Game Day — Another One Bites the Dust . . .

At least I hope so. Busy weekend, so I’m getting this up early. Anyhow, I think this game will be the unveiling of the deep passing game. One that hasn’t clicked with Crabby Crabs. The NFL Network guys had a laugh at the expense of young Sir Alex by saying he can’t hit the deep ball, but he should continue to throw to the wide bodies (Staley and Ice, whose name no one seems to know how to pronounce) and forget going deep. Ha ha. Whatever. All this kind of shit works in the Niners favor, as it fuels the disrespect angle that coaches like to use as a motivating tool.

Game at hand? Well, the one thing Washington has going for them is decent pass coverage. This game will be (I think) one where the Niners come out running to bring up the safeties, and THEN go deep. The Washington offense is a definite work in progress. They’ve been decimated by injuries up front, and they gave up 10 sacks to the Bills last week. This does not bode well for Washington. They benched Gross Rexman in favor of Beck, but look for the return of Grossie if things don’t go well. I’d imagine they are going to try quicker passes to get the ball out of Beck’s hands faster than our rush, but we’ll see. Their run game is middling, but with Hightower out, it’s even worse. Matt Millen was gushing over our front 7, calling it the best in the league and they all felt the Niners take it. I of course feel the same way, and I think Braylon Edwards has a big day. The 1st 100 yard game by a Niner WR sinceΒ when, the Garcia days?

251 Responses to Game Day — Another One Bites the Dust . . .

Phil, I was going to p/u Reggie Bush last week and am still regretting it. I drafted him originally. Once again I’m showing my strength as a fantasy GM.

General Mook

2. Kevin says:

The announcer just made a good point, Niners have only played one game against a division opponent.

3. grumpyguy says:

Okay, WR got away with a major pushoff against Tarell.

Still a game here,.

5. Kevin says:

Onside kick?

6. grumpyguy says:

VD with the recovery. Turn out the lights, the party’s over.

Glad he used his hands there.

• phil fan says:

Actually Chuck replay looked like it went through his arms and landed in his lap. Better to be lucky than good I guess.

Leading the West by 5 with 8 to go. We got the DIV

Yep Davis got it. Good hands VD

Winning ugly . . . It’s their 4the east coast roadie win . . .

The prevent defense has resulted in another 8 pts being given up.

When I kill the man who invented it. It will be by water boarding in a tank filled with great white sharks and convicted felons who are ex-whale harpooners.

11. Kevin says:

6 in a row, not since 97? Nice

Chuck– you should go into settings and limit the # of comments per page to 75-100. The way u have it now it takes forever for the page to load when you use a smart phone

Tebow time . . .

Hyuk.

14. twinfan1 says:

I’d have more problem with the prevent if hadn’t taken 16 points to tie- at least they made the Skins use time- we all hate the prevent until the other guys get a quick score because of a blitz,..
    anyway, best catch of the day from VD..

Players are acting like this is business as usual now. That’s different

Chargers need to knock off the Pack in SD. Vincent Jackson starting hot, ditto Rivers

• phil fan says:

Sure enough V Jacks gets 6 from Rivers opening drive. Sorry those are my 2nd (Bolts) and 3rd favorite (Pack) teams. I went to HS in Wisconsin during the Lombardi era out of Manila and found out about football out there. Later moved to SD but I’ve never wavered from the 9ers since 1981

Hey, Phil. Where was V. Jackson last Monday night when ya needed ’em?

That’s right. It was the Halloween matchup that decided our fantasy fates. You got the trick, I got the treat. πŸ˜€

• phil fan says:

Yeah you got it, he did nothing last week. Hey but they beat the Pack today- all will be forgiven, harhar

SD’s d is great except for Rodgers runs.

Ticky tack 30 yard penalty.

If you are going to call hand checks, you can’t allow pushoffs by the WRs..

WTF were the Fish thinking winning today and hurting their chances in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes. Just another reason to fire Tony Sparano. Even when he wins he loses.

That was surprising and KC? What happened?

Rivers, dude this is not good. TO = TD for the Pack

Rivers just threw a Pick 6. It shouldn’t have been a Pick 6, the Chargers missed about 6 tackles on the return, but still…

There were rumors that Tebow might be benched next week in favor of Brady Quinn (really?) if he played poorly this week vs the Raiders. He just threw a strike for a TD to take a 7-3 lead.

He must have prayed extra hard this week. God likes him.

