“What’s Your Deal” Bowl VII

Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll meet once again on opposite sides of the field as the San Francisco 49ers head north on I-5 to play the Seattle Seahawks in the latest incarnation of the “What’s you deal?” bowl. These guys have been butting heads since 2007, when Jim Harbaugh was hired by Stanford after his stint coaching the college powerhouse, the USD Toreros. Harbaugh’s Cardinal of course beat USC in 2007 as 41 point underdogs, one of the greatest upsets in college football history. And the fight was on. The Cardinal lost in 2008, but 2009 gave us the 55-21 trouncing of the Rubbers in LA. Harbaugh’s 2 point conversion on the last TD led to the title of this thread.

Harbaugh ended up 2-1 vs USC, the only college coach to have a winning record vs Pistol Pete in the college ranks. Pete came to Seattle in 2010, and went 1-1 under the previous 49er regime. But, enter Jim Harbaugh in 2011, and Pete is once again winless in Seattle vs Harbaugh. Jim is a perfect 3-0 vs the Hawks, winning 33-17, and 19-17 last season, and a hard-fought 13-6 win earlier this season.

Much of the gravitas of this upcoming game was doused when the 49ers took care of New England, and thus still have a 1.5 game lead with 2 to go, so Seattle can’t take the west lead with a win, but Seattle is still fighting for their wildcard lives. At 9-5, they control the top WC spot as of now, but there are 5 teams at 8-6 who could easily slide in to take their hole. Seattle still has a slim chance to win the West, albeit at the hands of SF losing to AZ at home, which is highly unlikely, but the crux of this game lies in the hands of these coaches. At least that’s the compelling storyline.

A 49er win would pretty much lock up the #2 seed for the Niners and get the coveted 1st week bye. Green Bay has the Titans at home (win) and Minn on the road (probably a win), so the Niners need to beat Seattle to take it. Damaging Seattle’s playoff hopes is extra gravy for the biscuits. Much as a Niner loss would be a big feather in Pete’s cap as it would likely kill the Niners shot at the 1st round bye.

94 Responses to “What’s Your Deal” Bowl VII

1. Alleykat says:

The “”Cowboy” Justin Smith will “Saddle up and ride em” come Sunday night says JH.Knew he would.Dude has the 3rd longest active streak.going behind Rohde Barber and London Fletcher.Not about to miss this big game.

Holy shit. I made the mistake of scrolling backwards through the thread. I didn’t realize the party kept going. Wheeee! I do this for fun?

RTF, Flav isn’t racist. Trust me on this. If you don’t, tough shit.

NoFear, yer the baby that got thrown out with the bathwater. I killed a ton of posts that dealt with the fight between RTF and Flav. You got caught in the wash. Sorry. But that’s the deal.

Twin, if you don’t like the way I handle this place, then leave. You are a guest. As are the rest of these clowns. I’ve known you a long time, and you know your shit, but you also create animosity and anger at the drop of a hat. Your pissing and moaning over shit that happened long ago is so much bullshit. And at some point, you and NoFear need to acknowledge that you two will never agree on Young Sir Alex and his place in the NFL firmament, so please stop arguing about it.

Spit? Fuck, don’t bother shortening your shit. I will. Christ, the Great American blog post?

The rest of you? Well, thanks for putting up with these pissing matches that tend to break out in my little corner of internet heaven. As y’all may have noticed, there are times when I’m not monitoring this, and all hell breaks loose. I run this blog for no other reason than I’m a life-long Niner fan, and I enjoy talking about the team, and hearing different viewpoints.

But all this name-calling and hyperbolic racist horseshit makes me want to just say fuck it, kill the site and move on. I know, wahh wahh, poor me, cry me a river, Chuck. But come on. Can we act like we are actually talking to real people, say, at the local watering hole, and not hiding behind our keyboards acting like punks? Threats of any kind will be removed if and when I find them. And really. Get a grip.

