Jim Harbaugh gets his first win

Well, game one is in the books. Crazy-ass game. Just when it was getting scary, it turned into the Ted Ginn show. 276 yards in KO and punt returns, and his 2 scores late in the 4th quarter sealed the game. He outgained both offenses. The D played well for the most part, barring the breakdown in the 4th quarter.  5 sacks and innumerable pressures werew good to see. Seattle didn’t run for much or pass for much.

Young Sir Alex? Well, he played what they gave him. Didn’t see the deep coverage, so it’s hard to see what was going on downfield, but he did miss aan open Crab in the end zone early on. Smith was more a victim of some questionable play calling in the red zone more than anything else. 1-12 on 3rd downs will not get the job done. 1-5 in the red zone won’t get it done either. Seattle seemed very intent on not letting Gore beat them. As he has had some of his biggest games against them. They forced the game into Alex;s hands, and he did OK with the sort passing game.

My fears of the defense being out of their depth proved to be unfounded. At least against Seattle. Jackson isn’t Romo, but the pressure was in his face all day, and the defense caused their share of havoc all game.

All in all, a game to build on. Let’s hope they give it a little more gas in the red zone next week.

153 Responses to Jim Harbaugh gets his first win

1. twinfan1 says:

It has been explained perfectly clearly to all of you, If you are still so woefully ignorant of NFL football, don’t bother those who do with your idiotic posts. The game plan was NOT to throw the ball down field against this team. There will be games, perhaps this week, when longer throws and a more aggressive offense ARE part of the plan. The offense that was planned was executed, period. Spitfuck’s ridiculous assertion that the offense won’t ever be opened up is unsuuportable bullshit, as always from this moderately entertaining imbecile.Alex “feel the pocket”? One could hardly be better in that regard than he was Sunday.Henne had over 400 yards , Orton over 300 last night. Did those yards make them better than Smith was Sunday? You’re a mental deficient if you think so. After Brady, the best QB last night was Campbell, who had very similar numbers as Alex but had the benefit of a running game. Alex will get his yards and his TDs, when the opponent and the plan call for it. Now make an effort to enjoy the win- they aren’t easy in the NFL, regardless of the opponent.

• Kevin says:

The league has changed the rules so drastically in favor of the WR and the QB that todays NFL is a passing league. Your most successfull teams do it regardless of the opponent. No I am not an Alex hater. I think he has skills, but over the last 6 years it has been all about the run. How do you evaluate a QB that just hands off the ball.

• twinfan1 says:

This is why it’s difficult to have reasonable discussions here.When in doubt, you guys just make shit up. And making grand statements of how the offense is going to unfold after just one game is in the books is flat stupid. That’s no opinion, fact.

2. Kevin says:

The Jets are another prime example of a team that will not win a SB. There offensive play calling does not have Sanchez thowing the ball down the field.

3. grumpyguy says:

Twin, for a guy who calls everyone he disagrees with a troll, you throw around a lot of insults.

I have news for you, not everyone who disagrees with you about Alex, the passing game, politics, or the price of tea in China is a “mental deficient”. Fact is, there are some bright people here. Probably brighter than you, as a matter of fact. Last time I checked, no one here was the Undisputed Authority on All Things Football on the Internet. Spit might think he is, but he is five and crazy.

Chill.

• twinfan1 says:

I have news for you, it has always been the Alex “dislikers” who hurl the insults, buddy. All I’ve posted is that he had a solid, not great, not bad, just a solid effort Sunday. And anyone who could dispute that IS a mental deficient or biased well past being able to fairly judge the outing. The first fucking time I posted here in the “Spit Era”, I made a positive post about Smith, and he’s demanding my fucking address. Hopefully Rob will stay aboard and others who aren’t sycophants to the assholes Spit and Denny will join the conversation. Fact is- you people consider yourselves the only knowledgeable observers and will happily fabricate to suppport your positions. I saw that Spit called Billick an “idiot”- as with Dilfer, that all stems from the fact that both like Smith- as do other “experts”. There is certainly room for argument on that but it ain’t happening when Smith is actually trashed for a good outing.

