East Bound and Down

Loaded up and truckin’. Or flying, as the case may be. The 49ers are once again heading east for a game. This one somewhere near our nation’s capitol. Hope these guys are saving their frequent flier miles. We drove by a sign that said RFK Stadium, but we never saw it. I think it’s in VA, or MD . . .

Anyhow, Washington is a team in desperate straits right about now. They are tied for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the NFC East at 3-4. No one knows where the Cowboys are going, but the Iggles look to be getting their shit together. Wa? No. They have lost 3 in a row, and 4 of 5 games. Gross Rexman was a total flameout, and Shanny’s decent start has been followed up with a couple monumental (hyuk) floaters. After starting out 2-0, and (like us) almost beating Dallas, the Native Americans stood at 3-1, looking to beat the Iggles. Rexman threw 4 picks in the game, and was replaced by Jeff’s long lost brother John Beck. He staged a valiant but failed comeback, and then went into a death spiral of his own, losing to the Panthers and getting shut out by the Bills. A first for Shanny at any level in the pros. He didn’t even get shut out in his disastrous stint with the Raiders. Somewhere in hell, Al Davis is laughing maniacally.

So, where does that leave the 49ers? Well, they are coming off a solid yet flavorless victory over the Cleveland Browns. What has in the past been a daunting task, winning in the eastern time zone, has become something of a breeze this year. 3-0 on the east, with all the wins being the comeback variety. I don’t think we’ll even need to come back this game. Washington has a pretty decent pass defense, even without recent defector, Carlos Rogers, but teams are running on them pretty well. I foresee more of the same. With Braylon Edwards rounding back into form, I’d like to see the 49ers try to hit Braylon on a couple deep passes. The deep game is about the last thing to install on the menu of upgrades from the previous regime. And they really haven’t had the weapons to try and go deep. The Smith/Crabtree connection isn’t one, and VD isn’t really much of a deep threat due to his blocking ability, and the fact that there’s no one behind him who blocks as well.  That deep seam route used to be the ONLY deep pass in the 49er arsenal. Still and all, Edwards becomes the de facto deep threat due to no one else being up for it.

34 Responses to East Bound and Down

That’s the World War II Memorial by the way . . .

Chuck, RFK was the old stadium (D.C.) where the ‘Skins used to play.
    They now reside at FedExField which is located in Landover, MD.

It’s a wonder you hopped on the right flight to our nation’s capital.
    Don’t feel bad. I’ve hopped on the wrong horse a few times myself.

BTW, I’ll be releasing my Breeders’ Cup selections at a discounted rate this year. Not only will they be FREE, they’ll come with a 😀

Well, the sign still said RFK. I have no idea if FedEx Field is there or somewhere else.

Horse hopping? You and Catherine the Great, eh?

I can’t wait to get back in the discussion but gotta head out (down) to the city of Cagayan de Oro on the island of Mindanao southern Philippines. Born out here 60+ years ago while the old man worked at Del Monte (not Del Mar…) pineapple outfit. Now I’m back retired but still got a hankering to look in on our boys in SF- Niners!

“See” ya at the Wash game guys…Cheers!

Phil, have a great birthday and a coconut drink on me. “See” you Sunday for the Washington game. I’ll probably be 5 lbs lighter — in the wallet. Courtesy of the Breeders’ Cup.

• phil fan says:

Del you are a brave man if you’re betting on the Breeders Cup races. That’s a hell of a lot of handicapping. More than I could ever do but then you have a hell of a lot of handicapping, betting, horse racing experience I never will if I’m guessing right. Best of luck!

Birthday was fun, everybody happy, a good day.

5. twinfan1 says:

On ESPN, Rice said he didn’t respect the Niner’s record because they hadn’t dominated anyone. Well, Tampa beat Atlanta and New Orleans – does our 48-3 trouncing of them count, Jerry? BTW, Rice is looking greasier by the day. Whatever you’re having done to you, Jerry- make them stop…

• phil fan says:

He’s prolly still pissed we passed on DeSean Jackson. Hey maybe Rice, He’s the one looking more like Michael Jackson by the day? Maybe in the future during the Harbaugh regime some of our old stars will come back and be welcomed back into the fold. I hope so.

6. barleyfreak says:

Am I such a pessimist that THIS week looks like a trap game? I’ve been reading niners, niners, niners in the national media with #2 power rankings and all this discussion of the clinching the division, first round byes, etc. Add to that they are playing a 10am game against a team that seems more likely to inspire boredom because of their sucktitude and this gives me this decided you-better-not-take-them-lightly-football-is-a-crazy-sport-anything-can-happen feeling. And then to top it off I just read some ESPN dude pick this game as the upset of the week. I feel like that Hanna Barbera character that was always grumbling (“We’re doomed. We’ll never make it”)

On the plus side, and in the grain of salt arena, I will once again remind everyone of my preseason prediction of 5-11.

