All Alex All Day Forever . . .

Stop me if you heard this before. Anyhow, the switch has been made, the die is cast, the team has moved on, and only an injury would put Young Sir Alex back on the field for the San Francisco 49ers. Arguing the merits of the switch, or the hose-job that Alex recieved from Jim Harbaugh, the guy that pulled his career from the depths of mediocrity, is certainly blogg fodder for the down time between games, or it is a signal to everyone on the team that Harbaugh will say or do anything as the cost of his integrity and his word to get his way.

Certainly I think this went down differently in the locker room rather than how is was presented to the media. I obviously don’t know any better, but I’d have to think Harbaugh sat Smith down and told him, “Look, I’m going with Kappy, the guy I specifically brought in to run this team, rather than go back to you. I think the team will be better for it. I know it sucks for you, Alex, but it’s my call and I’m making it. Would I have made the switch if you hadn’t gotten hurt? hard to say, probably not, but that’s how it is.”

Alex Smith certainly has gotten a raw deal from the 49ers. From the offensively challenged years of Nolan/Hostler to the shoulder injury to the backstabbing by Nolan to the lost years, and then the fun of Mike Singletary and his revolving quarterback system to the seemingly glory days of finally getting a coaching staff that understood something about running an offense. 2012 was supposed to be the crowning achievement of Alex Smith’s career. Coming a botched punt from reaching the Super Bowl after winning one of the most excitiing playoff games in history, he was set to lay waste to the NFL landscape on his way to the Super Bowl. And he had done that, for the most part this season. Big early road wins over the Packers and AZ, and tough wins over Deetroit and Seattle among others, Smith was 6-2 when he went down with the concussion vs the Rams.

Truth is, Smith did nothing to lose the job. And that’s what the kicker is around this. Kappy certainly is playing within percentage points of Smith regarding ratings and such (104.3 Smith, 101.3 Kappy QBR / 79.5 Kappy, 70.1 Smith in Total QBR), and he brings a much bigger threat as a scrambler on proken plays. He appears to do a better job of extending plays, and buying time to find open guys. Turnovers? Well, that’s an issue. Kappy has fumbled much more than tiny hands Smith, and while the weather can be looked at as a problem in NE, Brady didn’t fumble shit while Kappy had major problems in the 1st half. To the tune of 4 botched exchanges. None led to turnovers, but one killed a 4th and one on NE’s 24 yard line. Those problems were fixed by Kappy and Goodwin making adjustments at the half. Some sort of hand adjustments that seemed to remedy the problems. Willthis be true going forward? We’ll see. But let’s hope they work this out, because the weather could be very similar in Seattle as it was in NE.

In his few games, Kappy’s made a few bad throws. The pick to Moss in the end zone, he failed to pick up the underneath safety closing from the left side as he rolled right before he threw. And the pick in the NO game, eh rushed a throw from a bad snap, and didn’t see the underneath safety again close on the play and make the pick on the left sideline. Other than that, he has brought a more dynamic feel to the QB position, although the numbers couldn’t be much more even at this point.

So, why the switch? Obviously it is because of the playoffs. Harbaugh must feel that while Alex can win in the regular season, he feels Kaepernick gives them a better shot in the playoffs. Certainly the Giants game this year didn’t help Smith’s cause. He threw 3 picks and no TDs, but a lot of the problems in that game point directly to Harbaugh and his musical QB scenario that killed a bunch of early drives. The Minn game was another shit game, but that was a bad defensive game and the Niners totally abandoned the run game after a slow start on offense. 24 for 35 and 204 isn’t bad, but the run game was non-existent and the defense was bad that day.

Kappy’s big wins against quality opponents certainly make the decision look good so far. Going forward? We’ll see. There are those who say that the season is a failure if the Niners don’t reach the Super Bowl, and while there is a certain glimmer of truth to that, in reality it’s horseshit. Every season is different. There are personnel changes, injuries, different opponents, and a thousend different variables to consider from one season to the next.

Harbaugh certainly bears the brunt of the fallout for the decision should the Niners not reach the promised land, but I don’t think he gives a shit. He’s still the golden child of the bay area, and the archtect of 2 playoff season in 2 years for the 49ers, and he brought the aura of excitement around the team just when they needed it for their new stadium opening in 2014.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

20 Responses to All Alex All Day Forever . . .

1. shaman138 says:

I’m just glad they beat the motherfucking Patriots…Kap isn’t the real problem, the poorly timed conservative play calling and the general inconsistency of the team is.

Yeah, that;s the rub, Sham. This team lives and dies out of having a tough defense and a strong run game. If they do go down, it’ll likely be for some other reason. Much like last year’s playoff loss. ST play was their doom.

3. Alleykat says:

Man I hope the Niners take every oppertunity to “Stick it to Petey ” and destroy this team.
    They way they kept humiliating Arizona and Buffalo and calling for fake punts up 40 and other lame ass excuses saying “I wanted to change that play ,but it was to late…Fuck you Petey…”As JH says In your face Sucker Punk”!!!!

