The Continuing Saga Of Michael Crabtree . . .

Or, As the Ankle Turns. This guy’s a goddamn soap opera wrapped in a reality show wrapped in an ankle brace. For the 2nd time in 2 years, Michael (practice? PRACTICE?? We’re not talking GAME. Practice???) Crabtree hurt himself on the 1st day of practice. Year one of course was the Year of the Holdout. This guys is a walking Alan Iverson in shoulder pads. You know Crabtree. The guy who spent last offseason ignoring his quarterback, dissing his ass, and disappearing in the playoffs. He had a decent enough season, but he and Smith have about as much chemistry as do oil and water.  Any route over 10 yards usually didn’t work.

I’m sure you guys are familiar with my misgivings about the guy. He can’t seem to understand how to read defenses. He rarely reacts to Smith being under pressure, and thus trying to get open. He for the life of him cannot run slants as he doesn’t turn his head fast enough to catch the slant. The few games I’ve seen live, and when they deign to show replays of routes, he never adjusts to Smith when protection breaks down, and he doesn’t turn for the ball if Smith breaks contain. All I hear is how wonderful he is. He’s a mean blocker. That’s all well and good, but I want my WRs to be able to catch a slant or improvise to help his QB.

I thnk the best thing to happen was for Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to come here, as it certainly knocks Crabs down off his esteemed position of being the automatic #1. He’ll fall even further if he remains on the sidelines.

105 Responses to The Continuing Saga Of Michael Crabtree . . .

Listen, I’m not the biggest Maxi Pad fan myself, but let’s get one thing straight. He IS the #1 WR on this team, and will continue to be so as long as he’s healthy. He will not, I repeat NOT be remaining on the sidelines. Of the 42 REGULAR season games he’s been eligible to play, he’s started 40. I don’t know what the league avg. is for starting WRs, but I dare say it’s not above 95%. And I know you’re not the biggest fantasy football fan, your Unca’s Army prove that each and every year. But Maxi Pad is projected far and away by EVERYONE to be our biggest producer at WR. Let’s face facts: We’re gonna have to put up with a WR who’s on his period for another 16 games this year. Pass the Midol.

And oh BTW, I loved how you blamed all the miscommunication between he and Alex on Maxi Pad. It’s never Alex’s fault. Well, the fish ain’t bitin’ on that one today.

And oh BTW x2, how dare you diss that Macho Grande clip? Yes, “Airplane II: The Sequel” was nowhere near as funny as the original, but that scene was a classic. Anytime I meet someone named “Andy,” “Buddy” or “Howie” in a bar, I break out that routine. It’s always a crowd-pleaser. But you have to factor in the people I associate with. They get memorized if I show them a shiny new quarter.

Memorized? It’s mesmerized, skippy. Crabs is a chump until proven otherwise. Smith and VD have no problem hooking up deep. Crabs is wasting what talent he has.

3. I think we can all agree that Maxi Pad is the perfect moniker for Crabs- until proven otherwise. Lord it must be that time of month again… pass the Midol.

Yeah his talent won’t sit if he’s healthy but at the very least we can say he’s accident prone or he has weak wheels and a big ego. Can’t really blame Alex for Max’s attitude. Alex has his faults, not sayin’ otherwise but Max is being challenged maybe for the first time in his life on the field. Harbs did a good job getting him to produce last year but he does have a history of early injuries and missing camp. Thank God we have other / more options this year.

BTW Del I’m good any time on the Draft for the ESPN FF league. Fire away.

While we’re talking about pads I thought this comment by Jerry Rice would fit right in:

Jerry Rice Could Not Be More Wrong on Alex Smith and the 49ers Offense

“Rice’s full statement is as follows: “I seriously think they got to take the diaper off this guy and let him play. Let him be a grown man.”

We’re talk’in practice! Practice!

When he actually practices more than 1/2 a day, I might think there’s hope for the guy. As it is, fuck him. He wants out in the worst way. I’d trade his ass if he could ever get on the practice field.

Phil, Rice is not entirely wrong. They CAN go a little more free-wheeling, but they DON’T have to go overboard. The offense WAS given to Smith slowly and with small steps at first. They did fall into the same traps as before at timjes. 3 and outs, lousy drives, no ball control. There were too many punts and FGs.

But like I said, they can certainly do this is the constraints of the current system. They really need to fix the 3rd down efficiency and ball-control aspect of the offense.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I agree. We should NOT become the Packers or Pats. Keep running to throwing at around a 50-50 ratio. Just find ways to be more effective when you DO throw. Convert 38-ish to 40% on third down. Have a competent, capable passing game – you don’t have to go all fucking Mouse Davis here.

