Kyle Williams Redux? Redemption? Really?

Kyle Williams gets a chance to face the team that he had his worst moment as a pro on Sunday as the 49ers play host to the New York Giants. Williams had some adventurous times to say the least returning punts in the NFC Championship game earlier this year. He had a fumble on the end-around for a 9 yard loss, he ran and dove to catch a punt needlessly and recklessly, and then there was the one that skipped into him, and the fumble in OT to pretty much seal the fate of the Niners.

Now? Well, KW really seems to have settled down very well as a kickoff returner. With Ginn back returning punts, KW won’t have to worry about it. His WR job is going well as the 3rd option. His back-shoulder catch and run last week was run to perfection, and he was able to score on the play for his 1st TD. So, he’s not really going to be a huge part of the game plan, but with the deeper passing game making strides, he will get some looks.

As far as the football world goes, Tom Coughlin is playing the Rodney Dangerfield card for this one. Pretty laughable as they are the defending Super Bowl champions, but hey, I guess if you want to give it a try, WTF? Vegas? The Niners are getting 4.5 points. Which means they think this game is an even matchup. The over/under is 44.5. So, they think this will be a close defensive battle that comes down to the wire. For all the talk about this game, it won;t be a killer to lose. Early game against a non-division foe? It won;t really determins the winner of the NFC West, but it could later determine the home-field advantage in the playoff seedings. Not too big a worry at this pont.

I think it’ll end up 28-20 Niners. That being said, the Giants though defintely have a lot more to lose than the Giants do. All the teams in the NFC East are within one game of each other, and they can ill afford to fall behind Philly with their loss to them already. The Niners have all their games with AZ and Sea still to play, and they can lose this one without too much ill affect.

46 Responses to Kyle Williams Redux? Redemption? Really?

BUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll happily be wrong about the 17 point spread I predicted 33-16. Get a win, get redemption, get out without any injuries. Kyle Williams is gonna be motivated fer this one.

3. philippinefan says:

Scoring Challenge Niners vs Giants dragged forward to the head of the line and a few updates:

Chuck: 28-20 Niners. This game is big, but really doesn’t mean jack shit until we get to January. The hope is it decides homefield, but look at what that got us last year. It wouldn’t be a killer to lose this game. Though I think the Niners win 28-20.

Grumpy guy: 27-17 Niners. Next week will be harder. But we are more multi-dimensional than the Giants, and will be highly motivated after last year’s loss. I’ll take 27-17, 49ers.

barleyfreak: 38-17, Niners. I don’t think for a moment this team is going to get full of themselves before this rematch against the team that knocked them out last year. I think they come to play and they out play and out coach them.

Phil: 33-16 Niners. Bring on the fucking Giants those east coast media darlings

12th man: 31-27 Niners. I think whats at stake is redemption. Vindication for the belief that we should have gone to the bowl not them. In those terms this game is huge and I hope we left something in the gas tank from last week. .. let ESPN chew on that for a while.

snarkk: 30-20 Niners…

Irish Kevin: 31-13 Niners. I think Harbaugh inputs a little something into the offense every game. The Giants have a lot to contend with, when they are watching film of the Niners/jets, Niners/bills. If Harbaugh is getting the killer instinct that Bill had, well then 49ers 31 – NY 13

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! Ok let’s exorcise the stinkin’ ghosts of the NFC title game

• phil fan says:

Flav and RT are on board:

Flavor: 33-17 Niners. well, we are at least facing a competitive team this week. We still walk all over them. Payback time, bitches. 33-17

RT: 17-6 Niners. 2-0 or 256-255, a win is a win is a win. If the Niners get the W, I don’t care.

I have to remember to post that when the game starts, Phil . . .

• philippinefan says:

Yup. It’s fun and good to have handy. Some of the threads are so long this was getting lost.

Hey How ’bout them Giants? SF Giants!

Flav has been money these last 2 weeks. RTF has nailed the half time score every weekend.

