Showdown in Cowtown

In what I’ll call the What-Could-Have-Been Bowl, the 49ers are facing off in their most meaningful meaningless preseason game against the Denver Broncos. You know, the team that signed some QB whose name I can’t remember. Under the shadow of darkness, the Broncos wrangled some guy named Manning, who hasn’t played in a while, to the mile high shitty from the depths of free agency in a move that was undetected by the media. Much like Bob Irsay moving the Baltimore Colts to Indy in the heat of the night.

Um, well, except for the fact that ESPN had 24/7 coverage of Peyton’s every waking moment, his plane rides all over the country, news of Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke hiding in the bushes in their camo hoodies watching Manning throw at Rutgers, Miami owner Stephen Ross  offering him everything under the sun plus a baby’s arm holding an apple, and Arizona offering Manning all the sand he could crap in.

Anyhow, the Niners didn’t get him. To me, this was a non-issue, because their best opportunity to win now is with Smith. Mainly because, as we saw last week, Smith can take a hit. Manning would have been dead had he absorbed the hits Alex took last Friday. So, what do we take out of this game? Well, I guess we have to wait and see how Harbaugh plays it. Last year, Harbaugh bucked convention and didn’t play the starters very long for the 2nd-to-last preseason game. This time around, with a full camp and preseason, we should see Smith play at least the whole 1st half. Although you have to wonder, since the Niners dodged what could have been 2 devastating injuries to two of their running backs in Brandon Jacobs and LaMichael James.

What am I looking to see? Well, Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks both returned to practice on Monday, and they may get some playing time, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. They are much more valuable  if they are fully ready for the Green Bay game, not for this meaningless tilt.  The offense? Well you know.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

27 Responses to Showdown in Cowtown

So, did we sign Peyton Manning yet?

Raiders fan gets shot in the face, which was painted silver, at the Cardinals Raiders game. Local Pheonix ploice reaction was……

“What we can tell you is that there was not enough compelling evidence gathered on scene, through statements or physical evidence, to make the investigators comfortable with an arrest on the 57-year-old male,” police said, via the Gafni.

Ummm, he was shot in the face following an argument by accident??? OK, just checking.

“Meaningless game” ….truer words were never spoken so well.

I tell you fans, preseason games are a bleeping abomination taking advantage of your lust for football at any costs. It’s the great rip-off of all times.

Here’s Roman saying nothing helpful about that storied non-pass to Moss last game:

There was a 2nd and 7 the last game against the Houston Texans, Alex threw an accurate pass to TE Vernon Davis and he dropped it. It looked like WR Randy Moss was breaking open deep. After looking at the film, did Alex make the right read and make the right throw?

“In case somebody from an opponent is reading this, I don’t want to let them know about our quarterback reads. But I thought it was the appropriate decision. There’s times when a quarterback has to make a quick decision. And, let me put it to you this way, how open was Randy? How open was Vernon? Was Vernon that much open [hand gestures], that much, that, that [hand gestures]? It’s going to be different every time. Randy, leverage, who’s the corner? Where is he? Leverage. It’s going to be different every time. He’s got to make that decision quickly. And, generally speaking when you run somebody on a shorter route and one on a deeper, if it’s man-to-man coverage, you’re generally going to look to the shorter route first because he’ll probably be open quicker. And that’s not true of all plays, but I thought it was a good throw and I know Vernon was pretty upset that he didn’t grab it.”

Oh joy. Dennis by proxy . . .

Well I’m glad the NFL is taking advantage of my poor naive interest in the 49ers preseason games. Shit what else would I be doing at 4am Monday morning?

So, Monday Night football comes on Tuesday morning at 9:00 am?

That’s some crazy shit ,. ,. ,.

• phil fan says:

Actually yep that’s correct Chuck. It’s all bass-ackward over here. Different universe sorta. That’s why many of my posts are early AM over there when I actually send ’em right before or after dinner.

Crazy shit is right.

Skelton in midseason form. He trhrows into triple coverage on his 2nd pass attempt of the day and gets picked . . .

• phil fan says:

I’m not surprised. I recall when Warner retired some AZ fans saying “We’ll be alright” and thought ‘Yeah, you know nothing about life after a real good QB’.

Now they do

AZ’s line looked brutally bad against Tenn. The Tits weren’t doing anything remotely exotic, but AZ couldn’t block for shit.

From the last thread the 12th Man said:

“I don’t mind the food fights; it’s a blog after all” ( I paraphrase)

Yeah agree it’s pretty entertaining sometimes. I DO get bored when the same ole same ole comes outta the same old characters time after f-ing time tho. This drives Chuck bat shit too I assume. And when the 3-4 usual suspects line up and hurl stale baloney once again (and again endlessly). That’s tiresome, right? Is nailing the point six hundred times better than say 3 well placed shots? Naw. Sir Grumpalot comes on, makes a few well placed remarks and he’s done. That’s good, effective too.

Yeah it’s a blog, food fights welcome. 12 brings up a good point.

Phil ready to throw the cream pies? SPLAT!

I just watched this again the other day. Best pie fight caught on film — “The Great Race.” After first getting hit with a few brandy pies then a rum pie, Prince Hoepnick says, “I never mix my pies.” I need to take that to heart.

What’d I miss? More fun in Skeeberland?

I watched most of that ARZ/TEN game last night myself. The Cardinals OL was nothing short of a sieve vs the Titans first-team defense. Their OTs in particular played like turnstiles. It isn’t going to matter a hill of beans who plays QB if they don’t fix that line first.

Arizona isn’t the only NFC West team yet to name a starter. The Seattle job is still up for grabs. I guess that rookie from Wisconsin, Russell Wilson, has impressed enough to delay the final decision. I still have to think Pete Carroll names Flynn the starter. I can’t believe there’s still competition between the two. I guess Flynn isn’t making anyone forget Jim Zorn.

New post . . . . . .