The Season is Almost Here. The No-So-Frozen Tundra Awaits

Great thing is, this is a short work week. And countdown to kickoff has begun. In exactly 118 hours, the 2012 fotball season will start for your San Francisco 49ers.

Granted, this has been a bit of a curious preseason. All we heard about were the amazingly crisp passes from Young Sir Alex to all the new weapons on the team, from LaMichael James to AJ Jenkins to Super Mario to Randy (traffic cop) Moss to Michael (Softshell) Crabtree. Come (practice) game time, little to nothing was shown to the opponents, or worse yet, the fans. Sure, there are reasons for this, but still and all throwing 4 yard outs to Crabs has pretty much been established. Running on 1st and 20 has been shown. Playing it safe in the red zone. Been there done that. The run game looked goosd in a couple games (Minn, SD), and bad in a couple (Hou, Indy).  The defense pretty much followed suit. A couple good games, a couple ehh ones. Indy being the worst. Although they were hampered by injury and the blandness of the schemes Fangio was running.

Still and all, these games are tune-ups and there is little to take from these. Lest we forget the stellar 4-0 record Singletary amassed in 2010. He wasn’t about moral victories. Just meaningless ones.

Anyhow, buckle your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy ride . . .

120 Responses to The Season is Almost Here. The No-So-Frozen Tundra Awaits

Lets go NINERS! BLEEP the opposition and the frozen tundra!

Nothing frozen about it in September Nipper! Traffic cop Moss lol, he got away with it didn’t he?

Where’s reddog?

Reading the imaginary disses of poor Alex?

Speaking of lousy QBs, JJ hasn’t been signed by anyone yet. I’m little surprised.

6. Grumpy Guy says:

Michael Crabtree: Oblivious Jackass, or Clueless Dunce?

“Man, I learn so much from him,” Crabtree said about Moss. “That’s my dude. (He makes) me feel like I can be myself. Seeing an old guy like that, and he’s been himself for so long that you . . . I’m going to be myself and go out and play. You can learn from a guy like that. You don’t have to change for nobody.”

I’m not so sure our little Mikey is taking the right lesson from Moss’s yearlong vacation from NFL-Land and his last ditch attempt to restart his career here.

Being yourself is fine, if you’re productive, and not a jackass. When you don’t even bother turning around and looking for passes when the defense is blitzing, not so much.

Sounds like he is going to play his way regardless of what he’s told. Let’s hope that’s not what he meant.

7. winder says:

I think we play the Pack real tough, weather not being a factor we are just as fast if not faster than GB. I think we take this one, they have no running game to speak of and if Aldon is healthy we should be in Rogers face all day.

Moss and Crabs to be starting receivers, I guess Moss really has played well in practice cause nothing happened in pre-season.

Jeezus. The more Crabs talks, the more he sounds like a complete clueless moron.

“Be myself?” Who were you these past few seasons? Jerry Lewis?

Loved the cat thing.

Ginn, williams, LMJ as pr/kr in that order. Cox beat Brock in the battle of the backups behind Rogers

11. Grumpy Guy says:

I’m suffering from a giddy overdose of psychotic venom, myself. Maybe suffering is not the right word. Enjoying the hell out if it?

And you guys wanted to cut Ginn before last season. Hah! What you gonna make martinis with? Vodka??!!??

Psychotic Venom. Not a bad band name.

Beats Anthrax.

Time for some psychotic venom.

Courtesy of the Post Toastie himself, Tommy Bolin.

Is GFinn back from his ankle injury?

Best answer so far is he is walking without a limp in the locker room.

Apparently not as he’s not on the depth chart for WRs. Haven’t really heard one way or the other though.

Which means KW is returning punts in not-so-frigid Green Bay.

By the end of the game it should be geting a little chilly though.

Yeah, the Green bay game comes down to our offense. Green Bay WILL score. Maybe not as much as they are used to, but the Niners have to be able to answer. And they are going to have to show some downfield passing. I remember the last time the Niners played GB, they were daring the Niners to do anything downfield. Often putting 9-10, even all 11 guys, 10 yards from the LOS.

