Game 2 in the Books – Whither the WRs?

Well, it’s only preseason, and I know I’m not supposed to be concerned, but (stop me if you’ve heard this before) I’m a little concerned with the mid-range to deep passing game. 4-5 series, and we’ve barely thrown anything besides 4 yard outs to the WRs. The only deep pass Smtih completed was the pass to Ginn when Smith broke contain. Moss was open for a TD on a pass to VD that he dropped. And Moss himself dropped a pass from Cappy that would have been a 1st and goal. Beyond that, the pass blocking was pretty bad, and Smith was under pressure. Which is why I think Smith rarely gets to his 2nd/3rd reads. As in the play where he didn’t see Moss.

I guess I’m making too much out of this, but I get a little nauseous when I hear how crisp and awesome our practices are, and how well Smith is hooking up with Moss/Crabs downfield. Is this where they leave it? I’ve heard this for the last 3 camps. Smith finally has a grasp, blah blah blah. The game starts, and wwe get the goddamn everloving 4 yard out. A route that I want to see retired. Just like Bill Walsh went to the well too often with the Roger Craig sweep, this play has seen better days. I am STILL waiting for the Niners to throw slants, crossing routes, and the occasional deep ball.

I mean, there’s saving this for the regular season, but if you don’t practice this stuff in games, how do you truly know if it’s going to work? The overarching point to all this is, if Moss gets overlooked on plays like the one in the 2nd quarter where Moss had the entire left side of the field to himslef, and Smith doesn’t see him, Moss will likely become very disillusioned about how he’s expected to produce here. Manningham was targeted once. Crabs got his 4 yard out. Moss got a 6 yard out. Hou meanwhile threw the ball all over the field to numerous different WRs. Where’s the beef? I know we are going to be a ball control offense, but really, you HAVE to throw passes downfield. Otherwise we’ll be in the same boat as last year. Lots of FGs, and leaning on the defense.

Frankly I think this is a recipe for backsliding. The D, no matter how well it plays, will not likely get 38 turnovers again. The offense needs to do a better job of pressuring the opponents defense rather than just trying to burn clock and keep the other team from scoring. Push for a 17 point lead, and THEN go heavy run.

77 Responses to Game 2 in the Books – Whither the WRs?

Yeah love The Onion. Saw another article said “Sanchez Struggles” Read some more it went on to say “Tebow Struggles Too”. Jets are a mess; no wonder Ryan’s been talking about Kappy recently. He’s better than both of those two.

Heh heh. Now fucjking Skeebie has joined in the fun. What a pussy.

Heard the same thing last year “We’re saving it for the regular season”. Hell we’ve been saving it since Garcia left. Hope this year is different but we’ll see. No evidence yet…

That’s my point. for 5 seasons it has been, yeah, Alex is clicking. Ths offense is in fire. On and on.

I’m not hugely concerned, but I can’t say I haven’t heard this song and dance before . . .

Game 3 will tell a lot. Smith should get the first half at least.

It is pre season, who gives a shit, not the vet players that for sure. and look what happened to two of the RB’s, hurt. for the first 2 maby 3 series the vets on Offense might go all out, but if the other teams defense is also going all out the Vets on offense throw in the towel, they don’t want to get hurt in pre season. So relax, enjoy the shitty pre season and wait for the real deal!!

6. barleyfreak says:

I have to remind myself this is the PS. BUT, I agree that if we do not have more downfield passing we are going to find ourselves very disappointed come season’s end. What worked last year will not work again as has been repeated over and over. I have been predicting a 10-6 record which some find pessimistic. But it is what we’ll get IF we improve the downfield passing. Seriously. Injuries, turnover ratio, special teams all that stuff is going to be difficult to repeat.

I don’t care about that one play so much now. But our passing game CANNOT be all VD during the RS. Can’t be. So Smith is going to have to find a way to get it to MM, RM. And MC, of course, hopefully more than 3 yards past the LOS.

Kevin, the problem I have is that they are not developing any kind of rapport with each other. VD has no catches, but I can live with that as these guys have played to gether for years. Moss, Crabs, and Manningham haven’t. I know they want to hide things, but they have to show SOMETHING.

My alarm bells will be raised a lot more if they go through game 3 and don’t show much improvement.

8. Grumpy Guy says:

Well if you don’t see it this week, you won’t see it at all before GB. I’d expect Alex and most of the other older starters to get week four off.

Right. Hence the concern.

Alex is the man! No one will waste his talents on Pre season. Hence there is NO concern for me.

Dennis can suck on a lemon.

• Nip Dennis was whining and bitching during the game about our receivers going down way too easy so I did some research and have the answer:

“Scientists report a so-called “miracle molecule” found in red wine might help improve mobility and prevent falls among older adults. The ingredient is called ‘resveratrol.’ Assistant Professor of Pharmacology at Duquesne University Jane Cavanaugh says they tested the effect on laboratory mice.

