Battle of the Bands, uh, Backups

Or, brother can you spare a QB? In what is shaping up to be a strange and exhilarating development, the 49ers seem to have a veritable plethora of QBs in their stable. Yes, Smith is the #1. This is not the debate. The debate is which of the QBs currently on the roster will back up young Sir Alex. According to Jim Harbaugh, Cappy Kaepernick is ’emerging’ as the backup to Smith, so we’ll pencil him in as the #2. Which leaves Scott Tolzein (the guy the Niners stole from SanDiego’s practice squad after playing them in the preseason last year), and recently acquired Josh Johnson, granite-jaw’s protege at USD, and more recently the backup in Tampa Bay. Scotty looked very good in mop-up duty vs Minn last week, but who wouldn’t? Tolzein made all the throws and did as well as can be expected. Unfortunately, he’s performing against the Walmart stockers, UPS guys, and the otherwise soon-to-be-unemployed football players. Not his fault, but there you go.

Josh Jonhson on the other hand saw little action last week vs Minn. The word from Harbaugh though is that JJ will get the 2nd half of the Houstron game to strut his stuff. I haven’t seen too much of JJ, so I  don’t really know what to expect from the guy. His numbers in TB aren’t very impressive, but Harbaugh and other have good things to say about the kid. Is he a keeper? We’ll see.

If JJ somehow takes the #3 spot, then the Niners could stash Tolzein onto the taxi squad. The problem there is, as he was in SD, he can be snatched away by a QB desperate team (hello AZ). And he has looked more than good enough to be snagged in a hurry. If Tolzein wins the #3 spot, what then? The likely outcome is they cut JJ, mainly because he isn’t eligible to go to the PS. Harbaugh leave the possibility that hey could very well carry 4 QBs into the season. Frankly, I think this is a very good idea. Keep all 4, and wait for a team to become desperate. If, say, Matt Flynn or Andrew Luck goes down to injury, then try to fleece a team in need of a decent QB.

I mean, really. All four of these guys could start for AZ  and be their #1. They are in a world of hurt with Kolb sucking wind, and Skelton getting a taste of reality. So, try to pry loose a nugget from any of the number of QB-desperate teams.

54 Responses to Battle of the Bands, uh, Backups

Keep all four of them. QB’s collect injuries like Chuck collecting BLEEPS!

2. Grumpy Guy says:

Johnson needs to show some dazzle in this game, or he won’t be here in September.

If it comes down to letting the Cards steal one of our QBs, right now I feel a lot better about facing them with JJ than with Tolzien.

Like I said any of the 4 are better than the crap AZ has. I think the team is relatively sure that JJ is the one to go. Tolzein has shown what he can do on the field. We’ll see Saturday night with JJ.

In other words, it’s Tolzein’s job to lose.

It’s tempting to think they would keep keep 4 QBs but who would they cut to do it? If we keep 4 and somebody comes knocking looking to trade could we get that person back later in the season? Guess this is why Baalkebaugh earns the big bucks….

I would be shocked if they keep 4, right now JJ is toast so lets see if he can pull off the upset, good luck to him.

Well, they have a while to figger that stuff out. Certainly there’s someone they can PS for a week or 2 and then recall after the trade,

You stash Palmer on thr PS for a month, wait for AZ (or Cleve) go into defcon mode for a QB 3 weeks into the season.

That might work, put somebody on the PS and call ’em up when AZ or some desperate team comes begging. We agree we trade JJ for a pick, right? Hate to face Tolzein twice a year

JJ’s the one to go in all likelihood. Picks, players, whatever they can get. Walsh got Dean for a couple picks. Maybe we can get another impact WR.

Someone please stop Bullit. The guy is like a chiahuahua with a chew toy . . .

Too bad he’s too chicken to post here. Fuck. The guy’s got a screw loose. I’m not enamored with Crabs and his actions so far in his less-than-stellar career. You’d think I killed JFK or something.

• Speaking of the Kennedys…I just saw where Taylor Swift bought a house in Cape Code across the street from Ethel Kennedy to supposedly be near her new love, Conor Kennedy. Conor is the son of RFK Jr. Sounds like she got it at a bargain price for a “mere” $4.9M. Must be nice. Screw killing another Kennedy. I’d like to unload my gun on Taylor Swift.

• phil fan says:

You mighty men are far mightier than I. What with the raw courage, the balls of steel, it takes to post on the nattering ninny site of Skeebwad. Bullit, what a piece of work… I guess Wiseguy won’t be posting there either, huh?

I’m surprised none of you retorted with a “Your gun’s shooting blanks” to my Taylor Swift joke. Stop slacking off.

Just for the record: I’m totally against carrying four QBs on the active roster. That’s even more asinine than the Giants carrying 13 pitchers. The team is already going to be short at least two spots in other areas because of the number of RBs and WRs that will make the 53-man roster. They can ill afford an extra QB on top of that mess.

I think it’s a good idea to keep a 4th for a team desperate to trade for a QB. KLike I said, most of these guys are better than anyone on AZ. We can screw them qwith an early season trade. Give them JJ for draft picks.

Where do we need depth, Dennis? backup kicker? One of the young Wrs can go on the practice squad until the time comes for AZ (or Cleve when their 40 year old rookie gets taken out) to overpay for QB.

Repeat after me: NO one is going to trade for either JJ or Tolzien. Not going to happen. WTF would a team trade for a guy who doesn’t know their system when they could plug-in one of their own, or at worse, wait for the QB to hit waivers and pick him up for free. There’s a good chance the team carries both 6 RBs and 6 WRs on the 53-man. You want to compound that asinine idea by carrying a fourth QB?