However they do it, they need to strwetch out GBs defense. I don;t really know what they did this offfseason, but they were dead last in defense last year. I don;t think they did enough to change that too much.

19. twinfan1 says:

Just looked some Reddog posts- are you sure he’s Bullit? They’re nothing remotely like he used to post on the Insider..
    We did go downfield on Green Bay last time we played, BTW. And successfully, with deep throws for TDs to Crabtree and Davis. It was the game where Raye only passed 7 times in the first half. We went to the spread in the second half and nearly won- GB was NOT in a prevent, they just got burned.After pulling to within 6, Green Bay got the ball back on their own 9 with 6 minutes left and ran out the clock..

• reddog says:

I can’t be accepted as reddog here as unca_chuck and his sidekicks are out to smear me.
      In case you missed it phil fan said this
      September 1, 2012 at 3:24 am

reddog is twinfan. Just ignore. Pay no attention to the smoke and mirrors. I recommend the same strategy with reddick as with my buddy Del Mar = let it go; not a serious discussion.

His buudy Irish Kevin = Flavor until proven otherwise. Same old tired game.

Waaah! Skeebers even outed you, Redbull. I don’t give a fuck what you think at this point.

Provide input and I’ll glady let you stay. Keep on this stupid rant, and you will be deleted/banned. Spitblood was banned. Dennis was almost banned. You can be next if you want. I don;t care either way. This is suposed to be about football, not who said what to who.

Like I said, you went from 0 posts to attacking everyone in 3 posts.

Yeah, we did, Twin. we, as per Rayes; directive, the on;ly time you open up the offense is when you fall behind by 21 points.

It’s been kinda the same with HarMan, open up after we fall behind. The big difference being we have more success because the run game isn’t 3 yds and a cloud of dust, it’s creative, allowing for more success in the passing game, great ST and D.
      The last 3 of our head coaches have been heavy run, short passing game. Even Mad Mike was constrained by Singlenueron. I hope it opens up a bit more this season.

• twinfan1 says:

My theory on why Smith seems to only connect with Davis deep is that when he sees a WR open deep he figgers it’s a defender in disguise..

22. twinfan1 says:

Dog, anyone whoever supported Smih on the Insider was “accused” of being me. Phil can be engaging but he’s totally delusional. Chuck should be able to straighten him out on the Twin/Flavor nonsense..

• phil fan says:

Yeah it was a shot in the dark twin. My bad. Sorta like when you accused me of maybe being Spitblood. Flavor scotched that right quick, recall?

Glad to see things have changed

Right. Phil, Twin ain’t reddog.Nor ia Flavor. Not by a longshot. Twin has a brain. He knows how to use it. Oh, he can be an asshole (:)), but he’s his own man. He wouldn’t slink to those levels.

Twin, the reason people question reddog’s true intentions is because he came here on the attack. Now he gets all ruffled when people wonder what his agenda is. It sure looks like posts from someone else somewhere else.

I don’t think that there is any question that reddog is a red herring, it’s body of work speaks for itself. Why would bulldog be so insistant to try to stay here and clear it’s name? What draws it here? There are many other blogs to write on. Why stay in such a hostile place? The simple answer is it’s the particular personalities here that draw it. Having been outed it is now desperately clawing at denial, the honest blogger falsely accused, please…

It’s an insult to the intelligence. Troll.

BTW, Crabby, I’ll be rooting for Alex to win league MVP and hoist the Lombardi Trophy in February. Just like I did last year.

• twinfan1 says:

You had to be the happiest dude this side of Dennis the Menace when Kyle fumbled that second return away…

• rtfirefly says:

No, Crabby, the first game I attended featured a real QB with far less support, John Brodie, to Washington at Kezar.
        I’m sure you were cheering like mad because you’re an Alex groupie not a Niner fan and it handily provided excuse #2438.
        Nice try though.

26. twinfan1 says:

I’ve seen Firebug’s act, Chuck. Most guys here really are just skeptics, The Bug is a genuine Smith hater.

