Bring Me the Head of Buffalo Bill

The 49ers finally get their 2nd game in the muddy confines with the Buffalo Gals, uh Bills. This is week 2 of the let’s play-all-the-NY-(NJ)- teams-in-the-league-in-three-weeks deal. Not sure if this is some kind of NFL record or something but I ain’t looking it up. The NY round-up got off to a rousing start with the shellacking of the J-E-T-S 34-zip. The D pitched a shutout, and the offense racked up nearly 250 yards on the ground. Fodder for Alex to take another load of shit for his performance, but whatevs, as my kids are wont to say. The Niners won convincingly and, at least to me, seemed to stress throwing longer passes to stretch the defense and open up the running game. If that was the plan, it worked. Smith didn’t connect as much as I would have hoped, but he didn’t make any mistakes, and had a good day. The mid-range passing game is a work in progress. This is Crabs’s 1st year in camp, and Manningham/Moss are still getting up to speed with Alex, so this would be a good game to keep this work up. The Minnesota game plan failed as all the underneath passing clogged the running lanes, there were few yards after the catch, and the Niners appeared out of synch. Can’t say enough about the D, so I won’t say anything. Other than they stifled the Jets. A team that laid 48 on these same Bills.

Buffalo spent the offseason retooling their defense. To the tune of $100 million on Not-So-Super Mario Williams. He of the 1.5 sacks 4 games into the season. So much for that. In their two losses to their AFC East rival Jets and Pats, they’ve given up 100 points. Does that mean we walk all over them? One would think. But then again, we should have beaten the Vikings.  Could this be a trap game for the Niners seeing as the New York Football Giants wait on the horizon? Possibly. but even then I don’t think this team will come out flat at home. I don’t see Spiller being that big a factor either. Ryan Fitzpatrick leads the league in TD passes, yet he leads the league in interceptions with 7. Seeing what happened with Minnesota, the Niners need to Shake up Fitz early and often. Something they didn’t do to Ponder and the Vikes. I’d throw some early blitzes in and really work on rattling Ryan. The Niners should prevail easily, 28-10.

219 Responses to Bring Me the Head of Buffalo Bill

Nice post chuck, i don’t think we’ll have to worry about overlooking a team again this year. I think we were more out coached than outplayed in the Viking game. That game was a wake up call. I would like to see us get out to a lead and continue to be aggressive throughout. Last week was the ultimate hard nosed game that is becoming a 49er standard. I love our running game but I would like to see more of an aerial attack. However, i,m sure Harbaugh has the game plan in hand and we will just have to wait and see. I guess I really want to see Alex smoke em through the air. I think it would do the organization a good service. I think we handle Buffalo without too much trouble.

Yeah, last week was kind of a mixed bag in the passing game. They hit on some nice passes, but left a lot out there. It continues to be a struggle for Alex to hit anyone not named VD on deep routes. Crabs even had a weird game. Moss got the one shot on the underthrow by Cappy. Wish I could see the tape on what is really going on with Moss. His Minn game was very underwhelming and he seems very gun shy out there. I love the coach on the field aspect, but if he’s dogging it out there, he’s blocking Jenkins from making progress out on the field.

3. twinfan1 says:

Well, when they attempt downfield throws so seldom, there isn’t going to be a lot of success. But we/they would have to live with more turnovers if they go deep more often. Fact of life. Is it worth it? That’s a question worth pondering when they’re 17-5 in the Harbaugh/Smith era…

• Winder says:

I would continue to play with the winning formula but I would love to see em stretch the field more often. The possibilty for turnovers is always there whether running the ball or tossing it. If the play is designed well and executed properly chance of turnovers will go down. It would also make our great running game better.

• twinfan1 says:

The possibility for turn\overs is hardly the same in every situation but I’m hardly suggesting they never go deep, that’s a distortion of my post..And the Minnesota game was lost because our defense couldn’t get Minnesota off the field, who beat us with the kind of passing game you guys are spitting on..

Yes, they will need to develop a better deep passing game if they want to be sucessful in the playoffs. If Minn showed anything it’s that short passes can be stopped by a fast defense. Like I said, the Niners didn’t run enough in the Minn game early, and all the passes were too short. They were forced to abandon the run after getting the score close at 17-13, and then the D giving up yet another long time consuming drive.

Last week, the passes were longer, and even though a lot of them didn’t work, sending the WRs on deeper routes opened up the running game, and allowed the underneath passes to gain more yards after the catch. They CANNOT rely on short yardage passes to score points consistently.

I’m very encouraged that they are looking to go deeper.

During the season where a loss is not the end of the world that’s all well and good not having many interceptions, it’s a nice stat to have similar to how many low risk throws in a row are made without a turnover. But playoffs is 1 and done, like last year, so speaking for myself I want the ability to throw down field if that’s what the game is in need of to win. Niners came up short last time, I don’t want a repeat of that because down field throws aren’t in the toolbox so practice away in in-season games I say.

• twinfan1 says:

Well, it’s revisionist history to suggest they came up short because of anything but the two fumbles by Kyle. Ball security is paramount in the playoffs even more than the regular season.

That wasn’t my point. The lack of offense was equally damaging.

• twinfan1 says:

Whatever. Actuallly Smith went deep twice and we had the game in hand . It was NY who ran the offense you’re spitting on.

Spitting on? A bit sensitive aren’t you?

• twinfan1 says:

“Spitting on” is a common term these days, I didn’t invent it. The point is how wrong you are factually about that game, only in the interest of putting it on Smith. Manning ran the offense you’re trashing Smith for and the game was lost by special teams turnovers.If you want to say Smith could been better, fine. But they failed to go the super bowl because of those turnovers, not Smith.

Interesting point of view. Comparing Smith and Manning is a stretch even for the most ardent Smith supporter, which you apparently are. The running games of both teams are as disparate as the throwing game. Niners need to stretch the field, of that there is no doubt. If Smith can do it to someone other than VD more power to him and we plug the glaring area of weakness. Harbaugh is experimenting with the O, less conservative. It’s about time he did, taking Smiths training wheels off is the right thing to do and we shall see what the outcome will be.

