Are You Ready For Some Football? Dashon Goldson is . . .

Oh, yeah. Boseephus was banned for life . . . Anyhow, here on the Niner front, the team has pretty much settled in nicely. The defense doesn’t have many positions up for grabs. In fact the entire starting 11 are returning for the 2012 season. That is, if Dashon Goldson decides to sign and play rather than pout and sit.  Goldson signed his franchise tender, and reported to camp today for the opening of camp tomorrow. So, the positions up for grabs appear to be all backups.

On the offense however, there have been some changes. Gone are Moran (shudder) Norris, Braylon (who?) Edwards, Justin (whoo whoo?) Peelle, and Josh (I got hurt at the worst possible time, and during garbage time, to boot) Morgan. Soon to go look like Anthony Dixon, Kyle Williams, and Bruce Miller among a long list of non-roster invitees. Miller would be hard to see go, as he had a great year blocking, and made some nice plays out of the backfield. However, the addition of Rock Carwright may make Miller expendable.

Spots to be contested for are of the backup variety. As in, who will be the #1 backup at QB? Nominally, Cappy Kaepernick is the #2 guy, but Jim Harbaugh has declared it an open competition among Josh Johnson, CK, and Scott Tolzein. Realistically, one of these guys is not going to make the team. The likely scenario that plays out is AS stays #1, CK is 2, JJ is #3, and Scotty goes to the practice squad. However, the possibility exists that JJ doesn’t do well, and Tolzein forces a move on to the active roster. In that case JJ is gone. Either cut, or traded some time during the preseason.

Frank Gore is the nominal starter, but I’m pretty sure he’ll get spelled a lot more than he has in recent years. His ankles have been giving him problems for a few years now, and keeping him fresh is a priority. His backup falls to either Kendall (end zone) Hunter, newly acquired Brandon Jacobs, rookie LaMichael James (bitch), or the more than likely gone Anthony Dixon. I don;t have any idea how they are planning on using Jacobs, but my thought is he’ll be a 3rd down/short yardage/goal line guy. They will likely line both of them up some of the time, and feature either one at various times. I’d think Hunter is the one who will get the bulk of the backup load. Unless James really impresses and catches on fast. He would be a big change of pace, but I think he’ll be eased in as the season progresses.

WR is a bit muddied. From what has been talked about during camp, among the players and coaches at least is that  Randy Moss is being the consummate pro, and is showing the young WRs how to conduct themselves during practice and during meetings. If Randy can get Crabs to pull his overinflated head out of his ass and produce on the field instead of at the altar of cool aloofness, then Moss is already worth it. I’m not too worried about Moss as this is likely his last stop. If he blows this, it’s an ignominous end to a sometimes brilliant, and likely Hall of Fame career. Mario Manningham is a given. He’s proven his ability to be a clutch guy, and appears to have gotten over the dropsies that plagued him early in his career.  Then there’s Crabs. AJ Jenkins is going to stay. If they keep 6 WRs, that leaves a bevy of guys for the last 2 spots. Kyle (what, me worry?) Williams is supposedly benefitting from Moss’s presence as well, but his future remains cloudy. He showed some potential, but wasn’t nearly consistent enough, disappeared for long stretches at a time, and then there’s the plays I shall not mention. Swett Brain was signed to a one-year deal, but he was invisble last year. Chris Owusu, the UDFA from Stanford, could possibly force his way onto the team, but he most likely goes to the taxi squad as well.

TE? VD and Byham are locks. Konrad Reuland looks like he could get the #3 spot.  Walker has never thrilled me much, but the battle is between those 2. They won’t keep 4 with Ice, Staley, and Tukafu waiting in the wings.

66 Responses to Are You Ready For Some Football? Dashon Goldson is . . .

I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done.
    — Steven Wright

Our author is the new edgier Chuck. This is a good thing. EX: Agree it would be good if Moss can get Crabcakes to “pull his head out of his ass”.

Speaking of receivers I wanna throw this in Del Mar’s (sweet?) face:

Quoting Maiocco on twitter:

31. RT @breddog7 Who has bigger role this year: La Michael James or AJ Jenkins? > James. I can’t see how Jenkins cracks into top-3 WRs

32. RT @terrywoo Jenkins sounds like a disaster of a pick. > Really? You haven’t even seen him yet. Maybe in two years you can make that judgment.

