Game Day # 3 – Don’t meet me in St Louie, Louie

This is the 3rd straight division game for the Niners in the semi-interrupted path to the playoffs. This on paper looks like a game that should be a good old fashioned stomping.  The Rams are a fairly non-descript team with what was thought to be a up-and-coming QB, Rookie of the year, SAm Bradford, and all-world RB Steven Jackson. Well, things ain’t going well. After firing Mike Martz in 2006, they’ve gone through Joe Vitt, Scott Linehan, Jim Hanslett, Steve Spagnulo (10-38!), and now Jeff Fisher.

After his rookie success, Bradford has struggled with injuries and inconsistency. The defense has been a continual work in progress, and the Rams promising 3-2 start has devolved into a 3 game losing streak.

Trap game? Looking forward to the 7-1 Bears next Monday night? Well, I don’t think so. I think we see a good dose of running down their throat, and play action. A methodical dismantling similar to the AZ game.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

416 Responses to Game Day # 3 – Don’t meet me in St Louie, Louie

guess who,

need a big play

Weird that Fangio hasn’t come up with a way to take Amendola way. He’s worked the niner D all day…

shit here it is

5. Grumpy Guy says:

52 yard kick here.

lol

7. Grumpy Guy says:

omg. Awful penalty.

Unbelievable with that delay…

here it is…again

10. Grumpy Guy says:

58 yards now.

sweet

12. Grumpy Guy says:

Nope.

This may be the wackiest NFL game ever. If not, it’s close…

Unreal. How does Jeff Fisher still have a job?

hope Akers gets his shit together now

16. Grumpy Guy says:

Now we need a couple of plays by Kap to pull this one out.

17. Alleykat says:

Now Fisher should be fired for sure.Especially with a TO to burn.

18. Grumpy Guy says:

Third and long.

huge down here

20. Grumpy Guy says:

Neither team has exactly covered themselves in glory here.

21. Alleykat says:

Fucking game should end up in a tie.Neither team deserves a win…

22. Grumpy Guy says:

Well we’re not winning it.

that after the 2 min???

It would be fitting if this game ends in a tie. Both teams DESERVE to lose, but since that can’t happen, a tie is the next best thing. And the Niners tying the Rams is just as bad as a loss.

all on the defense now

26. Grumpy Guy says:

Amendola almost muffed that. Misjudged the ball.

brooks again

Brooks having a very good game. One of the few bright spots…

29. Grumpy Guy says:

Unbeleivable.

crazy game

This game is just one big fucking mess. They should burn the game film. Oh wait, coach Singletary will probably want to look at it…

Why don’t they just hit Amendola off the line and get him off his route…

33. Grumpy Guy says:

Man what an ugly clusterfuck.

34. IH1972 says:

NFL OT rules suck mother fucking cock. A tie?

35. Grumpy Guy says:

Kiss your sister.

I’m embarrassed as a football fan that I watched that entire fiasco. I want my four hours back. I was gypped.

I can think of lots of adjectives for this game but boring isn’t one of them.

38. twinfan1 says:

What a bizzare game, a tie is appropriate, and pretty lucky. Nice showing by Kappy, hope Alex is OK..

Wow, that is the craziest game I can remember in a long time. In fact, the wackiest one I CAN remember. A tie ending fits the quality of play and coaching on both sides. Harbaugh and his coaching staff just lost some sheen on their coaching luster. Fangio and the D has some ‘splainin to do. One thing I do know, there goes my 11-5 prediction….

40. philippinefan says:

We’re up over Sea by 1 1/2 now?

41. Alleykat says:

Shit they could have kept playing into MNF game.

Although I rejected it out of hand in the WSeries, I’m going with the “rust” excuse…

That 1/2 point comes back to haunt or is the margin we needed.

44. Qua says:

That sorry piece of shit Akers.

45. Qua says:

And like it

I almost always think everything Denny posts is just worthless, *look at me!* shit, but he’s finally hit on one of his mantra’s. Both teams DID deserve to lose today though the Niners deserved to lose more……..

Gonna have to watch the Bears-Texans game, see what the Bears bring.

Jesus H. Christ. Brent Jones has put on the lbs. He’s a fat fuck. He must be eating tacos with Pablo.

49. Qua says:

Akers lost the game. T

Niners deserved to lose the game more. If there’s a good side to this tie, I would say that’s it…

With the receiving core and the running game the Niners have they should have crushed the lambs!! I am tired of those who defend the Niners running game!! This league favors the passing game!! Why in the hell did they pick up Moss if they were going to pass sparingly!!! I am so pissed that they lost/tied the game!!! This should have been a win!! This falls on the play calling! Even with Kappy in there, throw the ball!! Throwing the ball is what got Gore his runs in the second half!