• twinfan1 says:

It;s not an “interesting” POV, it is an accurate one. The obstinance from you boys about admitting why the NY game was lost and how the teams played the game speaks to your bias.

Well, the Giants defense had a lot to do with the outcome. The teams were even offensively, 352 for the Giants to 328 for the Niners. The Niners didn’t light up the aerial assault, bit they did get 150 on the ground.

The downfall was the turnover battle that the Niners lost 2-0.

That game can be sliced up 20 ways from Christmas, and 3 singular yards to a WR is as relevent as any, but my point is I don’t see the need for a limited offense, which we have now, by the time playoffs come aroung if they push downfield a few times a game.

7. twinfan1 says:

This is just Insider West lacking thew spittle on your chins. Smith is always one bad pass away from having his clock ticking or whatever the newest dumb metaphor is.And none of you can understand that it’s Harbaugh who wants the error free football at the expense of a lot of chunk yardage. Even the Red Zone failure last year was on Jim- Smith was the best in football in the RZ even under Singletary. Jim was regularly calling two runs and throw the ball away, take the FG.

Thanks for letting me know what I don’t know, very revealing.

• twinfan1 says:

Well, you guys seem a tight knit group, you basically agree on everything, and you dig Denny. Enough said.

• phil fan says:

Hey don’t knock the team mascot the anti-fan Del Mar. He’s our reverse mojo machine and he’s pretty damn effective at 1-3 while Alex and the boys are 3-1. See, we need this guy. (mainly fer da humor)

Ok off to our tree farm…

• Winder says:

A bit touchy but nothing new there.

• twinfan1 says:

Winder, you were one of the most vicious attacking Smith on a personal level, I think you should fess up on how wrong you were and let it go. Touchy about Denny, of “Kill that fucking Jew” fame? You got that right, pal.

• Winder says:

Twin – It’s true I hated Smith from 2007 through 2010 I thought he was the worse starting QB the 49ers ever had. As far as admitting I was wrong about him I already did that last yr. I don’t know how many ways I said that I was wrong about him but I ate my crow already. Now I am making observations about him with all the hope I can muster for his success. I am a 49er fan through and through and have always put the team first. And, my comment wasn’t about denny, it was about how the subject of Smith always brings out the best in you.

Say what you will, Mike, but the team obviosuly isn’t as sold on Smith as you are. Hence the make-good contract. I’ve been behind A Smith for the most part due to all the bullshit he went through with Nolan, Hostler, Singletary, and Jimmy-Hat. I thought he was going to split after the 2008 season, I thought he’d get the hell out certainly after the Singletary debacle, and he would have split had the lockout not occurred. Strange forces are keeping him here. It really doesn’t matter what you, I or the other 9,999,998 people say or think. He’s got this season to improve or get left behind.

I’ll be happy as hell if he leads the team to the promised land. That being said, the actions of Harbaugh lead me to believe he wants to stretch out the passing game going forward. This isn’t any earthshaking condemnation of the guy, but he does need to start hitting on deeper passes to anyone not named VD. Mainy because quick defensive teams, like Minn, can crowd the LOS and keep the short passing game at bay.

Yeah what Chuck said.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Alex had a pretty good long passing connection with Antonio Bryant back in 2006. If we work at the deep game, I think it will get better. It’s the last piece of the puzzle here. If you do not work at something, you are not going to be good at it. By necessity, we kept the offense pretty vanilla last year because of the lockout. The deep pass is not a primary thing in Harbaugh’s offensive vision. It’s an extra feature. A “nice to have”. We’re only now starting to move beyond that. That is not particularly Alex’s fault. I’m inclined to be patient. Before the year, I said I would not criticize Alex until we had four games in the can. We’re there now, but my criticisms are strictly limited at the moment. NO QB has a great game every week. The last two weeks do not erase or negate the two excellent games Alex had to start the year. Let’s see how things look at the bye. My gut feeling is that Alex may finally sway the doubters this year. But the long passing game with its exquisite timing will take time. Let’s give him the month he needs to show what he can do, and revisit this then.

I also don’t agree with the notion that being enthusiastic, but realistic, about Kaepernick is a slam on Alex. His athleticism is impressive, and the guy was pretty productive in college. He has a huge amount to learn about being an NFL quarterback before he can run the offense as well as Alex, but he clearly has the potential to be special. Frankly, I’d rather have two good QBs, or three, on the roster, than none. We just won 34-0. It should be a time to feel good about the progress we’ve made. Not to have recriminations about who was a true believer before there was reason or evidence to believe.

• phil fan says:

There you go being reasonable and rational again, you rascal. Keep this shit up I’ll begin to doubt yer ‘grumpy cred’. But good points all around: long passing game will improve greatly with practice. So coaches gotta build a game plan to
        let this develop. None of this dink and dunk Viking baloney. Fangio, Roman, you hear us??

“Let’s see how things look at the bye. My gut feeling is that Alex may finally sway the doubters this year”. Right, if he hasn’t already started that process at 3-1 and 14-4. By the bye, the half way point in da season, we will have a better idea of progress made. And I, Phil, may be the last one to notice since the Bye falls on my 35th (+30) birthday, Nov 4th. So, I’ll be sober right? Wrong, The evah loving wife has a gigantic bash planned with her old frat/sorority gang bring their rock band up from the coast to our mansion in da sticks Saturday night fer a little partyin’. Thank yer freakin’ Gods there will be no commentary from fearless phil about a Niners game…

“I also don’t agree with the notion that being enthusiastic, but realistic, about Kaepernick is a slam on Alex. His athleticism is impressive, and the guy was pretty productive in college”. To say the least. Frankly we are blessed to have a coupla good QBs on the roster, been awhile. If we cling bitterly to the last big thing, Smith, Young, Montana, Brodie, Y.A. Tittle, Moses, we miss out on building the best Team we can have This year. If Kap pushes AS to glory in the post-season, ain’t that a good thing?

Correct answer: Yes it is.

10. twinfan1 says:

When you understand what a “make good” contract is, we’ll talk. There is no indication anywhere but in your heed that Harbaugh is anything but happy as hell with Smith or that he needs to be any betteethan be the guy who took then a fumble away from the Super Bowl..That;s just absurd.