33. RT @rkg115 does aj jenkins remind you of kentwan balmer in demeanor? > Not at all. I think Jenkins’ attitude is reason he’ll probably be pretty good.

Take that Dennis. You’re in an army of one on yer opine of AJ Jenkins.

Makes no difference if I’m an army of one or if I co-starred with Bruce Campbell in “Army of Darkness.” The Niners would get more production out of a zombie than Jenkins this year.

• phil fan says:

I shouldn’t blather at ya too much since I have a short fuse with the Goldson antics- an irrational desire to slap him to the curb.

Serious, why don’t you like/why are you so negative on AJ Jenkins? Just wondering…

It’s not so much me being anti-Jenkins per se, I was just totally against going WR with our first pick. And the fact that they chose Jenkins over a couple others who were still on the board (Stephen Hill, even that prick A. Jeffrey) didn’t help matters. Hey, A.J. might turn out to be the best of the bunch. I hope he does. One thing I do know. He’d have a better chance if Peyton Manning were throwing him the ball.

• phil fan says:

Yeah Manning has been better than Smythe but going forward maybe not so much. We’ll see. As for Jenkins or any WR what should we have done instead?

Serious, I’m just curious what yer thinking Denny. BTW Are You Ready Fer Some Football?

I’m ready for a Phil cocktail. After all it’s the Happy part of the day.

4. Grumpy Guy says:

Goldson just signed his Franchise tag tender for 2012.

Ahh, ya beat me to it, Grump. As he said, Goldson signed his tender and will report to camp today for the opening of training camp tomorrow. Good news for all.

As per the byzantine rules regarding franchise tags and such, the team cannot discuss any kind of deal with Goldson until after the season ends. So neither side will be distracted by any any of this.

Goldson on signing his one-year tender: “It ain’t bad money.”

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. If he tears his ACL the first week of practice you won’t see me shedding any tears.

He’s treading close to Latrell Sprewell and his “I got to feed my family” remarks.

Last I heard, he was sleeping on his mama’s couch.

7. philippinefan says:

Not sure what it is about Goldson that pisses me off so much. Prolly like Sprewell it’s his attitude as much as his on field gaffes. Sprewell was the champ of the piss poor attitude morons tho.

8. philippinefan says:

Ok Chuck we just signed Leonard Davis to provide insurance at RG. At 6’6″ and 355 he’s a big boy to help fill that possible hole. Shit Boone is skinny next to this guy.

One report (Barrows) has L Davis at 375 lbs, coming off a broken foot and 33 yeahs old. Insurance. Policy. And YES I’m ready fer some football.

Leonard Davis is doing all he can to eat hiimself out of the league. Maybe with a camp under his belt, he’ll get down to plahying weight. 320 if possible.

We now have a strong right side of the line of Davis, Davis, and Davis. As if I needed help being confused.

12. rtfirefly2 says:

At least we’ll know who to blame if the right side of the pocket collapses…

ESPN is covering football training camps like it means something. Remember when the camps were hidden away from the media except for a few press reporters?

• phil fan says:

Yeah Nip you got it: Seeing the blathering Media from here they are a pack of whores but not as much fun.

Politics? Partisan whores. Economics, jobs? Whores in denial. >because this country is sliding into the shit can and not ONE of the MSM can summon the balls to …notice…hello!<

Fine, let's stick to football.

So we got one distraction after another while da US squanders our capital like the Niners under Dr York? Yes we do and we know how that turned out. Not too good. That's why I root for the Niners like I did in 1982, etc: Please give me something to believe in!

In Harbaugh We Trust!

If you can’t trust football, what can you trust?

I tell ya though, it’s nice to have some faith that they will field a strong team. They may not make it all the way (there are too many variables to even say that) but they have the foundation of a string team that will be in the hunt. For a few years anyway.

Accorduing to Jim Harbaugh, there’s a 3 way tie for the #2 QB spot. However, Cappy is the de-facto #2 as of now.

16. philippinefan says:

That man Harbaugh knows how to light a fire and motivate the troops doesn’t he?

Just saw the press conference with Moss and Smith. Missed Harbaugh.

Moss was loose and smiling. Sez the offinse is a work in progress, and he’s having a blast with all the young players on the team. He also said he’s not asking what the NFL can do for him, but what he can do the the NFL. A JFK moment. Alex was Alex. Said he and Randy haven’t had any one-on-one dates yet, but that they are working every day to get better.

