaches can’t abandon in favor of a new guy they need to coach up. Hopefully 49er fans start calling more and more for Baalke and Harbaugh to part ways with older players like Gore and Justin Smith. Hopefully Baalke and Harbaugh listen. Bill Walsh was 100% right. No exceptions.

I agree Kendal needs different run plays. Nothing wrong with that. Lattimore, as you know, is a huge question mark to me. James has very little value to me. That leaves Kendal and Kendal…. and Kendal. We need more running back help. That might be the biggest pressing need coming into the draft. It might even be a bigger need for us than wide receiver. But I’d never, never, never draft a running back in the first round. Second round? Yes. I’d draft two running backs and a full back in this year’s draft.

A great running game opens things up for the passing attack. Seattle won the Super Bowl on Marshawn Lynch’s back. It wasn’t Russell’s arm. 49er fans are sometimes somewhat blind. 49er fans claim the Seattle defense was amazing against the run. Well they weren’t the week before against the Saints. The Saints ran on Seattle at will. The reality is that the Seattle run defense wasn’t that great. Frank Gore was just that bad. And his plays were limited (not by Roman but by Gore’s ability) so Seattle didn’t have to game plan much to stop him. It wasn’t because Seattle’s run D was so good. The 49ers lost that game because Frank Gore was so bad. Then Kaep had to put the game on his shoulders and spin straw into gold….. which proved too much for him. But if Kaep had Lynch, we’d have two rings right now. We need to go out and find the next Marshawn Lynch. I think it’s Devanta Freeman from Florida State.

The main difference between Seattle’s run game and ours is, at least when we play each other, is Seattle routinely crowds the line with their safeties to stop Gore. We don’t do that to stop Lynch. We don’t give up the big play (well, we did in the NFCCG), but we keep everything underneath. In the playoff game, the line wore down due to the constant pounding of Lynch. They face 7 on 7 when they run, we routinely go 7 on 8, or 8 on 9. Since we don’t have any checkdowns, lots of run plays simply get blown up.

You bringing up NO only reinforces my point. What type of offense does NO run? Lots of shotgun. Lots of 3-4 WR sets. THAT opens up the running lanes. Even though Seattle keeps their CBs in man coverage, they can cheat their safeties up close to crowd the line aganist SF. With Brees and a bunch of WRs, Sea had to back up/move laterally their safeties to account for the 3 wide. This opens up the lanes. Gore was never fast. His game is to blast through a tiny crack in the line and mow down DBs. He can still do that relatively well.

I don;t want him getting 25 carries a game. I’d like to see him around 12-15 as we ease Lattimore into the offense. Again, though, they need to stop the idea of running out of the jumbo package to have any success.

• NoFear49er says:

If that’s all it takes to run why do you think every team doesn’t just run the spread offense as a base?

It may seem that simple to you but they only get eleven on defense and they have to defend both halves. Many run plays take more of the eleven guys on offense to do their jobs to work. One failure to win an individual battle can cause the play to die.

The plays you see from us have been practiced against the best defense in the league. A. Davis gets his footwork wrong = stuff. Goodwin can’t get off his initial block in time = stuff. But it’s easy to sit on the couch and say, “I would have spread ’em out there. Yeah, that’d work. I’m a freakin’ football genius. More beer.”

Much easier than actually seeing what went wrong and understanding why.

Chuck,
      The Saints pass to set-up the run. They’re a pass first team with their best players on offense in the passing game. It makes sense that the Saints would beat the Seahawks with the run, throwing them a curve ball. But that’s only to a point. As some point a defense steps up and says, “Drew Brees is awful right now and they’re going to the run all day…. let’s stop that.” But Seattle couldn’t because the Saints’ running back was awesome. He’s the one who Bill Parcels told Sean Payton to use more because of his talent. Robinson, I think. Can’t remember his name. Point is that you’re right about the Saints setting up the run with the pass, and having less in the box… but only to a point. At some point Seattle needed to adjust but couldn’t.

In that game, the Saints inverted their offense. They ran to set-up the pass, and late in the game it started working. The Seahawks took Jimmy Graham completely out of the game. Drew Brees was awful for 3 quarters. The Saint ran and moved the ball extremely well, setting up Brees to have some breathing room in the 4th quarter.