I don’t think Smith got a raw deal in SF at all. Smith did have McCarthy, Turner and Harbaugh, and Smith did get paid “starting” qb money while the York family righted the ship. We’ll never know, but what if Smith started for Mike Shannahan for the first three or four years of Smith’s career? One-eyed Shanny may have dumped Smith after year three and Smith would have found it more difficult to make 8 million per year as a backup or a retread. The 49ers, under such jokers as Nolan, McCloughan, Singletary, Jimmy, Hostler and company were a rebuilding team with a void that Smith made a lot of money off. Sure, Smith didn’t have consistency with his coaching staff but that’s both good and bad for Smith. On the one hand, if Smith had the goods, he couldn’t develop quickly enough without support. On the other hand, if Smith didn’t have the goods, he’d get paid while the team pulled it together. And let’s consider this – the minute the team got their offensive act together for two consecutive years,Smith hit the sidelines. It’s my contention that if the team got its coaching act together in 2007, Smith would have been holding a clipboard for the last five years. I know most will disagree with that, but the point is….. Smith got paid. I don’t feel sorry for him at all. Now Smith will hit the open market and I’m betting Smith’s yearly salary drops each year for the next three.

We’ll never know, Spit. I think Rodgers would have failed here under the coaching that was in place. Much as Alex did. The difference being Rodgers would have split at the earliest opportunity. Had McCarthy stayed and Rodgers been drafted? Who knows?

Smith is what he is. He isn’t as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. And he’s not going to drag an underachieving team to greatness by the force of his will. He’ll do fine as a starter next year. Provided (like any other QB in the league) he has a good team around him.

6. Grumpy Guy says:

Smith on a good team can win. The ideal situation for him might be a middle of the pack team takes at QB in the first round this year, but does not think he’ll be ready for a year or two. He could have some success for a while that way. I fear if he goes to the Cardinals he’ll get killed. The Cards give up sacks, Alex takes sacks. Movable object, meet resistible force. -> Ouch.

It shouldn’t be too hard to fix their line. I’m sure Alex sees AZ as the best scenario as well.

One, because they have a good defense.

Two, he’d get to play the Niners 2x a year. That could end up being bad for hinm, but I’m sure he sees that differently.

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

Smith doesn’t really strike me as caring if he gets to match up with SF in the division or not. What about Minnesota? Who do they have Ponder?

• Spitblood says:

If Smith gets other “comparable” offers, I doubt Smith goes to the Cardinals. I think the Chiefs and Jets will make Smith an offer. I truly believe the reason Hasselbeck didn’t come to the 49ers is because he didn’t want to spite his former Seahawk fan base playing inside the division alla McNabb. I think Smith will be of the same mind provided the offers are comparable. But, I do think Smith will be looking for an offensive minded coach who can designs plays for Smith. We’ll see….

• Alleykat says:

Hey atleast Alex would have one buddy in Arizona.Guard Adam Snyder,though probably not much help keeping him upright.

We’ll not let Alex go to a division rival if we can help it. Trent’s too smart for that.

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

I think Smith will actually stand up for himself once the season ends and SF won’t have a say in where he goes

• barleyfreak says:

How will we “not let Alex go to a division rival?” I could be wrong, but I think if we don’t release him by 4/1/13, we’re on the hook for a big chunk. Since every NFL team knows that, trading him seems less likely. If they wait until 4/2, then he’s a FA and can negotiate with them. If they are SUPER desperate for a QB, then maybe, but despite his improvement and serviceability, I don’t think that the NYJ, KC AZ teams are going to go hog wild to get him in their unis. More likely they’ll give him a decent offer and he’ll go where offer+team makes sense for him. I have trouble seeing a trade in this scenario.

Hope I’m wrong, of course. And FWIW, I think KC would be best for him.

Are you trying to ruin my Christmas by continuing to talk about Alex Smith? I won’t allow it. I have better things to do like go decorate another tree. It’s getting to be a little much. I’m running out of lights. Thank Christ they’re not Bud Lights. I hear the Cardinals have a young stud on their practice squad. If Smith lands there, I don’t think he’ll start over this kid…

Spit, when did they let you out? Back in time just for the world to end on Friday. I always said you have impeccable timing.

• Spitblood says:

They let me out when Kaep started. I’ve been adjusting my eyes to the lights and working on getting dexterity back in my fingers. Ya’ll in for some good times…

I kinda think that the Eagles would be the perfect place for Alex. They have a strong run game and a pretty good D. Since Vick really doesn’t fool anyone anymore I think it would be a good fit for him.

12. rob says:

IMHO
    alex smith gave his best to the 49ers and suffered a lot of crap at the hands of the drdork/nolan regime ! on the other hand they did make him the #1 pick in the draft and pay him WAY more than his production on the field called for !
    i still do like alex a lot ! i really can’t say that about the other two !

New thread. Dennis you’ll like it. It’s about where we TRADE Alex.