Mr. Smith Goes to Washington? No. AZ? SD? NYJ? Cleve?

This is what that last thread was supposed to be. The train in my mind went off the rails and went in a diffrent direction.

Anyhow, my first thought regarding Alex Smith and his future with the 49ers was Alex, who got one measly hit from Miami before this season started, would get his mill and his unconditional release on 3/31.

But . . .

The FA QB situation is dogshit. It starts at Joe Flacco and goes down in a hurry from there. Jason Campbell? Tavaris Jackson? Matt Moore? Drew Stanton??? A veritable who’s who of dreck. Flacco has proven he can beat shitty teams most of the time, and good teams once in a while, but he more than likely isn’t going anywhere, so this is good news for Smith (and the Niners by proxy if they can drum up a bidding war for Alex’s services).

Beyond that, the college QB class is bereft of anything eye-popping, or even eye-opening. Geno Smith? Tyler Wilson? Matt (Hot-tub Barkley? This could be the 1st draft in NFL history where a QB is not taken in the entire 1st round.

So, that leaves trades as the only way for the plethora of teams out there desperate for a QB to get someone. The best backup by far is one Alex Smith. He’s the 3rd ranked QB in the league, for God’s sake. Matt Flynn and Kevin Kolb could likely be on the block as well, but Kolb sucks, and Flynn is still an unknown entity.

So, who are the players out there that need QBs? Shit. Who doesn’t? San Diego could very well be tiring of the blase uncaring turnover machine that Philip Rivers has become. Alex would be a great fit with Norv Turner, but ol’ turkey neck is toast in SD. The Jets are totally hosed with the only guy in the league with MORE turnovers than Philip Rivers (47 in his last 2 years), in Mark Sanchez and his whopping 50 in the same span.

The Jets have MUCH more on their plate than just QB problems, as they have a front office that rivals the Niners in 2009. Rex Ryan distrusts the front office, and the front office is more concerned with being ‘relevant’ (see the Tim Tebow trade), and they have a team with little talent, and no leadership in sight.

Cleveland isn’t all that impressed with their geriatric rookie Brandon Weeden. Another 10 loss season will do that to folks. They have some good young talent in RB Trent Richardson and WR Josh Gordon, and a decent young defense. That would be a prety good fit for Alex.

AZ? Well, there lies the rub. Can the Niners pull something like this off if they get a good enough deal? Sure, Why not? The Iggles traded Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, a division rival, a few years back. This is a little different though. Smith has a lot more tread let on his tires. the Niners may be a little leery of trading him to a division rival. AZ is terrible offensively, especiall their O line. It is giving up sacks at am alarming rate, and both Red Skelton and Kevin Kolb have been pummeled trying to run that offense. Beef up the line, and get a better QB and AZ could be right back in the mix. Hence the Niners uneasiness sending him to AZ.

KC is another possibility. Matt Cassel isn’t reminding anyone of Tom Brady anymore, and is considered pretty much a bust at this point. I know little about the Chiefs, but they have some good young players. Would Alex fit there? Sure. Why not? KC will likely get a slew of new coaches after this nightmare of a season. They might shoot for an established QB as well.

So, what do the Niners look to get in a trade? A 2nd and 4th pick? Sure. Strangely enough, the Niners have upwards of 13 picks in 2013 due to trades and supplemental compensation picks. I don’t think they would know what to do with 2 more picks in the draft. Could they even concievably get a late 1st round pick? A high #1? The hope would be a bidding war broke out, and it could very well happen. I think a 2 and 4 is possible, and I have no idea who they could trade for, but the Niners do need D line depth, safety depth, and maybe a WR to hunt for in trade.

89 Responses to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington? No. AZ? SD? NYJ? Cleve?

Am I just totally clueless on this or don’t the Niners have to pick up his bonus plus a 7 mil 1-year deal before they could even entertain trading him? And why would they do that and let that count against the cap? And why would another team give up a draft pick and not have him locked up for more than a year?
    I figured we were just going to release him before March but you’re suggesting something different, right? I apologize in advance if I’m missing something here………

• Grumpy Guy says:

I think we could trade him before that date… but I don’t think we will. I expect him to be released. Of course some fool *could* actually trade for him, but I don’t think there will be more than two or three teams interested. Maybe not fair, but I think the feeling around the league is that despite his stats, you just can’t rely on him to carry your team.