• phil fan says:

Right, given all the turmoil with the strike, new regime, etc last year the coaching was trying “not to lose” on offense with glimpses of what could be done with the then personnel. It worked with ST and D helping tremendously but the O ran out of gas right at the end. Rare ST blunders by the playa who shall not be mentioned were too much given our liabilities, 3rd down, red zone, WR.

It was kind of a gag post but I agree we don’t need to go crazy on O to be an improved team this year. Will be velly velly interesting to say the least.

Hmmm, well I figured out how to follow the blog all on my own but don’t see anywhere to join, maybe because I use a tablet not a computer or maybe I’m a little slow today.
    12th man

Ooh lookie here, it knows who I am after all!

Yer fine. Welcome aboard. Things are kinda slow, unless someone gets a bug up their ass regarding Crabs or Alex.

Grumpy, we have been running to set up the pass, I think it should be the other way around and we should use the spread sprinkled in a little more to achieve it.
    Granted that means Alex will be required to do more but if he is capable of it the offense will be productive.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I’m down with that. I’d always rather get 8 yards on first and ten, and need 2 on second; than get two on first down, and need eight on second.

To make it work, Alex has to be much better at seeing the field and making decisions. The ball needs to come out at the right time. The linemen have to do their jobs… so do the receivers and backs.

My theory about championships is that, each year, a half dozen or slightly more teams are within striking distance, with the talent and coaching to make a run. Who succeeds there is largely a matter of luck – avoiding injuries, catching opponents at the right week, and above all, getting hot in January when it counts.

Chances of that falling into place, for one of those legitimate contenders: 4-1 at best, down below 6 or 7:1 for some. Which is about the odds I’ve give us this year. Same odds the Giants start with, and only slightly better than the Packers, the Pats, the Ravens. The second tier teams – Phil, Wash, Chi, Atl, NOla, SD, Pitt, Cincy, SD… all those teams sit at 12-1 or so.

The 49ers had a 18-year run at the top of their game, from 1981 to 1998. You can drop the awful 1982 season if you like, but still, 17 years within range of the top of the mountain.

We got there 5 times in those 17 years. When we were not only very good but lucky and healthy….We succeeded about once in 3.4 seasons on average. Pretty close to that hypothetical 4:1. The other years, Montana was hurt, Dean got old, Eric Wright got hurt, we got terrible calls on penalties at bad times, we could not cover Anthony Carter or block Keith Millard, we could not keep Jim Burt out of Joe Montana’s ribcage, injuries to Hofer or Clark or or Board or Wright or Williamson gave opportunities to the opponent
      that we could not stop.

The chances of winning two SBs in a row with 4:1 odds: 16:1. It’s happened, with some of the best teams of the last half century. But not anywhere near every year. Chance of the ‘Threepeat”: 64:1. A real longshot. It will happen with some team this century, but it is a very difficult thing to achieve.

The point? Be THANKFUL. We are in position to be able to make a real, no bullshit run at number six. MAYBE we get it in this season, maybe not. But it looks to me that we are on the cusp of another great era… a new generation with astute management when we live at the base camp, and are capable in any given year of making that final ascent if conditions are right. There are NO guarantees, but the franchise, for the first time in a decade, has a real potential to take it all. The next few seasons promise to be fascinating.

• phil fan says:

Nice analysis Grumpy. Thanks. Last year the D and ST were very good and we always had a chance seemed like. If we can get the O, passing game and OL working at a high level (not to mention the QB) we’ll be in the hunt.

Let’s see, it’s been 17 years + since we were in the big dance so by yer odds I’m thinking we should be due for 2 SB wins in a row. Right? : )

Training camp will provide enough arguments to go around Chuck.
    Thx for the invite.

Nice job, Grump. Yeah, through the ‘great’ years, the Super Bowl rate was still relatively lacking. The thing was, the NFC back then was loaded with strong teams. Maybe not in the NFC west, but Dallas and GB were always strong. The Giants were perennial contenders. It is a hard row indeed to hoe. This is still true today.

The way the NFL is set up, a dark horse can easily come in and make a run, as the Niners did last year. It will be harder, as no one will be pencilling in a niner game as a win. I think Philly especially didn’t expect ant resistance once they got their lead on the 49ers. Now, we are concensus picks for the NFC title. No one will take the game lightly.

A team’s identity takes place on the field. Until they play for real we can only guess. We can only expect or anticipate their worth.