Couple of things come to mind, they looked at replacing him, they gave him a lowball contract offer and left him hanging and available to other teams for an extended period of time, the contract he ended up signing is a mid level value for a starting QB oh and its only guaranteed for this year. Yeah overall I would say you show far more confidence in him than management did.

He needs to improve his game, I hope he does, you don’t agree, good for you.

• twinfan1 says:

Oh, there’s no doubt he got low balled, you’re confusing business and performance, however. And I’ll ask you also-don’t lie about my posts, I’ve never said he has no room for improvement….
        Someone in the national media said it, not me, that this is the only city in football where there would be any question at all about who the QB should be. Fact is, as soon as the team finally got respectable coaching, Smith took them within a scrub returner’s fuck ups of being in the Super Bowl.
        But you guys flame on Smith and jack off to a QB whe barely beat out two other scrubs for the 2 job..

I think you are the confused one, in the NFL performance = pay (business) lack of performance = lowball.
        I made 5 points above and you answered one then diverted the topic, why is that?
        Maybe I missed the post of you offering a critique of Smith, perhaps you want to point it out to me so I can see my lie?
        I have said repeatedly Smith deserves to start. That does not mean he deserves my undying affection, if he continues to improve he may earn however.

• twinfan1 says:

You do’nt dictate my responses. Ive been totally clear on where I stand on Smith,. If you don’t recall, look it up. But no, a low ball offer does not always reflect performance. The lock out had a lot to do with it, Smith’s oft stated desire to stay, the fact he had already renegotiated his original contract, much more. If you’re really saying his performance last year was subpar warranting a low ball offer, you are seriously delusional.There was some understandable caution about his performance- some were picking this team to go 7-9 this year…Don’t worry about Alex and the money he’ll make- he’s a smart guy, certainly smarter than the front office.,We won’t be having any benefits for Smith, he’s going to make a shit load of bucks- and unless you’re stupid enoufgh to think they won’t be in the playoffs this year, this will be his last low ball deal…

It’s not a matter of dictating, if you aren’t capable of an adequate response don’t pose a question. Cherry picking is the easiest way out. Smith got low balled and didn’t get any better offer from any other team because he is limited and therefore less valuable, market forces dictate his value. You can put all the lipstick on him you want but he is still no more than an average guy, hence the money. This oft repeated mantra of Smith got us almost to the bowl is a misnomer, the team did it despite having the QB who threw the least amount of passes in the league, with an awesome running game, defense and ST, he was a part of it not the driver.
        You like to insult people and name call a lot, condescending too. Where did you get the notion you are so far above everyone else in your arguments and opinions?

Scoring Challenge this week VS Buffalo Bills:

Chuck: 28-10 Niners. In their two losses to their AFC East rival Jets and Pats, they’ve given up 100 points. Does that mean we walk all over them? One would think. But then
    again, we should have beaten the Vikings.

Flavor: 41-6 Niners. “Buffalo is terrible. Niners 41 buffalo 6”

rtfirefly: 17-6 Niners. Phil: “Ya think RT’s gonna stick with 17-6?” RT: ” Yep. I roll with a winner… I almost had the first half score nailed again. Three games out of four”. phil fan says: There’s some logic buried in here somewhere!

Grumpy Guy: 24-20 Niners. Buffalo is terrible. Yes. But we’ll have a little letdown after last week. Not enough to lose, but it’ll be closer than we expect. 24-20, 49ers. Then Mad Scientist Jimbo pulls out all the stops for the Gigantes.

twin fan: 31-17 Niners. Buffalo is bad but they better get after Fitzpatrick.

That’s it fer the moment. Still waiting on 12th man, Del Mar, Winder, Nipper, phil, snarkk, etc

12. RTFirefly says:

Only Crabby could compare Alex to First Ballot HOF Peyton Manning.
    Don’t worry, Crabby. When the Niners DO win their 6th Super Bowl, I’ll be sure to send flowers to Alex’s career’s grave. Cuz he won’t be on the field.

• twinfan1 says:

What did I say about Peyton.,nimrod? Pay attention to my posts, don’t distort them, and you’ll be OK. Your idiotic nonsense about Super Bowls is even inaccurate, Peyton has suicked big Denny Dong in the post season- Alex probably *would* have the 6 Super bowls your feverished imagination thinks Manning has. with the teams Peyton’s had..11 tries? Shouldn’t there be a limit on how often a guy can embarass himself?

13. rtfirefly2 says:

“Miss Manning”? Or do you have wet brain, too?

14. rtfirefly2 says:

Keep painting, Crabby. I’m going to leave you in your corner for now.

• twinfan1 says:

Bug boy was another who wasn’t content to critique Smith’s performance- like many of the Insider posters, he made it personal. Endlessly.

15. Grumpy Guy says:

Personal. Yes. I can see how it is personal. Very clearly.

• twinfan1 says:

Maybe you didn’t pay attention to the outrageous attacks on Smith personally or maybe you particapated under a different screen name. So yes, those who did attack even his manhood and heart will be remembered for it. These people even attacked Lynch if he said anything positive at all about Smith. Here’s the deal, Grumpy: you people HATE it that Alex has perservered and become one of the best QBs in the league. But he has and is-you were wrong. I understand id you don’t want to say it to me- tell your neighbor or your hamster. You’ll be better for it.

• Grumpy Guy says:

We people?

I see.

• Grumpy Guy says:

You know nothing about me, Mike. Let’s keep it that way, okay?

• twinfan1 says:

Knock off the phony outrage. If I knew or gave a shit about your race, it would be an insult. As it is,”these people” just refers to those who piled the hate on Smith.
        All I know about you GG is a comment you made about one of my cancers, and that certainly made sure I never would care to know more about you.

Twin making friends again?

17. Grumpy Guy says:

Cross posted from Skeeber’s Cesspit:

Grumpy Guy Says:

September 17th, 2012 at 9:55 am

Berger – It’s not ALL the HC or offense. Some of it is, but not all.

Alex has been improving incrementally since the “We Want Carr” game. It’s happened slowly, and we did not immediately start winning, but he’s been a different guy since that night. It actually started under Mike Johnson, when Alex started tuning out Singletary, and playing to his strengths instead of trying to force balls into coverage.

