Going Forward With Alex

Apropos of nothing, that sure was an interesting game last night. All is right in pundit-land, and the world is safe for casual football fans now that Green Bay has destroyed the wannabe contenders, the Chicago Bears. You know, the team that gave away 2 1st round picks, and Kyle Ortron, for the services of one Jay Cutler. The guy that threw 4 picks last night. Sure, he was under massive pressure, but you look at a guy like Cutler, and a guy like Alex Smith, who gets 1/10 the national press that Cutler gets, and you see the disparity in reality where it comes to quarterbacking in the National Football League.  At least as of now.

Cutler is the gunslinging mad man who takes too many risks, and more often than not shoots himself in the foot while trying to lead his team to victory. He whines to the press, to his coaches, and to anyone who will listen about his misfortunes while Smith is the methodical plodder who moves the team downfield and gets some kind of points at the risk of throwing a pick. Cutler had the luck to start out with a coaching staff that was QB-friendly with Shanahan and Dennison. His 2 full seasons in Denver garnered a ton of yards and 45 TDs, but throw in the 32 picks, and you have a problem with finishing games.  Smith on the other hand has had a harrowing journey to respectability in his NFL. As of now, he’s still considered a game manager. He gets a little bit of credit for the GB win. Seeing how GB’s defense did against Cutler and Co. it gives me the thought that maybe Smithis better than the game manager he’s made out to be.

In the end, it’s all bullshit as Smith isn’t a media hound, and he goes about his business of leading the team quietly and effectively. Sure, it’s early, and sure, one of the knocks on Alex is consistency, but as of now, he seems to have a firm grasp of the concept that risking a turnover is much worse than taking the sack. Leading the team to any kind of points is better than throwing the needless pick. Even with that thought, last week’s game had to be a revelation for Smith, seeing as he threw 15 passes to his wideouts. Folks gain. poo-pooed his relatively paltry numbers, (211 passing yards), but the truth of the matter is, this team runs the ball very well. To go away from that would be monumentally stupid. Most teams out there would love to have the balance the Niners regularly show. 211 passing and 189 rushing? What’s not to like?

Oh, I get it. Fans these days are caught up in the fantasy football mindset. You have to put up gaudy numbers like Brees, Rodgers, and company. Funny, that. Rodgers is about the ONLY thing keeping Green Bay on the map. Green Bay WANTS to run, but the CAN’T. Well, not against us. They did OK vs the Bears. 109 ain’t great, but what did Rodgers do? A whopping 219. New England WANTS to run, and well, they did last week. If they can keep that up, Brady’s numbers won’t be so gaudy. But the team will be better for it. If Smith can consistently be around the 250 mark, and the run game gets around 175, this team will win the super bowl.

82 Responses to Going Forward With Alex

If anything, the Chicago showing told me that:

a) The 49er offense is better than a lot of people think
    b) chicago and beat lousy teams (Indy), but struggles with good teams.

Then again. playing on a Thrusday is a real pain in the ass. If they are going to insist on Thursday games, they should tie them in with the bye week so teams don’t have to play on 3 days’ rest.

Solid post Chuck. I like a lot of what Grumpy has been putting up lately too.

Yeah, Grump’s pretty much right-on most of the time. Fricking Bullit is up to his usual whining about the usual crap.

4. Grumpy Guy says:

Oh for Christ’s Sake, cut out the ass kissing. This is supposed to be the Land of Psychotic Venom! Let’s talk about bullit instead…. 🙂

Ahhh fuck off, Grumpy. Quit living up to your name!

It IS fun to rattle his cage. Kinda like what Stinkle does to me . . . Al’s a lost cause, however. . .

What happened to red dog Chuck, you boot him?

Nope. He went away of his own accord. It was obviously Bullit. He got here and went ballistic toward you and then everyone else. Skeebs verified it.

Too funny.

Yeah it didnt take too much thought to figure it out. Whatever, but I don’t really get the need to hide behind a fake I.D. to take cheap shots at people. I mean who really cares, its a blog not a senate hearing. People are strange sometimes.