Beside Chuck’s complaints that Maxi Pad doesn’t adjust to Alex under pressure to make it easier for him to get off a pass and doesn’t look back to adjust to the ball (or actually catch slants) here’s an article with more on what Max might do to become better:

San Francisco 49ers: What Michael Crabtree Can Learn from Randy Moss

So Maxi Pad missed his fourth straight practice today. The avg. menstruation lasts four days. If nothing else, Crabtree’s on schedule.

17. Fine, Max has PMS but what about AJ Jenkins? Well according to Grant Cohn of the Press Democrat blog ‘Inside the 49ers’ the rookie Jenkins is a lousy stinkin’ bust because “a coach yelled at him today for running the wrong route”. Imagine that. A coach yelled at a player! Grant Cohn has taken the PD blog as heir of Maiocco and Branch and turned it into his own little whine machine. And crystal ball: Jenkins is a bust, trust me. Maiocco said to give it two years then we’ll know. But no Crystal Ball Cohn got it all figured out right after the draft and after two days of TC. His readers ripped him a new one for this latest piece of crap on Jenkins BTW.

Shit we got another candidate for a Maxi Pad Award this season. Crystal Ball Cohn. Moron

18. Grumpy Guy says:

Jesus Christ but your buddy Bullit is funny, Chuck.

One of the worst afflictions a man can have is not knowing when to shut his mouth and let it go.

Still. Free entertainment and all.

Heh heh. Between him and Berger, it’s like arguing with children.

20. Grumpy Guy says:

I don’t understand… “like”?

Heh heh. Bullit talks of going to games at Kezar in the 50s. Which puts him in his 60s? He’s acting like a smitten school girl. Much like Berger and his love for Nate Schierholtz. There’s no quarter discussing these guys. Trading Pence for Nate was (according to Berger) was a tragic move for the Giants. Since Nate hit a home run yesterday, the Pence trade was a bust.

Right. The guy who averages 20 HRs and 80 RBIs a year is worse than the guy who averages 4 HRs and 17 RBIs a year.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I like Berger. He’s at least a funny guy. Bullit is like a schoolmarm preaching about the dangers of the clap. He can’t stand that anyone has a contrary opinion. I honestly think he fought with V so long he turned into what he hated.

Yeah, I did that for a while with V myself. At some point you let it go. Plus, the Insider is pretty bad now anyway, so I don’t even bother reading that. The Giants Splash blog is MUCH worse. The only sites I really deal with are this, Skeebs, and a couple Giants blogs.Yeah, Bergs at least has a sense of humor. His drunken posts? Fuck ’em. He went off yesterday on another blog about how the Giants got fleeced by the Phillies and wouldn’t stop with the Nate bullshit after Pence didn’t hit 4 HRs in his Giants debut. The repetitive over-and-over shit gets annoying as hell.

Reno’s cool. As much shiite as we’ve thrown at each other over the years, I think half of it is just for the sake of thowing shiite at each other. No problems here.
    Crabs would excel as a #2. That’s been my opinion for a long time and I’m sticking to it. As for #1, meh – JJ Stokes reincarnated.

• philippinefan says:

Far as the WRs go it’s still a work in progress till we have some evidence things have changed. Caution aside, we should be greatly improved with Moss, Manningham and Maxi Pad battling it out for the #1 position with VD adding to the mix. Crabs a #1? Yeah in the injury dept.

23. Berger says:

Berger slept here!

24. Bergs is awright. I don’t get into the beesball shit so we have no quarrels. Funny is good and the drunken stuff, well I’ve been there too.

Skeebutt is another story. Fuck him

25. philippinefan says:

Speaking of dickwads, I had a sudden total recall the other day and remembered Schwarzenegger in Terminator II (I think) saying to the little kid “I’ll be back, Dickwad”.

Yes! I knew that fine expression had a great pedigree!

26. philippinefan says:

Jenkins a bust? Maiocco takes a rational approach:

“It’s because of Manningham that I don’t see how rookie A.J. Jenkins can make much of an impact as a rookie. Jenkins has neither been outstanding or bad. And, as expected,
    he does not appear ready to challenge Manningham, Crabtree or Moss for a spot within the team’s top three.”

“Q: Why is Mario Manningham being so overlooked this off-season? Wasn’t he a sneaky good pick up? (Alex Sawyer)

Whenever I write or talk about the 49ers’ receivers, I mention Mario Manningham, along with Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss, as the team’s top three receivers.

Yes, Manningham was a very good pickup for the investment. He signed a two-year contract, and he is a starter-quality receiver. I’d expect Manningham to hold down the job as the No. 3 wideout, while also rotating into games as one of the top two guys on occasion.”

Fucking Bullthead is a moron of epic proportions. he gets up a 6:30 in the morning to start the bullshit with Crabs up again.

