Preseason Gameday #2

Preseason preseason. The Niners travel east to Texas for a game with the Houstons. Alex Smith may get 2 series this game. The reports coming out of camp are that Smith has really taken to the offense, and it is clicking along at a feverish pace. Good to hear, but then again, we’ve heard this before. Be that as it may, I believe this crop of coaches a little more than the last batch. Beyond that, Josh Johnson, Harbaugh’s QB back in the heady days of the USD Toreros, willl get a chance to improve his position in the battle for the 3rd (and most likely last) QB on the Niners.

The other concern is of course injuries. As the Raiders showed last night, you can get dinged up pretty badly when there are jobs to be had, and defensive players try to prove their worth.  Aldon Smith is walking around comfortably, and is apparently just about right. He will not likely see any more action this preseason. Brooks is also out with a knee injury that will keep him sidelined most of the preseason. As well as P Cox and a few others. It’ll be interesting to see how the pass rush fares with without Aldon and Brooks at LB. Kortnei Brown and Eric Bahktari in their place. I think they may try and protect Haralson by playing him little since they have enough dinged up LBs. Juston Smith will likely get a little playing time as well tonight. It’lll be nice to see him out there. Even if only for a short time.

Other than that? Offense. I want to see some evidence of these amazing workouts I jeep hearing about. Sure they don’t want to show too much. But really. a down field passing game isn’t a great unsolved mystery that other defenses haven’t seen before. Most all teams use their WRs a lot more than we do, so let’s at least give it the old college try. For a little bit.

110 Responses to Preseason Gameday #2

To heck with the game. What are the snacks going to be like? Lots of dips and chips? I bet a lot of you guys can really put away the goodies while the preseason drones on and on….

The “Big Vinnie” and a turkey club from Round Table, and Bud Light from my fridge.

With my luck the Sunday morning power outage will kick in right @ game time. 8am over here. So the snacks will consist of Breakfast and after the game, Lunch. We’re a little off schedule over here but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

BTW, not ‘related to Mel G’ as dickdog wants to believe except as fellow Scotsmen. Sheees….mother superior.

Yeah it’s just pre-season games but I’ll use the time to ‘get in shape’- rising early, tuning the coconut internet and pray9ing for da power to stay on.

“Randy Moss is WIDE open and Alex Smith just missed him” That’s not from my mouth, that’s coming straight from Tim Ryan. Smart guy that Tim.

You’ll have to excuse my typos and total omissions of words tonight, I was kicked out of both a pharmacy AND Safeway yesterday for being drunk. There might still might be some hangover effects lingering on…

Yeah, Moss had inside leverage. The blocking is a little lacking so far. Gore had a nice run.

The pass blocking is a little lacking? You, me, Nipper and Phil could make a better line. And we’re only four guys. Well, 3 1/2 if you must count Nipper.

Smith has to find Moss there. Get to the 2nd read when he’s got the time.

Huh. Texans go run to see if they can do it vs our D. Not successful.

Oh fuck. That’s not good.

Though I must admit…Alex taking a beating tonight isn’t the worst thing that could happen in my life tonight…

And this is the 1st big injury.

Injury bug strikes again: Brandon Jacobs hurt left leg on tackle, down and out?

This don’t look good for Jacobs. Say hello to more of Anthony Dixon in short yardage. That’s only if our brass is stoopid as hell. I’d still cut his sorry ass and run ANYONE else out of short yardage.

You can cross Frank of my list…

Nice , dennis. Be a fucking prick against both the Giants and Niners.

I’d still that that Texan and INT for shitty Alex pass. Holding my ass.
    Bring in Tolzien!

Manningham was held, but he wasn’t going where Alex was throwing it.

Alex to Crabtree what a pair. NOT! [insert Borat voice here]

17. Alleykat says:

Fuck so much for the Brandon Jacobs show.Look like Dixon just got a 2nd life with this team.That sucks if he’s out,especially on those 3rd and 1 dives.

Shit, I hate the fact we can’t get the WRs involved. The blocking sucks.

that’s a personal foul? I’d run out on the field and hit Alex for the FIRST time for that bogus call. This NFL is nothing more than a league for PUSSIES any more.

HIT SOMEBODY!!!

What I tell you guys ’bout Hunter way back from the Senior Bowl? Kid can play.