You look at his accuracy now – balls hitting receivers more or less in stride much of the time – that was something he could not do three years ago. Some of that is Tom House, some of it is comfort level in the pocket. Some of it is gradually better pass blocking giving him the confidence that he does not have to just chuck it out ASAP. Compare to Stafford, who frankly looked horrendous at times last night.

Harbaugh certainly has helped, but I give Alex himself a lot of credit. He has turned his career around. Based off the first two games, I think he has a real shot at the Pro Bowl this year, whatever his stats are. If Troy Aikman did it with modest stats, so can he. He’s stealing Tebow’s slogan without the BS: “All I do is win.”

18. twinfan1 says:

Actually, I pointed out that his improvement began when Raye was canned. And I gave the numbers. I discussed it LAST year to deafening silence or disagreement here. Before last year it was all about Smith’s QB rating (weighted down by his rookie and injury years ) and HIS losing record, When his QB rating went up-it was deemed “misleading”, and when the team won- *they* won.
    Finally realizing that Alex deserves some credit is nice and I’m sure it will last until his next interception.

• philippinefan says:

Like many folks of late I’ve been a Smith fan since before I got here last year. Never could (still can’t) understand the irrational intense bias against the guy who had so many strikes against him as recounted endlessly. Things have changed in Ninerland and Alex has had a chance to grow and succeed. That said I’m also rooting fer Kaepernick to grow and help the team succeed.

19. twinfan1 says:

The first comment I ever made on Chuck’s blog was praising, Alex of course.Spitblood went postal and wanted to know where I lived. The rest of the crew didn’t have a problem with that or Denny’s personal attacks on Smith. No BFD but you can all put up with some forceful advocacy for Smith- the few of us who supported him from the start have put up with 7 years of lies and hatred towards him..
    Anyway, I’ve only posted here sporadically so we can all be happy. Maybe I’ll check in when he doesn’t have anything to do with them being in the playoffs, again.

Reposting these gems here in reply to Grumpy Guy who says:
    October 2, 2012 at 10:30 pm. (See Above…) Excellent analysis

let this develop. None of this dink and dunk Viking baloney. Fangio, Roman, you hear this??

Correct answer: Yes it is.

We are in the “finer tuning” area of Smith’s recent development as a QB. He is getting better and quicker at reacting, his accuracy is improving. His long ball game is weak and needs improving with in game attempts under real fire being the only way really. To date during his career Smith has won zilch, and has been statistically below average, which includes last year, so if there is doubt’s about him it at least has an 8 year foundation to it.

He goes from hero to goat on a weekly basis and his history plays a huge part in that. The “We love Alex” crowd and the “We always new he was awesome” crowd take any critique of his performance as bashing and over react badly, pointing out any success as the second coming of Joe, no doubt due to the barrage of criticism their hero has had his whole career.

The fact is he is playing well mostly and any Niner fan can only be happy about that or the fan credential card should be revoked, but that’s a far cry from waving pom poms at all things Alex. Now because Kap is sprinkled in and there is justified excitement each time he touches the ball there is an over defensive reaction with things like “he only ran a lot” as a basic retort.

I personally don’t care if Alex or Kap run it in, or score any other way, I just want to score. If playing Kap in situations improves our team do it. There is no doubt that the coaches want to see Kap in game action, as they should since he has tools Alex doesn’t. Why does that diminish Alex?

• phil fan says:

“Why does that diminish Alex?” Clearly it doesn’t. Maybe our boy Alex ‘hasn’t won a lot’ but he’s accomplished plenty: Him and Frank prolly accounted for 80% of whatever respectability this team has had on O for the past 5-6 years. It may seem like small potatoes now but shit we won the NFC West last year with him at QB. First time since …fer evah. Won a playoff game fer crysakes, First since like forever. Harbaugh comes along, Smith still here, suddenly we got hope for the future based on a great season. Won’t see that in the W-L but it is a great accomplishment.

Last year as a talented and rebounding flawed team he took us as far as we the Team could go. I wish the best for him and our boys this year as we all do.

Quit your whining,. Mike. I banned Spitblood, and I reprimanded Dennis offline. DMD’s pretty much toed the line since then.

Questioning the deep passing game isn’t abject hatred of Smith. It’s a legitimate concern. Most of us here feel that Smith HAS improved, and as Grump (and I) have been saying, it is being worked on right now, and due to the fact that Smith HAS a good rapport with VD on deeep routes, there’s no reason to think he can’t get more uin synch with Crabs and Manningham. Even Moss, although he seems to be checking out.

You seem to be holding on to old opinions of Alex, Mike. We’ve all moved past that.

And, the truth of the matter is, Smith will never have Brees number, or Rodgers numbers, or Brady numbers. The 49ers are a balanced offense. They don’t NEED Smith to throw 45-50 times a game. Like I said on Skeebs blog, those guys all say “Gee if we had Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Van Brocklin, we’d be champions.

ALL those teams are saying “Gee, I wish we had the 49ers running game.” The point being, this team is very close. Barring injuries, they should once again be right in the thick of the Super Bowl hunt. There are a million variables, but these guys have as good, a shot as any other team. Or better.

It’s pretty simple, Niners need to stretch the field and have had that need for years. If Kap is the designated field stretcher cool, If Smith can do it cool. A few shot plays a game opens the run and underneath pass more which is scary considering our run game. They held Gore down and still the team dropped 245 on the ground on them.
      Glad to see the coaches try it, even though the results were mixed the safeties had to respect it.

• phil fan says:

Excellent question that

• philippinefan says:

“Brees’ numbers haven’t changed from this year to last, but how about the Saints record?”

D Player of the Week. Very cool . ..

Bowman is right there too, add in Aldon and Brooks and they are probably the best LB corp in football.

Tell me something Chuck, does Bullit (under that name) not post here because he/she is banned?

No, he (along with berger) choose not to post here. the only one banned is Al Stinkle.

27. Grumpy Guy says:

Some people change their user name left and right. On every new blog, and even on the same blog.

Me? I’m Grumpy Guy. Just Grumpy. Always Grumpy, at least in the 49ers universe. There are one or two other permutations of grumpy used on the blogs, one of whom is on the Insider now, but grumpy guy, so far as i am able, is always me. I don’t feel the need to hide or play games.