3. dirtnrocksnomo says:

So what are the odds that JH starts Smith after the west is wrapped up with a win over Seattle? I actually could see that happening with JH’s reasoning being that it saves Kaepernick and let’s Smith get some game time reps. The fact that it is more humiliation for Smith is just gravy for JH.

• Flavor says:

I don’t see Smith coming into a game unless Kap is injured. Kap can use all the reps he can get going into the playoffs…….

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Forty Niners are fighting for the #2 seed with Green Bay and the first round bye.
      Remaining two games are must win otherwise they play the extra week and lose the advantage of a week off.

I’m glad you heard the JH interview. When he was asked directly about Smith’s availability, JH goes off on that little “Cowboy, saddle up” tangent and you could hear him kinda laughing to himself about it. I think Harbaugh gets bored with interviews sometimes and to entertain himself he starting talking about all that random shit we’ve heard from him in the past.
    When I was listening to it on the way in, I laughed out loud and thought, “JH is just fucking with Mac who was interviewing him. He never really answered the question, didn’t say what was wrong with Smith, he just indicated that he thought he’d play because he was a cowboy. Come on, what was that?

by the way, Aaron Rodgers, a guy who knows a thing or two about quarterbacking, had this to say on Yahoo today regarding Smith:
    “He comes in, he’s 70 percent completion, he’s 100-plus quarterback rating last year, he’s like barely over 1 percent interception percentage,” Rodgers said. “He’s a great quarterback. He just needs to go somewhere he gets appreciated for the skills he has and hopefully he gets a chance next year.”

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

That’s cool of Rodgers to say that in support of Smith.

• NoFear49er says:

Sounds just like a guy talking about his friend to the press. I hope Alex gets a chance somewhere next year, too. Somewhere else.

• snarkk says:

Uh, Alex is not, and never was a “great” QB. Maybe a great friend.
      If Alex were “great”, he wouldn’t be on the sidelines with Kap on the field.
      There’s nothing wrong with being “good”.
      Rodgers IS a great QB…

Flav, Chuck, I overreacted. Here in New Mexico, there are so many Native tribes and so many Hispanics from so many countries that jokes can get you knifed.
    But you know what? I don’t have problems out here, because I don’t make jokes and my friends and I do weird stuff like delivering groceries to old ladies and stuff. We don’t notice what color they are.
    I’m shutting it down. I’d rather write about Mark Sanchez.

Yeah, saw that Rodgers comment too. Whatever. Rodgers’ rant was pretty ridiculous regarding Braun when his steroid-laden piss test was thrown out due to nothing more than a technicality.

But, you play the QB position, you catch a lot of heat. From the outside world and in the locker room. Smith knows that more than anyone after surviving the last 2 regimes. Yeah, Smith got the shaft, but them’s the breaks. In the end, it’s Harbaugh’s choice. Right, wrong, or whatever. It’s not like Smith’s hurting over the ~$70 mill he’s earned from his stint here.

Smith has handled it better than would seem to be humanly possible. He’s pissed and disappointed, and he loses his job due to injury? That stinks, but sometimes life isn’t fair, and Harbaugh is his boss. Jimbo made the call and went with his guy. The guy he moved up in the draft to get. Smith should be thankful that Harbaugh resurrected his career. He’ll get a decent deal next year. Likely somewhere in the 3/$36 mill area. Hello AZ. Alex is still pretty young, and his style of football can help a lot of teams out there.

Plus, this is a completely shitty year for QBs in the 2013 draft. Free agents? Even less so. Smith coming out next year is the best possible time for this to happen to him.

• NoFear49er says:

I hear the Jets can use some help.

Ouch. I wouldn’t wish that on Tony Romo. Well, sure I would.

Sanchez’s game yesterday was just about the worst performance I’ve seen by an NFL QB since the Steve Spurrier days.

