Another Road Win, Another Big Game Coming Up

Well, the 49ers followed their ho-hum victory over Cleveland with a very similar effort against the Washington Redskins. A physical bashing of the Redskins. Lots of trah talking, and scuffles. Got to like the attitude on this team. The run game was solid, with Gore going over 100 yards for the 5th straight time. A 49er record. He now sits 149 yards behind Joe the Jet for the all-time 49er rushing leader. The passing game was spot-on again, as young Sir Alex completed 17/24 passes for 200 yards, a touchdown, and no picks for a 109.7 QBR on the day.  As it stands, Gore is the 3rd leading rusher, and Smith is the 6th leading passer in the NFL for our 8th ranked (in pts scored) offense. The defense has 2 of the top 11 tacklers in Bowman and Willis, is #1 in points allowed, and #1 against the run. And, the Niners are 7-1 at the halfway mark.

And, here come the 6-2 Giants. They get to be the ones travelling across 3 time zones for a Sunday skirmish next weekend. Might have to hit Stub Hub for a couple tix. The Giants are 6th in passing yards, and 29th in rushing yards. Eli Manning is having a great season so far. One spot ahead of Smith with 2377 yards and 15 TDs against 6 picks. NY throws a lot, so expect to see some blitzes and a big day for Aldon Smith. NY’s defense is middle of the pack. 17th against the pass and 29th against the run. They do bring the pressure. Jason Pierre-Paul has 9.5 sacks, and Umenyiora has 6, and their wideouts Cruz and Nicks have been solid.

Again though, to me the Giants aren’t really all that spectacular. They’ve lost to Washington and Seattle. They barely squeaked by Miami at home last week, but won a tough game on the road vs NE, and they beat the resurgent Buffalo Bills. Their other wins? StL, Philly, and AZ. Yawwwwwn. They don’t travel nearly as much as the Niners, and they look to be sluggish to start off. The 49ers just need to keep following the script of getting ahead early, and letting the defense dictate the course of events. Force turnovers, and protect the football. I’d like to see a little more consistency in the offense, but the truth is, Cleveland and Washington are among the better defenses in the league, and there’s no shame in beating those teams. The 49ers have made their bones so far this year in beating some good teams, so I think they continue their winning ways.

31 Responses to Another Road Win, Another Big Game Coming Up

Got to love the eyes . . .

2. grumpyguy says:

The Giants should not be able to run much on us. We need to get pressure on Eli with our base four rushers. On offense, Alex needs another efficient game – convert some when he needs to, get around 200 yards, avoid the picks. Gore and Hunter need to get the yards running.

With our record, teams are starting to take us seriously. We won’t catch anyone napping from here on out. Our linemen had better come to play.

Yeah, the thing the Giants do well is put pressure on guys. The Niners in turn should be able to run on these guys. The Giants are 29th against the run. Save some plays like the wheel route, and go deep with Edwards. The pass to VD was on his hands, and he dropped it.

Crabs actually looked good yesterday, and I almost shot beer out my nose when I saw Crabs and Smith talking together on the sidelines during the game. Hey, theyre’s hope. Crabs did do a good job of blocking downfield on a few of Gore’s runs.

Hopefully Miller’s excellent blocking, and his TD will fully put to rest the idea of Norriss coming back.

• twinfan1 says:

Dwight Clark is practically contemptuous of Alex and the shit from the local guys is visisibly pissing Smith off. He was as close as he ever gets to telling the media to fuck off after the game yesterday. Clark is particularly ignorant, amazing from a guy who was a smart player. He does look like he hasn’t been good to himself post-career, maybe he’s lost some brain cells.

Wonder how bad Chicago gets beat tonight?

31-7? It ain’t gonna be close.

Everyone hung over from the victory???

Now that my FF team’s life is at stake, I hope Chicago wins . . .