Kevin, if you haven;t noticed, the Niners have been winning with a strong run game. This was the first time anyone really slowed it down. Anf Gore still got over 100.

In the GIants and Minn game, the Niners CHOSE not to run.

Youi are pissed they tied? I’m happy they didn’t lose. The Rams should have won 3 times. Akers missed the FG, and Harbaugh got conservative in the OT, but at that point he didn’t want to give up the ball on a turnover. I understand the decision. I ain’t crazy about it, but with all that went on oin this game, he wanted to salvage the tie.

• Irish Kevin says:

Chuck, why did they pick up Moss? As a diversion, because all they have is the run? That is bullshit!!! If you can have a 300 yard passing and a 300 yard running, you have have a passing game!! The Niners are afraid to do it against good defenses! The Giants scared them out of there passing game!! What was it 3 pics on Alex so you abandon the passing game??? Once more bullshit!!

• Irish Kevin says:

Far as I can tell Harbaugh’s offense is getting more and more like Singletary and Nolan, rely on the run and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY THE DEFENSE HOLDS IT!!

All that being said, the defense looked awful this game. They gave up way too much to the 2 guys you have to account for. Jackson and Amendola. They did healthy up[ their sine some, sothey might not ba as bad as they would appear.

54. Alleykat says:

As bad as we were,a tie looks pretty fucking good.The Rams had so many game changing killer shots.Amedola,punt return to the 5,penalty.Amedola 80 yarder in OT,penalty.Field goal for the Rams in OT,good,nope delay of game.Kappy stripped of ball,lucky to get it back by Miller,probably huge as well.Yeah Akers fucked up his kick,still made the one to send it into OT atleast,and helped salvage this forgettable game.Rams deserved it,but still didnt.get it.Fuck it take the tie and be grateful.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Agreed. By next year, Fisher will have taught these guys how to win games like this one. They just couldn’t finish today. They came damned close to embarrassing the shit out of us on our home turf though.

Our division is going to be Goddamned tough next year with Asshole Petey and Fisher.

55. twinfan1 says:

Could have been Bradford’s best game ever. Considering everything, a tie was a gift.

56. Grumpy Guy says:

Our defense is very much validating what I said about regression to the mean this Spring. They’re just not as consistently solid as last season. Some weeks the offense has picked up the slack, some weeks not.

I think Kappy would go about .500 the rest of the way if Alex is out a long time. But if you hope for a SB this year, it’s still Alex or bust. Kappy just has a lot to learn still about playing the position in the NFL.

Alex is far more experienced and better prepared, definitely is a better proposition to win any given game and I hope he comes back quickly. That said, Kap showed some good things in relief, if he has to play a number of games I think he may be very good.

• snarkk says:

Agreed, he can’t be expected to have done much more than today; he never friggin plays in game conditions. He did well under the circumstances. That last quarter drive was very good under crunch time…

• Grumpy Guy says:

He has the physical talent and creativity on the field to be very good. But right now, the game is often a mystery to him. There were plays today when you could see him hesitating, trying to process everything he was seeing, trying to decide where to throw or when to run. If he really gets his head around the position he can be special. But for now, Alex is our guy. Hopefully this concussion clears up soon enough for him to play against the Bears.

I also thought he tried too long to make the play that was called work. More experience and confidence and that will be less. As Snarkk said, the kid did as well as can be reasonably expected in relief. I too hope Alex is ready in time for the Bears. They could make life tough on Kap. Truthfully I saw nothing today that makes me give up on the season if Alex is out a few games though.

Rams head home thinking they were the better team and today they were. Makes the game at their place more interesting.

Well if Harbaugh really holds back on the passing game cause he does not have faith in Alex to get the job done, this is where we will see if he opens it up, don’t know much about Kappy. I believe the Niners drafted him cause of his passing skillls. So we shall see what Harbaugh is made of. Will he just go throw in the towel and go 75% run or will he test Kappy and see if he is the niner QB of the future??

• twinfan1 says:

Kappy may be the QB of the future, but remember he wasn’t even the second string QB of the future until the last preseason game. If Alex is out next week and beyond, it’s extremely unlikely the passing game would be opened up, it would be zipped up. There’s absolutely nothiing that’s transpired to suggest anyone but Smith is the QB this year and beyond if he’s healthy.

Oh and for those of you who think Alex will be back next week…I truly doubt it. I took a header off a bicycle, no helmet. I don’t even remember falling off the bike. All I remember is all of a sudden being on the ground, hunting for my glasses, don’t even know how long I was out, not long. Not remembering what happened is very scary. The headache and the dizzy spells wrer the worst!! This is why the NFL has gotten tougher on letting players back in the next game. Which is a good thing

60. Grumpy Guy says:

There is a league-mandated, four(?)-day long process before he can be cleared to play again. IF *everything* goes smoothly, he just has time. If he has any setbacks at all, he will miss that game.