• NoFear49er says:

They’re in big trouble and maybe could use a solid game manager type for a year or two while they find a new franchise guy, but truth be told, I wouldn’t wish that circus, or their fans, on Alex either.

And, thanks for steering the conversation back to Alex, Flav (insert gay-ass smiley face) . . .

And the UFO Coyotes somehow beat Dennis’ red-hot team and are now in the Championship Game. And I intentionally left RG (III or not) in on principle.
    I’m a football fan and I root for my Niners first, second, and third. After that I root for great QBs unless they play for the Cowpatties.

With all the talk of banning, deleting and whatever is being requested Chuck to do, I will go with a quote from Barbershop with a few changes:

Wait, hold on here. Is this a Blogg? Is this a Blogg? If we can’t talk straight on a Blogg, then where can we talk straight? We can’t talk straight nowhere else. You know, this ain’t nothin’ but healthy conversation, that’s all.

I have to draw the line somewhere, Kevin. Straight talk isn’t calling fellow bloggers racists, or throwing threats around at each other.

Guys who work that hard and are pushed by the coaches so hard sometimes give themselves nicknames. Sometimes they earn it, sometimes they don’t. It’s a self-motivation technique.
    I remember somebody who called himself “Flash 80”.

I actually had a friend who did gardening work for this old man. He didn’t give himself the nickname, but he played to earn it.
    It’s been a few years, but he was opening his front door himself to give out Halloween candy to the neighborhood kids.
    “Say Hey”.

I think the 49ers can go into Atlanta and crush the Falcons in the playoffs. The 49er linebackers play fast on turf. Advantage 49ers, even if it’s an away game. But Lambeau? I’m afraid of Lambeau. I know we beat the Packers there at the beginning of the season but the playoffs are a different bird – and Rogers is getting hot. But if we get the second seed, no Lambeau for the Niners. I’m also afraid of the Giants. The Giants aren’t playing well, but I still think they’ll make the playoffs as a wildcard and beat whomever they face in the wildcard round, advancing either to Atlanta or SF. I think Kaep gives the 49ers an ability to beat the Giants, but I’m still afraid of the Giants because they have two important playoff pieces – a clutch qb and a dynamite pass rush. Fortunately for the 49ers and the rest of the NFC the Giants’ secondary isn’t very good this year. So, if you aren’t afraid of the Falcons at home, but you’re more concerned with the Giants anywhere and the Packers at home, the second seed is a big deal. But I just can’t help think the 49ers will be okay regardless what seed they ultimately earn. I think the 49ers will win the Super Bowl. I haven’t said that in a long, long time. Go Niners!

• rtfirefly says:

I am more worried about the Skins. Shanny and his son have assembled a great young team even with that idiot owner.
      2 QBs that half (halfs, halves) the teams in the league would (expletives deleted) for.

Problem with the Giants is they are going to a very pissed off Raven team in their house. If the Giants lose that (and they very well could), then they are out.

There isn’t a team in the playoffs that wants to play the Niners home or away. This team is fully capable of beating anyone anywhere. If they do beat the Squawks on Sunday I like the Niners chances of going to the bowl against Denver or New England.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Problem is, we can beat anyone, but can also lay some humongous eggs, and seem to do it every three weeks. This little soiree in Seattle is interesting, because we are due to trip on our dicks again. Breaking the ‘W-W-L’ pattern before we get to the playoffs would be encouraging.

• Right Grump it would be nice to beat Seattle and we’ll have a good chance with Kap. Our D will be ready and hopefully the injury bug will leave us alone. IF we fall to Sea then I think we run the table on the poor unfortunate guys that get in our way. I’m with Man on this. We beat GB, NO and NE on the fucking road this year. We scoffed at the Rams and Minn and took it in the shorts.

All BOs aside, we get in the NFC Title Game the 2W-1L pattern is gonna fall. And the 6th Lombardi is going to be held high by Justin, Jed and JimBO, not fer the last time my friends

We’ll see how it goes this weekend, but if the Niners can beat Seattle (1-0 so far), then they can beat the Skins.