With the 49ers, they obviously run to setup the pass. Frank Gore, for whatever reason, didn’t get it done in the NFC Championship game. Then the passing attack failed because there was no play action to speak of. Nobody was worried about Frank.

I was writing long before the NFC Championship game that to beat the Seahawks in Seattle the 49ers would need to use more Kendal Hunter, pass to set-up the run, and simplify the offense, going with more silent counts. Instead the 49ers ran Frank into a brick wall and they lost. Some blame Kaep for falling short, and to a certain extent I agree. But I see Kaep trying to take over a game because nothing else was working. I don’t blame him for that. You give Kaep a couple of healthy running backs in their prime and we win that game and win the Super Bowl. And we probably also beat the Ravens.

Three years ago, in Harbaugh’s first year, I was reading that scouts were saying the 49ers needed to use Kendal Hunter a lot more because he had noticeably more juice in his legs than Gore. That was three years ago. I think the 49ers kept Gore for as long as they did, much past his prime now, because Kaep needed a second set of eyes in the backfield and Hunter got hurt. They extended Frank’s career to help Kaep, but in the end it actually hurt Kaep.

I love Frank, but he’s done. You give Kaep two or three stud running backs who hit holes hard and Kaep’s passing numbers improve dramatically. Vance McDonald and Quinton Patton become stars, seeing more linebacker and one on one coverage.

The 49ers run game philosophy isn’t hard to figure out. They coach their running backs to hit the hole and to hit it hard…. like a cheap Vegas hooker. Frank Gore used to hit the hooker hard. Now he just talks dirty. Frank is the reason we didn’t win the Super Bowl this year.

Gee, NoFear, about 4/5ths of the teams in the league run out of 3-4 WR sets. Curious, no? Maybe to you. It’s a passing leauge if you haven’t noticed. A lot of those teams are successful running like that. This isn’t voodoo majic. It’s football. Shit isn’t that hard to figure out.

The point, which I’ve explained to you many times, is that when you run the 22 package, esp with the TEs up tight on the line, you invite more defensive players into the tackle box. Mainly because when WE (the 49ers) go to this formation, it screams (telegraphs/phones in/lets the whole world know) we are running the ball. Wouldn’t this, by simple deduction, make this easy to stop?

Singletary’s mantra was, ‘we didn’t execute.’ How CAN you execute when it’s 8 against 9? Running up the gut 25 times for one big run isn’t my idea of success.

Besides. if Davis or Goodwin or whoever can’t consistently block correctly, then they shouldn’t be put in the position of having to make the key block. Put someoneelse in there that can. Yeah, every play is subject to breakdowns. but, again, for these times when the line is outnumbered, it is VERY RARE to hit every block perfectly to spring Gore for a big gain. Why not clear out a LITTLE space by at least moving the safeties wide to cover a WR rather than let him cheat into the box?

• NoFear49er says:

The defense will not allow the offense to outnumber them in the box. Same for everybody. But they have to cover both sides because they don’t know which way you’re going. You pull a guard, and/or a tackle, bingo, numbers go to you and your argument is gone.

When you face an aggressive d-line you don’t just open holes wider for them to penetrate. You can, if you have quick hitters or screens or draws to slow or counter the rush but we don’t seem to have that stuff down very well, do we? Not sure where to point fingers on that deficiency but I’m sure we’re working on it. Not too hard to figure out. “This isn’t voodoo majic.”

Seattle plays three deep or one deep. Obviously they’ll favor the single deep on most plays agaisnt us for better run support unless it’s a likely pass situation.

We run most inside the tackles but spread it out better than you’d have us believe to over tackles and outside the tackles. We’re also the most successful running inside the tackles.

How well did we run against Seattle? Or Indy? Or Carolina? Not well. Esp when you take away the scrambles. Stop our run game, and you have Carolina sacking the shit out of Kaepernick. Or mistakes up the wazoo from the constant harassment. And that’s the deal. We pushed around lousy defenses. Not so much the good defenses.

The braintrust needs to do something about wasting so many 1st down plays. 23rd in 3rd down conversion rate is shit. Why? Because we have way too many 2nd and 8-12s. And too many 3rd and 6-12s. Being constantly in the hole leads to sacks and mistakes.