27. Grumpy Guy says:

League MVP is irrelevant. Just move the chains. This team was very close last year. Just a very modest improvement on offense could get us over the top. Like every team, though, we will also need some luck, too. Injuries can ruin any team’s season. The Steelers did not win them all in the 70s, and we did not do so in the 80s. The trick for a good team is to get into January relatively healthy.

28. Grumpy Guy says:

First game I can remember?

December 16, 1967. 49ers beat the Cowpukes.

Two teams I’ll always hate: the Cowboys and the fucking Rams. If you were a 49ers’ fan in the 60s and 70s, you understand.

Ooooooooooh yeah.

I still curse Roman Gabriel to this day.

Guy used to live next door to me was a Rams fan named Gabriel, 2 good reasons to hate the guy right there.

The 2 guys at PFT pick GB to win. They both say GB has improved its defense and its offense should pick up where it left off. What about our Offense improving??? Man I hope we make em eat it next Sunday.

I hope Dennis got off the floor. I wish we could send him a giant Alex pic all framed or better yet a jersey with his name. It might turn Dennis around.

Since the season begins tonight, I best get on record for my division and playoff winners for this year…

AFC East Patriots
    AFC North Steelers
    AFC South Texans
    AFC West Chargers
    Wild Cards Broncos and Ravens

NFC East Eagles
    NFC North Packers
    NFC South Falcons
    NFC West Seahawks
    Wild Cards Cowboys and Lions

Super Bowl XLVII Patriots vs Packers
    Super Bowl Champs Patriots

Okey doke, I’ll bite:
    Pats, Ravens, Texans, Broncos (same ol’, same ol’)
    WC-Steelers, Tebow
    Giants, Saints, Packers, Niners (not very creative, am I?)
    WC-Bears, Falcons
    Superdome: Pack vs. Texans (Wade Phillips’ redemption)
    Champeens: Pack

36. phil gan says:

Gentlemen place yer wagers in the 2nd annual Niners Forever Scoring Contest:

Phil: 27-24 Niners “Cowboy gonna eat the OL tackle fer lunch”

34-20 in favor of the team with the better QB. If ya have to ask…?

That certain QB also so happens to be my FF QB this year in both our ESPN and Yahoo! leagues. If any of you detect any hidden gratification Sunday when Rogers throws a TD, blame it on Frank. He’ll be (Peyton) manning the keyboard.

Interesting and fascinating fact: There have been 16 consecutive seasons in which at least five teams made the playoffs that had missed out the year before.

I believe I only have four, so change one of the NFC Wild Cards from the Lions to the Bears, oh my!

That makes five: Bears, Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks and Chargers who didn’t make it last year.

Get out of here with that Shehawks crap Dennis, even a betting man needs to have some loyalty to his team.

Jesus H Christ. ESPN might as well change it’s name to the Tim Tebow network. All Tim all the time. I think Mark Sanchez doesn’t stand a chance against the onslaught of media, fans, and unreal expectations.

never seen such hype for a less than average QB, he’s not even the starter behind Sanchize!

• rtfirefly says:

He will be. 7-4 including a road midseason sweep of the division. Oh, and he was the QB when they beat the defending AFC Champ Steelers.
        Chuck will never figure it out. It’s OK. Nobody else can, either.
        Did I mention the Broncs led the league in rushing?

Couple of things about that rt, broncs D was what kept them in games, of course they led the league in rushing, they had 2 backs on the field at all times and an unorthodox offense can suceed for a while but not in the long run. Once enough is on tape it will be held in check.

Uh oh. Dennis struck first. Romo has 0.36 points.

God, I hate the Cowboys. It’s one of the only times you’ll catch me out and out rooting for the Giants.

I’d love to see the Giants mioss they playoffs, but also Dallas as well. Hard for that to happen, but Philly could do it.

• rtfirefly says:

It wouldn’t kill me to see the Skins win the division. Well, I take that back, I hate the Skins almost as much as the Cowpatties. I want them all to lose.
      But I wrote it would take Shanny a couple seasons to rebuild that worst-in-the-league defense, and then he needed a QB (since he only wins with Montana and Elway).
      I don’t know about the D, but he might have the quarterback.

