A game?!? Is there really a game coming up?

Christ, this feels like March. The Niners haven’t played a game in seemingly 2 months, and and were apparently off for a month before that lone Arizona game. But, after long last and much anxiety, we are back to playing football. The St. Louis Rams come to town, not to conquer, but to crumble. After a promising 3-2 start, including division wins ver Sea and AZ, the Rams have lost 3 in a row. Sure, GB and NE were likely pegged as losses, but Miami? Ouch. That one had to sting.

Sure, it’s early in the tenure of Jeff Fisher, but the Rams don’t seem to be doing anything particularly well. 28th in points scored and 20th in points allowed. Sam Bradford has been derailed on his way to elite status among the crop of young QBs in the league.  He has been grinding through the Alex Smith school of new coaching staffs and offenses and players on a yearly basis kind of thing. After his rookie year of doing well (3500 yards, 18 TDs, 15 picks, and a near-miss at the playoffs at 7-9), he struggled through an injury-plagued season last year (1700 yards, 6 TDs, 6 picks). This year? Well, pretty much the same numbers he put up last year in 10 games. 1800 yards, 8 TDs, 7 picks. Erstwhile workhorse RB Steven Jackson has finally had it with the organization, and is on his way out after carrying the team for years and being the only bright spot for 6 seasons.  WR Danny Amendola is probable for the game, so they may get one of their weapons back, but Bradford has been sacked 23 times in 8 games, so his protection isn’t all that.

The Niners? Well, we saw how they did after their mini-break. They dismantled AZ pretty easily. I foresee much the same this weekend. Gone were the drive-killing Cappy Capperson plays. The Niners ran at will, and thus were able to throw all night off play-action, and chew up big chunks of yards. AZ has a terrible line, and Red Skelton was pressured all night. Again, I see the same thing happening this weekend.

31-10, Niners.

121 Responses to A game?!? Is there really a game coming up?

Also, much is being made of this year’s draft class not getting on the field after nearly all of last year’s draft class started or at least played a big part in the success of last season.

So, this year is a bust? Hardly. Yeah, I’d rather see AJ at WR than Ted Ginn, but I certainly get that Ginn has more experience. Same with LaMichael James. I’d love to see him get the ball out in the flat and burn for yards, but he’s behind Gore, Hunter, and Jacobs (and Dixon for that matter). The others are buried onm the depth chart (Looney, Robsinson), hurt (Fleming), or released (Slowey, Johnson).

2. twinfan1 says:

3. twinfan1 says:

On the short yardage discussion-
    Now I see that after some early failure, the Niners have actually done much better:
    Short-yardage run conversions: Gore (4-8, TD); Kendall Hunter (2-2); Anthony Dixon (1-1, TD); Bruce Miller (1-1); Alex Jones(1-1).

Alex Jones? Ahhh.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . .

5. twinfan1 says:

Dierkes seems to think Wllson will be non-tendered and I can see that. Interesting are the figures he thinks Casilla and Romo will get: 5.4 for Casilla, 3.6 for Romo. They make sense-Casilla wil be in his 7th full year, hence the higher figure.
    If Wilson is healthy yet leaves and they don’t retain Affeldt, I agree with Dierkes that they’ll probably need to add. Bochy juggled well, but the 7th inning guy was Mota after he was activated and they need to do better than that. Kontos *could* be the guy but he needs some kind of off speed pitch. Long relief was very poor last year as well. Again, Bochy somehow made it work but they need better there as well.
    IMO.

A horse named, Vee ($9.80), just won the second race at Hollywood. I wonder what that crazy mofo has been up to? Probably saying some tired and trite phrase like, “Did we sign Peyton Manning yet?”

“The 49ers have called four pass plays on third-and-short this season and converted none. The tally: two sacks, an incompletion and a one-yard completion on 3rd-and-2.”

• twinfan1 says:

Yes, I posted that. Unlike you and your devotees, I post honestly good and bad…

• NoFear49er says:

No, posting once or twice that Alex has some rough spots in his game doesn’t make you the epitome of truth.

Does honesty = invective in your mind? Preemptive intimidation to discourage any views at odds with yours. Discouraging any argument makes you seem right? Good for you. I crown you king of the pejorative post.