The Niners were 26th in the league with nearly 25% of their drives ending in 3-and-outs. That ain’t good.

Working on screens? We haven’t had a successful screen game since Garcia and Hearst roamed the mud.

47. More perdictions:

-Spit will average 16 novellas per month

-Chuck and NoFear will attempt to solve sociological / political dilemmas AND the O woes but will fight to an inconclusive draw despite heroic efforts.

-Nip will consistently BLEEP at appropriate moments

-The Sandy funds will remain MIA fer a loooong time more

-Goodie Goodall will mandate pink tutus for all players thus destroying whats left of the contest of mighty men on the gridiron

Chuck,
    I agree with you on all points above. Some here say we are trying to play GM but I think we are trying to figure out how to improve the team. You can do that by assessing what’s wrong and also by suggesting a direction to take. But sometimes, even with all of us obsessing about the team, we all look at things the wrong way. We build off each other And sometimes an assumption is wrong, and we build off that assumption. We’ve all vilified Greg Roman as being bad but the reality I’m starting to see is that Greg and Jim put themselves in a position to lean too heavily on Gore and that’s what created all of the above poor offensive stats you listed above. I really do think the reason we weren’t good on offense was because the 49ers put themselves in a position (by drafting Lattimore who couldn’t contribute last year) to lean too heavily on a old running back, past his prime. The loss of Crabtree didn’t help. And losing Ginn who took the top of the defense didn’t help either. But Gore was a shadow of his former self and he was really limited. Gore’s limitation prevented the offense from opening up.

Kaep’s radar lock happens to young qbs. They start to see the field better the more they play. The game slows down. Eventually he’ll sit in the pocket, delivering strikes after going through his reads. But nothing is more favorable to a qb than a great run game, and a great run game starts with a great running back, or two – which we don’t have.

The one area of concern I would have going forward is the complexity of the offense with young running backs. It’s nice that Lattimore got a year to study while rehabbing, but Lattimore is a huge question mark to me. And a huge gamble. If we bring in other rookie running backs to hedge our Lattimore bet, my concern is that the offense will be too complex for them to be every down backs. I wouldn’t give Frank Gore 12-15 touches per game next year. He can only do two things now and those two things will be immediately taken away from him by the defenses when he’s on the field. Defenses won’t have to plan much for Gore.

All in all, the offense is complex because that’s necessary for Super Bowl runs, but next year the offense will need to be scaled back, more simplified for rookies to contribute faster. If rookies don’t contribute on offense, we won’t have another shot at a Super Bowl in 2014.

49. Man. I am sky-high on Vicodin right now. Them damn mallards made me walk extra today and I even had to get off the beaten path, get my feet dirty, slip, slide and waddle myself just to feed those suckers. My foot’s broken and I’m in a goddamn walking boot. Goddamn Anas platyrhynchos. They’ll miss me when I’m gone.

Hench the Vicodin. I lost count. Let’s just say Brett Favre and I share the same pharmacist. It’s a good thing I’m not drinking as well. Come to think of it, I haven’t had a drink since the Super Bowl. What the hell’s wrong with me? Don’t answer that.

• Spitblood says:

Nice work, Dennis. Two weeks is a long time. Keep up the good work. Sobriety is the ability to deal with emotions without the need to medicate. I’m 23 months, myself. I’m still here talking with you retards but life is absolutely getting better for me. You will, however, get grumpy. Learn to embrace it. It’s fun. Kick a duck, then apologize. He had it comin’. Then laugh as all the emotions swarm over you: guilt, rage, remorse, compassion for the duck, indifference. It’s your own little party in your head. And that party in your head is what getting sober is all about. But if you’re just not drinkin’ because of your foot….. never mind. Nice work anyway.

Chuck I think the tenor of our discussions regarding the ’22’ is missing a vital point.
    We attempt to show a consistent look while varying the plays with options.

Given the fact that Delanie departed and, VMcD was a Rook, we didn’t have many variations to offer, with Celek being the other option at TE.
    Everyone keys on Vernon, effectively taking him away quite often.
    Missing Crabtree further complicated the progress Kaep could have made this year too.

This Roman debate is healthy, for the most part.
    I happen to see him as a pretty good strategist.
    What it boils down to, for me, is that there aren’t many variables available to him, simply due to personnel.
    Yes, Gore is the bell cow, we are who we are there. He’s on the short side of his career of course.