• rtfirefly says:

Problem is, RG under Shanny runs a multiple option run option offense. With the zone blocking the Shannys always used to get nobodys 1000 yards a year just running up the middle.
      The Niners have to be able to put points on the board. RG has world class speed and can throw deep, too.
      I started actually paying attention to the schedule a few weeks ago, and it was too cold and windy to get out much.
      The East will come down to Cowpatties @ Skins.
      The Niners match up fantastically against the Patties, not so well against the Skins.
      But I will never, ever root for the Cowboys to win.

16. Grumpy Guy says:

Chuck, the popcorn manufacturing association of America asked me to personally beg you not to ban anyone. Think of the children.

Roasted, salted peanuts Grumpy. That’s what I always ate at those night games at Candlestick.
    This one is in the loudest Dome in the league, grudge match between those two guys.
    Should be a great test for Kappy, and don’t you go telling me the next day Alex would have done any better. I don’t (expletives deleted again) care.
    It will be a harder game than the Pats one. But the Niners 37-26.

signals LOL I’m making too many mistakes to post. The UFO Coyotes are in the Championship Game.
    The Niners are in the playoffs.
    Another big windstorm coming up, but it’s a drought with very little snow. Another 6 weeks and I’ll be out and about like a spring pup. New Mexico is weird.

Grump – I’m not worried about laying eggs. When the 49ers have a big game coming up they’re usually prepared. If you remember, the Giants game this year was a bad game because Harbaugh went with a combo of Kaep and Smith. That was a bad decision. Let’s scrap that game. The first Rams game of this year (my favorite all time game ever – anyone have a copy?) wasn’t an egg because Kaep was thrown into starting duty and we managed a tie. The second Rams game was an adjustment period because we had just lost Kendal Hunter which really hurt this team, and Kaep and the team were still adjusting to Kaep starting. In addition, I’d honestly like to know who called and who okay’d the option to Ginn up by 7 with 3 to play and Jacobs and Gore in the stable waiting to put ‘er away. That gets my vote for stupid 49er call of the year, but I digress. Anyway, there have been some bumps in the road this year but most are explainable. And Lucy, you DO have some s’plaining to do…. but I digress once again.

Unca – I think I read or heard somewhere that the Giants control their wildcard destiny. I think the Giants will beat the Ravens, but the Giants secondary is Charles Barkely turrrrible. I think that’s why Harbaugh and Roman wanted Kaep in the game more during the Giants’ game this year – to expose the New York secondary. And I don’t need to remind anyone on this blog that the Giants won their first Coughlin Super Bowl from the wildcard spot, and who picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl last year besides yours truly (then Barley piled on, copying my greatness). The Giants are one of those sneaky teams. They do just enough to get in. Once they’re in they let it all hangout. But….. that said, their secondary could keep them from getting into the playoffs. We’ll see.

They don’t They win out, they could still be stuck behind Minn, Chi, and Dallas. The only way the Giants get in is if they run the table and the rest of the 8-6 teams go 1-1 (or 1-1, while the rest all lose). the Giants lose the tiebreaker to Dallas, Chi, and Minn so they need to pass all of them. Not very likely.

The Giants are 9th as of now. They’d need to jump 3 teams to get that last playoff spot.

5. Sea has the Niners and StL. (9-5 now, 10-6 when done)
      6. Min may be fucked. @ Hou and GB on their sched. (8-6; 8-8)
      7. Chi has @ AZ and @ Det. Both eminently winnable. (8-6; 10-6)
      8. Dal has NO and @ Wash. (8-6; 9-7)
      9. Giants @ Balt, and Philly. (8-6; 9-7)

Chi has the easiest time of it; Minn the hardest. The Giants fall in the middle. If this is how it ends up, Chi and Sea get the WC spots. Even if the Giants win out, they would likely still fall behind Chicago. Unless they royally blow this shot.