I hope for his sake he doesn’t land with the Cardinals. He could get sacked 80 times in the season if he lasts that long.

2. dirtnrocksnomo says:

If I was Smith I would try to get to Minnesota somehow. Ponder sucks and they have to get something out of Peterson’s productive years.

Trade Smith? You can’t be serious. Don’t think for a second the rest of league didn’t see Smith exposed in free agency last off season without any offers. What did John Beason say? 13-3 and almost not asked to return? So what’s Smith’s fair market? On Skeeber’s blog last year I argued Smith’s fair market was around 5 million per year because Smith had no other suitors. And I still contend that I was right even though Smith was paid 8 or 9. Why? Because Smith didn’t have any other suitors and if Baalke wanted to offer Smith 5 million per year, who else was going to match that? (as I write this I’m just deplored Sanchez is getting 8 million per year – I could play qb better). Smith will hit the free agent market and nobody will come calling at first because teams will figure what Smith is worth to them and right out of the chute his price tag will be too expensive. They’ll let Smith soften and then someone (my bet is the Jets or Chiefs) will get Smith at a 4 million per year bargain only after Smith has sat on the free agent shelf for a while. Why 4 per year? Because it’ll be hard to sell Smith to fans anywhere.

I argued incorrectly that Peyton and Irsay would workout a way to allow the Colts to be compensated for Manning leaving. If Irsay and Manning can’t get compensation for the Colts, Baalke and Smith aren’t going to get a scratch for Smith’s services. I doubt there will be a trade. Smith will hit the free agent market, soften, then sign with a team that’s rebuilding. My first bet is the Chiefs. My second guess is the Jets. Tebow, Smith and Sanchez. Yes, I’d like a shit sandwich with a side of diarrhea, please….. and hold the season tickets.

• Grumpy Guy says:

If Alex thinks his treatment in SF has sucked…. wait until the first time he loses in JetsLand. Their team may have sucked since Namath was playing, but that doesn’t stop the NY media or fans from weekly hysterics.

His contract is longer than a year but we have the option to release him before 4/1 without being on the hook for next year’s money. $1M is guaranteed regardless IIRC and a trade can made when the new contract year begins 3/1 or so. Whatever hasn’t been amortized on the books yet from his ($10M?) guaranteed money from the 2012 contract will hit the books on his release as dead money. I think.

5. Alleykat says:

KC could wind up being a prime spot for Alex.
    Decent O line,good running game,decent WR’s.
    Their defense under the right DC could be dangerous too.
    Plus I think his wife is from the Midwest.So that’s my pick.

I’m missing this whole trade thing. Why would a team trade for Smith when they know we’re going to cut him before the roster bonus kicks in. He’ll be released, became a FA then pick his own poison of destinations. I thought the guy over at Niner Nation explained it pretty well…

*become” I’ll become sober Friday if the Mayans are correct. Haven’t decided what I’d choose for my last drink on earth. Probably would keep it simple and have a cold Bud in my lucky 49er Budweiser class. I’ve had that thing for years. Can’t imagine the day if and when I break it. I’d wreak more havoc than any Mayan prophecy.

• Spitblood says:

He’ll play for the Toronto Argonauts and he’ll be lucky to get a contract.

There’s no way we are trading him without him signing an extension and then him agreeing to the team we want to trade with (otherwise, why would he sign the extension?). And if he’s only signed for next season I can’t imagine we’d get anything for him. Plus, I’ll ask it again, doesn’t that money count against the cap if we sign him, even if we trade him?
    Fuck that, not worth it and it’s pretty bad karma to boot to hold Smith hostage for a draft pick. Just let him go, he’s a nice guy, he deserves a chance to sign with who ever he wants to sign with……

Response for Barleyfreak;

I think Baalke will try to find interested teams for Alex when trades become allowed next league year as a trade may be the best way for a team that doesn’t want a bidding war to get him.

• Spitblood says:

Why would there be a bidding war for Smith if A.) The NFL is now seeing rookie success out of late rounder qbs like Cousins and Wilson who are super, super cheap, and B.) The NFL saw Smith on the free agent market without any offers and the only suitor being the lowly Dolphins who didn’t even offer Smith a contract? If you and one other dude were walking down the street and saw a pile of dog stuff on the sidewalk why would you get into a bidding war over the excrement?

• NoFear49er says:

No one has disliked Alex Smith as our QB more or longer than I have, but I’m trying to be objective in predicting what the market may be like for Alex next year.