How different is that than the guy you insisted be banned?

If you didn’t notice, NoFear, I deleted everyone.

Who I ban is my business. And it is still only one person who has been.

• twinfan1 says:

Give it up, NF. Nolan isn’t coming back.

• twinfan1 says:

And Fear- try to keep on point, as Chuck says. No one is being attacked except in your imagination. And no one has ever been discouraged from offering their viewpoint. If so,it sure as fuck hasn’t worked.

Chuck, just because you’re favored by 35 pts. in our fantasy matchup this week don’t think you’re going to have a cakewalk in winning your 9th straight win. How the hell have you won eight straight? With autopicks like that, you’ll never attend a live draft.

Hey, I’ve made a few good moves over the course of the season.

I’m having a hard time trying to think of a reason to pick the Rams this week. Maybe Warner and Faulk could come out of retirement for just one more game…

Place yer bets men. Dragged to the front = Scoring Challenged? Hard to score when ya never play a game. Ok blew the Romney call but lets try Niners vs Rams:

Chuck: 31-10 Niners. Well, we saw how they did after their mini-break. They dismantled AZ pretty easily. I foresee much the same this weekend. Gone were the drive-killing Cappy Capperson plays. The Niners ran at will, and thus were able to throw all night off play-action, and chew up big chunks of yards. AZ has a terrible line, and Red Skelton was pressured all night. Again, I see the same thing happening this weekend.

Phil: 27-7 Niners. Careful I might make a call like 27-7 Niners vs the Rams. Yeah the focus on Alex I don’t go there…

Grumpy Guy: 31-3 Niners. Yeah, we should beat the Lambs pretty comfortably. Their defense is not *that bad* statistically – but this is a case where i think stats are biased. How many yards and points does it take to beat a team with a lousy offense? Enough to get a comfortable lead, and then you run out the clock. I think we get 240 yards passing, 210 rushing, and win 31-3.

Twinfan1: 31-10 Niners. Rams *should* be a relatively easy win but we all know how that is. As with the other teams in the division, we’re better on both sides of the ball. I’ll go with the “easy”- 31-10 Niners.

Chuck and Twin are gonna have to arm-wrestle for top honors if we win 31-10

Well, my left arm is shot. I need surgery on it soon.

Dennis, the spread is now +40 for you . . .

• twinfan1 says:

Chuck can have it. I’ll say 34-10.

• philippinefan says:

12th man: 28-21 Niners. Well not that you bothered asking me Phil, and it hurt my feelings BTW, but here it is: Niners 28 Rams 21, lambs get fleeced.

• philippinefan says:

barleyfreak: 25-7, Niners. The Return of The Vernon, Big day for Davis — 2 TD’s
      Akers is 3 for 3, Justin Smith gets his 1st sack of the year. In the end zone.
      Rams only score once, but with their defense.

• philippinefan says:

NoFear49er: 32-17 49ers. I think the Rams getting Amendola back might be able to move the ball with Jackson being a threat on the ground we can’t ignore. I also think we should have been able to come up with some plays to get the ball to Vernon this week if that was the problem. My only worry is their pass rushing DEs. But I think we attack the Rams mostly on the ground since our o-line’s run blocking and Gore can’t be stopped. 3 TDs, 3 FGs and a safety just to make things interesting. 2 TDs and a FG for the Rams. 32-17 49ers.

Silver missed the North Dakota district 9 race! Slacker.

13. twinfan1 says:

For the record, I could give a rat’s ass how Manning does in Denver, it has zero relevance to how he would have done here. Best guess: we’d be 6-2.

15. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Just saw that Obama won the military vote by 7 points over Romney per Reuters.

Loved Bill O’Reilly and Karl Rove blaming the loss on the fact that more than half the country (read: minorities) wants ‘things’ and ‘stuff’ from the government. That white America is the only America they want to be a part of.

• Grumpy Guy says:

The racial prism that some people view this through is obviously an oversimplification of the issue, and stupid. But there is a problem is creating an escalating (multiracial / largely color-neutral) population of people who are consumers but not producers or stakeholders in our economy and society. Egalitarian democracy works best when the playing field is at least somewhat nominally level. The growth of a permanent underclass – and both left and right have made errors that contributed to that – is an undesirable outcome.

