It’s the End of the World As We Know It . . .

I guess the Mayans are right. 12.23.12 is the end of it all.  How else do you explain the fact that the 49ers and the Raiders are in 1st place after week 10 of the football season? I have no other explanation than this has to be a signal of the end times. Al Davis is freezing in hell.

Anyhow, back to the Giants game. Frank Gore is apparently good to go after suffering a left ankle injury in the Washington game. Different from the right ankle injury he suffered early in the year. People may lament all the touches Gore is getting these days (he’s on pace to break his career high of 312 carries in 2006), but the truth is, Gore doesn’t take a lot of big hits. He has an innate ability to slide away from big hits, and hard contact. His problems come when his legs get rolled up on in pileups, or guys are tackling him from behind and twist his ankles.

Be all that as it may, the Giants are a team that can be run on. Miami put up 150 on them, and AZ put up 177. Good passing teams have put up numbers on them as well. NE for 332, and StL for 308. Hard to know what the Giants are. They’ve beaten NE and Buffalo, but lost to Washington and Seattle. They eked out wins over 1-7 Miami and the 2-6 Cards, but easily handled the Rams and Iggles.  One would think our ball control offense would be able to get on top of these guys and roll like the last couple wins, but that is a losing proposition if the Niners go to sleep in the 2nd half like they have the last couple games. It would be imperative to keep the momentum rolling through the entire game if they can get on top of the Giants early. Eli Manning has 4 4th quarter comebacks of his own this year, so it would be in the 49ers best interest to play a full game. One much like the Tampa Bay game.

Still and all, I think the Niners pull this out. The Niner defense is built to shut down TEs, and they have done a great job rushing QBs with strictly 4 guys, so they can cover downfield well enough to stop Cruz and co. I’m thinking 27-17.

35 Responses to It’s the End of the World As We Know It . . .

Chuck, did the nuns used to whack you with the ruler when you told them Columbus discovered America in 1496? The world is ending 12/21/2012. No one is gonna be around to see December 23 next year. Well, that is if the Mayans are correct. And I wouldn’t bet against those guys. They were pretty good with numbers. And they were also one of the first cultures to gamble.

They gambled much more than just wealth when they played the Mayan Ball Game (Pokatok) — they gambled their lives. The losers were executed. I’d pay to see that game played today. The ratings for that sport would make the NFL look like women’s basketball.

As for our game Sunday…24-20 The New York Football Giants. Why do people still say that? The baseball Giants left NY a long time ago. There’s no need to distinguish the two. If you don’t know that by now I’m putting you on the losing Mayan Pakatok team.

The G-Men’s strength is their passing game (our weakness) and Eli. Hakeem Nicks practiced again today, and it *seems* like he’ll be a go Sunday. Add Cruz and Manningham and you have yourself quite a trio. Our pass rush must be effective to have a good chance. The Giants’ OL has yielded the 7th fewest sacks. Eli must go down. And he must go down hard.

And don’t be surprised if you see Kaepernick play Sunday — and not by design.

Yeah, except I told the nuns, how could Columbus ‘discover’ America when it was already full of people? I was a smart-ass even back then. Rather than debate the efficacy of converting ‘savages’ to Christianity, and then enslaving them, was really in the natives best interest, they’d just whack me with a ruler. They had no time for a 9 year old kid who questioned the existence of God, and wondered why the church was instrumental in starting the dark ages. I think I read too much Carl Sagan as a kid.

Whenever I see a yardstick, I cringe just a little and my fingers tingle . . .

I know many of you guys are married, and therefore are whipped. Don’t even bother to tell me otherwise. Accept it and move on…but I might have you beat. Frank cries at me when he wants his chair (my computer chair) back. Of course I acquiesce and sit in the less comfortable kitchen table chair. I’m literally pussy whipped.

But at least I don’t have to worry about the mother-in-law spending the weekend.

So, yer the crazy cat guy? Gotcha.

My mother in law is in a motorized wheel chair. It would take her about 14 days to get here from LA, so I’m pretty safe . . .

I think the Niners are safe again this weekend since Del is calling for the Gigantes. I cringe the day he gets excited about an upcoming game he thinks we’re gonna win. His streak is at 6 at the moment so he’s on a roll. We’re good. 24-14

Mother-in-law is on the next island to the north and she’s actually pretty cool. Coming here she has to cross the choppy Suriagao Strait where Admiral ‘Bull’ Halsey helped sink a second rate Japanese fleet. This at the time of the major battle of Leyte Gulf where we sank the last first rate Japanese fleet. The Japanese fleet now consists of whale hunting boats.

And that my friends is what the NY Gigantes are going to look like at 4:30 Sunday afternoon.

Phil, thanks for that little history listen. That’s the best thing about these blogs; learning little personal insights that you wouldn’t otherwise. You can only say Alex Smith Sucks so many times on a blog. Well, maybe you guys can only say it so much. I can and will keep saying it until the day I die.

Cheers and best of luck this weekend.

history “lesson” I should have listened better in typing class.

BTW, Rob didn’t even know about the pt change that reversed your outcome. I say if he doesn’t care enough to pay attention, he doesn’t deserve to win. If he doesn’t give me the winner for Sunday in Phoenix, I’m going to deduct 5 pts from his score last week and give you the W back. That’ll fix ’em. 😀

• phil fan says:

Good old rob, he’s an honest man! First I answered him straight then I saw the revision and thought ” Damn, that sneaky Rob set me up”, Now I find he’s okay after all and I’M the pathetic loser as I suspected all along! I hate it when that happens!!

(looks in tip jar again) Hey Dennis, we got 18 cents here and I’m gonna throw in another quarter. What’s yer price D? Gimme those 5 freaking points!