The good news for the Giants is Minn easily loses both those games. Chi is the ? They can beat good teams and lose to shit teams.

• Spitblood says:

It’d be great if the Giants didn’t make the playoffs. The Patriots make the Super Bowl ever other year because the AFC playoffs are cake. Take the Giants and the Packers out of the playoffs and the 49ers make the Super Bowl easy – just like the Patriots in the AFC. The only team I see putting up a fight against the Patriots would be the Broncos, and like Peyton keeps saying, “[They’re] still a young team.” That’s another reason why Brady can’t touch Montana’s jock – The Patriots’ competition in their division and conference isn’t tough – especially in the last five years. Montana went up against the Giants, Bears, Redskins and Vikings. The Saints under Mora were better than anything the Dolphins, Bills and Jets have thrown together, ever. The Falcons and Rams? Billy White Shoes Johnson? Chrissy Everett? I guess, maybe, Montana had it just as easy in the division, but the NFC conference was much better than the AFC butter Brady has been able to cut through the last five years. I guess it’s hard to compare the two (Montana and Brady) except for Montana’s perfect 4-0. In the immortal words of Larry Holmes – “Brady couldn’t hold Montana’s jock.” (I think that’s what Larry said).

20. Chico says:

This girl is adorable!

Did what to a pig, Chuck.
    I was in a pig called the Kingdome once.

And I actually bought tickets and drove up to that garbage dump.

The way to quiet that crowd is to come out and attack. We can take them out of the game just like we can take the Seahogs. This very well could be the toughest game of the year for us. It is personal. We don’t know what is being said in the locker rooms but my guess is that this one means a little more than the rest did.

• snarkk says:

Yeah, I expect this one to be a dogfight.
      Seattle is tough, and they play chippy and mean. There may be a brawl, or at least some extracurriculars…

I want the Niners to win the next two, because if they do, I think they might host the NFC title game again. I’m not convinced Atlanta will win their first PO game. If they lose, I want the Niners to be in position to host the title game again, and this time no muffed punts…

What’s worse?
    Watching that meaningless December Titans v. Jets snoozefest, or a Royals vs. Indians tilt in August? I’ll go with last night as the suckier choice, essentially because I’m more of a baseball guy. But, that football last night was baaaaad. I’d easily rather watch a De LaSalle game…

Poor Mark Sanchize. Tenn tried to hand him the game about 12 times, but he wouldn’t accept it.

2 turnovers in the last minute? And they had a shot at the playoffs.

I hope Goodie Goodell was watching. Because expanding the playoffs guarantees dogshit teams like the Jets get into the playoffs.

Double fuuuuck that.

Winder, that’s YOU I’m playing in the Champ Game???
    Good luck my man.
    I posting this on Skeebs blog because you have earned bragging rights.

• Winder says:

Yeah that’s me RT, I haven’t won one of these things yet in either league. I’m not holding my breath on this one either. I was in this position one other time and my team took a nosedive. O’well lots of fun. And, Thanks for running the show again Dennis. Your a good man and I know you hate Dallas just as much as I do.

Friend of mine went to school in Oregon, and went to a boat show in the Kingdome years ago. They filled the damn thing up with water and drove boats inside the fucking place. k’dome was a dump, but how fun would that be? Waterskiing inside a dome? Cooool.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Well, they almost did the same thing in ‘Nawlins during Katrina.

Of course, down there you had gators in the water. A little extra degree of difficulty for your skiing.

Yeah, had a friend that used to work at Marine World in the ski shows when it was still in Belmont, He once skied behind a cruise ship in the bay , , ,

There has been a discussion or two here about the wisdom and the probabilities of ‘going for it’ on fourth down.

I’ve always believed that HCs are risk averse by the nature of their jobs and especially on this point. I bring this up now because of Belichick’s penchant for ‘going for it’ as he did in Sunday night’s game, and getting absolutely roasted in the press when it fails.