Meghan McCain is correct – the GOP needs to evolve. They need to include Latinos (most of whom don’t want handouts, but rather what we think of as the traditional American Dream) and other minorities. They need to stop looking for people to exclude, and start looking to find ways to bring more people into the party. The Democrats, OTOH, need to recognize that things have a cost, and our economy has limits. Everybody cannot have everything. Socialism doesn’t work because you run out of other peoples’ money to spend.

Until the two parties start to let the adults talk, I’ll continue voting my protest Libertarian line.

This is President Regan speaking…I’ve always said, “Well, well, if need be…I’ll take four more years of Obama over four more years of Alex. Now where’s Nancy and my Jelly Bellies? It’s time for another nap…”

Excuse me, that’s President Ronald Wilson *Reagan*
      I told you fuckers that I needed a goddamn nap. And before I take my nap, can I ask nice people one question? “Did we sign Peyton Manning yet?”

“I put that manning/Smith compario for the bet Dennis and Flav had going. I’ll gladly remove it if it offends.”

You’ve had that running since the get-go. And if I recall, I was on the wrong side of the ledger the first two or three weeks and taking a load of crap of about the bet. Now it “offends” because because I’m winning?

This is President Reagan here again telling you air traffic blog controllers to get back to showing the correct +/- totals or I’m going to fire your ass. Don’t fuck with me. I have a SAG card.

You know what’s really funny? I’ve interacted with Chuck on these blogs dating back to the SF Gate at least a good five, maybe six years now. And he still puts up and tolerates with all my horseshit. I do appreciate it. Chuck either has a heart of gold, or the mind of a gold brick. I’ll give him the benefit of doubt.

If I ever had the distinct pleasure after all these years of meeting Mr. Charlie Bay in person, you know the first thing I’d ask him…”Chuck, did we sign Peyton Manning yet?”

Reposted from above to NF:

NF I dragged this topic in here, not anyone else, when I said ruefully ” Blew the Romney call”. But I do agree with everything you’ve said politically. Still this is a Niners blog and for one I’m very glad you came over here NF.

Sooo…you got a call for us on the Slaughter of the Lambs?

Ditto for RT BTW; RT?, RT?

Nipper? Where the fuck is da nip?

Oh, NoFear. The military vote isn’t 90-10 split like Mississippi was. I’m sure it’s in the 53-47 range. It wouldn’t swing anything.

Grump, exactly. If Romney wanted to win, he shouldn’t have gone all tea-party about immigration. Bush got 45% of the Latino vote by pretty much ignoring immigration. He had his version of the dream act to get the vote. Romney sealed his doom by going hard-line in the primary re immigration. Latinos are religious and fiscally conservative for the most part, and they are sudden;y in play. Boner is crooning to them as we speak.

• NoFear49er says:

The split is not the point, is it? You get upset if illegals and dead guys can’t vote but the military not getting a vote is no big deal because you have a feel for the split?

I’ll give you one thing though, if the country can re-elect a guy for a second term in this economy after seeing four years of his feckless leadership and endless attempts at subverting the Constitution it seems more than a little out of place to worry about the vote of folks signing up to defend it.

He’s doing a helluva job on Sandy, thanks for the just-in-time photo op. Maybe some of that stimulus trillion could have helped bury that fragile power grid out there. But that wouldn’t have bought enough votes.

Wow, you don’t miss a trick on the Fox talking points, do you NoFear?

Voter fraud is a non-issue. 10 cases in 14 years? Please. It’s bullshit and you know it. I can find 6,000 wbesites now about how Obama bought the election through massive fraud. Right, and the liberal media won’t report it. And Obama’s shooting down planes filled with absentee ballots strictly earmarked as Romney’s. Blah bah blah. It’s all a massive conspiracy. Fodder for the tinfoil hat crowd. Criminy.

Obama did OK for his first term. Did he live up to all his promises in 2008? Well, he did on some, he didn’t on others. Pretty much the same as all the other presiidents. Did Nixon get us off foreign oil in 10 years as promised? No. Every pres since has said we’d get off the foreign oil tit. None have delivered. Obama coninued about 75% of Bush’s policies, but he’s a Socialist Muslim who will have us all speaking Arabic in 2 years. You really spooked by all this, NoFear? Really?