He’s proven to be able to run an offense without losing the game. That alone would be a huge and necessary improvement on several teams. The QBR and INT record he’s achieved this year and his play at the end of last year are pretty strong bargaining points for a lot of teams trying to stabilize while rebuilding or gathering and coachinhg up some critical pieces. Hell, Harbaugh may let play against ARI to boost his record. He’s done everything else to boost the guy’s value.

Hey, it may be that there’s no interested parties willing to offer up a 2nd and a 2nd the next year or something similar and we take less, but we should get something him, and if we can we should.

9. Grumpy Guy says:

The wild card for his destination is Norv Turner. If Norv gets an OC gig next season after the Bolts dump him, Alex might very well follow him.

If Roman gets a HC gig somewhere I’m hoping that Norv would return here. Wouldn’t work under that scenario.

• Spitblood says:

I’m betting Fangio goes before Roman. I’d follow Fangio anywhere. Roman would have a tough time convincing me he’s mentally and physically tough.

If you read the fucking post, Spit. you’d realize that there is NOTHING available in the draft or free agency for QBs. If a team needs a QB, there conciveably could be a market for him. Under notrmal circumsatnces, he’d wait. But there could be action regarding him.

The $8 mill kicks in on 4/1/13 and there are a lot of teams that need a QB.

Flav, there may be interest before the 4/1/13 deadline. The trade window opens up in early March and it is in the realm of possiibility that teams may try to get him before he’s released. So, it may cost a team less to settle with the the Niers than wait for Smith to hit the market.

I’m not completely sold on this, but if the Niners can get a couple picks, or even a player in trade, they should take a look. I mean it won’t be like Tebow getting a 4th rounder. It would be something better I’d hope.

• Flavor says:

But why would Smith agree to it? Think about it, if buffalo wanted to trade a 2nd rd pick for him and he was dead set against playing for Buffalo then all he has to do is say “there’s no way I’m signing an extension with Buffalo.” Buffalo would rescind that offer in a nano second
      He holds all the cards in any situation like this, in my opinion.
      And why try to force this anyway? Just let him go, a trade seems way too complicated to me and no one has answered my cap question yet so I think there are logistics that would never let this bird fly….

Only the mill counts against Smith before 4/1/13.

The point being, a shitload of teams need a QB. There very well could be a bidding war for him. He wouldn’t have to sign the extension, but the Niners can still trade his ass before the deadline.

• Flavor says:

Ok good to know but what about the rest of my post? Unless Smith agreed to an extension b4 the trade why would he ever allow this? And if he’s going to agree to an extension, why would a participating trade partner give up shit? Just wait till he gets released and offer him the deal then.

It’s not an extension. Smith’s contract has 2 years left. The team that signs him will have to pick up the $16 mill he’s due, but that is not too much to deal with for a starter.

Smith has zero leverage. The Niners actually have all the chips. They can hope for a bidding war or cut him before he gets his $8 mill.

• Flavor says:

I don’t think you’ve thought this through. He’s getting released, book it

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Alex Smith is signed for 2 more years to a non-guaranteed contract.
        The team that trades for him has him for 2 years. FortyNiners control where he goes
        and regardless what they do his bonus money counts against the salary cap.
        Releasing him for nothing would be a Terry Donahue move.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Oh, the 49ers will TRY to trade him. I’m just not sure there will be a willing partner. A lot of teams will have questions about the guy, based no only on his history but on JH’s dropping him so abruptly.

If teams believe they can get him as a FA after his release they will. If teams think JH may keep him at that price (unlikely) or that there will be more than a coupe of bidders, they are more likely to trade.

We likely won’t know until march how it’s going to play out. My hunch is he will get released, but if the Keystone Cops, I mean the Jets, get involved, who knows?

The dubs just erased a 9 point Kings lead in about 45 seconds.

And they are giving it awawy. as Curry fouls out.

The Niners have an opt out after March 1, does Alex have the same clause?
    8 mil a year is a bargain for a vet starting QB, thats why a trade is possible. If only the Niners have the opt out clause they control the balance of Alex’s contract. A team needing him would be willing to offer a pic, 3rd?, and assume his relatively low contract value.
    Having said that, I doubt he gets traded and ends up released.
    He signs a 2 year @10 mil per, guaranteed contract although the non guaranteed portions may be much larger IMO.

