Wild and Woolly Weekend

Beyond our own big roadie coming up, there are a bunch of interesting and important games this weekend for the Forty Niners. The big ones in our realm are Green Bay at Chicago and Seattle at Buffalo. Green Bay is half a game behind us for the 2 seed in the NFL, and Chicago is 1.5 back, It would be great to see Chicago beat GB but Cutler usually reserves his shittiest games for GB, and Brandon Marshall is usually nullified by their defense. Green Bay is on fire, and the Bears appear to be a mere blip in their quest to garner the #2 seeding.

Even more compelling is the Seattle Buffalo game. Seattle is 1.5 back in the NFC West chase, but can pass the Niners fairly easily should the Niners falter. Their game in Buffalo (5-8) shouldn’t be near as tough as the NE game for SF is, but Seattle doesn’t travel too well. Should the Niners lose and Seattle win, the game next week will be for the NFC West crown, and would guarantee the Niners play a game on wildcard weekend.

With the Falcons playing the Giants, the Niners could concievably get to .5 of the #1 seed with a win over NE and a Falcons loss. Atl is coming off a galling loss to Carolina, and still have Deetoit on the road and TB at home. Their season could go in any number of directions. They can’t lose their division title, but they could easily slip to the WC round. Same with the Giants. They are Jeckyll and Hyding themselves through another up-and-down season. They hope now is the time they turn it on, though they did lose to RG III and the Skins a couple weeks ago. The Skins and the Boys are both a game back, Washington has Cleveland on the road, and the Boys have Pittsburgh coming to their house.

And, shit, the Minnesota St Louis game could be big. The Rams have crept up to 6-6-1 in the standings and have an outside shot of getting into the WC mix. As do the Vikings. The loser of this game is toast. In the AFC we have the AFC North leading Ravens vs the AFC West leading Denver Mannings. Denver is trying to sneaks its way past NE to the #2 seed, but we’ll see. Lots of Denver fans are becoming Niner fans this weekend. No matter how galling that is for them.

Great weekend for football. Lots of big games. Leading up to the Monday night thriller of The Jets vs the Titanzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . . .

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

28 Responses to Wild and Woolly Weekend

I’m not a Bronco fan. I’m a Peyton Manning fan. The guy is unflippinbelieveable.
    I want to see the Niners-Broncs in New Orleans.
    Niiners 27-16.

2. Consolidating the scoring perdictions, Niners vs Patriots early this week:

Irish Kevin: 35- 13 Patriots. I don’t see Harbaugh opening up the offense to keep pace, he will stick with what he thinks is good football, run, run, and run somemore. I am
    putting my score out there right now. Niners 13 – Pats 35.

Grumpy Guy: 38-31 Patriots. Early prediction: the Pats beat us in New England. 38-31ish. Setting up our showdown with Pete the Cheat and the Temple of Doom, for the division title.

Phil: 34-31 Patriots. It gives me NO pleasure to say we are not gonna get ‘er done my friends. Prove me wrong, I’ll be great with that. IF we play milque-toast against Billy-cheat we are fucked. IF the D coord Fangio waits fer what is to come. IF we graciously allow Tom B to skin us alive–he will. Sack the mofo!

twinfan: 27-24 Niners. Brady checks off on almost every play so moving people
    around, showing blitz and dropping back, anytthing to not tip what the defense will be, can be effective,..NE is pretty tough against the run but they give up a bunch in
    the air-seems a good day to air out a few. IMO. 27-24 Niners.

unca_chuck: 34-24 Niners. I think we can win it. For all the talk of NE’s defense, I
    think we light them up. 34-24.

barleyfreak: 23-17, Patriots. There’s a lot to be worried about going into Sunday night. This will be the biggest test for our D this year. They’re firing offensively on all cylinders. Based on how we’ve played (or not played) against the slot receiver, they better have an answer for Wesley or it is going to be a frustrating night. I have to think that despite their improvement in the run game, we have to dare them to run and try to mess with Brady from the get go. Al-Don has shown a proclivity to be a freak in prime time. If he brings the multiple sack Smith version, then it could go well. No pressure on Brady and it’s lights out. I have trouble seeing our offense in any way matching in a shoot out. Keep Brady on his back, or off the field. I think the home field is going to mete some crucial plays for them and I think we fall, not in a shootout, but a let down on D at the end. 23-17, Patriots.