My favorite scene from T-1 is when Ahnuld is in some guy’s apartment, and the landlord knocks on the door. All these ‘acceptable’ replies scroll across his field of vision. He picks . . .

The most emotional, at least to me, scene in the movie is when Sarah is sitting in her jeep at the gas station and looks at the Polaroid of herself. Talk about looking in the mirror and self-evaluating one’s entire life while you “fill it up.” That’s a shitload more than gas going into her tank. That hit home to me…

• Grumpy Guy says:

My college buddy and I being assholes, we always liked to ‘count down’ after the guy tells Sarah “not to worry, there are 30 cops in the building”.

30… 29… 28…. 27…

For a low budget flick, it was pretty decently done.

Yeah, they tried so hard to generate tag lines. I’ll be baack! Fuck you, asshole!

That movie actually put Arnold on the map. Mainly because it wasn’t a Conan movie. There was a little acting involved. His agent didn’t want him to do it because he was the bad guy. Arnold said fuck that, and rolled.

I have 2 friends that did special effects on that movie. They partied with Arnie quite a bit on set, said he was a fun guy to hang with.

Yeah, i met him when I lived in Colorado back in the 80s. Thought he was a hot-shot, but then again he was! Yeah, Nice. I beat him in the Aspen town downhill when I was a ski bum.

He has/had a restaurant on main St between Venice and Santa Monica in So Cal, he greeted me and my then wife as we went inside. Funny thing was we didn’t even know he owned it. Small world Chuck.

Not much to report on, other than the fact that Michael Crabtree missed his 6th practice of the 2012 season, and is in danger of missing his 13th straight preseason game.

Michael, meet the bench.

So glad we paid this guy missions to loaf around, and talk shit about his QB. Can’t wait til he splits for Dallas, and Donte Whitner lays him out.

Chuck its annoying Crabs is following his established pre season routine again but I don’t see a benching unless Manningham, Williams, Napalm light it up big time. At the end of the day he does contribute and has skills, it would be an unexpected step for Harbaugh to sit him.

Personally speaking I think it might do him some good to sit a game or 2, just would be surprised if it happens.

Well, he’s missed enough practices to not be able to play in the 1st preseason game. That’s already decided, if you believe Maiocco. The problem has ALWAYS been Crabs and Smith rarely connect on anything other than comeback routes. Slants are a mystery. He rarely gets open quickly, and he cannot for the life of him get his head around to look for Smith if he breaks contain. Granted, up until this point, no one not named VD has been able to figure this dilemma out either. Now I have hope Mario or Moss can at least provide some ability to open up the underneath a little more so a guy like Crabs can get open. But, again, Crabs is not out there getting his reps. He’s in no hurry to get on the field. This is my opinion, but really, it’s annoying as hell that it seems that all he has time to do is dog his QB. His attitude screams ‘get me out of here.’

Harbaugh has little patience for shit like this. If he sits for the first 2 preseason games, then I think he misses a regular game or 2. In other words, if these other guys are making progress with Alex, then why waste a spot with Crabs? If he ain’t in synch, I think he’ll get sat. Shawntae Spencer was the #1 CB until competition was brought in, and he shot right to the bottom of the depth chart. It’s not like this hasn’t happened before.

Florio over at PFT is making similar noises as you Chuck. He implies that much more TC missed can open the door to other WR to start opposite Moss who seems a lock to begin the season as the #1 at this point.

I wonder if its Florio’s opinion or if he’s hearing whispers?

Florio’s stealing my stuff.

Lol, you may be right since Florio only repeats other peoples stuff anyway.

We definitely have the good stuff over here. Thieves, rotten stinkin’ thieves..

I always liked “Thick as Thieves” starring Alec Baldwin. Underrated little crime-drama with some good character actors.

Hey! There’s an actual football game on later this afternoon (5 PM PDT) to get things going.
    HOF Game from Canton. Cards and Saints. The NFL.Net has a 3-hr. pregame show.
    Gotta love it…

Finally, let the games begin!!!

What’d I miss? Saw you pick up the gauntlet with Bullithead. Too funny. Some guys just love punishment.

Went river rafting down the Middle fork of the American river. Frigging crazy. What a blast.

Hey, Chuck. Why doesn’t Bullit ever post on your blog? This goes back to even before your guys’ recent superfluous tirade on Maxi Pad? Jesus H. Christ. If you guys had to speak what you actually typed about Crabtree, you’d both be needing some O2 straight from the canister.

You didn’t miss much Chuck, rafting is way more fun.

I don’t have anything personal with Bullit. I like to read his stuff and he finds some cool links to things, but this thing with defending Crabs has me baffled.

