Game Day — Shrink the Giants

Game time soon. My thoughts are the 49ers continue their winning ways. The Gians have given up a lot of yards to a lot of teams. Both in the air and on the ground. The concern is third down conversions. Keep the chains moving, and keep the drives going, and these guys should be fine. I think we win the battle of the trenches, and take it to Eli (can’t spell Eliza without Eli) Manning and force a lot of 3-and-outs.

27-17 . . .

209 Responses to Game Day — Shrink the Giants

1. twinfan1 says:

BTW, a perfectly ROASTED chicken has always been considered one of the gems of any cuisine. But, hey, maybe times have have changed and the great French chefs are all using the George Foreman Grill now…

I said Niners by 10, we got it done by 7 so all good. As I predicted the Giants were gonna look like the WWII Japanese fleets sitting at the bottom of the Surigao Strait and in the Leyte Gulf after Bull Halsey got through with them, lol. They will have to come back here in their current fleet of whale boats to try again maybe in the post-season. But it was close and a couple of dropped passes by Manninghan for TDs were the difference. Our pass D is going to have to play better!!

I didn’t throw out a prediction today, mostly because I’m a little under the weather and still smartin’ from the beat down the Cardinal took yesterday….
    Smith was fabulous today, Willis a beast, and is there any player more fun to watch than Justin Smith several minutes AFTER he makes a game saving play???????

My only complaint is that we are still trying to pass to Ginn. He needs to stick to PR/KR duties. The Niners were driving for 7 to close the half, and he gave that drive away. Williams must be terrible in practice, but I’d sure like to see him rather than Ginn.

Yweah, I had 27-17. Close again. But I nailed the call that the niners would come out throwing. NY cam out determined to stop Gore, and we passed on that defense.

• phil fan says:

Good call and maybe they know Gore is hurting so game planned to pass more. Yep Jimbo opened up the pass offense. Alex had 247 yards, geat game

What scares me is our pass D with a couple drops being the difference between a W and a L today. Rogers gotta be licking his chops, ditto Brees and Eli in a rematch.

BTW Gore said of his sitting out the 2nd half: “I could have played but Tom Rathman didn’t want me thinking about my knee out there”.

Well good because 6 carries were too many for him in this game. That’s right, rest the old warhorse already!

7. Chico says:

How bout them Niners eh? Great win against a tough opponent! Cheers!

Best win since the Giants playoff game win w/Mooch in 2002 or was it 2003?
    Somebody correct me, but it looked like that Hunter TD run was a result of an audible by Smith. If confirmed, I sure can’t remember Alex making many key audibles that resulted in big plays, let alone a huge TD play. Hell, he used to rarely even make audibles. Can you imagine Nolan or Sing coaching in this game today — Hostler or Raye being the OCs? We knew those coaching crews were horrid, but now it is absolutely clear how much difference smart coaching makes…

9. twinfan1 says:

I didn’t catch the name, but one of the asst coaches( not Roman) suggested the Hunter call to Harbaugh. And he listened…
    Alex does audible , though. “Smith often calls two plays in the huddle. When he rolls his fists, he is saying β€œlet it roll,” which means go with the first play. When he gives the second signal he says, β€œkill,” which means kill the first play and go with the second.” I also read that he audibled out of passes to Gore runs several times against the the Lions ( his worst game until the game winner to Walker)..

• phil fan says:

That was a great call and play. Chuck said Miller had a key block, another person said it was a lineman. Gotta agree with snarkk that Coaching (plus good draft and FAs) is what is making the difference this year. It’s been too long since we could say that…

I think they should rest Gore for the next game, let his ankle/knee heal up for two solid weeks. Hunter should do fine, and Dixon came in today, did alright — it would be good to get him some game reps in case he’s needed down the stretch. Backs that don’t get some regular game reps sometimes are fumble risks when called upon in a pinch…

• phil fan says:

Agree 100%. I’m not surprised Gore was ineffective today besides that the Giants were determined on stopping him.

Running backs fade quick. WE need to find out what life after Gore will be like and get the youngsters some playing time. Let him rest up for the Steelers and then run him no more than 15 times. Our run game should be alright with Hunter, Dixon, Miller in there. We can still control the game with those guys. Gore doesn’t have to carry this franchise anymore. Anyway he can’t anymore sorry to say. They’ve overused him already.

11. twinfan1 says:

If you missed it, New Orleans beat Atlanta in overtime after Mike Dunderhead Smith went for the first down and failed on 4th and 1 from his own 29…

Yeah, unreal call there. Belichick or Reid don’t even make that call. That’s giving NO the game. Unbelievable.

Frankly I couldn’t believe Coughlin went for it with 2:22 left on 4th and 7 on their 34, but he was behind by 7 and didn’t wat to give the ball back to us with not a lot of time.

I think caughlin’s call with 3:33 left was idiotic regardless of the outcome. He could have punted and shut the Niners down with a 3/out (a likely outcome with them running the ball without Gore). Why risk the game at that point on a 4th and 6? Maybe the saw something in the D and they knew they had it. Still, a risk taken that was in unnecessary.

• snarkk says:

That long throw that worked could not have been a sure thing at all. He was taking a huge risk, but I liked it. NFL coaches are so friggin conservative, it’s cool to see a coach go for it like that and it worked, even if it were the opposition…

15. twinfan1 says:

Actually there were more than 3 minutes left, making it even stranger.

16. twinfan1 says:

I’m a dollar late again.

I was listening to ESPN radio and that idiotic woman announcer Amy whatshername was foaming about what a surprise that the Niners are this good, that this win is surprising since the 8-1 record had been suspect since we all knew it was full of wins against the weak NFC West opponents. No wonder the East Coast people don’t know shit about West Coast teams, they listen to totally uninformed dolts that somehow have a national audience…

18. twinfan1 says:

Yeah, they’re a staggering 1-0 against the West..

Chuck– outstanding job of listening to the masses and breaking the blog pages up. You’re a true man of the people. When your team is 8-1 your blog has to mirror their success. I love this place, it’s a perfect spot to yang around in between the baseball seasons.

• phil fan says:

Flavor you got it right on, chuck is da man! For me it’s mainly cause I can say FUCK on national TV or whatever this is… And talk about Catholic school, WWII, boozing and all manner of crazy shit without worrying old Mother Superior will raise her ugly head or sumpin’

• winder says:

Chuck – this is the place to be, thanks for getting it going.

20. twinfan1 says:

I think that reining in Denny and getting rid of the Spitter has clearly paid off. Sanity is returning to the blog. Good job.

21. Berger says:

winder- You post of the day is looking insightful!

• winder says:

Yeah, I wonder what’s up with that. Anyway, what a great fucking game. I love beating anything from NY they are such poor losers. And, totally thrilled for Alex, he just continues to show everyone where to put it. Lol.

Kevin, I’ll move that to the new post.

NEW POST new post NEW POST