Alleykat: 24-20 Niners in a rockin-sockem battle.Want to see Dashon Goldson’s dreadlocks flying as he lays the wood on their recievers.Pats have won 20 straight games at home in December,they won’t get their Blackjack 21st.Niners will be Fucking “FIRED UP” for this game.They get up for the Huge games,like taking down Double-Check Rogers on the road in Green Bay 1st week!!

winder: 16-13 Niners… penalties will be something we have to be careful of. I don’t know whether it’s a soft defense we’ve had since the Ram game or opposing offenses have figured us out, the time of possesion in our games say that we aren’t really stopping anything. We do buckle down in the Red Zone, but against a team like NE we will have to really change up what we have done recently. I have seen quite a few missed tackles coming from us lately. But you are right about the motivation, no doubt we will show up. I think we win this one. 16-13 niners

Chico: 24-24 tie at the end of regulation, Niners win it 27-24 in OT. As mentioned above, get to Brady and keep him off the field or we’re in trouble. That’s on Fangio. I don’t think we can, or should get into a shootout. We just don’t have that kind of dynamic offense that they run, and Brady is, well, Brady. Run the ball, and don’t abandon it like we have done a few times this year. We’ve proven that we can play against the pass heavy offenses but it will be tough on the road and in that weather. I’m sure they’re looking at the film from the Saints and Packers game. 24-24 tie at the end of regulation, Niners win it 27-24 in OT

Flavor: 23-21 Niners. This game comes down to our pass rush. If we can get to Brady he can be had. And I’m not talking blitzing him all the time, he reads that shit like a bedtime novel to his kids. If The Smith’s have a big game we win, if not we will lose badly. But I’m inclined to think we get to him and win this one 23-21. Throw a few long drives in there. As Chuck said above, even if it ends in a FG, if you keep Brady off the field for 8+ minutes that’s a GOOD thing……

NoFear: 27-24 Niners. Simple truth of football, our big guys have to beat their big guys. I have little doubt that we can do it, but I’m not quite as certain that we will. I have more worries about our O-line, especially Boone and Davis, than our D-line guys. If we “show up” and are up for the big game like a Super Bowl caliber team should be, I think we win 27-24.

• phil fan says:

12th man sez: 30-27 Niners. These are the games the Niners need to win to be contenders not pretenders. Niners 30 Pats 27. You mad bro?

(Seattle/Sherman to Brady after the win in NE)

snarkk: 34-31 Niners. I haven’t heard if Manningham is playing. We could use him. I said weeks ago that this would be a loss, but I also figured Niners would win in St. Louis, which they didn’t. So, I’ll switch course and go with Niners over Mr. Bundchen, 34-31. I hope they hit, hit and hit that little shit Welker off the line, and hold him up. They should have learned against Amendola that first game. Not again. And, I think Gronk is going to be inactive, that helps if true…

We have 14 perdictions (ie, predictions) this week a new blog record! Del Mar gets off his ass we’re gonna have 15…Del Mar, oh Del Mar my man, where you
      be?

3. Roman learned from Ault, Kaepernick

“Last week, the 49ers featured a new wrinkle with a “full-house pistol,” in which there were a combination of three backs and tight ends along with Kaepernick to create a completely balanced offensive approach. Coach Jim Harbaugh said it was a plan the club used to “balance off Miami’s defense.”

This is where the rubber hits the road, everything we’ve done and everything we’ve planned comes down to this game. We can’t count on Seattle doing anything. To me this game is about preparation and coaching and even though we are traveling we catch NE coming off a Monday night game, that evens up the playing field somewhat. The move to replace Alex is one of Harbaugh’s defining actions as a coach, we shall see if the battle plan and Cappy are up to the challenge. I think this will be a brutal game and low scoring, all the Niners have to step up.

Lets all say a little prayer for the families who lost their young kids today. awful, just awful,

As a father of 3, shit like this makes me physically ill.

The wish is that these stupid glory hounds would just start with themselves instead of taking so many with them. Like sports broadcasts not showing the idiots jumping onto the field and running around, you’d hope that they would forego covering this kind of shit within an inch of its life out of respect for the grieving.

This clown’s face will be plastered all over the world now. He wins.

Gronk practiced today . . . Manningham is out. AJ is getting the reps.

Kind of good new that AJ (who worked with Kappy a lot on the scout team) and LMJ, and Kappy are all going to be on the field at the same time. The hope is these speed burners can get some plays for themselves that jazz up this offense.

I think RTF’s “Taps” video killed the blog. I wish I yielded that kind of power by just posting a video. I’d be whacking people left and right. I don’t know how could it’s going to be in Foxborough tomorrow, but I’m freezing my ass off in Pinole today. Coldest day in my little town for as long as I can remember. Where’s my eggnog?

One last song for the childen. Both the deceased and the ones who are still living, who need the most help.
    I posted this on Skeebs blog first.
    The Ray Charles version will take your girl’s panties off.

These are the games the Niners need to win to be contenders not pretenders.
    Niners 30 Pats 27. You mad bro?

I’m fucking mad right now, 12th, but not at you.

It was what Richard Sherman said to Tom Brady after the Squawks beat the Pats earlier this year RT,
    “you mad bro?”

Yeah, just getting it out of systen. I’m a man, you know.
    I feel for the children who survived and their families.

All I can do is help here in New Mexico. And stand ready.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Rufus, but Kirk Cousins will start for the ‘Skins tomorrow. It was announced within the hour. I like the Mich. St. kid. Maybe you should give him a start.

15. twinfan1 says:

Packers/Bears, Broncos/Ravens, Niners/Pats
    That’s a helluva day of football.

New thread is up . . . . . . . .