Speaking of giving out winners…

PIT -3 @ CIN — Big Ben
    KC -3 VS DEN — Tebow
    JAC -3 @ IND — Suck for Luck continues
    DAL -5 1/2 VS BUF — That’s my fantasy QB
    HOU -3 @ TB — Houston, hello!
    CAR -3 1/2 VS TEN — “Remember the Titans”
    MIA -4 VS WAS — The Fish shouldn’t be favored over Stanford
    ATL pick’em VS NO — Brees please
    CHI -3 VS DET — Lions ready to roar off the bye
    CLE -2 1/2 VS STL — When two shitty teams play each other; take the pts
    BAL -7 @ SEA — Home team + pts
    NYJ -1 1/2 VS NE — I like Gisele’s hubby
    GB -13 1/2 VS MIN — AP keeps it close enough

SF -3 1/2 VS NYG — Giants have a QB who’s won a Super Bowl. We have a QB who couldn’t get to the Super Bowl if he bought a ticket.

Fuck the points. Here’s who wins.

Pittsburgh is old and slow. Ginger boy smokes ’em.
      Tebow? Don’t make me laugh. He’s due a crash landing.
      Indy blows it and wins.
      Buff eats Promo for lunch
      TB in a close one
      Cam gets his pass on
      Miami/Wash? Who cares? Wash wins 2-0
      Atl beats an overrated NO team
      Loins in a walk
      StL roars to 2 wins
      Balt in a slaughter
      Drrty Sanchez to the rescue
      GB covers by 8, wins by 22
      Niners by 10

Haven’t really gotten a read on this game yet. Part of the reason is that I’m so nervous about the Cardinal game. No clue what happens there but I need to rally all the Mayans together and hope Luck somehow wins this one. Ironically, it will be Stanford’s run gm that keeps the Duck O off the field, eats up some time, and does just enough to beat those fuckers. I hope.

9. winder says:

We can always sic the tree on em, or is it still banned? I kinda liked the idea of a drunk redwood.

I loved it when years ago, while the spotted owl BS was going on up in Orygun, the Stanford band came out and formd a giant chainsaw. They were banned for life up there or some shit. Too funny.

Stanford can definitely win this, although it’ll be tough. Ball control is key. Much like the Niners. Although Oregon is much more explosive than the Giants.

If you could only have one W from the weekend, who would you choose. Stanford or the Niners?

That’s an easy one for me — Stanford needs to win to keep their B(C)S hopes alive. If the Niners lose tomorrow the only thing it will hurt is their pride and *maybe* a playoff seed. The 49ers don’t need to win tomorrow. But the Cardinal sure in the hell need to beat the Ducks today.

Go Tree!

How’s this for a fearless prediction: the G-Men will win tomorrow (24-20) to go 7-2 but will still miss the playoffs. The Giants have a brutal (at least on paper) remaining schedule. I can see them finishing 9-7 and losing the NFC East to a certain team that employs my fantasy quarterback.

I figure if I throw enough shit at the wall something is bound to stick sooner or later.

I didn’t have my “shit-smeared hand” in on this, but the Niners and you might be catching another huge break tomorrow…Mario Manningham became a late addition to the Giants’ injury report. He did something to his knee in practice and is now listed as QUESTIONABLE and will be a game-time decision.

Why might that be a huge break for you? I’ll give you three guesses who has Manningham slated to start on their fantasy team, and the first two don’t count.

14. twinfan1 says:

Giants don’t really defend anything real well, Chuckles might have noted that. Niners DO defend. 24-13, something like that.

15. twinfan1 says:

DT Denny, how did it go for you when Harbaugh declared that Alex was an elite QB? Were restraints needed or was a med increase enough?

I just said a prayer for Jimbo. A guy who makes a comment like that is obviously further down the road of derangement than I am. I can only hope that Harbaugh has not yet passed the line of senile demarcation. But, alas, I’m afraid it’s too late.

Alex Smith an elite quarterback? Wernicke-Korsakoff has claimed another victim.

Hopefully Alex can help us put an elite whipping on the Giants. It won’t convince Dennis but the rest of us could put on our “I told you so” faces.

Stanford got whipped I just saw. Ouch!

But the world welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao from my island just defended his title against Manuel Marquez of Mexico in Las Vegas by split decision. And it was close in this their 3rd fight. I thought Marquez won but okay then. He’s had a great history of rising from being a street kid, to now 8 time world champ in 5 (?) weight classes, currently a Philippine senator, singer. Humble guy, must have crossed himself 10 times before the fight and he needed every one of those prayers.

Hey he’s sorta like that underdog Alex Smith who has also risen from dog meat to elite NFL QB!
    I know he has all our prayers! Right Del?

This country shuts down when Manny fights, always on a Sunday PM after church over here:

Fight Blog:

Are you ready for the Giants? See ya then, phil

18. twinfan1 says:

There aren’t many who can say “I told ya so” about Alex. His Mom and me. Of course, we get all the “Same Old Alex” crap if he has a bad game. And believe me, the belief in Smith is skin deep- his bandwagon would completely empty with a poor game.

Hey, Chuck! Dez Bryant 34 yds from Tony “Promo.”

It would suck if you were playing a guy who had BOTH those players on his FF team.

Hey, Chuck Part Deux! Tim Tebow just ran for a TD. It would really suck if the guy you were playing who had Dez Bryant and Tony “Promo” also has Tim Tebow on their fantasy team.

Even funnier? The power to delete!

New POST

NEW POST

NEW post

new post

Hey, Chuck! Part Quatre: Do you really want to know what’s funny beyond belief?

If you look at the current score of the guy who has Tony “Promo” in his FF matchup. Believe it or not, the owner of Tony “Promo” is currently losing to the mook that he’s playing.

Now if you’ll please excuse me. I have a date with Messrs. Rope, Cyanide, Smith & Wesson.