No, he doesn’t. Alex is on a 3 year deal. On;y the Niners have the opt-out. Which is why the deal was looked at as a bit of a diss at the time.

12th, as I said, the only reason I see a trade happening is the convergance of a totally shitty free agent QB group combined with the weakest QB draft class in years. I don’t think a QB gets drafted in the 1st round this year.

kind of reminds me of why we kept Alex after 2010 and why he agreed to come back, a lack of a better alternative due to the lockout and QB/team availability.

I haven’t thought this through, Flav? Bullshit. How many teams need a QB in 2013? 10? Who’s available on the FA market? No one. Draft? No one. Unless Matt Barkley floats your boat. Besides the teams I’ve already mentioned, Ponder’s sucking the dog in Minn, Vick is gone in Philly, Palmer’s a joke in Oak, Jax ain;t going anywhere with Gabbert, Tennessee? Locker? He’s about as accurate as Ryan Leaf is now. That’s 11 teams off the top of my head that would vastly improve getting Smith.

Believe it or not, getting Smith before he hits the open market could save a team some money. Any number of teams may not want to risk losing out on Smith in the open market. Does that mean it will happen? No, but it’s very possible.

It’s certainly not impossible. Even if you agree that he is average/above average skill wise that is a ton better than 10-12 teams are playing with now. I don’t agree with you about the Cards as a spot for him though. Division foe, shitty line, new or lame duck coach, different offensive scheme.

Gentlemen the fortune telling window is now open for our Niners VS Seahawks weekly tilt. Step right this way and lay ’em down. Whaddaya see in that crystal ball?

RT: 37-26 Niners. This one is in the loudest Dome in the league, grudge match between those two guys. Should be a great test for Kappy, and don’t you go telling me the next day Alex would have done any better. I don’t (expletives deleted again) care. It will be a harder game than the Pats one. But the Niners 37-26.

Phil: 31-24 Niners. Kap is gonna rally these guys to pull out a tough win and the D will be ready. Hopefully JimBO doesn’t go too conservative on O or Vader on D. Enough with the injuries already though I expected more this year. Thankfully we’ve been deep enough…

22. Where will Alex Smith land next year?

“And Smith will be a starter. He will be coveted by many teams around the league.

The main question is how will he exit? If the 49ers cut him, they’ll owe him $1 million. If he’s on their roster as of April 1, the 49ers must pay Smith his entire base salary of $7.5 million.

But if the 49ers can arrange a trade, they’ll likely get something significant in return. Smith is a proven starting quarterback and his base salary is very low for his position: he ranks 20th in the league behind the likes of Mark Sanchez, Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel.

(Ann Killion)

• Spitblood says:

Would you pay $7.5 million for Smith under Romeo Crennell? Romeo is Mike Singletary. Under Mike Singletary Troy Smith beat out Alex Smith. $7.5 million looks a lot different under Harbaugh than it does someone like Romeo or Rex Ryan. GM’s know this.

In addition, by my count there are only four teams out there right now that need a qb – Arizona, the Jets, Chiefs and maybe the Eagles. I think the Browns, Titans, Vikings and a few others will go with their current starters a few more years. If there are only four teams out there looking, I’m betting those teams draft qbs. Now one of them may want a proven starter as a bridge and that’s where Smithmakes sense, but Ann Kilion’s “high demand,” and get a high draft pick or “good compensation” for Smith may be a little out of left field. I don’t know that I’m paying $8 million and trade away draft picks for a stop gap qb.

Ann Killion should stick to doing the fluff pieces, she is a terrible beat reporter. Spit I think you are coloring the Smith issue too darkly. He is a solid mid level QB. In the right situation he can be successful, as evidence look at how he has performed with the Niners since Harbaugh. I’m not a big Smith fan but denying his vast improvement is unfair. Also, suggesting he gets 4 mil a year is an unnecessary piling on of his situation. A contract value of less than half the already low ball offer the Niners gave him following his successful season? And he was doing well again this year.

If I was Alex and the opportunity arises I would take the Browns job. They have good front office guys and are on the upswing talent wise. He would be a decent upgrade over Weedon.

• Spitblood says:

12th? The right situation? Don’t you mean “fantastic situation?” With Harbaugh as your coach – a former NFL qb – that’s a fantastic situation. I don’t think people give that enough weight. Wait until Smith goes someplace else.