Photo op or not, Obama got off his ass and did something. Chris Christie was appreciative of it. What’s the spin on that? What did Bush do during Katrina? Read a book to children? Oh yeah, that was his other major fuck-up.

Yeah, if only those lost 14,000,000 votes for Romney could just be found . . . Must be fun living in perpetual denial of reality.

22. barleyfreak says:

OK — here it is, written in stone:

The Return of The Vernon,

Big day for Davis — 2 TD’s
    Akers is 3 for 3
    Justin Smith gets his 1st sack of the year. In the end zone.
    Rams only score once, but with their defense.

25-7, Niners.

Thanks Phil. I think the Rams getting Amendola back might be able to move the ball with Jackson being a threat on the ground we can’t ignore. I also think we should have been able to come up with some plays to get the ball to Vernon this week if that was the problem. My only worry is their pass rushing DEs. But I think we attack the Rams mostly on the ground since our o-line’s run blocking and Gore can’t be stopped. 3 TDs, 3 FGs and a safety just to make things interesting. 2 TDs and a FG for the Rams. 32-17 49ers.

Damn Barley, great minds….

25. barleyfreak says:

Random comment by ESPN’s John Clayton:

“3. Falling stars of NFC East: Either the Dallas Cowboys or the Philadelphia Eagles are going to leave Sunday’s game with a 3-6 record. That’s amazing when you think about it.”

No John actually, it isn’t. What is amazing is that so many pontificating pundits continue to think that the Jerry Jones Clusterfuck Cowboys will be any good, or that Michael Vick will lead the Smeagols to the playoffs.

26. twinfan1 says:

I’m tellin’ ya, those photo ops of politicians doing their jobs piss me off no end. Anyone have photos of the Romney volunteers buying canned food to give to other volunteers to give to Romney for the “relief effort”? The volunteers were asked to wait to drop the goods until Romney arrived to create his photo op of Mitt doing *his* job- politicizing a disaster. As the goods were handed to Mitt, a biographical video was aired. Even Romney strategist Stuart Stevens, a Republican ad man ( ad men were big in the Romney camp) agreed that the video blurred the line between storm relief & politicking. He said “”Some volunteer just pressed play, I guess.”
    The Red Cross was asking for donations and volunteers, BTW. Not evaporated milk.

• twinfan1 says:

The kicker: where did the supplies go? New York? New Jersey? Nope- they were sent to swing states Mitt thought he could win-Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania …

• NoFear49er says:

That’s a well-worn liberal tactic, Twinfan. Demonize the other guy to the point your idiot doesn’t look so stupid. How does any of what you wrote absolve BHO?

• NoFear49er says:

Well your hero just cashiered his CIA boss. Just after the election and just before the under-oath testimony on the fiasco that protected Muslims and sacrificed Americans. What a guy you’ve put in charge again.

A well-worn liberal tactic? Really? How about fiddling while New Orleans drowned?

Go on thinking Obama’s born in Kenya, and is a Socialist, and is trying to turn the US into a 3rd world country. Don’t forget your tinfoil hat.

Oh Goodie! Another consipracy!

Do tell, NoFear! It wasn’t Patraeus swinging his dick around? Obama fucking appointed him CIA director. What’s the nefarious plot behind this?

29. twinfan1 says:

Well, you would call it demonizing, I call it exposing. Whatever. Next time, which won’t come until 2024 as the next 8 years after Obama are Hillary’s for the taking, you fellas need to either understand that the demographic that got your guys elected in the past will never be again- or you need to prop up a slicker salesman..

30. Grumpy Guy says:

Hillary will be 69 in 2016. 77 in 2024. I have a hard time believing she is both willing at this point and can avoid being labeled as too old. The Presidency ages people; I’d hate to see her at 77 after 8 years of that. Better that we find someone younger, no matter the party.

• twinfan1 says:

Geez, she’s alreading leading prospective candidates in polling for the Iowa caucuses. We’ll see, but it’s hers if she wants it, there’s very little disagreement on that.

31. Grumpy Guy says:

As for Petraeus:

Petraeus’ resignation letter, quoted by several news outlets, centered on his personal behavior.

“Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours,” he said. “This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.”

Sounds like a man who wants to focus on saving his marriage.