Nice post Chuck, yep, the Alex haters will always point to something that Smith didn’t do or whatever. They also were the ones that always said it doesn’t matter who the coach was it was all Smiths fault for the losing. What I want to know is what they are going to say when Smith is named MVP of the 2013 SB?

Kevin, Smith is not and never will be a great QB, the question has always been will he be good enough. Until last year there was no doubt, he didn’t make the grade. Harbaugh structured an offense tailor made for Smith and he was more than adequate in it. The bigger question is would Smith build on last year. Based on the GB game there is no doubt he did and he is now in control of the offense for the first time since he became a Niner. Will he be consistent? I believe he will and I am by no means an apologist for Smith. The fact is the guy has earned his place, so roll on the playoffs. Will he be MVP of a Superbowl? Highly unlikely, but good enough to win one with this team? I think he is.

Alex will become Dennis fav. player.

• 12th Man says:

Nipper. Dennis, much like Stinkblood need to evaluate Smith now, not for the last 7 seasons cause he ain’t the same guy.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Dennis would love it if Alex won it all here. He is just one of those guys who is afraid to believe because he does not want to deal with the disappointment if we fall short. He’ll be cynical here, but when we lose in the playoffs, no one takes it any harder than he does.

• phil fan says:

True Alex is not the same guy, he’s more of who he can be/always was. The Niners org has had a serious brain transplant and upgrade. No QB, Rodgers or anyone else woulda been a winnah with the shit for brains we had running the show- Since Mariucci was coaching.

I like watching some of those TV49 clips, I enjoy seeing all the new young 49er fans out there. It does my heart good to see school age Niner fans being loud and acting like fools, it makes me know the organization is in good hands and will carry on for years to come. I felt the same way in 2010 when it seemed that young SF Giant fans came out of the woodwork. Get em when they are young and hook em for life. And what a good life it is.
    Nice commentary on Smith Unca. He is tough as nails.

We’ll see Kevin. 15 passes to WRs was very enciuraging though.

If I have to watch one more commercial with Joe Theismann telling me about his shitty prostate, I’m gonna go rip out mine with a rusty set of pliers.

13. barleyfreak says:

Well don’t get a swelled head chuck, but that is a good post. I have been guilty at times of being swept up by the Pass-O-Mania in the modern NFL. But it’s all about winning. Stats be damned. Smith HAS improved and if he continues, with some injury free breaks and a lucky bounce or two, an SB win is totally possible, and maybe even probable. Anyone complaining at that point needs to STFU.

And Cutler? I’ve always thought he’s a loser.

Dragging this forward with some updates. Anyone else? Sando on the NFC West blog @ ESPN and G. Cohn are both calling for a Niner win. Getting some love in the media. Should be a great day at the Stick, wish I could be there after the great start to the season.

Scoring Challenge:

Chuck: 31-17 Niners. “You are awesome at yapping to the press. Unfortuately for you, the game is played on the field. Niners win it going away.”

Phil: 30-20 Niners: “With our new offensive weapons and stout OL I think we score 30 again and give up no more than 20.”

12th man: “30-17 Niners, 2 TD, 3 FG and a pick 6 and conversion, how’s that for a team win”!

Grumpy Guy: 31-13 Niners. “I think we crush the kitties”.

rtfirefly: 16-7 Niners. “Defense. Special Teams. Ball Control. Turnovers. I’m gonna keep this up all season”.

Del Mar seems to be missing in action. Hopefully has a change of heart since the Niners are now very competitive.

Change of heart? Shit. My heart’s been in the same place since I attended my first Niner game (Brodie’s last vs Pittsburgh) back in ’73. I could be wrong, but I believe Brodie’s last pass was and INT. He threw two that day. Even having a shitter day was my favorite Niner QB, Steve Spurrier. I looked up the box score. #11 was 1 of 9 for 3 yds and an INT vs the Steelers. That’s a #11-type performance alright.

• phil fan says:

barleyfreaks: 30-24 Niners, “Yeah, poor widdle Jimmy couldn’t handle Jimbo’s Manshake. Hilarious. JH is going to school the twirp”.

Del Mar: 30-20 Lions. “”Jim Schwartz will do his damnedest to drink Jim Harbaugh’s milkshake. “I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!” There will be blood!””