I think “fantastic situation” is what he has here yes. It’s why I don’t weight his performance as much as some others on the blogs and why I say he is a solid mid level guy rather than a top 5 QB which is how his stats stack up. There are other situations where he could succeed too. I don’t see him repeating his achievements he has made here but that is not the same as writing the guy off as back-up fodder or a 4 mil value QB.

Really Spit? That doesn’t matter at all. Get a clue. If Crennell sees the need, he’ll do it. He’s a dolt as an offensive guy? That matters not.

Besides, this is the worst draft for quarterbacks ever. No one is going to be able to get a guy who you can plug in like Smith and get solid, and occasionally spectacular play.

Geno Smith? Right. Hot tub Matt Barkley? These guys will go in the 2nd round. You’re looking at a 3rd round guy by the time the 4th QB gets picked.

• Spitblood says:

So you think Romeo would help Smith’s career? Where were Russell Wilson and Cousins drafted, Chuck?

I don’t care what Crennel does with Alex. He can make Alex return punts for all I care. It doesn’t matter what Crennel does with Smith. The point is, Crennel may want to trade for him. Crennel’s probably gone after this season anyway. If he sucks there, who cares? Yeah, Montana came out of the 3rd round. Every NFL draft has a Montana in the 3rd round. Big fucking deal. Matt Barkley is going to work out just like Matt Leinart, not Joe Montana.

Irregardless your blindness, Smith offers a good skill set for a team with a need for QB. If he hits the open market, AZ is going after him in a big way.

27-13 Niners. The D doesn’t falter.

25. barleyfreak says:

Predictions:

Smith is released and signs with KC (I see that Spit is riding my brilliant coattails on this)

27-20, Seattle. Yeah, I’m the glass half full guy, I guess. SEA is on role — playing much better offensively than the 6 points we gave up to them in October. Wilson will play much better and our D will still show a slight winded hangover from the 2nd half of the NE game.

There. I’ve done it. I’ve given us the best chance of winning by predicting a loss. How bout my FF team!

Fucking NoFear sees Alex in a clearer way than you, Spit.

And that’s saying something. It’s laughable. This is the best scenario that Smith could have dreamed up.

You know where it is, Spitty . . .

Same to you . . .

Here’s a thought, speaking of Christmas and family and kids… weren’t we?

No matter how big and badass you are, when a two-year-old kid hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

My oldest (22) called 911 when she was 14 months old.

30. Alleykat says:

Asked to describe the “Hallmark” of Pete Carroll coached teams,Harbaugh deadpanned:”I don’t remember getting any cards from him-at the holidays.”

31. Grumpy Guy says:

Dashon Goldson got dinged 21 large for putting the Ronnie Lott on Hernandez. Goodell strikes again.

• Spitblood says:

$21 large ain’t bad. They were thinking about fining Ed Reed something like a half million dollars. Wasn’t it $400k or something? That’s ridiculous.

David Akers just got a death threat on twitter and shut down his account. My money’s on Berger. People have it out for the 49ers lately, I swear. We’re just tryin’ to win Super Bowls, baby. Don’t hate me ’cause you ain’t me…..

• Grumpy Guy says:

Naw, Berger only does crazy shit when he’s drunk. Since he didn’t post 22 times in a row on Skeeber’s blog, he wasn’t drunk. Therefore he’s innocent. Now, V from the Comical, I could almost believe, except if he didn’t do it to Alex, he wouldn’t do it to anyone.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

I saw a posting from FlyingV on SF Gate blaming the Yorks for stealing the FortyNiners from Eddie DeBartalo and wishing their plane would crash. I thought that was way over the top and knew then that Flying V was certifiably and clinically crazy.

• NoFear49er says:

What do Razor, Wong, Dirt Diver and Bullit have to say about that ToTo?

I guess you should know crazy when you spot it.

• Spitblood says:

LOL. It’s a nut house in here.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Nut house? Shit, this is nothing. Wait for the Defender of the Alex Smith Faith to show up, then we’ll start pouring Psychotic Venoms like there’s no tomorrow. Drink like Mayans tonight, boys, for tomorrow, it’s probably another thousand years of the same old shit. Too bad: the end of the world, like the barbarians, would have been a sort of solution.