Lattimore is a thick RB, capable of being the hammer, with the one major concern being the knee repair.
    I’d join Spit’s opinion about adding options in the backfield but, it still becomes a concern about Blitz pickup for me too.
    Kendall isn’t a big guy, he’s OK in the Blitz assignments but, not spectacular.
    Dixon probably isn’t reliable enough either, or he’d have seen more action.

Boobie is the guy I’d question more, since he’s the bigger guy yet, he’s been MIA the most.
    Drafting another FB isn’t the worst idea either. Bruce is an excellent lead man, he’s not a RB.
    Neither is Boobie for that matter.
    Conclusion? Buh bye Boobie.

We do need to get more in line with the League norm, RBs by committee.
    LMJ isn’t earning time back there either. Major head scratcher.

I’d agree with Spit that 2 RBs could be sought in May.
    I’d disagree that they need to be Drafted high simply because other positions are more important right now.

With a field stretcher at WR I could see Kendall becoming a MAJOR threat underneath.
    Perhaps LMJ could earn his keep in that capacity too? Just not sure where his head is right now relative to going the Twitter route, asking for a Trade.

Quite frankly,a FB might be better the focus, since they typically come cheap.
    Jewell is still kicking around the development ranks too.
    He’s built very much like Frank. Might be that he’s the future? We’ll see.

Draft Picks equal depth.
    Get the immediate needs high, add the rest later.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t think there’s a more important need than running back on this team. I think that’s our team’s top priority going into the draft, but I wouldn’t use a first round pick on a running back.

I think we re-sign Boldin, Brown and Dawson. I think Whitner is gone. So we’d need to pickup a safety with our first, second round pick – and get him ready to start. But we’re solid with corners with Brock, Brown, Culliver, Wright and Morris. We’re great at linebacker, and with the additions of Tank and Dial, we’re good along the D line.

Our offensive line will see Kilgore replace Goodwin. We have a qb. We have tight ends. We have Crabtree, Patton, Baldwin (who could be good if Harbaugh pulled his head out), and Boldin, if re-signed.

Then it just comes down to our backfield. We need a ton of help here. Our backfield is where we’re the weakest. Period. Give Kaep and Roman a backfield and they’ll start opening up the offense and you won’t criticize either of them as much.

~ When you run to set-up the pass, but your running back is 60, you aren’t going to have much success throwing the football ~

RB has to get transitioned away from Frank Spit, I’d agree with you.
        Whitner may be valuable just to groom his replacement, as would be the case for Boldin to mentor our next option at the WR position too.

I’m on the fence with TBrown too.
        TBrock may have taken the role as he got the extension already.
        Culliver is in the same boat with Lattimore.
        Major knee injuries are always a wait and see situation, as it was with Mario.

Draft a pair or WRs and DBs in May.
        Fill for depth after that.

Of those of WR/DB options, it would be nice to have one of them contribute in the PR/KR capacity too.
        Brandon Cooks and Odell Beckham have some potential there.

We’re in the ‘tinker’ mode now.
        Create some competition are several positions and see who offers the bigger upside.

I’d seek a burner at WR, maybe that guy offers the PR/KR option too.
        Another WR to have ready for the replacement of Boldin or the possible loss of Crabtree.
        Devante Adams, Jarvis Landry or Donte Moncrief could fill the Boldin/Crabtree variable.

Cooks is a burner. I like him, along with Odell Beckham.
        Great depth from this Class of WRs.

I’d look for a slot CB and a SS too.
        Too many to speculate on for me right now.
        It’ll become clearer after the Combines conclude.

I’d still like to experiment with Dri Archer, if he could be stolen on the cheap.
        He’s quite small but, he’s a potential weapon in multiple areas.
        Which is what I’d had hoped LMJ could offer.

I want to see more of WR Robert Herron from Wyoming over the weekend in Indy too.
        Smaller dude that looked good at the Senior Bowl.

He seems like a burner, his 40 will get cleared up, as will all the other participants.
        Not sure if he’s a candidate for the PR/KR area though.

Numbers are never accurate until the Combines define them.

I want this dude in the late second, early third.

And I want this dude in the 4th round.