Flavor: 41-6 “Niners blow out Detroit tomorrow”

WOW

15. barleyfreak says:

30-24, Niners.

Prediction? I picked us to lose last week vs Green Bay. We all know how that turned out. If you think my superstitious ass is going to change now, you don’t know me very well. There will be no “Amok Time” (one of the greatest Star Trek episodes of all time) Sunday night with any handshake. However, Jim Schwartz will do his damnedest to drink Jim Harbaugh’s milkshake. “I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!”

Daniel Plainview (Jim Schwartz) 30. Eli Sunday (Jim Harbaugh) 20. There will be blood!

Speaking of Daniel Day-Lewis, the finest male actor of his generation (IMHO). His next starring role as “Lincoln,” which debuts November 9, has Oscar written all over it. Directed by Steven Spielberg, this film will be odds-on for Best Picture, and for Daniel to win his his third Best Actor Oscar.

This film may very well get my ass out to go see it in the theaters. Coming from me that’s saying something. I don’t get out as much as I’d like anymore. But I think I’ll make a special effort for this motion picture. Winner.

I took the Niners going 14-2 this year and now I’m kinda bummed I didn’t go 15-1 ((since I picked them to lose last week I couldn’t have had them go 16-0).
    But when you roll into GB and basically destroy them on both sides of the ball (and even the most pessimistic fan could see that the refs totally fucked them ultimately letting GB score enough pts to make it *look* like it was a game) you can beat any team anywhere in whatever way you choose to beat them.
    Niners blow out Detroit tomorrow 41-6……..

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah they can win any game on the schedule, but they’ll probably have a few down days. And then there is the injury factor. We’ll have a good record and go to the playoffs in any event. Then its just about being healthy and peaking at the right time.

• Flavor says:

they’re pretty deep, too so I’m not going to sweat injuries unless it’s just a deluge of them…….
        I’m excited to watch what this defense does going forward. To completely disarm the Pack in their own house, you have to be outstanding……

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah we are deep. But there are certain pieces you REALLY don’t want to lose. Clearly, Justin Smith or Aldon. Probably a few more. Lose any CB and Tremaine Brock is back out there. He is a good ST player; not so reliable at CB.

To go all the way you need to be good, and you need to be lucky. I think we have number one covered. We’ll have to see about number two.

Any pithy comments left?

If any of you mooks can come up with them, which I highly doubt. Please make them short and pithy when you write to my good friend Bill O’Reilly.

You want short and pithy? I’ll give ya short and pithy…
      Alex Smith continues to suck the sweat off of Chef’s chocolate salty balls.

You ever wonder how Frankenstein’s monster felt when the villagers chased him out of town with their pitchforks and torches?

I have to believe it was similar to how Alex Smith felt when the 49ers were just “evaluating” Peyton Manning this offseason. Alex got poked, prodded and singed all the way on a plane to Miami. But instead of dying in a fiery smoke-filled windmill, Alex came back on the plane. Instead, it was I, Dennis, who got hit in the head by the crossbeam and knocked senseless.

That’s not the way I wanted the story to end. I have a bone to pick with Mary Shelley.

If any of you are wondering or more to the point, giving a rat’s ass about my “Frankenstein” references, it’s because I’m currently watching the “Bride of Frankenstein” on MeTV. That is the one sequel that I can say unequivocally is better than the original. I know many like to put “Godfather II” and “The Empire Strikes Back” above their predecessors, but I can’t do it. Equal? Maybe so, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go.

You have any sequels that you think are better than the original?
    I’d love to hear ’em and your reasoning why.

I have one that hasn’t even been made yet. It stars the 49ers and the QB who replaces Alex Smith. 😀

22. reddog says:

The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. Why? Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Can’t argue with either of those choices. What made “Aliens” so great (IMHO) was the transformation of the android character (Ash/Bishop) from “bad guy” to “good guy” in the films.

And it goes without saying about Heath Ledger’s performance. That was beyond reproach. Well deserved Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

And I always think of this clip from “Aliens” when the 49er game ends. What am I gonna do now?

• reddog says:

Yeah always have the negative guy on the team. Bill Paxton is a very underrated actor. Very decent in True Lies.

