Surely, You J-E-S-T Jest Jest Jest . . .

Well, there you go. A shutout on the road, no matter who you snuff, is pretty good. The Niners came into Joisey and played very well. 200+ rushing, no picks, and a stifling defense demoralized and obliterated a very weak New York Jets team. 34-0 wasn’t even a true indication of what the score should have been. David (Wade Richey) Akers missed 2 FGs, and Cappy Capperson took a knee on the 2 yard line to close out the game (classy move BTW. No needless KO or additional plays to run. Just kill the clock). So, it could have been 50.

Encouraging to me was the fact that Manningham had a very good day. Smith and Crabs didn’t connect as much as I would have liked, but the game plan worked. Sending WRs on deeper routes opened up the running lanes. Even if they didn’t connect as much as they would have liked, the strategy was sound, and it spread the Jets defense out for Gore and co to run rampant. The pisser in the Minn game is how everything was too close to the LOS to open up the underneath passing routes, or to open up the run game. Lesson learned. The D came off one of it’s worst performances in the recent past to pitch a shutout. The Jets 1st drive was their best all day, and it netted them 24 yards.

Buffalo is next. At the muddy confines. If the Jets can plant 48 on these guys, and 0 on us, does that mean we score 96?

49 Responses to Surely, You J-E-S-T Jest Jest Jest . . .

1. barleyfreak says:

Yeah — glad to see Super Mario getting the rock. I almost feel sorry for Jets fans. Almost. God Sanchez sucks. I’m glad to see CK get some action. Clever and effective use so far. I finally got to see a deep bomb. But I did think it weird that it came from CK, other than Smith. I know Smith can’t huck it as far, but it was almost an “ok let’s throw it deep, but since Smith can’t, we’ll bring in Kappy”. I get the feeling we’ll see a lot more of CK before the end of the season than many thought prior to.

• twinfan1 says:

They had some special packages because it was the Jets. Harbaugh is nothing if not devious. it was a case of spitting on the Jets 2nd QB. But Kappy isn’t even close to Alex yet as a QB.

I like the way Mario plays and he is showing dependability although his effort on one Smith throw wasn’t great, I think he lost sight of the ball.

2. twinfan1 says:

Actually, Frank was held in check pretty much. Hunter, Kapperbow, and the gimmicks did the damage on the ground. But your overall point is welll taken. And you know, just seeing Kap run vs. watching T-Blow, it’s man vs. boy. And did you all catch Sanchezes’ line yesterday? If/when T-Blow takes over, that’ll be a *good* line…

Fan, Kapperbow is a bit of a slur. Kap is far and away a more complete QB than Tebow who is a glorified RB/TE pretending to be a QB.
      Kap has real QB skills and the clock is ticking now for Smith unless we win the SB with him at QB.

• twinfan1 says:

Actually, I’ve said that Kap is much better than T-Blow, many times, But don’t be pushing Smith out quite yet,. You folks have been doing that since 2005 and you ain’t been right yet.

3. twinfan1 says:

Denny now says the road to the Super Bowl goes through Atlanta and Matt Ryan. Where are the folks with the postseason comparisons?
    Ryan 0-3 3 TD 4 INT 71.2 QB rating 5.31 YPA
    Smith 1-1 5 TD 0 INT 101.QB rating 7.28 YPA

I don’t think the Falcons will keep up this level of play through the playoffs, but comparisons to prior seasons like this mean nothing, look at NO at 0-4, it’s meaningless.

When it comes to playoff failure, the past is relevant. Romo will forever be haunted by the choke jobs he’s done in the postseason.

Yeah I give you that one, there is always an exception to the rule and Romo has choked each and every time he has had an opportunity. Team wise each year has it’s own character, even with an almost complete carry over of guys on D it is different this year than last for the Niners for example.

• twinfan1 says:

One of the Room B denizens here likes to to do that comparison with T-Blow. and Smith, pal.

• twinfan1 says:

Ryan’s failures in the postseason are epic and completely relevant. As is Smith’s status as the architect of what’s been acknowledged as the greatest 4th quarter comeback in playoff history. He also had a better a QB rating than Manning in the title game.

Ryan has been a playoff flop so far. Almost as hopeless as Tony Romo. The NFC looks a bit weaker with Green Bay, NY, and the Saints all doing their versions of meltdowns. The Cards and Minn are surprises so far. I ain’t buying AZ. Yet. Sea and the Lambs are sleepers at this point.
    In 2 years, the NFC West seems to be the class of the NFC.

Buffalo is terrible.
    Niners 41 buffalo 6

6. philippinefan says:

Ya think RT’s gonna stick with 17-6?

7. Grumpy Guy says:

Buffalo is terrible. Yes. But we’ll have a little letdown after last week. Not enough to lose, but it’ll be closer than we expect. 24-20, 49ers, and the “beat Alex Smith With a Small Stick” trend continues on the blogs one more week.

Then Mad Scientist Jimbo pulls out all the stops for the Gigantes.

I don’t think we’ll let down at home. This is game 5, and only our 2nd homie. Buffalo will be a methodical 31-10 mowing of the Bills. The D got their wake-up call, and Spiller should get beat into submission early on. I think this one is a standard beat-down. No Cappy, no weirdness needed. The only reason Cappy got into yesterday’s game, in my humble opinion, was to show NY that our Cappy beats their Tebow hands down.

And I agree, Grump. We will see a lot more of Cappy in the Giants game. He’s perfectly suited for their overaggressiveness.

Interesting game tonight. 2 notoriously underachieving QBs and teams get to go after each other.

i read on the last thread that I was closest to the final score. I will take that. That’s my first victory in Phil’s *Guess the Score* game……..

• phil fan says:

Sounds good Flav. I had to laugh when I saw yer call but it beat my stinker all to hell, turns out.

Now I see Grump has grabbed my 24-20 call of last week for da Bills. Hmmm, gonna have to ah, ponder, this one fer a minute.

10. Grumpy Guy says:

If Alex is any kind of competitor, he’s had a belly full of “Eli Manning is elite and you’re not.” He ought to be chomping at the bit to prove otherwise in two weeks. Kaep may get some chances to do his voodoo, but I want to see if Alex rises to the occasion.

• twinfan1 says:

He has, time and again. Kap is still a specialty item. One long toss into triple coverage and the running we knew he could do and he’s the next “all that.”

Romo’s missing some wide open guys.

He hit the DB though. Awesome,

Hahahahahaha. That second pick 6 was funny. Dennis, you gotta pick another QB. Try Tannehill, he’s a good young QB on a rotten team.
    Last season, Romo threw 2 pick 6’s in the second half to help blow the Lions game they led 28-3.

Not watching this game but just checked the box score. Fucking LOVE that Pro-Mo-Homo has 4 picks tonight. Ha, Dennis, what you know about football and especially quarterbacks, you could stuff in a fucking thimble……

15. twinfan1 says:

Buffalo is bad but they better get after Fitzpatrick. 31-17.

No one’s biting on 96-0?

OK, a little far fetched.

I’ll go with 28-10.

I think Harbaugh learned from last year’s blasting of the Bucs and Morgan was lost in garbage time. This ain’t the PAC-10 or 12 or whatever. That really hurt us down the line. So he’s asking Kap to slide rather than score and prolong the agony. He admitted this after the game….just end it and get out with no injuries. Last year not so much…

It was a great call to not score. And yeah, Harbaugh did learn form that mistake last year. Add the fact that you don’t have to put the defense and special teams out there needlessly makes it even better.

NEW Thread is up . . .