• As Kat sez it’s a “dementia love-fest” around here at times but I can see psychotic venom is pretty accurate too

This year and last year’s QB markets are quite different, IMO. Not much out there in collegeland. Barkley? He’s been hurt, and exposed as not the next Carson Palmer.
    So, Alex’ rights should be more valuable on the supply side. On the demand side, there’s a good handful of NFL teams that are up the proverbial S Creek without a QB. So, the league demand for his services should be up. Result? Baalke should have some leverage in drumming up some competitive bidding to get a decent combo of 2014 or 2015 picks for his services. Niners have enough picks for next year, so get some high ones for the out years…

So far Alex has been a good company man, it will be an interesting scenario of events once the season is over. To me the one thing Smith has over a lot of QBs is that he really is a tough kid. He’s taken plenty of brutal hits and got right back up. For years I really wanted Smith off the team but since the Harbaugh regime he has turned into a very good QB. I wouldn’t mind having Smith stay and be our backup even though I know that won’t happen. I know Tolzien(sp) is supposedly pretty good that has yet to be seen.

• Spitblood says:

Winder –
      I used to like you until…….”but since the Harbaugh regime he has turned into a very good qb.” Next year it’s Kaep, Tolzien and why not draft another qb to develop? A young Harbaugh qb to develop with the intent to trade ain’t nothin’ to scoff at. Smith is damaged goods somewhat restored. But you get a big kid late in the draft with intangibles who’s really raw and sit him behind Tolzien and in two years you could be asking for a 2nd round pick for a guy you drafted in sixth. Andy Reid did it and Reid doesn’t have the chops Harbaugh has. Tolzien and Smith are similiar, but Tolzien doesn’t have the baggage and might be more athletic. And Tolzien is a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

• Winder says:

Lol. Believe me I am thrilled at the progress of Cappy and of the firepower that comes with him. And, i would love to see Tozien take over the # 2 spot, however that really remains to be seen. If I remember correctly both me and U pretty much wanted Alex to get hit be a truck years ago.

It doesn’t matter, Spit. Smith ain’t staying. Unless Kappy drops off the face ot the earth tonight.

The fucking Raiders have like 4 picks in this draft due to their brilliant signings of Carson Palmer and Terelle Pryor.

Trade some picks to Oaktown for their pick. They will be top 5. The Niners could then grab Star Lotulelei, NT from the Utes or Jomathan Hankins from Ohio State.

• Winder says:

That would make too much sense. Never happen. They will probably trade a couple of picks for some more established players.

The Raiders are toast for at least another two years. Darth Al left an empty cupboard, of picks, and then Hue dumped the ones they had left to get Palmer. I’ll be surprised if they don’t turnover at least half the squad this offseason. Dennis Allen is looking like he might be a young version of Mike Nolan. If I were a FA, I wouldn’t even take a call from Oakland. To be a Raider fan nowadays has to be brutal. I think back of the days in the ’70s when the Raiders were IT. And they finally got in the SB again and clubbed Minny. I don’t consider the LA days actual Raider days. I’ve not been a real fan since they moved to LA. When they moved back up, something changed and the fanbase turned from what it was before into what it is now — some kind of mix of real fans, punks, thugs and jokesters…

• Winder says:

snarkk – I also remember the Raiders being one of the most hardnosed teams throughout the 60’s and 70’s and although I’ve been a Niner fan since the 50’s i always did apprieciate their brand of football. Nothing about the Raider organization of today reminds me of the old days

Yeah, I never liked the team back in the 70s, But I did like a lot of the players. Shit, Freddy B, The Snake, the Mad Stork, the ghost to the post. They just looked like they were having way too much fun as they beat the shit out of teams. Since the Niners got so close and couldn’t gret over the top, it really pissed me off.

Here’s the thing about Goldson’s hit on Hernandez; he did lead with his helmet and he did knock the ball loose by doing it. And his timing was about perfect. A proper technique tackle (head up, across the body, drive shoulder through player) probably doesn’t jar the ball loose.

So I understand that’s the rule now. But how does a player unlearn the instinct to knock that ball out especially against a team that’s killing you with a no huddle attack?

Goldson’s appealing the play. And, I just think this is to the point of absurdity. If Goldson keeps his head up, it’s helmet-to-helmet, even if the brunt of the hit went to Hernandez’ shoulder pad. If he puts his head down, it’s leading with the head, spearing, or whatever you want to call. it. HJow can you square someone up to hit him without your head bening involved in the hit? I understand launching one’s self like a missile to nail someone, but if you are trying to hit a moving target, sometimes you make incidental contact with the other guy’s helmet.

New post is up . . .