“God hates me.” Richard Dreyfuss (Jay Trotter) in “Let It Ride.” The greatest movie about horse racing ever made. And the place horse in that movie category was Twice A Prince. He was the one who finished behind Secretariat in the Belmont.

ANOTHER Pick 6 for Phillip Rivers. Who drafted him in our fantasy leagues?

I’d call you a mook, but that would give all the other mooks in the world a bad name.

SD touchdown . . .

Denver punter drops the snap and passes out of his end zone.

Raiders cannot do anything right. 1st down on the Denver 19. Run for 0, Holding call.

26. twinfan1 says:

*No* team or coach with any self respect at all tanks games for a draft pick–speaking of self respect, there is no way the Raiders can lose to Tebow and have the guts to go out in public…

27. grumpyguy says:

Twinfan wins the internets for the day, for managing to get “Raiders” and “self-respect” in the same sentence.

Weird-ass game today, I tell ya that. All the audibles at the line? All that seemed to do was cause confusion on our part. They were ALL runs as well. Not sure what that was about. No deep passes to speak of. Except the dropped VD pass.

Still and all, a win on the road back east. Gore gets 100+. Smith gets 200 yards, a TD and no picks. 3 turnovers forced to one for SF.

SD just went with a 2-man rush on 3rd dn vs Rodgers and gave up the 1st down.

Prevent defense = Death Threat Denny will fulfill on his promise.

Raiders doing all they can to keep Denver in the game.

The Broncos are doing all they can to reciprocate in kind by taking 3 pts off the board and missing the subsequent FG.

Oops.

And that prevent defense move by SD just resulted in a TD for GB.

Hangin’ is too good for the inventor of that defense. I might make him sit down and play a drinking game with yours truly. Killing him by alcohol poisoning would befit the crime.

I just heard “Rappers Delight” on the radio. That’s scary.

Even more scarier is the fact that I still knew all the words to that song.

Denver is doing more to shoot themselves in the foot. They take for roughing call on the kicker, take the points off, and miss the FG. Classic.

Now we get the Tebow sucks! chant . . .funny shit

70 laps to go, and Rob’s pick of Carl Edwards is leading at Texas. If he wins that race and beats me in FF, I’ll have to kill him twice today. Either that or buy one of his Bonsai trees. πŸ˜€

34. twinfan1 says:

I’m sure someone has posted this before, as Smith is now getting compared to Dilfer and Trent’s Super Bowl season.
    Dilfer started just 8 games that year, and was 7-1, as the Niners and Smith are. It starts to break down big time after that- Trent had 12 TDs-but 11 interceptions. His QBR was 76.6, Smith’s is now about 100.Dilfer averaged 136 YPG, Smith 180+. So if Alex is to be damned with the faint praise as a “game manager”, his detractors willl need to add that he’s been a fucking fantastic game manager- and hardly Dilfer-like..

35. Ninerdog says:

Who cares if Smith is not Peyton Manning….Alex, not Justin or Aldon. Team win. That is all that matters. Alex would look better if The receivers didn’t drop some very accurate passes. No matter, the passing game will work itself out. Alex is more accurate than most teams give him credit for and that is OK.
    Can Green Bay feel the 49er’s coming for them yet?

• twinfan1 says:

The most obvious difference from prior years is how completely confident he is in this offense. He basically became the co-OC after Harbaugh gave him the playbook and had him run the the camp. We see a QB who is totally in charge on the field now.

36. Bozo says:

Being as the game was in Wash. it was on TV for me, what a fucking concept. I still don’t have any living room furniture but watching the game from my bed PRICELESS.

• phil fan says:

And we got a win for you to enjoy. This could easily become habit forming: “Gimme another win, just one more win right now, any kinda win right now”. Ok I’m addicted

37. grumpyguy says:

Since I won’t be here for Los Gigantes, I’ll make my prediction now: lots of FGs, tough defensive struggle, Eli makes one more mistake than Alex. 20-19, Niners.

• phil fan says:

Sounds about right grumpyguy. Enjoy yer trip and I’ll cogitate on my prediction for the score for a few days. Thank the Lord this one is in the Stick.

38. twinfan1 says:

Rivers intercepted again to seal it for the Pack- but huge effort from Rivers after the terrible start ( 2 Pick-6..)

Aaron Rodgers today: 21/26 for 247 yds, 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

He and Alex aren’t even in the same neighborhood. Aaron resides in Beverly Hills.
    Alex? Hunters Point.