21. Alleykat says:

How about that Dixon…getting that tough yard.Passes the Jacobs test.

News flash: Dixon picks up a first

They call AD for holding the previous play but don’t call him for a false start this time?
    The refs really do suck.

Yeah, well that’s how it’s going to be. They miss an obvious hold on Maningham and blow the call on Davis

Can’t blame Dixon on the 4th down = no blocking- 2 guys in his way

26. Alleykat says:

Ok,now Fuck Dixon and Harbaugh on that dive call.Had no chance developing.

Yikes. Decent coverage. Bad ball awareness.. 2nd stringers though.

28. Alleykat says:

DB’s leaking oil.Need to tighten this shit up.

29. Alleykat says:

Niners dodged a “Bullock” there.

We all know if that woulda been Sanrda Bullock kicking, she woulda been “Blind Sided.”

Hey, Randy! Catch the fucking ball!

Moss is human, dropped one

One more knock about our WRs…ever noticed how they easily get tackled by just the easiest of touches?

There goes my man Hunter again.
    1st bold prediction of the year: K. Hunter will be our leading rusher this year.

And one more knock about out QBs…David Akers is still our MVP.

33. Alleykat says:

Fuck that’s twice those idiots Ryan and Odonnell thought they had 1st downs and they didnt.Pull yout HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASSES!!!!

Our 2nd team D couldn’t stop Houston’s run game- their first team

Two first half conclusions for tonight’s first half: 1) we still can’t Pass Pro worth a shit and 2) we still can’t cover worth a fuck. And if you’re feeling lucky and would like to try and hit the trifecta this year…#3 might be our pass rash. These early injuries to Aldon and Brooks could prove fatal.

My video long gone and audio on the way out. Catch ya later

Yawn. I bet Jacobs wishes he’d taken the night off. Everybody else has.

Again with the officials…get ready for it Harbaugh. At least for the first two games. That’s what they’re saying at least. The reg. refs should come back for Game 3. I can already hear the bitchin’ and moanin’ for the GB and Detroit games now.

And was it just me, or as Jimbo walked of the field at halftime…I was thinking coach coulda used a little more scooch in his khakis.

MVP Akers. Now where have I heard that before?

Brooks and Smith will be back. I;m more concerned with the offense.

And the short yardage game now that Jacobs looks to be out for the foreseeable future.

We’re probably better off working on the 3rd longs. We don’t have a starting QB who gets us into that many 3rd and shorts in the first place…

Brock is having a shitty night. He’s sliding down the depth chart.

Isn’t JJ playing now? I was watcing the Giants.

Gotta like that. Thomas with the safety blitz/

Not yet. Kappy’s been in.

Now JJ. Life or death.

Great pass to AJ, but I still think he’s dead. Thus him getting the 2nd half start here in second preseason game. I bet they start Tolzien in the “real” third preseason game next week when the Niners want to look at all three of their QBs. Yes, Chuck. Three. Not four.

“Kyle Williams lets it bounce.” AAAAAAHHHHHH

Pass pro is not where it should be. We continue to not throw anything but 6 yard outs to the WRs with the 1st string O.

Shit, RTF, that’s what I just yelled at the TV. “If you had done that against the Giants, we win the Super Bowl!”

Fuck, they are saying AJ doesn’t look like he’ll dress for thr 1st few games. He’s the only guy getting open.

…against 3rd and 4th string DBs. AJ won’t be dressing for the first few games. NOt unless we loss a WR or two to injury. But I’ll say this, if they keep Dixon > AJ, we deserve to not convert any 3rd and shorts…

How is JJ lookin’?

I was just gonna say David Akers and our Sts were all we have left…
    you can cross off our punt coverage team now. But goddamn, that Holliday kid from LSU sure is fast. He’s been timed in the 4.20’s. 420? I know guys who smoke at that time. But they sure in the hell don’t run that fast.

JJs low man now.

Fuck. Time to trade JJ for a running back. This is a costly preseason game.

I like everything about Tolzien. Smarts, decision making, accuracy and command of the huddle. Now it looks like we just lost James. Anthony Dixon is REALLY making the team now.

Again, Tolzein is playing agaisnt the walmart gang. You have to take this with a grain of salt.

James got hurt? Fuck the football gods must be angry? Hate to say it but we seem to be getting more than our share.