“As these animal age, they lose some of their motor coordination. Very similar as to humans do as they age. And when we gave them out the resveratrol, the older mouse has less loss of motor coordination.”

This is gonna solve the YAC problem fer sure. Downfield passing I dunno. Maybe a double dose of “Resveratrol” for the QBs? Always helpful phil…

I guess I should dedicate a thread to ripping that punk-ass pussy Skeevie a new asshole.

• philippinefan says:

I’m in! Saw this one coming… like a telegraphed Kaepernick pass….

When we talk about Skeebers pad we’re talkin super Maxi.

12. reddog says:

????? What are you talking about? What is Skeevie?

Where the heck is Dennis, I have not seen him on the Flapp either

• philippinefan says:

Since he’s running two fantasy football leagues which start in a few days he’s prolly figuring out how to bend the rule to get all the good playas. Lousy stinkin’ commish….

He showed up here during the game Irish

14. philippinefan says:

I’d like to help the reddog out with info on the skeebster but I’ve long ago boycotted his site and have no current info on his mental problems (which were control freakish invasion of his readers privacy, etc). But it sounds like the much anticipated shit just hit the fan with our Chuck. And he ain’t talkin’.

Reddog, Skeebers has a 49er blog. It is listed on the blogroll. He took some cheap shots at me about one fucking play in the game last week.

He’s been back a little on the Flap. he’s been at Skeebers blog as well.

Shit, look at me directing people to his site.

The deal was, I had an argument with Berger regarding the play that VD dropped the ball. Moss was open on a slant route on that play. The CB was deep right, and Moss would have scored easily. I noted that Smith should have gone to Moss as it would have been a TD. Bergs said the play to VD was the ‘correct’ one because he would have gotten away from the LB, avoided going out of bounds, and scored. Moss was the ‘decoy’ on the play. My point was, you take the deep route over the pass to the flat as it gains more yards. Yadda yadda yadda. As on that blog, Bergs won’t shut the fuck up so the argument ensued. And he’s scared to post here besides.

The next day, Skeebs proceeds to rip me for my point. So fuck him and his blog. I like posting there, but some of those guys get real annoying.

Moss was open deep. But WTF do yo expect with Check-down Charlie at quarterback? After seven years, do you think Alex is going to start taking big chances and try for the home run ball now? Shit.

If Brady and his Pats remain relatively healthy, I think they go 14-2. Easy.

19. reddog says:

How’s your health? Getting bent out of shape over a lone play in a meaningless pre-season game?
    To me it’s not worth bursting a blood vessel.

• You’re right reddog but the history runs deep around here. Longer than I’ve been around. Every now and then “one play” brings all that to the front. Like now.

It’s all good over here far as I can tell.

Hey, I’m between projects. it ain’t chapping my hide. I just like seeing how far these clowns will go.

Both VD and Moss were viable on that play. Throwing to VD was legitimate. If Moss was the decoy as claimed, what’s wrong with throwing to him if it works better than expected? Moss had a clear path to score as long as he catches the ball. What’s the difference between the risk of VD or Moss catching the ball? Seems the same to me.

The problem is the same old problem, given the choice between the short underneath throw and the 20 yd throw Alex hits the former. Some point to the designed deeper throws and say Alex does throw deep, rarely but true he does, but not when he has to decide what to do, he goes safe.

I don’t see him taking many risks. This is pre season, the exact time to take risks and see what happens. What’s the point of going deep against your own defense in practice? You know their tendencies, the scheme etc. It must be practiced against opposing defenses, under pressure.

Preaching to the preacher, 12th. If you don’t try it in the practice games, how do you know what the outcome will be in real ones?

I think Harbaugh’s a little wound too tight on this. Especially after seeing the last 2 coaching staffs fall prey to the same shit.

I get a bad feeling about it. I know, early, jumping at shadows, etc.

I’m real curious to see what the offense does this next game though. Denver has a decent D line, and aren’t the pushovers that Minn was. Their DBs aren’t very spectacular (last time I checked), so you’d think they can hit some shit downfield.

Why throw deep now? Practice just gives your enemies more info to use when the games really matter. Harbaugh knows what his men can do.

Or stops them from crowding the box cause they have deep passing game on tape too.

The receivers are dropping a lot of balls, if its all good in practice why so far out of sync? Is it because there’s more pressure against other teams even in pre season? That’s why I would hope Alex can see the deep guy and not just the dump off guy because if he makes a mistake, what’s the harm?

Wait till V finds one of these blogs and watch Chuck really burst a blood vessel.

But then, I’m warming up for the season and kinda in the mood for some escaped goats and blind legions.

Hate to break the news to you, RTF, but I banned V from this site. As well as Spitblood. Spit is posting back at Skeebers site though apparently. We’ll see how long that lasts.