The team should know Tuesday – if he still has symptoms, he cannot even start the process. Hopefully a couple good nights sleep sand he’ll be okay. But the league now mandates teams err on the side of caution and that is a good thing.

Too brave for his own good. Slide!

62. twinfan1 says:

I thought I heard Harbaugh say it was actually on the sneak.

63. twinfan1 says:

Geez, our predictions were as bad as Rove’s. And I’ve already spent my Super Pac bucks on dog biscuits.

64. winder says:

The Rams were better prepared for this game. We were outcoached for the 3rd time this year. We are luckey we got a tie.

Lucky. The Rams got over on with a couple of school yard plays and Amandola made us look inept.

Amendola did the same to us last year if I remember correctly. Why give him a free release from the LOS when he is so quick?

Don’t look now (and cover your ears), but if the season ended today the Seahawks would be in the playoffs.
    Guess where they’d be playing in the wildcard round.

• twinfan1 says:

They would be here, losing. Packers would be at NY, winning. We would then beat the Bears in Chicago and the Packers would beat Atlanta in Atlanta. The chamionship game would then be here against the Packers… but I expect us to overtake Chicaco for one of the byes.

67. rtfirefly2 says:

And after their bye week and 14 days to prepare, the Jets offense scored 0 points. Hello, Mr. Tebow, step on down!
    Things could be worse than a tie with the Lambs.

68. Chico says:

If anyone predicted a tie, show me proof and you’ll be the proud owner of an 1967 convertible Stingray with a 427 turbo jet.

69. twinfan1 says:

If Alex is out for next week can we talk about Kappy all day?

Yeah, you just never know. Giants get lit up by CIncy? Didn’t see that coming. Chicago lost as expected. They have a nasty schedule ging forward.

The defense IS becoming an issue. Jackson and his stunt double ran all over us today, They threw well off play action because of that. Bradford hit Amendola all over the field, and Goldson had a pretty bad game. Culliver did try to jam Amendola,and he fell down. Amendola got loose for a bomb down the sideline.

71. 12th man wins with 7 point spread looks like

Excuse me, Phil. But I had it 3-2 St. Louis. That’s a 1 pt. spread last time I checked. But I suffered a concussion today, so my math could be a little foggy.

72. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

What hasn’t bee discussed are the fake punts and how the Forty Niners didn’t defend them properly. Their coaches picked up a flaw that left a Ram’s gunner wide open and that play had the effect of a turnover in the second half. The fake in the first half was such a suprise because it was
    done from their own 10 yard line. Cost the Forty Niners a FG chance in a tight game at the end of the first half.

• philippinefan says:

This would seem to validate Grump’s point about playing the odds- going for it on 4th down, etc. It worked to perfection on those two plays. Plus maybe Fischer was sending the message “Two can play that game Harbaugh”.

“I’ve never heard of a tie in football,” Goldson said. “Where’s everybody going? Did somebody quit? Forfeit?”

I want that stupid mook off of my football team right fucking now. He never heard of a tie in football? What rocks to they find these fucking morons under? I’m going to go concuss that Jethro Bodine dumb motherfucker myself. Thin the fucking herd.

• twinfan1 says:

There hadn’t been one in 4 years in the NFL. BTW, a 3-2 prediction gets you dumb motherfucker mook of the year- oh wait, in a tie with “Qua”.

74. philippinefan says:

Niners continue their pattern of 2 wins followed- by a loss, a loss and now a tie- a bad games. I thought the pattern would be broken this week by a win but the KO of Alex changed all that I guess. Kap played pretty well considering. He’s going to be alright and hopefully we get Alex back for the Bears. Otherwise = another dogfight.

As I understand it, tie games count for 1/2 win and 1/2 loss for each team.
    And Phil, though I missed the score by 8 total points I think I should be declared the winner for 2 reasons.
    1) I nailed the Niner score cold
    2) I was decidedly worried about this game as my post indicates:
    “Flavor: Niners 24 Lambs 16. I’ve been picking the Niners to win huge each week but I just don’t see it this week. I think we start a little slowish and just sort of sludge our way to a victory (hopefully). Niners 24 Lambs 16”
    Therefore, i am declaring myself the winner of your weekly game unless I hear otherwise from the commissioner (that’s you). 🙂 🙂 🙂

• phil fan says:

You know Flav I considered both those points and it caused me no end to anguish, physical, mental, emotional. In the end I had to defer to Chuck’s edit that the the winner is the one who gets closest to the point spread. I’m just a humble scribe (altho highly paid) working here for Unca. Best take it up with him. I hear a bottle of the good stuff has been known to change his mind…

Yeah, you had the most misgivings re the game,. Flav. After seeing the Gaints puke on their shoes vs Cincy, I got worried myself.