No, Grump. It was a secret directive by Obama to oust Patraeus because Patraeus is a closet Muslim. Look it up! It’s all over the internets!

But wait! Why would Obama dismiss a Muslim from his CIA directorship? Becasue that’s exactly what they think he wouldn’t do! He can be more sneaky from the outside!

Truth is, if Romney had gotten the Latino vote that Bush did in 2004, he would have won.

Sadly, Rmoney burned that bridge during the primaries when he ridiculed Rick Perry and his moderate immagration stance as governor of Texas, saying AZ is the model for the country. The Republican candidates all ran to the tea party to their ultimate doom.

Boner is now talking immigration reform that isn’t as draconian as it was 4 days ago. Funny how losing the election will change one’s perspective.

I think it should be Bill Richardson vs Chris Christie. Battle of the heavyweights.

They can start the Iowa caucus with a hotdog eating contest . . .

The bottom line here, NoFear, is the Republicans didn’t even want Romney as their nominee. Why would the country want him as president?

I’m waiting for NoFear to tie the ‘resignation’ to the Benghazi fiasco.

Because Benghazi = 9/11. No, it’s worse, somehow.

Anyhow, back to football.

You know Danny Amendola, their only WR weapon, will get Rogers and Goldson just about every route over 10 yards, but the Rams will take deep shots. Which means the once and future star Goldson has to stay at home and not bite on play-action or double moves.

Politics? Nothing a good spanking of the Rams won’t solve.

From politics, nah. I like politics. The extremists on either spectrum not so much. The attempt to place working people into servitude has failed as has the intent to control women.
      In my humble opinion it serves this country best to have one party have the presidency and the other one of the house to temper a singular view such as baby Bush had for 6 of his 8 years. Likewise Obama in his first 2. Unfettered power to one party means one voice is heard. Republicans tried the squeeze play during the first term, opposing just about every bill and filibustering at an unprecedented rate in an effort to have Obama’s first term be as much a failure as possible in order to win a republican presidency. It didn’t work as a strategy.
      Now we have a reset, Republicans have to become the party of yes in order to take credit for righting the country in the next 4 years. They must also become more inclusive to diversity. Hannity has already embraced immigration reform, something he has banged the drum against for years.
      Democrats on the other hand have to recognize that there is not an unlimited supply of money to pander to every cause no matter how worthy it is deemed. To continue to increase the debt in the short term is ok, since austerity as a solution has failed in every country it has been tried. But to not address the debt in the long term view is irresponsible. It makes no difference now who started wars and didn’t pay for them or who made tax cuts and didn’t pay for them or who gave enormous bailouts to whom. Today we have an unmanageable and increasing debt that must be addressed. All solutions are on the table, taxes, defense budget, social programs, raising of revenue etc. No party got a mandate to say anything should not be on the table as a negotiating position, we the people deserve and demand government by the people for the people and that means ALL the people not the privleged few or the masses with their hand out. It is a crazy situation that almost half the adults pay no federal tax. It is a crazy situation that pay is comparatively so low to the cost of living that many can’t afford to live.
      A prosperous United States needs manufacturing here, and it needs a working and middle class that can afford to spend money here at home within this economy. Allowing the uber rich or giant corporations to make unheard of profit margins and then turn around invest them overseas in China and India and send manufacturing there because of a better return on their investments does not help the U.S., it helps those individuals. China must be made to play by the rules and our companies here must be held accountable to this economy or no matter who is your political flavor we are all in a world of shit.
      This nonsense of my party is better than your party and has the right answers is a shell game. Real policies are needed. The time for politicking is over. Now they must work together and they will if only for their own self interest in being elected next time.

Stump speech over!

38. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

The mistress has been identified as Paula Broadwell DCI Patreus’ biographer

Grumpy, looks like Chip Kelly might make it to the NFL after all: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

We get to see if his math is new math or good math.

Sounds like a guy who got caught to me, Grumpy. But when did he get caught is the question.

It’s the timing of it that raises the stink.

Yes, I think it’s tied up in the Benghazi story. And even a party-line parrot like Chuck has to admit BHO tends to leak immediately classified intel when he sees it as politically expedient while hiding behind it when he wants something buried.