I don’t see the point in pretending to be someone else, to me it’s a cowardly act. It’s not like any of this blog stuff is important so why go to such lengths? Speaks volumes about the character or lack thereof. I read your stuff on Grant Cohn blog sometimes, it’s the same guy. I’m not much of a fan of Grant’s writing but I like how he puts all the quotes up, saves time running around finding it on other blogs.

28. Grumpy Guy says:

Speaking of which, since it’s a slow day after last night’s psychotic venom binge, I’ll repost this here for shitz and giggles. My take on the top 20 49er players (in response to Grant’s top ten):

1. Justin Smith – All he does is eat double teams and make the defense work.

2. Aldon Smith – In a passing league, pass rush is so important. Aldon is the guy who limits what a QB can do against us.

3. NaVorro Bowman – This kid has very quickly become a monster. When people start saying PW might not be the team’s best ILB, you’re special.

4. Patrick Willis – Other great players have emerged on our defense, but this guy still has to be accounted for whether you are running or throwing.

5. Vernon Davis – Best athlete on the team, maybe the best blocker pound for pound, and best receiver. If our passing game gets more dynamic and he blocks les sin passing situations, he could move up.

6. Frank Gore – An old warrior but still a good one. his ability to carry the ball into the middle makes our offense go.

7. Andy Lee – Don’t laugh. In a ball control system, field position is everything. Lee is a HoF quality punter, if Canton ever decides to let them in.

8. Dashon Goldson – He has elevated his game so far this year. He is still prone to misdiagnosis and being fooled but it’s happening less and less. His pass defended Sunday was a thing of beauty.

9. Alex Smith – Indispensable because of his knowledge of the offense, his ball handling, and ability to play within JH’s system. CK has more raw talent but the “Game Manager” deserves more credit.

10. Mike Iupati – People still look at Staley as out O-line leader, but when was the alst time you heard anyone say anything bad about the Man-mountain? A roadgrader for the run, he is getting solid against the pass too now.

11. Ray McDonald – Benefits from great players around him, but he is no slouch.

12. Ahmad Brooks – Ditto.

13. David Akers – A 63 yard field goal shows his range. He had a bad game finally this season, but prior to that he was money over the last 20 or so.

14. Anthony Davis – Quietly is getting better and better. Should pass Joe Staley this year. Only question is, do you flip them?

15. Alex Boone – Again, where is the learning curve? He has been shockingly solid for a guy new to the position. Where would we be without him?

16. Chris Culliver – Grant is right, he is passing Rogers and T. Brown at CB and will soon be a standout.

17. Joe Staley – I’m not a fan at times, as I think he is overrated, but he is still a mostly solid tackle at one of the toughest positions in football.

18. Carlos Rogers – Very solid CB who matches up well with a stylistic range of receviers.

19. Colin Kapernick – Not yet a starter, but has tremendous weapon potential even playing in spot situations. Given the brutal nature of the NFL (Goodbye and Good Luck, Santonio Holmes), he is vital insurance as well.

20. Donte Whitner – Very solid strong safety. Not a star, but when your 20th freaking best player is this good, you have no business complaining!

In summation: Wow. What a team. The rest of the league can only look on this roster with envy.

“Psychotic venom binge” nice name for a punk band. Beats ‘food fight’ but then, hey I can’t throw the deep ball either.

Check ya later gotta run

Nice list Grump. Glad you reposted this here as I’m not following Grant C that close anymore since he prdicted a GB blow out of the Niners. Since you lay it out like that, yeah we got a lot of good players. I would flip Culliver and MacDonald but who’s quibbling?

Man, you asked ‘why do people post under deceptive/different names and not just stick with one?’ My take is it’s several things: cowardice yep that’s one. Also having been banned on a site the poster tries to get back in under a diffrent ID. Maybe he can get the last word in before the blogmeister catches on. Could also be some posters have built up a lot of ‘anti-fans’ on a blog and have been labeled as troublesome, irrational, hostile, ‘hater’, moron, etc. So a new screen name voila! no baggage, fresh start. But of course if all that changes is the screen name in short order the old patterns resurface and folks catch on. It’s a pretty juvenile tactic isn’t it?

Far better to stick with one (adult) persona, present one’s opinions as fairly and rationally as you can and own it if yer wrong or things change. Example: Winder answering twin with “Yeah I did that back then but I saw things change with Alex and the team so now I’m rooting for him too”. Boom, ovah. I mean adapting to changing realities is what we do every day as adults. No one is always right all the time. Jeeez…

BTW Bullit/reddog hasn’t really been a regular poster here at all- only seen him at skeeber’s back when

33. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Hilarious is how I can describe the mentality of some of you football “gurus”. Not a clue to what you’re talking about? Lowball offers are performance driven? Then whatsup with Dashon Goldson?

Goldson was offered decent money for a guy with 1 good statistical year, he tried free agency and came back without any offers. He is getting paid top 5 money (Franchise) this year. His next offer with the Niners or someone else will be top 5 also if he keeps playing at this level.

34. Grumpy Guy says:

It will be difficult to keep everyone going forward. We are running out of cap money. We have an option to exercise on Alex Smith next year, a contract to work out with Dashon Goldson, and a desire to lock up NaVorro Bowman for the long term. Just looking at the numbers, I am not seeing how we can make all that work. We are probably looking at some unhappy choices in the off-season.

I have the same thoughts. They do have some heavy hitting contracts that could get a rework to free some space but Goldson and Bowman will both demand top 5 money so it’s gonna be tough to do and if they franchise Goldson again it eats even more cap room than a long term deal.

• Grumpy Guy says:

We have an unnaturally loaded roster for a team in the 2012 cap-era NFL. At some point, losing quality players is going to be unavoidable. How we manage this process will determine our success over the coming decade. Baalke is a bright guy, but it’s going to be a bitch.

Same scenario with coaches, lot of talented guys on staff, it was a mild surprise they stayed together last year. Another good run this year will make it tough to keep them all.

Nice job Grump. Not much to quibble with on that list.