It’s not the play call or the execution of it that fails, it’s the fact that he didn’t punt that draws the ridicule. So what bearing do all the stats in the world have on the decision if when it fails they can’t be pointed to as a perfectly rational reason for the choice?

No the best decision for the coach is to punt near the end of the game regardless. That way if the team goes on to lose, well, they had a chance and just didn’t capitalize. I maintain there are very few HCs in the league that can withstand attacks in the press like that without a considerable hit to their standing with their GMs/owners.

• Flavor says:

it’s a similar deal with the fake punt by JH. Everyone is like, “brilliant!” but if that doesn’t work how different would it have been from the pitch-ball fiasco? Everyone says Harbaugh is conservative with his play calling and it true–not because he tries to balance the run and the pass when so many other teams don’t do that—that’s just him being smart and recognizing he has a team that can run the ball.
      He gets too conservative WHEN he calls a run and HOW he calls a run— *when* he calls it seems to be consistently known by the defense. A lot of that has to do with the formation AND the fact that Kap isn’t running nearly as much as he could or shouid–so the D knows it’s gonna be Gore.
      Additionally, the run formations are WAY too tight to succeed consistently at the NFL level. There simply isn’t enough room for those big guys to create by trying to move those *other* big guys the necessary distance to make a hole………
      He’s done the tight formation shit since Stanford and Shaw is doing it *better* than Harbaugh did (in terms of frequency). I’ve come to accept that they accept the 1-2 yard (clouds of dust) because they do actually get a kickback there with time coming off the clock and they are waiting around for the big break run that they get every 12-15 run plays (in college it’s probably more like 8-10 run plays).

NE had 2:45 left, 2 TOs and the 2 min warning. The NE defense had stopped the Niners most of the 2nd half. It was a bad call.

• phil fan says:

“Seriously, how many fans pushing the Chip Kelly mentality thought Belichick made a good call there??”

Good question NF. I wonder if the “fan/media” reactions are accounted for in Kelly’s scheme. I doubt it. I’d like to hear Grumpy’s take on this… Hello Grumpy!

• Grumpy Guy says:

I’m not sure what the numbers would say here. The Total Football system people have statistics generated for almost every situation. I DO agree that a coach who goes for it is going to get roasted by the media. Only a guy like Belichek who basically hates the media and does not give a shit what they think would try it. Or a guy like Harbaugh, though his basic conservatism would make it unlikely he takes that kind of chance too often.

In this particular case, with the down and distance, against our defense, with our pass rush finally showing signs of life late in the game, I really thought that they would punt and play for the three-and-out and bad clock management by JH. You know Harbs is not going to get tricky on a series near midfield at that point in the game. You would just need to stop three running plays, get the punt back and try to drive with a minute and no TOs. Without a 49er FG, it’s still a one score game, and you still have Brady throwing the ball.

He must have given their chances of making it rather high, it’s just a sign of faith in their offense. It didn’t work. At least he is willing to take the heat.

I’d say if I was inside the other team’s 35, I’d go for anything under 4th and 5.

Was it John Fox that did it last year in a tie game late in the 4th quarter? He basically gave the game away by going for the 1st down on his own 26 with little time left . . .

Hey Twin – Kaep is NFC Offensive Player of the week in his fifth start. It took Alex like ten light years to get there. I seem to remember Alex being NFC offensive player of the week for the first time last year. Now all we have to do is keep Kaep healthy and Alex will never see the field again as a 49er. Why hasn’t Harbaugh designed plays for Alex like he did for Kaep when Alex was starting? I wonder….. Alex will go to the Chiefs or Jets. Montana went to the Chiefs. I’m sure there’s a parallel somewhere implying Alex is Montana-like. That oughta make you feel better, Twin, after this devastating defeat.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

This coming from the guy who proclaimed Jake Locker the next Steve Young and a lock on the Hall of Fame. Oh look Jake Locker is the 28th ranked quarterback, Blaine Gabbert is rated higher.
      How’s Matt Flynn doing?