7. twinfan1 says:

I’m too late to make a call, but I’ve never bought that Vick and that offense will ever be consistent enough. And you’ll excuse if I’m not upset by how many times he gets hit- at least the NFL doesn’t kill the losing team…

We’re going to see another game where we control the pace of the game and win the time possession game. Gore/hunter right down their throats. I love the idiot fans who rag on Smith for not throwing 300+ yards and 3 td’s a game. Um, idiots, we are a team that runs the ball. Smith has played brilliantly this year within this system.
    Sounds like Norris is finally healthy. Miller is a good interview, sounds like a good kid. I hope he “out practices” Norris and keeps playing…

• twinfan1 says:

And Harbaugh is a great coach but he can’t prevent his QB from making poor decisions and/or turning the ball over. Alex is second in the league in QBR under a blitz. You can’t coach a guy on what to do when 1000 pounds of enraged “meat” is about to bury him.. he’s making good decisions because he’s in a good system and he’s smart…Harbaugh provided the system and recognized Smith’s smarts…and their affection for each other is pretty obvious. People forget that Harbaugh was no instant success in this league, he had his rough times and plenty of detractors…they’re a great match, I think..

• Flavor says:

I haven’t forgotten that. I’ve even mentioned several times that I think harbaugh saw a lot of himself in Smith.

• twinfan1 says:

Didn’t say you forgot it,I made no reference to what you have said about them at all.

• twinfan1 says:

i was talking about “fans” in general, a pretty ignorant bunch. I’m aware of your thoughts about Smith and Harbaugh. You’ve been one of the few to embrace their “partnership”. I do still have an excellent memory…

Dwight Clark was the guy who infamously said in 1998 that Walsh had ‘lost it’ in regards to his draft evaluation skills. I lost a lot of respect for him then. When he (and Policy) went on to fuck up the Browns beyond recognition, well, it was all water under the bridge by then. Their antics of backloading FA deals for over-the-hill guys, and absolute horse shit drafts did more to screw up the 49ers than the Yorks did. Well, it was pretty close.

Norriss will get the Barry Zito treatment. They’ll keep rebreaking his foot to keep him off the field.

• Flavor says:

Clark has gotten ruined financially by his divorce. He was hired by my buddy to sign autographs at his sportsbar for a night. From my short interaction with him, he seemed like a very nice guy. Of course, he was getting paid $20–$200 for his signature and I’d say maybe 100 fans went through that line. Being back to square one financially, at his age, that’s gotta suck a little…

• grumpyguy says:

Walsh may have lost some of his touch towards the end, but he was still a hundred times the evaluator Clark ever was. Better to be an arguable ‘Has-been’ than a total ‘Never-was’, IMHO.

Tell ya one thing, Cutler has balls. He’s doing all kinds of weird shit out there.

PI calls are flat ridiculuos. All plays over 15 yards get a flag.

11. twinfan1 says:

Cutler is still ultimately a loser- but, as I said, Vick and his offense will never be consistent enough. He’s electric but he threw more bad balls tonight than Alex has all year. Can you imagine the “faithful” if Alex had thrown that last pass? They’d storm the field…

As far as Clark goes, he musta made pretty good coin as the GM of the Niners/Browns . . .

He on his 4th marriage?

Hey, I never liked the guy. He whined his way out of Denver, but Cutler certainly takes his shots and keeps on going. The Detroit game earlier this year was more of the same.

14. Kevin says:

RIP Smokin Joe Frazier

Clark, he’s one to talk about Walsh ‘losing his skills’. What did he ever do right in a front office, drafting, managing a salary cap? He never had any management skills to lose.

Speaking of our FF teams Chuck: My Crocodile Crocs are in another death struggle with Rob’s Rhinos. Last time they beat us by 2 lousy points and this time we are clinging to a 1/2 point lead by golly. Prolly get erased in the final tally and those wretched Rhinos will pull it out AGAIN.

Rob I haven’t figured out how to use the league message board so I’m grumbling here. You dog!

It’s official: I can start my gloating having edged out Rob’s Wretched Rhinos by a big 1/2 point! Wooohooo!