Heh heh. Who knows? I shouldn’t throw gas on the fire, but Christ, between Skeebs and Bullit, I get railed for everything I say now. Bullit is now on a rant that the Titans shoukld be starting Hasselbeck instead of Locker. Really? Because Locker had a lousy preseason game? He just spent 2 days yammering abiout the insignificance of preseason games. Too fucking funny.

who are these clowns and where can I read what they are saying, humor is important to my sanity. and it sounds like these guys are a laugh a minute.

In the blogroll on the right side, click Skeebers 49er Outsider. Some folks over there take themselves a little too seriously.

Head coach Jeff Fischer.

“Well, I know both kickers can kick 20-yard field goals, 30-yard field goals,” said Fisher, referring to Greg Zuerlein and Garrett Lindholm. “In the preseason, why not try to make plays on offense? So that’s basically it. Obviously the philosophy changes during the regular season — [with] momentum, flow, and field position.“But I don’t think we need to kick 35-yard field goals in the preseason, especially if it’s fourth and less than 4. The longer the down and distance is, the less likely you have an opportunity to convert.”Part of Fisher’s rationale is to give opponents something to think about, to game-plan for the possibility of something that might not be there in September.

Huh. So we ain’t the only ones who feel this way.

Its very popular lately nipper

Some bloggers try to get a little too clever with their arguments and invent scenarios to create an augmentation to their respective positions. Its pretty simple really, if the deep guy is open, throw it to him.

Its all well and good to talk about clearing out the safety for an underneath throw but it should be by definition an available option to the QB that the guy doing the clearing out, if open, should become the primary target because the gain is greater.

Why is it such a contentious issue to expect the QB to hit the deep open guy instead of the shallow open guy?

Mind boggling.

• phil fan says:

12 I’ll suggest slightly tongue in cheek that since we haven’t seen much of a deep passing game since Garcia that automatically hitting the open deep guy as you suggest is strange and unfamiliar territory for us. Choices for the QB to hit the deep guy? Our passing attack has been so bad/inconsistent for so long that for some of us fans that seems like brain surgery, ancient hieroglyphics or possibly rocket science. Alex doesn’t help matters with his check down tendencies either. He’s no gambler we know this. The football IQ on the O side of the ball will only rise so fast even under Jimbo or even under BW for that matter.

But it’s foolish to get in a “food fight” over an issue like this but hey that’s the
      MO for many at Skeebwads joint.

PF, I don’t mind the food fight aspect, its a blog after all.

Skeebs today lumps those who thought Alex should have had enough vision to hit Moss instead of VD as Alex haters, thereby dismissing those opinions and declaring them devoid of merit. Ergo I am now an official hater.

Its the easy button to push.

But that’s the crux of the issue really, Alex “should” have enough vision, especially given the glowing “its all good in TC” we keep hearing. The play itself in pre season is meaningless, but for me it shows the O has not made strides to any great degree.

32. reddog says:

I went over to that blog as you suggested. There is no Spitblood that I can see. There is a Alberteinstinkle touting Jake Locker as Steve Young reborn. That guy Bullit is putting him down for the comparison.
    Unca looks like you jumped to conclusions and attacked him for the wrong thing. He never mentioned Hassleback as the Titan quarterback..
    I have to agree that you cannot compare Locker to Young and if you do wait 10 years before you mention them in the same sentence.

‘Dog, if Locker ain;t starting, then it’s Hasselbeck. That was my point. Bullit went on for 3 days how meaningless preseason is, and then jumps on Al for Locker’s one bad preseason game. Just busting his balls.

I’m no shit disturber (mostly) but he’s been acting like a bitch for 3 weeks now.

• Grumpy Guy says:

You took his Holiness the Lord Crabtree’s name in vain, and must be punished. Hallelujah and Yippee Fucking Kai-Yay.

• reddog says:

Unca

You’re not getting the point. Even a pinhead like me sees this picture. The root cause was this guy Al stating Jake Locker is Steve Young. Your pal Bullet was calling out Al on this crazy comparison which seemed to go over your head. It’s all good but just letting you know this is what I saw.

And, I think Al was banned by Skeebers once again.

The “root cause” is that Al/Spitwad and bullit ARE shit disturbers with a chronic need to rigidly insist on their absurd points of view. That’s the long, long history there reddog. You are no expert on skeeber’s site my friend

36. But on to more important things:

From the Onion http://www.theonion.com/channels/football/

-Tebow, Sanchez Vow To Work Together To Throw Football

-Jets Worry Tim Tebow Will Be Distracted By Wild New York Churchlife

-Peyton On Beginning Of Manning Era In Denver: ‘I Will Break My Neck’

-Andrew Luck Cut From Colts After Overthrowing Wide-Open Receiver

One more:

Replacement Referee Swallows Fifteenth Whistle

Dolphins Spend Entire Meeting With Alex Smith Venting About Free Agents They Couldn’t Sign

‘Dog, it ain;t worth sweating over. The shit going on betwen those guys has been happening for 2 years.

39. reddog says:

So is Phil Fan the same person as Phillipinefan?

Yup. He’s across the ocean so I think differing IDs work at different times. Some shit like that.

New post new post new post