Still lots of football to be played this morning, but the Saints and G-Men are staring 0-2 in the fucking eye. If you recall, I had neither making the playoffs in my preseason predictions.

That and $3 will get me a 10 lb. bag of Jonny Cat litter for Frank.

The new “refs” might like to call a penalty once in awhile. After the fight, they called offsetting penalties. Then the WRs and DBs starting fighting on every play, changing the game. Oh well. I went to a fight and saw a football game. Ravens 17 Eagles 14. I guess the NFL thought the game was boring. Maybe they’re right, but some players won’t last half the season.

27. rtfirefly2 says:

What a catch by DeSean Jackson (from Cal!!) from Michael Vick doing what he’s supposed to do. Killing my Baltimore D.
    Next play Ray Lewis, ball “magically goes to Ed Reed”. You guys will have to comment on the Niner game. I’ll watch. I’m bloody exhausted already.

28. rtfirefly2 says:

Fricking Harbaugh football. LOLOL

29. rtfirefly2 says:

“He’ll take hisin and beat yourin. Or he’ll take yourin and his hisin.” – Bum Phillips on Don Shula

30. rtfirefly2 says:

“beat hisin”. LOL Chuck, what’s the difference, did you understand it?

31. rtfirefly2 says:

“I’m assuming he threw his beanbag because he couldn’t find his flag.” I can’t wait for the Lions.

32. rtfirefly2 says:

A 47 yarder to match his 56 yarder earlier. I’m assuming John is pissed at Jim.

Zona beats NE in one of the wierdest endings to a game.

34. rtfirefly2 says:

Refs called roughing the passer when the replays showed PI so obvious it wasn’t funny. Flacco would’ve put the game away on that one. Now Vick is on the brink.
    I’m not betting anything with these refs.

Giants in a nailbitter win over TB

36. rtfirefly2 says:

Oh, after the commercials they decided it wasn’t the 2 minute warning after all. This is going to be a real joke if this keeps up. Now it’s the 2nd 4th quarter 2 minute warning.

Eli threw for 510 yds today. Why do teams still bother with the run?

Fucking Puppy Killer just put Philly up with under 2 mins to go.
    If I were judge, jury and execution. I would have killed that worthless POS years ago with my own bare hands. I hope I see him in hell.

39. rtfirefly2 says:

I’ve seen Pop Warner refs better than the guys in this game, Dennis.
    Michael offered me my old QB two weeks ago but I refused. Peyton. It’s the principle of the thing.
    Eli killed my Coyotes today. So did Andrew Luck.
    Next up, the Coyotes RG III. Peyton tomorrow.

40. rtfirefly2 says:

The Puppy Killer got given a gift today. I dunno. the Ravens were going for his head earlier. Please NFL get real refs on this game.

I wonder how the Raider Nation is feeling right about now?
    The got spanked by the pathetic Dolphins. Bwahahahahaaha!!!

• Grumpy Guy says:

Holy Fuck, Man. How bad are the Raiders?

Bad enough to get butt raped by the worst team in football.

Bad Enough to make Reggie Bush look like Barry Sanders.

Bad Enough to make Ryan Tannenhill a winning QB.

Bad Enough to give up 35 to the Fins.

Damn. Just, Damn. I am *almost* feeling sorry for the Raiders’ fans. The Al is dead, long live the Al.

My FF teams are taking it up the ass so far today. On the plus side, my NASCAR teams are doing the fucking. And you won’t see the common courtesy of a reach-around either.

43. rob says:

fuck chicago !

44. rob says:

can we go 2-0 ? wow !

You guys want to hear a sad commentary on today’s society? I was just outside talking with some of my neighbors when my next door neighbor’s granddaughter, she of all 9 or 10 years old, walked by and I smiled and said, “I sweetie, how are you today?” Her response? Nothing verbal. She continued to walk by and gave me the finger. I kid you not. I wanted to go punch her Mom and Grandma in the goddamn throat for raising that child to be a cunt at the early age of ten.

This world is going to hell in a hand basket on an express train.

Dennis finally found someone who he can match in a battle of wits. Well, looks like he lost.

New Thread is up . . .