It’s all speculation at this point, but it sounds like he didn’t back the administration’s play or fall on his sword gracefully enough. And how often is the chance to take him out of the political landscape going to come up?

I’ve been picking the Niners to win huge each week but I just don’t see it this week. I think we start a little slowish and just sort of sludge our way to a victory (hopefully). Niners 24 Lambs 16

42. Berger says:

History has a way of repeating itself. IMO, this election was the final nail in the coffin that turned America from a Republic into a Democracy. Of course, we do know our founding fathers warned of this as well as Karl Marx telling us why Democracies always fail. IMO, they are all correct. So be it if this is what the society I live in wants. Not much I can do about it except cry for America. FDR started the turn from a Republic to a Democracy, Obama and the (47%, but more properly, 50%) voters finished it. At least I can follow sports.

You packing your bags, Bergs? Good God, what a scared little puppy. The slky is falling! THe sky is falling!

44. Berger says:

Yes it is. Open your eyes fool.

Yeah, we’re Argentina. And you are Daffy Duck. Pull another story from your ass. I bet Ayn Rand is popular in your garage.

And if Romney got elected, gold would be raining from the skies.

When will you learn that it really doean’t matter who gets elected? Sorry you can’t get out from under the spell of Faux News. And don;t give me the ‘I’m not really a Republican’ schtick. You stole that from me when I told you I had voted for John Anderson in 1980.

So, in 100 years, the Unted States will be in trouble because of a 3% tax increase. One that was put in place by Roinald Reagan.

47. Berger says:

“Democracy is a form of government that cannot long survive, for as soon as the people
    learn that they have a voice in the fiscal policies of the government, they will move
    to vote for themselves all the money in the treasury, and bankrupt the nation.”
    — Karl Marx, author of the Communist Manifesto.

48. Berger says:

From James Madison, one of the members of the Convention charged with writing our
    Constitution, he wrote the following: “…democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence
    and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of
    property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been in violent in
    their deaths.” The word democracy does not appear in the constitution of a single one of
    our fifty states.

John Marshall, who was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835 said:
    “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between
    order and chaos.”

Alexander Hamilton, in a speech made on June 21, 1778, stated: “It had been observed that a pure
    democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that
    no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves
    deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny;
    their figure deformity.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson stated: “Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors.”

George Washington is his first inaugural address, dedicated himself to “The preservation…
    of the republic model of government.”

When asked about the form of government produced by the Constitutional Convention, Thomas
    Jefferson answered, “A Republic, if you can keep it.” (Benjamin Franklin is reported to
    have said this also.)

49. Berger says:

unca- You go on being smarter than our founding fathers. Plenty of you agree with yourselves, that doesn’t make it right. Good night.

I may not be smarter than the founding fathers, maybe I am. But nothing of what you said means anything. Obama gets elected so now we’re a banana republic? We’re ancient Greece? Got it.

What next? Everyone in the country gets to print their own currency? Yay! 5000% inflation! Listening to guys like you 4 years ago, we should all be speaking Arabic, paying 80% in taxes, and praying to allah. What hapened?

Like I said, if you are so worried, move to Australia. Shit, too socialist.

And, yeah, thank God we don’t have people in our government. We have the cream of the crop in Congress and the Senate. Brilliant minds who have nothing but the best interests of the country at heart.

It’s amazing. In 4 short years, Obama has destroyed America and everything it stands for. You picked the wrong week to stop smoking meth, skippy.

• twinfan1 says:

Obama has the hammer now, and Boehner knows it. ( BTW, it was McConnell who made the “one term President” remark) .As Slate magazine says in no uncertain terms “Nothing will happen during the Lame Duck session. Then the Bush tax cuts will expire. Then Obama will propose some middle class tax cuts and the House will pass them. The interesting thing to talk about is whether that Obama tax reform could somehow be more creative/interesting/better than simple extension of the Bush tax cuts. But either way, Obama will get what he wants on policy and Republicans will get what they want on politics—namely the ability to complain that taxes on the rich are too high and people need to elect them to enact some tax cuts.”

Funny thing is, nothing will really change, the economy will recover in the next few years, yet you will still be whining about your ‘lost’ country. Like John Boehner said the day after Obama was elected in 2008, Our mission in life is to make Obama a one-term president. Nothing else matters. We will not compromise or agree to anything he tries to do.