4. twinfan1 says:

Grumpy- this had definitely been a Hate Smith blog with the insults being directed at anyone who said anything positive at all about Smith.If you can’t take some in return, fuck off. Your pals here have threatened him and anyone who likes him. It’s you guys who need to fucking chill, pal.If you want reasonable discussion, be reasonable yourselves. Chuck shut down the last blog because of Denny and Spit, and this going in the same direction,.

Just ignore Twinfan,

He thinks Alex Smith is good. Why debate with that? I’ve stopped. It’s guys like Twinfan that kill a blog. Do yourselves and the blog a favor by ignoring Twinfan.

• twinfan1 says:

You and Denny killed the last blog. “Dennis is fucking relentless. He and Spit are why I killed it. ” You want this to be your private spot to spew hate and ignorance. A birther and a blog Nazi. Quite the pair.

Grump,
    You almost hit the nail on the head. I AM five, I AM crazy, but I AM the world’s greatest football authority. I’m the sharpest marble in the linen closet, and don’t you forget it.

Look, Mike. I killed the last blog due to the death-threat shit about Alex and shit directred at you.

That has stopped. If Spit and Dennis want to rail on Alex, fine. So be it. At some point, I’ll tell them to find another topic to rail on. Whatever. I just ignore it, because it is a moot point. Spit understands that the Niners are stuck with Smith. Maybe Harbaugh gets a big season out of him. Maybe not. Most likely it;s somewhere in the middle. Dennis? Well, he’s here . . .

I wasn’t thrilled with the offense, but that was more game-planning rather than Smith’s performance.

New POST

NEW post

new post

NEW POST

Other things we can talk about besides debating Alex Smith

1.) Micheal Crabtree – is his “lingering” foot injury just a way to keep the Niners from restructuring his contract? If you restructure Ted Ginn, you restructure Crabtree. Crabtree isn’t worth 5.5 million per year especially if, for perspective, the Niners pay Edwards 3.5 per year.

2.) My fantasy football dominance week one. Last year I didn’t play because Singletary’s military in Seattle left me sleepless for a month. He, and Fredo, broke my heart. This year, however, I’m impervious to the great depression that ensues after the hype bubble bursts only because our hc looks to actually has substance. But, if you want to heap praise on my team and how amazing it is drafting out of the 9th slot due to my good buddy Del wanting to suppress my greatness, by all means, I’d love to debate the greatness of my fantasy football team and my amazing football knowledge.

3.) Who’s going to be our starting FS? Maybe it’s going to be Reggie Smith after all. As far as the preseason goes, Unca’s right in his assessment of Goldson. Goldson didn’t look good at all. Madia Williams (sp?) looked good on Sunday. That hit where he called for unnecessary roughness made all the past football greats roll over in their graves. I betcha, when Goldson and Smith are healthy, there’s a good competition between the two. If Goldson loses, after losing out in the free agent market, he needs to get really serious about trying to stay in the NFL. Carlos Rogers looked good – textbook pass defense in the endzone. That guy could be a keeper.

4.) Where are the seven step drops? I know this leads to an Alex Smith debate, but Harbaugh is no Mike Martz. I want to see seven step drops. Know why? They get your qb killed. Maybe we can borrow Mike Martz for a month.

10. twinfan1 says:

I don’t give a shit if they and the rest of the blog want to rail on him. They’ll just need to learn to take it and like it when opposing opinions are posted. You have three or four posters who think this is their private hating grounds. No more.

An amazing throw and a great catch. Alex doing this without crab and Edwards? Hmmm. Impressive. Denny, now I see why you pussed out so quickly on the qb rating bet. Good move.

I don’t give a shit what spit/Denny say about Smith. I think it’s funny, except for the idiotic death threats. And if romo somehow ends the game with a better qb rating than smith, so be it. I haven’t checked where they are right now. Anyone got that #?