Game of the Week, or game of the weak?

Shit, the D gave up ~460 yards. Cappy got some meaningful playing time, and after a shakey start, held himself together pretty well. A little unsure a few times, but otherwise did pretty well, and should have led the team to victory in OT. Fisher made some very bonehead calls, and Smith should have gotten down on that scramble. That may have not been the initial hit, but that one was brutal, and only helped things along.

Whoever thinks Smith isn’t tough hasn’t been through anything like that.

• twinfan1 says:

He *was* down. The hit was technically “legal” but it was also dirty, Dunbar intentionally lowered his helmet to insure a hit to Smith’s head.

• philippinefan says:

In that case Mr Fischer will likely have stirred up a hornets nest in our Defense with Bradford, Amendola having big fat targets painted on they’re backs. Supposed to be how Fischer coaches sez Eric Davis who played for JF.

Everyone here keeps saying look how they are winning with a strong running game, and yet you all bitched and moaned about Singletary and Nolan inability to use the pass. Well Harbaugh has not changed one thing on offense! The Niners management and coaching staff fool us fans into thinking they were going to open up the passing game. Well it has not happened. Tha Niners are a mirror image of the Ravens. Who coaches that team again?? Depend on the running game and your defense. But when the Niners fall behind by say 14 points and have to rely on the passing game they still go conservative, screens and the 3-5 yard pass. When am I going to see the Niners spread the field. At least when Singletary was coach and the Niners were so far behind that is yforced the Niners to pass, he would then throw out 5 wide receivers. I have not seen Harbaugh do that yet!! The Niner passing game is still the joke of the league.

• twinfan1 says:

It’s a joke if the only benchmark is total yardage. And if that’s the only benchmark, the benchmark is a joke. For some reason efficiency is considered a dirty word. BTW, when they fell behind by 14, they pulled to 14-7 featuring a balanced attack culminating in a TD pass to Crabtree. In looking for culprits yesterday it would be special teams and a defense that gave up over 450 yards. Both QBs and the offense in general played well enough that this should have been the win most anticipated. IMO.

• Irish Kevin says:

Totally agree but those passes were down the field, and Smith was the QB. Once Kappy came in it was run and pass only if they had too! Why not spread the field with Kappy in there? It would have opened up Kappy’s running ability. This is not rocket science here. Other teams do it!! I believe A Luck did some pretty nifty running recently. No Mike this falls on the coaching staff for not having a plan other than the run, kick out the Buffalo game and you have a mediocre passing attack, at best.

• twinfan1 says:

Kevin, whatever you say. Even Fear is entitled to his opinion. They’re 6-2-1, they would have been in the Super Bowl last year but for two muffed punts and Harbaugh is is the same as Dumb and Dumber? Whatever.

78. philippinefan says:

Will Fangio let Amendola run free past the line of scrimmage next meeting? Head scratcher that one. Dude almost beat us first play in over-time…running free. Knock him off his route early and often.

Irish Kevin, they’ve all had the same starting QB and RB to work with. They all knew who gave their teams the best chance at putting points on the board. But we do now have the run blocking in place to make it a very big weapon.

It’s odd to see how fast some folks are dissing Kaep’s off-the-bench performance against Alex’s eight year experienced look.
    How about he gets a week or two of first team reps before we judge anything.

But some signs you look for are ability to avoid pressure while keeping focus downfield and capacity to extend the play when blocking breaks down. And Kaep shows he’s already way ahead of Alex there. He made several nice passes and ran a pretty good two-minute to get the tie. His awareness on his TD wasn’t bad either. Very promising for the long awaited passing game I’d say.

• philippinefan says:

Not to diss Smith but I’d say there’s been a lotta “long awaiting” for the Forty Niners- O, D, ST for past several years. It’s great having Kap as a backup to Alex. Not bad for his first game action. There was nothing gimmicky about his TD run, his other runs, some of the passes.

• twinfan1 says:

I thought Kap did very well in his first rime actron and said so. But it’s beyond the Valley of the Absurd to even suggest he’s anywhere close to ready to be the starter. He showed he is a back up who can keep the team competitive. Nice job yesterday.

80. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Kaepernick fumbled the ball twice and the Forty Niners were extremely lucky to recover those loose balls..

One thing that Kappy almost blew was the pass right before the FG to tie the game. he threw the ball to Williams while Moss was supposed to drag the defenders to the end zone. 2 didn’t bite, so if Williams catches that ball, time runs out and the Niners lose. Other than that, and the fumbles, he did dderseve to win the game in OT.