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

Wasn’t A Smith named NFC player of the week right before his benching? I don’t get the need to constantly tear down Smith. Dude got fucked over by JH and that sucks. The team is winning and on the way to the playoffs. Tough being happy I guess.

• NoFear49er says:

It only seems like a need to tear down Alex Smith, dirtnrocksnomo. For the past seven years or so one had hot coals heaped on his head for every comment not in glowing support of Smith. It’s the mountains of vitriol folks that weren’t in the bag for Smith had to endure, by some more than others certainly, that some may have a bit of trouble easily dismissing and now that they feel their POV’s been vindicated they want to make that point.

I’ve always thought Alex has been one of the, if not the, things holding us back. For myself, I’m happy as hell we’re winning and happy as hell to see Alex on the sidelines.

I don’t think he got ‘fucked over’ by Harbaugh though because I don’t think he was hired as a “starter for life.” The switch happened after Kaep got his chance and took advantage of it. I’d think the coaches were wondering how Kaep’s first couple of starts would go, like any QB trying to transition to the pro game, and he shined instead of stunk so he kept the job. It makes sense. It wouldn’t have been easier on Alex to have coach say “we’re going with Kaep on Sunday” if we wasn’t hurt first anyway.

It’s a lot like politics.

Well, you do exactly the same thing from the other side, NoFear. Both you guys pretend that it’s only the other guy flinging shit around. Please.

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

I’m not saying he was QB for life and Smith shoulda known better after JH gave him the Manning bitch slap over the summer. I think JH planned to go to Kaeprnick this year if Smith was injured and next year for sure. That said, Smith was playing at a high level and I still think JH fucked him over. Especially the way he handled it in the media. You don’t. That’s cool. It’s a difference of opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Kaep. I recently moved form Reno to CA and followed his career at UNR. I worked with a couple of guys that played with him and they rave about his skills and leadership. I just don’t get the need to shit all over Smith at every turn. Once a real coach and system were brought in he showed he’s a player and legit QB. People can say he owes JH all they want but Smith doesn’t owe shit to JH especially after the knife in the back this year. Smith was on the field executing. JH has done what a good coach should do. Get the whole team coached up and playing well. The previous coaches haven’t sniffed a head coaching gig since they left. Not because of Smith but because they sucked as head coaches which was reflected in the 49ers shitty play when they were running the show. Anyway, like others I am tired of the topic.

• NoFear49er says:

It is funny how people tired of the topic are never too tired to get the last word.

• dirtnrocksnomo says:

You addressed my post and I responded. It’s how blogs work

35. barleyfreak says:

Smith one the POTW award THIS year. Can anyone remember one team with two QB’s BOTH being named Offensive Player of the Week — in the same season? Probably has never happened. Probably won’t again.

36. barleyfreak says:

Won, not “one”

aargh.

Spit’s time is limited if this is the course he takes.

You wanted McNabb for 3 years, Spit. I wouldn’t go casting aspersions around anything.

I’m so fricking tired of the Smith debate, but I have yet another Smith/Kappy thread on deck. Don;t know if I have the heart to pull the trigger.

• barleyfreak says:

Tired of the debate? What if…Kaep leads us well into the playoffs, maybe even the SB, then goes down with an injury while we’re down and Smith leads us to a come from behind SB win. Bwa ha ha ha ha!! Then the fans start all over again. It’s like Ground Hog day, kinda sorta, in that no matter what happens, Smith (and endless debating) never goes away.

Nightmarish, I know (except winning the SB part).

Personally, I think it’s time to put the debate to bed. It’s time to look towards the future and embrace Colin Kaepernick as our starter. If Kaep keeps beating teams like the Patriots, nobody can second guess Harbaugh. Let’s talk playoffs instead. That’s my vote. Playoffs? Playoffs?