• twinfan1 says:

STFU. Different offenses- Packers CAN’T run. Aaron is great and fortunately for him he wasn’t drafted by the Niners or he might be BURIED near Hunter’s Point. The pass rush in 2005 would have killed him. Now get back to your bottle…

• twinfan1 says:

Seriously. only a pathetic troll would be trashing his team’s QB after a 109.7 QBR performance, moving his team to the second best record in football. No one would ever dispute that Rodgers is a great QB but only Death Threat Denny would still be disparaging Smith…

• phil fan says:

Let me check, did they both bring their teams to victory? Sure enough, that’s a tie. Yes the Sainted Packers (packers of fish, smelly goddamn fucking fish already) are one game better in the only stat that matters: wins. Fine, I’m looking forward to handing them their Foist and Last LOSS of the season in January.

Will my friend Del Mar cheer for the UQB then? Nah! But he might respect da team a bit more.

40. twinfan1 says:

Nice ballgame for Romo- proved he won’t choke in a meaningless game at home against a bad team. Progress…

41. robd says:

are we 7-1 ????

• twinfan1 says:

No thanks to Alex πŸ˜‰

• phil fan says:

Yes we are Sir Rob and YOU are 2-0 against the Crocodile Crocos you lucky bansai selling bastard. Not sure if you beat the maestro Denny (Hope so!) but if you did my mild annoyance will look like a molehill compared to Vesuvius. Actually Del was almost normal today! God love him!

7-1, how sweet it is!

42. Kevin says:

Nice article on ESPN about Harbaugh

They called defensive PI on the Baltimore TD that won the game ? The Ravens WR pushed off if there was any interference at all on that play. What a goddamn joke call. The NFL is becoming a goddamn joke as a whole with these “personal foul” calls and what not that are infiltrating the game. They’re taking away the forceful and intimating blows that have made the NFL what it is. Check that. What it was.

I know I speak for 99% of the fans who are thoroughly disgruntled with this change. Looking out for player safety? Fuck that. We could give a shit about player safety. We tune in each and every NFL Sunday to see destruction and player carnage. We want blood. You know what movie I watched early this morning before our Niner game? “There Will Be Blood.” I love that movie. I’ve watched that movie many a times before the start of our game to get me fired up. And I love Daniel Day-Lewis. I think he’s far and away the best male lead that American film has to offer. And his Academy Award Winning performance in that film was second to none.

Daniel Plainview is my hero. “Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I’m so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that’s a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake… I… drink… your… milkshake!”

Fans want blood. They grave blood. They expect blood. They need blood.

“There Will Be Blood”

• phil fan says:

You are right Dennis but many are the faint-hearted opposition

• Flavor says:

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? 99% of fans want to see blood on Sundays? I just want to watch a footb all game and, hopefully, a win for my team. And you need to watch a violent movie to *get up* for a football game? Your posts have gone past annoying and off base and have now become weird and almost disturbing………

• phil fan says:

Flav it’s just hype = hyperbole, amidst the purple prose. Football is a violent sport that can pump up the blood. Mix that with a bit of Al Q Hol and at the end of a long game you get such sentiments. For many a lot of aggression gets channeled into sports, esp. football.

Deep end Dennis is just keeping it real . . . Right. Among the insanity is a pretty good point. One I made earlier in the day regarding pass interference calls.

In the late games there were plenty of PI calls that were flat horrendous. Some plays you have the reciever shove the DB on their break to get clear. This is called maybe 10% of the time. It happened on the 2 pt conversion in the Niner game. No call. There was even one in the Balt game where the WR initiates the contact, and the DB gets the PI call. Terrible. Hand checking, or arm bars, get called most of the time. The point being, you CAN’T give the WRs every advantage. If you are going to call arm bars, or just the battling for position, then you can’t let WRs push off (the Michael Irvin) on DBs. If you do, the game simply becomes throw it deep and take the penalty. That’s the other problem. Making ALL PI calls spot-of-foul calls gives the offense a HUGE advantage on even the ticky-tackiest calls. 45 yard panealty for a slight touch of the arm? No prob.

As far as hitting goes, even the refs are lost as to what consititutes unsportsmanlike. Hard clean hits are getting flagged with regularity now. Goldson got one last week, and it’s now a joke that hitting too hard, even if clean, will get you a flag.

newpost newpost newpost