That’s gevernment in action. WEll gevernment inaction.

53. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

San Jose just passed a measure to raise the minimum wage to $10.00 Hour.
    The GOP is decrying how this is going to cost people jobs. The GOP wants to abolish the minimum wage all together. They feel it’s OK to pay someone $5 an hour so they can make a bigger profit.
    Living the American Dream off the backs of the have nots. That’s called looking for a handout.

Sorry Chuck, put this further up the thread but it makes more sense here and the good news is you get to read it twice!!!

Democrats on the other hand have to recognize that there is not an unlimited supply of money to pander to every cause no matter how worthy it is deemed. To continue to increase the debt in the short term is ok, since austerity as a solution has failed in every country it has been tried. But to not address the debt in the long term view is irresponsible. It makes no difference now who started wars and didn’t pay for them or who made tax cuts and didn’t pay for them or who gave enormous bailouts to whom. Today we have an unmanageable and increasing debt that must be addressed. All solutions are on the table, taxes, defense budget, social programs, raising of revenue etc. No party got a mandate to say anything should not be on the table as a negotiating position, we the people deserve and demand government by the people for the people and that means ALL the people not the privileged few or the masses with their hand out. It is a crazy situation that almost half the adults pay no federal tax. It is a crazy situation that pay is comparatively so low to the cost of living that many can’t afford to live.
    A prosperous United States needs manufacturing here, and it needs a working and middle class that can afford to spend money here at home within this economy. Allowing the uber rich or giant corporations to make unheard of profit margins and then turn around and invest them overseas in China and India and send manufacturing there because of a better return on their investments does not help the U.S., it helps those individuals. China must be made to play by the rules and our companies here must be held accountable to this economy or no matter who is your political flavor or we are all in a world of shit.

Stump speech over!

If your first paragraph was written by a non-partisan it doesn’t read that way.

No impartial observer could ignore the daily drone of demonizing the President’s every action and word, including a huge amount of misinformation, for GW’s entire eight years in office. And Obama’s very public hatred of Republicans while excluding any input from that side and promoting the idea of punishing those citizens that didn’t vote for him, while complaining only of Republicans’ efforts to have their voice heard.

What do you suppose their constituents sent them to DC for? Roll over for whatever Obama wants to pass in closed-door deal sessions and bills of thousands of pages of new laws that are passed without even being read just because it furthers the left’s agenda to bring this country into European socialism as far and as quickly as possible.

At least recognize that a great many citizens of this country don’t want that for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

No president has divided this country like Obama has and continues to do. He seeks to divide in every way possible. It’s the path to an agenda, not a better country. Only partisans can think that is the way to lead.

My take on that NF is that you could substitute Obama for Bush and Bush for Obama in what you say. You hold a view from the right and see exactly the same things that the left view saw from Bush. It’s a perfect example of what I am saying. I fully recognize almost half the country is unhappy with is direction, in exactly the same way when a republican last had the office.
    Extreme partisanship has been a growth industry.
    I would argue that both Bush and Obama have been equally divisive during their service, at least to date. I expect the second term of Obama to more unifying for all the reasons I first stated.
    As for my position I think you will find that the more liberal of out blog friends will find parts of what I posted as offensive as you did in opposite areas of course. It’s a validation in and of itself when most don’t like what I have to say for their own reasons.

Sorry NF I didn’t address the congressman aspect, yes they are their to protect their constituents. Unfortunately very few do. They have self interest or party interest held above their constituents interests. That goes for both parties and includes the upper house.
    There is no doubt filibustering hit an all time high during the past 4 years and for all sorts of “reasons” most of which were actually self serving on both sides.

NoFear, almost half the country was extremely disappointed when Bush won.

The right feels the same way about Obama as the left felt about Bush.

Why is that so hard to figure?