I like Hill from LSU too Spit.
    Think it’s the end of the line for Boobie.
    Need a thumper behind Frank/Kendall.

Twinkle Toes Dixon isn’t the answer.
    Freeman looks interesting.
    I’d reserve the Top 2 Rds for other positions but, I’m not the guy sending in the Picks.

Check the kid from Coastal Carolina.
    FB Lorenzo Taliaferro, 6’2″ 230 is what’s available on him now.

He’s a late RD guy, if not a UDFA option perhaps.
    Only played 2 yrs, be it in a small school football program, after JUCO transfer.
    Racked up almost 2100 yds on 356 carries though.
    Might suggest he can take the pounding?

If all we’re getting from Boobie is a ST player, save some money and, try another option that might give us some short yardage options.

And I want this guy in the 7th to replace Bruce Miller. Then walla…. new offense and a passing game. Frank Gore and Bruce Miller are done. NEXT!!!

Give me Devanta Freeman, Jeremy Hill and JC Copeland and dump Dixon, Miller, James, Hampton and Gore. If Lattimore makes it, great. Don’t count on the current bums in our backfield to pick up his slack if Lattimore can’t go. Create a backfield and passing attack that’s not sorry like ours is and Kaep’s play action will actually work.

• Spitblood says:

I meant create a backfield and rushing attack that’s not sorry like ours is and Kaep’s play action will actually work.

I’m with you.
        Running back by committee these days.
        We ride Frank very heavily, as does Seattle with Lynch.
        But at least Turbin gives Lynch a blow, a kid I wanted Baalke to take BTW.

I’m all in for another thumper.
        Tired of having to use DLmen for short yardage.

I’ve got no problem with Bruce. Great lead man, excellent hands for an ex-DE too.
        Reminds me of Rathman in terms of locating his man and blowing him up.
        He’s just not a RB.

JC is definitely a guy you’d describe as a thumper.
        Geez, 270?
        Ouch.

Good find on JC, moves well for a big boy.
        Gets after it too.
        No happy feet.
        I’m sold.

Here’s my top guy at the RB position –

Good vision, good hands, quick hitter.

• Spitblood says:

When I’m evaluating guys for the backfield I’m all about contact. Do they hit and can they take a hit. Can they finish? So many top rated running backs with moves don’t make it in the NFL because they can’t take the beating. And really…. if you think about it, you run to pound on the defense. We already have a quick hitter like this kid in Kendal Hunter. You put Freeman and Copeland in the backfield and linebackers are going to need to pack a lunch. And when linebackers are worried, Kaep’s play action gets better and better.

I agree Spit, always look whether they stop their feet, (which Boobie does constantly), and what happens after the first hit.

Lattimore is that kind of runner.
        His injury took him out of the 1st RD, for good reason but, if he’s healthy, he’s a steal where Baalke grabbed him.

I like this kid too – He bounces outside a little too much but, he’s a quick decision maker.

• Spitblood says:

You like the little guys, man. I don’t. Not too many little guy running backs in the NFL (who don’t beat their women). Speaking of that…. Didn’t Ray Ray just hold a press conference? I’ll try to find the clip….

Frank isn’t a big guy.
        I look for the guys that get in between the Tackles mostly.
        Quick hitters that can take a hit.

I’m down for a bigger RB.
        Wanted Le’Veon Bell and Turbin the past couple of years.
        We need a guy with Franks’ patience and add some long speed.

Ray Rice just held a press conference to tell his side of the story…..

Turns out JC Copeland is a converted Dlineman as well. Seeing his posted weight as high as 285.
    He moves very well carrying it too. Geez.
    Once an athlete…

A wrecking ball in the backfield for the Tigers who takes pride in pancaking defensive linemen … Enters his second full season as the starter at fullback for the Tigers as a senior in 2013 … Played in 31 games in career with 16 starts … Is a converted defensive lineman who has made the adjustment from defense to offense look relatively easy … Has shown the ability to be effective with the ball in his hands as he’s accounted for four rushing touchdowns and three receptions out of the backfield.

