Prattle in Seattle

Pete Carroll seems to be getting a handle on not shooting his mouth off these days. Or his players. His MO has been to do a little too much talking. Before and after games. While Jim Harbaugh tends to talk to the press in non-sequiters (Jive turkey gobble gobble, ropin’ and ridin’).

Still and all this game will be played on the likely rain-soaked turf of Seattle. This game will also bear little similarity to the previous meeting of the Niners and Seattle in week 7 at the Stick. That game saw a lot of Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch. Russell Wilson had one of his worst days as a rookie phenom, and Carroll was still working on how to use Wilson in the framework of their offense. Wilson went 9 for 23 for 122 yards and a pick. Since that game, though, the Hawks have gone more read option, and have thrown more than earlier in the season. Passing to set up the run. Wilson has gone 13-2 TDs to INTs since that Niner game. And obviously they’ve been scoring at a very high rate. Of course, scoring on Buffalo isn’t all that, and AZ has been on a steady decline since they beat the Dolphins on Sept 30.

The 49ers? Well, beyond the fact that they’ve changed QBs, and they too run the read option now (out of the bug-eye formation), and are a little more aggressive in their passing game, their philosophy hasn’t changed all that much. They still try to pound the ball up the middle with Gore, and hit the edges with LMJ. They use play-action to try downfield shots. Very much like Seattle. Even with Seattle’s recent onslaught of points, the Niners have still outspcred them 357 to 350, but it’s basically a wash.

Defensively, both these teams are similar. A defensive backfield full of big-hitting safeties and good cover guys. The numbers bear this out. Even with Sunday night’s defensive collapse, the Niners still lead the lead in least defensive points allowed 218 points. Seattle is a close 2nd at 219. Both teams have 35 sacks, but Seattle’s defense is slowed by the loss of Jason Jones, Brandon Browner is serving his suspension for PEDs, and the impending suspension of Richerd Sherman is still TBD today. He may or may not be cleared, and even if suspended, could still have the suspension hit next week instead of this game. They do get safety Winston Guy back. He has served his 4 game suspension for PEDs.

The Niners of course may not be getting the services of Justin Smith. He of the 185 consecutive game starting (and 188 games in a row) streak, and the heart of the defensive line for the 49ers. Earlier reports of Smith playing have been clouded by the fact that Smith hasn’t practiced all week, and his status is less clear than when Harbaugh gave his ‘ropin’ and ridin’ report on Tuesday. Ricky-Jean would take his spot, and he had a decent game once the Niners got out of their zone coverage and stopped letting Brady hit 8-12 yard passes at will. Still and all, I think Justin is a game-time decision and could still play if he improves enough. Missing a few practices isn’t a deal-breaker for him.

So, I see a game plan similar to what they did vs NE. Come out aggressive. Try to get up early, and force turnovers in the bad weather. The big hope for me is that Kappy and Goodwin have figured out the center/QB exchange problems which plagued the Niners, to the tune of 4 botched snaps (but no turnovers), in the New England rain.  They cannot keep making mistakes like that and expecting to win games.

50 Responses to Prattle in Seattle

And in more news, slightly affecting FF points, and the refs admit blowing the Walker call.

The Total QBR scores for Tom Brady and Colin Kaepernick have changed slightly after the NFL made changes to the official play-by-play account from the San Francisco-New England game Sunday night.

The first change involved the interception return for 49ers cornerback Carlos Rogers against Brady with 8:02 left in the first quarter. The return was for 63 yards. It had been listed previously as a 53-yard return. Brady’s QBR score for the week is now 57.0. Fifty is considered roughly average.

The other change involved a pass from Kaepernick with 7:39 remaining in the first quarter. The pass has been changed from one covering minus-5 yards to one covering zero yards. That means Kaepernick has 221 yards passing, not 216. It also means Delanie Walker has 34 yards receiving, and the Patriots’ Aqib Talib gets credit for a 5-yard fumble recovery. That change upped Kaepernick’s QBR score from 87.1 to 87.7.