JJ not as good as Tolzein we seem to agree

57. Alleykat says:

Tolzien is a poor man’s Shaun Hill.But i’ll take that over a JJ Johnson version of Singletary’s boy Nate whoever from Ball ST.

Texan D seemed to be playing with a chip on their shoulders- “we’ll show these 49ers they’re not so hot; not gonna repeat last year’s record in Our house”. Then the low blow to Jacobs knee….coincidence? Don’t think so…

The Texans ripped the Niners in preseason last year, too. The injuries are the only things that matter.

Are you guys watching Jimbo’s postgame press conference? He’s even more of an asshole this year than last. And that’s saying something. He’s going to find his car’s stolen courtesy of a sportswriter not too soon. And if he wasn’t such a pussy, my money would be on Maiocco.

And let’s get one thing clear…he sure in the hell is going to be a bigger asshole to the press when we don’t go 13-3 again this year. I’d like to see Jimbo be a real asshole after we go 8-8. Fuck stealing his car. They might shoot the bastard.

Beyond the fact that no one gives a fuck about what coaches say after games, the news on Jacobs and LMJ isn’t as bad as feared.

Jcaob’s knee has no structural damage to the patellar tendon or the ACL. He may miss a couple games, but he’ll be back this season. James said his injury was a ‘tweak’ to his ankle and he’ll return shortly. Grains of salt should be taken with this, but it appears they dodged a couple more bullets.

I recorded the game, haven’t watched it yet, Tolzien play well?

He came in way late and did little.

12th, watch the play that VD drops the out route. Moss is open on the seam route.. The play pisses me off because Smith doesn’t look at Moss, and hes wide open for a TD. Later Moss drops one that would have been 1st and goal.

Will check it out.

Moss will disappear probably an injury. 35 old guys are fragile at best.

Had a chance to look that play over, here’s how I saw it. VD has a half step on the LB when Alex throws a little behind VD breaking his stride. The LB seeing the ball coming and knowing VD was just out of reach had begun to take an angle up field to make the tackle if he could. If Alex had led VD with the pass he would have been gone.

Having said that, if Alex had looked at Moss and thrown the ball it was a TD, clear green to the end zone. I don’t get the local feed I have DirecTV so I think I saw more of the play, the safety was not close enough to have been a factor.

The downside of not getting the local feed is I had to listen to the idiots in the booth in love with every Texan play.

Truthfully we didn’t do much to shut them up though.

66. twinfan1 says:

It doesn’t speak well for “Kappy” that he’s hardly the favorite for the back up- and in fact could be 4th…

Kap will be the backup, he plays well in the shotgun, no huddle. It helps cause the defense has less time to spook him. He got very lucky with 2 throws that could have been intercepted but the velocity of the throws saved him. He is coming along.

67. Grumpy Guy says:

People are getting their panties in bunch early again here.

It was 6-6 with the starters in. Houston left theirs in longer. A lot of the late breakdowns were by guys who will be gone in two weeks.

Alex played a pretty solid game. He doesn’t always see the deeper routes opening up but he was accurate and the ball rarely hit the ground, against a very good defense.

Jacobs will probably miss a month or two but should be back before mid-season. Still waiting to hear more on James.

I’m still guardedly optimistic about the season.

• phil fan says:

Sir Grumpalot the voice of reason. Yeah it’s the 2nd preseason game, no time to panic much less get excited. But the ongoing rash of injuries does worry me. It’s a bad trend we didn’t have last year. Hey maybe we get these outta our system early?

From what I’ve heard, James will miss miinimal amount of time.A week at most for his ankle.

Shit, I just get leery of seeing so little downfield passing. Ginn’s was the only long completion, and that was a busted play.

• Grumpy Guy says:

The pass to Randy was pretty, he just missed making the catch.

Alex is not a guy who looks to ad lib much or go deep unless it’s the first option. That said, the play calling will be different once the games count. I’m on record as being a skeptic about Alex but I’m reasonably pleased with his progress in TC and am going to hold my fire until we have at least a couple of regular season games in the tank.

And the defense will be even better with Aldon and Brooks.

69. philippinefan says:

Review of the OL right side from Niners Nation:

Maybe not so bad as we thought?

Good news on Bandon Jacobs:

With a note that the tackler went to the X-Ray room to support BJ. Nice

New post . .. . . . . . . . . .