• Spitblood says:

I was watching Jeremy Hill highlights and saw him running out of I formation with a pretty athletic looking FB. Read up on him and watched his highlights and I was shocked to see a former D linemen (guess Miles is copying Harbaugh now?) run the ball the way he did, and it looks like he’s got some pass catching ability. What I really like about him is he’s got some short yardage ability as well. That kid can do everything an old school FB can do. We need a short yardage back. I’d grab Copeland in the 5th or 6th. You might get him in the 7th, but my bet is that NFL teams now want legit FBs who can do it all. Bruce Miller is limited. Like Grump says, the pendulum has swung back regarding the use and value of a FB. My bet is Copeland goes higher than most are anticipating. He can start immediately.

I also like dudes outta the backfield from the SEC or major colleges because they get pounded on every week – sometimes by smaller schools bringing their best. Freeman, Hill and Copeland won’t have a big transition to the NFL because of this. I love Kendal Hunter, but you have to tip your cap to Scot McCloughan. His philosophy of bigger players who will be available in the post season is spot on. Kendal already missed one Super Bowl.

I’m with you, especially the SEC.
        It’s a top notch Conference in terms of talent and coaching.

JC is a load, I’m sold.
        Few teams employ the FB as we do so, he’s likely an easy guy to find late.

I hadn’t paid an ounce of attention to the FB position until you brought it up awhile back.
        Been concentrating on the DBs and WRs mostly, along with my never ending search, for the Fat Man in the Middle.

For me, this game comes down to the athletes that love to play.
        Give me a guy like Bruce, who converts his position and just loves to play the game.

I’ll take late RD steals over higher RD me-first prima donnas everyday of the week.

Gimme the lunch pail brawlers that get meaner and hungrier as the game goes on.

Speaking of LSU – I have Anthony Johnson on my DT list –

I’d take him in RD2 for sure before a RB.
      He’s a younger faster Glenn Dorsey, also a former LSU Tiger.

With the depth at DT, might even find him later?
        That’s the trick with the Draft.
        Grading and Slotting them.

I wake up and read this stuff and thank God none of you are personnel guys or the GM. BLEEP!

We need a fullback and 2 running backs! Really? Funny how we went from somewhat consensus passing attack needs work to going full on 1970’s ram it down their throat run game with play action off that.

Miller is plenty good at FB and has good hands to boot. The only problem I have with Miller is from a play call standpoint that the RB almost always follows him so the D just has to crowd Miller to make the tackle on the RB. I figure that was because without the excellent blocking of Miller, Frank wasn’t likely to get through the line.

RB position has Hampton on PS who they have kept around for a 3rd season, I have to believe they didn’t invest in him like that without good reason. Hunter is a good RB with very few opportunities to get into the game as a carry here or there does not generally bear much fruit.
      Lattimore is a wait and see but if he does bounce back he is starting quality. LMJ just does not seem to fit what this O wants to do, a great pity really but I would guess he is gone. Dixon has surprised me each year with his ability to do enough to stay on roster. I don’t see much from him as a RB but he plays a lot of ST and when Miller got hurt he saw more of the field including his TD on short yardage by jumping over the top of the D. I again have him as gone this year.

I don’t see the Niners taking 2 RB to use as RB and a FB. They have Gore and Hunter, both quality backs, Lattimore if he pans out and Hampton who is described as a bowling ball on legs. How do we fit 2 more RB and a FB on roster? The only one in danger of being cut is Hampton. Hunter, Gore and Lattimore are safe as long as they figure out the money with Gore.

Current RB on roster are Gore, Hunter, LMJ. FB are Miller and Dixon. Hampton is PS and Lattimore is IR. Niners carry 3 active RB so when they supposedly draft 2 more who is gone?

I expect the 3 on roster to be Gore, Hunter and Lattimore replacing LMJ. They would need to draft someone better than those 3 as a rookie to make roster right?

Lattimore and Miller are both coming off injury. Lattimore is a ? because of the severe knee injuries but Miller broke a shoulder blade, I don’t see that as a ? to come back, just healing time so he will be good as new.

One last point, Niners likely take 8/9 players in the draft with CB, SS and WR taking up 4/5 is it likely they use 3 more for the run game? I don’t see it myself.

I can see a RB as insurance for Lattimore and maybe another RB for ST purposes but that’s probably it.

This Junior GM moment is brought to you by 12th Man.

63. Now that we’ve made Eric Mangini our TEs coach, maybe now we’ll finally trade Vernon Davis. This organization makes Mickey Mouse look like Warren Buffett.

