Goodie Goodell and the Ruination of the NFL

Roger Goodell, fresh off his bounty-gate spanking from former commish Pete Tagliabue, addressed the world in his ‘special meeting’ in Dallas last night. His main goal appears to be turning the NFL playoff system into one that rivals hockey. Or the NBA. In other words, half the teams should be able to join the playoff fun.

Why? To me, this is merely a deflection from the 18 game schedule the owners want to greedily shove down the throats of the players. If they can’t get an 18 game schedule, lets add 4 more teams to the playoffs. Regardless of the fact that it takes away all incentive to be among the top 2 teams and get the bye week. That way, the owners get the bullshit money for the preseason games AND an extra playoff game or 2, where seat prices go up, as well as parking and concessions, hats, jerseys, etc etc etc.

In other words, for all his lip service about player safety, it’s all about the dead presidents.  GG is backing off the 18 game schedule, but that’s a easy thing to back away from. The players and the union is dead-set against turning 2 preseason games into real ones. They stuck to that adamantly in the negotiations last year. Because of the wear and tear of the season. Players life expectancy would shorten even further given 2 extra games a season. The owners didn’t really give a shit, mainly because the teams get theirs for those games anyway. The season ticket holders pay full freight on those seats (and parking) even if they don’t go. The players, the union, and fans hate those 2 games, but instead of doing away with them, Goodell’s answer to that is to expand the playoffs.

In a perfect world, the NFL would eliminate 2 preseason games and leave the playoffs alone. Instead we get the exact opposite. Expand the playoffs and leave the 2 worthless games on the schedule.

Goodell also said there was no evidence that the players were suffering from all these Thursday night games. Granted, there’s little evidence to glean from, but that didn’t stop Goodie Goodell from saying it. Sure, a lot of players that are dinged up likely miss the Thursday game that they would have otherwise made had it happened on Sunday, but that apparently is balanced out by the scads of money generated by the captive audience phenomenon.

How much do you want to bet we’ll see Friday night games in the near future?

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

30 Responses to Goodie Goodell and the Ruination of the NFL

Roger Goodell is atop my Grinch Christmas List. His house would be the first one Frank (dressed up like a reindeer) and I sabotage on Christmas Eve.

You’re a bad one, Mr. Roger.
    You really are inept.
    You’re as likable as a Dodger.
    You make rulings like you haven’t slept.
    Mr. Roger.

2. twinfan1 says:

Look, it may or may not be in my lifetime, by the NFL is headed international, all games pay-for-view, maybe even neutral sites. This is already a TV game, soon it will be nearly a studio game. Football is all about money,and not the kind of money us schmucks have- it’s those 2 percent folks. All we do spike likker sales and the make the books a kazilliion bucks.
    Goodell has exactly ZERO resume- he worked as a batender in his his college years, has a degree in economics, and worked for the NFL since graduation The job as NFL commish has become a much bigger job than a man with Goodell’s small stature can handle. Franky, a man or woman from the world of politics with a broader background is needed as the NFL commisioner. She’s been mentioned before- Condi Rice would be an ideal choice. If that rankles one’s manly man genes, they could nane Condi the Vice Commisioner and prop up Jesse Ventura to front her.

• rtfirefly says:

Now that would be funny. I loved Jesse’s outspoken, braggart style as Governor. But he was never a SEAL. I had the distinct pleasure to be able to talk several times to a retired SEAL from ‘Nam some years back. That man never even mentioned his service except when I pressed him.
      Jesse was UDT who chose not to go to ‘Nam.
      But he’s damned smart and I bet he’d make a good Commish.

• Irish Kevin says:

I would have voted for her for President if she had run. Now this is not a racist comment, or maybe it is, but IMO, the country wanted a Black Male president before either a White/Asian/Hispanic/ Black female anything for president

• Chico says:

I think we’re going to end up with a white female president next time around.

• Irish Kevin says:

we are going to have another Clinton in the oval office??

• Chico says:

I’m no betting man, but if I were, I’d put all my cash on Hillary. I think it’s something like 60% of Americans want her to be president. I’m not being political, just looking at her numbers and her favorability ratings.

• Winder says:

The way it looks is that the UK will get one first, I just hope they get one before LA does. Money talks and Bullshit walks…truth. There really is power in #’s though

I have little doubt our game plan will take into account all the obvious strategies for containing the Pats’ offense and besting its defense. The problem with game plans, like battle plans, they have a way of going to shit when the first shot is fired, or pass is thrown.