Everyone has a POV but Bullit was so tenacious in his defense of Crabs even in the face of logical well thought out points from many people. The consensus is enough already with Crabs TC stuff.

The more it went on the harder Bullit tried to find parts of an argument he could parlay into some kind of defense. He keeps moving the goal posts in order to be able to make even a partial defense, I didn’t get it.

He’s entitled to his opinion but that goes for all of us too, why get so entrenched? Speaking for myself, if someone has a valid point and it makes sense I’m willing to rethink my position, I just get a sense that Bullit painted himself into a corner a little bit and couldn’t concede the point.

I know he reads here so this is not an attempt to talk being his back, just answering your question the way I see it.

Dennis, where can I get the lowdown on your FF league?

The yahoo league is ID # 359698 (49er Insider) The password is “Lott” But now that I think of it, I need to send you an invite. Leave me your e-mail address here, or, if you’re not comfortable publishing it, send it to me personally at: dunkirkwantsrevenge@comcast.net and I’ll send you the info.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, I have no clue. Bergs was scared off by Spitty when I started the new blog, and Bullit never came over here much. Phil balied on Skeebs for some undetermined reason and posts only here now. It’s like a soap opera. As The Ankle Turns. Or The Edge of Wetness . . .

12th, as far as FF goes, I just let the computer pick my team. You get what the highest rated position player is at that given time. You can then trade or sign free agents. I’m in a baseball one, and I was in 1st place for about 2 months. Then all my pitchers axploded, and I’m in 7th. Yeah, I don’t know why Bullit’s so adamant about Crabs. And it’s hard not to give him a hard time when he changes the argument with every post and gets all frothy. I guess i shouldn’t encourage him, but I couldn’t get why he didn’t just read and understand my point?

51. Hey guys I can’t help with Bullit, Skeebs, or even Maxi Pad. I wish Bergs would come over here like Grumpy does again- It’s safe!

But I have an important announcement: My good wife got a big laugh about our AHNuld discussion and has apparently chased down the T-2 quote I was looking fer:

“Chill, Dickwad”. Arnold to the kid…

She downloaded the Utube clip (and the whole fucking movie) which I’ll try to post here once I get my hands on it. There! “Dickwad” has an impeccable pedigree.

Sweet.

52. If I ever make the mistake of posting @ skeebers again I may change my name to

‘Chill Dickwad’

53. Crab’s ankle? How ’bout Jesse’s heart?

Sapolu exposes his fears and his personal life in a upcoming book called “I gave my heart to San Francisco,” which is due out in October. Sapolu’s thoughts on the 49ers, Jim Harbaugh and his heart condition are covered in this interview with Rod Brooks and me. (Eric Branch)

(sorry link expired)

Don’t DL the whole movie here plz.

Wow. Bullit has gone around the bend. He’s ready for the funny farm. The Hysterical Hilton. The Broken Arms. The Rubber Ramada. What a fucking loon. Some people like abuse, but he seems to enjoy posting really supid shit and getting beat over the head with it.

I’m glad I don’t know any of these weird guys you guys know. The way you describe them they come across as miserable misfits!

• phil fan says:

Nailed it Nip. There’s a long list of argumentative bozos hanging around. Last one we had over here was Spitblood but the coast has been clear for quite a while now. Thankfully.

Maxi Pad is back on the practice field this morning. The power of Midol.
    But I still foresee some cramps in his future.

Yeah, I don’t think he gets on the field this friday.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Press conference with Jimbo, Delanie and Goldson starting NOW.

So first PS game is Friday. I hope everyone is ready. Also I see that there will be a game every Thursday night this year. yes I am just catching up on football news!! Giants are in first place and they take priority.

Yay. Crabs took part in the individual WR drills but nopt in the full practice.

Say goodbye to playing on Friday. Or to being a starter on 9/9/12.

Repeat after me: If healthy to play the regular season, like he usually is, Michael Crabtree will be our leading wide receiver. Vernon Davis doesn’t count. Forty9rfaithful and I traded his ass 100x over years ago…

62. wiseguy says:

So Fridays game is nationally televised? What network?

Wiseguy, as far as I can tell it’s only regional (local) coverage. It doesn’t show up on ESPN, NFL, or the usual networks.

The only national Niner preseason game is the Sunday 8/25 game vs Dennis’ latest beat-off guy, Peyton manning and the Denver Nags.

The Friday game locally to Nor Cal is CBS.

DirecTV carries it on there NFL package I think.

Just checked, DirecTV does have all the inner pre season games

Thanks, 12th. Wasn’t sure if they carried those.

NEW POST, BTW . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . .

Auto correct SUX! Niners