Holy fucking shit. The (SF) Giants are incredible. This is up there with the greatest comebacks in history. They were dead meat at home, and still came through.

7. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Game 4 of NLCS scheduled for next Thurs. If it’s the Nationals it would be @ AT&T.
    Would MLB schedule it to be in direct conflict with Seattle vs. Forty-Niners?

Tommy what you see lookin’ into yer crystal ball for 9ers/NY?

Ahhh, I forgot the Sea game is Thursday night. At least we ain’t travelling. Not like last year when we flew to Balt for out Thursday game. Essentially giving the Niners 2.5 practice days before the Thanksgiving game.

Yeah, how does scheduling thursday games jive with player safety, Roger?

It doesn’t.

• philippinefan says:

Giants and then Thurs right away, the Seahags. That’s a 3 game homestand… Long break til Monday night @ AZ on 10/29. Then the Bye (11/4) and then Rams at home 11/11 when we play again.

I never heard about this:

Anyone else out there hear that Jacobs was pissed off? I sure hope he plays against his old team.

11. barleyfreak says:

I read some comments from Jacobs that indicated yeah, he was pissed for not being activated for BUF and would be more pissed if not activated for the NYG game. Then he had a meeting w/ JH and his attitude magically changed. I get his desire to beat on his old team, but fully healthy versus mostly healthy can make a huge difference, and it is a long, long season. Love to dance through it all w/o injuries, but that is unrealistic. Jacobs will get a chance.

FedEx air player of the week…..Alex Smith

I don’t quite get the Gilbride rip of Justin Smith for “holding”. Why would a defensive lineman hold an O-lineman much, either on a run or a pass play, unless the Dlineman and his buddy were doing a pass rushing stunt of some sort, or there was a backer blitz called, and Smith was trying to prevent the backer from getting picked up or clipped a little on his way through the line?…

• phil fan says:

Good question snarkk, you have a good point, Why indeed?

Simple answer: It has absolutely Nothing To Do with JS supposedly “holding”.

It’s all about Gilbride playing the media card = psych war on the minds of us rubes out here in the sticks. Coach Gilbride, like politicians everywhere, would like you and me to focus on his silly comments and Not on the Process of what he’s wanting to do = Confuse us with bullshit. End result = we’re confused and baffled with baloney. Hey maybe that gives ’em an edge?

I doubt it seriously. Head games? Not going to work coach.

And coach? Fuck the Giants and fuck you Gilboy

Signed, the Rube

Talk, talk, talk………Niners should beat these blowhards by a couple of TD’s this Sunday. GO NINERS! And lets get an Alex jersey for Dennis.

Up again at 4:30, Nipper? I told ya to give Joe Theismann a call and get yourself some of those prostate pills. Nothing to be ashamed about. Beats the hell outta having to order ED pills. Not that I would know anything about that…

And I told ya. I already have an Alex Smith jersey. I just washed it last week. I ordered it from the NFL shop catalogue right after we drafted him. No joke. I’ve been trying to give it away for the longest time. But now? I think I’ll ask to wear that jersey when it comes time for my final resting place. Nothing like going with a wry smile on your face.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

2-0 or 256-255, a win is a win is a win. If the Niners get the W, I don’t care.
    I’m off by about 30 total (both teams) after 5 games. I’d have to look it up, exactly, but who cares?
    True, in Week 1 it was my game pick. But horrible was the Vikes 16-3 halftime lead. That one bit weasels.

15. rtfirefly2 says:

And if you want to get technical, it was Niners who were supposed to have the 16-3 lead in my prediction. That’s why I changed to 17-6 after that game.

16. rtfirefly2 says:

Before I get onto my horse and get moving (figuratively), Jack, you helped your Dad about the same time I helped mine. You had cancer, as I did. About the exact same times, too.
    I just like to mess with you, because you can be One Note Crabby. But I still respect your sports opinions. You’re right on the money sometimes.

Kevin Gilbride? Punch ’em in the goddamn throat like Buddy Ryan did.

I knew you’d post that Dennis. THanks.

New THread is up