Not sure what your point is, Tommy. You think Goldson was lowballed? HE got on the bad side of the FO by turning down the 5/25 deal a couple years ago and tweeting his unhappiness. When no one wanted him, he came back for $2 mill. Duh.. Yeah, he had a great year last year, but he was franchised due to his own screwups. He again turned down another decent multi-year deal. I don’t think he stays after this season regardless of how well he does. He’ll be 29 next year, and giving a multi-year deal to a 29 year old safety isn’t high on their list of priorities.

Alex Smith? Same kind of thing. He’s guaranteed for this year only because of past history. Right or wrong, he’s proving himself yet again. I’m sure if they go all the way, or close to it, they’ll sweeten the deal. Or they will took to Cappy if things don’t go quite so well..

They are hedging their bets with both guys.

I agree Goldson is getting up in age Chuck but if not him who? We have some ok guys on roster but nobody jumps out at me as good enough which means free agency. Could be they sign a younger guy for less money but Goldson has shown pro bowl stuff again this year. It’s a tough one.

Didbn’t see your post, Grump. Like I said, Goldson will not be a priority after this season even as good as he’s playing. Bowman? Oh yeah. Baalke is trying to lock down key guys whenever possible, and Bowman is next. There is a lot of backup talent on this team. You have to wonder how long they can keep this up. Bellichick was able to do it for a while, but even there, they are slipping/losing guys to FA.

These next 3 years are huge for getting ring #6.

37. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

They will break the bank to keep Bowman. Instead of mocking Alex Smith for not going elsewhere
    and labelling him as an unwanted commodity I see him as the ultimate team player giving the Fortyniners a hometown discount for the third time. If you can’t see that you don’t see the big picture.

Not trying to get into an Alex Smith argument but Niners paid more for Alex this year than his only other offer from Miami, where’s the discount?

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

After leading the team to the playoffs and their best season in 15 years Alex had the leverage and a lot of people expected him to demand a Ryan Fitzpatrick contract, big money and multiple guaranteed years. Forytniners received a hometown discount for what he signed for. Greed was not a factor.

Well despite what a lot of people thought, or this leverage you thought he had, he got 2 offers and the Niners was higher by a million bucks.
        i think he had a pretty raw deal after his first contract, treated pretty badly, but his contract is what it is. I agree with Chuck they are in wait and see mode, if he does well enough they up the ante, if not it’s CK time.

38. Grumpy Guy says:

The thing is, riding the tiger only becomes harder down the line. This off-season you’re trying to lock up Bowman. But soon, you have to account for your young O-line guys who are playing very well now – Iupati, Davis and Boone. And Aldon Smith will be due for a big payday. Culliver is going to be an important piece down the line, he may already be passing our other CBs in coverage skills. You have to figure out about Brooks and McDonald. Kendall Hunter.

We will have to be very careful to keep as much quality as we can on the roster, without a return to late 1990s / early 2000s “Cap Hell”.

It’s a good problem to have Grump, better than the alternative and I agree Niners have a window of maybe 3 years, this year and next being the best talent wise so far.

I just got home from my other “home.” I made stops at Safeway, Target, my corner liquor store and intercepted two more Tony Romo passes along the way.

Grump, cap hell came about because of back-loaded FA deals for the most part. Policy/Clark were behind a lot of that. They skipped town before the dominoes fell. Who was the GB LB they signed? He sucked ass? Gabe Wilkins? Bob Wilkins? They picked up a lot of shit in the late 90s that they paid for dearly.

Tommy, Smith is what he is. I admire his guts and tenacity to try and make it work here in the face of unrelenting pressure these 7+ years here. I can’t believe he has stayed through all the turmoil and bullshit. That being said, he’s still on the clock.

I don’t get why people here think Smith is getting ‘hated’ or ‘bashed.’ Most people here have a fairly realistic view of the guy.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

After 2010 and being booed mercilessly I would’ve skipped Dodge just to tell those booing to shove it.

I’m positive he was going to and I don’t blame him. No off season gave him a no opportunity to plat elsewhere, lucky for,him in the end. He has flourished with Harbaugh and turned his career around.

Play

I’ve said before that strange and mysterious forces are keeping Alex here. Is it for some greater purpose than us mere mortals can understand? Or just a big cosmic joke?

I kid, but it has been a bizarre ride these 7+ seasons.

If not for the lockout, Smith was defintiely gone. Wearing that SD hat that fateful day in 2010 was the kicker. Harbaugh came in and basically grovelled at his feet. The impetus around that can be questioned, but truth be told there weren’t a hell of a lot of attractive options other than Alex. Plus he had the advantage of knowing the personnel. Smith has been labelled coach-killer, but here’s coach #3 tying his future to Alex. The difference being Harbaugh seems to be getting somewhere, though.

44. Grumpy Guy says:

Well, Harbaugh seems to have a clue about offense, and asks him to play to his strengths.

The last two guys: well.

Tommy, fans for the most part are knee-jerk idiots. I was at the Seattle game in Dec 2010 (Singls 2nd to last game) and Smith was pretty much on everyone’s shit list. The 1st play Smith threw an 8 yard out that VD dropped. Boos rain down. 2nd play the Niners try to run a screen but Seattle sniffs it out, and Smith throws it at Gore’s feet to avoid the 8 yard loss. More and louder boos. The guy next to me says,
    “Joe would have made that throw.”
    I said
    “Great, Joe would have lost 8 yards. Seattle read the screen and Smith avoided a big loss by throwing it into the ground.”
    The guy looked at me like I was from Mars. On 3rd and 10 Smith hit VD on a crossing route for a 64 yard TD. No more booing that day as Smith threw for 255 yards and 3 TDs.

• Grumpy Guy says:

One problem I think is, a lot of these numbnuts who talk about His Joeness being able to do anything never even saw the man.

He was the best QB ever, but he had his down days. 1982 was a fucking nightmare. The playoff game in 1986 was humiliating. The one in ’87 against Minnesota was one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever seen.

It takes a good QB, AND a superior team, AND a little something more. Sometimes it’s just not your day, no matter how good you are.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Joe and Steve both played a combined 26 years for the Fortyniners and have 5 Lombardi trophies to show for it. They both had their share of lousy games. As time goes on the legend keeps growing. Impossible to fill their shoes but then they failed in 21 of their years too. It is not that easy to win a Super Bowl. Ask Peyton Manning with his one and Tom Brady and his 9 year drought.
      People who use Joe and Steve to measure QBs are going to always be disappointed.