• phil fan says:

Nice all that. Read where Moss is taking the cautious approach to saying how he thinks the season will turn out: Roughly “We have our goals; we’re working hard; we’ll see how it goes”. Smart, no upside in making crazy predictions.

Won’t stop me for calling 11-5 this year tho…

From Matt Barrows:

A contrite and full-healed Aldon Smith spoke for the first time since being stabbed earlier this month. Said Smith: “Letting everybody down was probably the saddest part. But I’m back to 100 percent and I’m ready to go. I just feel after the incidents that happened and the expectations that were set for me, I feel like I let the fans – and everybody that looked at me like that – down. … It’s helped my focus out. I’m really focused more than ever, not to say that Iwasn’t in the beginning. But I’m focused more than ever and I’m ready to go.” Smith, who received staples to close the stab wounds, will not miss any time in training camp.

Hard to believe that this team is where it is now, with high expectations, a great coaching staff, and solid players in almost every position on both sides of the ball, AND a new stadium under construction, compared to the chaos and negativity under the late Sing regime featuring Jimmy Hat and Hostler. Nearly unbelievable, IMO. Amazing what a good head coach will do for an organization…

Yeah, Snarkk. When Sing’s paranoid reign was in full bloom, I made the point that HE was the de facto GM, president, and CEO of the team , as well as the head coach. They ALL looked to him as the spiritual and physical force that was providing the direction of the team. “Physical with an F.” “I’m glad AZ kicked our butts.” “I want winners.” On and on, his persona was one of personal accountability and manning up. When his regime went through its death throes though, the entire organization looked like a clusterfuck of individuals who didn’t know what the others were doing at any given time. No lines of communication other than the byzantine spaghetti mess inside Singletary’s head. He was finding rats on the sinking ship, he was switching QBs at will, guys that sucked were steadfastly started (Norris, Chilo, Mays) even though their replacements were often better. Smith was fucked with, as were others along the way.

Harbaugh, and now the team, front office, and everyone else, appears to be a well-oiled machine from Jed on down that has the groundwork in place to be a force for years to come. I figured Harbaugh coming in would be worth 2 or 3 more wins from the get-go in 2011. That he got 7 mopre wins out of basically the same organization speaks volumes to what he has instilled and installed onto this team.

• phil fan says:

Well said, agree. It’s hard Not to be optimistic but I guess taking it one game or step at a time is the best route forward. Go Niners

Well, file this in the Really? file. Michael Crabtree missed the last 20 minutes of practice with an ankle injury.

In more camp news:

Alex Smith hit Randy Moss twice on beautiful over-the-shoulder deep balls. Moss yelled, “Way to got Alex!” after the first one.

Oops, that would be, Moss yelled: “Way to go, Alex!” Then after the 2nd one, Smith walked over to Moss and gave him a big thumps up.

More on Moss: There’s more to say about him helping Aldon; see

Found this v. interesting; comment later

24. barleyfreak says:

“Soon to go look like Anthony Dixon, Kyle Williams, and Bruce Miller …”

I agree that Dixon is likely going to take his hair somewhere else. But Williams and Miller will both be back. And for the sake of my own sanity, I can no longer talk about, think about, or in any way hear about two certain plays in a particular NFC Championship Game. That and anything to do witht Singlenumbnut. Just thinking about that loser of a coach makes my head explode. Praise be to the present.

As for the QB, it is next to impossible to predict through snippets by the media. JH runs a tight TC and allows very little out to the world. What we see in PS games will be telling. That said, and based on essentially zero evidence, I predict CK is #2, Scott RR Tolkien is #3, and JJ (Stokes) is gone. Yeah, he was JH’s favorite son once upon a time. So what. Jim Harbaugh is a heartless bastard. Bless that heart.

Current odds on Crabtree playing a PS game? 7-1? 10-1?

Maybe even a tad higher. Turning his ankle on the first day of practice is a good way of keeping his streak alive. He’s inching his way into Alex Smith territory in terms of pissing me off. Still has a way to go, but he’s trending in the right direction…

Good to head about Aldon Smith and his awareness of his fuckups. He seems like a smart enough guy to realize he shouldn’t jeopardize his golden opportunity.

26. Grumpy Guy says:

I don’t understand this comment: “some” of us?