• rtfirefly says:

Last season, just to refresh memories, Shanny’s #1 was Rex Grossman. As I recall, I said LOLOLOLOL.
      This year RG III. I’m not laughing.

Shoulda told y’all Dallas was going to win tonight. NYG will not make the playoffs.

Gentlemen place yer wagers in the 2nd annual Niners Forever Scoring Contest:

Phil: 27-24 Niners “Cowboy gonna eat the OL tackle fer lunch”
    Del Mar: 34-20 GB “In favor of the team with the better QB.”

23-21 niners

Field goals count too!

I guestimated 2 td and 3 fg

That was a wonderful Cowboy win! I hope the Niners are as good.

Better would be my hope.

And the words “wonderful” and “Cowboy” don’t belong side by side in a sentence, ever.

How ’bout “wonderful” and “Romo” side by side in a sentence?
        My man Tony was dealing last night. 3 TDs to his WRs. We managed all of ONE completion to our WRs when we last played the Giants. Night and Day. Day and Night.

“Night and Day” music by Cole Porter arranged by Nelson Riddle.

• rtfirefly says:

Romo to Bryant got you 3 pts prior to the last drive of the first half. They finished with 45. Enjoy your day in the sun, my good friend, because before you have the first angel on that 40′ Christmas tree, Cowpattie success this season will be a distant memory.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Romo is usually good in September.

December and January… not so much.

No Dennis “Romo” and “wonderful” doesn’t work either, although he came good in the second half, he was playing against second string DB’s though, except Webster who had a poor game.
        Cowboys history under Romo is hard to ignore Dennis, Early to mid season stat machine, late season and playoffs much less so and he has a highlight reel of choking in his biggest moments.

Bit of a difference between NFC Championship game and the first game of the season too don’t you think? Although your point is well taken about 1 pass for 3 yds, that’s ridiculous, but even so we almost won.

• twinfan1 says:

It’s typical for the Menace to treat two deep TD passes to Davis as being significantly different from two to wide outs. OBVIOUSLY, if Alex can hit his TE deep he can hit a WR deep. It will help if he has any reason to expect that a the WR will actually get open deep more than threee times a year.

Twin, I think it obviously shows Alex is able to throw an accurate deep ball, but that’s not the same as doing so to anyone other than VD. I accept your point about reliable receivers but I think thats a shared responsibility with Alex too. He has problems trusting the WR and tape shows he doesn’t throw deep to them very much even when they have a step. That is the type of play I’m hoping to see him pull the trigger on this year.

• twinfan1 says:

I don’t absolve ANYONE of “shared responsibility”..your most valid point, IMO, is Smith not trusting the wide outs, and of course he’s had little reason to do so.Many ignore that he’s made very good deep throws to WRs who ran poor or wrong routes- the QB always looks bad in those cases. But. yeah, he’s ignored them in favor of checkdowns or shorter routes. He has some guys who should helkp resolve that this year. We’ll see. And while discussing shared responsibilty, Harbaugh has some as well. He wanted Smith favoring the safer options. I expect he’ll lengthen the leash this year..

• Grumpy Guy says:

Alex used to hit Antonio Bryant deep, so it CAN be done. The problem is, between issues of WR quality, O-line blocking, TC absences and so on, he has not developed any real chemistry with a WR in the years since. If Moss can stay healthy this year, this will change. But that does constitute an ‘if’.

It’s a big improvement over last year. Cowboys 28, Lions 3. Yes, last September. I don’t need to tell you how Romo did in the second half. I’ve never had more fun listening to a game on the radio.
    That was the very week after he fumbled with a 7 pt lead, the ball on the 3 in chip shot plus range, and 2:00 min left. No need to remind Dennis of the pick he threw in OT to complete the deal.
    Choker.

You know what’s funny, Dennis? Mr. September has as many playoff wins as Alex Smith.

Smoke that, Skippy.