Separately, the latter play should have been ruled as an incomplete pass, the NFL determined in its weekly officiating review. Walker did not possess the ball long enough to make a football move, as required by rules.

“This actually never went to review,” Dean Blandino of the NFL office said. “The replay official confirmed it upstairs without bringing the referee over and that is a mistake.”

The 49ers were driving deep in Patriots territory at the time.

Ouch. Yeah, I wondered why that play didn’t get reviewed, as turnovers are supposed to be automatically reviewed at the time, but it was waved off by the field judge. It certainly fell under the byzantine ‘catch and footabll move’ parameters that they currently use. Oh well.

So every ESPN station, Mike and Mike, The Herd, et al, are all talking about Seattle. And as usuall Niners are Rodney Dangerfield!! Which has all ways worked out to the Niners advantage IMO. think the SB against Miami. Anyway this should be a game the Niners win hands down. But I was wrongo about the NE game last week. So lets hear what the rest of you Sports analyst have to say.

Oh and I will go with Niners 34 – and the SeaChickens 13

And I went through some of the postings about where, when, how will Alex end up?? well IMO, who cares, really. I mean he is not going to be a Niner which all of you have been clamouring for over the last 6+ years. Your wish has come true, so Alex should not even be a talking point.

He’s still on the team, Kevin, and the Niners could still end up needing him. The Alex talk will never end!

Muuuuwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, I have 27-13 Niners. The defense won’t let Wilson get away with shit.

6. Alleykat says:

Chuck…You need to give the “Cowboy” alittle more credit.His consecutive start streak is at 185 games.3rd to Ronde Barber and London Fletcher.

Huh. Yeah I thought it was 185, then I read 152 somewhere else. i should trust my instinctts.

The Niners still have an open spot on their 53-man roster. I’d volunteer my services, but in my current shape I’d only be up for handing out towels and filling the Gatorade buckets. Those tasks are already being expertly handled by Alex. No need for me.

Yes Chuck, but all the talk was about at the end of the year and what to do with him. And My point was who cares, he will not be on the team. My question is who is going to be Kappy’s back up next year? A draftee? who is behind Alex right now?

A good part of the talk was about his contract terms and what if anything they can get for him. Where he goes matters a little if it is in the division too.

I think Alex tests the market, if he does not get close to the $8 mill, he takes a cut and stays a niner, Better the Devil you know…

I think Sherman is playing since a suspension will usually give the team the week to plan for it. I wish I knew more about Justin’s status though.

Bet on the Niners to cover and the over. Easy money.

Scott Tolzein is the backup. The Niners may go out and get someone like Gradkowski next year, but even that’s not set in stone. The Niners could certainly take a flier on a later choice. They have 14 picks in the draft.

Alex has little choice in the matter. He’ll either get traded or released.

The trade window opens next March 12th, and the guaranteed $8.5 mill kicks in on April 1st. So, whatever’s going to happen will happen in those 20 days. I see that contract getting picked up easily. The Niners won’t pay that money to be a backup, but some other team willpay it for him to start.

• Grumpy Guy says:

My guess is, we sign a journeyman vet to compete with Tolzien for number two – let’s call him Josh Johnson Number Two. Then we draft a later round guy to develop, call him Tolzien Number Two. The ‘new JJ’ probably ends up like the old one, unless Tolzien clearly cannot handle the job. The ‘Tolzien Number Two’ guy becomes our third QB.

If Smith remains on the Niners, it’s because something infinitely terrible (as in career ending) happend to Kappy.

Smith will not stay here and back up. Not in a million years. Smith has been fucked over by the Niners in his 8+ years with the team. This would have to be thought of as the last straw. . .

All signs point to Richard Sherman playing, even though he missed the last 2 practices to go to his meeting with the commish (or whoever) to learn of his fate.