LMAO

First day of pads at practice today. I’m betting Crabtree’s will be maxi.

• phil fan says:

No doubt. Injury prone to say the least. At the combine he didn’t run because of an injured foot. Nothing’s changed with Crabtree…

Shit, if he sits he’s going to fall down the depth chart.

Jim Harbaugh’s opening statement today to reporters: “(WR) A.J. Jenkins was an outstanding football player when he got here. His progress has been very, very good and exceeded expectations. For those scribes, pundits, so called experts, who have gone as far to say that he is going to be a bust, should just stop. I recommend that because they are making themselves look more clueless than they’ve already did. To go on record, A.J.’s going to be an outstanding football player.”

Methinks Jimbo dost protest too much. I love a HC sticking up for his player. As well he should at all times, but this statement was unprovoked just like the rant Jimbo gave when he said we didn’t “pursue” Manning, but were just “evaluating” him.

Don’t insult my intelligence. Which after a few minor strokes, doesn’t take much effort any more. But I would appreciate the courtesy nonetheless.

Can’t help you with the Manning deal but with Jenkins we know Jimbo is a passionate man and will spout off what’s on his mind/in his gut every so often. He gets a bug up his butt and doesn’t hold back, that’s Coach. Not sure if he’s protesting “too much” or just making his point- to defend his rookie WR- emphatically. His saying-

“His progress has been very, very good and exceeded expectations. For those – the scribes, pundits, so-called experts who have gone as far as to say that he’s going to be a bust should just stop because they’re making themselves look foolish. I’m going to go on record and say A.J. Jenkins is going to be an outstanding football player.”

-Is right on. What player wouldn’t want to hear that from his coach? Players love this stuff. Puts the media on notice that “No free shots on my players; you look foolish; bet yer dead wrong”. Nobody is going to win a psych-war with Jim Harbaugh. Nobody is going to take control of the team, players or anything else away from Jim Harbaugh. Nobody. Last year he stood up for MaxiePad Crabcakes fer God’s sake. Called him a great team player, hardworker. I’m not convinced but Crabtree had a pretty decent year. Harbaugh’s not going to change thank God.

Harbaugh seems to have contempt for media types.

• phil fan says:

But less than the contempt some of them show for him and the team, etc

• phil fan says:

Here is some typical opine Nip of some of the fans of the Cohn act(s):

Jt_oSnowlovan says:
        July 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Niners hate Cohns. Sr Cohn is smarmy narcissist. Jr Cohn is too dumb to distance himself.

Rob says:
        July 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Obvious that Jim Harbaugh has no use for the Cohns, especially Lowell. Still, calling them out, as he threatened to do on Sunday, is childish.

Phil sez: Childish? Naw I disagree. Coach is saying to Lowell or whomever “Screw you dickwad, I’m not taking yer shit” That’s not childish; could be parental or more likely Adult to a little brat “Shove it pipsqueek”. Obviously I like

Sounds like the Cohen duo (LOwell/Grant) or Tim Kawakami are in mid-season form quizzing Jimbo on Jenkins and on the state of the practice field:

That’s apparently the context of Coach’s answer in Roman’s interview. Harbaugh will never bow to this kind of baloney. I’m glad he shot back at da weasel(s).

Can’t help ya with Manning tho.

Phil, nobody can help me with Manning. Peyton Manning is my “Macho Grande.”
      Dennis, over Peyton Manning? No. I don’t think I’ll ever get over Peyton Manning. Those wounds…run pretty deep.

• philippinefan says:

Ha, got to actually watch this vid clip- coconut internet actually working this AM. That’s rare. Only thing saves me from not seeing the games is that it’s usually early AM and the traffic is low so the live stream come through. Otherwise I would just have to read about it from you all later. Sad huh?

Matt Barrows‏@mattbarrows

“Day 3 recap: Justin Smith mows through backup offensive linemen like Godzilla through downtown Tokyo”

That made me laugh

With the Giants looking to make a swan dive, it looks like the Niners will take over the media attention soon. Every thought from Harbaugh will be duly noted and discussed. His power is increasing daily.

Our Giants get swept by the Dodgers, and you’re already singing their swan song. That’s even worse than me. But I gotta love ya for it. Humm Baby!

Airplane II? Weak sauce, Dennis.

New post………………………… …………………………………