Congress is suposed to represent it’s constituents? You been under a rock for 30 years? Congress approval rating is at an alltime low. Why? Becuse they aren’t serving their populace? Because all they want to do is STAY in Congress? Because they enjoy feeding at the public money trough? Because they enjoy the benefits of free health care while they deny it to the people they serve? Becasue they have free rein to insider-trade stocks while its illegal for the rest of us? Yes.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Congressmen get huge amounts of money from PACs and corporations. They are honest politicians, for the most part: once bought, they stay bought. Problem is, we the people did not do the buying. They are utterly loyal – to those who fund their continued reelection. The whole system is crooked and rigged. Unless that changes, nothing changes.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Oh, and yeah: Union (and some corps) domination of the Dems is just as bad as Corporate domination of the Reps.They’re all fucking swine, feeding at adjacent troughs.

I don’t agree with this comparison that unions and corporations are equally as bad. It’s not close to the same amounts of money being peddled. Unions do have to have a correction whether that’s a self correction or an enforced one. When the rest of society is having a tough time and money is tight union employees cannot continue to feed at the trough at unsustainable levels. They too need to adjust to the new realities. I think agreements need to have flexibility inserted to fluctuate with the rest of society. It could be tied to many economic indicators and should run the gamut of payments made on their behalf including pensions. In short when we are all having good times so should union employees, when we are all hurting they need to hurt too or the burden falls more on non union labor and society at large.
        The auto industry is a great example. Unions refused to budge from the massive health and pension costs the companies were laden with right up to and including bankruptcy. Only then did they make new agreements reflecting the new reality and business model or be permanently unemployed. Partly as a result of these new agreements the domestic auto industry is resurgent and close to competitive with imports.
        Like most of these issues, there is 2 sides to the story, companies need to be competitive in the global arena and people need to have protections and security in order to prosper.

Dems and Repub house members feed at the exact same trough, corporate special interest and often from the exact same special interest groups where they buy both sides to vote for or against a given measure against the very people they should be representing. It’s a game and we the people need a seat at the table.

• Grumpy Guy says:

In my world, NO ONE could make large contributions to political parties or candidates. Not corporations, not unions, not PACs. The whole big money bullshit is a big part of what has corrupted the political process in this country. I’d limit all individuals to 100 bucks a piece, and screw anyone who doesn’t like it. And no collective contributions at all.

Citizens united exacerbated an already horrendous flow of money. It also allows foreign money to affect our domestic elections. I agree Grump, ban all large contributions from any source. That takes the graft out of much of the elections.

NF and Twin, I just wanted to acknowledge your service to your country with veterans day coming up, and the same to anyone else who has served.

Thank You.

237 distinguished years.

Well I suppose it’s easy to forget Bush’s attempts at reaching across the aisle. Ted Kennedy was a major influence in Bush’s No Child Left Behind legislation. There were others but it got Bush nothing in the way of cooperation or even a let up in daily vitriol. Obama started out with we won you sit down and shut up. That’s hardly the same.

I’m not going to change any minds or even open any. Most folks see what they want to see and see themselves as the example of fairness.

The problem I see in Congress is the old-timers wield the influence and the new guys can’t buck it. “If you don’t vote with us on this, we’ll see to it you’re an ineffective representative and we won’t back a thing for you.”

They don’t have much choice. It’s why almost everything comes down to party-line votes. But when it’s time to re-elect how many voters call up the voting record and decide if they want that guy in there again? How many bother to contact their rep’s office and let them know how they should vote on a bill?

Promising everything, delivering nothing, taking unemployment, the national debt and the economy from bad to worse. Re-elected on that, why? Because with the aid of the media he’s able to blame the last guy even after four years. If you were a stockholder in a company that hired him as president to do a turn-around you wouldn’t buy it.

Having the media in the bag makes it easy to paint the other guy as the devil and that’s what they did. “The attempt to place working people into servitude has failed as has the intent to control women.” supports this point.

de Tocqueville talks about America’s democracy dissolving into tyranny or despotism and that’s what Obama personifies.

He’s managed to keep the Benghazi debacle under wraps until after the election as well as Patraeus’ resignation and the Iranians shooting at our drone. All while spouting off about what a transparent administration he runs.

Clinton forced some in his cabinet to publicly lie for him while he was lying about Monica. Did Obama do the same with Patraeus? How is this not the focus of the press? It would certainly be if it was on the last guy. Even the possibility of Bush having smoked a joint in college had the country’s press investigating furiously and was front page for two weeks as were questions about his military service. While Obama hides all his personal records and the press is mute.

The same with Bush? Not even close.