Simple truth of football, our big guys have to beat their big guys. I have little doubt that we can do it, but I’m not quite as certain that we will. I have more worries about our O-line, especially Boone and Davis, than our D-line guys.

If we “show up” and are up for the big game like a Super Bowl caliber team should be, I think we win 27-24.

As for Jim Janos, well, nevermind. I think Phil might have spotted him cruising the Spratleys forty-some years ago though.

I checked the playoff standings if the NFL had a 16 team playoff format right now.
    Bengals #7.
    Redskins #7.
    But I smell a really rotten rat. That’s what cats are for.
    Jets #8.
    And really dead year old fish.
    Cowboys #8.

Yeah, no shit. It would be a joke, RTF.

As far as the Pats go. I wish I had a sense of what these guys will do on both sides of the line myself. They destroyed GBs line, which is supposedly good. Deetroit’s as well. The Rams were supposed to be fair to poor but we didn’t do near enough damage.

Same with the offense. Chicago’s D was supposedly top notch and we made mince-meat out of it. Miami and the Rams? Shit. We couldn’t score shit on them for long stretches of time. The good news is the Niners seem to play well (4-0) on prime time.

Who knows? But this is crunch time. Make or break time. Seattle isn’t a good road team, but they did just beat Chi-town in their town. Buffalo? Well, we’ll see.

I’m not really sweatin’ the extra teams in the playoffs as long as the division winners are still afforded the luxuries that come along with that attained goal. Let the new bubble teams in and they can bash it out while the better teams sit at home and get healthy.
    It’s the same thing going on in baseball right now with the 1 game WC game between the 2 wild cards. I love that………..

Chuck, I just gave one of my older brothers your link and Skeebs’ link.
    He’s a brilliant historian and a schoolteacher now.
    We were both were born and bred to be Niner fans.
    He’s a better writer than I am; I hope you won’t object if he posts. I don’t think he’s followed Niner football for awhile. But he will.

And Andy Reid, you can kiss your ass goodbye.

• NoFear49er says:

Don’t worry about Andy Reid, Rufus. He’ll have three offers the minute he’s able to entertain them.

Somebody remind me why Andy Reid had to fire his DC and how the Eagles are better off for it now? They used to run one of the most sophisticated D’s in the league. Pretty sorry looking effort so far tonight.

Andre Smith got beat for that strip fumble. With a little lip reading you can see the Cowboys’ DC wishing him and his team a good game.

Gawd, the Iggles are terrible.

12. barleyfreak says:

For the record, I am against, against, AGAINST expanded playoffs. I’m against the 18 game season too, but given a choice between the two, I’d take that over the expanded playoffs. I love football. Favorite sport. But I don’t want to sniff 8-8 or 7-9 teams in the playoffs. Fuck that. Every once in a while a 10-6 team misses out (we did). Cry me a river. It is not the norm.

I’m with ya Chuck. Goodell is a wanker. Safety first! Bull-fucking-shit.

Del Mar , Man, and snarkk to go. Will post final edition before game time.

Meantime (with an assist from Jim Janos -Jesse Ventura)- we have a spread of the Niners losing by 22 per Irish 35-13 to Chuck’s 10 point win 34-24. Unless RT exercises his option of calling 37-26 at the last minute which is 11 on the spread. (Confession: maybe Del or Flav can help me as I have No Idea if that’s -22 or +22 fer the Niners to lose
    per Irish. Hell I don’t even know if Del Mar won the FF bet aginst Chuck’s Army w/ me + da points.

Nope. That was another losing proposition given out to the FF betting public by yours truly. You were getting 18 pts. (+ 18) and Chuck crushed ya by 39. He covered. That 22 spread by Irish is neither a + or – really. That’s just a margin of victory prediction. That has nothing to do with the actual Vegas line which now stands at NE – 5 1/2 O/U 46 1/2. All the money has sided with the Patriots. Vegas will be really, really happy if the Niners win and/or cover, and really, really pissed off if New England treats us like a hairy pussy and shaves our ass at Gillette Stadium.

Harbaugh had better be ready on offense as well as Defense, this is from the Chron:

In a 31-21 win at Denver in October, the Patriots ran a whopping 89 plays, collected a franchise-record 35 first downs and rarely said “Ready, break”: On their five scoring drives, they operated without a huddle on 41 of 59 plays.

New thread is up …………………