I suppose he could be suspended immediately, but they usually take care of this shit early in the week, not on a Friday, so it may be delayed until next week.

In other words, with a couple DBs hurt, coming off injury, or coming off suspension, we should be testing their deep coverage early and often. One thing I liked about the Eagles years ago was every game they played the Niners (and a lot of other games) they’d open up with a bomb. Like, here it comes, stop it. It worked enough for them to do it just about every game.

NoFear, Justin Smith’s a game-time decision. Which leads me to think he’s playing.

Unless they shut him down completely, I think he starts.

17. Alleykat says:

Cam Johnson promoted to the 53 man roster.That may be a hint of Cowboy’s avaliability.

They had an empty spot to fill, but that certainly fills a need for some added depth.

And, for what it’s worth, they upgraded Smith from doubtful to questionable.

Some good stuff on the blog today.

Chuck – Just heard on ESPN that the Giants do control their playoff destiny, but not their division champ destiny. Giants win out and they’re in.

I don’t see how that’s possible since there are 3 teams in front of them, and Seattle owns the 1st WC spot, but whatever. They’re gonna lose to Balt anyway.

23. Consolidating some scoring perdictions, Niners vs Seahawks: Gentlemen the fortune telling window is now open for our Niners VS Seahawks weekly tilt. Step right this way and lay ‘em down. Whaddaya see in that crystal ball?

RT: 37-26 Niners. This one is in the loudest Dome in the league, grudge match between those two guys. Should be a great test for Kappy, and don’t you go telling me the next day Alex would have done any better. I don’t (expletives deleted again) care. It will be a harder game than the Pats one. But the Niners 37-26.

Phil: 31-24 Niners. Kap is gonna rally these guys to pull out a tough win and the D will be ready. Hopefully JimBO doesn’t go too conservative on O or Vader on D. Enough with the injuries already though I expected more this year. Thankfully we’ve been deep enough…

Irish Kevin: 34 – 13 Niners. …like I said for NE i thought the Niners would lose badly, and for this game it should be an easy win. I was wrong about the NE game so hopefully I am right about this game. Anyway this should be a game the Niners win hands down. But I was wrongo about the NE game last week, ha ha
    Grumpy Guy: 28-17, 49ers. Until Pete the Cheat shows he can beat Harbaugh, you have to say he can’t.

Rob: 31- 27 Niners

unca_chuck: 27-13 Niners. The D doesn’t falter. The defense won’t let Wilson get away with shit. I see a game plan similar to what they did vs NE. Come out aggressive. Try to get up early, and force turnovers in the bad weather. The big hope for me is that Kappy and Goodwin have figured out the center/QB exchange problems which plagued the Niners, to the tune of 4 botched snaps (but no turnovers), in the New England rain. They cannot keep making mistakes like that and expecting to win games.

barleyfreak: 27-20, Seattle. Yeah, I’m the glass half full guy, I guess. SEA is on role — playing much better offensively than the 6 points we gave up to them in October. Wilson will play much better and our D will still show a slight winded hangover from the 2nd half of the NE game.

winder: 27-13 Niners. Fuck Petey and the Seafucks

Who did I miss? Dunno. Looking for some input from Alleykat, NoFear, Twin, Chico, Snarkk, Flavor, Man and Del Mar- dead last as usual

I’m in for 21-17 Niners handing the Squawks their first home loss of the season, couldn’t come at a better time!

In other news Nate kaeding, a kicker who recently tried out for the Niners, was signed by the Dolfish. leaving the Niners with Akers.

Late addition:

NoFear49er: 24-20 Niners. I don’t think our defense collapsed against the Pats. Actually I think they held up remarkably well against Belichick’s plan to wear us out with a second half no-huddle attack. But that makes me question what shape our D will be in this week and especially if they’re without Justin. We destroyed their run defense last meeting and that may be our best option this week, as theirs should be Lynch.
    Fairly low-scoring battle with Akers getting back his mojo and Kaep making the difference. Niners 24-20. Bet on the Niners to cover and the over. Easy money.