Bob Wilkins was awesome. I’ve had many conversations with Dennis about him. Met him once at some thing or another. Looong time ago.

Have not read all 123 commnents, but it seems that Alex Smith and his passing capabilities are still the hot topic of the years/months/days. Anyway. I agree with those that say the Coach Harbaugh is passing the ball just enough to keep the defenses honest. Other teams are still double and triple teaming Moss. As Long as that is going on and every so often Alex (unca) Chucks one down the field the Niners will be fine. And if Alex can see if and when a defense blows a coverage and leaves Randy one on one then all will be right in 49er land

Kevin, if yer the same Kevin, I posted that pic you emailed on Flav’s blog . . .

We have to shell out for our OL and our Defense cause no matter what it’s mostly won in the trenches. i can’t see em letting Bowman or Goldson go for at least the next 3 years. Some Safetys last quite awhile in this league. The person I would be most concerned about is J. Smith, no one beats the clock for long

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Bowman and Goldson want long term top dollar contracts. Bowman’s agent is Rosenhaus
      who is a greedy bastard. Hard choices have to be made, and my gut is it’ll be letting Goldson go and moving Chris Culliver to FS or drafting a replacement.

J.Smith worries me too, what’s left in the tank and for how long. He is probably the guy we can least afford to lose. Niners have a ton of picks next year so they have some options.

Remember the old “Beat the Clock” game show? Not too shabby. It’s fun to watch people try and perform under pressure with the clock ticking. Kind of like football.

The next draft will likely focus on DL and safety. I’ve said since they drafted him that Culliver will eventually end up at FS. He’s doing a very good jab as CB, but a lot will be determined by what goes on this offseason. The thing Baalke and Harbaugh emphasize is flexibility. Goldson will likely be a luxury thet can’t afford.

I’m still drinking my Bud Light out of these Raider cans. It’s a goddamn miracle how I haven’t been struck down by lighting just yet.

How many cases you got?

More Bud cases than O.J. had defense attorneys. Let’s see, he had Bob Shapiro, Johnnie C., Kardashian, Barry Scheck, Dershowitz and my very favorite, F. Lee Bailey. F. Lee was fucking money. He was a shyster, but money nonetheless.

I wasn’t around here yesterday, but do you know what Wednesday was? It was the 17th year anniversary of O.J. being found not guilty of double murder.

“Only in America!”

Was Smith low-balled? Yep, sez so right here:

Alex Smith: No. 7 in passer rating, No. 20 in salary

Alex Smith currently ranks seventh among his fellow quarterbacks in passer rating (98.1) but 20th in salary. In fact, the only quarterbacks earning less this year than Smith either are backups or starters who are playing on their original rookie deals. Here are the 19 ahead of him:

1. Drew Brees — $20M
    15. Tony Romo — $11.3M
    16. Matt Ryan — $11.3M
    17. Carson Palmer — $10.8M
    18. Ryan Fitzpatrick — $9.8M
    19. Matt Cassel — $9.7M
    20. Alex Smith — $8M

Beerows reports: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/alex-smith-no-7-in-passer-rating-no-20-in-salary.html

Nice find Phil

Same when a lady buys a dress off the rack as with Alex Smith and his salary…You get what you pay for…

Give or take the actual year of their contract and signing bonus etc the list is what you would expect, better more proven players at the top, lesser guys at the bottom. 3 anomolies that stand out to me are Smith is outplaying that contract and Cutler and Sanchize are under performing their’s.

• phil fan says:

Agree. Niners FO did ‘the smart thing’ and paid him market price for this year. But he’s worth more in my view. Guess the Baalkebaugh brain trust is going to evaluate his performance in current season and make an adjustment to the option money if ‘necessary’ = AS excels or the team does. FO seems to be showing good faith to Alex and guys like Frank who got an extension late in his career. I think they’re happy with Alex to this point so we’ll see how it goes.

Melissa Stark needs to eat a goddamn cheeseburger. Is she trying to emulate the Duchess of Cambridge? And that red dress of hers tonight is too tight and looks off the rack. Give Donna Karan a call.

I wish I could void my draft pick of Steven Jackson to my fantasy team this year — He sucks!

I figured Jeff Fisher coming to the Rams and it would be the old “Ground and Pound” with Jackson getting 20-25 carries/gm. Jack got old and very slow big time. 20-25 carries a game? Shit. Jackson’s so slow if he went trick-or-treating to 20-25 houses on Halloween, he wouldn’t make it back to Thanksgiving.

something about the magic number, it comes true time and again. I expected Hunter to grab the reigns this year but amazingly Gore is still pounding out the yards.

Just for the record, I think the Rams win tonight. Cards are due for a little letdown after last weekend. Their numbers and stats don’t add up to 4-0.

I agree but can’t bring myself to say it those words.

I picked the Rams + 1 1/2 and s/u in my pool. Looking good so far. But it’s early. It’s also time for another drink. Bartender!

TD Rams! So much for Fisher and “Ground and Pound.” Bradford came out winging. For those of you who know me from the old days at the Insider at the Gate, how long have I been saying…

THROW THE GODDAMN BALL!!!

Save the Boobies month again.

I have Ryan Williams on a few FB teams. I agree with Mayock’s point about his struggles being more on the OL than on Ryan himself. Williams was lightning at Va Tech. And as we all know injury derailed him last year. Still think he shows some stuff this year…

Has the O line got Kolb knocked out of the game yet? I figured Chris long would have him for lunch.

Nice catch there Michael Floyd. NOT! POS from ND was the 13th overall pick. I despise ND just about as much as I loathe the Raiders. Both those teams give me anxiety and agita which only contribute to my already problematic drinking problem.

I think Chuck just p/u that Rams PK, Zuerlein, who made another FG from > 50 yds. Fuck that. Who is that goddamn Kraut? Hooogan?

Will you settle for the head of Kevin Kolb first? Followed by a Fitzpatrick chaser?

Go Rams, ugh that is hard to say…

FUCK! I didn’t move Zuerlien off my bench. Not as bad as not moving Gore, but, FUCK!