Shit, I thought you were joking, Dennis.

And my hope was Mangina would be our new OC.

• Like Clint said to Eli Wallach in “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.” “It’s not a joke, it’s a rope, Tuco. Now I want you to get up there and put your head in that noose.”

I don’t get it. Mangina trying to round out his resume and add some O background for another stab at HC? If Mangina made a difference to the O last season I didn’t see it.
      Was it last season Gore made a crack about the D knowing what was coming or words to that effect?
      Head shaker. If they want to add coaches to the O I would suggest another assistant with passing game acumen not an ex D coach.

The good news from today is the cap is probably hitting 130 mil this year, up 7 mil from last year, just in time to pay some bigger contracts.

Niners have had some good luck this off season. The draft has depth at CB and WR so despite picking late round (unless they move up) there are good players to be had. Contract extensions are on the table for at least 3 premium players and the cap is rising, contrary to earlier news that it would be about the same. Big name college players who red shirted because of injury are healthy now and will be in camp which to me is like having extra draft picks this year, almost a double draft of the first 3 rounds. If Baalke can make some good decisions this draft the Niners are in a great position to add to maybe the best squad in the league.

One big ? is Bowman, can he return to all pro form this year. The odds are against him to do it this year as it usually takes a second season to return fully to form (Crabtree). Does the brain trust believe they have enough back up quality on roster to fill the ILB position already? I doubt it and expect them to take an ILB in the draft as insurance.

BTW, excellent stuff last night, folks.

The run game did get less effective when Miller went down. Thing about Miller is we don’t really use him like a FB. We use him more like an H back. Sometimes. He rarely runs up the middle on short yardage. Your typical FB duty. But whatever. Get Coleman? Dude is really quick for such a big dude. Crazy weird shit. I’d tqake him for boobie in a nanosecond.

The rest? Man I don’t know. In all my guessing I got Kentwan Balmer and Colin Kaepernick right since 2006. Woo hoo!

12th, I really liked what I saw from Stuka in his limited action last year. Wilhoite was pretty solid as well. Yeah, we could use a little more depth, but who else couldn’t either? As we’ve all intimated, I’m really curious to see how Tank and Dial (and Lattimore for that matter) do in the upcoming training camp. And what about Darius Fleming? He’s still on the IR IIRC. Hard luck city. He’s got potential up the wazoo. Late bloomer perhaps.

Despite 12th defending our backfield, it sucks. People don’t see it yet. Most of out backfield needs to be turned over, keeping only Kendal Hunter and Lattimore. After that, the rest are scrubs.

And someone mentioned “a collective opinion on this blog,” – It’s wrong. Collective opinions are often incorrect and should be challenged.

Unca – I think the 49ers would use Coleman more like a conventional FB – with short yardage runs, dump offs and him smashing into linbackers. And LSU did have some H back plays in there for Coleman and LSU backfield. Bruce Miller simply isn’t very good. 12th, again, is emotionally attached to guys, but from an evaluation standpoint, 12th and Nipper think Gore’s still good. They’re wrong.

The 49ers need a passing attack, yes. But that’s NOT their top priority. To go out and draft a WR and then say, “Okay, we’ve got more receivers, now let’s pass the football better,” would be futile at best. The problem with our pass isn’t the players or the coaches, it’s a systemic problem with the run. If you want to pass the football within this scheme you have to have a dominate run game, and our run game sucks because our backfield sucks.

People have been incorrectly blaming Greg Roman. It’s not Greg Roman’s fault that Gore was done two years ago and Harbaalke desperately held on without finding his replacement soon enough. It’s not Roman’s fault that LaMicheal James is too small and can’t hold onto the football. It’s not Roman’s fault Dixon dances in the backfield and has a head full of rocks. It’s not Roman’s fault Bruce Miller isn’t a FB and can’t actually run the football, giving the 49ers one less short yardage option.

AND WHEN YOU’RE SO LIMITED AS A RUNNING ATTACK, AND YOU PASS TO SET-UP THE RUN, YOU’RE PASSING GAME WILL ALSO SUFFER.

~ The 49ers’ most pressing need in the draft is for them to dramatically improve their backfield using either two or three picks ~

I don’t buy it but what else is new?

You gave me an idea for the next thread anyway.