BTW, the spread looks like this so far: most are looking for a fairly close 9er win with Irish being the most optimistic with a call for 21 pt. Niner win. Barley has the ‘hawks by 7 but of course we haven’t head from Dennis yet…

For what it’s worth Shaun King of NBC sports says Kap is the best QB under 25 in the NFL right now. Better than RG3, Newton, Luck:

GO NINERS!

Watching Kaep’s four TD throws v Pats; None came out of the diamond formation. Three were on first downs, the fourth on 3rd & 7. Three of them went the distance to the goal line in the air, each of those over 30 yards in the air, the fourth was about 15 yards in the air and 30-some yards of YAC for Crabs. Two of the TD throws came from a four-wide set, 2×2 and 1×3.

Alex Smith ever do anything like that in all his starts? Anyone still questioning the move?

Nip? WHere you been? You seen DJ?

I’ve been in a nearby parking petting dogs. For some reason the doggies like me better than a lot of humans.

12th, I’ve seen a few others who have that opinion.

Really though, Kappy’s still flying under the radar. Even with the NE and Chicago wins on prime time.

I don’t see us winning this game—ANOTHER road game, this is their super bowl, and we might be a little flat coming off the NE win. Plus, I think J-Smith not playing is going to be big (and I don’t think he’s playing).
    Harbaugh is annoying as fuck not ever disclosing player injuries. WTF is wrong with his elbow? That has to be top secret information? Lame….
    Seattle 31 Niners 21

I hope one of our players and gets run out of bounds and clips Petey, just a little. True this game means more to Seattle but I think we go at it like it was our last. I don’t see Harbaugh cutting any slack.

I think some of those Mayans were kidders and had a good sense of humor.

I tend to agree with Flavor about this being a second tough road game. Look at New England. They played two tough opponents back to back, on a short week and they didn’t play their best ball against the 49ers. The schedule is a factor for the 49ers right now. However, (and it’s a big however), Harbaugh rallied the troops last year down the stretch to clinch the second seed long after the Niners cliched the NFC West. This is clearly a different team, but I think Harbaugh and his players rise to the challenge once again this year. The last game against the Seahawks was a low scoring affair, but I see this game having more scoring. I could see Justin Smith sitting out this game or maybe suiting up and playing only a handful of important snaps in the fourth quarter. Even if Smith starts, I think guys like Ian, Will T., and RJF get significant playing time in the middle. If that’s the case, Lynch will go over 100 yards and the Seahawks will score three touchdowns and a field goal. Kaep needs to be able to put some points up to compensate for Smith not playing a full game, or not playing at his normal high level. It’ll be interesting to see how Smith’s injury affects Aldon’s play. Niners win, 31-24.

36. philippinefan says:

Salary cap space at a premium what with Alex scheduled to get $9.75 mil. Gee do you think the Niners wanna pay the backup that much? Might figure in to any decision about him you think?

Jerry’s yards in a season record is about to go, Megatron needs 4 more yards.

38. Alleykat says:

28-16 Niners!!!..Shit their will be no “Letdown” by the Niners.I bet as kids, JH would have taken little Petey’s lunch money everyday,and throwin a Few “Wedgies” as well and tossing him in a dumpster.Seachickens have played Shit teams most of the year,and was given a gift win at home by the “SCAB”infected crew of dog-shit refs.SeaUrchins only dream of being in our class of a great football team.Matter of fact,the only “Dream” Pete Carroll has is “Nightmares of Jim Harbaugh” beating his pathetic Ass everytime they meet,and taking his ice cream money and “Wedgies&Dumpsters!!!!

Actually, Spit, you don;t agree with Flav. Seattle’s defense should be ripe for the deep game.

New trhread is up.