Lee Harvey was in the book depository. Chuck’s taking the 53-man suppository up his ass.

• phil fan says:

Never over-estimate the intelligence of the Cards front office. These guys brought in Kolb (!) for $40 million so far and have squat to show for it. I say we dangle JJ on our 53 for a few weeks and see if we can get them to do it again. The Harbaugh brand is pretty popular right now. They could be that stoopid ya know.

Don’t know if any of you guys are watching the preseason game on FOX between the Bengals and Falcons, but the DB, Thomas DeCoud, who just recovered that fumble is from my hometown of Pinole. He can buy the prime rib and next round at the Antler’s.

Hey, Nipper? Would you consider playing some FF in my league this year? I know that hasn’t been your “thing” of the past, but I’ve consider you as a “top notch poster/player in my book since the get-go.”

It would give you just *another* reason to laugh in the face of people like Chuck and myself. You’re always welcomed. And if especially if you drafted Alex. You would be ostracized like no other. Alone? On your own? Let’s see…

I know I’ve kept asking you guys if you know about the time I met Mel Brooks. But I have to save it. It’s one of those deathbed stories where you pull over your covers, and wait…and wait…and wait…

You all know “Forty9ninerfaithful” from the Chron and FF from the get-go. “Did We Trade Vernon Davis Yet?” Faithful calls me “Mel Brooks Jr.” I know it’s silly, but I’m so honored to even to mentioned in the sentence as Mel.

Whether any of you guys have found or continue to find me funny or not, it all goes back to Mel Brooks. I owe my sense of humor to Mel.

It didn’t cost me a goddamn dime, but it sure in the hell lasted me a goddamn lifetime.

You could do worse than following Mel Brooks.

Yeah, you could follow Mel Gibson

• phil fan says:

Zing! I will refrain from making witty comments through an act of sheer willpower.

Gibson, a good Scotsman via Australia, always reminds me of Sir Braveheart AKA William Wallace who he portrayed in the film. Wallace, son of Margaret Crawford, is a distant cousin. Margaret is my distant maternal grandmother.

Sorry, Dennis, something got lost in the translation. yer about as funny as Mel Gibson on a drunken bender.

You guys have the pre-season blues or yips or something. Anyway no fire here.

Slay the British! I mean the Texans!

-Braveheart, with something lost in translation

Nip’s dropping f-bombs and talking smack?

A new world order?

23. philippinefan says:

Yep Nip’s going crazy; a new edgier Nipper. Last I heard he thought smoking the grass was a good idea. Problem is over here it really is just grass I’m watching grow. Besides my drug of choice as a Scotsman is Scotch whiskey first and always. Drunken benders? That’s normal.

Always been a bourbon guy. Scotch don’t float my boat . . .

25. Berger says:

How about microbrew and bourbon? I think I’ll have another round!

• Excellent idea Bergs. I’ll stick with the Red Horse Extra Strong brew tonight. Kinda did a bit too much Scotch last night. Besides I gotta have a clear brain for the 8 AM kickoff ya know

26. reddog says:

Worshipping Mel Gibson and admitting you’re related to him is nothing to be proud of.
    He’s become a bigoted tool with a screw loose..

• Grumpy Guy says:

Another nun with a stick up her ass lecturing people about the clap.

Marvelous.

Wake me when it gets tired and leaves.

• phil fan says:

“Related to Mel Gibson”? Uh no dickdog try reading for comprehension before you pollute our venue further.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Reading is hard. It’s so much easier to open his mouth and make an ass of himself.

I dub him, Sister Blindasabat Killjoy, of the Order of the Eternally Clenched Sphincter.

• phil fan says:

This year with the increased popularity of Harbaugh’s Niners we seem to be getting a new crop of ‘wiseguys’ and guys like dogdick to pile on the bandwagon. But they don’t seem to wanna talk football but mainly about How we go about being fans. Isn’t there enough of that on other sites?

Dogdick

27. reddog says:

Some of you sound like the chumps that call into talk radio that want to trade a mediocre player
    for a star. Why don’t we trade one Johnson, JJ to the Lions for another Johnson, Calvin?
    yeah, why not?
    You must think all front offices are dumb as rocks like Seattle and Arizpna.
    If Josh Johnson is cut the 49ers are saying he’s not even a third string backup.
    That’s a WD in my book.

Its not impossible we get a trade for JJ, just improbable. To keep 4 QB on the roster means losing a spot to a more likely contributor since the attrition rate to get to your 4th string QB would have to be just about uncharted.

Even if a trade were possible how high a draft pick are we looking at? A 7th or maybe a sixth? Seems like its not worth dropping a guy who is on the bubble right now, a known commodity, to “maybe” get a 6th pick next year.

Despite the coaches remarks I don’t see it happening but we will see soon enough.

Lets enjoy the pre-season game. It means little but what the heck a lot of stuff means little.

The point is, ‘Dog, that a team like AZ is hurting badly at QB. JJ is likely better or as good as Skelton, let alone Kolb, who looks to be a wash-out. Or say, the 40 year old rook goes down in Cleve. There will be desperate teams soon. They could very well turn JJ into a couple picks. 4th and 5th? Better than cutting him loose. They can stash any number of marginal guys on the PS til they make the trade. If nothing develops, they cut him loose.

Hey, it’s something to talk about. 12th, I’m not advocating carrying 4 all year. Just for maybe 4 weeks tops.

New game day post is up…………………..