Are you serious? Yep. I just checked. Z is on your bench. You have to remember, every time you p/u a player either by the WW or FA, he goes directly to your bench.

If those missed pts. cost you a W this week, what can I say? I know what Ted Striker would say…

I ain’t used to this thursday night football shit.

Updating Scoring Challenge this week VS Buffalo Bills as this is a looong thread:

again, we should have beaten the Vikings. Bring me the head of Buffalo Bill.

Flavor: 41-6 Niners. “Buffalo is terrible. Niners 41 buffalo 6″

twin fan: 31-17 Niners. Buffalo is bad but they better get after Fitzpatrick.

Winder: 30-13 Niners. I love our running game but I would like to see more of an aerial attack. I guess I really want to see Alex smoke em through the air. I think it would do the organization a good service. I think we handle Buffalo without too much trouble.

12th man: I’m feeling 24-10 Niners, saving something in the gas tank for the Giants.

Phil: 27-14 Niners. Moss gets his first TD along with Hunter and Manningham. Akers X2. D comes to play again. The head of Fitzpatrick is delivered to Herod on a silver platter.

66. Chico says:

Can’t tell if both these teams have good D, or horrible O. Go Rams for our sake.

Rams are sacking Kolb like groceries at Safeway

• philippinefan says:

Ya know I figured out it’s Firefucks been screwin’ with my posts. See below at 1:13AM. Motherfuckers

Kolb is getting sacked like a bunch of groceries at Safeway

69. Yeah it’s hard to root for the Rams but I’ll make an exception today

TD Rams! 17-3. Game over, man.

Game may be over, but I’m still putting the finishing bites on my Red Onion bacon cheeseburger with their famous beer battered onion rings.

What’s for dessert?

72. Chico says:

Ouch. What a hit.

4th and goal and they throw a short slant to Fitz at the 4 yd line and expect him to beat THREE defenders and break all their tackles and take it into the end zone?

Mooks.

4th and 6. 3 yard pass? Brilliant.

looks safe enough to repost this diddy from Sept 30th…
    Flavor says:
    September 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    I couldn’t give a single fuck about Arizona or their 4-0 record. Remember when Denny was squawkin’ about how the Dodgers were running away with the NL West back in May? St. Louis will beat Arizona this week……

Didn’t catch the last line at the time. Good call. AZ is lucky. Neither Kolb or SKelton are very good and they can’t run. They do have a stout D and ST is pretty good.though.

Fuck my reverse jinx call with the Dodgers. Is Bochy seriously considering carrying 12 pitchers AND three catchers with the third and final being NO Whitey to play the Reds?

If he does, two things: 1) we DESERVE to lose and 2) Go Dusty!

• philippinefan says:

Nice call flavor

Kolb sucks. He had Fitz wide open on that hot read when the Rams blitzed and sacked him once again. Not impressed by either of these teams. Still think Seattle will end up being our main competitor. But they still need to get their QB situation down right. If their rook, Wilson, doesn’t turn it around Sunday vs the Panthers (which he should) they’ll probably hand over the reigns to the drunk Irish Mick, Flynn.

drunk irish mick. Triple redundancy there, Dennis.If Sea starts the QB wheel of ofrtune, they’ll be in trouble.

Triple redundancy? WTF do you expect coming from a drunk, Irish mick like myself? WTF do you expect coming from a drunk, Irish mick like myself? WTF do you expect coming from a drunk, Irish mick like myself?

Here’s some final numbers…282 yards for Cardinals, 243 for Rams.

That’s pathetic. Then again, that’s TWO weeks worth of passing yds for Alex Smith.

• philippinefan says:

Point well taken. However those two are 1-1 after this Pig Bowl (hat tip to SacBee, Sac County Sheriff’s dept and the City of Sacramento Police Dept, ‘Pig Bowl’ get it?) and the mighty squad of one Alex Smith would likely be 2-0. This Chuck got right, right?

Just a thought

Well that went the Niner way, good chance to be back on top of the division Sunday. Arizona ain’t all that.

Help me out here fellas…just watching the postgame with Eldridge and Laurinitis talkin’ to Deion and the crew…WTF is up with all the tattoos? I just don’t get it. Enough of the goddamn ink already.

Chuck, if you’re going to continue to run the Alex vs Peyton stats, I, and everyone else would appreciate if they were correct. I believe you have Alex’s numbers correct, but Manning should read: 99/153 for 1,162 yds. 64.7% and a rating of 96.9

• philippinefan says:

It’s Greek to me so I too would appreciate accurate stats so I can confidently continue to be confused

81. philippinefan says:

It’s pushing 1AM over yer way (4PM heah) so I know no one is listening. Perfect time to say much about damn little:

See, I’ve fallen into the logical habit of blaming ‘WordPiss’ fer not posting all my incredible posts. Tragically. Because I AM the true candidate of ‘hope n change’…those bastards. So here’s what I think: actually it’s NOT obamas fault -I mean WordPissy’s- it’s been revealed to me that the fault lays not with him- I mean WordPiss- (bastards) but with FireFucks, my goddamn freakin’ browser!

How so? Simple. Thanks to that towering motherfucking asshole SKEEBERS I’ve had to load up my default browser, Firefox, with layers of anti-spam, virus protection, condoms, anti-script utilities, and relics of the Virgin Mary, to keep his Pinocchio fuckin’ nose outta my ass. Hey buttwads you like his nose up yer ass? Not my prollem.

Heed my words a wizdom children: The fault lies not with wordpiss but with the control freaking blind sider Skkefuck.

Or something like that.

(reaches fer another Benmore/Red Hose combo)

• philippinefan says:

Above posted on Google Chrome fer what it’s worth. Six pesos right?

Hey, Phil. Why don’t you tell us how you really about Skeebers?

“feel” It’s only a little past 8:30 in the morning, and I’m already omitting entire words in my posts. It’s going to be one of those days…

• philippinefan says:

Yeah I thought about really lettin’ ya know but backed off at the last minute

Fuck the Rams and the Cardinals, i mostly enjoyed this game because they beat the shit out of each other. Fuck Seattle too.

New thread is up . . .