Rice and Young have not a clue about the current 49ers. Young has thrown Smith under the bus numerous time in his ramblings over the years. What;s he saying now? Uh, well, he’s doing good in a different system . . .

Rice? Didn’t know they brought him back as a talking head until he showed up to TOs ‘workout.’ He was right that TO was about 6 weeks from game shape, but we haven’t ‘dominated’ anyone? GB squeaked by Minn and Carol, and have played a lot of weak teams. They beat down Denver? Big whoop.

Barley, at this point they are all trap games. No one this side of Skeebers predicted anything like this. If things go according to plan (win the ones they should, lose the ones they should) then 6-3 (and 12-4) is the predicted outcome of the next 9. They could beat a team they shouldn’t (say, the Giants) and even go 7-2 down the stretch. They’ve already passed their supposed tests this season in winning on the road, coming from behind, beating teams they ‘should’ beat, and beating teams they ‘shouldn’t,’ and winning supposed ‘trap’ games (crushing Tampa after the big comeback vs Philly, and the Cleveland game after the bye).

9. twinfan1 says:

Shanahan can’t be happy about getting shut out for the first time ever, but unless we make mistakes, I just don’t see how the Skins can win. Grossman has the talent for a big game but also the “talent” for the big stinker. So they’re going with Beck, a decent third string QB. And they can’t run. So yeah, we’ll have to lose it. Should be about like the Brown game. Then we can start getting pysched for the Giants.

10. robd says:

lol ! i remember driving thru washington on a day when we played against the skins ! being me i of course had to stop in and watch the game while i was there !

we won !

11. robd says:

i think i drove past RFK too CHUCK !

BTW , this game scares me BIG TIME !

12. robd says:

this game scares me ! we play a talented team at 1pm. on the road on the east coast !

Their defense is good, their offense is not. I don’t see them getting more than 10 points. If that.

27-3, some shit like that.

17-13 George Allen. “Three Cheers for the Redskins”

He used to give his players ice cream. I like that kinda coach.

Believe it or not, there’s actually one thing worse than Alex Smith —
    My horse picks. I give the word mook new meaning.

Now my jockey is making excuses for running off the board at 8/5.
    I don’t believe in excuses. I believe in the electric chair and firing squads.

16. robd says:

DEL

have you lost any more money since our last phone call ?
    lol

Are you kidding? I lost more money during our last conversation.

Rob, btw, almost in as big a shambles as my horses is my yahoo! FF RBs. You’re catching my team on a “good” week. I think I might have to start Ryan Torain at RB vs our 49ers.

Our #1 Defense vs the run is due to give a RB a 100+ yd game, right?
      Right. Just like my horse is due to find the winners circle.

You know you else is due? Jesus. You keep waiting for that sumbitch.
      I’ll keep waiting in line at the $50 window. See you at confession. 😀

49ers run/pass ratio this season: 53.6/46.4. Rest of the NFL: 43.2/56.8.

Somebody needs to remind Jimbo the NFL is a passing league. I’ll give him credit. He knows he doesn’t have a QB, so he doesn’t expose him. Well, I got news for you. Come playoff time you need your QB to WIN the game, not manage it like ours can only do.

Run the ball/stop the run come playoff time becomes passé . The Packers ran the ball a total of 13, THIRTEEN times in last year’s Super Bowl. You guys know me. My first exclamation on these blogs some 6 years ago remains the same…

THROW THE GODDAMN BALL!!!

18. twinfan1 says:

You’re a fucking idiot- everytime they’ve needed to throw to win- they threw- and won. Somebody needs to remind you- your schtick is old and tired. Get a new one or take the Ledger.

19. twinfan1 says:

The sucess of the offense, especially the lack of mistakes, is almost entirely because of Alex Smith and his diligence in getting the men on board with Camp Alex. He *is* still under wraps to an extent, but it’s more the offense as a whole as much as Alex. The line cannot protect if they ran 7-step drops and many deep routes, they have not have a reliable deep threat (Ginn, please?), and, of course, why fling the ball around like a brain dead pizza boy when the running game and defense are as good as they’e been.

20. winder says:

I don’t see how we could lose this game either. I know the Skins D is pretty good but I can’t see them being that good. Making mistakes, a poor game plan, and a couple of balls that bounce their way is the only way we lose this game.

21. twinfan1 says:

Night all. Any LSU/Alabama predictions? Miles is no Einstein, I go with Alabama by 10.

Well, it’s in Tuscaloosa, so Bama has an edge. Les Miles though will figure something out.

35-31 LSU

I haven’t seen too many predictions on the Washington score. Ok here’s my wild ass guess: 25-10 Niners. Don’t ask me why “25” I dunno

24. winder says:

phil – I thought I was dead in the water with my numbers in a football pool being 25-15, it was the Giants and somebody I can’t remember now. But it came through. I don’t think I have ever seen a score like that since.

25. winder says:

Lol, my #’s were 5-5 and the final score was 25-15.

NEW post new POST NEW post